Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Anger of the Sea

Started by Goldie, June 07, 2005, 11:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

Zarak couldn't help but have his eyebrows contract slightly when Kiyan spoke about being "unfaithful when married".  It seemed to him that the boy didn't exactly know what sex meant to the world....it wasn't necessarily a sacred act to any extent, but if you loved someone you certainly wouldn't just go about and sleep with every girl you could lay your hands on!

"Hmm...well actu'lly...." how was he going to word this without sounding hypocritical?  It was like a double standard actually...where guys would fool around and be fine, but girls....hmmm...and it wasn't as if he was particuarly chaste himself...."If ye love some'un, ye wouldn' 'ave t'go and "do tha'" wit jus' any'un.....When ye dedicate yerself to one person....ye gotta stay tha' way.  All eyes jus' fer 'er, but until then, feel free t'try out diff'rent things."  wow....that really didn't make much sense....but perhaps he'd gotten the right vibe across?  That...perhaps it was sacred when doing it with someone you love because you wouldn't have any thoughts of going out and sleeping with someone else because your woman would always fill that desire.....

"I don' know 'ow good I described it t'ye....seein' tha' I've never been in love afore...but from talkin' t'me shipmates who find 'emselves in tha' situation."  It was rare but it did happen and the poor fools would swoon over their work stations, swearing to the sea god that he could see her face in the waves smiling at him.  Of course...most of the times the lady didn't feel the same way to the pirate...in fact it usually ended in scorn and a one sided love...

but that wasn't the point.

"An' don' worry 'bout it." he replied, scratching his head to try and get out the sand that was still stuck in the thick curls that were slowly rebelling against everything that had been weighing them down.  "It's not ev'ry day tha' I get th'chance t'talk t'some'un all friendly like....it's nice."

He sighed inwardly, unable to help the feeling that after he reveiled his own secrets that Kiyan would no longer be that generous with his past.  But...perhaps he'd be pleastanly surprised, eh?

"Now, I'm guessin' tha' ye are waitin' t'ear all th'great stories o'my past." he winked, putting on the playful boyish facade that had hidden his nerves many times before.  Well...he might as well start in the beginning then.

"Firs' off....I really do like mussles"  he grinned sheepishly, "I jus' never seen a man wearin' a skirt afore I saw ye...it was a bit diff'rent."  Ok..so not exactly the beginning but hey....it was at least breaking the ice.....and after all, it was the only lie he had told the kid, the other stuff was just hidden from him in case the truth would scare him away.  But after hearing his question about what are pirates, Zarak felt quite a bit more confident that he wouldn't be on his way to the nearest noose for his pillaging crimes....

"An' I guess th' second'll 'ave t'be this."  Leaning around the fire, he held out his wrist to Kiyan could see it, the redish silver "P" clearly visible in the sunlight.  Maybe he wouldn't have any idea what it was...but maybe he was smart enough to link two and two together.  Zarak's own questions about his knowledge on pirates, along with his two sided explaination of what they were like.  And if he didn't realize what the P meant, he'd probably be bright enough to see the brand as a type of criminal mark...that Zarak had been caught before and escaped with just a warning.

Heh...warnings never worked, the call of gold and adventure would always be too strong in a real pirates mind.  Although Zarak had learned when to be gold hungry, and when to care about his life.  Unfortunately the captain had fallen asleep during that lesson leaving him and the rest of his crew swallowed by the mercilless depths of the ocean, however far out to sea they had been.

And frankly...Zarak was still amazed that he was alive....

Rhindeer

Kiyan blinked a few times at Zarak's explanation...and then suddenly laughed when he realized how some of what he'd last said might have been vague. "Oh! No! No, you definitely have to stick with one person once you find that person! I...I wasn't suggesting cheating on someone you're dedicated to!" he said quickly with a wince. "What I meant was being married to someone isn't going to make someone more or less dedicated to a person, that already has to be there.  And forcing people to get married...I don't see how that could solve anything...it'd probably make it worse. That's why, I don't know...marriage seems kind of funny to me, I guess."

But even after that, and especially after Zarak's explanation, the rest of what Zarak said was infinitely confusing and seemed to go against everything else.

"Try...out...?" Kiyan repeated slowly, his eyebrows climbing. What...what did that mean? Try out women? But...but what about dedication? Oh man, if any of the elders heard Zarak now, they'd have a fit! And while Kiyan knew he hadn't been in love with Maricha, though he had really liked herâ€"and might have possibly come to love her, if certain things hadn't happenedâ€"well...he couldn't see doing that with someone you didn't at least like a lot, if not love. But, then again...even if he didn't agree with everything he'd been taught, especially after experiencing such things for himself, there were some things that did run deep. But maybe not everyone everywhere else thought that way? But...ack, he didn't get it. It didn't seem compatable with everything else that was said.

He gave a nervous laugh, still sifting his fingers absently through the sand. "Ah...heh...my tribe...well, with them, you do any 'trying out' and they find out, you'll find yourself married off to the girl you were 'trying out' with. I'm sure that threat doesn't stop everyone...erm...I'm a prime example...but it happens. Only reason I wasn't married to Maricha was she wasn't from our tribe, and she was already taken..." he said with a grimace and slight blush. It was still awkward to actually talk about it, and Zarak was certainly direct! Well, at least, more direct than anyone from his tribe.

"But...ah...this 'trying out' thing...I don't know if I could do that. There'd have to be something there. I don't know if I loved Maricha, but I really liked her, and I wouldn't have even thought of being with other people while with her, even if we hadn't gotten to the point of real dedication, so to speak..." That just seemed wrong. Even if his tribe wasn't the way it was, it still didn't seem right. Or maybe he was missing what Zarak was saying completely.

Agh, this was confusing!

In any case, he was glad of the subject change.

And, as promised, just as he'd spilled his secrets, Zarak was about to share some of his.

And the first one was...

Something Kiyan wouldn't have expected.

For a few seconds, Kiyan just stared at Zarak. And then the laughter kicked in as the hilarity of it all registered, as he thought back and remembered...remembered... "So that's why you kept coughing! You were trying not to laugh, weren't you? And here I thought you must be ill...and wondered how your sea-faring people survived so long," he admitted, scratching the back of his head and chuckling still. "Never seen a man in a skirt?" he asked incredulously. "Heh, well, if you came to our village, you'd be in for quite a shock. Everyone wears them, except hunters on hunts, then they wear what you do. Er, did. No one wears them where you come from? They all wear as many layers as you? The smaller ones?" he asked before he could help it, grinning. Well, it seemed they were equal there, then. Zarak found his skirt amusing, and Kiyan found those smaller clothing articles amusing, as well.

Well, in any case, that ice-breaker sure explained why he had looked so awkward wearing just that...skirt-like...blanket. Oh man...that was great!

He was still smirking when Zarak held his wrist out to him for confession number two, and Kiyan scooted closer to better see, then blinked. "P"? Kiyan recognized that kind of mark. Not the mark itself, but he knew what made it, and recognized it as an old burn wound. It was obviously not an accident it was there, and it looked like it had probably been highly painful, but "P"? He squinted slightly, searching his brain for anything significant to tie in with the letter. Erm...was he supposed to know what itâ€"?

Wait a minute. What...what had Zarak been asking him about when they'd first really started talking, a subject he'd seemed really interested in, which started with a "P"...

"...Pirate...?" he asked very slowly, almost cautiously, as he glanced back up at Zarak. "Ah...that what it means? You...got caught by one? Or...you are one...?" Maybe he was way off. But it was the only "P" word he could think of that would be remotely relevant, though he still didn't want to make any assumptions or jump to any conclusions.

Suddenly realizing how he must have sounded, he added quickly, shoving away his shock to make room for a more upbeat tone, "Don't worry! I won't tell anyone, even if there was someone to tell, even if you are or were one or whatever! I mean, I promised not to...and I trust you." Oh man. There it was. Zarak had been dead on when he'd said he was far too trusting, and it was true. But he had no reason not to trust Zarak... "I mean, if you weren't trustworthy...you wouldn't be telling me anything. And you're too nice, anyway," he added with a small smile. Gods, but wasn't that the truth; he hadn't known anyone like him before. "If you were dangerous, you could have done harm a long time ago."

Maybe it was because he didn't know much about pirates, save what Zarak had told him, but...even if Zarak was one, he couldn't see how that would change anything. He'd meant it when he'd said there was good and bad in everyone, and, well...wasn't it more important who someone was rather than what they were? And the man was nice, someone Kiyan had come to see as a friend. And hadn't he been mortified that Zarak would think differently of him once he spilled out his secrets? Well, Zarak probably felt the same.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

Zarak's own hearty laugh filled the air as Kiyan spoke about how he had also been a bit alarmed at all the different layers that the poor shipwrecked soul had worn!  It was ironic that they both felt the same way and could easily get a good laugh out of that simple oddity they both had seen.

"Yeah, I'm sure tha' if all yer people wear skirts tha' my clothes did look a bit diff'rent!  But I dunno...maybe I can get use t'wearin' 'em...lookin' all pretty like..." he couldn't help but stiffle another cough at the thought.  After his clothes were dried he was running back to them with his tail between his legs.  He felt so....vulnurable?  Is that it?  He felt vulnurable walking around in womens garb....and it made him wonder how so many of them did that on a daily basis.  Certainly gave him a certain respect for them.

But after the laughter, he couldn't help the fear that slowly crept up his spin as Kiyan worked out what he was showing him.  Zarak didn't know whether the hesitation was fear...indecision on what he could do...or just figuring things out....he desperately hoped for the latter, unwilling to give up the one person he had been able to talk to normally in ages....even the crew members had been a bit stiff around him, mostly because of his higher rank.  But Kiyan....he was such a trusting guy...pure....it was different being able to talk to someone like him, and actually be accepted!  There was certainly a shock!

Well, perhaps he wouldn't have talked to him had he known the truth...

Zarak breathed a sigh a relief when his young friend quickly added that his secret was safe.  Well that was good!  Now he didn't have to worry constantly about looking behind him for someone looking to hang a noose around his neck!

"I am a pirate." he replied to Kiyan's stuttering unasked questions, "Th'brand was given t'me when I was caugh' abou'...4 years ago.  My ship was caugh' by th'patrolin' ships in th'arbor.  Mos' o'th'men got away...bu' me'an a few weren' fast anough.  We spen' time in th'prison fer a good month I'm sure...but it was so 'orrible down there tha' it coulda been on'y a week an' it woulda felt like a month.  Those o'us who answered questions were let go wit on'y a brand an' a warnin' not t'continue bein' all pirate-like.  I answered their questions..." he grinned at the memory, his eyes sparkling mischieviously, "But it wasn' until a few weeks later tha' they realized th' information wasn' true."  he chuckled to himself before looking back up at Kiyan.

"I actu'lly thought 'bout not goin' back...I 'ad enough to 'ate pirates over...but it 'ad become my life....I couldn' just stop....th'sea was my land, my 'ome." he looked out at the cresting waves, longing pulling at his heart as he wondered just how long it would take him to find another boat....or worse yet, if he even wanted to find another boat.  The storm had done enough to shake his nerves completely...

Rhindeer

Pretty-like? Skirts? Kiyan couldn't help but feel a bit confused about that comment, but he decided he'd ask later. There were more important things to talk about now.

Maybe he was being naive, but pirates stole stuff, Zarak had said, and if he were to suddenly look at Zarak differently for that, he'd be a hypocrit himself! He'd stolen things himself these past few days, though he hadn't wanted to. But he had to. He wasn't proud of any of it, but it certainly did give a different perspective. Like anyone, he'd been taught it was wrong, and that those who did it were bad, but...now he'd learned first hand that sometimes you just had no choice. Or that the only other choice you did have was far worse than the option of committing a crime.

Well, maybe there was still another option Kiyan could have taken. He could have eaten his food raw, he supposed. Figured out a way to light a fire without a flint. Made a trip to the spring each time he was thirsty. But all of those were inconvenient, and even dangerous. People got horribly ill from eating uncooked fish sometimes, and if he got sick out here alone, he'd dehydrate in no time.

Zarak probably had his reasons. And whatever those were, Kiyan wasn't going to suddenly act different around him just because he had a history! Maybe that was foolish. Kind and open or not, he still didn't know very much about the man he'd rescued, and it could turn out that he was really a killer or something. Then again, if he was, he wouldn't have been giving him advice and confiding in him. And hell, he thought he'd even heard Zarak breathe a sigh of relief after he'd told him his secret was safe. A violent man wouldn't need to feel relief over something like that, wouldn't have to rely on someone to keep a heavy secret. A violent man could simply snap the neck of anyone who didn't agree, and out here all alone, no one would know the difference.

Erk...why was he even thinking about that? Not a good thought. Not that he thought it of Zarak.

He didn't. He didn't have a reason to. And, quite frankly, he didn't want a reason to. He liked him too much! Pirate or not, even though he still didn't know the full implications of the word. All he knew was that, like Zarak had said earlier, just like anyone there was the good that had nowhere else to go, and the bad. Zarak was definitely the good. And Kiyan could relate. Well, with some things.

"Prison?" Kiyan repeated the unfamiliar word, brow furrowing a little in confusion as he listened to Zarak. Down there...where was there? But he wasn't as interested in that as he was about something Zarak had left unspoken. "What happened to the other people? The ones that didn't answer?" he asked quietly. This prison, from the way Zarak described it, even vaguely, didn't sound pleasant, especially if it was a punishment...

The burn also confused him a bit. He knew now what it meantâ€"it was another punishment, a mark of shame it seemedâ€"but why? Kiyan never could understand using that as a means to punish. If people were expected to stop doing something, then why would they be permanently marked at something? It seemed to him that being singled out like that would only make returning to a normal life more difficult. If Kiyan had been from where Zarak was and knew ahead of time what a pirate was and what that mark meant, and he had seen it, wouldn't he have been inclined to judge him and dislike him like so many of Zarak's people did?

It was a disturbing thought. Here Zarak was, to him, a great person, and if he had been like Zarak's people, he would have probably never given him a chance...

"I know what you mean about the sea...it's my home, too, and I could never leave it. Heh, it's said my people have salt in their blood from being near it so long. You probably do too, if you feel so strongly about it. But...Zarak...didn't pirates attack your ship when you were young?" he asked, then quickly held up his hands. "You don't have to answer! Just curious. I don't know if another tribe attacked mine that it would be easy for me to accept them. But...I don't know much about pirates. I just know about you," he told him with a reassuring smile.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

Did pirates attack his ship when he was young...

Well there would be the easy answer, the one that would make most sense, and then there'd be the truth.  His parents had raised him on the notion that pirates were evil men, that their kind didn't deserve the light of day.  After the attack he believed that all of those stories were true...the killings....murder, rape, pillaging....that's what had happened to his ship...his safe haven as they had sped toward a new home.

Why had he taken to them?  To people who had murdered his family along with the hopes and dreams of a ten year old boy.  He had been rebellious...for nearly a year he had fought ever step of the way, spitting in their food whenever he could, rubbing salt in every wound he could find, mentally and physically. And even with each punishment for his actions, those men on that ship had continued to keep him....convinced that he would soon become one of them, that his cabin boy days would soon turn into pirate in training.....he was like treasure to them.  Each time he did something hateful, they had relished in it, seeing the anger that could easily be used for their aide.  

But after that year?  What had happened to change his mind?  To let him accept his fate and join with it?  What could possibly make him see such murdering folk as pirates as....kin....

Then he remembered.

There was an old pirate they had taken on board from another pirate ship they had just destroyed....using his broken body as sport as they watched him squirm and beg for mercy.  He had been cleaning the deck and hearing that man's pleas in a language that he understood very little of, he stopped his work and stepped in front of the flailing boots, protecting him from any further blows.  He had never heard a pirate beg before...perhaps that was why he knew that this man was different from the crew he had become a part of.

When the men gave up on making their treasure boy move, they walked away, leaving the old fool to die in his own broken shell....And in his last few moments the man looked at him....his blue eyes so understanding....so...kind....and he had whispered ...

No man can choose 'is fate, boy....bu' ya can choose t'figh' an' loose, or twist it t'yar own likin's

That was when he knew what he needed to do.  Fate chose him as a pirate, but fate would not destroy his soul.  Fate had given him hell, and he was going to give it hell right back.  One day he would be a captain of a vessel...he'd become well known, and every pirate would know that they could continue their lives without being heartless....

"Yes...." he muttered after a few moments of silence that made it seem like he would not answer Kiyan's question, "They attak'ed....killed every'un on board....but I fought over my parents bodies.....an' I guess they though' I was good enough t'be on o'em....."  He paused, wondering how to phrase his story.  After all, he certainly did have quite unusual circumstances....perhaps the best way to have Kiyan understand....

"No man can choose 'is fate....but ye can choose t'fight an' loose, or ye can twist it t'yer own likin's."

With that he stood and walked over to the edge of the ocean where the water just barely touched his toes.  He stood there and stared out into the sea, still trying to sort out his own feelings.  He had never told any one his past before, at least not in detail...and part of him struggled with revealing it all to Kiyan.  Part of him wanted to...wanted to let someone know that he wasn't some heartless bastard of a man who went around haphazardly killing on a whim...raping when he so desired....those men sickened him....and when he had his own ship....he had planned on punishing men like that....

But now it seemed like that dream had been completely dashed....now he wasn't even sure if he could find a boat to own...or if he even wanted to.....

With a silent curse he looked at the crashing waves farther out at sea.  The storm was slowly rolling in, and part of him wanted to be sucked up with the winds.  He felt almost responsible for the loss of such good men...yes, that band of pirates had been good men.  It was possible to be that....but too many people could never look past the branded "P" on his wrist....any store owner could turn him away if they saw that, claiming to any patrolling officer that he had tried to steal from them...threatened to hurt their family...and they would believe them.

All because of that fucked up letter....

Rhindeer

Kiyan stayed behind when Zarak rose and walked to the shore, staring down at the sand in front of him as he thought about everything Zarak had told him. He hadn't said much, but what details he had given him had hit hard. Fighting over the bodies of his parents...killed everyone on board...pirates killed, too...they didn't just steal, they killed...Kiyan couldn't even imagine what that must be like. He knew all too well how painful it was to lose a loved one, for he'd lost his mother only last year, but to have them killed...to see people die right in front of you...

Gods...

Kiyan was almost sorry he'd asked the question. He just couldn't see Zarak that way, and he certainly didn't fear the man; he was a friend. But it wasn't because he was afraid that Zarak had killed, too, and even if he had...he...he'd certainly have had to have a good reason behind it, because as far as Kiyan could tell, he was a good person. And after what he had been through as a child, why on Earth would he ever want to kill needlessly? No, that wouldn't make sense; Kiyan couldn't see Zarak ever doing that, not the man that smiled mischievously and spoke so honestly, so openly and patiently, as though he'd known Kiyan forever. No, rather he was afraid he'd upset him, dredged up memories that the man had been trying to keep at bay...

