Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fragments of Time

Started by Lion, August 02, 2011, 09:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Ghanon was unmoved by her words, they brushed over him like the ashes of fire.  Though he was cut by her nails and bled from his wounds, he only looked at her shining eyes.  She was livid, angry, and with the way she was spoke, it seemed she was dead set on everything she uttered.  He expected nothing less from her, for she answered with every syllable that came out of her mouth.  He clasped his arm when she let go of him and moved to make her way out of the cave.  He could let her leave...but that would mean his existence and all he worked for would be for naught.  He couldn't let that happen, not again.

Ghanon stood and followed her to the mouth of the cave where the rain pelted down in sheets, having become harsher than before.  He was nearly blind in the water, but his eyes were steady enough to catch her and he stood several feet away from her, his wounded arm clutched on the wall.   "You say you've become one with your own darkness, what lurks inside of your heart...and yet you would run away like a child," he said softly, impassive almost, but inside his was boiling with conflicting thoughts and feelings.  "You let yourself drown in your own pain...but you always seem to be running away from me.

"You think that I don't understand you, that I assume you're weak when I know you're strong.  That I think you naïve when you're anything but!  You walk away from me, and you walk away from the only other person who's wanted to know you in this world, who has reached out for you.  Even if it meant baring my own pain...my own memories, that I've long since hidden away, and it took you to bring them out.  We're more alike than you think...and just as different in as many ways.  You turn back now...and you'll be just as alone like you were before.  Drifting without a purpose.  If that is what you truly want, then I will respect your decision...and I will leave you alone.  But it has to be your choice.  It MUST always be your choice."

Ghanon stepped closer to her, cover the distance until he was at the very edge of the cave, that opened up to the cliffside and rocks below.  He didn't look down, he just stood beside her and reached out a hand for her to take if she wanted it.  "All I asked was if that was what you really wanted.  The things I've done...all I do is show the person the way, it is up to them what choice they make.  If you want to be dark, then I will be there with you.  You want to discover more...let me show you more."  Ghanon was close enough to feel her breath and he did not think about it before he did it; he knew that if he did it, he would have reconsidered.  He leaned in and took her lips with his own, kissing her in that torrent of rain, and if she shoved him over that cliff that moment, he wouldn't have gave a damn.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

The cold could have made her shiver, but instead her body adjusted to the low temperature and she felt one with it.  His lips were sweet, as always, and now she could confirm that he knew the sway he held over her.  She let him take advantage of the moment and bring a tone of dramatic romance to the scene.  After a long, breathless moment, she pulled away, her teeth capturing his bottom lip between her teeth lovingly.  Her eyes flashed every now and then with the vibrancy of her anger.  She was not dissuaded.  He had touched her deeply, in so many ways, and it bothered her a little that his opinions of her, or what she perceived to be his opinions, effected her so.  She drew a talon down the side of his cheek and left a track of water where it had touched.  

A decision in her was made.  She was in an adventurous mood, and she wanted him to realize that sometimes, he was meant to follow her.

"There's nothing more you can show me here."

Her body ached to be close to his, but she held fast to her resolve.

"I need to be alone for a while.  I will meet you at our destination."

And with that, she turned and ascended into the atmosphere.

Lion

He could have sworn she was going to shove him off that cliff and that would be the end of it.  He wouldn't have found reason to blame her, after all the poking and prodding he'd put her through, the trust he'd needed her to feel for him, to listen to what he had to say, to what he felt, even if it meant exposing old wounds best left forgotten.  He needed her because without her, he would not get what he had sought so much...and he knew that his own existence would begin to fade.  It didn't take long to realize that so much more was at stake here than just the Dreamshard, so much more.  And it was at this moment that he realized that his search for the shards may just cost him his existence.  And all would truly be for naught.

He needed her now more than ever, not just for the shard, but for himself....and perhaps even more than that.  But that was a thought, he could not afford to give emotion towards.  It would cripple him!  It would make all this far more a risk that he might be willing to take.  He was afraid to lose himself in her, for fear that he would forget his purpose.  She would turn away from him if he told her why he'd really found her...  But then he thought of Arcan and knew he wouldn't tell her if he really didn't have to.  He was the thread holding both sides together, getting stretched thinner and thinner by the moment.

Yes, she could have thrown him off that cliff and he wouldn't have cared because at least he had the chance to taste her before she let him break his now fragile body on the sharp rocks below.  Instead, she pulled away from him, as she seemed destined to do.  Yet, he didn't fret.  This was the choice she made and they would meet again to the North, in that place of ice and snow.

"I'll see you there," he said, grinning slightly, watching her fly away.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Months passed, as they always seemed to between the two of them.  They truly were creatures of undying life who could go eons without seeing one another, and have the happy happenstance to have their destinies cross and the time that had once distanced them seemed narrower than the tip of a feather.  Months were milliseconds to them, however, Lana was careful to utilize her time wisely.  She also was aware of how patience was of most virtue in gaining the trust of the inhabitants she soon found herself immersed in.  It was a stark contrast to the bustling life they had left not long ago in a thriving town.  Here, the weather wasn't the only bleak aspect to the land.  The villagers were comprised mainly of women either swollen with child, or women already trailed by a number of tiny children at their feet.  Men were scarce to find at this time of year, and there was an intimacy between the women that was somehow unique to them.  It was understandable, as from what Lana understood, what was necessary to maintain survival caused them to have to rely more heavily upon one another than a much more populated, and less rugged place.  The fact that she was a woman, or what they perceived to be one, allowed her to be more easily accepted into their social sphere.  Slowly she gained their trust and immersed herself in their culture.  It was obvious to them, however, that she was foreign.  Whether or not they suspected her to be more than this, she wasn't aware, but it appeared that if any there were any wild whispering going on, it was few and far between.  

The cold suited her.  It touched her, but often she had to feign her shivers on a particularly cold night to make sure she did not disturb their suspicions.  She was able to learn to make fine clothing from the most basic, and rare materials about.  In secret thanks to them for their welcoming spirit, she imbued their clothing with protection and long lasting health.  

It was apparent to Lana that this small, removed group of people all carried the characteristics of oddities.  Their body language and solitude demonstrated that they had once been considered outcasts.  This, she realized, was why she was so easily accepted into their small world.  

As days grew long, arduous, and repetitive, Lana realized that she was yearning for his company.  She had needed to give herself space to breathe, but she knew it could never last for long.  The months had seemed to go by quickly while she was immersed in her discovery of this tiny culture, but watching the sun rise and set so many times, and being caught in the snow, the snow that reminded her of her home, her heart began to ache, and time became a nuisance.  

The day had begun as normally as any other.  The women awoke to prepare breakfast, but there was a particular liveliness among them.  The men were to return.  In all of the hustle and bustle, Lana wondered if it were time for her own to return....

The sun arose above a small, pathetic bunch of trees that poked from the icy ground giving a depth of life to her surroundings.  Lana sat with her knees to her chest wrapped in her arms, her chin rested on her forearm, and contemplated the excitement of her friends.  Her fingertips caressed the small pale shard at her neck, and instantly a warm pain gripped her chest.  An aching.  The women were laughing behind her at a distance.  

"Ghanon...." she sighed, her frustration mounting with her realized need of him, "Please be near."

She pressed the small shard to her breast.

Lion

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn