Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Anger of the Sea

Started by Goldie, June 07, 2005, 11:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

Zarak watched Kiyan leave the building, his lips turned up in a slight smile that showed his amusement.  The kid had walked as if he had been offended...not that the pirate would blame him.  He was sure that his clothes were sandcrusted, dirty, and smelled like cooked cabadge mixed with seaweed.  Anything that foul would make anyone offended....even someone who had no sense of smell!

Once the door clammered shut behind him, his attention was brought back to Okonwe as she continued the sentence she had stopped saying while Kiyan was in the room.  It was obvious that she didn't want him in there at the moment, and Zarak was curious as to what she wanted him to know.

After all....it wasn't everyday you nearly died, were saved by a boy barely past manhood who had wronged a vengeful tribe, and were now talking to his guardian....it was slightly unsettling....

"Ye think it'll be good fer'im?" he asked, leaning back on the wall and wrapping his arms across his chest as he studied her for the first time, nakedness forgotten for the moment, "It's never good fer ye t'break a man before he's lived long 'nough t'know what it's like t'be one."  He paused, mind racing for words that wouldn't offend her or her people...but none of what he wanted to say could be watered down...not something that he felt so strongly about, "I don' know how yer people do things....I prob'ly never will know, but from where I come from...the woman can be jus' as guilty as th'man an' it ain't fair t'punish one wi'out th'other swearin' she be truthful.  From my world...if ye lie under oath, a curse eats yer heart."  Well...that was basically what happened.  The curse was the magic placed on you when you swore, and it would slowly kill you until you either confessed, or died.

But he was also a pirate....soo....he knew he had some unorthedox methods to telling the truth.

"I'm not sayin' tha' he shouldn' be punished," he added, remembering her laws, "Accordin' t'yer laws, Kiyan did a 'orrible crime, but givin' 'im away t'th'other tribe...makin' him marry an' lockin' 'im into a life where he ain't never gonna find love fer 'imself...he's not gonna learn discipline!  He's gonna learn to be servile, loose 'is mind afore he matures."

He stopped, breathing deeply through his nose, and taking a swig of the water he had been given to wet his throat which was still sore and he was saying quite  alot...he just hoped that Okonwe wouldn't be too offended....

"Bu' eventhough I don' agree wi'ye....I can' do nothin' 'cause I'm an outsider" haha...yeah right, just wait and see what he could do.... "Bu' I'll look out for 'im."  Looking up at her, his eyes were hard in a silent oath as he stared into her eyes unblinking, "I never forget a debt.  An' I won' leave 'till I can save his life."

It was a silent threat, but it was abiguous enough that she could take it in any context that so pleased her.  If she wanted to think that he was planning on stealing Kiyan away from a life of servitude, she could, but she could also think that he was vowing to protect the boy from any of the other tribe members who hoped to catch the boy off guard and hurt him for what he had done.

Either way, she didn't know the true meaning behind his oath, and therefore couldn't go to higher authorities to convict him....although he hoped that she wouldn't go that far.  He had pushed the line...he knew that....but he wasn't sure he had overstepped his bounds too far....not yet at least....

He just hoped he wouldn't have to break any laws to fulfill his vow....

Weird, coming from the thoughts of a pirate.

Rhindeer

Okonwe stared at Zarak for a long time after he had finished his spiel, but oddly enough, her stare was void of anger. Instead, there was a strange sort of amusement there, mingled with a hint of surprise. She hadn't said a word throughout his entire lecture--and she could only call it a lecture, for she certainly knew what they were as she did an awful lot of lecturing--but, then again, she probably couldn't have gotten a word in edgewise had she tried. Needless to say, she'd never had the tables turned on her before, and the last time she'd ever been lectured was when she had been a child. She'd probably been no older than Kiyan then, and that had also been about the time she had begun really training to be a shaman.

Her dark violet eyes only narrowed a little toward the end as he met her gaze seriously. It almost looked a challenge, his expression. Or a promise, perhaps. Yet all she did in reply to that was smile a little and say, "Thank you."

The double meaning was there, but she truly had no reason to think he would actually try anything...overtly stupid, for both Kiyan and his sakes. Then again, she also had no idea how close Zarak and Kiyan had gotten, or anything about Zarak's past.

Yes, he had pushed the line, and quite a bit! No one had ever spoken to her like that before, and if anyone ever had in public, they certainly would have been taken down a notch, and quickly, outsider or not--though an outsider would have been treated with a little more tolerance, given their assumed lack of knowledge of how things worked in their society. But they weren't in public, he was an outsider, and if anything this...was just oddly interesting. She was used to people simply respecting her word, maybe questioning it, but never openly challenging it like he was.

Some of the things he had said were also just downright funny, and it had taken an effort not to burst into incredulous laughter. Oh Gods...what had Kiyan told him?! Then again, the boy couldn't really be blamed too much for getting things mixed up. She'd made sure he wasn't there when they'd been discussing what to do about him because, quite frankly, he'd already been scared out of his wits. Especially when they started hashing out whether or not that had counted as adultery...that was about when she had decided it was best he not be present, and if she had had her way, that experience in and of itself would have been punishment enough. The girl's uncle had wanted to break his neck himself, and Kiyan looked ready to go into shock.

She took a moment to get her bearings and collect her thoughts before she answered, smoothing over her features. "I don't know what the boy told you, but that girl isn't getting off free. She has a future husband to face. However...yes. It is true that the field is not quite level. She is not in as severe a position as Kiyan. She claimed she was seduced."

At that she shook her head wryly. "I think it's safe to say the boy doesn't know the first thing about seduction. However, the other tribe was more inclined to believe their own rather than someone they don't know, our own tribe already views him as irresponsible, in both tribes men are charged with a higher level of responsibility, and he chose that perfect moment to lose his voice, so he couldn't explain himself. Though I could vouch for him as I know him best, in the eyes of the others, his behavior was rather...self-incriminating. Running away did not make his case look any better. Then there is the issue of shame...he shamed our tribe, and that is not something taken lightly. Had this happened among our own, the shame would have been his own. He brought it on us all. That tribe was here in good faith, and he did that. Regardless of how responsible the girl was, Kiyan was taught better than that. He knew better than to do something like that, especially with another tribe's girl. He couldn't have chosen a more stupid and dangerous exploit. He could have stopped. He didn't. He knew the risks."

