Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Knots can be Undone and Remade

Started by Winters-Feather, September 28, 2011, 08:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winters-Feather

Issen nodded at his answer to her question, though she was not nearly satisfied with it. She didn't know the first thing about weapon building, so the woman felt that she would be useless with such a search. However, she knew what arrows looked like. At least, if her memory didn't fail her.
Those are the sticks with pointed edges, I think.

As Hysaeda lead her to the weapon stand, Issen shyly  observed the display. She didn't like weapons, much, and the woman frowned as she tried to recall the names of each and every one.
Axe...Dagger...Sword...
They were plainly made, with little to no elaborate detail. Because of this, they looked rather harsh and barbaric, as opposed to the more expensive vendors with more elegant and beautiful weapons.
In the end, they'll both kill you, she thought, a little disdainfully.

The owner  looked just as rough as his weapons, but more kindly.  Issen watched silently as he exchanged words with Hysaeda, understanding none of it.  
"Oh," she exclaimed, as she watched the burly man hand over what looked like wood and a dagger to Hysaeda. In return, her companion handed him the second bangle. The woman had caught a quick glance at her new friend's coin purse; he didn't look like he beared much.

Issen took in a sharp breath when he addressed her. It was true she didn't like weapons and never dreamed of ever learning to use one, but he looked serious. She pierced her lips together- it was true. Her heart could be teared out at that moment, but she'd still live a life in pain until she could undo that curse.

This is the world you live in now, she thought as she boldly reached out for the dagger. Besides, he was her companion and savior; it was only fair that she at least learn to not be so helpless.
"Alright, then," she said, "Thank you. Um...Do you need another bangle? You ran out, and I don't want you to not being able to get anything you need, especially not because of me."
She paused, fiddling with her bag with her other hand.
"Do...I put the dagger in here?" the woman asked, sheepishly.

Lion

The dagger in hand came with a thin leather sheath, if a little flimsy, worn and scratched up, but it would work for the purpose it served.  He knew she'd be uncomfortable with the whole idea, but for now it was necessary.  He cringed at the idea of her being vulnerable, or anyone for that manner.  What if there was a time he couldn't be there to help or protect her, she should at least be able to defend herself.  Weapons were a fact of life where he came from.  Death grasped the weak and the vulnerable, and only the strong survived.  It was normal for him, but his mind was not her own.  It would take time for her to get used to the whole idea to be sure.

Hysaeda slipped the blade into the sheath and handed it over to her with a nod.  "It should be fine in the bag," Hysaeda nodded.  "No, I can't take anymore of your jewelry.  It feels wrong taking it from you, Issen.  It is yours and you should protect what is yours."  Hysaeda smiled, but he meant what he said.

There was some chatter behind him and he looked around, the talk was sounded eager, frightened even, and went on and on about a nest of sandworms that appeared a few miles nearby, or something that looked like sandworms.  Hysaeda looked up at Issen with a peculiar grin on his face.  "Anytime, I've ever traveled to the desert, I've never seen a sandworm.  I think maybe I'll take this opportunity to get up close and personal with one.  Just the thought is thrilling, exciting.  C'mon it'll be an adventure!"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Winters-Feather

Issen felt tense as she held the blade in her hand. It was sheathed, but she didn't much like the feel of it. She thankfully practically shoved it away in her bag (but had tried to be gentle because it had been a gift from Hysaeda) and quickly placed her bag over her shoulder, again. The woman gave a solemn, quiet nod at his reply about her jewelry.  On one hand, she was pleased and relieved she was allowed to keep them, but on the other, she was still concerned on how she could be helpful. Still, the elf-man's words rang true to her, and she knew she had to obey him.

Suddenly, her companion seemed distracted by a couple of people talking excitedly among themselves. They were talking in Common, so she could not catch a word of what they were saying. Issen mused it must have been something important or exciting, for they talked with wild gestures and with bright glints in their faces. She practically held her breath as Hysaeda spoke.
"Sandworms?" she thought, quizzically, the word lost on her.
The woman actually knew the subject matter, for she had seen some before, passing by like waves far, far away from her tomb. Still, she had known them by a different name. The creatures had fascinated her, though her fantasies of taking a ride on them and exploring the dunes was limited ,for they were hideous creatures.  

