Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

This isn't awkward at all. [Tally-poo!]

Started by Rhindeer, June 26, 2011, 08:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

After parting ways with Doyle, Niamh started back for the Solisi headquarters, feeling more hopeful about being back. Even when she started to wear on the Father's hospitality, she at least had a job secured and...and, well, she could probably find a place to live around here. But she wouldn't start thinking about that until she had coin and a steady enough job to afford it and she hoped she could make herself useful around the Father's home enough to buy some time or something.

Ugh, she really had no idea what she was doing. This was all assuming the Lumenari wouldn't take her back--which was unlikely. Why would they? Dimitri was livid. Some things had been resolved, and she felt better about that, but other things she just didn't know how to broach or repair.

Now probably wasn't the time. Later? Maybe. She hated leaving loose ends and it wasn't like she could stay out of sight forever; her luck was abysmal. Maybe she should just get it over with and out of the way so she could breathe easier and not worry about running into him--but it wasn't so much that she was afraid of him making good on his threats as she just didn't think she could handle the disappointment and betrayal and--

She rounded a corner, and caught sight of a familiar head of blond hair, familiar teal eyes, familiar everything.

FUCK!

Stupidly, she froze, mind yelling shit, shit, shit! but mouth hanging open, unable to produce sounds. When she finally could get something out, it was a lame, "Hey." Complete with awkward wave.

The universe hated her, and she kind of hated it.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Her.

They froze at exactly the same moment.  She recovered first.  He stared at her for a long moment and thought...what?  Rage threatened to boil over into sudden, impulsive violence but his head was empty.

He adjusted the weight of the tack he carried on his shoulder.  It was by the grace of the Light only that he was able to walk toward her, walk past her without saying anything, without doing anything.  Murder must have been written on his face but he remembered what Speaker had said, that she had a service to provide in the Sun's greater plan, that it was not Dimitri's place to question or act against that plan.  He did not respect Speaker nor think him worthy of his station—a man could not be a proper priest!—but sometimes he spoke sense.

Rhindeer

Niamh sucked in a breath and waited for it to come, stomach twisting. She knew that look--not on him, but she'd seen it before back when--yeah. A knot of tension settled between her shoulders and she didn't know what to say or where to begin and part of her wanted to just start babbling, but she was also trying to go for dignified. Her mind raced to find the right words but by the time she opened her mouth, he was coming toward her--shit!--and...

Past her.

What.

That wasn't how this was supposed to go! He wasn't supposed to ignore her, and the brush-off stung, unexpectedly, more than the threats of violence. She'd looked up to him, admired him, very nearly idolized him because he was kind of what she wanted to be and the leader and so awesome and she soaked up his praise like sand soaked up rain. When she'd been gone, she'd wanted every day to come back, and when she finally contacted him...she'd failed him. He didn't respect her. He hated her.

It wasn't something she could just let stand. It mattered to her, and that's what finally shook her into action.

"Hey, wait!" she called, turning and starting after him. "Dimitri, I just--lemme explain?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

He didn't have a weapon on him, but he wouldn't need one to throttle her.  If the bitch kept talking she'd find that out.  He made it two steps before his resolve burned away.

"Don't talk to me.  We have nothing to say to each other."  He turned away again, and for both their sakes he hoped she shut her mouth and went her way.

Rhindeer

Niamh knew she should stop. She knew this would just end badly. But she couldn't let it go and she was not going to take the coward's way out and back off with her tail between her legs.

"I just wanna apologize," she said.

Tally

"I'm sure," he said.  He didn't stop or slow down.  He was afraid if he stopped to look at her again he'd lose it.  Of course the bitch wanted to apologize.  She'd abandoned them all and was now inflicting her presence on them again.  Trouble was, apologizing meant shit to him.  Her word was worth nothing anymore.

Rhindeer

Niamh paused, debating, nervous, but gave it one last try.

"Then would you stop for a second? Please? I...I don't think I came off well last time."

Tally

He stopped.  Probably not a good idea.  He wanted to throw the saddle and tack at her.

"Go on," he said.  "Let's have it.  Say it.  Make yourself feel better.  It'll do fuck all else good."

Rhindeer

Niamh froze, swallowing nervously. Now that she'd finally gotten his attention, she didn't know what to say. And the fact of the matter was, she felt like it was her fault. Like she somehow could have prevented everything if she'd just been a little smarter or stronger or...had more faith. She'd thought she'd had a lot of that, but it had done her no good; no one had saved her, the Light hadn't protected her, and in the end she had to save herself.

And even that had cost her nearly everything. She'd done things to get out of that situation that...well, maybe Dimitri was right about her.

Except he'd done shit all to help her.

She'd had to help herself.

And here he was judging her for it. Hating her for it. Making her feel like it was her fault.

Sudden realization struck as she stood there, lost for words and intimidated in the face of his anger, and her own hurt and anger flared up with it before she could stop it.

"You never once tried to find me." The words spilled out, half directed at him and half an epiphany spoken out loud. "You never came for me! I trusted you and looked up to you and you never came! Did you even look for me? A little? You don't know half of what I went through and now I have to grovel for the right to apologize for something I never wanted? You know what? You're right. We have nothing to say to each other."

Tally

He didn't want to hear her.  He let the words come and go.  Didn't want to think about them, what they might mean.  He knew the truth, he'd decided on it, and nothing she said or didn't say would change that.

He stayed quiet long enough to make sure she was done.  "That it then?  Did it work?  You feel any better?"

Rhindeer

Niamh's eyes narrowed and she took a deep breath to control herself so she didn't say what she really wanted to say. "Better and worse, but at least I know who my friends are," she snapped and turned to leave.