Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Flat Fields and Grassy Land (Manori! This is for you!)

Started by Anonymous, October 16, 2009, 10:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

He didn't know where the little gryphon went, he thought he saw her heading to the rear of the wagon. Perhaps she wanted to go and investigate the entire thing. It was a good wagon, nice to travel in. He liked it well enough. He could hear her inside the wagon doing something but he wasn't exactly sure what at this time. Perhaps just...snooping through his things. He almost expected to see her pop out with her head trapped in a bucket or one of his shirts.

He waited for the creature, she finally found him as she came around to the front. "Careful now!" He told her as she jumped onto the bench, causing it to bounce and make him steady himself by grabbing onto the side of the bench. He'd have look at it in a town and secure it better apaprently. The wagon was a few years old, he would expect there to have some repairs needed eventually.

He was very surprised however as she hopped up onto him and trying to preen his hair. He gave a very odd look at her as she continued trying to do that. He didn't have any clue what she was doing, instead he found it just...cute really. She seemed like she was being playful to some degree.

"Well uh...we're going north now. There's a town about fifteen leagues away from here that I'd like to stop at for the night. Then the next day toward the north east to pick up my shipment." He told her as he gave the reigns a small motions, causing the horses to begin pulling the wagon forward. It was a small jerking motion at first, but nothing serious as the horses got themselves up to a decent walking speed.

"So Luna, can I ask you something? You look...like a Gryphon but...I have a feeling you aren't. They usually have uh...curved beaks but you have a very definite straight beak." He told her as he reached to try and fix his hair and let it all fall back into the proper place.

Anonymous

Luna watched and purred softly as Narak directed the horse to begin their travel.  It was likely that they had done this same path so many times before that they could do so without direction.  To relieve some of the weight of the wagon, she thought it best to glide off to the side a bit and ahead of the horses as to not spook them from behind.  Creating swirls and somersaults in midair, she showed her acrobatic skills as she excitedly rose above the wagon, looking ahead to where he'd said they were heading.

She could not see a town just yet, but was sure she'd be able to make out something on the horizon before nightfall.  Night meant sleep for her, but she was so excited that she could easily see staying up through it and into the next day before she tired of her artistic flight.  She did not normally fly like this of course, as it made it difficult to see where she was heading.  However, seeing as there was very little near the dirt road and how open it was, she decided to have a little fun.  She also may have been showing off just a bit.  If ever she had the ability to, she was sure she'd love to share the gift of flight with him.

"A shipment?  Like a package?" she was weaving from side to side now, gently gliding against the soft currents of warm thermals.

She smiled softly and gently landed back onto the bench, being a little more gentle than last time.  The horses seemed a little agitated far as she could tell, but ignored her for the most part.  She would have to get used to them, just as they would have to adjust to her, but Luna was sure with time, they would learn to work along side one another.

"A gryphon?" it surprised her to hear that he knew of her distant cousins "I've not seen one in a very long time.  They are our ancestors of sorts, but more like ummm . . . cousins I suppose is your word for it.  I'm what is called a giphen.  I can weave magic, unlike most gryphons and I am much smaller.  It is said in our history that the giphens came when the world turned cold and there was not much food.  Less food meant that we needed to become smaller, in turn needing to eat less.  I am not sure what you know or how you learned, but we do not sleep in the colder months," she paused for a moment, figuring she was talking too fast again.  The last thing she wanted to do was to cause any more confusion.  "The colder months are mating season for us.  If the air is not cold enough, then our egg cannot be fertile, "she blushed on that last fact, wondering if it had been necessary "Sorry . ..  I just have not spoken to anyone in so long.  Did not mean to get so personal.  I'm a giphen, a small gryphonic species."

Anonymous

He wondered if she knew that the horses were used to carrying heavy loads, and she really wasn't a heavy, or large creature. However, he also wondered if it was just because she liked to fly. He'd admit, if he had the power of flight, he'd do it too. Sometimes he wished he was able to harness up a couple of pegasus to the front and back to do aerial transporation. Shipments would go a whole lot faster really. However, this was going to do until they got such abilities.