So Issen ignorantly nodded at his suggestion. It did sound thrilling, to go up close to such a creature as a ..sandworm.
"All right, then," she said.

Lion

Hysaeda had never seen a sandworm either, though he'd heard of them, in anecdotes and stories in his travels.  But to see one up close, now that would be a sight he'd see.  And if he died in the process, well, at least he died doing something that he'd never done before.  And there was excitement enough in that.  Hysaeda was eager and excited to get to the site of the sandworms.  Or so he assumed it was.  It was also possible that it was just another creature entirely.  And the mystery was enough to draw him in like a curious child.

It was his turn to grab Issen's hand and drag her off toward the city gates, he didn't even want to stay and rest.  They'd have enough of that when the blood of sandworms was on his hands...if the worms didn't eat him first that was.  But what was the big deal really?  He'd killed a basilisk in the Draconi Forest once.  What was the difference?  Besides there just being more sand this time.

"Creatures," he explained as he walked toward the gate, filled waterskins on his shoulders.  "That dwell in the sands.  I hear they're huge.  As big as mountains....maybe bigger.  I've killed basilisks...I wonder if this is just as simple.  And when I kill one, I'll make you a necklace out of it's teeth.  At least I think they have teeth.  You've been here a long time.  Have you ever seen a sandworm?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Winters-Feather

Issen found her hand grabbed in excitement and let out a cry of alarm as Hyseada began to lead her to the city gates. He wanted to leave now? She was immensely disappointed; there was so much to do and see here, after all!  So much to do; it had been so long. Why were they leaving now? As they passed by stalls, Issen eyed them with fierce hunger and a glint of sorrow.
Maybe we'll come back, she thought, trying to cheer herself up.

The woman tried her best to keep up and listen at the same time. He was well informed, though the part about basilisks  captivated her. He had killed basilisks? More than one? Whatever sort of adventure was he on? She had so many questions! However, she cringed at the thought of having a necklace made out of teeth.
"I...don't want that," she whispered.
Was it customary for elves to make things out of teeth? It sounded  a little barbaric.
And why did he want to kill one? They were dangerous creatures not meant to be toyed with unless absolutely necessary.

Issen was starting to feel nervous, developing doubts about her new companion. He was rather courteous and brave but...
Perhaps this is what men do, she thought, a bit uncertain.
After all, in stories, heroes often do..This sort of...thing.
She was starting to wonder if the sand worms he spoke of matched the creatures she had seen.
"I...don't know," she replied, holding tightly to her thin veil.
"I've seen creatures huge, worm like creatures that funnel their way through the dunes...Never been up close to them. They're quite ugly, though they move quick and gracefully. Are these your sandworms? I've forgotten my time's name for them. "

Lion

Hysaeda paused and frowned despite his former excitement.  She seemed sad a little and despite her whispered tone, his sensitive ears heard her and flicked at the tone she used.  He turned to her, softening his features before looking down.  She didn't want it.  Well, he couldn't blame her it.  It wasn't like everyday that somebody offered to make you something out of teeth.  Back home, or what now remained of home, such jewelry was prized.  It showed bravery and to receive a gift from someone who'd performed the feat dangerous enough to make it was considered a sign of affection.  He didn't know Issen for as long as he'd liked and she surely was strange to him, but he took her kindness to heart and wanted to show her a gift of appreciation, something more than new clothes.

"Perhaps you'll like it once I make it for you.  I'll make it nice.  And ...if you really don't want it, you can sell it anyway," he murmured, smiling and nodding to her.  He continued to walk away from the oasis of a city, determined to return when their task was done.

