Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Shopping and Other Things [Rina]

Started by Tally, September 09, 2011, 05:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

"I think you may have to show me your shapes."  It sounded like Doyle didn't care to follow the constellations recognized by the college—either that or he didn't know about them.  So he'd made his own, seeing shapes among the scattering of stars while on his travels.

Ruben leaned forward.  "Away where?  Where all have you been?"

Anonymous

"I would love to! We can go out some night and I'll point 'um out to ya." Doyle only new the official constellations that his farther had shown him, which were only a few. The rest he had made up on his own.

The question about where he had been had Doyle fidgeting a little, eyes on his chicken, "Oh, well, all over. Been to Adela, Essyrn for a spell, Serendipity, even Connlaoth for a bit. Anywhere the jobs took me."

Tally

"Essyrn!  What's it like there?  What kind of job took you there?"  It was one of the places he longed to go someday, but his ability to travel was...limited.  He went where the college bade him, and thus far that had been Serendipity and La'marri.  All he knew of Adela was what he had seen as they passed through during the journey to get here.

Anonymous

Doyle hated talking about himself. He just felt awkward and stupid and he would much rather talk to other people. He took some bites of chicken, hardly tasting it now, wishing he could think of how to change the subject gracefully, "It's real pretty. Nothin' like here. Everything is real bright, to help deflect the heat. Pretty clothes too. I liked the clothes. Don't eat the food there though. It's pretty spicy and ya might die."

He grinned, face twisting as he remembered when Ruben had eaten some of his spicy food, "What about ya? You do much traveling?"

Tally

"Die?" he said.  "It's that spicy?"

And he'd thought Doyle's food was unbearable!  How spicy would something have to be to kill people?!  You'd have to wear gloves just to eat the stuff and it could probably blind you with its fumes!

"No, no.  I have to go where the college needs me.  Have you ever been further south than Essyrn?"  So much uncharted land beyond the jungle.  And the jungle itself!  No one had ever reached the far side of it, it was so dense and hostile.  Imagine what lands could wait beyond.

Anonymous

"Oh, well, not actually die. Just, cause, well, yer a little sensitive ta the spice is all." Doyle shook his head at Ruben's question, still feeling very uncomfortable, "No, just a bit into the desert, but not much. I bet ya got much more interestin' stories about yer work."

Tally

"I am sensitive to excessive spice," he corrected.  "Nothing I have to tell would be interesting to you.  It's all all research and speculation and staring into the sky for hours."

All of which enthralled Ruben, but Doyle was too worldly for a subject like that to be of any interest to him.

"What did you see in the desert?  There are documented ruins there.  I've seen maps of some of their locations."

Anonymous

"Oh, well, I never got to go to none of those. It was all, er, well, buisness trips and all. Ain't much need fer a mercenary to go out there." Doyle gave Ruben a bright smile, "Maybe we can go some time. I'll take ya when yer arm is all healed if the University wont mind a little vacation."

Tally

"No, no, I couldn't."  Ruben waved away the idea.  "I can't spare the time, I need to finish my work.

He poked at the pottage.  "Maybe after," he added, quieter.

Anonymous

"Any time you want. I'll take ya once your work is all done. It seems like real important work." Doyle nodded, "Yer making some formulas for magic, right?"

Tally

"That's right," Ruben said, a little surprised that Doyle remembered that.  He spoke of his work often because it was what he knew and what he felt most comfortable speaking on, but it was always with the acceptance that few people if anyone cared about the subject.  And why should they, it didn't affect them at all.

"The declensions.  All I need is one, then I can surmise the others from there."

Anonymous

"Oh yeah?" Doyle didn't really get what it was that Ruben was working on, or how one could work all that stuff out. But it was important to Ruben, so he did his best to pay attention to it, "How exactly does that work? Dependin' on the stars, ya can make some spell or somethin?"

Tally

"Just one," Ruben said, leaning back in his chair.  He was done with the food, and in talking with Doyle he hadn't even noticed how substandard it was.

"The declensions," he said, staring upward, nearly daydreaming, "are an invocation of every aspect of a constellation at once.  Like...Scorpio is a water sign, and thus you can invoke water from it, but it has other traits as well.  The theory is that all traits can be invoked simultaneously.  it would be a powerful formula, if I can find it."

Anonymous

That all sounded like a lot of magic nonsense to Doyle, but he knew it must work. He had seen Ruben call down fire in that clearing, so he nodded his head, understanding about half of what Ruben said to him, "And ya think you are close to figurin' it out?"

Tally

"No," Ruben said, crossing his arms.  "Maybe.  Every time I think I've got something it takes me to an impasse and I have to begin again."

He loved the process of discovery.  If he had all the time in the world, he would be happy to spend all day playing with concepts and chasing down every impossible conclusion.  If he had the time, and he did not.  The pressure of it took all the joy out of it for him.

Anonymous

"I'm sorry. Is there anythin' I can help with? I mean, not with the formulas or anythin' but like, just, if ya need any liftin' or more quiet or anything." Doyle fidgeted, wishing he was able to help more. But he wasn't very good at anything to do with numbers or magic/

Tally

"You are helping!"  Ruben's face lit up in a smile.  He truly could not express to Doyle what an advantage it was to have someone of a different sign to test formulas with concurrently.  "Having you there when I try to define the aspects cuts the time in half.  It's quite useful."

Anonymous

"Ya sure? I feel like I'm not really doin' much and ya got really important work ta do." The smile on Ruben's face made him feel warm and he returned it with his own twisted grin, "It's nice ta see ya so happy though. I know it's been rough with yer arm and havin' ta stay with me."

Tally

"It has its drawbacks," he conceded, for that was certainly true.  Lacking the observatory's greater spyglass limited him some ways.  "But having a Virgo around provides other opportunities that I wouldn't have otherwise."

Anonymous

"I'm glad at least for that." Doyle smiled back, "I know that the whole meetin' part was a little rough, but I am glad I got ta help ya. I ain't never seen anyone call down fire like that."