Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Anger of the Sea

Started by Goldie, June 07, 2005, 11:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

(ooc:  I realized about him feeling cold, it was because the fever's going down and Kiyan had taken the blankets off of him!  lol  I couldn't remember until I re-read it.  It's been so long!)

Zarak was relieved the moment that Kiyan spoke.  So he hadn't gone out into the storm.  That was very reasuring.  He couldn't place why, but he had grown quite fond of the boy and would have felt personally responsible if anything had happened to him.  And was it odd that he felt like he wanted to try and keep him safe?  It was almost like in the past few hours he had come to view Kiyan as a younger brother...and he wanted to look out for him.

That wasn't just a sense of justice was it?  The kid saved his life, so he felt obligated to repay the debt?

Nah....it couldn't be that.  Zarak had been in that situation before and had never felt this type of connection with any of the other men, or women.

Perhaps it was his naivety to the world...being secluded...or maybe it was a kinship amongst outcasts?  After all, Zarak knew only too well how it felt to be shunned by the "normal" people, the people he had grown up with...if they knew what he had become, they certainly would never talk to him again.

"Nah...nah, I'm fine." his voice was just as hoarse as it had been moments before.  He didn't want Kiyan to risk himself just because Zarak was feeling a bit under the weather...."I think....I think tha' I jus' bit my lip." he added, running his tongue around his mouth in hopes of locating the cut or scrape...or whatever.

"Hones'ly.....ye don' 'ave t'worry.  I'll b--" before he could finish his sentence another cough tore through his lungs, bringing up more blood mixed with phlegm, this time more apparent that he hadn't bit his lip...but he wasn't about to tell Kiyan that!  But...he wasn't sure he would need to...his breathing shouted that he had some sort of fluid in his lungs, and the coughs just enforced it.  And now, he sounded like he had been running for miles.  He couldn't get full breaths without choking.  The fever was down, but there was something bigger happening in his body...and he would bet all the money in the world it had to do with drifting out at sea for who knows how long....he had probably swallowed and breathed in enough sea water to last him a life time.....

"I'll be fine" he panted, "Don' ye worry yerself.  Jus'...jus' get some sleep...kay?" he could tell that Kiyan was exhausted from the sound of his voice.  The poor kid had probably been awake the entire time....however long he had been out in the feverish rage...."'asides...we...can' do...nothin' till there's light...." and that was true enough.  It wouldn't be good if they both found their way into the crashing waves instead of back inland.

Rhindeer

[OHHH! Oops. ^^;; Yeah, it has been a while. XD I forgot Kiyan took the blanket off...ahhhh!]

Kiyan was not convinced. "I'm fine"? He didn't sound fine with his voice the way it was and that cough and that fever he'd had! He didn't sound fine at all. He sounded like...like...

"You sound like you're drowning..." Kiyan said, fighting to keep his voice calm. But that's exactly what he sounded like. It sounded like his lungs were filling with water and he was struggling in vain to keep his head above the surface, sucking down what air he could before his head was submerged again. He was choking, coughing, and the liquid was bubbling in his throat...and Kiyan felt himself growing steadily more afraid. If he didn't get Zarak taken care of, would he really drown? Not in the sea, of course, but in whatever liquid his own body was forcing into his lungs?

Zarak spoke sense only in one area: that he couldn't really go out there in the heat of the storm, not without at least the moon to guide him. And he certainly couldn't take Zarak with the rain and wind tearing up outside; he hadn't been thinking very far in that respect. He wouldn't be able to support Zarak very well in those conditions, and Zarak would just get even more liquid down his lungs, but...but he could probably make it alone. He knew the way decent enough, he could probably find his way back in the dark. Then he could go to his tribe and bring them to Zarak, and he could at least get some help until the storm cleared enough for them to bring him out of here.

Unless any Midra or other nocturnal predators were lurking about...but he didn't know if they would go out in a storm. He only knew if he went out and they decided a storm didn't bother them, his dagger would be useless and he'd be dead alone.

And if something happened to him, Zarak...

He sighed. One thing was for certain: he couldn't sleep. He was exhausted and his jaw ached, but there was no way he could sleep when he was worried if Zarak would only be worse off when he awoke.

Feeling around, he found the blanket he had previously stripped off his companion in order to cool him down and pulled it back up to cover Zarak, remembering his shivering. "I can't sleep...Zarak, you can feel the weather, right? Can you tell when the moon will be visible again?" He shook his head, and even if the action couldn't be seen, the clicking of his necklace could be heard. "You're getting worse...I'm gonna get help once the moon is out again."

Despite the exhaustion and worry in his own voice, there was also a subtle hint of stubborness there, too, that hadn't been there before. And finality and resignation. He knew what going back meant for him, but...but Zarak was drowning, and he wasn't going to just sit there and watch helplessly as he worsened. He could die. Kiyan wouldn't be able to live with himself if that happened...he hadn't even known the man that long, but already he was like...like a brother to him. Even more than that, maybe, as the word "brother" didn't mean too much to him since his own brothers had never gotten all that close to him. He was the youngest by eight years--the unplanned one of the family--so when he'd still been harrassing girls, they'd been courting girls. Then they'd gotten their own families, so...he'd just never been a big part of their lives. Sure, they'd been helping him out since their mother died, which had left him on his own...but it was in a kind of formal, obligated sense.

He knew Zarak better than he knew his own brothers. And could relate to him better than anyone in his own tribe.

And that meant, well, in order to help him, he just had to make a sacrifice. That was all...wasn't like it was life or death for Kiyan, really, but it certainly was for Zarak. He wasn't about to risk his friend's life just because he was afraid for himself.

It wasn't too big of a deal, really, anyway...yeah...and...he couldn't hide forever, right...?
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

"Wha!??!" Zarak exclaimed, sitting straight up from his slunched over position.  There was no way that he would let Kiyan go back there if his people were going to ruin his life!  Not to mention it was still storming!  It didn't matter that the storm was winding down....He shouldn't go out at night anyway!

"Ye can't!" he cried out again, immediately wishing that he had kept his voice down when another ragged cough tore through his mouth.  He tried to stay upright, but found that was nearly impossible with his whole body shaking through the coughs.  This time they lasted longer than the last time and this time he could feel his lungs screaming.  Each time he coughed, the pain increased making him pull his knees up to his chest and hugging them tightly in order to stabalize himself.

After the fit subsided he leaned back onto the cave wall, breathing heavily through the fluid in his lungs, the infection making it harder and harder to breathe.

"I..I don' wan' ...ye t'go back if ye don'....don' 'ave to." he stuttered.  Even breathing had started to become painful.  He could feel the moisture around him helping to increase the pain.  Part of him wanted to beg Kiyan to go.....but he knew that even if his life was in danger, he would never want to have that kid risk everything for a stranger....

After all...that's what they were to each other weren't they?  Strangers?

But he didn't feel like strangers...they had told each other so much that they couldn't possibly strangers now, could they?

He didn't know anymore, and it was beginning to hurt his head, thinking this much.  He was exhausted, even after however long he was out mentally, but apparently his body had still been working, making it unable to find rest in the feverish sleep.  Yet, he knew that he probably shouldn't fall asleep, not when he was almost positive that something was more than wrong with his body.  Coughing up blood was certainly not something that was normal....but...it was still dark, so Kiyan hadn't seen it yet....perhaps he could still lie his way through it until it was light at least....

"The storm'll be over..." he paused, feeling the storm in his mind.  The buzzing that was the change in weather was slowly beginning to lesson, and was a lot less than what it had been when the storm had been directly overhead, "I'd say...10....15 minutes."

By that one answer he knew that he was asking for help without actually saying anything, but he still wanted to try and keep Kiyan here!

"Bu'...I don' wan' ye t'go if ye'll get inta trouble." and that was certainly the truth...but he had noted the stubborness beneath the kid's words and nothing that he could say would make things go a different way..."Jus'....if ye 'ave t'go....let me go with ye....I can walk...an' I don' wan' ye t'go alone...."

Rhindeer

[*mumbles a string of certain curses* I HATE EVIL WEIRD KEYBOARD COMMANDS THAT MAKE ME GO BACK A PAGE AND RANDOMLY LOSE MY ALMOST-COMPLETED POST! *huffhuff* I feel better now. ^^;;]

Kiyan could have laughed if the situation weren't so dire, but instead settled for wincing in sympathy and ever-growing concern as Zarak's outburst lead to a series of painful-sounding, hacking coughs, a fit that lasted longer, and was far more violent, than any of the previous ones. Still, Kiyan could hardly believe what he was hearing: Zarak was telling him that he couldn't go fetch him help when his own condition was growing worse by the second, and after he had just survived a hallucinatory fever and sounded like his lungs had the ocean in them?

On one hand, Kiyan felt a swell of contentment and appreciation within him at knowing that Zarak was sincerely worried about him, but on the other hand...was Zarak crazy?! Kiyan was just worried that Zarak could die on him, and Zarak was still insisting that he was fine?! But his breathing was worsening...and all Kiyan could think about was if he would suffocate if something wasn't done. He knew nothing about this kind of stuff! He'd never seen anything like this before! It was a horrible feeling.

"Ten minutes...?" Whew. That was a lot less time than he had been fearing (and he'd just aim for ten minutes; fifteen was too long!). But...Zarak wanted to go with him? Well...that did make sense...Kiyan didn't feel comfortable leaving Zarak alone in the state he was in, but he also didn't know if the trip would be too much for him. It was a few miles to his tribe, and the terrain would be muddy and grass slippery. He said he could walk, but would it be too much exertion? He could hardly breathe!

Gods, and was he glad he hadn't fled too far from his tribe. He had thought about going farther away, but decided to stay close, where it would be a convenient distance to cover if he needed to get more supplies. Man, was it paying off now.

"Okay...we'll leave now, then. By the time we get you up and situated, about that much time should pass. It's a few miles, though...do you think you can do that? If it becomes too much along the way, you can rest somewhere and I'll go the rest of the way...alright?" He was still surprised at how calm he sounded, even though his heart was thundering in his eardrums, fearful for a lot of reasons. He didn't want to go back. He really didn't. All the while he'd been here, though, he'd known deep down that he'd have to go back eventually and that he had only been prolonging everything, maybe even making it worse. Whatever the case, prior to Zarak, the lonliness had been driving him insane, and he knew nothing about surviving on his own. He couldn't live forever on mussels. And that idea about mussel-shells, about placating the tribe by offering up goods that they could trade with the travellers that visited their own tribe every now and then? What a joke...he could never produce enough shells that would be enough to interest them, and he had to admit, he'd gone about that task more out of desperation than practicality.

He'd go back, and...running away again wouldn't be an option. He'd probably be handed right over to the other tribe this time and let them decide what to do with him, and as they were the "wronged" tribe, and had overall seemed just plain a lot more strict...he'd be stuck. Then he'd be taken to their land, and he'd be unfamiliar with it, and...it would just be very difficult...impossible maybe...and he'd just be in more trouble. They were going to be so pissed with him as it was...

But...it was a lot less serious than dying! And, well, all that was bound to happen anyway, right? Zarak was in graver danger than he was, and that was what counted. Soft-hearted Kiyan couldn't have even turned his back on a complete stranger, and Zarak, for all the short time he'd known him, had become far more than a mere stranger.

He was a friend...

As long as they could save him...that's what made it all worth it. Though...this whole thing was depressing...he liked Zarak...now he'd probably never see him again after this...

He sighed. Oh well...as long as he got better.

"I'd get in trouble anyway...don't worry about it." Still sounded calm. Probably because he was very sleep deprived right now. A little anxiety had finally wormed its way into his voice, but for the most part, he was still calm and tired. In sound, at least. "Alright...cover up with the blanket...it's probably gonna be cold out there," he instructed, reaching out blindly and helping as best he could. "Um...actually...wait...I think your clothes were over...ah, here. Think you can put some of them on? It'll help keep the cold from you. Need help?"

He couldn't see, but he could feel, and it hardly mattered if they were on right so long as he could move, anyway.

Outside, he could hear the rain growing lighter, softening...
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

Zarak nodded slowly, forgetting that there was no way the movement would be noted in the darkness of the cave.  Without another word he attempted to stand, using the cave wall for balance.  His legs felt like jelly but he wasn't about to let Kiyan realize how weak he felt.  It was bad enough that he was risking everything just to get a ship wrecked man help, he wasn't about to force Kiyan to help him walk a mile in the last bits of a pretty powerful storm!

"Yeah....I..I think tha' I can get 'em on fine..." he panted, reaching blindly in the darkness until his hands found the clothes that Kiyan was offering to him.  And just as blindly slip on his undergarments and breeches.  Upon feeling the boots, he found that they were still pretty wet, but reasoned that walking through areas that he didn't know...some sort of coverings on his feet would definitely be a good thing.  It would be bad to tear up his feet, making it even harder to make the journey.

"An'...ye said...a mile?" he asked as he buttoned and tied the last bit of his pants, beginning to pull his boots over his feet, ignoring the stockings he had been wearing because they too were still damp and would just help to make things more uncomfortable.  "I can...I can walk a mile..." he added after a brief pause to catch his breath.  The coughs were becoming more frequent, but none of them were as bad as they had been before although each slight one brought more phlegm and blood to the back of his mouth.  As long as they took things slowly he was positive that he could make the journey without any incidents.

Finished getting dressed, Zarak took the blanket that Kiyan had draped over him and pulled it around his shoulders as Kiyan had prompted.  He still felt chilled from the fever, but was glad that it was a lot lower than it had been before.  At least now he could see straight and the only thing he needed to worry about was pacing his breath to last him for the mile or so it would take them to travel to Kiyan's village.

And he still felt horrible about it...he felt like he was forcing his friend to go back....and ultimately he would felt responsible for anything that would be forced upon Kiyan.....after all, he wouldn't have to go back if it hadn't been for Zarak.

"I'm ready..." he murmured after a few minutes struggle between the boots sticking to his legs, "Kiyan..." he added as an after thought, "I owe ye my life....I won' let 'em do nothin' t'ye."  it was an empty promise...especially if he was sick when they shipped Kiyan off to do his time or whatever would be done to the kid....but he would certainly try, of that much he was certain.

Rhindeer

Kiyan frowned in the darkness, concerned and not too certain how true Zarak's statement was, for all the confidence he was trying to project. His body sounded like it disagreed with his words, but it was a chance they had to take. A mile or so wasn't too bad...and it was better than leaving him here alone unsupervised. In his condition, that could be especially dangerous. This way, he could at least look after him.

He listened and waited patiently as Zarak dressed in the dark, listening to the rustle of fabric of his many layers of clothes and waiting to see if he needed help. He was coughing an awful lot...and that much coughing could take a lot out of you, and fevers...whenever he had gotten sick, no matter how much he slept, he had never felt rested in the least. He really hoped this wouldn't be too much of a strain on Zarak's already taxed body...and he really hoped the moisture in the air wouldn't make matters any worse. But staying here unaided would be just as bad, even worse...

As Zarak tended to his dressing, Kiyan felt around in the dark until he located his sandals, and slipped them on. He didn't need to wear them around here, save on hot days when the sand would burn, but the terrain around his village wasn't so...soft, and in the dark, it could be a literal pain. In the daytime, it was no big deal; he went barefoot all the time.

He finished blindly tying the laces of his sandals, which wrapped about his ankles, and securing his skirt by the time Zarak announced that he was ready. Rising to his feet himself, he was navigating his way to the cave entrance to remove the mini baracade when Zarak spoke again. It was sprinkling lightly outside now; Kiyan could just glimse the outside world through a small gap. Thunder was rumbling in the distance, but a patch of sky had cleared just enough to reveal a sliver of the moon. Just enough to cast down some light. Kiyan tore the palm frawn down, and the sim, dilluted light filtered into the cave, bright in contrast to the previous pitch black.

Whew...it was still bad light, but at least they wouldn't be fumbling so much. And hopefully more of the sky would clear soon.

He paused to look back at Zarak, already in the process of pushing out the small boulder. "Really?" He felt almost guilty for allowing himself to hope. Zarak could be dying and he was worried about himself? Jeez...and...he wasn't doing any of this because he expected anything in return...and...he didn't want Zarak to feel obligated to do anything...or get involved in that whole mess. But he couldn't help but secretly hope that he meant that. Even if it didn't make much of a difference in the end...and afterall...it wasn't like Zarak could get in trouble himself for saying anything. He wasn't part of their tribe, and thus wasn't bound to their rules--they couldn't get offended if he said something they didn't like.

Some small particle of relief worked its way through him, easing his dread at returning. At least he'd have someone to speak up for him...someone who had actually listened and believed him.

It was crazy that someone he'd just met knew him and trusted him more than those he had always known...

Even if the attempt wasn't successful...just what Zarak had said...it meant more to him than the man could ever know.

"Thank you, Zarak..." he said quietly...and then he quickly went back to shoving the boulder out of the way. Gyah, he couldn't get distracted...he had to get Zarak help first, right? That was the most important matter.

Once that task was finished, he returned to Zarak and offered to help support him as he lead him out. "It's sprinkling still, but it's not too bad..."

Ick, so much for calm. Now that they were finally on the move, he could feel his nerves acting up again. He took a deep breath. Each step would be a step closer to home, and a step closer to, well...whatever it was that had been decided.

He really hoped that line about marrying that widow had been a joke just to scare him...

[har har...I'm thinking of coming up with another word for what it is Kiyan wears. Skirt just sounds silly to me, and I was too lazy to rename it. Same concept though, eh? *random picky ramble* XDD]

Goldie

Zarak hesitated before taking the offered shoulder.  He didn't want to give Kiyan any more reason to worry, and putting his weight on the young boys shoulders would definitely not help the situation...but it would make the going a lot faster.  At least he would have some support system if he needed it...or if he was forced to use it ...

But for now, he just put his arm around Kiyan's shoulders and used him as more of a stability system then anything else.  He could walk mostly on his own for now...and he would continue to try until he slipped and fell, or until he passed out from whatever sickness plagued his lungs.

"Yer...yer a good kid...Kiyan" he huffed as they slowly began their way outside the dark cave.  Even the single ray of moonlight seemed bright enough to light up a ballroom after the complete darkness of the cave.  It was like he had grown new eyes and was seeing things again for the first time in ages.  The rain had given everything a silvery sheen and the slight drizzle that was still falling from the slowly disappearing clouds continued the gentle song of nature...of course, adding to the buzzing at the back of Zarak's mind that was his magic.

The sand was much easier to walk on now that it was soaked completely through.  It felt almost solid under his feet which was great.  At least he wouldn't have to worry about sinking and losing his balance while he and Kiyan made their way to...wherever his village was...

Another cough, followed a few minutes later by another.  Zarak found himself spitting out the blood that came to his lips rather than swallow it.  They were outside now and there was no way he wanted whatever his body wanted to get rid of, back inside of him.  He had heard from some villages that coughing meant he was getting rid of demons, but the pirate agreed more with the people he had grown up with; coughing was a need of the body.  When something wasn't right, you'd cough, or sneeze.  Not too complicated, and made perfect sense.

But of course, Zarak was biased because he didn't believe in demons or any type of godly figure.  He prefered to view the world as it was.  He had no need to know who and what created it, and what made everything happen.  Things happened, and people moved on, and if they didn't they were fools.  Once he died?  hell, he couldn't care less if he went to some heaven or otherworld.  His life would be over and if he kept thinking about "doing this and that" for some god, his life would be over before he ever actually lived.

Nope...so much better to just be Zarak.  No strings attached.

He stumbled, having not been paying attention to the change in terrain as they slowly moved innland.  He had no idea what direction they were heading, and it was still too dark to make out farther than a few feet infront of them.  Leaning a bit more of Kiyan, Zarak found his footing again and slowly straightened, slouching over with the blanket drapped across his shoulders.

He was glad that he had listened to Kiyan and taken the blanket.  It certainly was cold out here.  And he was almost postive that he would have been colder if the rain didn't have the covering to block his exposed torso from their chilled drops.

Then something hit him.

"Kiyan..." he muttered, leaning a bit closer to make sure that the kid could hear his husky voice through the hum of the rain and wind, "When...when we get t'yer village....don' tell 'em...'em tha' I'ma pirate."  he paused for breath, aware that each movement foreward made his breathing heavier until it sounded like he was running when in reality they were only taking a few steps every few seconds, "If...if they know more'n ye..'bout us...ye'll be in more...more trouble....and I..I doubt they'll 'elp."

Rhindeer

Though Kiyan couldn't see very well, he could navigate the terrain well enough. He'd come here all the time prior to his self-imposed exile, for it had been one of his favorite areas. It was private, alone, secluded. No one really came down here, and he kept it a secret. People probably knew about it, but probably just weren't interested. It wasn't a good area for swimming or fishing, for the water was far more turbulant here, never calm. There was a bay closer to their village and that was the favored spot, so what reason did people have to come here? Well, unless they were like Kiyan and ran away a lot.

Lucky for that, or Kiyan wouldn't have been able to navigate too easily through the darkness.

He was patient with Zarak as they walked slowly, wet, solid sand soon giving way to hard, impacted soil and bright foliage (or it would have been bright had it been day) as they moved, slowly but steadily, away from the sea and further inland. He heard and felt every cough that wracked Zarak's body, and heard him spitting, but he only firmed up his grip on Zarak to try and keep him from stumbling when the sickness made his body convulse.

He...was a "good kid"? The words stuck with him. That had to be the first time he'd heard that from anyone. Anyone else in his tribe would call him...problematic. Irresponsible, rebellious, free-loader, now a defiler...he'd heard any amount of things, lots of critisisms. But never that he was "good". Nothing he did ever seemed good enough...it was always wrong in some way. It was no wonder he'd stopped trying when trying hadn't been good enough anyway...

Zarak obviously saw differently, and...it made him dread returning all the more.

But Zarak trusted him, saw him how he hoped others would see him, and said he would try and help. Even if it didn't work out...well, Zarak insisted on repaying him, and truth be told but just that equal trust in return was payment enough.

The further they walked, the heavier Kiyan could feel his own steps become, partly because he truly was exhausted and Zarak's weight was starting to bear down on him, and partly because reluctance was truly beginning to settle in. It wasn't much farther...not much farther at all. Even with their slow, careful steps, even with their painfully slow progress, it seemed time was both flying by at a horrifying rate and dragging along at a snail's pace. It was a horrible conflicting feeling...wanting to return as fast as he could to get Zarak taken care of, but wishing he could put it off. He shrugged lightly, shifting Zarak's weight, and forced himself to keep on trudging, but not so fast as to be problematic for his companion.

He could almost see the firelight from the village huts flickering in the distance, even though he knew no flames would be burning outside with the wind and rain. And even though he knew they were some distance away. He shivered lightly, partly from the cold water beading along his bare torso, dampening his hair and skirt that the wind only continued to freeze, and partly because of, well...obvious reasons.

It was then that Zarak leaned into him, his hoarse, husky voice just carrying over the hymn of nature.

And Kiyan's tired green eyes widened slightly in remembrance. "Oh...I won't say a word," he said hurriedly, shaking his head. "I promised not to...our secret. Don't worry," he assured Zarak as he listened to his harsh breathing. He doubted they'd know, anyway...or he hoped. The only one he was really worried about was the shaman, but she always worried him. She seemed to know everything. But, that was only because Kiyan tended to get in trouble with her a lot...Zarak had no reason to be wary of her, though.

Kiyan didn't look forward to meeting her again. But...she would be the one to help Zarak, and she was the very same woman who helped him whenever he was ill or injured.

It was a love-hate relationship of sorts.

Kiyan didn't know how much longer it was before, finally, the first village huts came into view...

And Kiyan could feel his muscles tightening reflexively. The village was dark and empty, save for a few quick, moving shadows that were cats. But other than that, it was still, and he could see no light--all windows had been boarded up for the storm, windows which were basically just mere holes in the walls; it was normally warm here, so there was really no need to keep everything closed up, save for storms.

Kiyan swallowed hard, but kept on walking. It was cold out here, and every minute spent out here was another minute for Zarak to get worse. "Well...we're here," he announced, forcing his voice to sound cheery. "Now...we just have to go a little farther...to the shaman's..."

He made no attempt to keep his voice lowered. There was no point, now. He was going to be discovered anyway, so...if someone came out at this point, it just meant someone could help out.

Another deep breath. Oh well...it...it couldn't be all that bad...right...?

Goldie

Zarak could feel his weight starting to bear down on Kiyan, and he was silently surprised to see how much he had shifted his weight, after promising himself that he would try and make the journey with as little help as possible from.  So much for that hope...at least they hadn't both collapsed yet.  He could tell that Kiyan was exhausted and wanted more than anything for his little friend to get some real sleep, even if when he woke he had to face the morning.

He tried to shift more of his weight off of Kiyan, but found that was draining him of what energy he had left and if that continued he definitely wouldn't make it to the village before he collapsed...and if he could at least make it that far...then...then perhaps things would actually turn out well.

For both of them, not just for himself.  Zarak knew that he would do everything in his power to make sure that the tribe didn't do something to Kiyan that would ruin his life.  He had already suffered so much through this ordeal, and now he was nursing a stranger back to health....that had to count for something, didn't it?

Unless the whole tribe is filled with stuffed shirts who wouldn't be able to see past the fact that Kiyan had "run away from his responsibilities".  From the stories that Kiyan had told, Zarak wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly how they were.  He'd be punished for his lack of responsibility...then everything would be that much worse....

Well jolly happy day.  This was going to be an interesting visit....especially if Zarak was forced to kidnap Kiyan in the hopes the tribe would forget about Kiyan's wrongs and focus mainly on his own.

Yeah....that'd be great.....

Get help from a tribe you've never been to before, and then kidnap one of their people.  Why not leave a ransom note while he was at it?  It'd certainly make him look like a complete bastard...the type of person most people assotiate with pirates.

But....he would do it, if that was the only way to get Kiyan away.  Of course, he'd try other things before he stooped to theivery.

He looked up as Kiyan announced their arrival.  Zarak was actually glad they were finally here...his coughs had become more ragged in the humidity of the night and he could feel his legs wobbling with each step.  He was physically exhausted and just want to sleep...he probably could just curl up right there in the middle of the path and that would be it....

Just a little farthur he told himself silently as they made their way through the village towards the shaman.

Rhindeer

Even in the darkness he could make out the particular hut. The one he was about as familiar with as he was his own home. Oh yes...he'd visited this particular home more times than he would have liked. But to be fair, he was sure it frustrated Okonwe as much as it frustrated him.

It wasn't like the shaman was the primary authority of the village. She was not one of the leaders, but she might as well have been on the same level for the respect that was given her;even the leaders consulted her every now and then, for in addition to a healer, she was a spiritual, and thus moral, authority. But none of that was what really made it so bad for Kiyan. Truth be told...it was the fact that he was an orphan that did it. At least, that's what Kiyan had decided. His mother and father gone, and brothers with families of their own, she had taken it upon herself to play a hand in raising him. There weren't many orphans in the village, and those that were orphans weren't as old as he was. That was why his brothers helped him but didn't actually take him in--he was old enough to take care of himself, and he needed to learn how to do it.

Yet, at the same time, he was, according to anyone older than him of course, at an "awkward age", whatever that meant. Well, according to the same people that said he was at an awkward age, it meant he needed guidance, because apparently he didn't have any. And apparently, they'd decided he lacked guidance because he didn't live up to their idea of what they thought he should be. He was "drifting", according to them.

Who else to be his mentor than the shaman herself? His brothers agreed it was a good idea to give him direction, so it was done. And when they said "give him direction", they really meant "tackle him down, tie him up, and drag him down whatever path you deem best for him".

That had been fun...

Then, of course, there was the more recent debacle with Maricha...which she far from took his side on...

This would be fun...

Before long, they were right in front of Okonwe's home, a smallish hut with a roof thatched with dried leaves and raised off the ground by stilts, in the fashion of all their homes. It wasn't so much a deterrant for predators--a raised home wouldn't stop those--but from more violent prey animals, such as wild boars. Those things would tear up an unoccupied home if it was on the same level as them, vacant or occupied. Wearily, Kiyan eyed the ladder-style stairs that lead the way up. This would be a bit of a struggle for them...but if anything, they'd make enough noise to get her attention before they even had to tap on the door.

"Think you can make this?" he asked, but before Zarak could answer, he was already struggling to get them both up there. And, as he had mentally predicted, the effort was making a racket.

Before they were even halfway up, the door opened abruptly, washing Kiyan and his companion in dim candle light, though it was brighter than what it was outside. A woman, no older than her mid-thirties, stood in the doorway, thin and not very tall with a long, thick braid that hung down to her waist. A blanket was clutched around her shoulders to ward off the night's chill, and she stared out into the darkness blearily--or more pointedly, stared at them, lips half parted in an unspoken question. Clearly, she was still waking. She stared a few more seconds, and Kiyan waited stiffly, feeling the beginnings of a cringe coming on as he watched sleepiness wear off and recognition dawn. No, no...don't look at him yet...look at Zarak...he was the sick one...no lecture yet...please none of that already...

"...Kiyan?" She ventured, squinting. He winced despite himself and regretted it, because that confirmed her guess right away. Not that she wouldn't have known for sure once he was more in the light. "My Gods, Kiyan, where have--who's that?" Her focus switched over to Zarak, and her eyes widened a few increments as she took in his condition with a healer's keen eye. "Oh dear..."

And it wasn't a moment later before she was out the door and helping them struggle up the rest of the way up. Then, she was whisking them inside and directing Kiyan over to her own bed, a soft cot located in a corner of the spaceous room. "Lay him there, I'll be right back. And don't you think about going anywhere, Kiyan. I believe we have some catching up to do," she warned as she vanished into an adjacent room, which was separated by a cloth divider, and went about gathering up fresh blankets as well as clothes. As though he would leave Zarak...and as though he even could leave now. He'd only ever been able to run away when no one was looking. If he tried to split and she hollered, someone would tackle him down. If not her.

When she was finished, she set the bundle she'd gathered at the foot of her bed, and set on Zarak right away, peeling off his damp clothes before even blinking an eye. Obviously, she figured he was too sick to be modest, and herself? She was too no-nonsense to care if he decided to shirk. Once undressed, she used one thinner blanket as a towel and began to dry him, wiping away old sweat and rain and toweling his hair. She used the remaining blankets to bundle him up snugly.

"Good thing you brought him in. He's in bad shape," she told Kiyan as she straightened and used her one lit candle to light a few others in the room, brightening up the space nicely. Then she stooped back down beside the cot to examine his companion. Kiyan waited and watched, fidgeting with his necklace, anxious and tense for so many reasons, and exhausted enough that he wanted to just drop down right there and sleep. He couldn't sleep, though. He wanted to hear what was wrong with Zarak, and...sleeping only brought morning along faster.

Well, no matter what he thought, he was starting to doze off even as he stood there, but the shaman's voice brought him back. "Mm...bad indeed. His lungs are bleeding and filled with phlegm. His breathing is atrocious...no fever now though, thank Gods. How long has he been like this?" Other questions, as to who he was and what Kiyan was thinking running off would come later. But for now, she was running on a healer's instincts, and those instincts said to tend to the sick before anything else.

Kiyan shifted awkwardly, blinking wearily. "Since...earlier today..."

"Should have brought him in sooner," she said simply as she rose again, and as Kiyan blanched, she shook her head quickly. "No, no...it's not too late. I've seen worse. Come here." She had walked over to where she kept her supplies, and she picked up a knife from a small table. "Go out and get some avase, and peel off the skin while you're at it. And for God's sake, dry off when you get back. Can't have you getting sick, too," she said as she handed him the knife, which reminded him abruptly that he'd left his own behind. "You run, Kiyan, and I swear I'll have you switched like a toddler," she added. And meant it.

Then she went back to gathering up and combining the needed supplies, while Kiyan went outside, feeling like a nervous zombie, to quietly to carry out the task.

When he returned, carving off the last remnants of the green, thin, outer skin off the thick plant shoot, Okonwe had already created whatever concoction she had deemed would be best and had mixed it into a cup filled with water. She carefully raise Zarak up so he could drink. "This will help with the infection, help loosen the phlegm. It's bitter, but you need to drink it, and more water afterward, too. You need your liquids. Kiyan, the avase."

After she had gotten the medicine down Zarak, she covered him up again and placed the skinned plant shoot under his chin. It gave off a strong scent, almost akin to mint, and the vapors would also help with his breathing.

That finished, she sat back on her heels and rubbed at her eyes sleepily. "I'll have to perform a cleansing rite tonight as well...it'll take more than herbs to help him. Kiyan, I told you to dry off. Dry off and go to sleep. We'll talk in the morning."

Kiyan was too tired to debate, and he wouldn't have wanted to debate, anyway; he was wet, and he was cold, and despite everything, his body was begging for rest. She had everything under control now...

Half-awake, he picked up the blanket she'd used to dry Zarak and toweled off his damp hair and water sprinkled flesh, but that was about as far as he got. He didn't even bother to get a fresh blanket or change. He simply curled up on the floor near Zarak's bed, wrapped up in that semi-damp blanket--which he was too sleepy to realize kind of defeated the purpose--and fell asleep, leaving Okonwe to tend to Zarak through the night. For the moment, at least, he was no longer afraid or nervous...

He only had to worry about the morning.

Goldie

He didn't know how he had even gotten up the first half of the stairs but it seemed like hours before he could even say he had moved at all.  His legs started refusing his weight with each passing moment, and the cough seemed to quicken and become worse as he strained himself to move upward.  He was disoriented, slipping periodically on the wet wood.

When the door opened, he felt dumb and slow as his brain fumbled to process exactly what was going on.  Kiyan had taken him to the village...he needed help and this was were they were going to get it....but...what...who...was at the door?  Did they hear the two figures bungling up the stairs towards the door?

Kiyan? he thought stupidly.  This woman knows him!

And then he remembered.  Of course, they were going to the Shaman, she would heal him and from the sound of her voice, reprimand the kid as well.  Zarak hoped that she would be rational...and if she wasn't, that he would be well enough to argue for his friend.  He hated the thought that he would be so out of it that he wouldn't even be able to do anything but learn about Kiyan's fate after it was too late.

The Shaman helped him up the last of the steps and within a few moments both he and Kiyan were swept inside the room.  Everything else happened in a haze as he was stripped of his clothes, once again, and toweled down to get the beads of water off of his skin.  When the towel swiveled across his head, the curls exploded into a frizzy mass of curls, but he couldn't care less.  At least now it would begin to dry and he wouldn't have to worry about being completely cold like he was now.  Without any clothes he found that he began shivering until the other blankets that the woman had brought in wrapped him up and he found himself lying down again.

Compared to the cave floor, this cot was like he was sleeping on clouds of cotton.  He wanted to fall asleep...to drift off, but the moment his eyes closed another cough ripped through him, bringing even more amounts of blood into his mouth and for a moment he nearly choked on it before realizing that he couldn't breathe it in....and it wouldn't be very polite to cough blood all over a strangers house...but...he couldn't swallow it either, that would be just as bad...

He didn't have much time to contemplate the curteousies of coughing blood on someone's floor before another cough rose and his body convulsed to his side and the blood slapped onto the floor.  Each breath was painful now and his breaths sounded even worse than they had before.  Wheezing through the infected phlegm and blood, his lungs swollen and body working with an effort to ride itself of the infectius fluids.

Blinking with slight confusion, Zarak allowed the shaman to lift him to a sitting position and choked down the liquid that was offered before he was laid down again.  He was surprised again as something was placed on his collarbone, a pungent aroma wafting through his nostrils.  Almost immediately it felt easier to breath, although the pain in his chest was still constant as the infection attacked from the inside.

"T...thank you..." he managed to say between coughs and wheezes.  And then another thought hit him.  If he didn't say something now then he might not be well enough to say something later.

"D....don'...be hard on...'im" he choked, "He's...good....good.." he couldn't get anymore out.  The hike to get to the village had been enough to take him from bad to worse...but perhaps he would have gotten just as bad had he stayed in the cave and then they would have been far....to far away for help.

Without another word, his mind slipped away into a hazy half sleep, slipping in and out of consciousness....