"Yes, I think those are the ones," he replied to her, finding the words she used almost too difficult to decipher and recalled what he could to understand what she meant.  "They're large, I think.  I've never actually seen one.  But I've heard stories.  They're very dangerous, and they can eat anything they come across.  I wonder if they could eat a dragon..."  Hysaeda took a moment and blushed in his ramblings and wiped his face, hoping she wouldn't see.   "I don't talk this much, ever...really.  I'm sorry.  I'm just...I'm excited to see something new.   And even though we only just met, I think I am glad I am sharing it with you....my friend."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Winters-Feather

Issen frowned in objection to Hyseada's suggestion.
"I wouldn't sell anything you made for me," she argued,  a little confused. Hyseada seemed kind of sad...Had what she said hurt his feelings? It was true she wasn't fond of the image of a necklace laced with teeth, but if he went through the trouble of making one, the woman was determined to keep it. However, she put thoughts of teeth and presents out of her head as she listened to his description of the so called sand worms.
Some of the phrases were hard to translate from new to old speech, but she understood most of it.  Issen had never seen them eat anything other than sand in the vast desert. However, that didn't mean that was all they ate;  she did  witness one chase a herd of camels, before. At least, she think she did. Memories had a way of blurring with reality...

It took a moment for Issen to decipher the word 'friend', but when she did, she smiled.
"Yes; it's alright," she replied as they exited the city and stepped into the sea of sand once more, "Let's go find your sandworm."
But there was one problem: where did you find one, anyway? They were in the near by desert, it was true, but she didn't know where they lived. Issen had always assumed that they traveled the desert in packs. As they trudged their way through the dunes, it seemed almost impossible to the woman. However, a faint, low groan could be heard in the distance, followed by another. Issen kept he eyes pasted on the dunes by the horizon. Sure enough, two sandworms bolted out of the sand and then back in again in  graceful arcs. They tunneled a bit underneath the dune they were in before emerging into the sun light again. The woman didn't say anything; instead, she watched, both captivated in excitement and fear. They were going to hunt down one of those?
"Well?" she asked Hyseada, nervously.
Issen didn't really like the prospect of doing this. She didn't understand the purpose of it , but, again, she reassured herself of their purpose.
Maybe I ought to bring out my new  knife, just in case, she thought. The woman didn't really want to do the hunting, but she would do all she could to help ensure the safety of both  her new friend and herself.

Lion

Hysaeda only nodded toward the horizon and tried to smile.  A smile that quickly faded when he saw the sandworms for himself up in the distance.  He paused and was silent for a long while, not even registering that Issen had said anything.  His breath caught in his throat and he waited for his body to finally react to the returning heat of the sun  and blinked when a droplet of sweat beaded down into his eyes.   "Those...those are sandworms huh?" he asked rhetorically, hoping she didn't hear much of the trepidation in his voice but it was unmistakable and stupid to deny it any longer.  He was surprised to find they were so big.  This was going to be nothing like slaying a basilisk at all.  And with the sun as high as it was, there was no doubt that that was going to be another factor that would only add to the odds against him.

He looked over at Issen with great worry in his eyes.   "Maybe...um, maybe you should stay here," he suggested.  She certainly didn't look like much of a fighter and he wondered if she would only slow him down, or worse yet, get eaten herself.  He looked out again at the graceful way the sandworms danced in the sand.  They moved so quickly, so deftly.  He didn't know if he could kill such a thing.  But he wanted an adventure, now he was going to get one.

He began to march out toward them, unknowing if Issen followed or stayed behind.  He prayed to Umbra, prayed to his dead god that would grant him courage and strength in the face of the swirling jaws of death before him.  Hysaeda didn't know why he was going to do this.  Was there any sense in slaying these creatures other than to rid a bunch of traveling caravaners as a nuisance to the sands?  And not only that, there were two of them.  Could he possibly face both of them at once?  He didn't know.  He didn't know why he was in the desert.  He didn't know why his home was destroyed.  He didn't know why he was going to kill something that only wanted to live like everything else.  He only knew that he had to.  For whatever reasons his god set before him, he had to.

Hysaeda was already out in the desert beyond by the time he came face to face with the first one.  It was larger than large, it was massive, collosal, the most gargantuan thing he'd ever seen in his life.  It was easily three or four basilisks in one and he stared up at the great worm as it paused in the sand, sensing a disturbance nearby.  Hysaeda gazed up at it, taking it all in and finally pulled out his sword when the great worm opened it's swirling jaws  of teeth, it's open beak plunging down on him in that moment, swallowing him hole for he was so small.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Winters-Feather

"Yes, they are, " replied Issen, ignorant to his fear. "They are quite gigantic."
There was a tint of fear in her voice, but now as they were so close,  she was overcome with excitement. The woman couldn't help herself;  her mind and imagination were racing to the point where the challenge was starting to present itself to be fantastical and bold slowly, but surely.  Did Hyseada really wanted to battle these creatures?
If he can be that brave, then...
"I'll go with you," she said with fierce determination.
With a little clumsiness, she reached for the sheathed knife in her bag.
She kept it that way, clamped firmly in her hand as she practically marched after her companion, stopping only twenty feet behind him.

The woman watched as he stood, sword in hand, facing the monster. She figured basilisks were massive, probably just as big as these were, right? So..he would be fine, right? She shuddered as the sand worm opened its rows of teeth. Suddenly, any desire she had for wanting to ride one EVER was gone.
"Hyseada..." she whined, her right hand holding the hilt of the dagger, ready to draw it out. However, he probably didn't hear her as he was swallowed whole.

Issen's body froze as her eyes widened. She couldn't scream, she couldn't speak. All she could do was gap at the monster in front of her who had swallowed her companion, shattering almost every image, every ideology in her head. It was supposed to be a daring adventure, and...
He was supposed to win.
No...He wasn't lost yet. She could still feel that bond between them, there. He couldn't leave her, not just yet! Not again; she didn't want to be alone, not like this...
Please don't be dead.
The woman took in a deep breath.
"I knew you can do it! Hyseada!" she bellowed, allowing her hopes to rise.
It was at this point that the sand worm was interested in her and let out a loud screech.
"Oh, no," she said, and squeled as she barely ducked out of the way as the sand worm came down for her, too.

Lion

Who knew death could feel so slimy?  Who knew death could be so damned dark too!  Once Hysaeda got swallowed by the gigantic sandworm, he thought it was over, thought this was the end, that he was finally finished to join Umbra in the spirit world.  If he'd been honorable enough, he would fight by his side.  But something in his gut told him he would only be hounded by the creatures and demons that prowled the dark shades of the Spirit World.  No, no....not like that.  Hysaeda sucked in breath sharply as he slipped down into the cold gullet of the worm that thrust through the sands.

He could not die like that, not like this.  Not like fodder for these beasts to sate their hunger on.  Something burned inside the apprentice and it was a fire he hadn't felt before.  Only tasted when he killed Radek, the bane of his life since he'd been born.  And now he was surrounded by a will to survive that surged through him and he took the blade in his hands and thrust it against the sides within the sandworm.  From the outside, he doubted it would have been so easy to tear through the hide of the creature but they were soft within and he cut again as he heard the shrill cry of the worm as it began to writhe within.  He slashed repetitively and stabbed barbarically, cutting away at the insides that held him and a greenish slime that he took for blood coated him as he cut his way through the animal that had attempted to digest him.  The sandworm roared whatever scream it could, a cry that shook the heavens and the dunes that had been its home.

Hysaeda pulled the blade out and held it with both hands, the blade toward the wounds and, with all the strength he could muster, he stabbed upward and cried out as he arced the blade downward, tearing through the worm in one clean swipe, opening up the worm at last.  He was nearly exhausted and he stepped outside the dying worm in the gore his attacks had made, stepped out in a sweating, slimy heap.  But at least he was a live.  He fell to his knees immediately, burrowing his arms in the hot sand.  Wait, where was Issen!?   "Issen!"  he cried out, eyes scanning around him searching for her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Winters-Feather

The sand worm missed, but barely. Issen had feel to her knees, tripping over her dress. It growled and erected itself again, ready to attack, when all of a sudden, it started to shriek. It did so loudly, too, in what seemed to be pain.
Hyseada, Issen thought, a bit relieved as she rose to her feet and started to run away from the creature, least she was crushed under its' weight. However, the sand underneath her feet began to quake, causing her to fall once more.
It's friend, the woman realized as she unsheathed her dagger.