She rubbed her temples. "It...is complicated enough when this happens within our own tribe, but when there is a conflict between the people of two tribes, it is a bit more serious. Two sets of laws and customs have to be taken into consideration, though the side that is wronged has a greater say in the matter. Does this make a little sense? If we fail to repay our debt to them, it can only get worse." She sighed and shook her head. "Again, it is complicated. I do not make the laws, though I understand the need for them. I am an authority here, but in the end, my voice is only one of many. And yes. I think it will be good for him. It is better than the alternatives offered, and it will keep him out of trouble, teach him responsibility and keep him from getting himself killed. He's been lost a long time, no direction, no desire for direction, just constant rebellion. That woman is old and will not live long. This issue will blow over with time. If he treats his time there wisely, he can work his way out of the mess he created. Sometimes, a man needs to be broken to be built back up again. Or, in this case, a boy. And sometimes, sacrifices must be made for the greater good."

Reaching for his bowl, Okonwe stacked it with hers and Kiyan's and collected them in her arms. Then she stood. "He had a lot of potential. But I could only do so much."

She shrugged lightly, but a look of regret flashed across her face despite the stern casualty she aimed for. Then she also scooped up his water glass to refill it, and stepped away through the cloth divider to tend the dishes.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

The Pirate took a deep breath as the Shaman left his side of the tent.  She made sense, and his sensible side reminded him of that, but how much sense did he really have?  Not too much considering he was able to push any "sensible" thought out of his mind and concentrate on how exactly he was going to get Kiyan away.

There was no way he could steal his young friend away now, under the noses of his entire tribe....after what he had told Okonwe, the tribe would believe that Zarak had helped Kiyan escape and then they'd both be in a shit load of trouble....no...he couldn't do that.  Even if they could get far enough away, if someone recognized them both then they would be dragged back and the poor kid would face even harsher penalties then he was facing now.

No....Zarak couldn't get him away yet....he would have to meet this other tribe and play his cards then.

If they were so keen on killing Kiyan as Okonwe said, then his work could be surprisingly simple...if they were easily swayed against their word.....From his scars and muscles from working on a ship for over a decade Zarak could easily convince them he was a warrior, give him a rapier and he could show them....but....what if he convinced them he was a slave trader?  That could be interesting.....and it could very well work....minus the fact that Kiyan didn't seem to be the greatest liar.....so any plan he would come up with would have to be kept secret from the boy and Zarak would have to act so well that he would fool even the boy who trusted him and he himself had grown rather fond of.

Well, if it was act they wanted, it was certainly an act they'd get.  He hated deceiving someone he cared about, but he had to convince the villagers that he agreed with their laws and that he looked at Kiyan with little more than disdain....like the dirt under his feet....and he would have to start soon....but not so suddenly that Okonwe grew suspicious....

Damnit!  He had said too much and now that lady in the other room would know that he was fond on the kid!  Shit....this was going to be harder than he thought....maybe he could just be short with him instead....act like he contemplated the Shaman's words and silently agreed with them.....yes...that would be the best bet....

Taking another breath he ran his fingers through his hair before wrapping a blanket around his waist and silently walking to the door.  He needed fresh air....he hated confined spaces and this little room was the epitome of confinement!  He wouldn't go far though....just sit on the from steps.  He had gotten a lot of his strength back, but not nearly enough to run away or walk for long distances.

Sitting on the porch he leaned back and breathed in the fresh air.  The wind still carried salt from the ocean, but now it was mingled with the smell of fresh rain and mud that had settled on the pathways through the village.  With another breath he tracked that storm that had hit last night and found that strong winds had already blown it miles south and the day promised sunshine with very little cloud cover.

Wonderful.  As much as he loved the ocean and being wet, he was through with the rain for now.

Rhindeer

It was a while before Kiyan had finished washing Zarak's clothes, the articles so crusted with salt from all that time in the water that it took some extra scrubbing to get them clean again. Which irritated him all the more, because who knew what was being said inside that hut while he was out here. Not that he was really afraid of Okonwe poisoning his mind against him or anything...well...maybe a little. He and Zarak hadn't really known each other for that long at all, but...well, he really did trust him. He came across as the trustworthy, open type, and seemed able to relate with a lot of what he was going through, or to at least see his side of things. He liked him...he was different. But still...

Finally done, he wringed out the clothes and started back quickly, both as much to avoid notice as to get back before he gave Okonwe and Zarak too much alone time. Soon, the hut was back in view, and Kiyan could see Zarak sitting out on the steps outside it, blessedly alone. Perfect! Breathing a sigh of relief, Kiyan quickened his pace; there were quite a few things he wanted to ask him while he was alone, and he probably wouldn't have much time in which to ask them.

No such luck.

"Kiyan?"

Kiyan stiffened in mid-step, halfway back to the hut with the damp clothing bunched up in his arms and his shoulders hunching up as he cringed a little inside. Aw man...so much for that.

Sure enough, as he turned his head toward the voice's source, there was his older brother starting toward him, eight years older and tall at six feet with the strong upper body of one accustomed to both constructing and maintaining the boats his village used--and hauling fish-laden nets up into them. Like Kiyan, Saru had sea-green eyes--though they were currently ringed with darker circles--and sandy brown hair, though his hair was kept cropped short, save for a long, decorative braid in the back that reached down between his shoulder blades. Kiyan could only watch him dumbly as he approached...

And practically crushed his much smaller body in a bear hug.

"You idiot! Where have you been?! Damn, I don't even know whether to hug you or hurt you at this point, you ass," Saru growled as Kiyan inwardly decided that he'd apparently settled for a mixture of both--it felt like his chest was being squeezed flat! When Saru finally released him and held him firmly by the shoulders at arm's length, glancing over him for signs of injury as Kiyan worked air back into his lungs, he just snorted. "Ah, whatever. I'm just glad you're in one piece. That was still an idiot move, though, little bastard," he said, affectionately running the knuckles of one hand over the top of Kiyan's head while Kiyan winced at the familiar gesture; affection from his brother tended to leave bruises. "You had us worried."

Kiyan could only blink at that as he reached up to rub his sore head. Um...well...wow...someone was in a really good mood. He'd never really had a close relationship with any of his brothers--they were older than him, and by the time he'd grown up enough to tag along with them, they'd already acquired families of their own. They hadn't had the time to really develop a close bond. "Ah...really?"