He knew it hurt him, having to remember his mother lying on her pyre, her face pale and smooth and peaceful in death, just before the kindling was lit and her little boat eased out to sea, out to the sea's embrace to finally rejoin her lover, the father he'd been too young to remember. But he hadn't known...he hadn't known Zarak's family had been killed...the whole ship...

That was horrible...

But horrible or not, Kiyan thought he understood. Zarak's words helped him to.

Fate had taken his family from him in the form of pirates. While Kiyan had claimed he would never have been able to accept the same people that would attack him...maybe Zarak had thought the same way, and had lost. And now he was twisting it to his own liking. Was that it? He was a pirate, but not one of the ones that deserved to be hated. He was fated to be a pirate, but he'd twisted it, hadn't let fate change who he truly was...that made sense.

And fate had lead him here. It was odd really, now that he thought of it...Zarak could have washed up on any shore, but he'd washed up here, alone, where he was also alone...

Or maybe he was just thinking too deeply. He didn't know if he fully understood. All he knew was that those words were...different. They stuck with him, and he couldn't help but keep thinking about them.

And he couldn't help but think he'd upset Zarak, a thought which bothered more and more by the second. He shouldn't have pried so deeply...he shouldn't have...

He rose to his feet after a few moments, dusting sand habitually from the back of his skirt, and made his way slowly and quietly over toward Zarak where he stood staring out at the rolling clouds that gradually blackened the sky. In the distance, Kiyan thought he could hear the faint warning rumble of thunder; it looked like it would be a good storm, but he hoped not a violent one.

Silently, Kiyan stepped beside Zarak, off to the side and just a little behind him, cautious and careful so as not to intrude rudely on any private thoughts. He'd be as gentle as possible.

He stood quietly beside him for a few, just watching the sea, watching the waves begin to respond to the storm's pull, and then slowly, almost hesitantly as though afraid of how he'd react, he reached out and placed a hand lightly on Zarak's shoulder. Reassuringly. "For what it's worth...I think I understand," he finally said quietly, voice respectfully low. "I know you're a good person, Zarak, and...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pried..."

It was just strange for him to see Zarak so suddenly quiet and withdrawn...saddening, really...

Goldie

As each wave crested and broke against the wet brown sand, Zarak felt as if his worries and fears were slowly swept back out into the sea where they would fall to the depths of the ocean and reside there for the rest of time.  His heart was heavy with the memory of his darker past, but with each passing moment he realized that he was not one to live in woe...in self-pity.

Just because he had somewhat of a dark past, didn't mean that he would let it hinder his future.  If every man who had lost their family let it run their lives, most of the world would be in mourning.  Hell if he would let himself be the one restricted.  He was a pirate now, that had been his fate and he would just have to deal with it.  Even if he never found a way to get on a ship and continue his upward trend toward owning his own ship, he would always be a pirate and...perhaps he would be able to work toward truth about his "people".  Not all of them were horrible, in fact, more often then not, people who were pirates had reasons very similar to his own in choosing that career.

When Kiyan's hand touched his shoulder, Zarak was pulled back from his thoughts and realized how melancholy he was being.  That certainly was a bit against his personality!

"Don' worry 'bout it." he replied, turning to his young friend, the boyish grin returning to erase the sudden case of sorrow, "Ye didn' ask anythin' tha' I wouldn' 'ave asked o' ye."  He winked, trying to convince him that he was fine, and that the boy hadn't asked anything wrong.  "Look at us!" he replied with a laugh, "All sad an' worryin' 'bout stuff tha' ye can' do nothin' 'bout."  looking back at the small fire with the boiling mussles he nodded his head back towards it.

"What d'ye think?  Should we get back t'th' mussles ye've put on?"  In reply to his question, his stomach growled loudly, reminding him that he hadn't eaten in....who knows how long!  He couldn't put a time to now long he had been drifting in the ocean, fading in and out of unconsciousness.  But that didn't matter...all that mattered right now was that he could get back to that pot and start a great mussle dinner.

Rhindeer

Kiyan was relieved when Zarak spoke, relieved to see his boyish grin and wink returnâ€"and glad that he hadn't inadvertantly hurt him! He knew he talked a lot, and asked a lot of questions without really thinking about them, and even now he was being conservative in his conversation with the man! He still didn't want to overwhelm him or anything...especially not by stirring up memories best left alone. While he wanted to learn about Zarak and found his life fascinating, the last thing he wanted was to learn anything at his friend's expense. Though, at the same time, he knew Zarak was right, and that he shouldn't feel bad for prying when it was all information his friend had offered up freely, promised, even. And Kiyan respected that, and trusted the man all the more for it; he no longer felt apprehensive about sharing pieces of his own story with him, no longer feared any sort of impending judgment.

He didn't have to worry about that with Zarak.

And if there was one thing he'd learned, it was that Zarak had a knack for making a gloomy situation suddenly light and cheery!

He laughed when Zarak's stomach growled loudly and suddenly, as though voicing its own opinion on the matter. Well, if nothing else could lighten the mood, random body functions always did the trick! "Yeah, we'd better get back to the mussels fast. I'm almost afraid of what your stomach would do to me otherwise...," Kiyan quipped with a grin. Slapping Zarak lightly on the shoulder in a playful imitation of what Zarak had done to him when he'd been down, he turned and began leading them back toward their little camp, glad for the change in mood. Zarak didn't seem like one suited for frowns, and Kiyan wasn't, either. It seemed like they'd both had enough of that, lately.

The mussels had opened up completely some time during their conversation, and Kiyan gathered up sand and piled it onto the fire, careful not to knock any into the boiling water, to smother the flames. The fire died in a curl of white smoke, and Kiyan crawled into the little cave briefly to fetch the laddle and the basket of bad mussels. Before he forgot, he had to get rid of the spoiled mussels; come night, it wasn't good to have food in that cave, spoiled or not, wih him, just in case it would attract something. And with a storm approaching, and evening only a few hours away, there were plenty of things that could be attracted to a lone scrap of food.

Ducking back outside, he set the laddle on an unused palm frawn; it would come in handy for fishing the mussels out of the hot water. "Help yourself, Zarak," he said with a little, amused grin. He still couldn't believe Zarak had lied about not eating mussels as a cover for being amused about his garb, and amusedly wondered how much more about himself Zarak found funny, but just didn't want to say. "Ah...I don't have any proper utensils or anything, so...just be careful not to burn yourself! I'll be right back."

He took the basket of spoiled meat to the water's edge and dumped it, letting the waves reclaim the flesh and knowing that some sea creature could make a meal of it. With that done and out of the way, he quickly returned back to Zarak and sat back on his knees next to him. "We should probably go inside soon," Kiyan said suddenly, watching the sky's gradual transformation, clouds casting shadows over the once tranquil sea that was beginning to pitch angrily. "Your storm's almost here."

It wouldn't do to get what clothes they had left soaked...or any more wet than what they already were. Kiyan's skirt was still damp from when he'd waded out for mussels, but it was nearly dry now, the material light and easily dried. The same couldn't be said for Zarak's clothes, which still seemed to need drying. Poor guy, wrapped up in a blanket...not that Kiyan had much more. He was wearing all he had until he could grab something elseâ€"well, two somethings, more like, in case Zarak needed something! Whenever that would be.

It wasn't much longer to the evening, anyway, and that was usually the time Kiyan started to clean up and move inside. On his own, he had to, because doing any less was dangerous; wild dogs came out at night to hunt, and while they wouldn't go near a large group of people, or an area that smelled of lots of people, a lone human was no contest. Maybe not even two lone humans would faze them. Could never be too sure.

Goldie

Zarak couldn't help grinning as Kiyan slapped him on the back lightly in a very similar fashion that he had been slapped before.  Perhaps it wasn't a good idea to stay here if the kid would pick up on his habits...didn't want to be a bad influence after all!  What would happen if Kiyan started walking around looting peoples private safes?  Or God forbid...stealing more pots!

It was an amusing thought, and perhaps...maybe if he was lucky some of his tricks would be passed onto him...at least to help him survive on his own, and sneak back into his village and take more things that he needed and not just a few pots and blankets.  The poor boy needed more to survive, especially if he was planning on staying here for a long time, which it seemed like what was going to happen.

"They smell 'onderful." he replied, closing his eyes and just smelling the beautiful aroma of mussles that was lifting into the air and wafting towards his nose.  There was nothing like a good meal of mussles...boiled to perfection...and....well, there weren't really any spices, but they'd be wonderful just the same!  And by the way his stomach was complaining, it felt like he could even eat sand and it would taste wonderful!

Zarak didn't need any further urging to pick up the ladle and scoop a few mussles onto another clean leaf before putting the laddle back down, "Tha's a'right." he replied with another grin, thinking back on his days out on the open water, "I'm use t'not 'avin' proper utensils.  Unless we got anythin' in th'treasure we found, we jus ate wit our 'ands.  Nothin' so fancy like as fine silver....tha' was norm'lly sold."

Watching Kiyan walk back to the cave, the pirate picked up a mussle and cursed as it burned his fingers, falling back onto the leaf with a "flumph" that seemed almost mocking.  The damn thing didn't want to be eaten and it was already dead!  Well it better get use to the idea because a little burn wasn't about to stop him from going at it again, this time with a lot more speed to pull out the meaty goodness inside and juggle it back and forth between his palms, trying to cool it down faster.

