Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

First Steps

Started by Anonymous, April 08, 2011, 07:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Light from the full moon was pouring in through the openings of the treetops just above a small clearing in the elven village, bathing the forest floor in an eerie glow. A howling wind bustled through the maze of limbs and bramble, picking up fallen leaves to dance with along the way. There was something so beautiful about the silence tonight; only the zephyrs conducting their orchestra of swaying trees made sound. It was mournful but alluring, relaxing and yet so haunting.

It seemed that tonight would be a night of solitude. All but the archers that guarded the forest were asleep – all but the archers and a young elf standing in the clearing for one last time, a tear rolling down his cheek as he took in the image of what he would no longer call home. "Kenavi." A hushed whisper called his name just as the tear fell from his cheek, flickering with the reflection of moonlight before splashing to the dirt. The young elf's hand quickly wiped away the moisture from his tears and turned to see his mentor stepping from behind the trees a little ways behind him. She had been watching him without his knowing. Apparently, it wasn't going to be such a lonely last night. Her head was tilted with concern, but a look of understanding graced her moonlit face. She always did have the gentlest emerald eyes. Kenavi said inwardly, prepared for goodbye. "You're leaving aren't you?" she asked knowingly. He said nothing, but a nod confirmed that she was correct. "I'll miss you, Kenavi. But you don't belong here." He understood the words she spoke. His heart agreed with her, but the memory of his father's voice said otherwise. Decisions were always difficult for Kenavi, even after he'd already made them. Myria Millcraft had encouraged him to leave the forest as if she had felt exactly the same as he; misplaced in a prison, beckoned to leave by some unknown voice calling out his name from unmeasured distances. It was time he discovered whatever it was his heart was so fixed on finding. So that one day, he could return to Myria and finish his studies.

A few moments of silence passed before she approached him. A meaningful embrace took Kenavi off guard. A tug at the strings of his heart formed a lump in his throat and tears began to well in his eyes. She had never hugged him before. In fact, no one had ever hugged him quite like this. A flowery smell from her rust-colored hair filled his nostrils as he swallowed his emotions. "Your father won't know I let you go. So don't worry about me, okay Kenavi?" she forced herself to laugh over the tears, but her voice was broken and he could tell her heart was aching. His was too. He loved Myria. She understood him. And when she let him go, she unfastened her necklace, placed it in his hand and closed his fist. "Keep it." He nodded again and smiled at her before pocketing the necklace. One smile was not enough to express all the gratitude he owed her, but he knew she understood. With that, he turned and walked away. He didn't look back. He wanted to, but he promised himself he wouldn't. Kenavi always did keep his promises.

And like the wind, Kenavi was now a free spirit. The only person who could tell him where to go and what to do was his heart. He was at long last guided by a beat of his very own. His footsteps hastened and a smile crept from ear to ear. "I'm free." His words were soft, but their meaning to him was louder than any banshee could shriek.

He managed to escape the forest without being detected by the archers. Hours were passing and Kenavi's feet were growing tired. The heavens were no longer a midnight blue, but an array of pink and cyan. That meant dawn was soon approaching. Now, it was time for a quick nap before daylight.

He came upon a wide-open meadow with dirt paths leading off in a multitude of directions. He wasn't sure where any of them led. Maybe he would have had he brought a map. But he didn't need to, for his destination was everywhere yet nowhere in particular. Just the thought of that kind of freedom uplifted his heart and tickled his spirit. A tall oak stood alone in the grassy meadow and Kenavi made his way over. He reached up and removed the burlap messenger bag off of his shoulder and over his head, then onto the ground so he could lay out its contents. Inside he found a wooden flute, a healing potion in a spiral-shaped glass vial, 6 pears, a feather blanket, a change of clothes and of course, his tattered old brown leather book and feather quill that he took with him everywhere he went. He folded up the blanket and used it as a pillow to rest his head against the trunk of the oak tree. Even though the wind could be chilling, his blinding chartreuse yellow cloak would keep him warm enough. It was undoubtedly the brightest color fabric he owned. Now that the adrenaline was no longer pumping, Kenavi sighed and closed his eyes beneath the hood of his cloak.

He dreamed of his mother that night.

Anonymous

It was an hour or so past daybreak when Jarrah awoke. The medic had perched himself high in the oak tree early the previous night, his bag resting in his lap and his coat draped over him. The night hair had been chilly, but that was all right by him. He preferred the cold this time of year, anyway, and this was as far north as he dared to venture short of wandering back into Connlaoth. There was no way that was going to happen.