"Yeah, really. Hey, so you've already been to Okonwe's, eh? She the one that dragged you back?"

"Yeah...and no, I came back on my own," Kiyan answered, glancing beyond him toward Zarak.

Saru gave his shoulders a slight squeeze before releasing him and crossing his arms. "Ah...heh, yeah, then I guess you know you're still busted. The Coryii are still here, too. Sorry...oh, right, is Okonwe still in there? Sorry, but I'm kind of in a hurry...Rissa's sick...morning sickness..." And then he grinned and ruffled Kiyan's hair again. "You sure missed a lot...yeah, she's with child! You're finally gonna be an uncle! So you'd better figure out a way to visit now and then; the Coryii aren't all that bad, they're just mad right now..." he said, and gave a slight cough. Understatement.

Kiyan offered up a vague smile, but before he could offer congratulations or anything (like making sure he understood not to tell anyone else that he was here--gyah, he so did not want to deal with that yet!)--Saru went on, already switching subject. "Heey...who's that guy over there?"

Zarak did kind of stand out...considering he was now the only blonde in the village.

Once more, before Kiyan could answer, energetic Saru had already set off to answer his own question, which tended to be a habit of his. Bluntness, and a short attention span, also seemed to be another one of his quirks that Kiyan had long since gotten used to. He jogged after his brother to keep up and met him just as he started in with the questions.

Nooo...Saru, don't start talking! Argh! He was eating into the time he needed to ask Zarak his own questions! Okonwe would probably then come out here soon and set Kiyan to some other useless task and then...ugh, he loved his brother, but damn...

"Hey, you're not from around here, are ya? Sorry, it's just your hair. Haven't seen your face, either. Where ya from? Whatcha doin' around here?"

"Saru...doesn't Rissa need medicine...?" Kiyan couldn't help but interject, trying not to sound too exasperated--both for himself and for Zarak. Zarak probably still didn't feel too good, anyway, and being asked those kinds of questions by a stranger...argh...

Saru ignored him.

[bahaha...I didn't know what I was doing in this post. >.> Um...yesh. I hope I gave you something to respond to. If not, tell me and I'll fix stuff!]
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

Before he even had the slightest chance to contemplate how he would act and what he would say to Kiyan and to the villagers, Zarak's musings were interrupted by a tall man who seemed very talkative.  Behind him stood Kiyan with a look of exhasperation that clearly read he wanted to man to go away.

Well, now was as good a chance as any to start making that seed of doubt spred.  If Kiyan didn't want Zarak to talk to this man, then perhaps he should try and talk to him as long as he could....not to mention it would make any alone time with Kiyan short, thus making it easier to lie to the kid through actions rather than short, sarcastic words that might seem very out of character.

With a startled blink, Zarak looked up at the grinning man and couldn't help grinning slightly himself.  Man, smiling really was contagious!

"I'ma seatrader an' tha' storm tha' hit las' nigh' hit me ship out a'sea." He replied in his heavy island accent, " I was wash'd up on th'beach and brough' here t'recover after a mean bough' o'sickness"  That should make it sound like he was pretty talkative!  And hopefully the man would buy it and continue to talk to him.

"Ye've gotta pretty nice village 'ere." he added looking around with a simpletons curiousity, or at least he hoped.  "I 'ope tha' th' storm didn' cause ye much trouble.  Man, but tha' was one nasty piece o'weather.  i'ma jus' glad tha' it looks pretty clear t'day, I'm done wit those storms fer now."  With a shake of his head Zarak made it seem as if he had lost himself in his musings and was bringing himself back to reality.  It was best to play ignorant and pretty absentminded...but not too bad lest Okonwe saw through him as being fake...gyah!  This was all too hard!  He hated small talk but now he found himself being smack dab in the middle of it just to keep his and Kiyan's alone time to a minimum!  What could he do now but continue on the track he had laid?  migh' wanna tone it down jus' a bit, though he thought to himself.

"I'm sorry, didn' introduce myself.  I'm Zarak"  He reach out his hand for a hand shake hoping that  it wasn't some gesture that was looked down on in the village.  That would be a nice one to explain...

Rhindeer

...And Kiyan's eyes only glazed over as Zarak began to talk. And talk. And talk some more!

Whaaat? What was he doing? No! He was probably just trying to be polite, given his brother had come up to talk to him, but...oh Gods. Saru would get talking, and then he'd never shut up. Chewing on his lip ring nervously as Zarak babbled, he decided to try and make his own presence a little more obvious by skirting around Saru to stand just to the left and a little behind him, out of his brother's line of vision--but still in plain sight of Zarak. And then he shook his head as he tried to make eye contact with the other man, tried to do something short of speaking to let Zarak get the hint. No talking to Saru! Kiyan needed to talk to Zarak, and badly! Didn't Zarak remember that? C'mon, it would be so easy for the man to act like a complete idiot and get everyone else to ignore him, thinking him some uncivilized, but perfectly harmless, outsider. Why couldn't he see that? The man wasn't stupid by a long shot, so this should be obvious, and who knew when they'd get a chance to speak to each other alone again!

But aside from that, Kiyan kept perfectly quiet. It would be disrespectful to interrupt, and Saru and Zarak were both his elders.

"Hah, not a problem, Zarak," still smiling cheerily and not seeming to notice Zarak's rambling. Then again, he was also a rambler, so he bounced back fast when other people loaded him with lots of pointless information. Maybe it was because he hung around a lot of coarse, old toothless fishermen all the time, but he seemed to have no problem decyphering Zarak's thick accent, whereas Kiyan had had some difficulty--and still admittedly did at times.

When Zarak held out his hand to him, he simply blinked and looked down at it for a moment. Maybe he was swatting a fly? Ah well. He shrugged and chuckled lightly. "I'm Saru, and it looks like ya already met my brother there," he said, fondly glancing over at Kiyan, who quickly froze until he looked back to Zarak. "Anyway! We don't get many outsiders here. You're kinda the first we've had in a while...never had any wash up before, least not since I've been around. So, uh...hey, hope you don't mind the mess! The storm did kinda tear down some trees and whatnot so...oh! What'd ya trade, by the way? And is your hair really like that? Like...naturally? I've never seen anyone with hair like that, it's almost like <I>sand, and--"

Kiyan couldn't take it anymore. "Saru! What about Rissa?" Saru turned slowly to look at him.

"Huh...?Oh...yeah. Rissa. Hey, Zarak, I gotta go, but...you'll be around, right?" Smiling, he moved to walk around Zarak, half tempted to touch his hair--Kiyan could see it, the way he paused and raised his hand before putting it back down; he was a pretty touchy person--and easily bounded up the steps to Okonwe's place to knock lightly on the doorframe.

Kiyan seized the opportunity, practically launching himself at Zarak and grabbing his hands. "Zarak? What'd she say? Did you think of anything?" Wouldn't be much time until Okonwe answered the door. In fact, there she was, opening the door and going through all the pleasantries and greetings with Saru.

Wouldn't be long before she noticed.

Goldie

ooc:  Horraaaay!  Back and Posting!  It's grand ^_^

ic:

It was all Zarak could do to keep a straight, interested, face as the man, Saru, rambled on and on!  It was evey worse than what he had done before!  It was all too much...there was so much humor in his earnesty and....he had never spoken with anyone so open to strangers!  Especially strangers who apparently had odd hair like himself....

"Hehe..." he chuckled lightly, "Yeah, m'hair is natural.  Bein' ona ship all day kinda makes m'ave ligh' hair."  He grinned sheepishly and opened his mouth to say more when Kiyan interrupted, returning Saru to the task that had brought him to Okonwe's cabin in the first place, "Yeah, I'll be 'ear don'ya worry.  An' congrats on th'kid"  He smiled brightly as Saru passed into the house.

Without delay Kiyan was by his side spouting off questions, his nerves clearly evident.  Jeez, this kid really did wear his emotions on his sleeves!  Even if Zarak was horrible at reading people he would have been able to tell exactly what Kiyan was thinking!  The poor guy....he really would be a horrible liar and that meant that Zarak had to play his part flawlessly....no one could think that he had taken a liking to Kiyan or everything would fall through....although...Okonwe would more than likely see through it...so after everything was taken care of he would probably send a letter or something...just so she wouldn't worry....and maybe she wouldn't send people after them....

doubtful....oh well....

"He seems like a nice guy." he replied after Kiyan stopped talking, a response that probably would make the poor kids hear sink to his toes....but it had to be done...when he finally would be able to take him away Kiyan would need to have every reason not to go....it had to be a truthful display or things would turn sour and then BOTH villages would be after them.

"Oh...wait....sorry..." he replied, pretending like he had just heard the boy, "Eh....she didn' say much..." he answered vaguely, leaning back on one of the posts of the porch, "Basic'ly what ye say and she say matched."  Short and sweet....no mention of figuring out how he'd escape....nothing....had to start now, no matter how hard it was....Hell...he'd had to betray closer before...

Even if it left an awful taste in his mouth.....

Rhindeer

What?

Kiyan did wilt, releasing his hold on Zarak's hands and staring at the man. What? What he'd just asked had nothing to do with his brother! Wait...had he even been listening? But before Kiyan could open his mouth to repeat the question, Zarak seemed to have finally remembered and answered him.

Bluntly. And vaguely. And...disinterestedly.

If his heart had sank before, what Zarak said now actually stung. Well, not what he said, but how he said it. He sounded distant. Maybe...what...what had Okonwe told him? And had he believed it? Oh Gods...maybe he did. Because he was sure acting weird, now. Or...or maybe he was just sick. Maybe it was because he'd been so sick, and that was why he was acting funny now. He didn't feel good. Yeah. Maybe it was wrong of Kiyan to bug him about it now, since he wasn't feeling good. He'd just have to be patient. Just have to wait.

Shoulders slumping, he looked down at the steps, bowing his head a little to try and hide his disappointment, even though that wouldn't work, really. "Oh...okay. I'm sorry. I probably shouldn't bug you about that when you were just all sick..." he said quietly, shifting from one foot to the other. Yeah. He was just sick. It was Zarak, after all! He...he wouldn't just...turn around and not like him anymore, or believe Okonwe suddenly, would he? After all they'd talked about? He seemed so different! Kiyan really saw him as a friend and, if he knew him long enough, maybe even a brother. An older brother, a way older brother, but still.

Yet a nagging voice in the back of his head reminded him that he'd only known him for a day.

Anything could happen. And that scared him.

"So...um...do you need anything? If you need anything? If you need anything, I can get you something..." Let it just be in his head.

Goldie

yep...the kid sure was a lousy liar.  He wore his emotions on his sleeves which only helped to increase Zarak's resolve.  If Kiyan believed he was going to be freed, everyone would know, and the plan would fail.  If it failed, both Kiyan and himself would be in terrible trouble with both tribes.  They would probably be punished severely...Kiyan for trying to run away from his punishment, again; and Zarak for trying to break the laws of their land and free the villian.

And....although he knew he was hurting the kid...it made him remember what and who he was.  This type of facade was normal for him!  How many villages had he tricked in order to free his fellow shipmates?  How many people had he conned to get what he wanted? This was absolutely no different.

Minus the fact that it was righteous.

In it's own way.

After all, it wasn't Kiyan's fault that his village was filled with a bunch of stuffed shirts with sticks up their asses.  Anyone who considered it nearly a captial punishment for consented sexual conduct needed a serious slap in the face.  After all, it was all the boys fault here...didn't they know that women were capable of seducing men just as much as men?  The only thing they had for them was to claim rape whenever they were going to get in trouble.

Zarak had never met this girl, but he already didn't like her.  If he didn't have to focus on Kiyan, he would have quite a bone to pick with her.  It's not like he'd do anything!!!  He'd just scare her a bit....let her know what it really feels like to be taken advantage of, and then maybe she'd change her attitude.

Ha!  that would be amusing.  And well worth the consequences.

But Kiyan's freedom first.  There was also the slight problem of having her recognize him and get them both into serious shit.

"Hmm?" he had been looking down at the skirt he had been given while his clothes were being washed.  He really wanted to put on his normal clothes....but it wouldn't help his plan to ask...

"Need som'thin'?" he asked again, the disinterested look still plastered on his features, "Nah...no' really.  Ye've already done anough."  ouch....that could be taken in many different ways and Kiyan might take it more towards what he had done to the girl.....and he seemed paranoid enough that that would be exactly what he would think.

"Um...d'ye know when we'll be gettin' on th'road?"  yup, and that just confirmed it.  He was playing his part well, and he just hoped that when all was said and done Kiyan would be able to forgive him.  But for now, hatred, and possibly fear would be the best way to save him.