"Like a package, but several packages actually. As a merchant, I buy and pick up shipments of wares to sell in other places. The travel might be straining on some, but the profit is rather excellent." Narak explained to the little gryphon, smiling as he watched her flying beside him. He was glad that she seemed to be having such a good time with him. She landed beside him on the bench, though it was a lot smoother of a landing than when she had hopped onto it.

He actually listened intently as she explained her to race to him. He was really interested in hearing about their relation to the Gryphon, and apparently she wasn't actually one. She was something else apparently. He didn't even seem to become disgusted or embarrassed when she talked about their mating season. Narak just thought she was being chatty and talkative really. It didn't really seem like a whole lot of trouble, he just listened to her as she spoke.

"Don't worry about it Luna! No harm done. A giphen though...that does clear up a lot of things." He reached over and gently scratched her behind her ears again. "So, what is it you do with your time? Do you just...hunt, fly around, that sort of thing?"

Anonymous

Luna purr-rumbled as Narak caressed behind her ears again, she could get used to this! It was interesting to hear about his lifestyle and how he worked, not having worked in such a way her entire life.  A thought suddenly crossed her mind and as she was about to dismiss it, she decided to share it instead.

"These packages . . . are they already made for some, or must you see if they like them?  I bet it would be quick and easy work if I were to help you deliver the ones that already have an interested two-legger.  Are the packages larger than me?  I can carry small things," there she went again, too many questions in such a short span of time.  She would have to learn to slow down and pause now and again as to not chat off an ear.  Still, the thought of carrying a small bundle in her talons or even her beak and retrieving payment for Narak sounded like it would be very helpful for him.

Her time had always been her own, but it was a lonesome lifestyle and something she'd wanted to change for a long time.  Problem was that she'd not seen another giphen or gryphon around since she was just a fledgling.  She recalled the air being very cold that year and wondered if they all had flown Southward and had just forgotten about her.

"I spend most of my time hunting, but not just for food.  I am a collector, I enjoy finding whatever scavengers cannot eat or do not want and take it back to my den.  I have a few tools that I made over the years . . ." that was a lie, for in fact the brushes she had were stolen from a camp when she was more adventurous, "like my brush.  I use it to scrape away the dirt that I cannot remove without harming the bone.  It keeps my mind alert and off of other lonely thoughts."

She readjusted her wings as they were becoming stiff.  She gotten tense for some reason and now wondered if Narak had seen.  Luna hoped that he'd not noticed, as it was just a brief moment of stress washing over her and nothing more.

Anonymous

He gave a chuckle as she spoke about the packages. He should have remembered she probably wouldn't know about them. "Oh no, they're quite large actually, big wooden crates filled with merchandise." He'd also have to think about how to explain the selling process. He rubbed his chin in thought about that particular thing. "No, sadly there aren't any actual buyers...but there is a rising interest from the general populace down south way. If I take the shipment down there, I have a good chance of selling the entire stock." Narak explained to her, hoping he was making it easy for her to understand. Sometimes market economics could be a little difficult.

He had wondered about those little skulls of hers, and now her explanation made a bit of sense.

"Ahh, that explains a bit then doesn't it?" He mused as he reached over to scratch her behind the ears again. He hadn't caught the fact that she was tense, his attention was split down the middle between her and between the horses. They knew where they needed to go, but there were times that he did need to direct them. Sometimes they saw a nice big area of long grass and just had to go to it. If he stopped every time the horses wanted to graze he'd never get anywhere. His petting stopped as he reached behind him into the wagon to grab something. When his hand reappeared he was holding onto a dark blue silk shirt, with long sleeves that flared at the end with a trim of lace on the cuffs. "This is what I spend my time doing when I get bored or lonely on the road. This would be a garment piece for a woman however, though I do make clothes for both genders."

Anonymous

Luna nuzzled the blue garment as gently as she possibly could, taking in the feeling of it, the smell of it and the overall look.  How she would have loved to have something like this back in her nest!

"It's so soft!" she cried out, placing the fabric between two talons and rubbing ever so lightly.  "I have cloth in my nest back home.  I umm . . . am borrowing it from travelers.  I have nothing like this though.  What is it?  All that I have ever found in abandoned camps are harsh and scratchy so I put them under the furs I've collected."

She was slightly disappointed that she could not help with the deliveries, but perhaps she could still help in some way.  Luna watched quietly as Narak held the reins in his calloused hands, gently directing the horses on the right path.

"Is it hard?" she mused, her sight following the lead from his hands to where the horses trotted side by side "To direct them I mean?"

It is likely that they worked in unison with him, having spent so much time with him.  To her Narak seemed to have a gentle wave of motion that you just could not help but follow and flow with.  It was easy sitting beside him, taking in his movements.  Luna had even begun to mimic some of his motions, though she had not realized she was doing it until much much later.  Much of what she did and had learned was through observation, so it was no surprise that she was mimicking Narak even now.

Anonymous

"Well Luna, this is the very best of fabric. It's called Silk, very delicate, expensive, but worth the money." He told her as he let her feel it, carefully of course. If it got ripped up, he'd never be able to sell it, and those talons of hers were no doubt very sharp. He could see someone wrapping the rougher wools and cotton in fur to make it softer, they could get pretty rough, and no doubt they'd be uncomfortable to sleep on. Then again, his bedroll was made of wool, it kept him very warm when it got cold out.

He followed her line of vision as best he could, a small smile creeping onto his face. "The horses? Not really, you just pull the reigns left and right a bit to get them back on course, or you pull it back to stop them...give them a little jump with the reigns when you want to move them forward. Some men use whips but...horses are smart enough creatures that it seems wrong." Narak had never been whipped before while working, and as such, he had no desire to whip others when they worked. It seemed grossly inhuman, despite the fact you could get more done, but then there was the cost of the tired worker if they passed out from exhaustion. It was best to let people and animals have their rest when they needed it, and not push them to exhaustion.

Narak was very relaxed in that particular area. He knew times and dates, when to arrive and when to leave, he had ideas of approximations, and kept track of his expenditures so that in the end, they money and time spent would not be lost but instead would make profit. He hooked the reigns onto the post beside him as he got out his pipe and pipe weed, plus his little finger rings.

These, in his opinion were genius. Rings for your fingers with flint embedded into one and steel on the other. It allowed him to light his pipe easily. He poured a bit of pipe weed from the cloth bag into his pipe and used the finger rings to create a spark. When it caught, he began to puff on the pipe until he had a good smoke going. "Ahhh...so much better." He wasn't an addict, not by a long shot, but he did enjoy a good pipe.

Anonymous

Luna watched curiously as Narak gave into a personal habit, causing clouds of smoke to hover above their heads before being carried off by the wind.  Filled with interest, the small giphen chirped playfully at the smoke funnels, sniffing at the sweet smell it caused.

"Mmmm, what's that?  Smells good?  Can you eat it?" it smelled wonderful and if it tasted as good as the pork he had cooked, she was hopeful that he'd share a little more with her.

She enjoyed how peaceful it was out here, quiet and yet neither one of them were alone.  They were already quite a few wingstrokes from her den, still able to see the tops of the cliffs off in the distance.  For land creatures, the horses sure did more quickly, much more than she had expected at least.  It would be nightfall soon and she began to wonder what they would be doing before the night fell upon them.

"The sun is going down soon," she noted, looking up into the sky as the blues turned to purples, pinks and a soft orange.  Least it would be a clear night, making it easier for her to stargaze - another past time she enjoyed when she was not too tired.  It was not that she had been worried, she of course could see in the night plain as day, but what about Narak?  "Can you see in the dark?" she asked, deciding now was a good a time as any to find out.

Could the horses see?  Did he even rest in the evening?  Perhaps he had a lamp he could use to light the way.  That's it!  She could carry a light ahead of them so that they could keep traveling!

"I can light the way, if you have one that I can carry."

Anonymous

"This? This is a pipe...and there's pipe weed inside, it's a dirty little habit of mine but I enjoy it so." Granted the effects of smoking were minimal, no one really understood the relation of any of the more dangerous things, but sometimes the smell was very unpleasant to some people, depending on the particular pipe weed used. He just rather enjoyed how it could mellow a person out, and how it could help to pass the time. Plus he always did love using his little finger sparkers. He was going to try and market those, they were cheap, they were durable, and the best part was you could replace the flint.