After a moment or two he sat up and stretched, letting his coat slip down to his lap. Gathering his things, he prepared to climb down but paused when he noticed someone down below. When did they get there? Jarrah had never heard them approach. Then again, he was kind of a heavy sleeper.

Oh well. He'd have to make his way around to the other side of the trunk and hop down that way. He saw the stranger wore a hood - and in his experience, a hooded face meant bad news. Not always, perhaps, but more often than not. He didn't want to accidentally wake the person if he could avoid it.

It took a few minutes, but the medic eventually found himself climbing down the opposite side of the oak. He hadn't gotten very far before his foot missed a branch and he dropped like a rock the rest of the way to the grass below. Although this wasn't exactly an uncommon occurrence for him, he still wasn't completely prepared for it. While he did manage to land on his feet, his bag slipped off his shoulder and it the ground with quite the clatter. And the impact of the landing caused a sharp pain to shoot through his left ankle for a moment.

Jarrah straightened, muttering curses at himself for his clumsiness, and shifted all his weight to his right side. That one was going to sting for a while. At least it didn't feel like he sprained or broke anything.

He realized then that all the racket he'd made had likely awakened the stranger by now. Unintentionally he tensed a bit as he listened with his back to the other. If he heard no indication that they were awake, the medic would sneak off once the pain subsided. But he had a feeling he wouldn't be so lucky. He just hoped the hooded stranger wouldn't be hostile after such a wake-up call.

Anonymous

Kenavi peeled open his eyelids and rubbed them with balled up fists before exposing them to the crisp morning air. He sat up straight, yawning before a quick stretch. He hadn't even noticed the man behind him and actually assumed the noises he heard were part of his dreams. Wait... what was I dreaming about? his mind pondered in his half-wakened state. He wondered how long he'd been sleeping as he stretched his arms into the air and made a teeny squeak before letting them lazily fall back down to his sides so that the dewy blades of grass were now tickling his pare palms. He removed his hood next to look upward into the sky. The warm pinks and oranges of dawn were no longer bleeding into the usual blue, he noticed. Instead, the entire sky above was now a rich light blue with small puffs of clouds here and there. The winds had subsided greatly. It felt so fresh and so new and the sun was practically warming his soul. A smile graced Kenavi's face as he turned to fold up his blanket.

But what he saw next was quite unexpected. Wide-eyed with surprise and slight confusion, Kenavi just stared up at the man for a few moments in silence. He was slender, tall with shoulder length blonde hair. His ears weren't pointed like his. Definitely not an elf, or so Kenavi assumed. But his most startling feature was undoubtedly the eye patch over his left eye. Who was this fellow? Had he been watching Kenavi sleep? How did he lose his eye? He didn't seem menacing, nor unapproachable. And he wasn't that bad looking either. Just different. And Kenavi hadn't ever seen a real human before. This was starting to become more exciting than strange.

"I didn't see you there." He murmured.

Anonymous

Jarrah turned a little to get a better look at the stranger. Now that the hood was down he started to relax again. Perhaps it was a biased view, but the simple fact that the other was clearly elfin put him more at ease. The guy's openly bewildered reaction helped, too. And now that he thought about it, he doubted anyone with malicious intent would be wearing such a...loud cloak. Really, this kid would be hard to miss in a crowded street.

The medic held up a hand in greeting and offered a somewhat embarrassed grin. "Sorry, did I startle you? I wasn't trying to sneak up on you, I promise." Pointing up from where he just tumbled he added, "But I think the tree grew sick of me so it threw me out."

The way the stranger focused his attention on the eye patch didn't go unnoticed, but neither did Jarrah concern himself with it. He was used to the stares, after all. Happened almost every time he encountered someone.

Anonymous

Kenavi giggled at the stranger's comment about the tree being sick of him, covering his mouth with his right hand at an attempt to restrain some of his laughter. "You're funny." He complimented.

He noticed the stranger's expression when the realization that Kenavi had been staring at his eye patch sunk in, and quickly turned his gaze to find something to distract him from it. In a nervous hurry, he grabbed his blanket and attempted to fold it neatly, and had it not been for his uncomfortable rushing, probably would have succeeded on the first try. "I-uh..." he started, cheeks and ears turning rosy red. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to stare..." Kenavi felt bad for being so rude. Had his father been present, he would have gotten an icy cold scolding.

Kenavi unfastened his bag and stuffed in the blanket, then pulled out a couple pears to share with the other man. Hopefully sharing some food would rid him of some of his guilt. "I'm Kenavi." He looked back up at the long haired man with a beaming smile. "Are you hungry?" His hand was now outreached with a juicy, green pear.

Anonymous

He had to chuckle a bit when Kenavi realized he was staring. Jarrah was no stranger to being gawked at, yet embarrassment and apologies was a little rarer. As was nervous fumbling.

