Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Work? With all these distractions?

Started by Anonymous, January 26, 2011, 01:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

In a relatively quiet corner of the docks, a rather intense-looking young woman sat cross-legged on the ground, quietly reading through one of many sheets of paper. At last she nodded to herself and set the page onto the neat stack beside her, placing a rock gently on top to combat the unpredictable winds of the last few days. The dense writing and detailed sketches marked her as a scholar and thus a priestess, and sitting here in the open made her a target for the questions of the religiously-confused. Though it distracted her from her current task, Jini didn't mind. It was all part of serving her goddess, and equally worthy.

Besides, it wasn't like she could go anywhere else. What if her shipment arrived while she was away, and her sister with it? It would be irresponsible of her, and would show a lack of dedication to her work. Perhaps it was unlikely that the ship would arrive for at least another week, and perhaps the dockmaster would call for her as she'd asked, but she wasn't one to leave such things to chance.

And as chance would have it, the wind chose this exact moment to blow, just as she lifted the rock from the stack of pages she had yet to check. As soon as she noticed the movement, she slammed the stone back down onto the pile to prevent any of her precious documents escaping, but not fast enough. Two pages had made their way to freedom, and out of all the places they could be headed, they were floating towards the sea. Horrified, Jini leapt to her feet and started after them. If they were lost, her manuscript would be incomplete. She couldn't submit it to the library that way, she couldn't share her knowledge with the world! Inima would be simply appalled!

Anonymous

It was a beautiful day, warm and clean and the sea breeze perfect for a walk. It was just nice to be home. The familiar beauty and feel of the place, Senka had been away far to long. It was even nice to be back in normal clothes again, unconstricting, bright clothes. How she had missed that.

A gust of wind blew past, fluttering her hair past her face. And then she noticed a few scraps of paper go past. Reaching out, Senka snatched the pages reflexively, crumpling them in her hand, but they at least didn't reach the water.

Looking down at them, she frowned slightly, puzzled at the pages. Lifting her head, she glanced around, trying to see where they had come from. Her face lit up when she noticed the frantic woman, "Oh! I think these are yours!"

Anonymous

No! She was too slow! The pages were almost at the water's edge, and there was no way she could catch them in time. A desperate expression crossed her face and Jini skidded to a halt, bending forwards to catch her breath with her her hands on her knees. Ever since she joined the church she'd noticed her fitness decreasing, as she stopped digging up her own specimens and had zombies do her heavy lifting for her. She hadn't cared, she thought she wouldn't need it any more and yet here she was, betrayed by her own pointless flesh.

A fleeting moment later, a cheery voice reached her ears and she looked up to see a pale girl clutching those same papers she thought were lost. It had to be a miracle. She straightened up and moved to take the pages back, gently smoothing out the creases even as she kept gasping for air... She really was out of shape. At last she regained the breath to speak, and closed her eyes gratefully. "Thank you. You saved six months of work." She bowed her head, bringing it up again with a faint smile. "Inima will surely bless you for this."

Anonymous

"Ah, thank you." Senka gave a small laugh. Zoran appeared a moment later, holding another one of the pages that both the woman had missed. He handed it over to his sister with a small grin, "She's pretty."

Senka shook her head at her brother, taking the paper and passing it over to the woman, "Here, this one got away as well. What is it your working on?"

Anonymous

Preoccupied as she was with the crinkled page in her hand, Jini still noticed the slightly odd movement of the other piece of paper when it came into her view. The wind kept on blowing out to sea, so it shouldn't have been able to float in the way it did. Something interesting had happened there, but she didn't want to say what without witnessing it again. For all she knew, it was just a freak air current, so for now she merely took the page back with that same reserved smile and nod.

The smile widened at the girl's question, almost enough to show some teeth this time. Her research was about the only thing that could get her worked up, and even then she barely seemed any more enthusiastic than normal. "I'm working on a new kind of fleshcrafting, with creatures that were somehow turned to stone. We don't know a lot about them, so it's very exciting."

Anonymous

"Really? That is exciting. I didn't think that was possible to fleshcraft once the flesh was gone." She was no fleshcrafter, but the prospect was still amazing. And Senka didn't have anything better to do than stay and chat with a pretty woman.

"I am surprised you are working on it out here. It's a beautiful day and all, but that seems work more suitable to some lab somewhere."

Anonymous

"I didn't either until I did it, but it works... Most of the time," she laughed quietly. "Really, we know very little about it, although what we do have is quite promising." While Jini liked to talk about her research, she wasn't so good at explaining it. Part of the problem was that it was somewhat difficult to study how the process worked, and even though she could work some things out from the results of experiments, it would always be hard to get a clear picture. If she herself didn't understand parts of it, it was hard to get others to. What she really needed was more time in the lab.

"Believe me, I would much rather be inside," she replied with a wry smile. "But I have other business to deal with, and I thought I could work while I wait. A mistake, perhaps."

Anonymous

"Ah, really? Waiting on something exciting?" It was always a big deal when ships arrived from the mainland, "Some petrified subject?" Senka smiled, glancing over in the direction the woman had come from.

"We're you having lunch? I'm absolutely parched from all my walking and would love a drink."

"Me too? I saved the page." Zoran moved around Jini, watching her, "She's pretty. I missed Thanati woman."

Ignoring her brother, Senka forced another smile, "My name is Senka, by the way."

Anonymous

"Ah, that sort of thing, yes," she nodded. Her sister hadn't been very specific in her letter, but then she never was. She liked to keep it a surprise, even if Jini had made it clear she'd rather know so that she could plan ahead. Still, it was hard to be annoyed with someone who supplied such quality specimens.