Finally he felt like he was able to pop it into his mouth and savored the beautiful flavor that filled every nook and cranny of his mouth.  It felt like he hadn't eaten in years and this meal was fit for the highest ranking king in the world.

If the king like mussles of course....

Zarak didn't need to look at the sky to know that it was slowly darkening.  He could feel the change in the very core of his bones and knew that it would be quite a storm, just from the intensity of those feelings.  He couldn't tell how long it would take to hit the shore, but from the looks of things, the heart of it would be on them in an hour at least.  It would definately be better to be back inside the cave.  Not only were storms dangerous because of wind and lightning, but it could grow to freezing temperatures once the rain and wind hit.  Even now he could feel the cold wind blowing in from the sea, sending a little shiver up his spine.  The waves had grown higher, cresting with much more force than it had earlier.

Maybe he was just being silly, but part of his did not want to be caught in another storm at the moment....he was most certainly stormed out.

Popping another mussle in his mouth, he scanned the waves, looking for anything that might be a sign that someone else could be alive....someone else possibly could have made it.  After all, he had survived hadn't he?  And he wasn't the only one who could swim on the ship....there had to be someone....

There was a movement in the waves and sent Zarak jumping to his feet and looking harder at the spot he had seen it.  It was probably nothing more than a piece of drift wood, but he couldn't be too sure.

There it was again, quite a few feet back from the shoreline, a bobbing object that he couldn't make out from this distance, but with each passing second his fears heightened.  If it was a person....

No no...if it was there was always a chance that he was alive and just as lucky as Zarak had been.  There was always that chance even if those chances were slim....ungodly slim.  

But he still had to hope.

Leaving his half eaten mussles behind, the pirate sprinted to the waters edge, wading into the sea before he realized that he was most certainly still wearing the makeshift skirt.  He didn't want to be dragged down by the fabric, or get his only piece of dry clothing wet again, so in rush, he untied the blanket and tossed it back onto the beach away from the waves before plunging back into the icy water, hurrying out to the object that was looking more and more human by the second.  

He was tired, but the adrenaline rush from the thought of finding another crewmember gave him the strength to keep going, the water slowly getting higher and higher until he found that he was swimming, dragging his hands over his head as he pulled himself closer to the object, the ocean waves bringing them closer together.  

The waves were choppier out this far, and much higher than anything he was use to as they continuously crashed down on his head, or he ducked under the water to avoid being flipped backwards and losing all sense of direction.  Wiping the salt water from his eyes, he scanned the waves again, afraid that he had lost the person he had been swimming to, until in a small break, he caught sight of it again.  This time much closer, only a minutes swim away.

Pulling up his strength again, Zarak pulled himself closer, dread closing in around his heart as he realized the body was face down in the water, and not moving.

Tredding water beside him, the pirate forced himself to turn the man over, hoping against hope that he would find something other than what he was seeing in his mind...hoping that this man was alive...alive and just ran out of strength....

But when the body flipped over, it took all of Zarak's strength not to retch on the spot.  The face blue and bloated, veins sticking out all over his face...he was so distroted that Zarak couldn't even recognize him, couldn't even place who this man was, but by his garb he knew that he had been a victim of the shipwreck.

Without another glance, Zarak turned and swam back towards the shore, his strength nearly gone as the undertow fought against his efforts to get back to shore.  But he knew he needed to get back, if he didn't his fate would be the same as that mans...he would wash up on the shore and that would be the end.

Damnit!  Why had he gone out again?  Especially when the storm was making the waves much more dangerous than they were normally?  Wasn't he smarter than that?

Damn!

He didn't know how long he struggled, but finally his toes brushed the ocean floor and he fought even hard, feeling the undertow pulling him back out into the ocean.  The water got lower as he stumbled foreward, his knees about ready to give out.

"Tha'...was stupid..." he muttered to himself.

Rhindeer

Unlike Zarak, Kiyan was more cautious when it came to eating, scooping out a few mussels onto a clean leaf and letting them sit to cool. But, he also hadn't gone for who knew how long without food, and could afford a little patience. He poked the meat every now and then, testing its heat, and only when it didn't burn his fingers did he peel it out and pop it in his mouth. The meal was nothing special to him; truth be told, he was starting to get sick of mussels. But he'd eat them everyday if it meant watching Zarak's little juggling act.

And he couldn't help but keep thinking about something Zarak had mentioned. His people normally ate with silver? Man, they must have a lot of it, then, where they came from, because silver was rare here, and far too pretty to eat off of!

He ate faster as the storm neared, starting to feel uneasy. The closer it got, the darker it got, the more violent the sea turned, the more Kiyan realized it was not going to be gentle. If worse came to worst, the tide would be higher than normal, and they'd have to seek higher ground. Hopefully that wouldn't happen...Kiyan didn't know of any other good, safe shelters nearby, and he didn't want to be out in the night in a storm, especially with what lurked about in the night, which he wasn't so sure the storm would keep at bay.

Nibbling his lip uneasily, he turned his gaze away from the sky and was about to ask Zarak what he knew about the storm...except that he was no longer there.

And was instead sprinting toward the water, into the water, undoing the blanket tied about his waist. Kiyan hadn't heard the rustle of sand that would have told him he had gotten to his feet, the sound of the waves by now too loud for hearing more subtle things. And it was a few shocked moments as he watched Zarak fling the blanket to shore and continue wading deeper into the choppy waters before he could leap to his own feet.

Oh no...he wasn't doing what he thought he was! Had he gone mad?! Argh, he knew he probably had a fever of some sort!

"Zarak! No!" Kiyan shouted, cursing silently at the sand that always made running so difficult when speed was so important. Damnit! What was he doing?! What was he thinking, even! He wasn't strong enough! The way he'd found him on the shore earlier, there was just no way he could be fully recovered! He was going to drown himself! Panic rose in Kiyan as he skidded to a stop at the water's edge, scanning the waves frantically, practically bouncing from foot to foot as he looked for a sign of his new companion. Gods, he should have been watching him...just in case he really was sick...sickness could make people do strange things, and this had been so sudden, without any warning whatsoever! The waves were growing stronger and stronger...Gods, where was he?! Had he been dragged under already?! Wait...

A wave broke, clearing his line of vision for a moment, and he could see him then, swimming back to the shore against the pull of the sea, before another wave obscured his vision. Taking no chances and knowing that he needed as little resistance as possible against these waves, he fumbled quickly with the ties at his waist, undid his own skirt, and waded quickly out into the water. Kicking off the ground, he swam with the powerful strokes of an experienced swimmer against the waves, ducking under each cresting mass of water instead of trying to battle through it. He didn't have to swim too far, though, for by the time he reached Zarak, the man seemed to have already found a place where he, at least, could touch bottom. Kiyan couldn't, and the undertow was hard to resist, but he stuck by Zarak's side just the same, even though he seemed to have everything under control. But he looked weak and exhausted...and any slip up could cause the sea to suck him right back up again. If that happened, he'd be there to assist, and even now, just in case, he wrapped an arm around one of Zarak's to help him along.

Somewhere during this all, Kiyan silently wondered just what he would have done if Zarak hadn't been strong enough to swim back. He'd never swam in a storm before, always knew better than to attempt something like that, and even close to the shore, even as an experienced swimmer, it was hard work making it back. He wasn't one to easily exhaust, but he could definitely feel this in his muscles.

Once the water was shallow enough to come to their calves he let go of Zarak, breathing hard in a mixture of ebbing panic and exertion. Mostly panic, though. That really had scared him...he'd have to watch the man closely now, make sure he didn't try any other foolish stunts like that.

"What...what was that about?" he asked, exasperated, as he shook his soaked hair from his eyes and rested his hands on his knees, catching his breath. "You could have drowned! Don't do that again, Zarak! If something happened, I don't know that I'd be strong enough to pull you out without drowning us both in the process! And you're not well enough yet, either!" His heart still hammered in his chest even as relief flooded him, and gooseflesh prickled along his skin from an unpleasant mixture of cold air and cold water. Ugh, that had been close...

Goldie

His mind was completely focused on one thing as he struggled against the pull of the waves.  He had to get back to shore...he had to....and even though his body was about to give out, Zarak fought off the exhaustion, too busy fighting to notice that Kiyan was beside him, holding his arm in an attempt to steady his exhausted frame.

And it worked.  Frankly Zarak was shocked that he had made it this far, until he notice that he was being supported by his young friend, and when the support lifted, his knees buckled and he toppled onto his knees, barely strong enough to hold himsef up in a cat like position.  He was still dehydrated, and damnit he should have realized that he wasn't strong enough to jump back in the ocean.  Just walking from the cave to the fire had made him feel light headed....

But the thought that one of his shipmates might be alive....struggling against the waves....that was enough to push him over his current handicap and jump in to try and do something...to help him....even if he barely had the strength to help himself.  But it had been in vain...the man was dead, and from the looks of him he had been dead for some time...maybe a day?  But where did that leave him?  How long at the ocean waves toppled him about as he fought to stay afloat, barely conscious..unable to tell if it was day or night...just floating on the massive ocean....

It could have been days...it could have been a few hours....he didn't know....but now that mans face haunted his thoughts.  That could have been him....that could have been what had washed up on the shore.

