Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Written in tongues (Aderyn)

Started by Lion, December 28, 2010, 09:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Eleven in the evening.  The clouds were congealing, the moon was high and cold and a gust swept through the reading room.  The time for winding down arrived and for the first time in months, the high lord of Darken Vei had not decided to sleep in a ditch or with the hounds that night.  Not such lordly behavior Mrs. Dou would snap at him.  Housekeepers had a knack for not minding their own business when he was away.  Despite that however, he respected her opinions and gave them a thoughtful nod and let her go on about her business.  As long as they didn't interfere with each other's daily routines, neither had any real objections about what the other did.  Dou was good at her job and that's what he'd hired her to do.

Neodoryx had a steaming cup of tea in one hand and lounged in the largest, puffiest chair in the reading room.  It was low-backed enough that he could lean his head back on the top of it, his long hair thrown over the other side and he reclined negligently, holding the cup stably with his right hand.  He sighed and closed his eyes, his bare feet propped up on top of a footrest.  Though he didn't open his eyes, he could feel the presence of someone enter the room.  "Are you leaving soon Mrs. Dou?"

"Very, your lordship.  Is there something I can get for you before I depart?"

"Yes," he said.  He sat up and placed the tea in front of him and turned to look at her directly.  "Please bring me one of the biographies on King Joplis from the lands of the west."

"Which one, my lord?"

He tapped his lower lip in thought.  "In the Emperor's Shadow, if you please."

"Sir."

Dou's bones cracked as she bowed and headed off toward the main library.  Neodoryx leaned down to grab the tea and brought it up to his lips to sip accordingly.  He jumped up in surprised when Dou returned so quickly with the book in hand, handing it to him as she did so.  "Good gods, woman, a little less stealth would do wonders for a woman your age, Mrs. Dou.  Please don't sneak up on me like that again."

"I do apologize, my lord."

He set the tea down and let his fingers grace the cover of the book gently.  It was covered in dust and something he was sure he hadn't read in years.  It certainly had been years since he'd sat down and actually enjoyed reading a book that wasn't written in lost languages.  Still, any accurate depiction of something that happened in a land far away was bound to be recorded in a language uncommon to here, which was well enough.  "How did you get it so fast—"

"Sorry again, my lord, but I just remembered now you received a message earlier today, an invitation to a ball hosted by the matron of the Morans of Atlas Verde.  A minor house I think it is."

"All the way from there?  Why would she host a ball here?  That's quite a curious thing to have done.  In any case, thank you, Mrs. Dou.  You may leave now.  Leave the invitation on the table on your way out."  Neodoryx nodded to her while she spun on her heel and departed, leaving the note on the table at his feet.  "Have a good evening!" he shouted after her, remembering some part of his manners, as she rounded the corner and closed the door behind her.

He turned his attention to the copy of the book in his hands.  With the grand collection of dust on it, he could barely read the gold-embossed letters on the cover and he traced his fingers along them, rubbing the dust away.  He blew at it, a cloud forming, and opened the book delicately.  Surely it hadn't been that long since he touched this book.  But it already was falling apart and the binding was brittle, leaving several pages loose.  Apparently the angle he'd been sitting at made gravity yank several of the looser pages from the middle of the text and they scattered across the ground.  "Damn the devils," he cursed and kept the book open as he leaned down to collect them.  They were rather out of order, using strange symbols for page placeholders and when he had them all in hand, trying to sort them out, he inspected each one until one page in particular did not fit with the others.

It was clearly a parchment page of different make, and not printed upon with a sort of typeface.  It looked to be journal entry and it was torn out from the way one elongated edge of the page was rippled along and the sheet was creased as if from being gripped.  And it was written in a scratching hand in a language that was clearly Common.  Neodoryx read it to himself, pulling the journal page closer with increasing interest.

