Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Putting out fire (with gasoline) [M]

Started by Lion, June 19, 2011, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

He called himself the Baron von Arenim and he was a very wealthy man.  Nobody knew how exactly how he'd become so well off or even from what lineage whence he came.  People hardly ever saw him, for he usually never ventured outside his estate.  Some people said he was once a merchant and earned his way from there; the title was really just for show.  Others said he must have earned his take by taking part in clandestine criminal operations and that must have also explained his limited public appearances.  And while he hardly ever revealed himself to people, people often found reason enough to come to him.  It seemed Baron von Arenim was not only famous for the rumors he'd never bothered refute, but also his love for wild and memorable parties.  Those that attended often spoke of them for years, or some never again.  For whatever their own reasons, they were definitely something that could never be forgotten.

Each year the festivities were different and only got wilder and stranger with the next one.  Everyone who was anyone was invited to attend them.  While it was not exactly custom to speak of them openly in public, what happened at Baron von Arenim's tended to stay at Baron von Arenim's.  Discretion was always paramount and discussion of the parties were limited to whispers, hints, and insinuations.  Nothing direct; whether it was for shame, or of some unspoken oath,  no one could tell.

The Baron himself, while people knew little of him, seemed far from the image of a solitary man.  He was often described as tall, about six foot, with sleek black hair that was always coiffed elegantly.  While he had a fairly fit physique, he appeared as if he drank far too much.  He never wore rags or was seen as unkempt and his face was clean cut with a neatly trimmed mustache and goatee combination.  And there was an odd discerning quality about his dark-eyed gaze.  And he may as well have been Adelan for all the good the tan of his skin did him.  Perhaps he was some Adelan expatriate, or just spent too much time in the sun.  There was an unmistakable eccentric air about him, and a subtle flamboyancy that only seemed to make others flock to him.  The source of such charisma was primarily unknown.  Was it sorcery or was he so naturally charming that people had little qualms about him or his intentions?

How long had he lived in the area?  Even townspeople that had lived there all their lives couldn't dictate precisely when he'd moved in.  It was like he'd just appeared one day, out of the big blue.  Yet everyone could have sworn that he must have been there forever.

The year was turning warm and the time for the Baron's festivities were coming soon.  The lord's estate was a few miles outside La'marri and any who ventured out to take a peek at the large, sprawling building would see that the outdoor preparations were already underway.  Within a week, all the local gentry were arriving at Baron von Arenim's in colorful regalia, costumes and masques that disguised themselves as monsters or legendary and even historical figures.  One such guest appeared through the high pearly double-doors that served as the entrance, a beautiful woman with powder-white skin and a sleekly cut dress with a pearly-sheened demonic, horned mask covering half her face.

The guests filled the manor's main room.  Servants, or guards if that's really what they were, walked around with trays filled with wine goblets and small appetizers.  They too were dressed up in costume, though in a distinct uniform color combination that set them apart from the guests.  The main room opened up to a wide rounded staircase that spiraled around the room and was supported by ornately carved pillars.  Whatever architect designed this room alone must not only have had an eye for detail but had been incredibly patient for all of it to have been constructed.

The woman eyed the structures with curious eyes, an open expression, even beneath her mask.  She took a drink from one of the servant's serving plates and while the guests all mingled together with their meaningless small talk.  One approached her, an older man who was dressed in feathered robes that were drifting from his costume.  He laughed as he greeted her.  "Good evening, milady!  I don't think I've ever seen you here before.  First time to one of Von Arenim's parties?"

The lady looked at him, leaning her head a little to the side at first, then quickly snapped to attention.  "Oh yes!  Yes it is."

"That explains the unfamiliarity!  I'm a regular here at the Baron's.  Since this be your first time, let me tell you that you'll never truly forget your first Von Arenim bash!  No one does.  Oh, but please excuse my manners.  They call me Bolgrim.  Broderick Bolgrim that is.  And you are?"

"Ophelia Erith."  The woman who called herself Ophelia smiled gently and held out her hand as Bolgrim shook it gently.  "If I may be so bold, may I ask just where is the Baron?  Does he not see that all his guests are getting rather impatient to see him?"

"Aye, that be a very good question, my lady.  And I'm afraid I cannot give you a worthy answer.  He usually never keeps us waiting.  I'm sure he knows we are here."

Just then immediate silence  came over the guests, their loud voices quickly turning to whispers then nothing.  The sound of doors opening and closing gently shut were heard above on the staircase though not visible to the floor below.  Ophelia waited patiently as she heard people around her hold their breaths.  Footsteps came heavily down from the top floor and around the beginning of the staircase curve, though the person making them was still not yet visible.  As they came just to the step where the person might appear, they paused for almost a full minute.  Bolgrim seemed to be turning blue.  But he released his breathe just in time as black boots appeared at the edge of the stairs and lazily took steps slowly down the staircase, taking his sweet time about it.  Finally the Baron came into full view.

Von Arenim as everyone came to call him was just as Ophelia expected him to be.  He was dressed in fine clothes, a red frock jacket with gold embroidery and buckles and belts just like a pirate.  Yet he did not wear a mask, separating himself from the other guests.  He looked weary, tired, almost exhausted to the point of collapse.  He stopped about twenty steps to the landing, and let his head sway back and forth, teetering his body until he collapsed down the steps, tumbling to the ground.  The guests rumbled and gasped in horror, taking several steps back as the Baron rolled to the floor.  Servants immediately came to his aid, but just as they reached him, he sprung up from the ground and held his arms up triumphantly in the air.  "Does anyone need the Baron?" he said innocently.

The guests all applauded and laughed in spite of themselves.  Bolgrim turned red from embarrassment, but he applauded furiously.  Ophelia did as well, but kept her silence and did not reveal her face to be surprised at all, almost as if she'd been expecting it.  Which would have been peculiar for a woman who seemed not to know the Baron at all.  The woman called Ophelia did not know the Baron, but did have a sense of his habits, of who he was, and that there was probably more to him than he openly revealed.  

The woman called Ophelia moved closer to the Baron as the crowd waited to be addressed by their host.  The Baron climbed up onto the stairs again, stopping up at the tenth step, wherein he turned and raised his arms in welcome.  "It is a pleasure!" he began, a smile on his face.  "Yes, such a pleasure to have you all here this evening!  I see some regular faces in the crowd and some...irregular ones!"  He laughed jokingly.  "You are all welcome here to my estate, and whether this be your first time or your thirtieth, or hundredth—it really matters not—I guarantee you all...that this will be a night you will not soon forget.  As truly sorry as I am to have kept you all waiting, I was just finishing my last preparations for what I have ready for you this evening."

The crowd laughed forgivingly.  Ophelia moved surreptitiously through the guests, stopping when she reached two guests away from the front row.  Von Arenim continued, "This, surely, will be a night unlike any other for what I have prepared for you tonight...is...a contest.  One that will test your resolve and wit, you must be very keen to win..."  He paused for a long time, the guests murmuring amongst themselves.  "And if you win," he went on.  "There is a very special prize, that I will award you myself."

"What kind of prize?"  one of the guests called out above the murmurs.

"That, my good friend, is what you will find out if you win," the Baron said quietly.  His body language changed momentarily.  He seemed to stiffen and he looked out past the guests, almost taken by the light of the moon outside that was visible from the open doorway.  He sighed and motioned with one of his hands to call the servants by the door to close it.  "The doors will remain locked, as will all exits to the estate, until the very end of the competition," he went on.  "You will all be free to roam the grounds, however, as well as the mansion.  And now I am sure you are all wondering exactly when this competition begins.

"Well, I shall tell you.  It began when you all first entered the door, yes that door that is now locked as I can see you all looking behind you.  Yes, you are all competing against each other.  The first event, my friends...my good, fine, loyal, hungry friends...the first act of this contest is...to find three red roses.  Now, just before you all start rushing off to the gardens, mind you that these are very special roses.  The first one to find all three and return them to me will have passed the first act and move on to the next.  But fear not!  Even if you do not find the roses, you may still have a chance to win, that I want you all to remember.  Now, without further ado, let the games begin!"

The guests all rushed to the doors that opened up to the gardens outside.  Ophelia waited behind, not knowing exactly where the location of these roses might be found and knew that following the other guests would be her best bet.   She eyed the other guests like a strange fish might to a school of similarly colored ones.  Yes, that's what all these little mortals were, they were like a school of fish, despite their colorful costumes and different hairstyles and monster masks.  For the woman that called herself Ophelia stood apart from the rest of the guests.  It was not exactly how she looked, or the way she walked, for she looked just as human as anyone else, but if one looked carefully there was an odd otherworldly air to her.  The woman that called herself Ophelia also called herself Ghanon of Dragolir.

Ghanon was confident in himself enough to pull off this woman stint as "Ophelia Erith" and she walked off behind the other guests that did not seem to notice the shimmer of her eyes as they shifted from silver to a fine crystal blue.  Now all "Ophelia" had to do was to be the first to find three red roses in the gardens of Baron von Arenim and "she" would be one step closer to finding the item that "she" knew the Baron had.

Let the games begin, indeed! he thought with a smug grin.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Not much was able to slip the special 'insight' of Ba'ast, she had heard about these parties and had met people sworn to secrecy who had partaken in these parties. But, to her benefit, these people were never able to protect the thoughts from her grasp and she relived many of these parties through the thoughts of others. But, when she had received an invite to one of these parties, she couldn't refuse to actually attend one for herself. By what she had seen, they were quite the event—something perfect for her.

So, after traveling back to La'Marri and finding her way to the mansion, Ba'ast had done all she could to suppress her interest to hid behind a grin as she walked past the front doors. Her eyes glistening behind a purple mask with beads and feathers spraying out like water. Her tanned skin soaked in the warm light of the large room she soon stopped in.

Looking around at all the others there, all their outfits. None of which she felt came close to hers. Even though she wore very little, her top—a mere glorified bra, was supported by a gold band just under her breasts and purple and blue lace were interweaved to form the cups, the twisting of the material keeping the lace from being totally see through, but she didn't mind such 'free shows.' Not to mention how the straps for the top criss-crossed in front, bringing her breasts in and making them look even fuller, though she was rather busty.

Her skirt was much the same with a gold plate highly ornamented made the very top and had that same blue and purple lacing to pull behind her and tie into a large bow in the back. This same lace also made the very free-flowing bottom to her skirt, carelessly see through and showing off her toned legs and black panties.

Though, Ba'ast would never let herself go to a party of such standards just like that. Each wrist of hers were ornamented with gold and silver bangles and bracelets which joined precious stones together in a colorful arrangement. Her upper arm had a silver dragon bangle wrapped around it, the dragon's eyes made of rubies. And, for her legs, each ankle had a silver bangle, and various anklets with precious gems.
Barefoot, Ba'ast scoured the audience, trying to figure out what the event might be.

Everyone's heads were spinning with ideas, but the best ones came from the workers. As she took a glass of wine off a tray and let her ruby lip touch the rim, the Baron finally came to view. Sipping the wine, she watched him fall and just smirked. A man of the audience, she could see why people like him. But, she didn't care about him, she cared more about the prize he soon came to speak of. A game, where there was a prize? Well, that was something she wanted, and was going to have. Nothing would get in her way.

Plus, they were already locked in. As the party goers all ran out into the gardens, Ba'ast stayed back, tempted to follow the Baron to where ever he had gone. But, her eyes soon focused on another woman who stayed behind. Well, this was peculiar, because the woman's mind was locked off to hers. "Another telepath?" She mused to herself. Setting the glass on a table, she moved to get a better look at this woman.

Her eyes widening when she caught a glimpse of those eyes changing colors. The realization that there was something very different with this .. woman made her want to follow her. So, Ba'ast wandered over to her. Her gaze ahead of her, and towards the outside. Thinking about the red roses. But it couldn't be that easy. Find three red roses in a garden? There had to be some ply.

She glanced back to the woman and gave her this smirk. She was going to win the game, and figure out this woman. So, she stepped out into the garden area, her bare feet feeling the chill from the cool ground. Seeing everyone flustered and looking for these roses made her chuckle. A garden of white roses with three red? Ba'ast took in the scenery, then headed off to where no one had ventured to. A color so vibrant would be easy to find, and because no one had found one, she figured they weren't in the right area.

Ba'ast did keep her eyes open for that strange woman, though. Knowing that she would have some interesting twist in this game. She scanned over the roses, soon finding herself in a small maze with walls of rose bushes. And thorns. She carefully walked through the maze and made sure no rose missed her gaze. Soon she found herself at a dead end. A large opening in the maze where a water fountain shot water into the air.

At first, Ba'ast was pissed to find herself at a dead end, but something caught her eyes. Just beyond the water fountain, and just beyond a small stream that was built in to run off the water fountain, was a rose bush. No surprise there, but, what was there was a red rose. Delighted, she walked over to it and reached out to pluck it from the bush.

Though Ba'ast noticed the red color bled from the rose. She grabbed onto the stem and broke it from the bush and looked to the red substance on the petals, then smirk.

"Blood." She said softly. It didn't matter. Judging by the state of the blood, this was part of the game. And she had one of the roses. Now, to find the others.