What had made him so lucky?  He didn't believe in gods, in some higher being controlling them!  If anything he believed that everyone was born with a horrible fate and there was nothing they could do to change it.  Ever person would die, whether young or old...that was their ultimate fate.  But whether or not they died with dignity and honor...that was a choice.  But who had decided that he should live?  Was there a higher power working for him, saving him in hopes that one day he'd wake up and shout "Blessed be the Gods!"  He couldn't see himself doing that, ever....not since his parents died...

"I...saw some'un..." he muttered, finally realizing that Kiyan was talking to him, unsure how long it had actually taken him to reply.  His mind was lost in a swirling haze and he could barely focus on the sand beneath his hands and the ocean lapping against his legs, "It...it was...stupid...." he choked out through his exhaustion, "I... dunno... why.... dunno why I did it."  With a violent sneeze his arms gave way and he collapsed onto the sand, breathing heavily  out of his mouth, just trying to stay awake.

Damnit that was stupid!  What had gotten into him?  At first he hadn't even known if it was a person!  For all he knew it could have very well just been a piece of drift wood, a fish that enjoyed sailing on the waves.  Why had he run straight into a violent sea that was preparing for a storm that was slowly sneaking up onto the coastline?

Maybe he was sick...maybe he did have a fever that was making him do stupid things.  From the way things were spinning he wouldn't be shocked if Kiyan reached over and felt his forehead only to find he was on fire.  And that alone was strange.  From all his years on a ship he had managed to only get truly sick a few times.  One of them he had gotten fluid in his lungs and a healer had been brought on board....or rather, he had been taken from another ship and forced to heal him...but that didn't matter.

And...hadn't it felt just like this?  When he had been sick before?  The deep breaths that never seemed to fill his lungs enough...the aching in his bones....

But he was just dehydrated, dehydrated and exhausted from a frantic swim that nearly claimed his life.  That had to be it...he wasn't sick...

Damnit he couldn't be.

Rhindeer

Exasperation and confusion very quickly faded away, replaced by a growing dread.

Saw someone? Squinting, Kiyan glanced out over the water, just to be sure, but all he saw was churning waves and rolling clouds. Zarak had gone out there because he thought he saw someone? Concern grew within him progressively, but he scanned the ocean waters a few more times just to be sure. After all, it was a possibility; Zarak had not been alone when he'd been cast to the waves. But Kiyan could see nothing out there but water, and the worry within him only continued to increase.

And it only doubled when a violent sneeze and soft thump on the sand next to him told him that Zarak's arms and legs had given out beneath him.

He tore his eyes from he sea with a start and, crouching down next to Zarak, instinctively darted out a hand to feel at his brow, going off his hunch. He was seeing things; that had to be what that meant, and while his weakness could easily be attributed to exhaustion from his battle against the waves, he wanted to take no chances. Zarak hadn't felt hot to the touch earlier, but now to Kiyan's horror, his temperature was noticeably elevated, hot to his fingers. He was sick...Kiyan knew he had to have been sick, but he hadn't shown any real signs until now! He'd shown exhaustion and dehydration and hunger, but no illness!

But just like a storm, sicknesses could come about suddenly and unpredictably, a fever broiling unexpectedly in a person who'd only hours ago seemed healthy.

Gods, he had hoped it wouldn't have to come to this...

"You're burning up...that's why you did it...it's okay, it's not your fault," Kiyan said softly, shivering lightly from the cold wetness beaded all over his skin which the equally cold breeze only further cooled. "Damn...I knew it." He should have watched his condition more closely! He'd been in horrible shape when he'd found him, but then after water and food, he'd been acting just fine, if tired! and Kiyan had been optimistic about his condition, hoped for the best ad been confident that all he needed was some rest. This was bad. This was the worst scenario he could have hoped for. He was no healer, and Zarak's skin was so hot...and his breathing sounded really bad. He'd been laying down long enough that his breathing should have been normal by now, as Kiyan's was...

That was bad...that was really bad...

Rising, he went quickly to gather up their discarded garments only a few yards away, and, hurrying back, he draped the blanket around Zarak's shoulders before slipping back into his own skirt quickly, not bothering with the ties. "Come on...we have to get you back to the cave, get some water in you," he told Zarak, stooping and looping an arm around one of his, hoping that Zarak had at least enough strength to help him get him off the ground. He'd support him as much as he could, and even if Zarak hadn't the strength...he'd...get him back there somehow.

And, in the meantime...he wracked his brain, trying to remember what the healer did to help sick patients. Water. That was a big one. He remembered when he was sick, he was given a ton of water, forced to drink it even when he hadn't the strength, and when fever had attacked him, he'd been washed with cold, wet rags. Otherwise, he was kept bundled up. The healer had also given him something...an herb of some sort...but he didn't know what it was...

Agh! That didn't sound like it was enough, though! And what if Zarak got really sick? What if he couldn't break the fever, or something else happened and he started vomiting, lost more fluids than he could take in? He could die!

Kiyan had been worried enough about getting ill himself, but another person? Gods...that was even worse...

And, with dread, Kiyan knew exactly what he'd do if things progressed further than he could handle. Yet, all the same, facing his tribe again was far less frightening than watching someone he'd come to value as a friend slowly die...

But, maybe he was just jumping to conclusions! Getting all panicky! Maybe Zarak was just weak from dehydration and hot from exertion!

"Zarak? How do you feel? Can you see well? Does your head and body hurt?" he asked, concern and dread lacing his words as he recalled the symptoms he remembered from his own illnesses.

Goldie

The blanket drapping across his shoulders was a blessing, as it helped to fight off the chilling wind that had covered his skin with goosebumps.  He hadn't realized that he had been shivering until thewind had been cut off, giving him more room to think about what was going on.  He felt like in that last frantic swim he had used up the last reserves of his strength.  Hell, he was surprised he had even been able to get back to shore, and was pretty sure that if Kiyan hadn't come in and helped to support him, he would have collapsed before it was safe and that would have been the end.

"There really was...some'un" he muttered at Kiyan's diagnosis, but wasn't in any position to argue with him.  Eventhough he was burning with fever, he was positive that the man he had seen had been no hallucination.  That face had been too real...far too gruesome for him to create on a whim.

But the fever might have had a part in making him unthinking just run into the crashing waves that were carrying the storm to the coastline.  Or maybe he was just stupid.  He should have realized that the ocean was not kind at the moment, just by looking at the choppy waters, the rising levels, he was a seaman!  Of course he should have known...but somethinghad still made him run head first into the worst possible danger he could have.  Now he had used up his strength and in those last moments the fever had taken advantage of the weakness and exploited it.

Feeling Kiyan place his arm around his shoulders, Zarak forced himself to stand and stumble back to the cave.  He was no fool...usually...and knew that Kiyan would have quite a hard time trying to get him back to his makeshift home all by himself.  He had to help in anyway he possibly could, even if that meant leaning heavily on his young friend's shoulder and limping along.  Once they reached the cave he would be able to collapse and rest...but now he needed to force himself on just a little longer.

"'urt?" he asked, his words slightly slurred from exertian.  He had been too focused on forcing himself foreward that he hadn't even started to take note on what hurt and what didn't.  His breaths were still slightly labored and his lungs felt tight.  But that was impossible.  His lungs were perfectly healthy....he never had the breathing sickness that some people were born with.  Then why was he weezing?  No matter how faint he couldn't deny that he was certainly short of breath in more ways than just being tired, "My ches'..." he muttered in reply to the injury questions.  His right side was filled with a dull ache as he took shallow sips of air.  "I can see fine....don' worry.." he looked over at Kiyan, that same grin lighting his exhausted features, "I've been through worse siteations then this.  I jus'...jus' need sum water."

His attempts to keep things light were slightly lost on him himself as he fell back into his mind, trying to piece together the symptoms.  He wasn't sure what was wrong with him, but something sang out in his mind that it was worse than just a slight sickness from being cold....of course Zarak would try his best to keep Kiyan from worrying too much.  Whatever was going on it was sure to pass in a few days.

A cough errupted from his throat, shaking his shoulders  and making it even harder to keep his legs steady enough to support himself.  His dark blonde curls fell in his eyes and once the cough subsided he pushed the stray pieces aside, his fingers feeling like they were suddenly overgrown sausages instead of the deft digits that he was use to using on his ship.

Each step took a little more out of him and caused him to lean a bit more heavily on Kiyan for support.  If Zarak had been in any other situation he would have tried to walk back to the cave by himself, fighting against someone elses help in fear that by showing his own weakness they would exploit it and he would be dead before he could blink...

But with Kiyan he felt all of those fears he had grown up with dissapate.  The boy had a good heart, anyone could see that because his kindness shined through even the slightest lie...if he could tell them.  It was strange that Zarak found himself feeling quite fondly about the lad.  Attatchment usually meant heartache in a pirates' life and he had tried to steer clear of anything that might cause such pain...but with Kiyan...it was almost innevitable that he like him.  The boy was so trusting...so hopefully ignorant to the world around him.  Or at least the world that Zarak had come from.  For all he knew he had been thrown into a completely different dimmension where everyone was just as trusting and wonderful as Kiyan.

Not that he believed it.

Rhindeer

Kiyan winced as Zarak spoke, his words slurred and breathing noticeably shallow, wheezing. He didn't know what that meant, didn't know what it meant when Zarak reported that his chest hurt, and that only worried him more. He was burning up and his chest hurt, and he wasn't breathing well, either. That wasn't something Kiyan remembered experiencing himself...he'd felt achey, hot and cold at the same time, and his breathing had been difficult due to a stuffed up nose, but this sounded different. And it all happened so suddenly! He'd seemed fine only minutes ago!

Still, Kiyan did his best to smile weakly when Zarak grinned at him, even as he felt the man's weight against him grow heavier and heavier, making him stumble. He was weakening fast, and with their skin touching, he could feel the unhealthy heat radiating off him. And that cough didn't sound good, either. Hell, but it shook Zarak enough to nearly throw Kiyan off balance, and he paused just long enough for Zarak to recover from that bout before continuing them on their awkward way.

Water. He definitely needed that, and fast. Lots of it. He might have to get more from the spring before the storm hit fully, and...oh man...the storm. What would happen if it did turn out really bad and they were forced to move? Maybe they should move now just in case? No, couldn't move now, Zarak was sick and needed rest, needed to gain up some strength...that fever at least needed to be brought down before he was forced to do anything else! But then what? It wouldn't be good for him to be out in the cold and rain when it hit.

Kiyan took a deep breath. Okay. He just had to stop thinking for a second. He just had to take this one step at a time and take it as it happened. First things first: making it to the cave, making Zarak comfortable, getting water down him, and prepping the area for the night and storm.

After what seemed like an eternity, they made it back to the little cave, and Kiyan took extra care to ease Zarak down carefully inside, painfully aware of the lack of supplies within. It hadn't seemed so bad at the time when he was healthy and it was just he living here, but now...this wasn't good. He only had one blanket for Zarak and no extra clothes besides. Though, he doubted either of them cared about modesty right now, and he was only concerned about keeping Zarak warm. Well, when he needed to be warm. He recalled from his own experiences being stripped bare and sponged by the healer when the worst of the fever had hit him, even though he'd felt horribly cold to the point of shivering when in reality he was so hot he was sweating...

But all he had to go off of was fragmented memories. He hoped he was doing everything right...cool the body when it's hot, warm it when it's cold...

Ugh...he wished he knew more...and hoped what he did knowâ€"or thought he didâ€"would be enough.

He pushed the jar of water toward Zarak before he realized the ladle was still outside, so he quickly went back out to retrieve it. Once back, he scooped up some water and passed it to Zarak, though he held it still in case he needed help. He was so weak now, it wouldn't surprise him if he fumbled and got more water down his front than down his throat. "I'm sorry...I don't have much here at all and you're probably not very comfortable, are you? Here, you're going to have to drink a lot of this. It'll help fight the fever and keep your body cool, at least..." He hoped.

And grimaced at his own uncertainty. Even the smallest illness could be nasty if it wasn't treated properly, and...and...Kiyan just didn't feel comfortable taking these kind of chances with someone's health or even life!

"Zarak? Ah...do you know what it is you have?" he asked suddenly, voice tense, before asking in a rush, but even more quietly, "And...do you...have any ideas how to go about treating it? I...I'm not a healer, see, and I don't really know what to do except what I remember the healer did for me when I was sick myself. And you are sick," Kiyan asserted, using his free hand to feel at Zarak's forehead and face again and then feeling his own skin to compare. While his own skin was cool to the touch, Zarak's was indeed on fire, and that scared him, though he forced his voice to come out sounding calm. Or, as calm as he could make it. "You're on fire..."

Despite Zarak's previous reassurance that he'd been in worse "siteations" before and that there really had been someone in the waterâ€"a topic that would just have to be explored laterâ€"Kiyan was no more calm. Something was very, very wrong, and since it had flared up so quickly, it wasn't so much of a stretch to think it could take a turn for the worst just as quickly.

And that just wasn't something Kiyan wanted to risk. Gods, but he'd really become attached to the man, the one person he felt he could really talk to and confide in...the one person that had truly ever been open with him. Even if he'd only known him a day, it felt like...well, almost like he was an old friend come home after a long trip...

He wasn't about to take risks with him.

Goldie

Zarak was grateful to finally be off of his feet, leaning against the cave wall as he tried to keep his breaths shallow to hide the obvious wheezing.  He didn't want Kiyan to flip out.  The poor kid had done enough for him already and he didn't like the thought that he was intruding on his space.

And he really wasn't that sick!  It was normal to feel a bit woozy when fever hit, and he wasn't that surprised to find that he had fallen ill...hell he didn't even know how long he had been out at sea!  Any normal person couldn't go through something like that and not catch something.  But it wasn't anything worse than what he had gotten through before, he was sure!  After all, most of the weakness was probably contributed to the fact that he had just been stupid and ran off into a raging ocean and even then he hadn't been up to par!

"I'm fine..." he insisted again, accepting the laddle but not attempting to take it from Kiyan's hands..but pretending he was at least doing something while the cool water washed down his throat, "I'm jus' tired....I'll feel better wit sum rest."

At least he hoped.  Everything was so hazy, like he was walking through a dream and part of him wanted to believe that it was just a dream.  In the back of his mind he knew that things weren't as great as he kept assuring Kiyan they were...but in his fever altered state he nearly believed it.  

After all, how many times had he fallen ill on the ship?  Three times at most?  For the serious illnesses that actually had needed some sort of attention.  And even if this was one of those times, Zarak was sure that he would be able to snap out of it in a few days at the most.  And he wasn't about to let some sickness rule his life!  Even if he didn't feel well he was going to try and help Kiyan as much as he could...

After a good long rest of course...yeah....just close his eyes...and....

Zarak blinked, realizing that Kiyan had asked a question.  Did he know what he had?   The symptoms seemed vaguely farmiliar, but in his groggy state he couldn't focus on when, or what had happened.....the wheezing was definately something he remembered...and tightening pain in his chest...but why couldn't he remember what had happened?  It was almost as if he couldn't even remember the recovery!  The sickness was in his mind...but that was it...maybe he was really loosing his mind.  On the ship, he had been resting when the wheezing had flared up unexpectedly...the coughing had become worse and people around him had been talking in hushed, worried tones...that was were his memory drew a blank.  It was almost as if he had fallen asleep and just....woke up the next day perfectly normal...

Oh Gods.....

He had been healed hadn't he?  That was the only plausible explaination!  The sickness had gotten out of control to the point where his shipmates could do nothing for him and had brought a healer on board!  Did that mean....did that mean that this was going to be the same?  Everything he felt was too close to his memories for him to believe otherwise....But he didn't know what he had had!!  For all he knew it could have been a disease that had no cure...or...

"I dunno..." he muttered, closing his eyes and resting his head against the wall, "I r'member it....bu' I dunno wha' it's called."  Did he dare mention that he thought he had been healed?  That he thought that was the only way he had been able to get well?  A shiver shook him as his body felt clammy beneath the blanket, a cold sweat breaking out across his brow.  It was odd, to know that you were burning up but he still felt unbareably cold.

When his eyes closed, the exhaustion took the initiative to his with much more force than before, pulling it's victim into a restless slumber.

Rhindeer

Even after Zarak drifted off to sleep, Kiyan stayed knelt beside him for a few moments, watching him uneasily to make sure he'd be okay alone for the small span of time it'd take for him to clean up outside and prepare them for the storm. Just as a precaution, he tore a strip of cloth off the bottom end of the blanket and poured some water on it using the laddle, then folded it and placed it on Zarak's forehead. He'd do more later, or as much as he could in hopes of bringing his temperature down, but before he could do anything, he had to take measures to ensure he wouldn't get any sicker, and that meant protecting them from the storm.

Returning outside, he debated about the cooked mussels for a few minutes before deciding to keep them and bringing the cooled jar inside and setting it against a wall opposite to Zarak. If Zarak got hungry later, it would do to make sure there was some ready-to-eat food available, and Kiyan didn't think they'd have to worry about wild dogs when there was two of them and it was stormingâ€"but, then, he wasn't quite sure whether they'd come out in this storm or now. Alone, that was a different story.

Once that was done, he picked up Zarak's clothes and shook them out, trying to beat as much sand off them as possible. They were still a little damp in places, and the material felt stiff, but the stiffness could be fixed with a good washing in clean water. Later, though. He brought those inside as well and laid them, folded, at the foot of Zarak's "bed".

Then it was off to do a quick clean-up. He tossed the rocks from the fire pit away in random directions, then covered up the hole and the palm frawn ashes, making sure sand and ash was nicely mixed and then buried. He would have otherwise let the sea have the ashes, but the rain would take care of that this time. As long as it wasn't obvious to human eyes that a fire had been made here, he wasn't worried.

Then, the last thing to do was to return the broken palm frawns that he hadn't used back to where he'd found them, a little ways up the cliff his makeshift shelter was etched into. He kept only one large leaf and returned with it, pushing it into the shelter while being careful of Zarak. Then it was back outside to push a large stone he kept near the entrance forward and near the opening, leaving just enough space so he could squeeze inside, and just in time. By the time he'd finished all that, a droplet of water on his shoulder and increase in the chilly wind told him the storm was here...though this was only the beginning.

He took a few minutes to double check that everything was taken care of before slipping inside and pulling the stone the rest of the way until it blocked the entrance; it was only tall enough to come up to about half the cave mouth's height and almost all of its width, but it wasn't that which he used to keep the rain and wind outâ€"that was just to keep predators out.

He used the large palm frawn to block out the remaining gaps, leaving just enough space to allow some of the remaining light to filter through, and, sitting down with his back against the wall, wiped water from his eyes. The rain had finally started to really come down toward the end, hissing lightly as it struck down upon the sand.

And now, after he'd assured that they would stay as dry as possible through thisâ€"Zarak especiallyâ€" he could get to the matter that really concerned him, regardless of Zarak's insistance that he was fine...

Kiyan checked the cloth he'd left on Zarak's forehead and grimaced when he found that the one side was nearly dry and the cloth was warm. Not good. He carefully stripped the blanket down to Zarak's waist, regardless of any shivers. No matter how much his friend shivered, it did nothing to hide the fact that his skin was burning, and a quick feel of his forehead and chest showed that the fever just might have increased a bit; he was so hot he was sweating now...

Taking a deep breath, Kiyan dunked his makeshift rag into the water and began his attempt at cooling Zarak down, sponging cool water along his face, chest, and stomach  and praying he was going about this the right way...and that, above all else, it wouldn't get any worse. No matter what Zarak said, Kiyan could tell he was bad off, if his temperature wasn't enough evidence for that! He'd faded so fast...and his breathing sounded terrible...

That, and his temperature, was probably what scared him the most. Aside from the fact that this was all he knew how to do.

But...if it got bad...if it got worse and too much for him to handle...he'd just have to do it. He'd just have to go back to his tribe and get help. That was all there was too it. If it got out of control, he'd do it...he didn't want to, but...but it would be far better than the alternative...

In a strange way, that comforted him, knowing that if he could no longer deal with the illness, help wasn't too far away.

Well, help for Zarak. In Kiyan's case...well, it might as well be the end of his life.

An exaggeration of course, but to Kiyan, not far from the truth.

But it probably wasn't that bad! He was probably just freaked because he'd never had to deal with a sickness that wasn't his own. Zarak might be right. What if it was nothing but it really just seemed like a lot to him because he was inexperienced?

Yeah...that was probably it...

Goldie

"Zarak, sweetheart, could you please bring me that bag?"  a beautiful young woman called to her son who had started to wander off among the large crates that littered the docks.  Her waist length redish blonde curls bouncing off of her shoulders as she stooped to gather two packages the small family was bringing on board as they made their way off of the secluded island.  Beside her stood a tall man, tanned and finely built from years of working aboard a fishing boat.  As his wife called out to their ten year old boy, he looked up from the few bags he was inspecting, a small grin appearing on his lips as he caught the guilty look on the boys face as he had been trying to sneak away.

"Th' bag?" he asked innocently, a heavy island accent ringing through his words that he had picked up from the boys on the island and his father.  His mother on the other hand, had been raised away from the small fishing village and had retained her own dialect.

"Ye 'eard yer mum!" his father replied, lifting his own load off of the ground as the large wooden ship began to drop a large wooden plank so they could board.  "Bring those bag 'ere.  Th' ship is 'bout t'start loadin.  Ye wouldn' wanna be left 'ahind, would ye?"  The boy shook his head, shuffling his feel on the ground as he was caught in his escape.  After a few seconds paused, the boy grasped the two remaining lugadge items and continued after his parents.  His own curls bobbed as he jogged to catch up to them, looking so much like his mother but with the color to match his father.  He was tall for his age, having gone through a growth spurt over the last few days, but with his height also came a more rebellious nature, as his parents had quickly found out.

Carrying as much as they could from their old home, the three walked up the plank and onto the ship that would be their home for the next month as they made their way across the ocean and to a new world to start over...

Zarak coughed, his head rolling slightly as it jolted him slightly from his dreams.  Or in reality, he subconsciously fought against them.  He had lived so long without his parents that he didn't want to see them, he didn't want to re-live their last moments again, not even in a dream.

He cracked his eyes opened, the fever disorienting him to the point where he could barely recognize where he was.  His initial reaction was that the ship had been taken over and he had been taken hostage.  Well they would certainly have a surprise coming for them!  Not only would he not tell them anything, but he had a few tricks up his sleeve to keep them from touching him...well...sorta.  He would hurt them a lot before they had a chance to blink.

But why was he so tired?  And his arms felt like weights rather then working limbs...and everything was blurred...he could barely focus on anything and...god he was tired....so....tired...

"'e'll be fine, Isaya" Zarak heard his father whispered to his mother when they thought he had fallen asleep and believed they couldn't be heard right outside the door.

"I know...I'm just so worried..." came the soft musical reply.

"Don' be.  'e's a good lad an' 'e'll get along wit all th' boys in our new 'ome. "

"Perhaps you're right...." but the doubt was still clearly noted in her voice.  It annoyed Zarak a little, to know that his parents were discussing him behind his back, hoping that he wouldn't heard them.  But in another sense, he was flattered to know that his father thought he was good and that he would do well in their new home.  Truth be told, he hadn't wanted to leave their small home.  He didn't care if it was tiny, he liked where he was, the friends he had grown up with....but his da thought he was strong enough to handle it....so he'd just have to prove it to his mum.

His eys flew opened, but they stared wildly about him in a way that proved he was seeing nothing that was in the cave.  The fever had taken complete hold over his body, causing him to sweat profusely as his body shivered.  And his temperature continued to increase, just as his cough continued to get progressively worse, his breathing raspy as if he was trying to breath through jello.

He didn't want to see the rest of the dream.  He knew that had happened that night, only moments after he had heard his parents discussing him outside of their cabin, but the screams still echoed in his mind even with his eyes staring wildly out at the world.  He could still heard the sound of blades being drawn...the sound of those blades swinging through the air....blood falling to the ground with the heavy body following soon after....the scream of his mother as she burst in through the door, her eyes wild, her face splattered with blood...the pirates stepping over his father's body...

"Leave my boy alone..." she begged as the pirates advanced, knowing that they had seen him and there was no chance to get him to hide.  Her son had already scrambled down from the small bed and was by his mum, her shaking hands pushing him behind her, "Please, I beg of you...."  Zarak had never heard her sound so scared, not even the time he had fallen out of a large tree and had lain unconscious for three days.

The pirates just laughed as they stepped foreward, one of them grabbing Isaya's arm, his eyes filled with lust.

"Well she is a pretty 'un..." he taunted with a wicked grin, "Ah think tha' Ah may jus' 'ave t'keep 'er..."  His mother's eyes grew wide and she picked up her struggle, waving her free arm and scratching him across the face, twisting in his grasp, biting, screaming, pleading.  Even Zarak understood what was going on.  They had been told stories about pirates back on the island...how they attacked ships, raped the women....they couldn't do that to his mum!  They couldn't!  But they were...and he was frozen as the men played with her skirts, unbuckling their belts....He needed to find something!  He needed to do something!  He had to prove to his mum that he was strong, that he could protect her!

With single minded determination he spotted the mop in the corner of the room.  Jumping foreward he plowed head first into one of the men who were watching the sport, knocking him off his feet.  Rolling quickly away, the young boy grabbed a mop that rested in the corner and raced back to protect his mum, to try and stop what was going on....or.....  Looking around frantically he spotted her crumpled on the floor, the pirate who had raped her standing above her with a bloodied blade.  She was covered in blood where he had cut her throat, eyes staring blankly at the ceiling as a single tear rolled down her cheek.  With a terrible cry of rage and sorrow, Zarak jumped foreward, brandishing his make-shift weapon...

"I hate ye!" he cried, throwing his arms out as he tried to attack the pirates that raded his mind, "Ye killed 'er!  Ye killed 'er!"  He attempted to stand, determined to fight the men who had done those horrible things to his mum...who had killed his da and then taken him on because he showed "spirit".

They had fucked up his life...that had destroyed any hope he had of starting a new life.

"Let us be!" he cried again, tears filling his eyes but not falling, "They're dead...ye fuckin' bastards..."

The forced movement was enough to robe him of whatever strength he had left and he collapsed back onto the "bed" falling back into an exhausted sleep, but the shivers lessened as the fever reached its breaking point and gently began to descend to a more manageable level.

Even his unconsciousness was more like a deep sleep of someone who had no more strength left and was doing everything in their power to replenish their energy.  The dreams and hallucinations stopped and his breathing became more even, but they were still raspy and forced as every few minutes another cough escaped.

Rhindeer

[XD I decided to change Kiyan's age a bit...well, by a year. >.> So...he's 16 now. 17, for some reason, just didn't feel right to me...dunno why. *pickypicky*]

Time crept by, and Kiyan soon lost track of the minutes. Not that he'd been keeping track before, not really. The growing shadows marked the progression of time, the deepening growl of the storm as it neared and sudden flickering of light that preceded it only heightening the boy's anxiety as the fever wreaked its havoc on his friend and he was left to try and control it. Or at least stabilize it. All he could do was try and keep Zarak's body cool and hydrated, to wash down his fevered body and press the soaked rag to his lips in an attempt to get some liquid down him without drowning him in the process. That was the most he knew how to do, and he found some comfort in that the fever, at least for now, hadn't gotten any worse.

But it hadn't gotten any better.

The roar of the surf grew louder, matching the rumble of thunder, the twin beasts of nature's wrath that drowned out all other sounds, and the lightning grew closer, brighter, illuminating the little "room" as night fell steadily. Before long, the lightning was the only direct light around, the moon and stars blotted out by myriad clouds. Thank Gods the clouds reflected light, the moon illuminating them and offering what light it could, even trapped behind those ominous peaks, otherwise they would have been in total darkness, save in increments when the lightning flashed.