Rhindeer

Ouch. Again.

Maybe it really all was in his head, but...Kiyan still couldn't help but take a small step backwards in surprise. He hadn't known Zarak long, sure, but...he'd never been cold to him before. And now he just seemed blunt, dinsinterested. Like he didn't even care. He'd done enough already...yeah. That stung, and Kiyan felt like he could just...disappear right then and there. It was bad enough to have someone he trusted now turn against him, like it seemed was what was happening with Zarak--he believed the adults...he believed them. Of course. He was an adult himself. Of course he'd believe their word over his...who was he kidding?--but it was even worse to have someone he looked up to and admired suddenly show disdain toward him.

It was like...Kiyan knew he hadn't done anything wrong, but he still felt like he'd failed. Like it really was his fault.

"Oh...okay..." he answered quietly, trying not to choke. Maybe it really was all in his head. Maybe he was just insecure. He'd never had a stable family or friends, always been a black sheep. Maybe it was just his own insecurities acting up. Yeah. He had a lot of those. It was just in his nature to hide them and act like everything was okay, even when it wasn't. Maybe that was why he made bad choices...why he went with that girl. Damnit...!

Well...he wasn't going to press the issue. If it was in his head, it was in his head and would solve itself. If it wasn't...he really didn't know what he was going to do. He was no longer even really worried about the trip, about the other tribe. That was okay. He knew they hated him, he knew his tribe disliked him. That had nothing on this.

Offering a weak smile, he bowed briefly to Zarak. "I understand." Maybe he just needed rest. Alone time. Taking a deep breath, he turned to leave and hang Zarak's clothes up to dry when Zarak asked his next question.

Kiyan's back stiffened and he froze before turning slowly to look at Zarak. "We...we'll be going whenever you're well enough to travel...I guess..." he answered slowly, staring at Zarak. And the knife dig in just a bit deeper. Zarak was avoiding his questions about his plans. He was distancing himself. He was being short and blunt. Not at all like he was before they came here. He was...oh no.

Suddenly, the thought came to Kiyan about what Zarak was. He was...a pirate. He travelled a lot. And he was far from home. He didn't want to stay here. Why would he. He was just interested in going to that tribe because they had contact with the ships! He just wanted to leave. He had no interest in helping him. He'd probably been planning this all along, right when Kiyan told him about other tribes having contact with outsiders! That's what this was all about! So now he was distancing himself! He'd been lying to him...all this time...

Kiyan's eyes narrowed and, with a sudden jolt, he turned and literally threw Zarak's still wet clothes at him as forcefully as he could. "Why don't you go ask Okonwe, you bastard!" he snapped before turning and bolting off. Let him tell Okonwe he'd done that, too. He really didn't give a crap!

It wasn't like he could go far, or that he dared to go far. He was really only keen on going as far as the stream. Still, he just...needed to get away. Needed to be alone for a while. Not that it really mattered. He was alone now, anyway, wasn't he? Psha. He should be used to that.

But he also couldn't let the bastard see just how hurt he really was, couldn't let him see the tears that he stubbornly dashed away. He just...he couldn't believe it. He couldn't believe he'd let himself be so easily played...

He shouldn't have trusted him. Right from the start. Gods, he was so damned stupid.

Goldie

He couldn't help the smile that pulled at the side of his lips.  It wasn't like he enjoyed hurting the boy's feelings, but it certainly did send a thrill down his spine thinking that he could read people almost as much as he could read the weather.  It was almost satisfying to know that he could befriend, or make enemies almost as simply as tossing a coin, or raising the pot in a bet.  It was thrilling...

because it was frightening.

Not to mention, this was his life!  He lived to deceive people!  Hell, he was already deceiving everyone in this village by telling them he was a trader!  Ha!  Of course they had no reason not to trust him, but along the same lines, they had no reason to trust him.  He was a stranger...

That was how he played Kiyan.  They had only known eachother for a short time and it was easy to break a trust so shortlived.  Kiyan didn't know Zarak, at least he didn't think he did now, or...he thought he finally understood him....which he didn't....ack it was confusing!  Zarak had been himself with the boy up until now, but he didn't know that!  Shit, he just showed it when he threw the clothes at his face!

Which he barely caught, not because he wasn't expecting it, but because he was still healing and his arms weren't as fast as they had been before the shipwreck.  They were still damp, but he wanted to wear them now...he wanted to get out of this damn skirt and back into manly clothes.  Of course, if he put on wet clothes the shawman would be on him in a heart beat, telling him he was stupid and that he was still healing and why the hell did he put on wet clothes.  Which meant that he would just have to wait.  Hopefully the sun that was promised today would dry them out fairly quick.

With a sigh he heaved himself to his feet and arranged his clothes on the porch front where the sun could hit them and then settled back down on the steps to enjoy the breeze.  After all, it wouldn't last long.  Okonwe was bound to know he was outside, especially with the way Kiyan's brother talked, and then he'd be hustled back inside where he'd have to convince her he was fit to travel and that he couldn't wait another day.

Of course, he knew that she wouldn't buy the cards he played...he had already been much too forward with her about how he felt about the kid...at least she would know that he was safe, when the rumors came from the other village.

Ah....helping kiyan escape would be the easy part...it would be convincing him of himself that would be tricky....trust was easily broken, and much too hard to rebuild.

Rhindeer

The door swung open suddenly and Saru suddenly excited Okonwe's house, grinning and clutching a soft leather pouch. "Thanks, Okonwe! I'll keep ya updated, tell ya how Rissa's doing!" he called back cheerfully as he made his way down the steps, giving an odd glance to the clothes Zarak had arranged on the porch and stepping his way carefully around them. Even if he found them odd, though, he politely refrained from commenting. Besides, he was far too excited, now, and in a hurry to get the tea mixture back to his wife.

"Bye, Zarak! I'll see ya 'round, eh?" he said with a wave, then paused. "Oh yeah, Okonwe wanted to see ya." That said, he gave another wave before bounding off, anxious to be back home.

"...Indeed, I do," came Okonwe's voice from up the stairs, and soon she had poked her head out the door, one eyebrow raised as she gave Zarak a disapproving look. "What are you doing out there? I swear, men...I turn my back for a second..." She shook her head and stepped out onto the porch, hands on her hips, and fixed him with a level stare. "You were strong enough to get down there, so you march your bum back up here. You just got over pneumonia; you need your rest. What were you doing out here, anyway?"