"... must admit, I was rather intrigued. My desire for knowledge comprises more than just magic. I am still vastly interested in what traditional medicine has to offer. So I inquired further after the new technique (Dr Hennes mentioned it was called trepanation), but as all physicians do, he thought it important to recount the history of the patient. He told me the patient's name was Leigh Pratt, and that he was insane. Apparently, he had been reported to draw his sword in overcrowded streets and stab down any number of people around him, while hysterically shouting "why won't they die?!". Of course, none of his victims survived, but there were enough eyewitnesses to confirm the events. When he was arrested and taken to the insane asylum, he was reported to talk in his sleep, going on and on about "shadow people" and immortals. Frankly, at the time the good doctor told me this, it hardly interested me. I was anticipating his description of the new technique, and not at all patient enough to listen to the adventures of his subject. I have to say, when he finally did come to that part, it struck me so much that even in here I must mention it, though it is not my scientific journal. The patient must first be sedated and restrained. Then one takes the new device (which was shaped like a metal tube, with a sort of nail coming out the end, protruding approximately half an inch), and places it on first over the frontal lobe, and next over the right and left lobe of the skull. Then the physician takes a small hammer, and taps so that the device sinks into the skull, thus destroying the stones of madness. I was still thinking it over when Dr Hennes left me on my own, pondering before the fireplace. And when I had gone over the technique almost endlessly, there was room again for the conversation prior to it, including this patient's history. Something about what the doctor said about him suddenly got me thinking. Something in the things he said and about his behaviour rang a bell. It was a tiny one, in the very back of my mind, nagging at me. It took me the rest of the night to figure out what it was, but once more, I was obliged to my memory. There were resemblances to a story I once knew, a children's story at that. I almost started doubting my own sanity when I came up with this answer, but the image in my head was unmistakable. A remnant from my past. Excitedly, I went through the lower shelves of books in my study, and eventually found the book that used to be my very favourite in childhood: EDGAR & RENESSE'S TRADITIONAL TALES OF BYGONE TIMES. It is a collection of many tales with a strong morale, but the one that I was looking for is actually one of the more obscure ones. I thank my brain for recalling the name of the ..."

That was it.  No name of the entry-bearer, only something called Edgar & Renesse's Traditional Tales of Bygone Times whatever in the world that was.  Neodoryx sat back in his chair trying to remember the place the name took in his head.  He couldn't have possibly read the book as a youngster, he was too busy studying to place his head within folk tales.  But the name surely struck a curiosity in him and he sipped his tea in thought.  Perhaps he could find this book, and maybe better understand what the writer, whoever they were, was talking about.  For now, he tucked the entry away in his robe pocket and reached for the invitation of the ball.  It was to be held in the city of Caliburn, at the center of the city a fortnight from today, was it?  Just what he needed, a moment to hang around the stuffy nobility that he could only be apathetic about.  But he was the high lord after all and it was necessary for him to keep up appearances at the very least.  He had a responsibility to his people and his nation, even if it did mean he didn't get to enjoy himself.  For once, maybe that would change.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

"Oh mother, will you please stop fussing?"

"I most certainly will not. It's humiliation enough to have a daughter who simply cannot refrain from playing a soldier and a tramp, I will NOT have you looking like one in my house."

"But it isn't even your house!"

Adelaide Moranin threw her daughter a gaze that was to be reckoned with, and moved to stand behind her with large, definitive strides. Lucy clenched her jaws and firmly shut her eyes for a moment, feeling the sweat in her palms begin to form already. Right at this moment, she couldn't think of anything she hated more.

"Hold your breath," was her mother's command just before she yanked the strings in her corset to pull it tight. Lucy yelped and gasped for breath. A barely suppressed snicker behind her caught her ear and she growled. "Can't acquire beauty without a little pain," Adelaide said cheerfully.

"I don't WANT to acquire beauty," Lucy hissed angrily, sucking as much air in her lungs as possible while her mother jerked on the strings. "Yes, well, I'm afraid you'll have to. There are some eligible and respectable men attending the ball, so you might still have a shot at regaining your honour, AND the family's." Imperturbable, Adelaide continued forcing her daughter into unwanted pieces of clothing.

Lucy buried her nails in her palms, all too familiar with this speech. She also knew that if she would say anything about it, it would continue all the way through the dressing. So she decided to keep her mouth. No need to make tonight any more unpleasant than it had to be. When her mother decided the corset was finally tight enough, her fingers plucked at Lucy's tattoo. "Such a shame there's no way to get it off anymore," she said with a dramatic sigh. "But luckily I found you a dress that should cover it all, so this time there's no need to worry."

She held up a long-sleeved, expensive, dark green dress.

Lucy cringed.

Adelaide had not dared to leave her daughter alone to finish dressing. Luciana had built herself a solid reputation for sneaking out of any opening in the wall's of her family's residence, especially at this sort of occasion. So every detail of her appearance was presided over by the female head of the family, up to her hair and her nails, and Adelaide even managed to force Luciana to wear some makeup. It wasn't much, but at least it made her daughter look presentable.

"You will dance with everyone who asks you tonight," she said sternly before pushing her daughter into the ballroom that was already filling. After watching Luciana move to a corner of the room while nicking a glass of champagne off a servant's silver platter, Adelaide joined her feeble husband in welcoming the guests near the door.

Lion

Time had a way of creeping up on people especially when they were the least suspecting of it.  Neodoryx didn't bother counting the days until the gala ball that he was invited to.  It was like a little bird that was perched on his shoulder, chirping a mini reminder here and there when he was preoccupied to think otherwise.  He would sigh exasperatedly at the thought of going and knew that he could politely decline, like he normally would.  But ever since he'd read that diary entry, he hadn't been himself.  He'd become almost obsessive with trying to uncover what it could have meant.  Who could have left something like that in an old book?  How did the book come into his possession?  Was it always there?  What was it about it that he couldn't put his finger that made him obsessive about it?

Then the day arrived to finally leave to Caliburn while he was piled high with paperwork, notes and one thickened, worn copy of  Edgar & Renesse's Traditional Tales of Bygone Times.  He had squinted in the candlelight, beads of sweat dripping from the immense heat of the room, all in the midst of fifty plus candles that were lit with little reason beyond creating more light.  He'd gotten ready in the nick of time, bathed and thrown on his best set of dress robes.  With his hair tied back into a slick ponytail, he had entered his carriage with his entourage of guards surrounding him.  His mind was not on the gala or who would be there, only the mysterious note.  At first it seemed like a coincidence and maybe it was, but if he didn't know any better, it was as if it had called out to him.

His arrival at Caliburn came without a hitch and he emerged on location while his guards occupied themselves with remaining at entrance and exit points of the gala hall at the center.  Already the celebration was underway.  Just what the celebration was for, he didn't know, but he figured that the least he could do was enjoy himself while he was here.  

The herald at his side belted out as loud as he could as he approached the entrance.  "Ladies and gentleman!  I present to you, the High Lord of Darken Vei, Neodoryx Acaulian!"  There was a hush as he ventured forth and saw the greeters of the celebration, Neodoryx raised his hand and bowed gracefully.  "Ah you must be Lady Moranin of Atlas Verde," he said, taking her hand and kissing it then shaking the hand of Lord Moranin and greeting him as well.  "Thank you for inviting to your ball.  I barely made it in time as I see the entire thing is already underway!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Lucy eyed every man who even looked in her direction as fiendishly as possible, and as a result most of them stayed away from her. One had the courage to ask her her name (apparently she wasn't too infamous in Darken Vei yet as she was in Atlas Verde), but after a deadly gaze and a couple of rather sarcastic remarks he, too, took his leave. The only man she welcomed was her brother, Osmond.

"My erratic little sister," he smiled while he pulled her into an informal hug for a moment. Lucy kissed his cheek. "I've missed you, Osmond. How have you been?"

He nodded thoughtfully. "I've been well, thank you. Richard has been asking whether you'd come to visit." He winked at her. Lucy grinned. Her nephew was almost her own age, and had an inexplicable affection for his aunt, much to Adelaide's malcontent. "I've been thinking about him," Lucy replied, fidgeting on the fabric of the green dress in a failing attempt to make it more comfortable. "I bought him something, actually, so maybe I can swing by here again tomorrow and bring it. Or maybe you could swing by my place. One night in mother's presence is already more than I can handle."

Amusedly, Osmond shook his head. "You are as unpredictable as the wind, but in some things you will never change."

Lucy grinned knowingly, but the conversation was interrupted when the music suddenly died down and a marvelling hush went through the crowd. Frowning, she turned towards the entrance, where she saw some hotshot enter gracefully, followed by the gazes of at least a hundred women both young and old. Still frowning, Lucy accepted Osmond's arm and together they moved closer towards the scene, so that they could just hear the conversation between hosts and guest of honour.

"My Lord, it is SUCH a pleasure to have you here," interrupted Adelaide the almost inaudible stream of words that left her husbands mouth. To Lucy's humiliation, she saw that her mother was actually blushing beneath her powdered mask of make up after the Lord kissed her decorated hand. "We are honoured that you would come here during our stay, as it might not be very long. People around these parts speak very highly of you. Perhaps you wouldn't mind being the first to lead me to the dance floor?"

Lucy cringed and covered her eyes with her hand, unwilling to see her mother stuff a few more feather's in the peacock's already stuffed ass. Osmond nudged her when the music began again, and with embarrassment in her eyes  she looked up at him. He was trying to hide his grin, but even this forty-year-old nobleman had some boyish characteristics left.

"That was without a doubt the most sickening display I've seen in years," was Lucy's disgusted comment. Osmond chuckled. "Come, little sister. Let's dance. It would do me good to be seen with young beautiful company for a change."

Lion

The reactions around him were usual for his entrance, and he paid no attention to them.  To see the high lord of one's own province for even the most common of commoners was...well, an uncommon thing.  And Neodoryx didn't make public appearances a habit, even if speaking to his denizens came naturally.  He merely bowed to them all and offered his professional smile.  He nodded his head to Adelaide as she fawned over him.  "The honor is with me, Lady Moranin.  I wouldn't mind taking you over to the floor, but with your husband's permission first."

A glance at Lord Moranin told him everything he needed to know of the relationship between he and his spouse and that there was no permission to be had.  Maybe only in the unlikely event that another woman would want to dance with him, then maybe she'd have to ask for Adelaide's permission.  Neodoryx exchanged glances with him, offering a mental apology and only nodding with pity.  Returning his attention to Adelaide, he merely bowed and took her hand.  "It will be my pleasure to dance with you.  Please come with me."  When they were out on the floor, the music started up again and the crowd parted to make space for the high lord and his current partner.  No doubt, between the various breaks he would take, he would be forced to swirl around the floor with more than half of all the women here.  But it was all a part of the job and Neodoryx accepted it gracefully as he always would.

The music was beautiful and he focused on that instead of Lady Moranin.  He kept the conversation light and pattering, all the while keeping his mind in and out upon the entry he'd found, the invitation, the obscurity of his findings, the music...the music?  Oh right there was music playing here wasn't there?  Where was he again?  Right, the ball!  The ball, and he had to be in the moment.  "Exactly what are you celebrating here, Lady Moranin, if I may ask?" he said as he spun her.  "Caliburn doesn't see many of these events unfortunately, but every now and again when one does show up, all the local nobility will flock to it like flies to a flame.  But why now?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Adelaide was perfectly happy with a divine partner like Neodoryx. It was their tradition to open the ball officially with the first dance of host and hostess, but this was a far more agreeable alternative. She bathed in his glory, loving all the impressed glances other women threw at her. No doubt they'd have a lot less nerve, and lacked the courage to ask the High Lord.

Adelaide gave Neodoryx her loveliest smile. "We came to see our daughter, my lord," she explained. Although she had a thorough disgust for her youngest daughter, her voice was like liquid chocolate when she spoke about Luciana. "She's been living here for quite a while now, and unfortunately she only rarely visits. That's her, right there.... with... my son Osmond."

The Lady gestured in her daughter's direction, and rolled her eyes. ALWAYS would she find a way to escape her mother's wishes. So much for the perfectly good education Adelaide had given her. So much for gratitude.