"Jarrah," he said, "and you can relax. I'm used to the stares." It happened often enough that it there was no point in making a big deal of it. Of course something out of place like an eye patch would draw unwanted attention, but he'd rather that be the case than to let anyone see what was under it.

For now he left his bag and coat where they had landed and stepped forward, giving a quick nod of thanks for the pear. The kid was more congenial than the large majority of folks he encountered. But the medic momentarily forgot about the discomfort in his ankle and couldn't keep from wincing when he put weight on it. Attempting to brush it off, he reached down to readjust his shoe. It was trying to slip off, anyway, after the tumble.

Anonymous

The tension eased away once the man introduced himself and told Kenavi to relax. He brushed it off rather easily, luckily for the young elf. He would have beat himself up over it had he caused any self-consciousness.

He recited the man's name in his head so he wouldn't forget it. Jarrah. It flowed so nicely that he did it again. Jarrah. After all, how rude would it be to forget his name after staring at his eye patch. "It's so nice to meet you." He replied, still smiling brightly. He was happy Jarrah took the offered fruit. He loved being generous. Something about it just made him feel better about himself. Then he took a big bite of his own with a satisfying crunch. A small stream of juice dribbled down his lip and he wiped it with the sleeve of his tunic, giggling with an oops look about his face.

But seeing Jarrah wince in pain quickly changed his light-hearted attitude to a more serious, concerned look. "Oh no, are you okay? Let me look at that." He laid his pear down on top of his bag and shuffled over to the man's ankle. He didn't even bother with formalities and attempted to shoo Jarrah's hands away from his shoe so that he could take a closer look. Of all the not-so-fantastic things Kenavi could do, nursing was his best trait and something he was quite passionate about. Whether one needed him or not, Kenavi was always there to care for the wounded. "Must have been a bad fall, huh? You should probably sit down. Eat your pear while I look at this ankle." he insisted, kneeling before Jarrah and waiting for him to remove the shoe. Unfortunately, Kenavi really wasn't prepared to bandage anything. He hadn't brought any of his medical supplies considering he didn't think his services would be needed so quickly, if at all. But hopefully it wasn't sprained or broken, in which case he could rub it a little to just ease the soreness, if, of course, Jarrah would let him. After all, not everyone was so willing to accept help from others. But Kenavi's gestures were selfless and he hoped the other could see that in him, or could at least recognize the sincerity in his eyes. "I'm not the most talented healer, but I can at least relieve some of the soreness."

Anonymous

That one made him laugh out loud.

The medic was quick to bring the laughter under control, but he couldn't help noticing how ironic this turned out to be. Kenavi was a healer, too, huh? If he wanted to, Jarrah could tell him nothing was really wrong with his ankle. He had made it a point to check while he fidgeted with his shoe. He landed a little too hard when he tumbled, that's all. But the kid appeared so sincere that he just didn't have the heart to do it.

It was strange, to say the least, for Jarrah to be on the other end of these situations. Couldn't hurt anything to play along, though. Just this once.

More than a little amused at the situation, the medic complied and sat down without argument. When he spoke he kept his tone as casual as possible without making it too obvious. "You know a bit about this stuff, huh?"

Anonymous

Kenavi, delighted that the man had sat down, went straight to removing his shoe pushing up his pant leg to take a look at his ankle. "A little..." he started, unsure as to what Jarrah could be laughing at. "My father hired a renowned elvin healer and herbalist to oversee my training. To say the least, I wasn't her brightest pupil." With that last sentence, he cut himself short. He wasn't going to waste the other's time with his reasons as to why he couldn't stay focused enough to finish. Truth was, he was so miserable in that forest that he just couldn't care enough to accomplish what his father had meant for him. He enjoyed healing and helping others, but it seemed his desire to see the world outside of his forest kept him from achieving his maximum potential. He busied his hands rubbing the man's ankle and foot, hoping to relieve some of the soreness. His grip was firm, and his fingers knew exactly all the right spots to massage. "But, at least I know enough to deal with these types of things. And lucky for you, this doesn't seem too bad. Nothing's broken or sprained. You must have just fallen on it a little too hard." He explained, still steadily working to ease the other's pain.

"Next time a tree gets sick of you and wants to throw you out, try to land a little more gracefully, eh?" he joked, smiling up at Jarrah after chuckling at his own bad joke. "What were you doing up there anyway?" he asked with a raised eyebrow. "You weren't spying on me, were you?" His tone wasn't serious at all. He was simply jabbing with Jarrah to keep the mood light and easy, and borderline playful. He made sure this time too, that while looking up at him he wasn't staring directly at his eye patch. Kenavi continued massaging while waiting for the other's response, hoping he was helping at least a little.