Then her eyes landed on the clothes. Blinking, she tilted her head and glanced around the area briefly. "And where's the boy?"

Goldie

Zarak didn't need to be looking at Saru to know the look he gave his drying clothes.  After all, Kiyan had pretty much done the same thing before.  Obviously they enjoyed wearing skirts or something...it was weird, this other side of the world.  Perhaps all men wore dresses?  

The thought made him chuckle softly to himself before waving after Kiyan's older brother as he hurried back to his tent...home....whatever they lived in....hell maybe they wore skirts and lived in giant boots.  That would be pretty interesting to see at least.

Watching Saru's frame disappear in the distance, he felt a twinge of guilt at the game he had started to play.  If his plan worked, the entire village wouldn't know if Kiyan lived or died...and he could only imagine the pain that would inflict upon his family.  After all, it looked as if Kiyan was loved by his brother, more than he might believe himself.  This punishment wasn't of their tribes choosing....and in fact he had been given a lesser sentence than having that girls betrothed run him through with a spear, like a gutted pig.

The tribe really cared about him....

He just hoped they didn't care about him enough to track them if they got away safely.  Although...they would only be angry with Zarak, not Kiyan, and he wouldn't ahve to go back to the other tribe....hopefully....not if everything went well.

"Huh?" he asked, realizing that Okonwe had directed a few questions and demands at him.  It just sunk in that Saru had told him he was wanted.  Oops.

"Oh...I know I 'as real'y sick." he told her, not moving from his spot on the stairs, "I'm feelin' better now, hones'.  It's like...." he paused, a sudden idea sinking in and he glanced skeptically up at her, "It's funny.....tha' of all th' places I've been...this's th'on'y place I've been tha' don' have magic."  it was enough for her to know what he suspected, if she had used magic after all, and vague enough that anyone listening wouldn't  see any connection.  Kiyan hadn't been very specific, but he didn't want to risk her getting into trouble if the tribe was vehemently against it!  She had saved his life!

Oiy....and that was the last question he wanted to answer.

Welps, no point in lying!  

"'e came back an' threw my clothes a' me afore runnin' off." He looked out over the porch, "Tha' way, I think." he pointed in the direction Kiyan had run.  It was the truth...just with the part that encouraged it cut out.

Half truths.  They were wonderful when you didn't want to be caught in a facade.

Rhindeer

Okonwe was still fixing him with that disapproving look, one usually reserved by parents for misbehaving children, when Zarak spoke and her expression softened. For a moment she was quiet, but then she shook her head. "Well, I'm certainly no expert about the rest of the world, and unless you've been everywhere and met everyone, I daresay you aren't, either," she answered simply, dusting her hands off on her skirt absently. "But if that's so, then it must be strange indeed. I'm certain there are many other things about my people that are 'funny' to you, given this isn't your world. Correct?"

She smiled at him, though, and if she was aware of what he was implying, she didn't show it. She might have slipped and said too much, however.

What Zarak said next wiped the smile off her face and made her eyebrows climb high on her forehead. "He threw your clothes at--oh Gods." She sighed heavily and rubbed her temple. "I'm sorry, Zarak, I'll...I'll have a talk with him." Walking down the stairs, she stepped past Zarak, cupped her hands around her mouth, turned in the direction he's pointed, and filled her lungs with air. "KIYAN! YOU GET YOUR BUM BACK OVER HERE, NOW!" she shouted, and if the other villagers heard, so be it. They'd find out sooner or later that he was back.

It wasn't long before Kiyan came jogging back, face flushed and eyes red, and he slowed to a walk when as he came closer, shooting a scathing glare at Zarak when he saw he was there. He gave the man a wide berth and, aside from that one initial glare, he quickly averted his eyes and refused to look at him again, body tense. This didn't pass Okonwe's notice and she quickly seized him by the arm when he was close enough.

"You apologize to Zarak, now. Why are you acting like this, anyway? What's wrong with you?" When Kiyan just clenched his jaw and shook his head, refusing to answer, Okonwe sighed, grabbed his shoulders, and made him turn to face Zarak, deciding not to push the issue. She'd thought they were friends, but she could have been wrong. "Throwing his clothes at him...you're more mature than that. Now apologize."

Kiyan curled his hands into fists and stared at the ground, still refusing to make eye contact. "Sorry," he forced out through grit teeth, not at all sounding it.

Goldie

Zarak smiled mildly as she skirted around his assumptions with the ease of a seasoned dancer.  He couldn't even read her face to see if he had touched a nerve.  Ah well, not everyone was easy to read, he knew that from experience.  He just hadn't expected to find it in this place.  Guess that goes to show what happens when you assume too much.  Kiyan may wear his heart out on his sleeves, but that's what got him in trouble in the first place.  He was playing a game that, poor kid, couldn't help but lose.

But sitting there, watching the kid's expressions almost made the pirate feel bad.  After all, for all Kiyan knew he had just betrayed his trust indefinitely.  Even after all of this was done, it would take a long while for the boy to trust his pirate friend again.  But who knew...he had been wrong about Okonwe, he could very well be mis-judging Kiyan as well.  Even if the kid did wear a skirt.  What a twisted world he had found himself in.

Heh.

"No worries" he countered Kiyan's biting apology, giving him his best smile in order to show that nothing at all had changed his opinion.  Damnit, he was going to be so vexed when this was all over!  "They're jus' clothes afte' all.  No harm done. I don' blame 'im."  Kiyan could take that whatever way he wanted.  It could be a direct jab at the fact that he was a criminal about to be shipped off to do penance, or it could simply be that Zarak understood that Kiyan felt betrayed by the one man whom he thought would be on his side.

He gave an inward sigh.  This was breaking the kid's spirits and he knew it.

Rhindeer

[TIME JUMP TIEMZ! Jumping to some days later, when Zarak is better and the tribe is leaving. <3 Sorry for how rushed this is, but wanted to get things rollin' again! Hope this is enough to reply to; if not, I'll add moar. xD]

News spread quickly in small villages, and before long the news of Zarak's arrival and Kiyan's return was all over the place. Fortunately for Kiyan, most people were more interested in the foreigner than in old drama, and Okonwe spent a lot of time chasing curious villagers away so that Zarak could rest. Only when he was well enough to get around on his own without exhausting himself did Okonwe let him fend for himself, too, and deal with the crowds that amassed around him wherever he went, of locals and Coryii alike.

His curly, light hair and lighter skin drew a lot of notice, as they were all darker skinned with brown to jet black straight hair. It was mostly his curly hair, though, which braver children would touch when they thought he wasn't looking. His accent drew a lot of giggles, and his clothes drew lifted eyebrows, but despite those differences he was a welcome guest--they prided themselves on their hospitality--that they simply wanted to learn more about.

About him and where he'd come from.

Kiyan spent most of those days running errands for Okonwe and trying to make himself invisible, though his brother came to visit a few times, which he appreciated. Saru didn't treat him like an outcast. And despite the hurt and betrayal, he was glad Zarak was so popular. It meant less attention on him.

When Zarak was around, he simply tried not to talk to him. If Zarak spoke to him, he gave curt, concise answers, usually only a couple of words long. Whatever it took to answer, no more and no less. He didn't look at him. Just gave him the cold shoulder just like he'd done to him. Okonwe got on him for it, but he didn't care. He had never even asked for Zarak's help--the man had offered if of his own will--and then he had gone and stabbed him in the back. All that talk, all that advice...all lies. A pirate. He shouldn't have believed his stories about noble pirates...but he wouldn't snitch. He was better than that, way better than Zarak.

Finally, the dreaded date rolled around and it was time to leave. Okonwe and the other Elders had gotten the Coryii to agree to taking Zarak with them, though it hadn't taken much convincing on their part. They rather liked him.

It was a sunny, humid morning that found Kiyan dressed and outside, pacing back and forth and kicking at clumps of dirt as he waited outside Okonwe's hut for Okonwe and Zarak. He had woken up early when the sky was still dark, nervous energy and the clammy air making sleep a lost cause. The sun was still rising over the ocean, and he stole nervous glances toward, then sighed and slumped down on the steps leading up to Okonwe's door.

The Coryii were leaving at a little past sunrise, and that was when they were to meet up with them. From inside the hut he could hear Okonwe barking at Zarak to get up. Some part of him seriously considered running again and seeing just how far he could get, but he knew he would have just wasted needed energy. People were milling about outside and had been all night, finalizing trade with the Coryii, helping them pack their supplies...and what was the point, anyway? He'd be found eventually, or wander into dangerous territory...

And right now, he was just tired of running. Or just tired in general.

Goldie

The days that passed by couldn't have gone any quicker for the pirate. He had become the shiny, new toy for these tribal people and found himself in the company of many each passing hour. By nature Zarak was an amiable guy, and he easily slipped in and out of conversations regarding his life prior to finding their deliquent runaway. Of course, this meant that a made-up history was a must and he found himself thinking on his feet constantly. Each sentence out of his mouth threatened contradiction, but he had years of practice under his belt. Even if he were to slip, it would be so minute that only someone practiced in finding lies would discover his charade.

Thus, Zarak the Pirate quickly became Zarakime Fal the merchant trader; Zarak for short of course. He had inherited his fathers businessman character and quickly learned where to find the best deals and how to sell them for the most possible. Honesty was the virtue of his family and was the reason that so many customers continued to trade happily with such a distinguished family, full of integrity. These stories, of course, were crafted to woo these people into believing every word from his mouth. If he was such a trustworthy trader, then of course he would continue those morals into his everyday life. Never in a million years would he be planning to do anything but travel with the caravan and find new trading partners with the neighboring tribe.

Zarak the trustworthy.

That was a laugh! Even he could appreciate the irony in the situation. After leaving the village, he was planning on making a deal with that other tribe...and not a deal with furs or fruit...a deal for Kiyan's life. He was good at these games, but was he good enough? Would the hatred they bore towards Kiyan be strong enough to lead them down his manipulative road?

The Coryii would know by now that they were escorting a distinguished trader...and of course they had not heard exactly what he was suppose to be trading...

Gods he hoped this would work. And that was a feat because he didn't even believe in Gods for which to pray...He had to rely on himself and his own design in order to get the kid out of this mess. Even if it was partially his fault (in his experience sex took two people) no one deserved to be sold just because the girl decided to claim "rape" to get out of a sticky situation. He disliked women who lied to save their own skin, and Kiyan was too innocent to have lied about his story. The poor kid wouldn't be able to lie if his life depended on it.

After this...Kiyan would be able to escape this life without having people chase after him...

"I'm up, I'm up..." He growled at Okonwe as she shouted at him, rolling out of the small cot he had been given for his time here. He slipped his shirt over his head and pulled his knee-high boots onto his feet. A few days was not nearly enough time for him to don the man-skirts these people insisted on wearing. That would be the first thing to go after getting Kiyan out. He'd get some pants and shirts for him and he'd be damned if he complained!

Running his hand through his curly hair, he tied it tightly back at the nape of his neck before looking around for Okonwe. After word got back to her that Kiyan had been "sold" to Zarak the "slaver" he was certain that she would hunt him down, come hell or high water. Despite he connection to the village, Zarak could tell that she cared about the boy a lot. He couldn't tell her his plans...she would feel obligated to turn him in...but he could alleviate her fears...

"Before we go..." he put his hand on her shoulder to grab her attention, "I jus' need ya t'know that whatev'r happens, I'll keep an eye on Kiyan. I'll keep 'im safe." He made sure that while he said this he looked directly down into her eyes to show her his sincerity and honesty. There could be no doubt in her mind, with his cool piercing gaze, that he could be lying. Without waiting for a reply, his serious expression was replaced by the carefree smile he was so use to wearing these past few days.

"Let's go then, mmm?" With a small wink in her direction, he turned towards the door and walked out into the dull gray of the early sunrise. Stretching his hands above his head, Zarak breathed in the fresh morning air before sighting Kiyan out of the corner of his eye.

"Ready for an adventure?" he asked him with a smile. The best option now was to get Kiyan as mad at him as possible. Kiyan needed to hate him if he was going to pull this off. It needed to be convincing....and right now...being cheerful in lieu of Kiyan's disgrace would definitely be salt in an already gushing wound...

Rhindeer

Okonwe was bustling around the hut cleaning, more to distract herself than anything when a hand on her shoulder made her stop and spin around. Zarak. She met his eyes as he spoke to her and she believed him, saw the honesty there and felt like a great burden had been lifted. For all her hard talk, that was really all it was--tough love, though she doubted Kiyan had ever noticed and doubted he ever would. That didn't matter, though. She had been worried about him and now she felt better knowing that he would have a guardian.