Rhindeer

Okonwe smiled fondly at the man's final words before drifting away...but then she sighed quietly when she couldn't find the blanket she'd been using to dry and clean everyone, and found Kiyan asleep and wrapped up in it--even though there were fresh blankets right next to him. Scooting over to him, she disentangled him from the blanket, frowned when she found his clothes damp, and bundled him up in a fresh blanket. He must have been really tired to be that oblivious...then again, he was often oblivious. She frowned again when she noticed the bruise blossoming along his jaw; clumsy as always, too.

Shaking her head, she lifted him up a little and pillowed another blanket under his head, then, satisfied, went back to Zarak and began cleaning up the blood, including any that remained on his person. She'd have to watch him through the night, and perform the healing, as well, and while she was perfectly used to functioning on very little sleep, the latter would take it out of her. He wouldn't heal easily on his own from this, though, and with the way his condition was and the way it was progressing, it had to be done. She was weak in the ability, but at least she could stabilize him and jumpstart his recovery. Hopefully she could stop that bleeding, kill the infection...she was most concerned with that. She thought she saw pus in his phlegm...

Placing a hand lightly on his forehead, she closed her eyes and concentrated.

Perhaps it was good she was weak in the ability, for at least then no one asked questions. It would be too suspicious if someone recovered too quickly.

---

When Kiyan awoke, bright late morning sunshine was beaming in through the opened windows and a fresh, soothing breeze was wafting in. He could feel warm, soft blankets all around him, and a small jolt of surprise went through him. The last thing he remembered was passing out on a hard floor; he didn't remember so much softness and warmth, but one thing was for certain--he didn't want to move just yet.

He closed his eyes against the light and wriggled down deeper into the blankets, cheek pillowed against equally soft, cushiony cloth. Gods, but it felt like so long since he'd slept on anything but sand--wait.

His eyes fluttered open, and the interior of a clean, if cluttered, hut filled his vision, herbs and powders and feathers and stones displayed on various little tables and shelves. He could smell something cooking in the other room, which he recognized as stew, and he could feel his mouth watering despite himself. As long as it didn't have mussels in it...he thought that if he saw a mussel ever again, he'd die. But...wait...this wasn't right...he wasn't supposed to be...

Oh no.

He jerked up, suddenly fully awake when he realized where he was, and when the events from the day before fully impacted him. Oh no...Okonwe...he was...and Zarak! He turned his head quickly to the side, and saw his companion bundled up in the cot right next to him; he had curled up at the cot's foot on the floor. Good...he was still there...but...was he okay?

He heard a clacking in the other room, the tell-tale sound of a wooden bowl being filled, and a split-second debate ran through his head: pretend to still be asleep, or not. Gyah...pretending to sleep would only put things off...not prevent it. And he wanted to know how Zarak was, anyway. And...and he wasn't a coward! That seemed cowardly. Yeah...so...no faking it. His stomach gave a soft rumble. Erg...and if he was lucky, maybe he'd at least get some soup...

Drawing his knees to his chest and hitching the blankets up around him, Kiyan waited tensely until Okonwe finally stepped back into the room, a steaming bowl in her hand and looking quite weary, which was odd for her. She paused when she saw he was awake. "Hungry?" she offered, quietly so as not to disturb Zarak, and Kiyan lowered his head against his knees and nodded slowly like a skittish puppy, his green eyes big. She only smiled wryly and shook her head, then held out the bowl she'd been carrying to him. "You should be. You certainly look like you've lost weight, and there wasn't much of you there before." When he took the bowl, she vanished back into the other room to dish herself up a bowl, then returned and sat down across from him.

Kiyan just stared intently at his stew, studying the different chunks and poking around at them with a wooden spoon as he waited for it to cool enough to eat. There was maize and beans and rice and some sort of meat that looked like fish. No mussels. It smelled wonderful...but the quiet in the room--or at least the absense of words--was really awkward. "Um...is...is Zarak gonna be...?" he began weakly, still staring at the stew.

"Ah, so that's his name. Good to know. Yes...I watched over him all night, and he should, Gods willing, be doing much better today than he was when you brought him here. He'll pull through; he's lucky. How do you know him, anyway? He certainly isn't anyone from around here."

Kiyan was surprised she wasn't hitting him with the hard stuff first, and after nervously swallowing a bite of stew--it had been a bad idea to take a bite just yet, for that had nearly burned his tongue--he quietly related the story to her, barring some--okay, a lot--of details. He was horrible at lying and hated doing it, but it wasn't lying if he just sort of left out some things, like where he'd found him--couldn't give away his hide-out--and what Zarak's profession was. Or, for that matter, what they'd been talking about all that time.

That satisfied Okonwe, though, and she shook her head sympathetically. "Mm...it's no wonder he'd get sick after that. It's a wonder he even survived, for that matter. Well, if he survived floating around at sea for a while, you shouldn't be concerned about him pulling through this. He'll probably want to go home when he recovers. We could probably send him off with you when you go back with the Coryii tribe; they get visits from foreign traders often, and he could probably go home with one of them."

Erk! Kiyan jerked so suddenly he nearly sloshed hot stew all over his lap. No...no no no!

How Okonwe managed to touch upon two of his worst fears at the same time without even knowing it, he had no idea. The woman was good at that! No! Zarak couldn't go with him and be sent back with them! He'd told him he was a pirate, and pirates weren't liked among his people! If he went back with those traders, would they hurt him? Zarak was so brave in Kiyan's eyes, but when he'd talked about all that, he'd seemed scared. Would they do worse to him than just hurt him if they found out? And...the Coryii tribe! He...he didn't want to go with them...

Kiyan's mouth was gaping, and when the shaman raised an eyebrow, he closed it with a soft click. "U-um..." He was completely speechless.

Not a good idea. That wasn't a good idea at all!

"As for you, Kiyan...the Coryii tribe will be leaving here once they feel it is safe to travel, once the land is dried enough to travel on without having to worry about a wagon wheel getting stuck in mud. That will be a fews days, maybe more, as the storm seems to have headed toward their own homeland. No one but I, of course, knows you're back yet, but you will be leaving with them when they go. Don't worry--you won't be harmed. We already made them promise not to allow Maricha's man near you. You will, however, be marrying the widow. That was what was decided. Perhaps you will begin to learn some responsibility, since everything else has failed thus far. Do not even think about running around with any village girls when you get there--the woman is not interested in someone as young as you, so for God's sake don't look so disgusted, she just needs help, but it would still count as adultery. Which is far worse than what you have done. Thank Gods she was not yet married, only betrothed, and thank Gods no child came from it."

Yeah right...promises wouldn't keep that big hunter from going after him when no one was looking. And...marrying a widow...being basically her servant...not being able to court anyone his age, to actually love someone or...or anything...teach him responsibility...but...but he didn't know! And he was only irresponsible because he didn't want to be a shaman or an herbalist or a hunter or a fisher or farmer or...or...he didn't even know what he wanted to be, but none of any of that stuff that they wanted him to be! And Zarak going back with him?

But he kept his mouth shut and simply stared at the ground and ate his stew, though he didn't really taste it.

Goldie

"Hey...you!  Boy!" Zarak jolted awake, realizing that he had fallen asleep before he had finished peeling all of the potatoes.  The sun was now high overhead and the back of his neck had begun to burn where he had been slumped over the barrel.  Ever since he had been taken by the pirates, his life had been a living hell, all three years of it.  Each day was filled with one torment after the next, allowing him to get only two or three hours of sleep per night before he was rudely awakened and put to work, even in the dead of night.

It seemed that these men took pleasure in watching him suffer, but they never once got even the slightest satisfaction to hear him beg for better treatment.  He was more thankful that they didn't kill him..and hadn't killed him these past years he'd been working on the ship.  He had lost so much weight that he now was a skelaton of his former self, and it didn't help that he was going through a growth spurt.  Any nutrition that he could have was immediately used to help aid his upward growth instead of giving some fat to his bones.

"Don' ye go asleepin' on me!" The resident cook ordered, bringing his boot down on the kids back, smiling at the crack of his head against the wooden floors.

"Ah, give it a rest, Mathys" a passing crewman replied, "Tha' boy'as more'n earned 'is place.  Look at 'im!  He 'ardly 'as any meat on dem bones!"

Whatever would have come of that conversation was cut off the moment a shout came from the crowsnest.  A ship was on the horizen and they were coming close.  They couldn't tell what type of ship it was until it raised a flag very similar to their own and the ship was attacked.  Pirates fighting pirates.  If he hadn't been so scared, Zarak would have found it amusing to see his enemies fall at the hand of one of their own.

"Eh, mate!" one man called, finding Zarak hiding between the barrels of water, "Lookee 'ere!"  Before he could shrink back, a hand grabbed his arm and pulled him out of his hiding place.

"'e's been starved t'the bone." the other man answered.  It was the first time since Zarak had met any pirates that they seemed honestly concerned about his appearance.  And before he knew it, he was swept off to another boat, this one much better than the one he had been on before.  They had asked him questions:  How old are you? 14.  How long have you been on that ship?  2 years.  Did they always treat you bad?  Yes.  Within days he felt like he was actually accepted.  The men made sure that he was given enough food for a boy his age until he was finally healthy again and he continued to grow with each passing week until he was taller than most of the men...

