Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Change of Scenery [Haze!]

Started by Juno, December 03, 2011, 06:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

At first she ignored him, still quite angry and worked up about the whole thing. She could hear him scrambling to pick up his things and hoped dearly that he would just go on his way and leave her alone. When he followed after her, though, she gave things a second look-over.

She slowed down and eventually stopped after she felt his hand on her shoulder, knowing it'd probably hurt him quite a bit to go chasing after her. When he apologized, Dacia huffed and finally turned around to face him. His words seemed genuine, but she was determined to be stubborn and attempt to look unaffected.

It stung a bit hearing him say he was sorry he'd kissed her. She'd hoped it would've meant even something small to him for it being such a big deal to her, as well as startling her so bad. Not wanting to look hurt or irritated more than she was, though, she lightened up as he spoke, her face softening as he asked for her forgiveness.

"Dorian," she sighed. The look on his face...she couldn't be angry at that, especially after he'd apologized so sincerely. "Okay...I forgive you, just...try not to do stupid things?" She knew it was an impossible request already as everyone had their faults. Dacia was glad, however, that Dorian seemed to care enough for her feelings to try to repair the damage. "I still think you shouldn't have climbed the tree. What were you thinking?"

Haze

Dorian lit up as she accepted his apology. He beamed from ear to ear "Thanks, Dacia." He almost laughed again as she asked him not to stupid things. "And I'll try. That's all I can promise. Sometimes my body does things before my brain can tell me not to."

"I still think you shouldn't have climbed the tree. What were you thinking?"

"I was thinking I could get in your-" He coughed, turing bright red. "Did I mention that I sometimes speak before my brain tells me not to, too?" He pulled a cheesy, half-apologetic, half-bashful grin.

He cleared his throat, purposefully looking straight ahead, eyes fixated on the road ahead. "So, where are we going, milady? You know, I head there are a few bears through the forest here. It's a good thing I'm here. I can protect you, y'know." He patted the hilt of his sword, and motioned to his bow and arrows. "I'm a good shot."

Except when it comes to you, apparently

Juno

It took her a few moments, but when she understood what he was going to say she also turned a dark shade of red. She was still a virgin, but he didn't have to know that. "Ugh." She rolled her eyes. "Men are such pigs..." She took this brief moment of confidence to really get a look at him, though.

The entire time they'd been together she'd been too focused on other things, but now she noticed that he really was quite the looker. She assumed he already had someone or a few someones waiting for him wherever he was traveling to already, but that didn't stop her from admiring anyhow. Even as he looked towards the road she could see his eyes were vibrant and so full of life.

When he mentioned "we," though, she snapped out of it and immediately quirked her brow to give him a look. "Uh, 'we?' Protect? No no no no no, I definitely don't need protecting, Dorian, I'm fine." Dacia wouldn't admit immediately, though, that she still liked the gesture.

"I suppose there are bears, but I've never seen one around before myself, to be honest. And...I don't think shooting at a bear would be a good idea, you might miss and just piss it off. Then it would just eat you," she teased. She shrugged and began walking at a much more leisurely pace than before.

"I suppose you could tag along if you want, but I'm actually just out here to get away from crowds of people for a bit. I like the quiet... I like people, too, but I guess I just wanted some time for a more relaxed take on life for a change. So, I'm not really going anywhere specifically. Where are you headed?"

Haze

Correction, Dacia, most men are pigs. I'm not. Not really. I hope you'll realise that soon Even though his thoughts were genuine, Dorian lifted a hand to his chest dramatically and declared "How rude!" But true, he'd deserved it.

As they walked he felt her eyes on him, and he resisted the urge to turn and smile at her. Instead, he let her have her perve, with a little inner gloat. Yes, yes I am.

Dorian huffed indignantly at her teasing, and sqaured his shoulders, drawing himself up to his tallest and puffing out his chest the best he could without collapsing. "Pssshhhh...It would not eat me!" he snorted. "I would kill it, skin it, and eat it's eyeballs for dinner. Actually... not eyeballs. They give me the heebees." He shuddered, and rolled his eyes.

"Well, thanks for the permission. I suppose I will come along." He peered at her with a cheeky flash of a smile "to not protect you. And I promise I can be quiet. I don't really feel like dancing right now, anyhow."

"I'm not going anywhere. So, I'll follow your lead. Milady." He figured that'd be enough to piss her off.

Juno

Dacia liked how light their conversation seemed now. She was glad he wasn't taking her teasing all that seriously. His immaturity was definitely something she'd have to get used to, but she couldn't outright say she didn't like it at all. In fact, she found it quite refreshing.

"So basically you're just going to follow around some girl you hardly know, who's also mean to you, for the heck of it?" Dacia snickered, but she knew it was probably true. She figured he'd get bored of her easily and go on his way at some point, so she didn't really mind him tagging along. Still, she was quite curious about him and would have many things to ask about once she was a bit more comfortable around him...if she got more comfortable.

Snorting at his attempt to get under her skin, she rolled her eyes and patted his arm gently. "Tease all you want, Dorian, I'll get you back, you know."

"I guess we can keep going this way for now. If we come across a good spot to make camp for the night and maybe find a bit of food and some fresh water that would be nice, though, so keep an eye out, alright?"

Haze

"So basically you're just going to follow around some girl you hardly know, who's also mean to you, for the heck of it?"

"Nope, I'm following around a pretty girl I hardly know, who is mean to me, just for the heck of it." He grinned again, and settled into the walk, only wincing every now and again.

As she patted his arm, something like he'd never known before shot through him. It was a kind of excitement. A beating, or a breath. Like something had awakened in himm and he didn't know what it was. The feeling left as quickly as it came on, and for a moment Dorian looked perplexed. He frowned, staring at his arm, lips pursed.

"...so keep an eye out, alright?"

He barely heard her, but nodded anyway. "Yeah," he responded slowly, looking up from his arm into her face. She really was pretty. "I don't think I'll be able to walk for very long today in any case."

He didn't say anything more, just looked at the ground pensively, and every now and again looked up to check if they could stop. His ribs were really hurting now, and he wanted to stop.

Juno

Acknowledging his injury, she nodded and settled into silence as they went along. Even though he hadn't wanted to walk along, there really were parts of the forest Dacia didn't want to sleep in. She knew the stories of particular locations and chose not to put them in a potentially dangerous situation even though she was fairly worn out and ready to stop as well.

After a couple of hours of walking with Dorian, Dacia finally slowed her pace and veered off into the bushes. "Come on, it looks like something's ahead." She was right, there was enough space to set up a small camp and that's all she really cared about.

There wasn't going to be anything extremely comfortable for Dorian, which she felt a bit bad about considering his condition. She figured a few days out in the forest weren't going to hinder his progress too much, that he'd probably just stay in whatever town they would eventually come across to heal.

A sheltered little area was what she'd seen. There was enough room for a small fire, some sleeping space, and not much else. Once she'd reached it she set down her pack and took a few moments to stretch her limbs. "Whew. Today's been pretty rough, hm?" she asked, glancing to Dorian.

Haze

Dorian sighed with relief as they dumped their packs down in the camp. He was aching all over, and was sure he'd have many, many bruises in the morning. He couldn't just stop though. He knew it would be a rough night, and he should get as much sleep as possible, but he knew that wasn't going to happen. Dorian never slept well out in the open.

He hummed in reply to Dacia's question, but didn't say anything except for "I'll get a fire started." He was still troubled by the effect her touch had had on him. Why hadn't he felt it earlier, when he'd kissed her? Probably because he was being a jerk, that was why.

It wasn't like him to get all inward and pensive, but he bustled around their camp searching for twigs and leaves. When he'd gathered everything up, he dumped it in the middle of the clearing, and set about making the fire.

Once it was lit, he frowned. He didn't have a lot of food, except for a little dried meat. He turned his back to the fire, and rummaged through his pack. He had a sleeping roll and blanket laid out in a matter on minutes, and had plopped himself in front of the fire, gnawing on a slab of meat.