The storm couldn't have picked a better time to arrive, and its presence, coupled with Zarak's fever, made him increasingly nervous. Time and time again he'd leave Zarak's side to peek outside and watch the waves, watch the tide. And as he'd suspected, it was higher than usual, a little more than halfway up to the entrance of the cave, and a steady rain had begun to fall, soaking into once dry sand as wind sent cool droplets into his eyes. The waves tossed violently, cresting dangerously, and Kiyan sincerely hoped anyone out at sea had found safety. This storm could very well have been the sister of the one that stranded Zarak...

Shuffling tiredly back to Zarak after checking the conditions again, Kiyan pressed his back against the wall and rested beside Zarak's "bedside". He didn't have the moon to tell him how much time had passed since he'd last checked, but he guessed it was...pretty late, if his sore eyes had anything to say on the matter. He rubbed his left hand over his eyes and sat up straighter as he realized how tired he was becoming. No, he couldn't fall asleep. He definitely didn't want to drift off, only to wake up because something had taken a turn for the worse! And if something had to worsen, he hoped it was the weather, and not Zarak's fever.

Picking the damp cloth up off of Zarak's brow, which had been made warm from Zarak's body heat, he soaked it in the water again...and in his tiring state, it took him a few seconds before he realized something was terribly wrong, to notice that Zarak's eyes were wide open. Kiyan gave a start and opened his mouth to say something, but it was then that he realized Zarak wasn't really there, wasn't really awake or looking at anything. And it was also then that he was able to recognize the change in temperature he'd felt when his skin had come in contact with Zarak's, to see the sweat that now seemed to pour from his body's pores, even as he shivered uncontrollably. And his breathing...

Even in such a short amount of time, it had gotten worse.

Heart racing, Kiyan picked up the wet rag. Oh Gods, he was worse...he took his eyes off him for one moment andâ€"

And Zarak went crazy.

"Zarak!" Kiyan yelped as one flailing arm caught him in the side of the jaw, knocking him right over onto the sand. He scrambled quickly up, jaw throbbing, and fear jolted through him as he saw Zarak struggling to rise, yelling. Oh no...fever dream...that's what it had to be...oh crap...what if...what if he could really see, only his dream had it distorted and...and he saw Kiyan as this...killer? Kiyan's eyes grew very wide at that thought. Oh damn...this could be bad...

"Zarak, it's okay! It's a dream, you're safe, no one's dead. It's me, Kiyan!" he cried, even as he saw tears filling his friend's eyesâ€"something he hadn't expected to ever see from Zarak. A pang of pain flashed through him. He must be seeing something really horrible in whatever place it was that he'd gone off to...and though Kiyan wished to snap him out of that place, he'd heard before that doing that was never a good idea. People had to bring themselves back, fight the nightmares that tormented them themselves...only they could do that. "You're okay!"

Zarak was unsteady where he'd risen, and though Kiyan wanted to reach out and force him to lay back down before he did something to hurt himselfâ€"or Kiyanâ€"he knew touching him while he was like this was not a good idea; he'd belted Kiyan good, if accidentally, and if he thought he was being attacked...well, Kiyan figured that even unconscious, with those muscles, Zarak could do some damage. All he could do was fidget nervously, chewing his lip, until Zarak's body gave out again and he collapsed back down, still once again.

Thank Gods.

Kiyan waited a few minutes, listening to Zarak's breathing and watching his face, before he was convinced that he had drifted off again and felt safe enough to creep forward quietly and check on him, his heart still drumming away. That episode hadn't lasted very long, but it had come so suddenly and violently. And now...reaching out tentatively, Kiyan felt Zarak's forehead, fearing the sickness had only gotten worseâ€"or that Zarak would suddenly grab his wrist and snap it or somethingâ€"and was instead surprised to find his fever had gone down. And that his wrist came back whole.

He released the breath he'd been holding on one long exhalation.

The fever had broke. For now, Zarak's body had won the battle.

Shoulders slumping with relief and exhaustion, Kiyan reclaimed the rag that had fallen into the sand when he'd been knocked over, and rinsed it out in the water he'd been using on Zarak, then wrung it out and placed it on Zarak's forehead. Then he reclaimed his spot along the wall and sat there, now thoroughly awake, and rubbed his sore jaw.

Yeah...sleeping might not be a good idea...not if Zarak was going to have anymore visions...and Kiyan still felt a little jumpy and uneasy after that.

Goldie

His breathing sounded hoarse and strangled as the moisture in his lungs was aided by the rain that poured outside the small, dark cave.  It sounded like the ocean itself was trying to penetrate his lungs, slowly drowning him in a pool of stagnant, murky water.  It seemed that as his fever decreased, the ragged sound of his breaths became more and more noticeable, but it was still masked by the gentle buzz of raindrops sounding on the rocks.

The cold sweat that had accumulated over the entirety of his body ceased to increase, the small beads of sweat gently rolling off of his clamy skin onto the blankets that were beneath him.  His eyes moved behind his eyelids, showing that he was slowly coming out of the feverish sleep, nearly ready to wake up completely and recognize where he was and who he was with.

Darkness still clouded his mind as his hearing slowly began to return, waking his mind up with the hiss of rain and the crashing of waves that had rose on the shoreline and sounded as if they were nearly at the door of their small sanctuary.  The clouds distorted the light that had come from the moon, leaving the two figures in complete darkness with only their hearing and other senses to guide them should either of them attempt to move.

With a shattering cough, Zarak's eyes fluttered opened; darkness greeted by darkness.  But he knew that he was awake from the smell of the damp cave, the smell of his own sweaty body shivering in the chilled air, but it was no longer the shiver of fever.

But why was he so cold?  Even his teeth were chattering and he couldn't place it.

Pushing himself up into a sitting position he felt his arms tremble beneath his weight, obviously weak from the illness.  Positioning himself so his back rested against the cool stone walls, the moment he was fairly comfortable, another cough ripped through his throat, the coppery taste of blood falling lightly on his tongue.  Yet he though nothing of it.  He could have very well bit his lip or his tongue when he had been sleeping.

"K...Kiyan?" he asked, silently amazed at how raspy his voice sounded....as if he had been screaming.  But he couldn't worry about that now.  He was having a tough time seeing in the darkness and he wanted to make sure that his young friend was still nearby.  If he had, for some reason, gone out in the storm....or if he had left for Zarak's sake...in a storm like this....

God...he hoped that the kid was still there....

He didn't need help...he was fine!  The fever was already down!  And if he felt weird at all, it was the strong pulling in the back of his mind that echoed the storm around them, his powers warning him that there was a big storm overhead.

Well duh, he knew that now....but it was to be expected...if he was able to sense changes in weather from miles away, if a storm was right above him, the effects of his sixth sense would be ten times stronger now.

Damn...this was a nasty storm.  His mind was buzzing so loudly that he could barely focus on anything else.  Normally he was able to ignore it, or work through it, but now that he was just sitting there...it seemed like that was all he could focus on.  Hopefully it wouldn't last too much longer...and considering the heart of the storm was overhead, it shouldn't last for more than an hour....

Rhindeer

Kiyan still began to nod off as the hours rolled by, exhaustion setting in deep into his bones. After a while, he hardly even noticed the lightning claps, or the roar of water, or the dampening of the sand within the little cave as the sand outside was drenched, long since exeeding its capacity for holding water. He blinked and squinted, trying to force his eyes open, but then his eyes would slowly close, his chin would drop down toward his chest, and then he'd jerk awake with a start.

Ugh...he had to stay awake...just in case something happened. Zarak seemed out of the danger zone, at least for now, but other things could go wrong...and his condition was still unpredictable...he just...had...had to stay...

A shattering cough broke through the half-sleep he had drifted into, and Kiyan jolted awake with a soft gasp. Zarak. He forced his eyes open, and was greeted by blackness. Even the moon had been blotted out, but he could still hear well enough, even over the steady howl of the wind and thrashing of the waves. The palm frawn he had placed against the cave's entrace was rattling loudly against the stone, the wind trying to tear it away. He thought he'd heard Zarak call his name...but it was lost among the sounds, and it sounded...distorted, somehow.

"I'm right beside you," he said tiredly, but made sure to make his voice loud enough so as to carry over the storm.

He could no longer see Zarak, and so could no longer judge his condition based on sight, but his other senses were working. He reached out cautiously until his fingers came in contact with flesh and sweat. Flesh that was shivering horribly. He felt cool, or cooler compared to what he had been, and he had managed to pull himself into a sitting position, from what he could feel and hear--his harsh breathing was now almost level with his own head, though higher up, obviously, as Zarak was taller than him by a head or two.

He raised his hand, tracing lightly along his friend's body as he felt his chest. His heartbeat felt rapid. A little higher, and he felt his throat. He could feel the rumble of whatever it was that was clogging his airway, and he felt hot. Not dangerously hot, but...

Kiyan leaned his head in closer to Zarak, and scooted his body closer, as well. His breathing sounded awful, worse than it had before...and he could smell something faint on his friend's breath, something metallic and familiar. A pang of fear coursed through him suddenly, and his own body suddenly felt cold, and he suddenly felt far more awake.

"Zarak...are you bleeding?" he asked suddenly, trying to keep his voice steady. The fever currently wasn't cause for concern, but...but if he was bleeding...and especially if he was bleeding from the inside...and his breathing seemed to be getting worse. What if...what if he was no longer able to breathe? He wouldn't know what to do! And...Gods, it was a bad idea thinking he could handle this alone. What had he been thinking?! He didn't know what he was doing, and...he could very possibly be risking this man's life just because he was being a coward! "We...I don't know what I was thinking...you're bad, Zarak...we...we got to get you to my tribe, we...I can't do this..."