"I'd say no against eating it however Luna, it probably doesn't taste that good." He never had actually tried to eat it, but it was just a plant. Though he could surmise that she'd find it terrible tasting, as it was something meant to be lit on fire.

Narak wasn't worried about darkness falling, however, the little creature spoke up and voiced some concerns. "Sadly I don't have the power to see in the dark. Though, what a power that would be to have." He had ways however to help out with that sort of thing. "That won't be necessary Luna. One thing you have to learn about humans, is that we are resourceful folk." He pulled the reigns back to stop the horses and got out, fetching from the wagon special harnesses that attached to either side of the horse. They seemed to be strong metal poles with special hook attachment and counter balances near the horse to hold the poles up and steady. The poled met in the centre and formed one pole, giving the horses each one pole to hover in front. Then he fetched two specially designed lanterns and lit them up. It took a bit of doing, but eventually the two lanterns were on separate poles balanced out in front of the horses. The lanterns seemed to be using mirrors and narrow exits to light the road in front of them.

"Humans have to get by with things like not being able to see in the dark, or fly, or burrow underground naturally, so we invent tools and devices to help us with these tasks." The lanterns made the horses look a little strange, but the fact that the wagon could still travel at night was a boon for sure. Narak took up his pipe and began to puff on it again.

"However, I would like to thank you for the offer." He told her as he sat back down beside and used his free hand to scratch behind her ears and pet the length of her body. Biting onto the pipe he used his second hand, now free, to grab the reigns and give it a light movement, letting the horses start walking again. They were used to the special harness, and to the light, and even seemed to appreciate it at least. The town wasn't too far away, and they knew once they made it there, they could sleep for the rest of the night and a good part of the morning. His plan of course, was to stay outside the walls of the city until day came, and he planned for a late breakfast as well.

All would be well.

"When we reach the town, we'll set up a camp just outside of it and enter during the day. Some folks see it as a sign of trust and respect. A man who just wanders in at night with a wagon isn't one that is highly looked upon. However, a man that waits for the light to return so people can see him coming get's a whole lot more respect usually." At the same time, the man who had his merchandise would probably not be awake anymore, and going into town would be a waste.

Besides, the night was somewhat warm, and the stars were out. Who wouldn't want to sleep outside at a time like this?

Anonymous

When we reach town? he'd not asked her to hide, to wait outside or to remain in the wagon.  How powerful of a word . . . we, meaning the two of them and not just him alone.  She was not sure why it had surprised her so, perhaps it was just admiration, that he was not ashamed or embarrassed to take her with him.  Then again, perhaps there were other giphens in the area that he'd not spoken of.  Perhaps that is why he was not concerned.

Luna nodded softly as he explained the respect and the law of the small villages.  It honestly made a lot of sense to her.  Night brought on many dangers as the night can hide many forms, so she could clearly see why approaching a town at night would be seen in a negative kind of way.  While it did disappoint her that she could not share his pipe weed, she still enjoyed the sweet smell that came from the smoke rings.

Watching with interest, Luna observed Narak as he hitched up a new harness to the horses, hanging lights at the front to help them see in the darkening twilight.  Out of all the creates she had see adapt from life changes, it was obvious that the humans were best at this.  They had no wings to fly, but what if they still could fly some other way?  They cannot see in the night, so instead they make floating flames to light the way.  She suddenly had an immense interest in their science as well as developmental stages.  Were they always so tall?  How long did the young stay young?  Were these changes and gifts earned or learned?

Such questions would have to wait until a later time.  It was getting dark and she did not wish to keep her companions up any longer than necessary with her rambling list of questions.

"It is a lovely night," she sighed softly, content as she looked up to the twinkling stars "There are so many of them.  When I was young, I used to try to count as many as I could . . . I never got far though," it was a game she had played with herself.  Most times she lost count, having to start over, or she would fall asleep well before counting the very last one.  "Have you counted stars?"

Anonymous

The trip toward the town wasn't going to take very long, and he would admit that he was getting a little tired. Not hungry though, he hadn't done enough stuff during the day to actually  warrant such a thing, but he was feeling a bit of fatigue getting to him. Soon there would be time to rest, once they got to the actual outskirts of the town. For now he'd stay awake and answer the questions of his little friend.