Zarak woke with a start, coughing again, but this time the pain had lessoned and it felt like he was coughing to rid himself of fluids in his lungs rather than trying to cough up infection and blood.  He felt oddly healthier...

But it had only been one night!  What had the Shaman done?  It was odd...to have been so ill only a few hours before and now he could actually think straight and the pain in his chest was more like a side effect of what the illness had done to them before.  They were beginning to heal, and the odd taste in his mouth from the blood and phlegm had faded.

Sitting up, he pulled his hands out of the blanket, trying to piece together everything that had happened, but he had faded quickly once he had been laid on the cot and all he could remember was being forced to drink something horribly bitter...and then....well...the rest was history, really.

Once his senses started working again, he smelled cooking wafting over from the other side of the hutt.  His stomach complained loudly, reminding him that he hadn't eaten since the one or two mussels he had eaten on the shore...however long ago that had been.  If his breathing had been easier, he would have taken a huge smell of the beautiful smelling concoction, but eventhough the pain hadn't grown any worse, he still obviously had liquid in his lungs that would need to be coughed up...and it would take a few days before he finally had his complete strength back.

Looking around the hutt, he finally was able to take everything in.  It was quaint...small....cluttered, but neat at the same time...definitely lived in, which was what he liked best.  A house that was too clean showed someone who was too stuffy for their own good, a messy house, someone lazy...but this...it was just the right amount of order and chaos thrown into one.

Upon his scrutinty of the house, he spotted the Shaman and Kiyan on the floor, and by the looks of Kiyan's face....things were not going well.  Obviously the tribe hadn't forgotten about the things he had done.  Not that Zarak thought they would...but he had hoped...maybe...that the shaman would have let him run off again?

Yeah...right....that had to be a dillusional dream of the fever.

Rhindeer

Both the shaman and Kiyan twisted to look when a cough and the rustle of cloth announced Zarak was rousing, their conversation, for the moment, put on hold. He had been quiet...no wheezing that Kiyan could hear, and when he sat up, Okonwe smiled with tired satisfaction as he pulled himself up into a sitting position and began to survey the room. Kiyan and the shaman both were quiet, just watching him, and Kiyan wondered if she was quiet for the same reasons he was--because he remembered that fever dream and wasn't sure if Zarak was really awake; he didn't really want to get whacked again! But then Zarak's eyes seemed to focus as he turned his face toward he and the shaman. Despite the circumstances, a bright smile broke out across Kiyan's face, temporarily overriding the darkness that had been there.

"Zarak!" he exclaimed, sitting up straighter. He hadn't even realized he'd been hunched over defensively until he felt his spine straighten. "You're awake! How do you feel? Are you okay now?" He looked so much better...and his breathing wasn't so harsh. Even his coughing fit sounded better, and didn't appear to be so violent, and he wasn't spitting up blood anymore; his lips weren't even stained.

Kiyan had been so worried...so worried that he hadn't gotten there on time. Okonwe had scared him earlier when she'd said that he should have brought him in earlier, even though she'd reassured him later that it wasn't too late. But he looked better...he was even sitting up on his own and didn't sound like he was drowning in his own fluids!

Okonwe shushed any further questions with a gentle but stern, "Don't overwhelm him, Kiyan," and Kiyan quieted immediately, while she set her bowl down and went over to check up on Zarak. She listened to his breathing, checked his pulse, and felt his temperature...then smiled wryly when his stomach grumbled loudly, violet eyes weary yet amiable. "Well...your body apparently think it's well enough to eat, and I have to agree with it. You need some liquids, anyway." And with that, she rose to her feet and vanished behind the divider.

As usual, caretaking first, explanations and introductions later.

As she prepared the meal--knowing her, Zarak would not be getting the same meal he and Okonwe had, but a more mild meal, what Kiyan liked to refer to as sick food--Kiyan shuffled a little closer to Zarak's bedside. And completely disregarded Okonwe's prior warning.

"You look so much better! I was so worried, Zarak...I thought...I didn't know if...I'd never seen someone get like you did, and..." He spoke in hushed tones, voice lowered so Okonwe couldn't hear. "But she said you're gonna be fine now! Said it should only be a few days before you're better!" It didn't seem to startle him at all that Zarak was recovering so quickly, but then, he was used to Okonwe's treatments. She was a skilled doctor, and had a knack for making even the worst-off patients feel better in a short amount of time. Well...most of them. It was nothing out of the ordinary to Kiyan; he'd grown up around her his whole life, and just figured she had all the right medicines.

And then, right as he spoke those words, remembrance sank in, and his face fell. A few days...a few days and then...then...

"Um...Zarak..." he began, glancing back toward the other room, as though to make sure Okonwe wasn't there. "Alright, Okonwe and I were talking--" Hah, well, really, she was talking to him and he was listening obediently. "--and...she was saying when you got better...you'd be going with me, with that tribe I told you about, remember? Because traders from your tribe--I mean, your people--they come there now and then, so you could go home with them. That's what she said." He spilled it out quickly, then thought a little late that maybe Okonwe had told him to stop talking for a reason...he'd just woke up and had been horribly sick the day before, and here he was gabbing his head off!

But...well...he just really thought Zarak should know that.

It was important, and he didn't really want to say it around Okonwe, because she wouldn't understand why Kiyan would be worried about that, and he wasn't about to say, of course! And he wasn't sure what was going to happen after this...how much he'd get to even be around Zarak.

But now he just had to wonder if Zarak had even registered any of that yet.

Goldie

Completely opposite of Kiyan's worries, Zarak listened silently as the news spilled from his lips in a nervous jitter.  So they were still going to ship him off to that other tribe....turns out they were a bunch of stuffed shirts just like he had guessed....but then...did they even have a choice?  Kiyan had hurt their honor, but he was going with the tribe he had wronged.

So maybe...maybe he wouldn't be able to do anything to help him....how was he going to convince the other tribe to let him take Kiyan?  They probably had some horrible fate in store for him....and there was no way he could convince them that he had a punishment worse for such a "horrible young man"....was there anything he could do now to help him out?

Well...he'd have to try at least, even if it was in vain.  It had been a promise after all....

What was he thinking?  He was a pirate.  Why not just steal him away?  Yeah, it had been a half dillusional thought before, but it made sense!  Why not just 'kidnap' him?  Then he'd be the victim and wouldn't get into anymore trouble if he just ran away.  Then...he'd probably have to leave a note of some sort too....just so they didn't think he had run off....

"I'm comin', Kiyan." he replied, resting his head in his hands and looking at his friend, "I told ye tha' I'd try t'elp ye...an' I can on'y do tha' in th'other village."  He contemplated for a moment.  What could he do?  Was there anything that would work?

"'ow are ye 'oldin' up?" he asked gently, or as gently as he could with his voice still husky from all the abuse it had taken.  But he wanted to make sure that Kiyan was going to be all right...and that he wasn't feeling too down about everything....

ooc:  aahhh....not much to write.....

Rhindeer

Kiyan could feel his eyes widen in surprise at Zarak's answer, and a confusing mixture of dread and relief flooded him at the same time. He was coming. He'd said he would try and help, and he was sticking to his word. That, in and of itself, was enough to give Kiyan some comfort, and he knew that even if nothing came from this, he still respected the thoughtful gesture, and it meant a lot to him. It was more than anyone else would, or had, ever done for him...

That wasn't what came out of his mouth, though. He really appreciated all this, but Gods, did Zarak know what he had been meaning when he'd warned him?

"But...but...the traders...!" Kiyan whispered, glancing briefly back over his shoulder again, just as a precaution. "If--when--they come...would they know you? Or hurt you if they did? You said your people don't like you, and they sound like they'd be worse to you than anything that could happen to me..." Well, he hoped, at least.

But the way Zarak said it, it sounded like he'd already made up his mind, and even if he had decided not to go...well, Kiyan knew his people would find that strange; it was a rare time when a foreigner decided to stay among them. Usually, they just seemed to prefer being acquaintances, but anything more than that and they developed a case of culture shock.

"I'm sorry, I just...don't want you to get in trouble..." Which was the truth. And the more he thought about it...well...it had been stupid to even think that he could be helped, anyway. It was a good idea when he'd been daydreaming about it, before they reached the village, but now that reality had finally sank in, he didn't know how it was even possible.

No matter what angle he looked at it from, this was his fault. Even if Okonwe or the leaders believed him when he said he really didn't know Maricha was betrothed--which was the truth! But like he'd be believed...Okonwe was convinced, and Maricha had been convincing; it didn't help that he'd been too shocked and hurt to say anything intelligible in his own defense--it still wouldn't make a difference. Well, maybe it would have made a little difference...maybe instead of being sent off with the Coryii tribe, he'd be allowed to stay here, and he'd be punished instead as though he'd been running around with a local unmarried girl. It wasn't a much different punishment, but it at least meant he'd get to remain here...and no matter how much the people here drove him crazy, at least he was familiar with the culture and traditions and people. And he certainly didn't have to fear for his life here.

The Coryii...he'd be among a whole new group of people and traditions, and their culture was quite different from those of his own people. They were a harder people--he'd learned that much from all those times in the past that they'd come here. If he thought his own people were unreasonable, they had nothing on the Coryii as far as he was concerned.

Kiyan hadn't been kidding when he'd told Zarak that he was afraid Maricha's husband-to-be would kill him. If Maricha and her man had been married, or if a child had come from the union, by their laws, that hunter would have had every right to do just that. He was relieved that Okonwe and the leaders had discussed that with the Coryii...though, he still wasn't sure what definition of the word "hurt" the Coryii used...

Gods, he'd been so stupid...

"Huh? Oh...oh...yeah...I'm doing okay..." he lied, offering up a shaky smile and glad for the break from his thoughts. They hadn't been heading in a pleasant direction.

He was vaguely aware of the scent of coconut soup wafting pleasantly from the other room, and it was only a few minutes later when Okonwe returned, carrying yet another steaming bowl, and a wooden cup filled with cool water. Kiyan averted his eyes and took another bite of his own stew, which had cooled pleasantly over the last few minutes, and Okonwe offered Zarak the bowl as she settled down. “I don’t know what your people eat, but I do hope you like this. If you don’t, you don’t have to eat it…I can fix something else. But I do expect you to drink that water, and more after it,� she added.

It was a mild soup with coconut broth and a faint hint of lemon, with rice, some kind of  tender plant shoot, and a bean cake of some sort in place of fish or meat. In other words, a meal that would be easy on his stomach.

Goldie

"Don' worry 'bout th'traders." he replied, trying to be quiet but finding it increasingly hard to keep his voice down.  Eventhough his words were indestinctable from a distance, he still felt like his deep, husky voice rumbled through the small hut like a scream.  "I've never been t'this land....an' I don' think they'll recognize me from anywhere.." he hoped, "I'm jus' worried 'bout ye.....goin' off with th'other tribe....."

It was worse than having your family killed and then taken hostage.  At least then you knew that there was nothing you could go back to...but to be forced to move away from everthing you ever knew?  That had to be worse than death.  And for Kiyan, the only way he would be free of it was if Zarak could find some way to help him.  And he would...he would do everything possible, even if it meant breaking a few more laws to abduct the kid....at least that way he wouldn't have to worry about living amongst a tribe who hated him.....in both cases.

I'm doing okay...even before the words left his mouth, Zarak knew that Kiyan was lying.  There was no way he could be okay when his entire world was falling apart as they spoke.  If Zarak had been in his position he knew that he wouldn't be "okay" by any stretch of the imagination.  Given, he had been a lot younger when everything he knew was taken away, but even at any age that type of wound could stay raw for years...

"Don' worry so much." Zarak told him with a sly wink, "Ye won' be stayin' long..."  and ask long as the other tribe, or the traders, didn't see the "P" branded on his wrist, he would be out of danger.  Unless, but some chance, one of the people recognized him, but that was a very slim chance.  It was rare for land traders to rove around the ocean.

He was about to ask Kiyan if the shaman had seen the brand, suddenly worried that she would recognize the mark....and considering he was completely naked beneath the tightly wrapped blankets, he hoped and prayed that she hadn't done a complete examination to look for oddities in his skin and such....but he didn't have a chance to ask, when the next moment the woman reappeared, carrying a bowl that smelled strongly of coconut, along with a cup of water.

Zarak made a face when she insisted that he drink all the water, "Ye'd think I'dve had enough o'that..." he remarked, slightly jokingly.  If he hadn't known better, he would have argued about drinking the water, but just to prove that he wasn't stupid, nor was he serious, he took a large gulp of the water.  His stomach roared again, and he traded the cup for the bowl of soup.  It must have been forever since he had last eaten, or maybe the shaman was just an exceptional cook, because the warm coconut broth was heavenly against his tongue.  He had tasted coconut once on his long travels on the sea...so maybe it was just the fact that he had not had the sweet substance in so long, that it was a blessed relief.  So much better than the smoked meats and barreled water he was use to on the ships.

"It's good," he replied between bites, trying his hardest to have some manners as he ate, but it was difficult when it seemed like ages since he had last had any food in his stomach.  Those mussels had long since left his system, and all he had had to eat before was salt water, which was very appetizing.

As he sat there eating, he was vaguely aware of the eyes upon him, and felt slightly selfconcious.  His chest was exposed, revealing a few large scars from little tiffs here and there.  He was a pirate after all...but what was he going to tell Okonwe?  She would certainly notice them...especially the long one on his side which had very nearly killed him after it had been inflicted.  And then there were the random ones that littered his body.  Not to mention he only had a blanket covering up the rest of him....he felt like any slight movement would expose more than he was willing to show, especially seeing that the shaman was, in fact, a woman.

Rhindeer

He wouldn't be staying long?

The words echoed in Kiyan's head, making him fidget as he sat there running the sentence through his head. He had a nervous habit of fidgeting with his hands or shaking his leg when he was anxious, and as his hands were full with the bowl of stew, he did the latter, though he never even noticed when he was doing it. Zarak had something in mind...he knew that sly look and wink. He wasn't going to be staying at that other tribe long. What...what was he...how was he...?

Well, this was going to drive him crazy until he finally got more alone minutes with his friend and could ask him what he had in mind...or if he was just misinterpreting the look altogether. Knowing his luck, now Okonwe probably wouldn't leave them alone again! Agh...and Zarak had told him not to worry. He tried not to...he really did. He trusted Zarak far more than he did anyone here, and Zarak...he was actually worried about him. But Kiyan couldn't help it, and truth be told, he was terrified, though he did his best not to show it. Zarak said he would help, and he trusted him...but what if he couldn't help him? What if he tried but he couldn't actually do anything? To top it off, what if he tried something and the other tribe found out about it, or about him?

So many ifs...he couldn't help but worry, even though he knew it did no good. Zarak's confidence did calm him a little, though.

And judging by those rather impressive scars he sported, scars Kiyan had noticed before but hadn't really had time to study, Zarak had been in worse scraps before and come out all right. That certainly counted for something, right?

Okonwe smiled in gentle amusement at Zarak's light joke, and then in approval as he drank and ate. Good, so he was truly joking and wasn't going to be stubborn; people always seemed to loathe eating and drinking when it was best for them, and she was no exception; she got ill like anyone else. And, from the way he was drinking the soup down...well, she hardly needed his comment that it was "good" to safely assume that he liked it. Most people did enjoy her cooking, and it was something she secretly took pride in. "If you would like more when you finish, please, don't be shy."

That was said with a hint of ironic amusement among the words. As a doctor, she'd tended enough patients to be able to read discomfort like a book, and she could read it in him. Poor man...he looked like he was afraid to move. Never mind that she was a doctor and had seen more naked bodies, young and old, male and female--including his own--than he probably had in his life, but perhaps doctors where he came from went about things differently? She liked to go about things practically, and he'd had to get out of those wet clothes, and she hadn't exactly been concerned about dressing him then. Especially not when she hadn't been so certain how well the healing would work; if he was going to spring another fever in the night, she would have to keep him cool, and dressing and undressing him over and over would be tiring.

Luckily, he seemed to be recovering nicely.

"I'll have Kiyan wash your clothes for you," she said, mostly just to have something to say. Light, easy conversation. She had many other questions, not to mention she still had to discuss with him what she had discussed with Kiyan concerning him, but for now she was following her own advice; she didn't want to overwhelm him when he was just recovering! If he felt strong enough to carry a conversation, she would allow him to lead it.

"I assume you still want them, yes? In the meantime, whenever you feel so inclined, I do have some clothes here for you to wear until your clothes are cleaned and dried. But I don't want you even thinking about doing anything for now; you're on the road to recovery, but we can't chance a relapse. Kiyan!" Kiyan gave a violent jump. "Stop that, you're driving me crazy. You don't have to torture yourself, you can go relieve yourself."

Kiyan's face darkened with a blush, and he quickly stopped his fidgeting, suddenly realizing what she was referring to. "Sorry," he said quickly. Gyah...she loved teasing him...and even if that had been true, he'd hold it! He didn't really want to go out there just yet; the village was long since awake by now, and he wanted to put off facing that for as long as he could. Didn't seem like that would be long, though, since Okonwe was going to set him to washing things.

Shaking her head slightly, Okonwe looked back to Zarak. "By the way, I'm Okonwe. I see you've met our Kiyan, obviously, and according to him, you are...Zarak, am I right? You are quite fortunate, I must say, yet from the looks of things, you must already be aware of that," she added gently, regarding his scarred torso. She had seen the scars before in their entirety earlier, and she couldn't say she had hardly seen so many scars on a hunter. He had to be a warrior of some sort, she decided.

Goldie

OOC: WHAT IS IT WITH US AND CREATING UNREPLYABLE POSTS!?!?!?!??!!!???!?!??! we're waaaay too good at that!

ic:

Zarak found his attention shifting from the bowl of...whatever it was...to Kiyan who was fidgiting (he's still sitting next to him on the bed isn't he?) making the bed shake and causing him to catch the bowl a few times before its contents spilled over the rim.  But his attention wasn't diverted too long as the aroma of the stew made his stomach complain everytime he stopped eating.  He felt like it had been ages since his last meal, and that very well could have been true....not to mention he was probably still getting over his dehydration, but he felt more alive this morning.