The sandworm rose from the ground, as sudden as a geyser. Poor Issen could only cling to a segment near its head for her dear life as it arched into the air and screeched as its' friend did, alarmed. The sandworm's companion was dying, and it didn't understand why.  Issen would have otherwise been aware, if not sympathetic of her stead's plight had she not been so caught up in the moment; so her fantasy  to ride one had came true, some what. Though her situation was dire and Hyseada's life was in danger, she couldn't help but to find this one moment fun. But it was just for one moment, for the creature dove for the sand again. With a yell, Issen jumped off before she could be dragged under,  herself.
If I was to truly ride one of those, I'd never be able to survive, she realized, disappointed.

However, the creature wasn't gone completely yet, for her body shook and began to get buried in sand as its' body violently tore through the desert, scared off. Issen couldn't move properly, so she covered her face with her hands, careful not to stab herself with the dagger, and shut her eyes. She only opened them again when the earth beneath her was still and  she could hear the violent ripping of flesh and the watched as the sandworm bleed its' guts out. Issen scrambled to her feet as it came crashing down, a few  yards away from her. When it was perfectly still, she rushed by the dead beast's side, searching for her triumphant companion. Again, she was sure he wasn't dead, but she was now starting to wonder if he had been injured by the deed, or even poisoned. There were tales of animals with poisonous blood, right?

She shuddered at the stench of the sandworm, suddenly feeling quite ill. The woman touched its' exterior, curiously ; it was hard, though it was clear its' insides look squishy. It oozed of slime. Issen slowly moved towards the face, to get a better look, when she heard Hyseada calling for her. A bright smile spread across her face as she peeked her head towards the other side of the creator; there he was, on his knees. She sheathed her dagger and flew to his side.
"Are you alright?" she asked as she removed her veil and used it to start  cleaning him up.  He looked fine, thank goodness.

Lion

Hysaeda's mind was a blur, everything had happened so damned fast, that he couldn't even be sure that the person that had done it all had been him.  His mind was in another place, another plane even if that was possible.  But for a moment he felt like was invincible, immortal even.  Though his elven blood would allow him to live well into his years if he took care of himself, he'd never felt so alive before and the thrill of living.

Hysaeda looked up at Issen when she cleaned his face and his eyes were wide and wild.  Before he knew it, he threw himself at her and pressed his mouth hard against hers in a deep kiss.  After a long moment he pulled away and continued to stare at her.  "I'm ALIVE!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Winters-Feather

Issen gasped as she observed Hyseada's bright red eyes. She was captivated by the light of them, by how energetic and wild they were. The woman couldn't help but to smile along with him. Issen was about to say something about riding the sand worms as she continued to clean her companion when, all off a sudden, the elf lunged at her. The two fell into the sand sideways, their lips locked.  Issen's cry of alarm was muffled by his lips against hers. He was kissing her. Hyseada! This was...This was...Oh.

Blissfully caught up in the romantic moment, Issen wrapped her arms around the elf  as she felt something through her that she never had for many, many years. It was delightful, odd, and scary, all rolled into one but she didn't want to let this moment go. Was it love? Issen gave a kind, shocked smile as the elf proclaimed that he was alive.
"Yes," she replied lamely as she felt her face flush. "You...you are. I knew you would be."
She bowed her head, puzzled.

The woman knew she wasn't fully alive, not in the way that he was. In fact, she wanted to pass on. But then, all of a sudden, the sand worms, and this...She was learning how to be alive, again, and it hit her hard in the chest. Besides, that was all that was, right? The kiss. Issen got back up and started to brush the sand off of her skirt, hair, and body. She dropped the veil to the ground as  she walked towards the defeated sand worms mouth.
"Let's..get some teeth," she boldly suggested, "Then we should head back to the city. You need a bath!"