All this time he'd avoided speaking to Dacia, and as he chewed his food, he finally said "Where are you from, Dacia?"

Juno

She was glad when he offered to start a fire for them, assuming that he wasn't feeling as bad as she'd thought he was. Watching him begin his little hunt of sorts for materials, she knelt down to her pack and retrieved the big canteen she had that was nearly empty. "Um, I'm gonna go get some water," she mumbled before setting off deeper into the brush in search of a creek.

When she returned, she was brighter and cheerier with her nagging thirst satisfied and canteen filled. Replacing the item into her bag, she then pulled out the rest of her apple to munch on.

Sitting across the fire from Dorian, she took a bite from the fresher side of the apple and watched him for a moment, wondering why he looked so...unhappy? Furrowing her brow, she wondered if she'd done something wrong or she'd had them walking for too long. When he broke their silence, though, she put those worries aside.

Of course he wouldn't ask an easier question, though. "Where I'm from? Um...well honestly I don't know too much about that. I mean...well, see, I wasn't really raised by family so I kind of don't, uh, know, actually." She hoped he might leave it at that and just assume she was an orphan because it would be easier than explaining the past she even could remember. Trying to get out of actually answering, she quickly followed-up with, "Uh, so what's the sword for? You claim you're capable of protecting me, but why do you really have it? And your bow and arrows? Are you a hunter?"

Haze

Dorian glanced over as she spoke, studying her face. She seemed a little uncomfortable, answering, and vague. He frowned a little, but decided not to question further. Maybe she'd tell him on her own accord one day. Then it was his turn. She wanted to know about his sword. And a hunter! Who was she kidding?

"I'm not a hunter." He shook his head "I was a soldier. But... I got bored. There wasn't enough pretty women to save, so I decided to go on the road. It's a lot more fun. And I guess I like shiny things. My sword is shiny. That's the only reason I have it. I can't actually use it." He grinned, back to his boyish self. He decided to put away the slight unease. It was obvious she hadn't felt anything. Stretching back a little, he cocked his head to the side. "And I am capable of saving you, thank you very much. I'm just kidding, by the way... about the sword. You haven't seen the way I move with a sword. We're like magic. And despite what you think, I am a very good shot." He teased a little, but she would be able to tell that he thought very highly of himself, and his abilities.

He fell silent for a moment, a sudden frown on his face. He looked to the left, and lifted his finger to his lips "Shh..." The frown deepened, as a soft snuffling cut through the night air. It was very slight, and the crunch of paw-steps was even lighter, but he'd heard it. A gift, he supposed, from his Father. He leaped into a crouch, one hand balancing him on the ground, the other at the hilt of his sword. He was immediately alert, strong jaw clenched, eyes stone set towards the forest. "Wait here." He said, very softly, and glanced over at her. His face no longer held any of the joking he'd had a moment ago, but was full of actual concern and concentration. "Please."

He sprang into action, snatching up his bow and quiver of arrows on his way, and disappeared into the trees. It wasn't long before he found what he had heard. I told her there were bears around here! He shook his head wryly, as he watched the bear. It was near the creek, and his face paled slightly, remembering that Dacia had just been there, filling her water container. Eyes still set on the predator, his hand left his sword, and pulled his bow and an arrow. He stood there for a moment, arrow sighted down the length of his arm.

Then the bear called softly, and two small cubs called in reply, bounding out of the forest a little way off, and to their mother. Dorian lowered the bow and arrow with a sigh of relief. As long as they were quiet, and didn't disturb the bears, they should be fine. But he'd stay on the lookout tonight. Without turning his back on the huge creature, he stepped back silently into the shadows.

Juno

Dacia couldn't help but roll her eyes at his comment about pretty girls. "You sure are preoccupied with pretty things, Dorian," she said with heavy sarcasm. She didn't quite believe what he said about his sword skills, she'd believe it when she saw it, which she hoped would be never.

When things got serious, though, she wondered why he was frowning. She hadn't heard the noise he had and had no idea why he wanted her to wait around while he went off and did whatever it was he was going to do. "Um, how about no," she muttered after he'd disappeared off where she'd just come from a few moments before.

Quickly hopping to her feet, she jogged after him. Not a moment, later, though, she heard the rough, grunted calls of a bear in the distance. Eyes widening, she slowed to a walk as she approached Dorian's back, decided to remain a few feet away from him so he wouldn't see her there. Dacia watched over his shoulder silently, wondering what the bear would do, but immediately turned her attention to the two adorable cubs that appeared nearby, obviously responding to their mother.

It took a lot for her not to audibly react, but her face twisted into one of absolute adoration for the little cuties just beyond the creek. She became slightly startled as Dorian started backing toward her. Not wanting him to see that she was there, she quickly turned to go back to camp and did her best to run quietly. Just as she was reaching the edge of where clearing met trees, she tripped. Of course she would trip, she wasn't at all looking where she was going. Unthinkingly, she let out a short yelp as she caught herself and quickly covered her mouth, hoping she hadn't startled the bear or that Dorian had heard...but she could hope.

Haze

All within a manner of seconds, a few things happened. A yelp echoed through the forest, and Dorian shook his head. Of course she hadn't stayed at the camp. She wouldn't listen, even if it was for her own good. He glanced over at the bear, who was looking up too. The mama bear had heard the cry, and knew it wasn't an animal. Immediately Dorian back pedalled. The bear was sniffing the air, and he knew she'd pick up his scent.

His chest was aching profusely, and he let out a string of swear words as he nimbly sped back through the forest. Sure enough, there was Dacia, sprawled out on the ground. Ignoring the pain in his chest Just be a man, he leant down, grabbed her up under the arm, and hoisted her to her feet. Pushing him ahead of her, and he once again drew up his bow. "Come on." He said, breath ragged and pained. "She heard you. And she's coming." He frowned dissaprovingly. "I told you to stay."

He hoped that she would stand at least beside him, if not behind him. The mother bear came crashing through the trees. Dorian grimaced. He didn't want to have to do this. He lifted his bow, sighted the arrow, and pulled the string tight.

Juno

Uh-oh, she was in trouble now.

Dacia heard Dorian coming back toward her and before she could scramble back up onto her feet she felt herself being lifted up. Immediately, his words angered her, though. "Stay? Stay? What am I? Your dog? Your pet? No! I'm not going to stay, I'm not going to do what you tell me to, you aren't my superior in any way, shape, or form, thank you very much!" she hissed.

Then she heard the bear making a dash for them, saw Dorian drawing an arrow for her, and her heart sunk. "Dorian, no!" she yelled at him, swinging herself around to plant herself in front of his weapon. "What are you doing? She has cubs! Babies! Don't hurt her, she won't do anything to us!" Her last sentence wasn't nearly as strong as the rest of her speech. At this point she heard the telling snarl of the bear tearing through the brush, barreling toward them, and, now, she wasn't so confident in her proclamation of safety.

She could see the mass of dark fur now, her top half clearly visible as she made a bee line for them now. Dacia's face began to turn white, knowing that this bear was officially a danger to them, but knowing that if she died it would be for her cubs. "Dorian...," she pleaded, turning to face him again, eyes clearly showing her fear. With that, she bolted away from the bear, running as fast as she could as she scanned the area for a tree to hide in, hoping to all the gods that she wouldn't be strong enough to topple it.

Haze

"Do you have a DEATH WISH!?" Dorian roared as Dacia put herself in front of the bow. He was seeing red by now. His face was pure fury - but it wasn't necessarily at her. Yes, he was made that she couldn't just listen to common sense - because he was capable of common sense every now and again, but he was more mad that they were in danger, after everything that had already happened earlier in the day. "It's your fault she's coming anyhow. If you you had just STAYED! Now get out of the way!" But his venomous command was pointless.  She'd seen the bear charging towards them out of the forest.

As he watched the colour drain from her face, his eyes narrowed, but at her pleading, he said softly "I don't like this anymore than you do...now go. I'll take care of it." He heaved a heavy sigh, and once he was sure Dacia was well clear, he took aim.