Whatever the shaman had done in the night, he felt as if he were more than fifty percent healed compared to what he had felt like before....as if his lungs were being split in half every time he breathed.  It still hurt a little when he breathed, and when he chuckled under his breath, but it felt like the crushing hand suffocating him with water, phlegm, and blood had lifted....

What had the shaman done?

The only other time he had felt this much better was the last time he had become ill enough to take off work...and apparently had nearly slipped past anyone's aid....until they called the healer.

Zarak choked on his stew when the thought came to him.

It couldn't be possible!  Kiyan had said that no magic existed in his village anylonger, that all the magic users had died somehow...mysteriously....then....if it wasn't magic, what was it?  There was no way any normal human could cure him as quickly as this shaman had...

"Wha'?  Oh...oh...yeah...I'd like t'keep 'em" he replied about his clothes.  It had been interesting enough walking around with only a blanket covering him, and he was sure that walking around in a skirt like Kiyan's would feel just as akward....it made him feel oddly...feminine, and that feeling didn't suit him at all.

He found himself choking once again on his stew as the woman poked fun at Kiyan's fidgiting, but he masked his chuckle into a cough.  He didn't want Kiyan to think he was laughing at him....but you had to admit, it was funny!  Good, so this woman wasn't just a stick in the mud, she had a personality that was more than the stuffed shirts he had assumed he would find in the village.

"Pleas'd t'meetcha" he replied with a small nod of his head as she introduced herself, "An' yeah...I'm Zarak."  As Okonwe regarded the scars that littered his torso he shifted uncomfortably.  Now that she had seen them....there was no way he could label himself as a farm...or an innocent fisherman..... damnit... he thought I didn' even think 'bout tha'....wha' th'hell am I suppose t'tell 'em?  Well....perhaps he'd leave that until he was asked...and he hoped that wouldn't be too soon.  "Yeah....I've been real lucky..." he added, trying to bring her healers eyes up from his scars, "If Kiyan hadn' o'found me, I wouldn' ev'n be here..."

Pausing for a moment, he thought about what else he could say....something that might get him more information about the people he would be traveling to with Kiyan.....it was better to make an opinion and be on guard before he attempted to deceive them....

"Wha's t'be done with Kiyan?" he asked, setting his bowl down, now more than three quarters empty.  It would be best to play innocent....maybe he'd get more information that way.

Rhindeer

[XDD Seriously! It's scary! Ahahahah, whoopsies. >.> We need some action to happeeeen! Hmmm. And yep, Kiyan hasn't moved. XP]

Okonwe gave a wicked grin. Of course he'd want to keep his clothes! He was a foreigner, and come to think of it, he'd probably look ridiculous in village attire. From Kiyan's knowing smirk--a half-hearted smirk, he was likely still off in his own stressful little world--they had probably already dealt with that little cultural difference. Zarak wore a lot more than any of them did from what she'd observed. Poor man would probably feel naked if they forced him to wear what they did. Well, at least as naked as he was now, only with clothes on...

Not that she knew anything about he or his people. But she could empathize, and imagine, and guess. Doing what she did, you had to have empathy if you were to be any good. A cold shaman...now that was an oxymoron if ever there was one, as far as she was concerned.

Okonwe raised an eyebrow when Zarak started choking, and for one second sincere concern flitted across her face. Maybe he was having a relapse...maybe she hadn't purged enough of that illness out of him for his body to heal on its own. If so, they'd end up right back at the beginning, which would be bad for him--she wasn't sure how much his body could take after everything it seemed to have gone through, and being half-healed only to sink back into sickness would be even more draining on a patient than just dealing with the sickness the first time around--and bad for her--she wasn't so sure she'd have the strength yet to properly deal with his relapse. She held her breath, waited. It was her nature to care about everyone she nursed back to health; each person in this village was, ultimately, her responsibility when all else failed and things got bad.

Maybe the healing had failed...maybe she'd done something wrong...maybe...

Maybe he was just choking on his stew.

She noticed Kiyan looked worried as Zarak received her pleasantly and she nodded her head back with a small smile. Oh boy. Knowing him, he'd probably told the man all sorts of horror stories concerning her in advance, and was now disappointed that Zarak wasn't acting like she was a monster, too.

That kid...

She also noticed that Zarak seemed sort of uncomfortable as her eyes curiously roved over his rather impressive collection of scars, wondering at what on Earth he could have been through to acquire all those marks, so she raised her eyes back to his face. Okonwe sometimes forgot how awkward being stared at could make some people, because as a healer trained to read wounds and a shaman trained to read signs, she just naturally did a lot of staring and observing. He probably thought she was checking him out or something; it hardly even occured to her that he was a very naked man under those blankets, and she was a woman. That just wasn't an issue for her anymore, but...as for those who came to her, well, it could be.

Okonwe blinked momentarily at Zarak's question, but the surprise quickly wore off. Oh, of course Kiyan would have told him...

And it was good for Zarak to know, anyway, because it saved having to explain why Kiyan and Zarak would be leaving.

"Ah...so, Kiyan obviously already told you about the little disaster he fathered, though likely not in those words," she murmured, voice taking on a slightly sharper edge, mostly for the boy's benefit. She gave a soft sigh. Time for explanations. "I don't know how they do things where you come from, Zarak, but I am certain they probably have customs and laws there, and valid reasons behind those customs and laws, even if you may not be able to see them. Kiyan shamed our tribe, but he wronged another in a...rather serious way that was almost, but thankfully not quite, adultery. The girl wasn't yet wed, which is lucky for Kiyan, because the other tribe views death as an appropriate punishment for such an act--they have no tolerance for disloyalty or deception of any sort, which I suppose comes from being the descendents of a warrior people. Trust is a big issue.

"For what Kiyan did...while it was just as irresponsible and stupid, it was a somewhat less dangerous, set in stone area that we could negotiate on. He wronged their tribe, so they have claim on him. But we could work with them. He'll be going with them to live, he will be put to work, and to further keep him out of trouble, he'll be marrying a woman who recently lost her husband. It's a far cry from what the original idea was, which was to let the husband-to-be decide the matter when they got back to the tribe, so long as it didn't involve any real permanent damage, whatever that means. He couldn't have picked a better tribe to scratch an itch with," she added dryly.

"As for you," she said suddenly, deciding now was as good a time as any to tell Zarak of his own fate, "You'll be wanting to go home, correct? Ironically enough, the very tribe Kiyan will be heading off with is also one that does business with your people--or at least people who may know your people--so I thought that perhaps you could make the trip with them. Your decision, of course. They'll be leaving in a few days...you should be well by then. It'll give you time to think about it, and me time to ask on your behalf. They shouldn't mind, given the good relations they have with your people, but I don't think I even have to really warn you not to get too friendly with their girls--or our girls, for that matter. Unless you want to marry them. Purity is important here. Speaking of which..."

She turned to Kiyan, who had been glumly, yet quietly, listening, feeling more and more nervous and down with every word she said. He blinked over at her, then grimaced a little; he knew that look. She was looking at him as though she'd just noticed him, which usually meant trouble...like that she'd just remembered something she wanted to have him do.

"What are you still doing here? Didn't I tell you to go wash Zarak's things? Well? Go on. Don't worry, the Coryii stick among their own camp, mostly, you'll be fine. Go. Clean yourself up while you're at it."

Kiyan's shoulders stiffened reflexively--what? She hadn't said...!--but he got up quickly nonetheless and gathered up Zarak's things in his arms. He was stubborn in private, but there was no way he'd disobey Okonwe in person. He gave one last look at Zarak, biting his lip, before Okonwe nodded curtly to the door, dismissing him. Argh...she was getting rid of him! He knew this trick! His expression went from reluctant to incredulous as realization sank in. She wanted to talk to Zarak alone. That was what she was doing, and he knew it!

Exhaling sharply out his nose in frustration, he grabbed for a soap she had set out earlier in preparation and shouldered open the door. Then he was gone, bright morning sun stinging his eyes as he marched down the steps. She was probably going to use this time to tell Zarak all about him, like how irresponsible he was, or what a disappointment he was, or all that other stuff. Just what he needed Zarak to hear. Not that he was afraid Zarak would believe her, but...but...he still didn't want her saying that! And of course, still not a word about Maricha...it was all his fault...of course...and he was too meek to say anything.

The river wasn't far away, and luckily no one was near it when he got there. He walked with his head down just in case, though, and then finally knelt and started scrubbing the clothes, one article at a time. He was careful with them--they were Zarak's things!--but at the same time, he scrubbed with a vigor that was half irritation and half impatience, for he wanted to get this done as soon as he could so Okonwe wouldn't have too much time to do any serious damage.

Meanwhile, Okonwe stared at the door as it swung lightly on its hinges, smiling wryly. She shook her head. "Well...anyway. Zarak...I had a question for you. I was wondering if--if you decided to go with Kiyan, that is--if it was possible for you to sort of, I don't know...watch his back a little while you're there? If you're there?" She lifted her bowl and sipped a little of the remaining broth, watching him over the rim. When she set it down again, she continued on in her casual tone. "For all his faults, he did save you. He has a good heart, even if he has poor judgment. The punishment will be good for him in the long run. But not the hazing, and I can imagine there will be that."