Anonymous

Jarrah stayed quiet for a minute, nibbling away at the pear while he listened to Kenavi's explanation. He almost asked which healer had trained him - but then that would have given him away, wouldn't it? As of yet, he didn't know if he was going to bother pointing out he was a medic himself. If things played out as they usually did, Jarrah would be on the road again within the hour - he didn't make it a habit of sticking around long enough for it to matter much.

The joke made him chuckle a bit. He wasn't the most graceful being around, he wasn't about to deny it. Tumbling out of trees was annoyingly common for Jarrah, what with his blind spot and all. "It's an old habit. I like to sleep in trees. I was trying to climb down without landing on your head." With a smirk he added, "Don't know many folks who would appreciated that too much."

Anonymous

Kenavi laughed. "Whew, I would have been in for quite the wake up call had that been the case." It was such a relief to find a friendly face so soon. It would keep him from missing his family and his friends back in the forest. His mind seemed to race and overthink things a lot when he was alone.

He finished massaging Jarrah's ankle and slipped his shoe back on for him. "There you go. Does that feel better?" After securing the man's footwear, he stood to brush himself off. He removed his brightly colored cloak to reveal the shining purple elvin tunic beneath, trimmed in gold and shimmering green. His trousers were white and tucked into his bulky brown leather boots. After folding up his cloak, he immediately picked up his hardly-touched pear and took another bite. It was then that he really took in his surroundings for the first time. "It's beautiful out here." He stated, turning back around to look at Jarrah. He began to wonder. Traveling alone would certainly get lonely, and since he had no map or no real destination as to where he himself was going, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to befriend this fellow?

"Where will you go from here?" he asked, hoping for an invitation. And if not offered, he would undoubtedly ask to tag along if he felt welcomed.

Anonymous

He wiggled his foot a bit to test it. It didn't ache nearly as much as it had a moment ago. He had to hand it to the kid, Kenavi did seem to have a knack for this, trained or not. "Yeah, much. Thanks."

Jarrah did happen to notice the rather expensive appearance in the other's clothing choice, but he didn't give it much consideration. Just had a passing thought of how the kid must not hit the road much - and that he would soon discover traveling wasn't often kind to expensive clothing. He figured that if the lad's father had enough money to hire a healer to teach his son, then the family was well-off. But that made him wonder for a brief second why Kenavi would turn his back on such a lifestyle. Most folks he encountered wouldn't dream of it.

His mind strayed elsewhere when asked where he was headed. Though he didn't show it outwardly and kept up the usual faint smile, he hoped he was wrong about where Kenavi was going with this.

"I was thinking of hopping over the mountains to get to La'marri." That was kind of a fib. Jarrah didn't truly have a destination in mind, but part of him hoped that if it was mentioned he would be traveling such a distance, it would discourage the kid from wanting to tag along - as that was what the medic was sure this was leading to.

Anonymous

Kenavi had never heard of La'marri. Then again, he probably hadn't heard of many places in this world. But nevertheless, that wasn't important, because that was what he aimed to do – explore and discover until he could fill the void that ached in his heart. "I've never been there before." He spoke, curiosity underlying his tone. "I've never really been anywhere before." That last sentence was much softer, much quieter. He was searching for the courage to ask to tag along. He didn't realize it would be this difficult. Why am I being so shy right now?

Kenavi turned away from Jarrah, looking about in different directions. He really wasn't sure where he was headed. And now that he had made what he hoped he could soon call a friend, he really preferred not to travel wherever he was going alone.

His hands made their way into his pockets, where he found an unfamiliar trinket weighing one of them down. He pulled it out and realized it was the necklace Myria had given him. It was a tooth of some sort, tied to a simple string probably made from vine. His eyes got hazy for a moment as he got lost in the memory of their goodbye. Quickly deciding not to go there he tied it around his neck and tucked it away beneath his shirt.

One deep breath, and he turned back around to face Jarrah. "I understand if you don't want the company... but I don't exactly have a route planned out... or a destination for that matter." He explained, hoping the man would cut him off and just offer to let him come already and save him from the torment of having to ask. But he didn't, so Kenavi continued, trying desperately not to stammer over his words. His face was now pointing downwards and his foot making imaginary circles in the grass. "I don't know anything about La'marri but it sounds like a place to go. Could I maybe tag along, just until we get there? I have food I can share with you. And I promise I won't be a burden." He looked up with uncertainty in his eyes at this point to see the expression on the other's face, hoping for the best.

Anonymous

Damn. That didn't work.