Lion

Hysaeda's whole body was filled with wild lightning and he still stared at Issen even though she stood up.  His heart was racing in his chest and his lips still burned from the kiss.  It was a good kiss and it was so unlike his reclusive self to ever kiss another like he kissed her and he couldn't help but admit that he liked it.  Loved it even.

He didn't even hear what she said about the teeth.  Why did he kill this thing in the first place?  Oh who cared!  Hysaeda stood up and watched her walk around toward the mouth.  "....YOU'RE ALIVE TOO!"  And with that he dashed toward her, with all the energy in his body and lunged at her, tackling her to the ground before he kissed her longer and harder than before, wrapping his arms around her and rolling in the sand.

Oh he didn't want the thrill to end, to feel beyond the mortal coil, to go above and beyond what life expected and if he didn't know any better he would have wanted to take her then and there.  He was possessed and he only kissed her more fervently.  For once, in the first time in his life, Hysaeda felt like a god.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Winters-Feather

"I am!?" asked a surprised and confused Issen as Hyseada lunched towards her again. This time, as they fell to the ground, her knack sack got knocked off of her shoulder as they rolled in the sand. His energy and excitement merged with hers and she responded with passion just as strong. Issen clung to whatever she could hold onto Hyseada- his hair, his arms, his slime covered vest. Oh, it was true he reeked and the sand was kind of itchy and sometimes they were in really awkward positions. Furthermore, they only had just met that day... but the ever romantic Issen was so full of happiness that she couldn't care less.

Tears welded up on her eyes as she lightly kissed him again on the lips. She couldn't help it; she was so overwhelmed and pained, though the woman couldn't fully understand all her reasons. All Issen knew was that she felt so happy...and yet a part of her was enveloped in sorrow.  Despite the messy sand worm blood that now covered the both of them,  Issen hugged her companion, who was now underneath her, tightly.
"N-no, really," she stuttered, "We...we really ought to."

Lion

Hysaeda felt himself draining now of the fire that drove him before.  He slowly realized now that yes he was filthy and smelled of sweat, blood, and sand, and his lips were burning with a fire he'd almost forgotten that he laughed and laughed loudly when she responded.  She was right, oh by Umbra, she was right.  Hysaeda nodded and hugged her back tightly, just happy to be alive and that he'd rejoiced in it with someone he cared about, even if it was so fleeting.  Hysaed leaned back in the sand and looked up at the sky that was quickly fading into darkness.

"Yes.  Yes!  Let's get the goddamned teeth and head back to the city.  Oh, we'll just pay for the room with the teeth!  These Essyrnians are traders!  They'll take anything they think they can make a gold coin on!  Oh, get up Issen and help me pull these teeth out.  That's right, there you go, tug!  TUUUUUUUG!"  Hysaeda yanked out three teeth with all the remaining strength he had.  They were large, sharp teeth, about the size of his head and there must have been a million of them, all put in rows and columns that could grind anything big enough.

It didn't even occur to him then that he could have been grinded up just the same.  He just pulled out another three before he set them all in his belt.  "There, that should be enough for now.  Let's just get back to the city.  I'm exhausted!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Winters-Feather

"Mmm," Issen groaned in agreement as Hyseada energetically got up to his feet. She didn't want to let go, not really, but she did as she was told. Issen found it pleasant, listening to him laugh; it was nice having someone to laugh with. The woman watched as Hyseada instructed her on how to remove the teeth. He was talking fast enough that she didn't really catch everything he ways saying, but she giggled at it, anyway. Issen pondered on the mouth and boldly reached for one of the bottom ones. She gave it a good yank,  but it was stuck firmly in place.
How did he rip out three? the woman wondered as she planted her feet firmly into the sand and tugged as hard as she could. With a wild cry, she pulled a tooth out with enough force to send her back tumbling. a little. She hissed and dropped the thing, as if it were hot, for she poked herself; those things were sharp! Leaving the tooth where it was, the woman repeated the process for a second, and then third time when her companion declared that they had enough.