And, with this maze being so promising, she decided to continue on and see if any more of the roses were there.

Lion

A maze sprawled out before her as she stood just before one of the three entrances.  Ophelia studied the structure from where she stood, working in her mind the best possible way to work around or within it.  Of course, there was always the idea of just jumping in ahead straight into the fray but she did not see any particular reason to need to do so.  The idea was simply to be the first to find the roses and in this garden sea of white roses, the costumed buffoons would have as much luck if they searched for a piece of hay in a needlestack.  Ophelia knew the roses would be hidden and hidden well.  And while she merely resembled the other guests, there were certain advantages that she had that they did not.

A small wave of her hand, and it seemed like the air had turned to liquid.  Everyone around her was moving slower, though to them they moved in real time, and Ophelia walked through the maze entrance without a care in the world.  Her own walking speed was relatively normal to her and she was seemingly invisible, nobody noticed.  She was simply there one moment and gone the next.  Ophelia gestured her hand slightly yet again and time returned to normal speed.  While she may have paused indefinitely, it was best to remain as subtle as possible; sooner or later someone would notice they would be experiencing déjà vu.  It was best to never reach the point where questions might be considered.

She was simply another guest, and that was the guise everyone had to buy and she had to be most convincing to sell.  Flight, teleportation, all things had to be used with the utmost care, only when she was absolutely sure nobody was looking.  Yet even she knew there was always somebody watching, even when you were convinced that you were most alone.  As long as she kept her head about her, she had no doubt that she would emerge victorious from this little contest, that really...was hardly a contest at all.  Nobody could possibly compete with her.  Or was it him?

Ghanon became easily accustomed to the forms he'd chosen and they were plentiful and various, from animals to humanoids and other creatures.  The body of a human woman was not so hard to fill as he'd initially thought, though it wasn't always the right sort of idea to indulge the looks that men gave him when in such forms.  It was all just another part of the act and if it was going to be played, then it might as well be played well.  Nobody assumed wrong of a woman, and if they did, they had to have the best ground from which to accuse her of anything.  A man might be more likely to be up to something.  But "Ophelia"...well, she was just another guest, taking part in all the fun and games.

Ghanon took his time in searching for the rose, scanning high and low.  But no doubt that the damn thing would not be walk on the moon.  Nothing worth doing was ever easy, he reminded himself.  Ophelia stopped at a rounded corridor where the roses here seemed whiter than the others along the edges.  Maybe it was just the glisten of the moonlight reflecting off their recently watered petals.  She leaned in, kneeling in the dress and peering through the thick foliage.  Something glittered in there, differently than all the rest.  She reached in, feeling the thorns prick her mercilessly as she plucked the rose from its homely stem.  Pulling her arm out, that was covered in scratches, her small hand clutched the delicate flower as it dripped.  What was this?  The red dribbled down to her thumb.  Blood that wasn't her own.  Of course it occurred to her that the flower wasn't bleeding, though some wild flora did on hidden worlds.  The rose, she discovered as she felt the moistness of one of the petals, pushing away the dark red to reveal the white underneath.  It wasn't uncommon.

"So these are the roses then," she whispered to herself.  One down, two to go, as the adage went.

Ophelia stood and held the rose downward, letting the blood and scratches that marred her evaporate as they always did.  A lady didn't let herself succumb to scratches, did she?  More searching, endless corners, turning, twisting, back and forth to places she was sure she had seen before.  Ghanon had half a mind to cheat and he certainly was not above it.  Nobody who had a chance to turn something in their favor could possibly miss out on the opportunity.  Yet there was the constant, nagging reminder that he could not place himself in suspicion's eye.  Somebody was always watching.

She reached the fountain at the center of the small garden maze.  It really seemed that small for she had to been to every corner possible and found nothing, at least in the mind she had.  She set her eyes upon the fountain, approaching it with care.  The other rose had to be near here, somewhere.  Looking upward, she saw something odd about the statue that spewed water, there was something small protruding from its mouth.  Suddenly a grin spread on her face and she was tempted to remove the mask from her head just so that she could get a better look.  There at last, stem clipped as short as possible was another red-coated rose just waiting to be clutched into her waiting hands.

Reaching out with her other arm, she leaned up to the rose, ready to knock it out of the statue's mouth when something made her pause, if just for a moment.  Somebody else was here.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

It was all too easy to find the first rose, in her opinion. And though the blood that draped its petals now clung to her sand-colored skin in dry flakes, nothing removed the smirk off Ba'ast's face. She walked carelessly, easily through the maze. Her feet picking up some of the dirt as her skin smeared the night time moisture off the grass onto bare spots of ground. But that feeling of earth calmed her. She was almost as pristine as the roses, she would say.

Though, she wasn't oblivious to the passing of that woman. When her mind suddenly went silent she knew that the woman was there. Silence was never with her, but that's why telepaths seek out telepaths. There's a comfort in delving into their minds. But, there was something strange about this. A strange gust, a flash of colors that didn't belong, and that silence. So, this Ophelia had more tricks up her sleeve. Two could play at that game.

Ba'ast decided to pick up the pace, another little trick she knew was being clairvoyant. All she had to do was tap into it. Turn it on if you will. That ability always annoyed her, knowing too much too fast. Sometimes it gave her a real headache, other times...prizes of which she doesn't know the value. Let's just say this was ample opportunity to tap into said power.

She closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them. It was almost as though a silver haze took over her eyes before they went to a pale green. No iris, no blues. Just green. Whenever she was focused on a certain task her eyes did this, a dead giveaway, though only happened in this rare occasion. She glanced to the 'red' rose in her hand, then looked up and reached out to touch a wall of roses. It seemed almost as soon as she touched the wall her eyes returned to the normal. She knew where the second rose was. But the third? It seemed to be moving. And closer to that second rose. She had to move.

Ba'ast maneuvered through the maze like she had a guide telling her which way to go. In no time she was in the clearing with a different fountain. And her eye's narrowed on the rose that sat so strangely out of the statue's mouth. The rose! Ba'ast approached the statue from the other side of Ophelia, currently out of view of the other woman. She stepped into the cold fountain water, then onto the cool marble of the statue, reaching up slowly. Then she stopped.

Another hand came into view, a hand which stopped as well. Ba'ast move to the other side of the statue and looked at Ophelia. "Sorry to say it, missie. But that rose is mine." She said, waving the other blood stained rose as if to mock Ophelia. But she was careful to hide it before the woman would snatch it—if that be her motive.

All while she tried to distract the woman, her other hand reached up towards that rose. She needed to snatch it. Glory was her calling. Winning the prize. She needed it for her own self-preservation. An image she needed to withhold.

Lion

Ophelia shifted her head to view the other woman leaning off from the side of the fountain as she too reached for the rose.  As her competitor waved around the other rose, she quickly realized that this was the last rose to be had.  And it would be a cold day in the Abyss if she was going to let this sly, conniving bitch take the victory away from her especially since it was so close at hand.  She sneered internally and scrambled quickly to snatch it away before this woman, whoever she was, got her slimy hands on it.

Their fingers wrapped around it at the same time and it seemed as soon as the flower was dislodged from the statues mouth a loud horn sounded in the area, giving pause to Ophelia's attempt to yank it away as she intended to do.  Silence followed followed by the sound of bare hands clapping in applause.  But the applause was playful and negligent as if the hands could hardly have had a care in the world.  A familiar voice played out in the garden.

"Alas the roses have all been found!  The first act has been completed," the Baron said as he came forward lazily.  He smiled as he was followed by his guests.  How did he get here so quickly and how did that horn go off that signaled the end of the contest?  Ophela stared at him peculiarly and stood away from the fountain, but did not dare let go of her hold on the rose.

When the Baron approached them the smile on his face faded slightly and he held his hands together in thought.  The guests murmured amongst themselves as they noticed that there were two people with roses in their hands.  "How are we supposed to know who really won?" a guest shouted, half-drunk but sounding irritated all the same.  Several more voices followed that pushed the same question.  They didn't seem to do little more than annoy the Baron, as could be seen by the expression on his face.  But he quickly put a grin on his face and readjusted his posture.

"Well, since each of you proceeded to find one of the roses and seem to be unable to relinquish your grip on the last one, I shall say it's a tie.  And what lovely winners you both are," he said, flashing his teeth.  The guests reaction seemed lukewarm at best, but they clapped nonetheless for the merit of their host's decision.  "Yes, a tie!"

"Dinner has been prepared for all of us, so if you please, the servants will take you all to the dining room."  Von Arenim bowed as the guests began to exit from the gardens, some of them looking disappointed or irritated.  The Baron turned to the two holding the roses and kept his eyes on them.

Ophelia still did not let go of the third and last rose, though she knew the winners had already been determined, why should she give this strange woman who had the nerve to even bother competing the satisfaction of holding onto the rose?  Von Arenim unfolded his arms and reached for each rose individually, first the right then the left and then the rose held by both of them.  "I'd like to congratulate you both.  Though I should have, I did not expect there to be two winners for the first competition.  Would you mind telling me both your names?"

"Ophelia Erith," she said softly, smiling and tilting her head.  "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"And you?" the Baron asked the darker-tanned woman.  His eyes roved over her, lighting up as if to say that he approved, but he was professional in keeping his composure and kissed both of their hands when the introductions were over.

"As a reward for efforts, I shall offer but these words to you, 'Beware the glass on the left.'  Now if you don't mind, it would please me if both of you sat beside me at dinner."  With that he spun on his heel and strode away from the gardens and back into the mansion.  Ophelia glanced at both of them, then to Ba'ast, grinning smugly.  "After you," she said, and gestured for her competitor to go first.  While all the other guests hardly stood any chance against him, Ghanon was starting to consider that this Ba'ast woman was going to be a growing obstacle in the very near future.  But first dinner was to be had and everyone could always use a morsel or two.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Her eyes narrowed as she felt their fingers wrap around the rose in a sort of tangled grip. And once the rose was removed from its holding place an alarm suddenly went off. Shocked from the sudden noise, she looked over to the Baron and rose a brow. The last rose. So that meant this Ophelia had the other in her possession. Which explains why she could sense the one moving.

Ba'ast eyes returned to the woman and she snarled, tugging a bit on the rose, but to no success. The Baron spoke of how they were the winners and labeled it as a tie, and if it wasn't for him reaching out to take the roses, Ba'ast would still be holding hands with this freak of a woman. She snarled a bit more, showing off her teeth and her rather large canines. Then she made a humph sound and faced the Baron.

It seemed as though dinner was up for them, and everyone seemed to have their moods lifted a bit by the news of having food. As they all shuffled back into the mansion, Ba'ast stood her ground, watching the Baron with slightly narrowed eyes. Plus, Ophelia hadn't moved as well, and it seemed as though even batting an eye would be competitive to them.

And then introductions. She looked to Ophelia as she said her name. It wasn't the first time she was hearing it, but it seemed to ring horribly in her ears. There was something off about the name, like it didn't fit the person. Then again, with the changing eye color and the telepathic abilities...? Ba'ast shook her head and looked back to the Baron. Grinning as his eyes scanned her barely clothed self. He may be a nasty old man, but he had good taste.

She reached out her hand and let it rest on the Baron's and smirked as it was kissed. "I'm Ba'ast." Simply put. She never told anyone her full name, though the many years of ignoring it had caused her to forget her last name, and barely remember that her first name was really 'Bastet.'

Then the Baron leaned in a little to give them their prize. A piece of advice about the glass on the left. Ba'ast figured that meant that glass was spiked with something they really shouldn't be delving into. Keeping the warning fresh in her head, she glared to Ophelia, but turned and headed back into the mansion. Looking around at all the people once more. They seemed to give her a different look. Some of jealousy and others of praise. Either way, many eyes were on her and she liked it.

Making her way to one of the open seats and sitting down, the only other open seat being next to her, and being left for Ophelia. Had she more time, she would've switched the glasses, but she didn't. So Ba'ast just pushed the one on the left forward a bit. Then looked to the food.

Lion

There was sense of something extremely vigorous and dangerous about the woman who called herself Ba'ast.  The name had an oddly familiar ring to it, Ghanon thought, but he did not care to dwell on it as Ophelia made her way down to the dinner table.  He kept his eyes out for her, navigating where the servants led him, or rather her.  Ghanon did not think it was luck that led this Ba'ast to find the last rose and she seemed surprised to learn that it was.  How had she known where to look in the first place?  Though Ghanon had slowed time to gain an advantage, this woman obviously had advantages of her own that set her apart from the rest of the guests other than her looks.  On that note, she was not the only one who was not what they seemed.

Ophelia took her seat beside Von Arenim and Ba'ast, though she didn't like the idea of being so close to someone who so narrowly could have snatched away a victory.  Though a tie wasn't really a victory was it?  It didn't matter now as dinner commenced.  There was a part of her that figured that this was probably the next challenge, hence the hint of the glasses to the left.  She did not know what was in it, but she was hardly worried about whatever it might be.

After all the guests were seated at the long heavy dining table, the servants filed out carrying massive platters. They circled around the table, setting down the  platters as they went and uncovering them to reveal the most succulent morsels of meat anyone would have ever seen in their lives.  Vegetables, fruits, soups, crumb cakes, pies, loafs, roast beefs, turkeys, rib racks, eggs benedict, six different types of fish including salmon, oysters platters, and goblets filled to the brim with wine at every corner of the table.  Though many of the guests seemed eager, they were tempered enough to keep their hands at their sides first before being permitted to actually touch the food.

Baron von Arenim stood and raised his cup of wine.  "A toast to all," he said.  "I would like to instruct all of my guests to please remove your masks and give them to the servant to your immediate right.  Fear not about losing them, they will be placed in your rooms and for those that arrived together, couples and the like, shall likewise be placed together."  The guests all did so obediently, though Ophelia was a little reluctant to give hers up.  Not that it was some precious momento, but because the mask was much a part of her as she was a part of it, virtually literally.  But they all disappeared and the servants that held them departed out of the dining room out to the staircase.  If they were to be placed in rooms, Ophelia understood that they were going to be staying here for more than a few hours.

When that was done, the guests were permitted to begin their feast and they dug in as if they'd been starving hounds that were chained too long and finally allowed to chase after the bait.  But laughed and drank merrily and the room was loud with lively conversation.  Yet, despite the cacophony, Ophelia felt a little disturbed, but not overtly so.  "Beware the glass on the left" the Baron had said and as she peered around there were glasses and goblets at every side all around the table.  She reached for the glass on her left, amid the mindless conversation that she refused to listen to and sipped the wine that was there.  It was small and she swished it in her mouth, examining the flavor.  The sting was light at first and she swallowed it.  Nothing.  What there so wrong about the glass to the left?  Then she felt the sting grow, from the back of her throat and down through it.  It burned hotter and hotter until it felt like she was being choked from within.  It did not take a great deal to resist the pain but eventually the effects dissipated and Ophelia took a breath.   The wine was poisoned...

Her thoughts were interrupted when there was a sudden clatter of silverware falling onto a plate and a terrible row as some of the guests started to scream somewhere down the table.  One of them, a man in golden robes, stood up and clutched at his throat, his face turning purple as he struggled to breathe.  He collapsed on the table and then fell to the ground, dead.  The woman beside him screamed and cried for him to get up, to no avail.   Soon, Ophelia saw Bolgrim stand up and walk over to the man.  "He's dead... he's dead."  Silence.

The Baron appeared unmoved, he merely looked up wide eyed at the man called Bolgrim.  "Is he?"  Then he stood and looked over at the new corpse.  It was then that a wave of surprise fell over him and he gasped.   "What the hell has happened?" Bolgrim demanded.

"He choked it seemed," the Baron concluded, his face slightly apathetic, as he looked over from his place at the table.  He took a sip of his own wine, reaching for the one at the right side.   Ophelia looked around the table.  The glasses on the left were largely untouched, except for the man who had collapsed.  It seemed he was left-handed.

Bolgrim stared at the Baron's impassive face.  Von Arenim leaned against the table and tried to reassure this panicking guests that there was nothing to worry about, that it was simply an accident. Yet as he spoke, Bolgrim interrupted him.  "What do you mean to say Von Arenim?  Someone just died!  Open the doors.  We have to take him to his family.  Please somebody help me lift him."

"No!" Von Arenim said.  "I'm afraid that will not be possible."

Bolgrim looked at him incredulously.  "What?"

"Nobody is allowed to leave."

"One of your guests just died!  How can you say that?"

Something in the Baron changed and his eyes glittered in a reddish fury that he seemed to handle very well.  He spoke levelly and leaned against the table with both knuckles against the fabric.  "The contest isn't finished.  The doors will remain closed until the very end.  In what way is that not clear?  I understand you are a regular, Mr. Bolgrim.  And understand me that I've been a very generous man.  I cannot allow you to leave and let you interrupt that generosity.  It was an accident, no more.  And a tragedy surely, but I'm afraid leaving is but a dream that will all but fade away once you awaken.  I am sorry for his family's loss to be sure.  But my servants will take care of him.  Do not worry.  Now do we have an understanding Mr. Bolgrim?"

Bolgrim was silent for a good long moment.  At long last, he muttered, a low but audible, "Yes."

"Good."  Von Arenim smiled.  "Now please, my friends, will you please follow the serving man to your immediate right and they will lead you to your rooms.  Please remain calm, everything is under control."  The guests were all standing now and filling out of the dining room, though most were visibly shaken.  It all who did not reach for their leftside glass emerged victorious from this event.

Ophelia stood up as well, pushing her chair in as she took a suspicious glance at Ba'ast just before she was ushered off toward the stairs.  This was no ordinary game here and while the competition was not exactly fierce, at least one competitor proved to be more formidable than the rest.  There certainly needed to be an exchange of words and very soon.  Now that she thought about it, "Ophelia" was feeling rather tired.  Perhaps Ghanon wouldn't mind making an entrance once things cooled down.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Ba'st looked over to Ophelia out of the corner of her eye, but paid little mind to the woman. She couldn't care less as long as this woman stayed out of her hair for the rest of the night. Then again, being tied with this woman was a nuisance in itself. She could tell that the woman was reluctant to rid herself of that mask, even if it were to be in a safe place. Then again, so was Ba'ast considering hers had gold on it. But, she was more willing to hand it over with a death glare to the worker—daring them to do something to her precious mask. Though she could get it back easily, she didn't like the fact that other hands would print up her gold. As the worker wandered off with her mask she sighed, picking at her food with her fork for a moment and she contemplated how to get rid of this woman.

Then again that might be easier done then said. She looked over in mock amusement as Ophelia tasted the liquid in the cup on the left. She knew that if it were poisoned it wouldn't take effect immediately, and she was right. Watching the expression on Ophelia's face change ever so slightly gave it away—poison. But also gave something else away, it didn't kill her. And shortly after Ophelia was fine. Ba'ast almost pouted and started to eat her food. Maybe a full stomach would help her think of a way to rid herself of this annoyance.

Then someone keeled over. She almost choked trying not to laugh, but a small giggle did leave her ruby lip and she continued to finish off her food and the liquid in the right cup without a care in the world that some man just dropped over. That's what he gets for not winning.

The commotion from the death seemed to upset many of the guests. Thanks to them, it was now time to go to their rooms. Ba'ast stood and looked around as the others all left. Soon she found her eyes meeting Ophelia's. Just what was up with this woman? Ba'ast grit her teeth and turned towards the stairs. Walking swiftly on her bare feet up the stairs and to the room she was assigned. Approaching the center of the room and taking a cautious look around. Then she started to investigate. There had to be something dirty going on at every moment in the game. Who was to say her room wasn't booby trapped? And Ba'ast wasn't about to lose now.

Lion

She knew she could have easily poured some of the poison into Ba'ast's glass.  A simple act of pausing time and replacing her drink with the poisoned one while the glass remained in position.  But Ophelia was not entirely sure he wanted to get ride of the competition just yet.  Mindless murder was never high on his list of priorities and while Ba'ast was no doubt going to prove an annoyance in the future, she could not help but consider that killing her would not be a task so easily done.  The poison failed to work on her, as she knew it would even if the closing of her throat succeeded.  She had no inherent need to breathe even on the mortal planes, it was something done more out of habit than necessity.  But the question was, would the poison have had the same effects on Ba'ast?

There was a part of her that it figured that it probably would not.  There was something strangely upsetting that there was yet an opponent that could possibly stand in the way of obtaining the ultimate prize at the end.  Ophelia did have a faint idea what that prize might be, and yet apart of her could not conceive that it was.  She knew the Baron was in possession of a very special shard, and while she could not dictate if it was the prize of the competition, she knew that she had to find a way to get close enough to find discover it's whereabouts, a location that not even her visions had been sufficient enough to provide her a direct path.

Ophelia departed to the room that was assigned to her and closed the door behind her with a click.  She waited, expecting to hear the turn of tumblers as a key would lock the door.  It surprised her when she heard none, but she proceeded to bolt the door from the inside; there was no need to have prying eyes here after all.  Then she faced her surroundings.  It was not at all astonishing to find that the room was luxurious enough to have been constructed in some fancy hotel.  The room was large, and even that was an understatement, with a wide rounded canopy bed at its center and with a deep, heavy wooded wardrobe in the corner.  To the right side of the room was another door leading to a wash room.  And beside the door to that was a writing desk and chair with a painting easel beside it.  A portrait of a valley and river passing through it hung on the wall next to the desk.  Another portrait of a cold, desolate mountain range hung above the bed.  She looked around and saw that her mask was carefully placed at the center of a large dresser and vanity mirror on the left.  A mirror...just what she needed.

She approached the shimmering, untainted glass and viewed her reflection in the mirror, examining her chosen features, eyes of blue, orangeish hair, and that damned powder white skin.  Perhaps he should have chosen  a more exotic look.  Pale ladies were so out of fashion these days weren't they?  Not that it really mattered now.  First things first.  After making sure there was no one else in the room, Ophelia felt herself shimmer, like ripples in water, ripples that shimmered over her person until the gown she wore and the rings on her hands and the redness of her hair and eyes all vanished.  And what materialized in their place was Ghanon clad in his dark robes and trousers that were tailored to fit him without bagginess.  Robes that had a stiffened collar on his neck and an overcoat that was split as the ends went down to his knees, and from his knees down came dark boots.  He looked at himself in the mirror; regal face and silver eyes, hair near silver itself but still retained that yellowish glint that made it blonde after all.  Ghanon adjusted the bracers on his wrists and stared at his own image before he climbed atop the dresser in a crouched position.

He passed his fingers over the glass, almost as if he were afraid to touch it.  In a moment he put his hand through it and soon passed his entire body through the glass, like a phantom through a wall.  He searched through each mirror on this floor, viewing secretly through the reflections of each mirror.   A blink of an eye, and he vanished, onto the next until he came to one that showed the one he sought most.  Ba'ast.  Without sound, or even a word, he passed through the glass when he felt she wasn't looking, and stood plain as day in the room.  "So," he began softly, folding his arms across his chest, "just how clever do you think you are?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

When Ba'ast was assured that this very room was safe, she decided to relax and take in the surroundings. It was much to her liking with high ceilings draped in silver cloth. The walls a royal blue with white pillars jutting from them. And the pictures that scattered the room in various locations each depicted the ocean or some other form of water mass. Ba'ast was a fan of water, and the look of the color made her want to change her outfit. Always one to fit in, really.

So, she rid herself of her current article of dress and lazily wandered to the washroom where she decided that a shower would be best. She didn't know when the next event would start. So, she stepped onto the platform and closed the glass door behind her. Turning on the water and showering quickly but efficiently. As the water trailed over her skin, her skin seemed to darken, like sand collecting water. It was only when she stepped out of the shower and dried off did her skin return to her normal coloration.

Ba'ast wrapped the towel around her and stepped over to the bed where he clothes lie. Looking over them a moment. Still with their vibrant colors in gold with the blue and purple laces. Well, the blue would work, but not the purple or the gold. She shook her head and pulled the towel off. Drying off her hair first before casually dropping it to the floor. The first thing she chose to put on was the skirt with the built in panties. When she reached out and touched it, the colors changed. The gold plate turned to silver with blue and green precious stones that hung off the sides where her hips would be in a pattern that looked like scales. The blue lace lightened and the purple turned to a teal color. She slipped this on and secured the silver plate in place with the teal ribbons in the back. Making sure the bow she made was extra poofy.

At this point, Ba'ast could feel a surge in power and she figured something was up, but paid no mind to it. Her back remained towards that mirror where the surge seemed to be coming from as she reached over towards her top. The same thing happening with the gold, it was now silver. The purple lace was now teal. And blue and green gems hung from the silver in a scale pattern in the front. She put the top on and secured it in place. Reaching up and using a spare blue ribbon to tie her curly hair up into a messy bun as she turned to look at Ghanon. Her eyes scanning over his form, then up to his face. "I will say, I wasn't expecting you to be this good looking." She said. Lowering her arms from her hair and carelessly putting on her now all silver bangles. Each one that was gold changing as she touched them. There was no need to be secretive now.

She walked over to Ghanon and placed her hands on her hips. "I suppose I'm rather clever, since I know you're that Ophelia person. Though, judging by your stance, this is more comfortable to you. So, this is your real form." She grinned, flashing her fangs. "I wonder, though. If you dared approach me about my whit's. Then how clever are you?"

Lion

He was considerably taller than his feminine form.  He might have chosen to be a rather tall woman, but even that seemed ridiculous even to him.  Returning to his natural form was always a necessity, a small part that reminded him of who he really was, or at least what he used to be.  For all the identities that he assumed, he needed one with which he could identify on more than just a visual level.  How did that old saying go?  "Beware the mask of the monster, lest the monster turn back and become you."  It was absolutely silly, of course, but he understood what it was trying to communicate.  And as he knew there was more to this woman who called herself Ba'ast, he allowed her, for now, to see who he really was.

And furthermore, at least he didn't have to explain all this changing to her.  It was obvious that she caught on very quickly and that made him flicker a slight grin at her.  But how she knew, and what she was were questions that still were squirming in his mind.  An ordinary mortal would have never had a chance to discover that he wasn't what he seemed, unless he chose to reveal himself.  That idea alone told him that she was no ordinary mortal.  And why should she be?  Even as she so casually changed her clothing style without effort or challenge, he could tell that it wasn't just a simple parlor trick.  Maybe she really was clever, indeed.  

Ghanon circled her like a caged tiger would to prospective prey on the other side of the bars.  He walked all the way around her, sizing her up as would any good opponent.  Whether or not they were still opponents, he wasn't sure.  There could be advantages to gaining the trust of someone like her.  Whatever she was.  She was powerful indeed, even to have made it thus far.  Yet, he did remind himself after all that he didn't do much to turn the tables of the competition into his favor.  There was much more he could have done, yet he'd refused for the sake of his cover.  Now that was blown, though by a single person and what was it worth preserving now.  Even with the Baron knowledgeable of the existence of "Ophelia" he could easily remedy the situation by proclaiming that she did not heed the warning and drank the poison from the left glass (which he did), dying only shortly after dinner in her room.  He may have to produce a corpse for that to be considered valid; that point being but a teensy obstacle that could easily be remedied.  And play the rest of the game under a new identity.  This time, a man; and since Ba'ast was already aware of his real form, there was no reason to change it up.  From what he'd observed already the Baron had so many parties and drinks in his life that he was positive the man would not recall the difference from one face to another. He would still be just like any other guest.

"Expectations all seem to be going south now are they? Evidently, I was not clever enough to fool you with my disguise, Ba'ast.  I am Ghanon, simply.  But, tell me, as there seems that there are explanations for many things, even if it isn't everything, exactly how did you know that I was not the woman I appeared to be?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She never bothered to move when he chose to circle her, only she looked at herself in the mirror and fussed with her hair a bit. Trying to fix the sloppy bun so it was a fashionable sort of sloppy. That, and she looked over her new outfit to see how the colors went together and how it all flowed. Only when he spoke did she acknowledge that he was in the room.  Turning to face him and she smirked. "Ghanon. Well. I think that name suits you better than Ophelia. Though, when it comes to picking rich snobs, you're not bad." She said smugly.

She almost chose to ignore his next question, but then thought it might actually work to her advantage so she placed her hands on her hips and looked over his form again. "Well.. I suppose a reveal for a reveal. Suddenly her body seemed to be surrounded by a twister of sand before it incased her and then suddenly vanished just as quickly as it appeared. What was left was her standing there with large multicolored wings with beads hanging from the feathers, as well as beading hanging from her hair. Her eyes narrowed a bit more, the color of her irises seemed to flow like flames. Other than that she just had a more powerful feel to her, like she let down her defenses.

Ba'ast gave Ghanon a moment to just take it in before she spoke. "I could tell, because you were as disguised as me, though you still had some arrogance to you. That and you gave it away by your little slowing time trick." She smirked. "I saw you flash by a couple of times, I have to admit, I'm not used to meeting people who are powerful like me. But, I'm quite annoyed." She shook her head. The wings and beading vanished and her eyes returned to normal. "So, dear... Ghanon. What do you think I am?" She approached him and leaned in close to his face. Her hands reaching out to hold onto his hip. "Hmm..?"

Lion

Ghanon watched her lazily as she changed.  He almost wanted to step back and take a seat.  It really did make for quite a great show.  The wings were a little off-putting, but that was natural.  It wasn't everyday people popped up with wings.  He certainly was enjoying himself.  He always did when these showy types waved around their ostentatious decorations.  Prettying themselves up to show how powerful they were.  He had no doubt that she truly was powerful, but he preferred a more dishonest subtlety for himself.  All he could do was offer an impressed grin at the transformation that played out before him.

It wasn't a power he knew that any real deity often performed.  Usually they had a few tricks up their sleeves when they chose an appearance, but it was usually one that they didn't deviate from.  It was their chosen guise when visiting the mortal worlds.  One everyone knew them by, the one that made that not only symbolic of them exclusively, but also told their followers that creatures in relation to that appearance were to be regarded with respect and awe.  He could hardly make himself believe she was a goddess.  No, he didn't get that kind of astral aura from her.  It must have been something else that while, made her powerful, made her distinctly separate from the classification of otherworldly beings.

However, just because he didn't feel she was truly a divinity, that didn't mean she probably wanted to be called anything else.  The size of the ego on her was more than apparent to point that out, and probably something she enjoyed being stroked.

She spoke and he tilted his head as he listened.  When she was done, he crossed his arms over his chest and kept grinning.  The arrogance, it seemed, was mutual.  "So very casual, so quickly," he chuckled.  "I had not thought we reached that level yet, 'dear'.  But as for what you are, the only conclusion I could readily concur with was that you are a goddess.  Only a goddess could possibly be as beautiful as you."  He'd seen more beautiful women than her of course, turned into more beautiful women.  But that wasn't the point in telling her all that.  He reached down for the hand that would grace his hip and kissed it lightly before releasing it.  "Was that satisfactory enough?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The fact that he was messing with her amused her. His arrogance combated with hers. They were so similar in their demeanor that it was uncanny that they could actually be in the same room together and not be trying to kill each other. Her eyes almost twitched at the thought of having to fight someone. She didn't want to smudge her silver. Or break a nail. Then again... he would probably put up a good fight. Judging by how her held himself.

She let her hand be lifted to his lips and kissed, then pulled it from his grip and chuckled. "The mere fact that you expect me to believe that you think I am a goddess it appalling. But I'll hand it to you for having brains enough to suggest I am of divinity. Maybe I'll let you in on a little secret. Dear." The words slapped sexily off her lips. "You tell me what you are, and I'll tell you what I am."

((OOC: Short~! Sorry!))

Lion

[No worries!]

He supposed they could make sculptures with the amount of ego that was circumventing the room.  So much so that he wondered just the both of them could possibly fit in it despite the room's luxurious size.  But while they traded clever phrases and quips, Ghanon sized her up in terms of what sort of threat she really posed.  If she wasn't a goddess, then what could she possibly offer that could prevent him from winning this contest?

He crossed his arms across his chest once again.  He sort of wanted to laugh with the sloppy way she tried to make her words sound oh so seductive.  But he'd certainly give her props for trying.  "Now where would the fun be in that?  But I suppose since you have been so kind, the favor shouldn't be asking too much.  You might call me a demigod, so to speak.  I'm a one of a kind."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She could tell his demeanor changed when she spoke seductively. Well, this one one man that didn't let his second brain lea all the time. That was something new to her. She was used to being able to control a situation with men because she was a knock-out. But, to him. She wasn't. And that frustrated her. She stepped back from him and looked him over. Especially when he said what he was. Kinda.

He smirked. A demigod was a nice way to put it, but she didn't want to believe it. If he were a demigod then he would be more powerful than her. Though, she was a fireball herself and more or less had the powers of a goddess. And though she was born a high demon, many times they thought she was much more than just that. She was treated differently and highly respected for her powers, they told her she must've been some sort of goddess to wield such a power. And thus, her ego was born.

She crossed her arms as well, but habit kicked in and she ended up pushing her breasts together. She was so used to using her body to seduce. And something about this man made her want to have him seduced. His arrogance and the mere idea that he may be more powerful than her.. Oh, what a turn on!

"Well, if you are a demigod, then I suppose I am a true goddess. Though, I am believed to be one. Not just me. But my people. Call it a strange birth." She smirked. "I might as well just go as a goddess."

Lion

Even if she wasn't a real goddess by birth, and his senses told him that she really wasn't, she sure as hell had the right attitude for one.  Deities that chose a mortal-like form, tended to often deny being gods or goddesses themselves at first, the unpretentious ones that is.  The latter half of the meal usually didn't give a flying fuck whether or not those they encountered knew of their godly powers or whatnot.  He had a feeling that she was a strange lovechild of the two sides.

While the whole demigod thing was bit of a stretch, it wasn't that far from the truth.  There was no easy way to explain what he really was, what he used to be, and what he was capable of.  Explanations were always so tedious and generally not what he cared to use unless necessary.  A mortal no longer made a mortal, yet inherited the powers of a god, though was not begat by one.  What kind of existence was that?  Labels...those were never easy.

He adjusted his hips and stepped in a little closer and returned the same speculative gaze she gave him.  It wasn't that he didn't find her attractive, quite the contrary in fact.  But he'd been around long enough to have the willpower to temper his urges.  With most encounters of such a nature, he was just going through the motions, using it as a catalyst rather than as a form of expressing something deep, or personal, or important.  It was a tool for a change, or a weapon for destruction, to be utilized as a means to an end.  Yet, it was never a case of him not giving in willingly, which he certainly could do if he wanted to.  It was just a matter of choice.

"Yes, you quite a goddess then," he said.  Then glanced down at her chest to at least give her the satisfaction that he acknowledged they existed, and were lovely.  Some things just didn't need to be said.  Ghanon moved away from her, putting his hands behind his back, looking around the room and taking in the scenery it offered.  "Ba'ast, now that that matter has been cleared up.  There is one more thing I'd like to run by you.  It is one concerning the Baron's contest.  I'd very much like to know how intent you are in winning this game."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Her eyes followed his down to her chest and she smirked. Quickly dropping her arms and placing her hands back on her hips. Her eyes returning up to his face and she watched as he spoke. "How intent am I on winning? Extremely intent." She almost started to tap her foot from annoyance. "Why would I be here if I didn't want to win? And, not only that, but I want to know what that prize is. The satisfaction of winning it is only one part."

Ba'ast could sense he wanted this prize a great deal, but wondered if there was something else he was trying to get at. She stepped closer to him again. "You seem to be very intent on this prize yourself. Is there any reason why someone like you is here wanting to win the prize? Makes me wonder if there's more to your madness."

Ba'ast shifted her weight. Curious about him. "And, how often do you sneak into women's rooms through their mirrors?" Her hands came forward and she let her thumbs slip past his robes and her thumbs slipped into his pockets as her hands rested on his hips. "What are you trying to get at?" She had an almost playful yet deadly look in her eyes. It was like her mood could shift in an instant depending on how he answered that question.

Lion

The nature of the prize, what was it?  For all he knew it could have been something as simple as a rose or a sweet treat.  The Baron was an unpredictable man, for all his eccentricity.  Yet something told Ghanon that the likelihood of it being something stupid or simple was far lesser than getting struck by lightning.  Baron von Arenim was a strange man, but he wasn't an idiot.  One person already died, and with the way he'd handled it, it was obvious he was very serious about this game.  The prize, whatever it was, must be worth winning if the guests' very lives hung in the balance.

When she questioned his own intent, Ghanon simply made a crooked grin and leaned in.  Just how intent was he winning?  Even he couldn't say exactly.  There was one thing he knew the Baron had that he knew would be his if he could get close enough.  But if that object was the prize, then he could not risk anyone else winning.  So that in itself was enough to drive him to achieve victory no matter what.  But he didn't fear losing, and he certainly didn't fear losing to someone like Ba'ast.  With the way she was acting, there were certain things to be taken advantage of and he could see through to the frustration his evasiveness was causing her, at least through her body language.

"Only as often as I need to.  If one of them proves interesting enough.  You, certainly have caught my interest.  And as for how intent I am to win, well, against someone as formidable as you, I'm not quite sure I still have a leg to stand on," he said honestly.  "But I have my ways."

Ba'ast was the only one who could see through his disguise, and that was only because he hadn't been careful enough to consider the fact that he'd been watched earlier.  She was smarter than the rest, and that was enough to make him feel that she was still a threat.  He let her rest her hands on his hips and even leaned forward to let her get a better grip.  "What if I were to propose to you that we work together in this contest?  I'm sure whatever we have to offer would be of more value together than separately.  I've got more at my disposal than what you've seen.  The Baron is unpredictable and, chances are, has more difficult tasks to accomplish before this contest is over.  And if we win, you may name anything you want from me and I'll see to it that you get it.  He's got something that I want, and you to win.  What if I offer you my services, in exchange for yours?  I could use your intellect and cunning.  After all, two heads are better than one."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

There was something in the way that Ghanon acted that changed as they both were coming to realize each other's powers. And, now that she knew Ghanon's intention for winning the game, his proposal to work together was starting to sound like a good idea. That way she could just pass off the prize if it was something she didn't need. But, if it was something she wanted and it was the prize he sought, he seemed as though he'd be able to make a good enough trade. Services? Which ever her price may be.

Her eyes studied his face to see if he were lying, but nothing seemed to differ from when he was obviously speaking the truth. Her hands tightened on his hips and she brought herself right up against him. Leaning in and letting her lips brush his ear. "I suppose this is a deal I can't pass up." She purred a bit and smirked. Moving to look him in the eye. "You want to work together.. Then fine. But don't you go hiding things on me." Ba'ast thought for a moment about the predicament, then licked her lips. "Why don't you stay here tonight? I can't have you running off through mirrors. I'm an easily angered girl, and I don't like to work with more than just one person." Her right hand released his pocket and slid up his side. Uncaring that her hand had slipped under his shirt. And, for such a sinister seeming man, his skin was soft and he felt like he was pretty muscular.

"Unless you don't fancy my company...?"