Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Looking out on the day

Started by Anonymous, January 03, 2012, 10:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The Hierophant's fingers curled around the edge of the window, her nutmeg brown eyes staring blankly out at the world from her window. The view from the highest point of Baile City — atop their Great Oak — was darkened by the presence of summer storm clouds. Off in the distance, she could hear rumbling — the threat of thunder — while the skies turned dim, an unsightly omen. Her brow furrowed ever so slightly at the view, but she did not turn away. The storm, no matter how inconvenient, would bring life to the thirsty plants around them, and she could be grateful for that, at least.

She clasped her hands in front of her, bare feet shifting across the wooden floor silently as she made her way to the other side of the window. The Hierophant had planned to make a few rounds about the city today, but with the threat of oncoming rain, or even a storm, such a plan seemed futile. Looking at her people from above, she saw that many were turning in for the evening, while some made their way amongst the trees, daring to get a closer look at the clouds from atop Baile's branches.

Selwyn couldn't help but smile a little at their daredevil antics. She thought she could understand them a little — the desire to test fate, to go against it even. That want, to be amongst the trees when Nature brought down her righteous lightning, tempting destiny, daring Mother Earth to strike them down. Such a rowdy spirit reminded her of older times, centuries past, when her closest accomplice, her Bond, had acted the same way.

For a moment, she wondered if her meeting with the High Druid of the North would be interrupted by this threat of a summer storm, but by the sound of the footsteps working its way down the hall, and entering her room, Selwyn realized she had thought wrong. She smiled to herself, nutmeg eyes still searching the skies; despite the storm, despite everything, she was content.

"Brynmor Snowcloak," the Hierophant greeted, without turning away from her window. "It's been a while."

Anonymous

"Greetings Heirophant. It has been a while indeed." Brynmor stated quietly, stopping a few feet back from the window, planting his feet, hands clasped in front of him. "Not out enjoying the weather?" His gaze briefly ranged over the features of the inside of the great tree, having not seen the inside of some of these rooms in several decades, some far more recently that that, before settling itself once again on the back of the petite heirophant.

"How have things been, here at the center of everything?" His voice was slightly detached, as if he wasn't fully there, and his eyes wandered off of her, to gaze out the window as she did. The awesome strength the storm exibited pleased and distracted Brynmor, as he had not witnessed rain in a very long time.

Anonymous

It had been a while, regarding that most High Druids could not find the time to make it back to Baile for any time other than their biannual meeting. Selwyn did enjoy speaking to them though, and was glad that the horrible weather had not stopped Brynmor from upholding the scheduled meeting date.

She turned away from the window, looking up at him, giving him a tiny smile, laughing quietly. "I'm afraid I'm not suited to enjoy such weather. Although, there once was a time when I loved being out in the rain..." When she had been just a girl, but that was centuries ago.

"Things have been well here, the same as ever. I feel as if we are in a state of peace, for the time being." She moved over towards the back of the room, picking up a whistling tea kettle and drawing two wooden cups from her cupboard, meaning to pour some for the two of them. "Take a seat, Brynmor. You must be exhausted from your trip. I can't imagine the trip to Baile from Hyoite is a pleasant one for you to make."

Selwyn approached the table with the two cups of tea, delicately setting one of the cups in front of Brynmor, before setting one near her own seat. She slowly seated herself, her fingers wrapping itself around the cup. "It's mint. Normally I would brew chamomile, but I've just ran out of the herbs." She frowned a little at the thought, wrinkling her nose. "You must tell me about Hyoite. About its people, and its nature that struggles amongst its bitter cold."