"Oh yes, I've looked up and counted them many...many times before." Howeer, the monotonous thought of counting them, shuffling slowly from star to star made him sleepy. He wouldn't need anything like that tonight however, as he was pretty sure that he'd be able to get to sleep without incidence tonight.

"It's a very calming thing to do." He told her as he took one last puff of his pipe before emptying the soft embers into the small metal bowl at his side. He put his pipe away and directed the horses to pull over as they reached the outer limits of the town. Once there, he disconnected the lantern harness from the horses before he undid the harnesses that attached them to the wagon. He did have to attach them to another harness that made sure they wouldn't wander too far from the wagon but it was less restricting for them. He set up their small trough again before he got his bedroll out, along with his large pillow and pair of blankets. One to lay on, and one to cover himself with. He stripped off his shirt and his shoes, as well as his stockings and pants, leaving only his thin leggings on. However, he did pull out another pillow and a blanket from the back of the wagon which he put on the ground near where he would be sleeping.

"Here Luna, you can sleep on this for the night, if you want. Should help to keep you warm, but I highly doubt it's gonna get real cold." Narak told her as he slowly climbed under his own covers, hands behind his head as he looked up at the sky. Ahh, it was a really nice night...a great time to sleep outside. Not a cloud in sight, and not even a strong breeze. A very good night to fall asleep outside under the sky.

Anonymous

Luna smiled gently as Narak undid the horses and left them to graze at their will.  The three of them seemed to have such a wonderful understanding of one another, through body language alone; something she was sure she'd learn in time.  Odd that she'd not eaten much during the day and yet she was not hungry.  Perhaps in the morning she would go hunting early before the others were awake.

The kind invitation from Narak caused Luna to come out of her daydream about a good bite of deer or quail to look at what was to be her nest for the night.  He was terribly generous, offering up a blanket as well as a cushion for her to lay on.  Purring softly, she flitted downward on the nest, nudging it in places with her beak until she got it the way she wanted.  Then with a heavy sigh, she curled up beside him.

Her eyes were closed, but she was not asleep just yet.  She allowed silence to fall between them, listening to her friend breathe gently as he slowly began to drift.  It was comforting to have another lying beside her, not for the warmth, but just to know that someone was there.

"Narak, what do you eat for breakfast?" she mumbled softly, sleep pulling at her wings.

She would have to wait until morning to hunt and hopefully, make a catch for them both.  Deer would be lovely . . . but a nice sized . . . she never finished her thought, having drifted off into another land.

Anonymous

For Narak and the horses, this life had become very routine for them. They had done this over and over again that he was pretty sure one day he could just sleep in the wagon and the horses would do everything from unhooking themselves and filling their portable water trough to setting up the light system at night. However he never really wanted to try, for fear that the horses would just keep going until they died. He had grown close to these horses, and the thought of losing them actually pained him. They knew him, they trusted him, they had been with him through all sorts of weather and even through floods.

His eyes were slowly drifting closed, but he heard a voice, from Luna he suspected. Who else would it be? "Bacon...eggs..." There was a muffled yawn as he covered his mouth. "Pan friend potato...still got some...bread for toast...little bit of jam...mmm." His stomach gave a small growl at the thought of it but he was too tired and much too relaxed now to do anything about it. Slowly though he drifted off into sleep beside his strange companion, the horses settling in to do the same near the wagon.

His sleep was peaceful and calm, his dream...well, his dream wasn't too important. He remembered a dashing lass he had met back in another town a few days back. Ah, that had been some girl indeed. If only he could have stayed longer. The morning light was already out when Narak awoke, throwing off his covers to get at his clothes. He promptly dressed and headed for the wagon to get all the supplies he'd need for a fire, and his food. The horses were still asleep, and he made sure to give them a bit more water before he started his fire. It wasn't a big fire, he more or less needed the hot embers instead of the flame. The flame would burn and scorch his cookware, while embers would give off the same amount of heat without scorching.

He started to cook up some of the bacon, filling the air with the delectable smell. His special stand that sat over the fire was big enough for him to set up a second pan, so he put a bit of oil into the pan and started cutting slices of potato and chucking them in. Already the breakfast was looking delicious, and he couldn't wait for it to finish. Patience however would be needed.