The bear made it easy. She stood on hind legs and ambled into the clearing, roaring as she laid eyes on Dorian. Everything around him slowed down. All sound faded away. His eyes seemed to only see the bear, and the throbbing area around it's heart. He drew the string back tighter, and with the slightest of moves, released the arrow.

It soared through the air, and hit it's target true. Dorian was pleased to see that the bear toppled. Cautiously he stepped closer, feet light on the earth. Extracting a dagger from his belt he checked to see that the bear was in fact gone. It breathed it's last with Dorian's hand on it's head.

He didn't thrive on killing. He didn't enjoy it. And this poor animal had only wanted to protect her young. Dorian stayed kneeling beside the huge creature for a few more quiet moments.

Juno

Her only focus was escape, she heard the booming roar behind her. Even as she heard the unmistakeable slice through the air as Dorian shot an arrow at the bear, she was still running. When she figured out that the bear wasn't chasing her, though, she stopped, turned around, and carefully and quietly went back. "Dorian?" she called, keeping her voice soft in case the huge animal was still out there.

When she entered the clearing and saw him kneeling beside the great animal, she touched her hand to her mouth as she inched her way forward. "She's not-....she isn't dead...is she?" she asked, though she already knew the answer.

Tears began gathering in her eyes as she moved closer and got a better look at the motionless body. Even though she could see the end of his arrow sticking out of her chest, she didn't want to believe that such a creature had been felled when it had young to attend to. "No... She's just- she's just passed out, right? You just scared her is all, right?" she asked, her voice tense as she knew what his answer would be.

She couldn't help it as tears began leaking down across her cheeks. She knelt in front of the bear and carefully touched a hand flat against her thick coat. Dacia could feel the warmth still beneath and it scared her. "Dorian-" A soft rustle from the bushes startled her and she lifted her head, praying that there wasn't another one out there.

A few moments later, though, and she saw a pair of light brown heads poke out. She couldn't contain herself now, the sight of it was too much. Tears blurring her vision as they gushed forth, she watched as the cubs crawled out to sniff their mother, snorting and bonking their heads against her still form, calling to her when she remained motionless. "Oh, Dorian, no... Look at them! Look at them! This is horrible! What are we going to do?!"

Haze

"She's not-....she isn't dead...is she?" she asked, though she already knew the answer.

Dorian looked up, his eyes hard. He was furious. It was her fault that he'd had to kill the majestic creature. It was her fault he'd had to shed blood. And it was her bloody fault that he had cracked ribs. But as the girl inched closer, his eyes softened. She was truly upset.

As she knelt, asking unnecessary questions, Dorian sighed. As angry as he was, he hated to see such a pretty woman upset. "I'm sorry, Dacia," he said softly, siddling over to her, and wrapping an arm around her shoulder. "I'm sorry. I had to. It was quick. I made it quick. I'm sorry."  

He was so somber, and so wanting to comfort the crying girl, he'd forgotten to be angry for the moment. "Hey, come on." He strained, lifting a hand to brush away the tears falling from Dacia's cheeks, "don't cry. Please don't cry"

Oh my lord... what do I do? She's crying? What do I do? Argh!

With the rustle, his arm abruptly dropped from Dacia's shoulder, and the knife hilt was clenched in his fist. But is was just the cubs. Dacia began her wailing about the two little tykes, and Dorian only just refrained from rolling his eyes. Sheathing the dagger, he rose onto his knees, pulling Dacia up with him. "Quit it..." he said with a grin. "I'll show you what we're going to do..."

He waited for the cubs to come nearer, and whispered "fancy a pet bear?" He winked, and then held out his hand to the nearest cub. Of course, it would smell it's mother on his hand. He'd been touching the beast's head. The little thing bumbled over, with a little grunt, batting it's head against Dorian's palm. Very slowly, so as not to frighten the little thing, Dorian reached out, and picked it up around it's middle. the cub gave a little yelp, and as soon as Dorian began stroking it's fur, it settled down, and simply rolled around in his lap.

With a twinkle in his eye, he grinned at Dacia, and nodded to the other little cub, sitting forlornly on it's behind and looking comically between the two humans. "Your one."

Juno

His comforting didn't go unnoticed, but Dacia couldn't help how upset she was. She knew she was mostly to blame for all of this and she felt so, so guilty that she now had to witness two adorable cubs crying to their now dead mother.  

Watching with him as the cubs slowly inched closer to them, her eyes widened at he prospect he was proposing. "What?! A pet bear?" she hissed, narrowing her eyes as she watched him coaxing one of the furry bundles closer. She winced at the yelping noise the cub made when Dorian picked it up, but was surprised at how easily it settled down and seemed almost...carefree with him.

When he gestured to the other cub sitting just beyond her reach, she sniffled and wiped away the tears that had gathered. "Mine? But it's just a baby, I don't know how to take care of a baby bear, Dorian. Look at me, I can hardly take care of myself!" Even as she said all of this her eyes kept wandering over to the little thing.

Sighing, she scooted closer and gently picked up the cub, scooping her up and placing her on her lap. She wasn't sure how she was going to take care of this thing, let alone how they were going to potentially travel with two! Still, they were adorable and she hoped that they could figure out some way care for them and protect them. They did need someone now that their mother was gone or they would surely die out in the wilderness here. "Fine, we can keep them until we can find someone to take them off of our hands, okay? It's hard enough to feed myself, and I honestly have no idea how we're going to be able to do this."

She fell silent for a few moments before turning to look up at Dorian with softer eyes than before. "Dorian..., thank you, you saved me from my own...stupidity." Surely he couldn't be as bad as she'd thought if he'd risked his life like he had. Her tears drying up, she managed to crack a soft smile for his benefit as she stroked the cub's tummy.

Haze

She was rambling on about not being able to look after herself, let alone another being, and Dorian watched with interest as she worked her way around to the point that actually yes, they would be able to care for the two little ones.

Dorian grinned ridiculously at the gooish expression on her face as she coaxed the little bear into her arms. Then she lifted her eyes to him, soft eyes, and he felt that thrill from earlier again. What was it about this woman? She had the ability to make him mad as hell one minute, and a sappy mess the next.

"So... " He said slowly, leaning over, "Dacia.... are you saying that... actually you do need a protector?" His grin broadened. "Like... you are actually helpless and need me?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"I mean, from the moment I saw you in that tree, I thought to myself 'Now there is a helpless mess. I better go and rescue her.' Falling from the tree was all part of the plan... Now, here we are with kids. " he wiggled his eyebrows up and down, eyes starting to sparkle with mirth. "And now that you admit it, that you need me to save you, you may as well admit to the other truth."

His grin was so wide, it could have broken his face. "You want me."

Juno

Once she realized what he was saying her expression turned sour and disgusted. Helpless mess?! Part of the plan?! Oh, she was angry now. "I am not helpless, and I don't need anyone to protect me! I just-! Can't you just be glad that I'm thankful for your help? Not everything has to be about protection, Dorian!!" She shook her head and sighed, gaze turning to the cute little bundle in her lap.

"Psht, you wish I wanted to have kids with you," she mumbled, rolling her eyes. She could accept his teasing and occasional delusions about her needing his help, but now he was simply just taking things too far!

"Dorian!" she squeaked, hardly able to contain her irritation. The silly grin on his face was more than she could bear, the smile so eager and she knew he thought he was right. "NO! No! I do not! What in the world would make you think gratitude equals attraction?!"

She'd startled the cubs a bit, she could see, and that was the only reason she simmered down and didn't outright yell and reach over to give him a good shake...at least for now.

Haze

Dorian continued to smile, right through her tirade. She might think she didn't need him, but she did. She'd run away from the bear, and his bravado had saved them both from death. He knew it, she knew it. His eyes took on a lazy, pleased with self glaze, and he absently petted the little cub.

Can't let her know I actually kinda like her. Gotta be cool. Gotta be cool.

He calmed his startled cub down, with a "hush," slowly, methodically stroking it's head. He refused to reply to her, and instead gave her an infuriatingly knowing look.
"So, what are you going to name yours?"