Issen gave a delighted nod, satisfied at their work. She still found what they had done rather barbaric, but she didn't regret a moment of it. That didn't make it alright, but as the woman ran off ways to fetch her discarded knack sack before returning to  collect the teeth she had won, she felt...proud. Humming a nonsensical melody to herself, the woman  walked back to the city with her companion by her side.

They arrived as the sun was going down. Again, Issen shuddered at how loud it was, though she tried not to drop the teeth to cover her ears. The woman didn't want to put the things in her bag, where she kept possessions, including her new clothes, in. She was slowly getting used to the sound of the city, she realized, as the woman walked into the city. Issen's eyes tried to take in every stand, every item, and every person she could.
It looks beautiful in gold, she thought; the sun set only made the place all the more spectacular.  
The woman knew that they needed a place to stay, but it suddenly occurred to her that she did not know where the inns or baths were. Did they look the same as they did in the past? She turned towards Hyseada, hugging the teeth closer to her body. She nodded her head towards the streets where buildings in which shop owners ran their business and lived as well as bars were lined up.
"Do we go there?" she asked.

Lion

When they returned to the city, Hysaeda was well and thoroughly over his 'god' status he'd experienced only moments ago.  If anything he was more tired than he thought he would be.  He was kind of in shock, really, after the whole endeavor of killing that sandworm.  The whole shock of it came to him all at once and he said nothing the entire walk back to the city.  By the time they made it through the gates, Hysaeda only looked at her as he registered that she asked a question.

He looked to where she pointed and saw the word Inn scrawled in Common over a building across from the vendors where they bought their stuff.  "Yes, let's go there," he nodded and led the way.  The establishment was quaint and homely, and the clerk at the desk was a plump woman with a sweet look to her despite all the paint to her face.  She made a face when Hysaeda approached, looking to rent a room.  At first he knew she was going to be difficult, but after he presented a sandworm tooth to her, her jaw dropped and eyes glowed and gave them a key to one of the better rooms upstairs.

"And where are your baths?" he said.

"Down the hall, dear."  Hysaeda nodded and headed up to the room first, to put all his things away.  It was a large room, comfortable with all the furnishings and with two beds instead of just one.  He took the bed on the right, setting his things down, unsheathing his sword as well and looking at Issen.  "I guess now I'll take that bath, you thought I so desperately needed," he murmured with a grin and a laugh.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Winters-Feather

Issen followed Hyseada into the inn quietly, her eyes taking in as much as they could. She especially stared at the inn keeper (at least, she thought that woman was the inn keeper). The woman found her to be quite beautiful, if not interesting. Issen wondered what the blotches of color on her face were from, and was amused by her shift of expressions from kind, to questioning, to quite enchanted at the presentation of the tooth.
"Thank you!" Issen exclaimed, cheerfully, before closely following Hyseada to their quarters. The clerk gave Issen a bewildered look, though the woman had missed it.

Issen gasped at the room. It looked cozy and warm, so unlike the tomb. She hadn't have slept in a real bed in forever. With something close to a squeal, she rushed towards the bed to the left, dropped her things carefully on it  before slowly sitting down on it herself. Overjoyed, Issen bounced a little on it; it was so soft! She laid down, and spread her arms out as she laughed, a little embarrassed at Hyseada's comment.
"I need one, too," she replied, not moving, "Where are they?"
The woman was a bit sad; she wanted to go and discover what the baths were like, but this bed was so divine.
With a sigh, Issen turned towards her bag and carefully removed her new clothes before  practically skipping towards Hyseada's side, again.

Lion

Hysaeda shook his head at her.  "They just down the hall, on ground level probably.  She said something about the building being built under a spring, so it'll be fresh.  C'mon follow me."

Hysaeda led her down the hallway where the baths were indicated.  He didn't know if it was one large room, or many smaller baths where they could take one individually.  He wandered into the room and just as he'd feared it was but a single pool.  "I hope they clean the water out regularly," Hysaeda remarked as he wandered in the room.  

"Um...shall we take turns?  I'll take the other side of the pool and you take this one.  Or do you want to be alone?  I'll gladly go back in the room.  You deserve your privacy," Hysaeda said quickly.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn