Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Digging for a Past [Open!]

Started by Anonymous, July 14, 2010, 10:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Nysit-ight... Nysit-ight, you of all people- you, of your people- should know the importance of relics of the past. They guide us, shape us, and remind us of the progress we have made as civilization. It may only be a trinket, but imagine its stories and experiences. We must protect the ancient, and become a part of it in our own time. I hope this will make some sense to you, someday."

"Naekan? Mister, I'm afraid this is as far as I can go."

The man's eyes snapped open, woken from a light slumber from the back of the gently rolling wagon. At least, it had been- now it sat on the edge of the slender dirt road, beneath the dark shadows of rigid mountains.

Huddled among sacks of grain and flour, Naekan turned to the woman seated upon the front of the wagon. Her face was bright and coated in a fine layer of sweat from the intense midday sun, the golden hair sticking to her cheeks. After sharing a hearty meal and settling once again into the horse-drawn wagon, the sleepiness of the day had caught him and carried him into a comfortable nap. Now, however, he had unwittingly reached the end of his easy ride, and would have to surrender to walking once more.

He rose to his feet and hopped out from the back, quickly trotting up to the woman's side. A friendly smile rose to his lips, and he bowed his head respectfully.

"Thank you very much for the hospitality and company, Dessere. I owe you a great deal, but I have little to give."

She straightened in her perch, looking down to the man with a twinkle in her weary eyes. Her hair would be graying soon, and years had taught her utmost courtesy. "Nonsense; I wouldn't accept anything you would have to give. Fixing my wheel is plenty enough." The woman gripped the reigns more tightly, drawing the attention of the portly mare who had begun to graze during this brief stop. "Be careful, though. Those mountains are no place for the inexperienced."

"Don't worry for me, ma'am." Naekan winked slightly. Calling a human ma'am always felt eerie. Though he look to be a decade or more younger than the woman, he surpassed her by centuries. "I'll be perfectly alright. Take care of yourself."

By the time the wagon faded from view down the winding road through the seemingly endless fields, the sun has fallen close to the horizon and terrific progress had been made climbing the steep pass through the mountains. Resting only once or twice, Naekan couldn't help but feel a growing wariness as the darkness of night blossomed. It would be moonless tonight, and under the cover of darkness, the path ahead would be visible by only a few paces. With no indication of any civilization nearing soon, he began to regret not making camp earlier and in a safer region.

The sun had already fallen as he contemplated this dilemma, and his pace quickened- not in fear of the night, but what lay behind the boulders and scraggly trees that guided his path. He would not find anything or anyone in this darkness unless he happened to trip upon it- and making his own light would make him the most noticeable object in the entire mountain range. Not to mention, camp would be dangerous among these rocky cliffs.

The jungle had never been this level of dark. Glossy foliage or trickles of streams reflected the smallest bit of light, and the familiar shapes were easy to establish in the blackness. But here, everything was its own jagged mess.

Seems there's little else I can do, he thought with an inward sigh. To find camp, he needed light, and it seemed no one else inhabited these mountains. Hoping for some safe passage and taking a moment to pray for it, Naekan raised a hand and gently blew across his palm. As the rush of breath tickled his skin, an eerie white glow enveloped his palm, giving light a few meters ahead as he held the hand aloft. To add to the strangeness of it all, his skin began to darken to a heavy brown, making even he harder to see. Casting a wary glance in every direction, he continued forward, wishing a cave or some safe hole would make itself known soon.

Anonymous

Out of all the countries less impressive than Adela, Nohx loathed Serendipity the most. Aside from the fact all Serenians were prissy, easy-going hippies, anybody that actually ordered weaponry from him chose the strangest locations to pick up their order—as if being seen with a blacksmith was some kind of social faux pas.

This particular customer demanded that Nohx meet him in the middle of the jungle in the Wester Highlands, and precisely at dusk, no later and no earlier; all Nohx could do was think about the bills he wouldn't have to worry about once the payment was collected. It seemed, however, that entering and leaving the Highlands were two completely different tasks. After two or three hours of wandering in what appeared to be circles, Nohx caved to his impulses and began cutting down any brush that got in his way through the use of his materialized soul-knife.

"Can't believe that in this day and age there're still jungles sitting around. What year is it now? And we can't even bother to raze a forest to make room for a few houses or barracks? Must be these damned Serenians and their tree-hugging..."

Grumbling to nobody in particular, the realization that Nohx's minor deforestation was leading him out of the maze was validated by the sound of quickened footsteps nearby. Nohx's military instincts kicked in and thusly he stopped to crouch down and observe. Whatever was nearby, Nohx could barely make it out, and it was walking on two feet. Hardly a man of subterfuge, Nohx decided to confront whatever was walking by in the most direct way possible. As the creature—in this case, Naekan—passed Nohx's hiding spot, he sprang out and released control over the channeled weapon.

"Hey, you! Stop right there!"

Though it took after the way that city guards acted and spoke, Nohx felt that the most direct approach was the simplest one. Whatever manner of man or beast it was, yelling in a commanding tone was sure to get its attention. All Nohx needed to worry about was the possibility that he'd have to kill a wild animal.

Anonymous

Naekan's heart had begun to still slightly with the more ground he covered, though still pumped the adrenaline of paranoia thick through his veins. The minutes passed slowly as he stepped with natural ease over roots and rocks, as though he could foresee each obstacle in his path. Palm burning brightly, he hurried onward until something made him pause.