She watched him go, face softening with a smile, and shook her head. He cared for Kiyan and for that she was thankful. She quickly went about finishing what she was doing and then headed to the door to join them outside. She would be the one leading the way.

Outside, Kiyan heard someone come outside and his shoulders jerked convulsively when he looked over and saw that it was Zarak. With a glower, he hitched them up and took a calming breath, turning his back to the man. Give him the cold shoulder, the silent treatment. He had nothing to say to him and he didn't think he could stomach looking at him. Ignore him, ignore him, ignore him. Stay cold. He still couldn't help but give Zarak a quick backward glance--and he could have hit the man when he saw how cheerfully he was smiling.

Traitor.

He might have been able to ignore Zarak. Might have been able to shut him out dnd pretend he wasn't there. But then Zarak had to go and open his mouth, and all the pent up rage and hurt and betrayal came pouring out like water from a failed dam.

"Adventure?!" Kiyan shot back, whirling on Zarak with his hands clenched into fists. Right then, at that moment, he wanted nothing more than to punch Zarak square in the jaw and knock that smile right off his face. What did he have to lose? He was a disgrace, his life was over and the one person he thought would help him--whose life he had saved--had turned out to be a liar. He had nothing to lose! It couldn't possibly get any worse. But at least this might make him feel a little better! "Adventure?! You dung-licking bastard! I trusted you!"

"Kiyan!" Okonwe yelled, rushing down the steps, but the boy ignored her.

And then he did it, swung his fist as hard as he could at Zarak's nose.

Goldie

Zarak allowed his perfectly crafted smile to falter when Kiyan began yelling. He had touched the nerve he was hoping for and wished that he felt worse about it. Instead, he realized that yes, he did still have it even after getting thrown overboard and nearly drowned in the ocean's suffocating embrace. Kiyan had saved his life and Zarak did wish that he could tell the kid that everything was going to be ok and it was all part of the plan.

At this point he probably wouldn't believe him, and he was a terrible liar. Standing here watching the boy lose the temper that he, obviously, told himself to keep in check helped Zarak feel less terrible about deceiving him. He just hoped that, maybe, he'd be able to convince him when all was said and done that he was not as evil as he led him to believe.

That would be an interesting conversation.

And something he'd focus on dealing with after all of this went down. First thing was first, they needed to leave this village and start the journey to the next. After they were away, he'd be able to play his hand. Now it all depended on how much these folks really hated Kiyan... and if they were stuck on tradition.

Which would mean he'd have to pull out all of his charms and convince them they they could say he turned on them and fought away with Kiyan. However, that would also mean they would feel obligated to chase after him and what a poor use of resources just to get rid of the hooligan.

Damn...he just hoped that it worked.

Then Kiyan's fist exploded from his side and his smile really did falter, and not on choice. For a split second he went to dodge the blow and decided better of it. This would be another argument he could use against the neighboring tribe. Instead of dodging, he leaded into the punch giving it more umph than it would have it he had just stood still.

CRACK

The precise moment he turned his head to the right, Kiyan's hand made contact to the side of his nose and he felt the bone snap. He might be smaller than Zarak, but his punch (even without help) was a fairly powerful blow. He had not expected that from him, and the tears that clouded his vision from the broken nose had definitely not been factored into the equation. If Zarak had thought the blow would have been strong enough to break his nose, he would have just stood still and let it hit him...his leaning into it gave just the right amount of force.

Well, he hoped that was enough to make Kiyan feel better.

Blood gushed from his nose and he used his hands to try and quench the flow, too dazed at the moment to find cloth or something other than his fingers which were doing a pretty terrible job.

Okonwe's cries reached his ears and he anticipated her anger, trying to wave it off with a sweep of his hand.

"'sok" he told her, voice nasally and blood was seeping into the corners of his mouth as he spoke. "He can be man, s'ok by me. Jus'...." wincing, he felt around the bridge of his nose and then snapped it back in place with a gasp. No matter how many times he'd broken it, Zarak was sure that broken noses were quite possible the worst broken bone. He blinked vigorously, his entire face stinging with the setting of the bone.

"Can I have...uh...a towel or somethin'?" his entire face was covered in his own blood, "I don' wanna hold up the caravan, I'll be ok, promise ya. I've had worse fo'sure."

God he was good at pissing the kid off, wasn't he? If he ever thought for a second that Zarak's broken nose would slow down his decent, Zarak's last words would dash any of that.

Rhindeer

Kiyan didn't know what he expected when he threw that punch, but part of him had not expected it to actually connect, to feel bone snap. He raised his fist again, ready for another strike, but then froze on the spot when he actually saw the damage.

Zarak just standing there, blood seeping between his fingers and dripping to the ground, smearing his face...

The anger drained out of him as quickly as it had set in and he couldn't look away, eyes wide and locked on Zarak's face. He could hear him talking, hear Okonwe yelling something, but it was like it was coming to him from a great distance. Drip, drip, red droplets sank into the soil beneath their feet. That looked like a lot of blood. Kiyan had injured himself before, little scraps and cuts and such, but he had never seen blood gush from a wound like that and...and...he had done that. He stared, transfixed with horror, as Zarak felt around his bloody nose and then gave it a jerk.

The color drained from Kiyan's face and he had to turn away and slap a hand over his mouth, swallowing hard when he felt his throat convulse. Made a lovely retching sound effect as a result, too. That was a lot of blood...

"That is not okay!" Okonwe snapped, hurrying back up the steps and into her home so she could grab a towel. She returned seconds later and swatted Zarak's hands away so she could gently press the towel to his face. "That you've had worse is not the point! Kiyan, you fool, are you trying to make things worse for yourself? I've heard of self sabotage before but--" She cut off with a frustrated groan and handed the towel off to Zarak so she could march on over to Kiyan, take him by the shoulders, and give him a firm shake. "I can't believe you. Apologize!"

"No."

"What do you mean, no?"

Kiyan kept his eyes down and shrugged out of her grip. "I'm not sorry."

He shot a hard glare Zarak's way, a look that clearly said, You deserved that and I don't regret a thing. For all that the sight of blood startled him, for all that he still couldn't look at him for very long right now, gods if that hadn't felt amazing.

He turned his back to them both and started to walk, stiffly. "Let's just go meet the Coryii already."