Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Working Overtime

Started by Anonymous, July 18, 2011, 08:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

With the twilight sky upon the city of Uthlyn, most students and teachers had left for the night, to return to their homes, to eat warm meals and sit by a fire and talk about all the wonderful things that they had learned...

Not Ileana. For the fourth time that week she had been sucked into overtime work, without pay. Some very degrading overtime work. But she couldn't let that get to her. Even as she bent awkwardly upon the ground on her knees, bracing most of her weight upon her front legs, her tail swishing to generate air in the stale atmosphere, the cotton sleeves of her shirt pulled up to bare her forearms as she scrubbed the tile floor, she just told herself how worse off she could be.

She could be out on the streets, begging for food. She could be hiding from the dogs of the mage-hunters, praying that they didn't catch a whiff of her powers. She could be dead, a little foal trapped in a box filled with hay. And since she wasn't any of those things, she was grateful.

Foregoing her underbust in favor of breathing, her blond hair tied up in a tight bun against her head, though a few stands still wavered down her back, brushing the silver fur on her spine. She had tried to even tie her tail up as well, but the loose leather strip tangled in it indicated what a success that had been. For now, she just focused her efforts on scrubbing, the suds soaking into her hands and making them wrinkled, until finally her legs were shaking from the effort of kneeling and the floor in the self of Hl-Ho was gleaming.

Huffing, Ileana gently rose to her fours, crossing her arms and holding the sponfe, inspecting her work. "Good job," she said to herself, stamping her hoof proudly. "Now you just have... forty more to do!"

She couldn't help but sigh, and replacing the last stands of hair back in her bun, she pushed her bucket along the floor, trotting carefully to avoid slipping. However, once she entered the study area, with its comfortable, roaring fire and the stained glass windows, Ileana couldn't help but pause in her work, blue eyes gazing upwards at the windows, stars reflected in them.

"Beautiful," she said, softly, her voice barely a whisper.

Maybe, tonight, everything would be different. Somehow.

Anonymous

Kherrin nudged his reading lenses further up his muzzle with one thumb-claw, tilting them to get a clearer view of the paper. With the other thumb-claw he flicked the page over, hunching his furred shoulders to get closer to the text. All the time he mumbled to himself in a mix of Connlaothi and his native tongue, full of clicks and squeaks, with words of a dozen other languages tossed in like a salad. His tail-tip was wrapped firmly around a pen, which scribbled notes as he read.

His ears noticed the centaur before he did, swiveling instinctively to catch the sound of her hooves clicking on the floor. After a few seconds' delay, his head jerked up with a squeak of sonar. Why is there a horse in here? he began to wonder; then the echoes solidified in his head, a shape he was unfamiliar with but could recognize.

"A centaur!" he chirped, then caught himself, repeated the exclamation in Connlaothi. "I've never met one of your kind before!" The pen clattered to the floor as he scampered over to her, not at all intimidated by their vastly differing heights and masses. "Tell me--how does it work? Are there two sets of organs, two hearts, four lungs, and so on? or are they fused somehow? How do the muscles interact?" He shrugged, chittering a laugh; "Well, those are questions for a dissection slab. Chik. Not," he added hastily, "that I would dissect you. Not without permission. Ah but I'm forgetting myself; you can call me Kherrin." He extended a thumb-claw in lieu of a hand, hoping the gesture was similar enough to be recognized.

(This was actually kind of a bad idea on my part, as I'm leaving for fifteen days tomorrow...)