He probably shouldn't have hoped it to work. If the kid, as Jarrah assumed by his statement, hadn't really ever been away from wherever he grew up, then a curiosity was to be expected. But the medic wasn't fond of having a tail, hence why he didn't offer directly to let Kenavi come along. He kept silent and glanced elsewhere when the other turned away, waiting to see whether or not the kid was bold enough to ask straight-out.

Again, Jarrah kept his expression unchanged when he finally did to hide his...annoyance maybe wasn't quite the right word, but it was close. He didn't feel like having to call his own bluff. La'marri was a long way from here. But his conscience won out eventually. And...well, it had been a long time since he last stopped by to pester his uncle.

Managin a hint of a smile, he tried one more time to subtly discourage Kenavi from wanting to follow. "If the prospect of a really long walk doesn't bother you, then I suppose I don't mind."

Anonymous

Kenavi grinned from ear to ear and lifted his head. "Not at all." How lucky was he? To find someone to make his journey to wherever a little less lonely. He plucked his bag up off the ground and threw it over his shoulder, then offered a hand to help up Jarrah. "I've never met a human before." Oh he just couldn't help but find out, could he?

Anonymous

Wow. This kid really didn't get out much, did he?

By now Jarrah had pretty much resigned himself to the fact that he was going to have a shadow for the next few weeks. Could have been worse, he supposed, though a small part of him was still a touch irritated at the development. He shoved it aside for now and instead brightened his smile as he took the offered hand.

"Half human, actually," he corrected, getting to his feet and putting weight on his left foot to test the ankle. At first the medic wasn't going to bother clearing that one up, but...if his uncle happened to show up before he could shake this tail, it was going to come out, anyway. Though as an idle afterthought he had to wonder - if Kenavi had never seen a human before, what was he going to think about a half-breed?

He gave the remark no further thought, turning instead to retrieve his own bag and coat. If the kid really wanted to know, then he could ask.

Anonymous

Kenavi was puzzled, and his twisted face showed it. Half human? "Half human, half wha-?" That last part was meant to be thought, not said. He clasped his hand over his mouth and shrunk up, fearful of being rude yet again. "Sorry."  

Kenavi had never seen a human before, let alone had even heard of half-breeds except in old elvin folklore, most of which he never believed to be true. But here there was, a half-breed. Half elf, maybe? he thought, resisting the urge to scratch his chin just to give off a noticeably quizzical appearance. An actor at heart, sometimes he couldn't help but over exaggerate his actions. "So, towards the mountains then. This is going to be so exciting!" he squealed.

"Do you like music?" he spun around to face Jarrah, reaching in his bag and revealing a wooden flute. "I know how to play." He placed his fingers appropriately and readied the flute to his lips.

Anonymous

He was a little surprised that the other didn't finish his question. What, did Kenavi think it a rude question? Personally Jarrah couldn't care one way or the other. By the looks of things, though, the kid's parents must have been very particular on manners.

Next thing he knew, Kenavi was off on a tangent about music. This...was going to be a long few weeks, if the other was this...bouncy all the time.

Fortunately, it took a lot to irritate the medic enough for him to make an outward display of it. In response to the kid's remark, he laughed quietly. Somehow he had a hunch Kenavi didn't often get a chance to be this open. "All right, let's hear it."

Anonymous

Delighted, Kenavi played a whimsical tune many of the elves from his forest knew and loved. And he gave it a good shot, but right near the end he missed a note and the most awkward, high-pitched noise completely ruined the tune. He couldn't help but laugh at his mistake. "Never said I knew how to play [/I]well.[/I]" he joked, stashing the flute away into his bag. Perhaps some practice before showing off.

A gentle breeze blew, gracefully rocking the two tiny hoops pierced through his right earlobe and sweeping his bangs across his brow. "It feels so good out here. At least the trip won't be too hot." Kenavi looked around to ensure they had all of their belongings. "Well, you just about ready?" he asked excitedly. "You lead the way."

Anonymous

Aside from a wince at the high-pitched noise, Jarrah managed to keep from reacting to the discomfort it caused his ears. If he wasn't half elf with the enhanced hearing, it probably wouldn't have bothered him so much. As it was, the squeal left his ears ringing momentarily.

Readjusting the bag on his shoulder, he took a second to figure out which way was west before he started walking. He had to admit he was a bit amused at Kenavi's excited state. At least one of them was enthusiastic about the trip.

He kept his own enthusiasm up even if it wasn't a hundred percent genuine. "I think you'll like La'marri. Takes forever to get there, but the people are great." Well...maybe not all of them, but he couldn't exactly speak ill of the folks who took him in, now, could he?