Lucy saw her mother's gesture, and quickly hid behind Osmond's broad frame. "Hide me!" she hissed at him. Her brother glanced around, eyebrows arched, but his surprise soon vanished when he saw Adelaide approaching in the dance hanging in Neodoryx's arms. He sighed.

"Luce, you can't hide forever, you know," he stated. Lucy scowled angrily at him.

"Yes, the poor dear still needs a suitable husband, but she refuses to marry," Adelaide continued melodramatically. "Out of fear, perhaps. I never understood her well. She's always busy solving mysteries... exploring... that sort of thing. But we're more than happy to see her whenever she ... has the time."

Lion

Muscle memory taught him to dance divinely and he let that take over as he murmured and listened to what this Lady Adelaide had to explain in terms of the ball.  It really was exquisite he had to admit, if a little gaudy, as if a troupe of troubadours and jesters had exploded in a rain of color and glittering guts.  Interesting enough, he was surprised that there was no such entertainment here.  Even in Darken Vei, known for potent mages and elementalists, it was not uncommon to find performing magic users here that put their skills to good use.  He should have recommended a few of them to her.

"Oh, is that so.  That sounds like a perfectly nice thing for a mother to do for a daughter.  I did not know Atlas Verde blue blood had lingered here, or I would have made better arrangements for her to be received as a formal guest here in the province.  But I think you've done a wonderful job all on your own, my lady, to show your appreciation for her.  Surely she thinks of the same for you."

Neodoryx swung his head around to view the direction where Adelaide had gestured and spotted for a brief second the woman she referred to as her daughter.  She was a good-looking lass for the moment he saw her and he smiled at her and her brother, nodding in greeting.

"Husband, hm...  That can be an important thing for a young lady," he said absently, not particularly interested.  "I would not worry about her, though.  You ought to introduce me don't you think?  I would love to meet the rest of your family."  He smiled like a real gentleman though he was probably going to regret saying what he said later on.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Adelaide almost fainted with pleasure. All evening she had been hoping the lord of Darken Vei would show up. And now he had done that and more. He wanted to meet Luciana, of all people! Adelaide could not possibly imagine what he saw in her youngest daughter, but if introducing him to her led to something she would be overjoyed.

"Oh my lord, I couldn't agree more!" the elderly woman squeaked excitedly. "And perhaps reintroducing her to society anyhow would not be a bad idea," she hinted next, a plot starting to form in her mind. If she could force Luciana back into the circles of nobility by the powers of the lord of Darken Vei, the girl would never be able to run anymore. There was only so much anyone could do to avoid someone of his stature and importance. Perhaps this would be the loophole she'd been searching for. A smug feeling grew inside Adelaide.

"Yes... the girl has been estranged from the real life a bit, I'm afraid," she added, careful not to say anything that could throw Neodoryx off the subject of her daughter. "It would do her good to be among civilized people once more."

Just then, the dance ended, and after a quick bow Adelaide hooked her arm through Neodoryx's and brusquely guided him towards Osmond and Luciana.

"My lord," she started with a suspicious sparkle in her eyes, "I would be proud to introduce you to two of my children. Osmond --" the second eldest bowed just deep enough to show his respect "-- and Luciana."

Lucy was watching her mother's behaviour with obvious disgust, and only remembered the rules of etiquette when Adelaide shot her a fiery glance to match her own. Sighing deeply, Lucy curtsied before the high-ranking gentleman, glancing sideways at Osmond, who was having trouble not to laugh at her.

"Honoured to meet you, my lord," he said quickly, recomposing himself.

Lion

If only this peculiarly happy Lady Adelaide had known the real reasons why the lord of Darken Vei even bothered to show up at all.  It wasn't because of any genuine interest in who she or her family was.  In fact, he hadn't even heard of her until now, but the very fact that there was a celebration of any kind involving nobility had called for him to show up at some point.  It was all in a day's work really.  Meeting this woman's family was all part of the process.

