Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Dragon? In *Draconi* Forest!? [Castle!]

Started by Anonymous, October 24, 2010, 11:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It was hard, Latira thought, perhaps a little bitterly after she'd planned this, to find a patch of forest to cover her that she would actually fit in. But one could excuse her mood – she was, after all, the recipient of a rather persistent gunshot wound. And she was very tired. Very tired.

She'd found a place, though. Trailing blood every few hundred feet, she knew, but she didn't really care. Once she shifted, there wouldn't be much around big enough to challenge her. Perhaps a little careless and cocky in her thinking, but she was young. Only 700-ish. And she'd been asleep most of the time – which was exactly what she planned on doing as soon as she found a big enough spot.

After all, there ought to be places that fit her type in a place called the Draconi forest.

Seven weeks later:

Latira woke to a beautiful, sunny day. She woke in her regular form, mid-sized dragon, and she woke quietly. It was peaceful here, and although the trees blocked her from direct sunlight, she could feel the warmth in the air. Not that she needed warmth – being a dragon, she had a tendency to be warm. For a long moment, she considered going back to sleep.

But the birds were tweeting and flying and shit and she thought there was something nibbling on her horn. She opened her eyes. A young buck, a scent she'd grown used to since sleeping on a deer run, had just turned away from her with a dissatisfied flick of his stumpy tail. Her own tail, long with spinous plates of scales along its dorsal, flicked in response. Unfortunately, he noticed, and took off in a frenzied bound.

Well. There goes breakfast. She lifted her head, her expression only slightly miffed at her loss, and vaguely wondered if the farmers of Adela had any counter-dragon plans when it came to sheep theft. Her mind drifted for a moment from that, perhaps remembering where she was. Why was she here?

Oh... yeah.

She curved her thin, elegant neck, some of the spines standing up with the flex, and studied her shoulder. A good portion of the wine-red scales were missing, although a new layer was tenderly growing there. Her nose crinkled as she felt a cool breeze against the only soft, sensitive spot of her body. Humans were far too soft. Breakable. She didn't want to be one again. As her mind refreshed her memories, those yellow eyes, glowing slightly in the shade, narrowed. There had been something off about that last wound. Perhaps she'd overdone it in Connlaoth, or maybe it had been her slight abuse of inter-dimension travel, but it felt like there was a whole lot less of her now. Like there was a drain on her resources, and the magic level was going down. Except she couldn't feel it going.

It was worrying. She'd hoped it would have come back after this sleep, y'know? Like sleeping off a hangover? But she could still feel she had significantly less resources than she'd started into Connlaoth with. She'd actually expected her shoulder to be fully healed when she woke up.

Maybe the birds woke her up too soon. She glanced up at them. Maybe she just needed to eat something.

CastlesInTheSky

Blinding rain and rocks thin and sharp like shattered glass, sprinting away from angry faces and sliding on the slick, rocky terrain. Jagged peaks rose all around him, shaded in dark tones of blue and gray that gave him an escalating sense of foreboding. The wind was unforgiving and driving rain into his eyes, but at least it was pushing him away from the unmarked edge. His merciless pursuers seethed with rage, screaming obscenities at full volume, voices barely rising over nature's fury. They screamed for revenge, that thought driving them to run him down at any cost. But they didn't know...

He hadn't meant to run into them then....
he hadn't meant to insult them beyond repair...
he didn't mean to kill that man's wife.

Their voices got closer. He knew that they would probably all slide off the cliff soon enough anyway, but he wasn't to give up, he wasn't to be caught. He slipped suddenly, losing all balance and sliding to the edge of the cliff. He clung onto a small rock on the edge, but it wasn't enough. As he let go, everything suddenly faded to black, no noise, no wind, no rain.

Black eyes opened, all bad deeds forgotten for the time. Drake sat up slowly, grunting at his sore back. He looked around himself, rather confused. 'Where am I?',  he thought. My clothes are dry, and I'm definately not in the mountains anymore... He felt a warm breeze caress his face, green trees rustling leaves. Pleased by his surroundings, he stood, and surveyed his condition. Sore, but quite alright compared to what he could have been. A lovely pancake. He grinned to himself for a moment. That magic kicks in at the strangest times. Then, he realized how hungry he was. After all, he had been running for his life, and asleep for who knows how long. He instinctively reached into his pocket to pull out a slice of bread, then realized that he had plunged his hand into a moldy lot of crumbly mush. With a dissatisfied grunt he discarded the somewhat disgusting once-food, then decided to get himself something to eat the old fashioned way- hunting.

A while later he came back with a fat rabbit. For a reason he never could understand, hunger didn't come as often to him as to others. In fact, many things about him differed from average people. Never could he figure out what was exactly different, but he had always known he wasn't....human. It didn't bother him, the only thing that bothered him was the fact that he didn't know what he was instead. It confused him, but he often discarded this thought, as he did now, and prepared his meal. He only ate one meal a day, and this would be fine. After eating, at this point it being afternoon, he took a little walk to find out where he was.

During this walk he discovered something he did not expect to see. At first he just saw the faintest rust, then realized it was blood. He sniffed. It smelled different than normal human blood, somehow, but not particularly an average animal either. He had always had a strange sense of smell. He followed the blood, difficult becuase it was dry and not an exact path, and quite old. Then, he saw more red....but a different red. Scales. Shining scales red as wine and the somehow elegant figure of a dragon, somehow untouchable, refined in one way or another, perhaps the very quality besides their ferocity that captivated the minds of storytellers. He well knew, however, that the dragons were not just in stories...although he had never 'met' one himself. He peered out of the trees, knowing the dragon could probably detect him. Most people would run for their lives, but god dammit he was not most people. He said, quietly, "Hello."

Anonymous

She was, perhaps, not possessed of the keenest senses at the time. Whoever said dragons were morning creatures, though? They certainly had little cause to be alert, with little able to take them on and even less big enough to see them as a potential breakfast. Speaking of breakfast, those annoying birds were too damn small for her appetite. She wished she'd had better reflexes. That deer from earlier would be a goner.

It was only when she began to look for more of his size that she found something nearby. But it talked to her.

She hated it when breakfast talked. Her eyes narrowed a little, her head lowering towards him a few feet on that beautifully curved, swan-like neck. Gold glimmered on her underscales. A dark gold steeped in the read of the rest of her. For a long moment, she observed him like this, utterly still. Then she seemed to decide something, for she leaned back a bit and relaxed. Her tail, with a slim, lethal barb at the end, flicked. When she spoke, it revealed a relatively dainty mouth, with matching rows of small, sharp teeth. Her canines, like any carnivore, curved out more than the rest.

"Hello."

Her mind couldn't help but pursue him as a possible meal, but she knew she probably wouldn't eat him now that he'd talked to her. It put her off, somehow. She had a friend who appeared human. It wouldn't feel right.

CastlesInTheSky

((sorry for short post D: Won't get a time on here later today, and this is what I could get in 20 minutes))

Drake observed her carefully, not seeming in the least wary. He seemed curious and friendly in a strange sort of way. He smiled, sharp canines of his own revealed for a moment. Not were they to be compared with hers. He never knew there was a dragon so...well, refined in a way. Graceful. Polite? He had rather expected more of a confrontation. He said, "Did I....disturb you? I apologise if I have." He came out of the foliage and leaned against a tree, facing her. He adjusted his little glasses. Then, he said, "Also, I apologise if this seems rude, but...you seem hungry, so why didn't you decide to eat me when you saw me?" He looked at her with his strange, curious gaze again.

Anonymous

((No worries. I'm in the same boat - it's the week from hell at school. Also, I'm away from the 11th-13th.))

Potential meals shouldn't be pondering her reasons, she thought. They should shut up before she changed her mind. Her front claws, on a limb that acted as both leg and wing, tensed into the soil, scoring a few lines into the earth. With another flick of her tail, she regarded him again for a long moment, then looked away to dismiss her thoughts.

"I have a humanoid friend. She's put me off meals of your kind, although I could always make an exception...?"

The last sentence ended with her attention returning to him in a cool gaze, which lingered like the rest had.

CastlesInTheSky

Drake shook his head, looking amused. If only she knew he was just recently going to be made into some creature's dinner."Oh, you need not do that. I would taste terrible; like past lies, bitterness, and spite." He smiled a little, studying her for a moment. He said, "If you don't mind me saying this, are all dragons this...well, graceful? I've never met one before and that's what strikes me about you." He leaned back against a tree, giving her a lingering gaze of his own. He talked to her as if she were a human, as he didn't really care what shape, size, species she was. She was talking to him, and he was talking to her. A lovely conversation between two smart individuals, he saw it. He wasn't completely human himself, he knew, but whatever he was underneath probably would taste worse than anything else.

Anonymous

"Lies taste like sugar, if done right," she said, absently. When he spoke again, she laughed.

Her laughter was low. Throaty. It could almost be mistaken for a growl- it had that rough reverberation. Behind her, birds fled the bush. There was a substance to it, an earthly rumble, that the trees wouldn't soon forget- and neither, she suspected, would he.

"No," she said after, though her laugh continued in the word, and amusement tilted her head as she looked at him. "There are a lot of different- far different- kinds of dragons."

There were two small slits at the end of her snout that were her nose, and these almost flared as she restrained the draconic equivalent of a smile. She moved then, shifting her newly-scaled shoulder into a new position. For a moment, there was a flutter of her wing membrane as the outer finger of the sail briefly detached from her lean forearm. Reflexively, she slid it back in position.

Her stomach growled.

"Have you seen any sheep around here?"

CastlesInTheSky

At first he was a bit startled at the sound she made, blinking, then he realized it was laughter. He smiled a bit, a tad amused at that. He didn't know dragons laughed, either; he was learning new things every minute it seemed. His smile, though, was a tad off, as he was feeling the ground beneath his feet rumble at the great sound. It was something to remember, he was sure.

"Really, far different sorts of dragons? Interesting." He then wondered if dragons smiled, quite absently. He shortly realized that perhaps he wouldn't want to see it. Teeth now were all that crossed his mind. At the question about the sheep, he replied, "I do think I saw some for the brief time I was here, they would be in that direction." He guestured the way he had come.