Like a faint glimmer of light at the end of a tunnel, something appeared suddenly within his mind, a presence. It had been nearly impossible to sense earlier, but perhaps this was due to its odd nature; it seemed to be both living creature and earth. A frown settled on his face in confusion moments before the hulking figure stepped into his path.

Naekan froze as the light from his hand washed over the figure's eerie face, seemingly carved from stone and placed with human eyes. He stumbled back a step or two in bewilderment and defense- if this strange individual proved dangerous, he could surely outrun the massive foe. The trees were his natural element, and this creature would be stuck between the small footing and narrow trunks.

Yet, still... Naekan trusted nature more to humans, but what was this? Some strange new mixture of the two? Or was his eyes playing tricks on him, and the man was wearing some sort of paint, or a mask?

Still, as he stepped backward, his mind raced through the powers and spells he could conjure to slow this fellow. Force fields, tie it with vines, throw some powder in his face...

But it had spoken, and diplomacy was one thing Naekan could deal with. Taking another step back with his glowing hands raised in surrender- a perfect position for a magic user- he eyed the stone man darkly and asked slowly: "What do you want? I have nothing to steal."

Anonymous

At the mention of thievery, Nohx's face twisted in confusion; to be accused of committing any kind of crime was a great insult to the old soldier, and the general attitude of paranoia that resonated from this man was both annoying and aggravating. What good, Nohx thought, would it do to steal in the middle of nowhere? For a civilian to make such grand assumptions was to be expected, but that fact never kept Nohx from overreacting to the wildly irrational and condescending conclusions they tended to draw. One, or rather two, glaring items that set this person apart from the typical commoner were his raised hands—his raised, glowing hands.

Some called themselves wizards, others warlocks and mages, and Nohx had met his fair share of spellcasters over the years. There was no doubt that magic had its use in civilized society, but out in the middle of the jungle, to encounter a man with glowing hands was an encounter of which Nohx was suspicious. If Nohx knew anything about spellcasters, it was that glowing hands typically indicated that magic was being used or was about to be used. Violence was not Nohx's intention, however, and thusly the best course of action continued to be diplomacy.

"Alright, you quit with the glowing hands routine and there won't be any kind of fracas—I didn't come all the way out here just to steal a few copper coins off of random strangers."

Despite Nohx's words, however, he was slowly collecting the mental focus he'd need to materialize his soul-knife should the need arise any time soon. Making friends and talking like a peace-loving hippie was nice, but Nohx hadn't met one single wizard, or mage or warlock that needed to keep his hands aglow unless there was some kind of violence to be had. If this fearful stranger wanted to escalate the situation, Nohx would be ready.

Anonymous

Naekan felt both surprise and intrigue spring to the forefront of his mind, caught rather off-guard by the civility of the stone man. Most men of such a size were frequently prone to violence, brash accusations, and drunken parades of testosterone-fueled pride in honour of their own self. But amazingly, by some chance in this eerie and desolate landscape, he had crossed paths with one of the few soldiers who were willing to have a little discussion rather than spring straight to swordplay.

At the mention of his hands still radiating a soft homely glow, he glanced to them and curled them into fists. "A... fracas?" Sounds like a plant. Is it not a?... No, I'm thinking 'cactus'. "I ensure you I don't seek any fracases or... fraci..." The light flickered, smothered by his hands, and vanished entirely. With his skin pigment darkened to such a heavy brown, the night took over visibility, and he himself became a shadow among shadows. Naekan could barely distinguish the rough skull of the man who had apprehended him although he stood only a few paces away. His eyes darted left and right, attempting- and failing- to adjust to the new darkness.

Silence passed.

"...You haven't got a match on you, then, have you? A torch? ...Maybe even a scented candle?" The overwhelming blackness made him itch, nervous and uncomfortable. The hunter always preferred to know the movement of all things when he wandered in new lands, but here he stood blind and vulnerable. His own body was built with a variety of techniques to aid him, from the ability to glow to his heightened senses, but they were hardly useful when not a single sound was recognizable.

He blinked and lowered his hands partially. "And if you didn't come to rob a passerby- pardon the accusation- you didn't happen to 'conveniently arrive' for some more sinister purpose, by any chance?" Through over-isolation in his lifetime, clearly his diplomacy skills had yet to blossom.

Anonymous

"Cunel, dear slow down please! Can't we just make camp for the night?!" Zaspar continued his rushed walk seeing as his robes stopped any running. "My love if we want that gold we have to get this package you could go back home if you wish." "You know I'll never leave your side." Cunel snickered and slowed down to stay with her husband. " Thats my boy now let's go!" She turned the lantern slightly brighter so Zaspar could see what direction to fallow.

The jungle is not a place for city elves much less a defenseless priest.Zaspar thought as he fallowed the beam of light that was his wife.

" He might be a little girl but he is my little girl." Cunel said to herself as if someone was beside her she continued her trek on making sure Zaspar was close behind. on she wore the pants in this relationship happily.

Cunel ears pricked as she  heard two voice rough men voices. She turned off the lantern and ducked into some bushes. "Hmm sounds about fifty feet away, I better stop Zaspar before he gets his neck broken by those two."

Zaspar saw the light flick off and his comfortable walk turned into a rush for where he last saw the light. "Cunel, love where are you!? This isn't funny don't think it is!" He stopped and felt something grab his leg he jumped and screamed. "You idiot get down here!" Cunel dragged Zaspar into the bushes. "Why are we in here!?" He demanded from his wife. "Sush you two thugs fifty feet up,pray to who ever you pray to that they didn't hear your sorry self."