"I doubt she's so uncivilized," he found he was saying to himself.  Adelaide just quickly led him to the other side of the ball floor and began the introductions of her two present children.  Neodoryx quickly put on his best smile and bowed too after she had said their names.  "It is wonderful to meet you both, a pleasure truly.  Osmond and Luciana.  Your mother here has been telling me very good things about the both of you, especially you, Luciana, if you don't mind the first name basis."

Neodoryx pulled his arm carefully away from Adelaide and stepped forward to shake both their hands formally and civilly as if here were a mere commoner himself.  "I hear you live in the province, which part?  Is it here in Caliburn?"

[You can just make up a region.  I'm creating things as I go.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Luciana and Osmond raised their eyebrows almost simultaneously, both sincerely doubting the "good things" Adelaide had said about her daughter. And apparently a high lord could get away with immediately starting on first name terms, because Lucy didn't see her mother flinch once. She just stood there, beaming with that suspicious glint in her eyes. She wondered if this meant she could call him Neodoryx as well now (and heavens, who on earth would be so cruel as to call a child Neodoryx?), but it would probably be rude to ask...

Lucy fidgeted with her uncomfortable dress, unable to figure out the mathematics of this etiquette thing, and coughed softly before answering. "No, I don't mind as long as you don't call me Luciana. I can't say I agree with my mother's taste in names. Lucy, if you wouldn't mind. And is this... first name basis a mutual one?"

In her peripherals, Lucy saw Osmond slowly turn red, turning to Adelaide before she could bite Lucy's head off and before he would burst out in laughter. "Mother, I don't think you'd mind lending me a dance, right? After all, I couldn't bear to keep a respectable lady like you away from the dancefloor."

In Adelaide's eyes was a strong mixture of plain shock and ice cold disgust, and they stared violently at Lucy as the owner was pulled away from her by Osmond. Unmoved, Lucy watched her mother until she disappeared in the mass of dancers, and then turned back to Neodoryx.

"To answer your second question; I live in a village closeby. Illadion. Perhaps you've.. passed through it, once or twice. I tend to avoid cities, as my parents have some connections here, and I don't like to be associated too much with nobility."

She sent the High Lord a cheeky smile, curious as to how he would react to her straightforwardness. After all, he was a noble, and nobles never said what they thought, but what was to be expected. Lucy had never gotten the hang of this. When there was something in her mind, it just had to come out.

Lion

Neodoryx never wanted to be High Lord.  It wasn't exactly a position that was thrust upon him at birth, as it usually is with unwilling recipients of noble titles and responsibilities.  It was more like the fact that his own brothers were twins that couldn't decide on who ought to take the role and slaughtered one another in a duel.  Being the next in line of the immediate family, Neodoryx had little choice in the matter.  Though all of the Acaulian children were instructed in the same matters of proper etiquette as any "High Lord," Neodoryx was better off with his nose buried in a scroll, reading by candlelight if so be it.  In a sense, the man had to improvise as he went along, not quite sure if it really was all that proper to go by a first name basis when it came to lower nobility.

He watched just as he was about to answer Luciana's question as Osmond swept away Lady Adelaide, almost thankful he didn't have to shock the poor woman into a stupor just to get her off him for a few seconds.  She seemed almost too sly and clever for her own good.

Turning back to the moment at hand, Neodoryx offered the young woman a smile and bowed his head as he sighed.  "It is, if you don't mind calling me by my first name.  I certainly don't, er, Lucy."  The name sound strange rolling off his tongue, almost unnatural.  This going through the motions thing would have to take some getting used to all over again.  Sometimes such dilly-dallying was almost too tiring for him care about small things such as proper addressing.  But for now, it was nice to finally become acquainted with someone who didn't seem to have so much experience with it.  And if they did, they had the half the decency to just not care.

"I have been through the village, I think.  I do my best to become acquainted with the people of the province.  I'm not just a High Lord in name, you know.  I have my duty to them as well.  But if you don't mind me asking, what would be your problem with being associated with nobility?  I have my own opinions on the matter, of course, but it would please me to hear what you have to say."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn