Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Acadamey of Sorcery

Started by Anonymous, May 24, 2005, 05:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Candle light, flickered softly upon the face of a young man, as he focused his mind upon a single objective. He needed to master this spell called, Protection From Arrows. A basic magic defense, that could stop arrows from piercing the user. The young student, remembered the previous attempts. He fought down those thoughts, and focused on the spell, and growled away all other substance in his mind. He closed his eyes and started the incantation. His hands moving in the gestures of the spell, as a sphere was formed before him. He opened his eyes and watched as the raw magic was created. He chose the disired affect and watched it, as it disipeared, and suddenly, he felt thin and unwhole. He looked toward the arrow, he'd used to test the spell and nodded, at what must be done. He walked across the chamber, and knelt before the arrow. Then grasped the shaft and placed his other hand upon the arrow head, then moved his hand down.

He felt nothing! Incredible, he thought thriled at the completed spell, and watched as he used the other hand. It still worked.  Grinning, the young mage, walked out the door and wen't to see his master.

Anonymous

"I hope that while you were pursuing your own devices you stopped at least long enough to prepare the required spells for your next lesson," Derivan said, not even looking up from his scrolls as he sat at the Headmaster's desk, somewhat irked by the young man's tardiness.  He then rested his quill in the inkwell and raised his piercing grey eyes so that they met those of the student.  "In the future, Mendaris, you will be more careful to observe the accepted rules of this institution or be ready to face the consequences; do you understand?"

Anonymous

Mendaris, nodded and said softly." If I may speak so, Master. I completed the last of the spells that I am to learn from the tome you gave me, and yes, I've prepared for the next lession." He stared at the Lord Mage, nervous and yet proud, at his completion. He was ready for whatever the Master  sent his way.

Anonymous

"Hmm," the Headmaster said as he slowly walked to the far wall of the room, as if examining the bookshelves in order to make the youth more nervous.  "Let us hope so, for you may not always be near one who can bring back the dead if you make a mistake."  And with that, he raised a hand in a sharp motion as if commanding silence, but instead a crossbow bolt flew seemingly from his very palm, straight toward Mendaris' abdomen.

Anonymous

Mendaris, watched as the bolt flashed toward him, he'd only a second to react. He lifted his hand in a warding gesture, and focused upon his target, and muttered a word. The bolt stopped suddenly, falling away to ash, that dissolved before it hit the ground. He cursed, forgeting that he did not add the second part to the spell. Beads of sweat rolled down his face as he concentrated on that spell. He looked at the master, and said cooly." As I said before. I was prepared."

Anonymous

Derivan's eyes narrowed as he came back to stand in front of Mendaris.  "How dare you lie to me!" he snapped, emphasizing the second word with a sound blow to the young mage's face with the back of his hand.  "If you cannot follow a simple instruction, then at least have the decency to admit it and not shame yourself with dishonesty.  I made it perfectly clear to every one of the pupils that all of the stages were to be prepared.  Did you not listen, or did you not obey?"

Anonymous

Mendaris's head moved to the side and a noticible red hand was forming upon the side of his cheek. He didn't say a word, but watched the mage as he wondered what could have irked him so. What had he done, besides defend himself? Sighing he waited as if wanting the Mage to say more.

Anonymous

"When I am very specific in my instructions to the pupils of this academy, I expect them to be very specific in their spell preparations," Derivan went on.  "It could mean your life further down the road.  That is why every instructor demands thoroughness from his students, and why honesty is imperative.  Your character is irretrievably linked to your ability to survive with what we teach you here.  Stray only slightly and your carelessness might kill you.  Yes, I know that you were prepared to defend yourself, but you ignored one of the most important parts of that lesson: being ready, and that includes making sure you neglect not the slightest detail, no matter how much you know how to compensate for it.  Being able to stop the arrow was not the main point."

Anonymous

Mendaris nodded," Forgive my carelessness, I should focus more upon my studies, however that spell needed completion. I shall be far more careful in my transgressions in the future, and will abide by the code more strictly. I aim for perfection, withen my own abilities, and yet you show another inperfection. Another correction that I shall  fix. I neglected the bolt in my spell as I did not expect anything of the sort." He paused and took a deep breath." Should I act any different, upon the situation you presented against me? I know you surely can turn me to dust by the snap of a finger, but am I to allow a bolt into a my gut? Surely those with opitions should use it?"

Anonymous

"What you should have done was follow the instructions in your assignment," Derivan said with a wave of his hand that brought a visual manifestation of the piece of parchment identical to that given to all of the students in the last lesson.  The paper remained suspended in front of them as the headmaster went on.  "Look carefully, and you will see that you were to prepare against the thrown dagger, the spear, the longbow, the shortbow, and the crossbow.  It was all printed clearly, and no one questioned the directions.  There was ample opportunity to do so.  If you had not been instructed to prepare against the crossbow, then you would most certainly be in the right when using the spell which you just have, but you neglected one of your preparations.  I would have healed you from any wounds you might have received, but I should not have been placed in such a position."

Anonymous

Mendaris looked at the mage and said coldly." Lord, you did not give me specific instructions to perform a spell that is beyond my ability as of right now. Protection From weapons, and Protection from Magical weapons, are beyond me as of right now." Mendaris inspected the parchment floating in the air and said now angerly.'" And the simple fact that, I was not TOLD to perform the spell, is worse? The spell could rend me insane, if I were to attempt it now." He paused for a moment and then looked at the mage." Forgive me, but the spell was not listened in my spell book. The spell is required for those that are in the advanced studies. I'm merely a novice. Not worthy of the title mage. As of yet."

Anonymous

"You are more worthy of that title than you think, young Mendaris," Derivan said, his tone notably different.  "If one never admits his weaknesses, one can never find the place where he may begin to learn."  He even half-smiled then.  "You are the first who owned up to the fact that such spells were out of your league and not just ones you hadn't succeeded in 'getting right'.  Although your level of respect was rather questionable for a moment, your honesty finally won out.  Remember that when you are one day forced to stand up for something, or someone.  Many who pass through these gates must do so in order to hold to what is right."

Anonymous

Manderis, nodded and looked around the room then said quietly." You know, those that can realize their own limits, only can excede them. I may be young, but i'm well versed in the lore of this acadmey. Is there a reason you asked for my attendance? It is rather late, and the studies never stop for those that do not rise early."

Anonymous

"I have asked all of the young mages and apprentices to come," the Headmaster said.  "And I am pleased with the result of our meeting.  You may go when you wish."

Anonymous

Mendaris nodded," Thank you m'lord. Good evening." And he walked out going to his chambers, back to rest, and perhaps practice on a few more spells. There was always a few spell duels every day, perhaps he'd be selected as one. Grinning dispite himself, Mendaris chuckled and walked by a few other students that were conversing about the latest spell they had mastered.

Life here seemed good enough.

Anonymous

A young elven mage of about seventeen years suddenly stumbled into Mendaris, as if he couldn't even see where he was going.  "Oh--I am sorry, milord," he said quickly, bowing in Mendaris' general direction.  "Forgive me, I beg you--I had thought the spell would have lasted longer than it did.  I apologize."  He put his hand out and made patting motions with it in the open air until he found the wall.  "Begging your pardon, milord, but I think I have gotten myself turned around.  Which way is the library?"

Anonymous

Mendaris, looked at the elf, " Are you blind?" He asked confused by this man. He took a step back and examined the Elven Man. " If your looking for the library, it's down the hall, down a flight of stairs, and to your right. Your in the resting quarters m'lord."

Anonymous

"I am blind," the elf replied.  "I had thought the spell would get me all the way to the library, but I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up; after all, it was meant to enhance what one naturally possesses, not work miracles.  Thank you for your directions."  He began to trail the wall in the direction Mendaris had indicated, but he stopped and turned back.  "Please, sir, it is not necessary to call me 'milord'.  I am only a slave, here because my master is a wizard and wished me to learn enough to assist him."  He bowed again, this time a lower one more befitting his station, now that he had admitted it.

Anonymous

Mendaris, looked at the elf, and felt pitty for him. He walked toward the elf, and said slowly." I'll guide you to the library. Take my hand, and i'll show you." He placed his hand in the blind elf's and started walking, regardless, if the elf protested. No one should walk the place blind. He started walking down the steps, and looked to the elf." Why are you blind?"

Anonymous

"Thank you, sir," the youth said in response to Mendaris' help.  When asked about his blindness, he seemed suddenly uneasy.  "I--that is, if you--wouldn't mind, sir--I had rather not speak of it, if you will pardon my boldness."