"I wasn't planning to... But I suppose this might be a sign that a break could do some good," she concluded with a nod and a smile. "I'm Jini." Come to think of it, she had forgotten lunch a lot recently, which went some way to explaining why she'd noticed herself losing a little weight. She really didn't want to make it look like the church didn't provide for its members, so she should probably make more of an effort to take care of herself. Well, she could make a start on that now, by going to eat with Senka.

Anonymous

"Wonderful!" Senka beamed, "It's nice to meet you." Senka linked her arm around Jini's, heading back to where the other woman had left her things, "Let's pack up all this research and get food. Besides, food always makes one think better."

Glancing down at the papers, Senka tilted her head, trying to read them a little. She wasn't the best with words, but she could make a bit out, "Do you work for the church then?"

Anonymous

Jini's faint smile became a little forced when the other woman grabbed her arm. Yes, it could be counted as friendly, but she found it somewhat unnerving to be touched by a person who was, in effect, still a complete stranger. However, some did find this sort of thing normal, and it wasn't a big deal to her. In the interests of lunch, she could let it go.

"Yes, I do," she responded, smiling broadly as they reached her former seat. "Such work is an honour." Thankfully unlinking their arms again, at least for now, she bent down to pocket one flat, ridged stone, her foot pressed on the edge of the papers to keep them in place. Quickly but nonetheless neatly, she stacked the pages in order and scooped them up, leaving the other rock where it lay, and stood with a solemn nod. "That's all."

Anonymous

"I imagine so. It must be amazing to have all that information at your finger tips." Senka had thought about joining the church in her younger days, but it had never really worked out. She had wanted to see the world and that didn't work well with the church life style.

"Let's find a place to eat, shall we? Do you know of a good one? It's been so long since I was last in Suna, I don't know what is still around." She still couldn't get enough of proper Thanati cooking. The people on the continent had no idea what to do with food.

Anonymous

Jini shook her head. "I don't often get food out..." She wasn't in Suna much to know what was there, and she had far too much to get done for her to float around inns and market stalls all day. These visits were strictly for business. Well, that and catching up with her sister over a nice quiet dinner, or as quiet as anything could be with Noora around... So perhaps she did know more than she thought she did after all. "Oh, maybe. I think there's something a short way from the church."

Wait, the woman said she'd not been in Suna for a while, which could be interesting. Normally she wouldn't much care, but there was this thing she'd heard about called 'making conversation', and besides, she was genuinely curious as to whether Senka knew any other researching necromancers. "So, which of the islands do you usually live on, then?"

Anonymous

"I've been off the island for a few years now. My brother and I. We only just got back." Senka gave a small shrug and a laugh, "Though I'm from a tiny little village just outside of here. Yanu. I don't know if you have been there before."

It was always a little odd talking about having been off the islands. Some Thanati had such bad reactions to it. But she hoped a member of the church would be more open minded about it, "Let's go to that place then. It's nice having real food again."

Anonymous

"Ah, I haven't been there, no." Jini shook her head, then gave a sigh ended by a quiet laugh. "Sometimes it seems like everyone wants to go off travelling these days. The islands always pull you back, though! They may not be green, they may be small, but... They are ours."

Hearing her sister speak of the lush fields and forests of the mainland, of vistas that could stretch all the way to the horizon without ever seeing the sea, she could understand the draw the continent might have for younger Thanati, her peers. Then again, having to hide their magic and their ancestry... It wouldn't be hard for someone like Noora who didn't think much of those things, but Jini could never act with shame towards such sacred things. No, this was her home. Always.

Anonymous

"Exactly. There is no place like home. I couldn't wait to leave, see the world, all that. But, it just wasn't home. And, just, the people are so odd. The land is beautiful, really stunning, so lush and green. And mountains and things that we have nothing like here. But, the people..." Senka gave a shrug, "They are too strange. They have such love for the flesh and little for the spirit. It's unnatural."

Anonymous

"Really, all of them? I thought the traders here were curious creatures, but I'd hoped they weren't all like that." Jini looked sad for a moment, trying and failing to contemplate a life consumed by the physical. "I have to pity them. Such a meaningless way to live."

Shaking her head solemnly, she fell quiet, lost in thought. How anyone could stand that sort of empty existence, much less an entire continent of people, was completely beyond her. She wanted it to make sense, and it couldn't, and that bothered her deeply.

Anonymous

"There are a few that aren't horrified by our ways of life, but none of them seem to understand that the flesh isn't what's important. They don't even really decorate it, they just...leave it. And seem to care so little for the soul." Senka shrugged, it had never made much sense to her.

"Can I help you carry anything? And we can talk of something more entertaining than the strange ways of the foreigner nations."

Anonymous

"Hmm?" Roused from her contemplations, Jini stopped nodding along in disconcerted agreement with the other girl and instead looked over at her. Shifting the weight of her papers to her other arm, she waved away Senka's concerns and laughed quietly. "Oh, that's quite all right. It isn't too heavy."

Still with a smile, she gave a slight sigh. "I'm sorry. I'm sure you can understand my fascination with spiritual matters. Perhaps you could tell me more about these forests? I've not heard very much about mainland vegetation, apart from how it gets in the way of the ground."

Anonymous

"Are you sure? I am dragging you off for food. I don't want to inconvenience you too much." Senka fidgeted slightly, feeling just a tad guilty for disrupting the other woman. But she really didn't want to have to eat alone. The company was so nice. And Zoran hardly counted.

"The forests...where to start. It's like nothing anything I had ever seen. Huge, massive, things, thick and heavy. They can cover the sun in parts. And just, green is everywhere. It's so lush."