Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bending Fate [M] [Goblin]

Started by Juno, March 05, 2012, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

It was wrong to leave like this, and he knew it, but he had to do it anyway. Every step he took to distance himself from this selfless woman had him feeling like he was doing both right and wrong by her for her help. In his eyes, the innocent should be kept from his master's paws as much as possible if they did not seek him out on their own. It was not in his power to protect them once Akakios took interest in others. Of course he also wasn't one to deprive his master, and he already had reason to believe that she might be in danger just as much as he if the previous week's occurrences spoke for anything.

Pausing briefly to listen to her farewell, Toren looked back over his shoulder to her for the words of thanks she spoke. That puzzled him; he'd done not one thing worthy of something else so kind and unwarranted. If anything, it was ironic to him that she should thank the man that might be the beginning of her end. Still, he nodded to her anyway for at least some acknowledgement of it all and then led the pony out the gate and down along the edge of the road to begin heading home again.

It did not take him very long to realize he truly had made a grave mistake. The pony was indeed quite tender and not very well at all. She was sweaty and tense, nervous and wound tight just ready to spring at any moment and it wasn't helping that Toren's nerves were just as fluttery and jumpy. By the time they veered off to the smaller path that led down to the estate still a couple of miles off they were both practically crawling in their own skins.

The lather the mare had worked up upon her neck and chest shone clearly in the moonlight and the smell told the man that there was also blood in the air from reopened wounds. Wincing for the animal, he pleaded with her to just get through the last stretch and then she would get a good, long rest, but the horse would not settle and only seemed more riled with every sound and movement from the woods at their right side.

After dropping her off at the stables and pleading the hand on duty to repay a favor and fabricate evidence of an accident in the barn to cover the story of the pony's wounds, Toren finally made his way to the estate with his knapsack clutched a bit too tightly in his hands. It was getting late, but he hoped he would still be considered on time with the promised letter.

The silence in the halls was telling enough for him; something was clearly amiss. Had he miscounted the days? Had something happened while he was away? Heading up to his master's quarters did not yield the vampire so he crossed to the study instead where he found Akakios lounging and honestly looking rather bored when he immediately spoke, "You did not knock."
"Ah..., may I enter? I have the letter you've been waiting for, sir," was the quiet answer as a fidgeting hand reached into the bag he carried.
"Of course, Toren," he snickered at the obvious discomfort of the younger man. "You're late, but give it here."

Quickly plucking it out and reaching to place it before his master as was one of their customs, though, Toren found his wrist roughly snatched forward. His mind was already racing, trying to figure out how late he actually was. Hissing in sharply was his biggest mistake there, though, for even a noise of surprise made it so obvious to the vampire how jittery his slave was. Slipping the folded paper from his fingers and setting it aside, though, Akakios did not let go. Instead, he gripped even tighter, pressing his fingers in to feel his pulse. "It's beating fast. Why?"
"Just excited to be home... It's been a long day," he answered, trying to shrug it off.
"Oh, really? Why don't you tell me about it, hm?" The pressure was finally released as the vampire leaned to sit back in his chair again and leave his slave standing there. Even after all the years he had been with him he still got a kick out of seeing him squirm.

"Well, it was just rough on the road trying to get back as soon as I could, sir."
"Hm. Well, has your little stroll sparked your memory at all?"
"About what, sir?"
"The letter."
"I delivered it, Master."
"Don't play stupid with me, you know better" -the words were smooth, calculated, like he'd thought on it all week in his absence- "I know that you're hiding something from me. You know I hate secrets."

Toren smiled a little before averting his gaze to stare down at the desk between them. "I do know this, sir."
"I told you to make sure you refreshed your memory, this is so unlike you... I'm disappointed."
"I assure you it is not my aim to displease you."
"How would you like to make up for it? I'm feeling generous."
"...It is not my choice."
"Good. Maybe you'll be more willing to speak when you can hardly breathe tomorrow. Will you be screaming in the yard again or biting your tongue this time? Do you ever wish I would let it run its course or do you just enjoy it that much?"
"It doesn't bother me, sir," was Toren's only answer, which he provided with that same sad, small smile again.

A slow grin stretched across Akakios's mouth. It was so rare to have any sense of rebellion or being uncooperative from him, but the vampire was quickly seeing that he was willing to tolerate whatever phase the younger man might have been going through if it meant getting to take appropriate actions against his behaviors.

GoblinFae

Meanwhile back in town, the apothecary stewed over a way to make both the spitfire botanist and arrogant servant pay for their insolence. Night came and cast dancing shadows about the room as he continued to sit in the corner and sip his wine. "Yes indeed," he laughed darkly, "I shall make her pay dearly for her little display today. Akakios will being hearing about this that much is sure. She can deal with his wrath then. If I'm lucky, he'll even let me watch. Oh ho ho just you wait little Petal. You'll have met your match with this one. There is no winning against that man. No winning at all." The man went to bed with a happy heart and dark thoughts in his mind.

When morning came again he was standing on the doorstep of Petal and Frond long before it was due to open. Rapping testily on the door, Agehneim put on his best smirk and greeted the tired woman in a silky tone. "Fair lady Petal, might I have a word?" Not waiting for an answer, he pushed past the smaller figure and leaned against a support beam before looking at her.

"You know Petal, I really have been quite kind and forgiving with you. It would not due to continue to push my buttons like this. We made a business agreement which you shook on. I cannot allow this to continue like this. You will supply me with the good I have requested countless times or I will be forced to take desperate measures."

Ladybird stared back at him, silently seething. "What kind of measures are we talking about Agehneim? You are not exactly a lily-white innocent. Many would be able to point fingers at you if you were to somehow damage my property."

"Oh how harsh Petal dear. I was not implying anything. But accidents do happen. If you were ever in need of one of my remedies I would not be able to supply it with our current standing." He sighed and shook his head remorsefully. "Isn't your sister expecting her first child? I happen to have something that'll help with the birthing pains and increase the chances of livebirth. You do want your sister's happiness and good health do you not?"

The independent woman continued to glare as her familiar hissed from his perch around her neck. "Oh yes," Agehneim simpered. "That reminds me, I am just on my way to see my greatest patron. It would do me a lot of good if I had the necessary ingredients to present him with. If you would be so kind as-"

"I'm sure you can find those on the side of the road on your way Agehneim. Now if that is all you will be needing you may leave. Good day," she hissed moving to dismiss him. Just as she passed though the apothecary latched onto her forearm and yanked her close to his chest, effectively pinning her in place.

"Now, now Petal dearest not too fast. Wouldn't want me to get angry now would you?" He shook her harshly before lowering his face to hers. "Come now little lady, be a good girl and give me what I want and I'll make sure that boy you helped doesn't get hurt. His master is a fickle man. You don't want him hurt because of you? That would be terrible for business. Ladybird Hornwort, acclaimed helper of all in need, directly responsible for the severest of all punishments and near-death of an innocent who received her help. Oh how your true colors now show through. You'll be the talk of the town that much is sure," he whispered in her ear, nuzzling his face into her hair and neck. "Mm, you smell nice."

Angrily, she pushed him away, tearing the sleeves of her dress in the process. Tears sprung to her eyes in both disgust and anxiety. "Don't touch me you pig!" Agehneim growled and lunged after her, grabbing her by the hair as she clawed at him. He slapped her across the face, stunning her into compliance. "You listen to me and you listen good wench. If you don't get me what I need, exactly as I ask for it your head is going to roll. This patron of mine doesn't take kindly to being delayed. He won't think twice about harming you just because you are a pretty little thing."

With a firm grip still on her hair, Agehneim shook Ladybird about and then shoved her away. "Now bring me what I have been begging of you. The days of my patience have run out. You will do as you're told! Don't forget your sister now. Wouldn't want her brought to tears now."

Ashamed and hurting, Ladybird shuffled to the backroom and retrieved everything that she had been withholding from the apothecary. As much as she knew that he would do horrible things with what she was providing him with and that she could hang as much as he for it, she felt so helpless when it came to his threats towards her family. They were all she had and she would gladly die for them if it ever came to it. This small sacrifice on her part was nothing in comparison to the agony her sister would endure if she lost the baby.

Ladybird tried to hold her head high as she returned with the supplies. Her cheek stung horribly and was already beginning to bruise. 'I'm going to need to put arnica on that once he's gone. Wouldn't do for the customers to see that. I fell that's all. Just a tumble in the backroom, nothing to worry about.'

Though subdued in manner, the botanist did not withhold the defiant look of rage that flashed in her eyes. Shaking hands placed the jars on the table in front of the smirking man. "Your request, sir" she spat. "Now if that is all I have work to do."

Agehneim mockingly bowed low, tipping his hat at her before sweeping up his jars of Sentripe leaves and heading out the door. "Don't forget next time Petal. I expect your promptness in the future." Laughing, he left, slamming the door on his way out as he headed to his carriage awaiting him. The man entered and banged his fist on the ceiling. "Reolaras Estate." With a sigh he relaxed back onto the cushions. A smirk danced across his lips as he thought about the second part of his plan. 'Now to make him burn for it all.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

The pain was red. It pulsed. Everything hurt and it was only getting worse. He was slowly losing what control he so tightly clung to each and every day of his existence. It's not fair, but I deserve it, was all he kept thinking. Over and over, even though everything just continued to worsen with each passing minute. Everything ached, his chest felt tight, a sheen of sweat was already clearly present upon his skin, and if he moved the wrong way the wounds reopened quite easily. He couldn't focus, he was pale, and his chores were done blindly with the occasional pair of eyes watching to both pity him and rejoice in seeing proof that the vampire had been satiated for now.

The marks were on his left shoulder this time. They were hidden well enough except for the blood that would seep through, but that really was the least of his concerns right now. He'd already been subjected to several tearing bites almost immediately upon arrival and had not been able to sleep as things had progressed. What was worse, he knew the worst of it was not even close to coming to pass.

As usual, he kept his distance from his master as per orders and that was the second saving grace of this whole situation for him; he had managed to keep quiet about the woman who worked at the flower shop. Defiance was something he definitely wasn't known for, but Toren was glad that his refusal to speak had at least served to spare the kind woman. If she had been given up for the helpfulness that had ultimately saved his master's possessions he was not sure he could have been able to live with the guilt or to ever look her in the eye if he saw her again.

It was barely mid-morning yet, though, and there was already a healthy undertone of whispering throughout the home that even he could hear from the hallway. "A visitor" was all he kept hearing them say. Well, good. That'll keep him out of my hair for a day, probably... I didn't know he was expecting anyone, he thought, figuring something had been arranged in his absence and, unfortunately, not thinking the fact that someone had arrived at the estate to be anything odd or note-worthy.

What was odd, though, was the distinctive footsteps he heard coming down the stairs and then going at a good clip through the halls. It helped that the others quieted as he passed, but Toren would have known those boots and footfalls anywhere. But, it was highly unusual for Akakios to come down to greet someone himself, especially in the day. All he figured was that whoever it was was important. At least he was correct in that.

Akakios didn't even wait for the front door to be opened now, though, swinging it wide with the only thing keeping it from slamming into the wall being the quick hand of the slave who'd been trying to get it for him in the first place. He could overlook being woken for something actually important, to him at least, but the vampire wasn't taking kindly to being informed that the visitor was the apothecary he'd been expecting for days. That he was showing his face now was something he wanted to confront himself, and right now he was looking rather unimpressed as he stepped forward to lean an arm on the doorway to block the entry. "Agehneim," he chuckled dryly, glancing out to the carriage pulled up beside his home, "Has some ill befallen you? It feels like it's been ages."

GoblinFae

"Ah good morning sir! Forgive me for bothering you at such a late hour. I just simply could not delay any longer." Agehneim bowed low in greeting before awkwardly squeezing his way past Akakios and into the hall.

"As promised the sample of your current request. Should it meet your approval I can now provide it in much larger quantities. I thank you for your concern but I am afraid I have had some trouble with me supplier. But, never fear she has been made to see reason now." He bowed again, offering a false smile of humbleness. Rising he seemed to remember something and shuffled to reach into his pocket. "Ah yes! I nearly forgot."

Agehneim pulled out small jar of salve no bigger than the palm of his hand. "I happened to have run into your errand boy at my supplier's home. Is your mare doing better now? She had quite a nasty wound when I saw her last, the poor dear." He shook his head remorsefully. "If it is not too bold of me to say, you really should find better help Akakios. That boy seemed only interested in flirting with the little chit Petal and cared nothing for his master's things. Why if I hadn't shown up there's no telling what they would have done next."

Mentally the man snorted. 'That'll teach them both to shame me. No one gets away with dirtying my name! Oh sweet Petal just you wait. You're going to meet your match for thorns. Take care for he'll prick you for sure! And you brat, you'll be the one to blame for it all. Oh how she'll blame you in the end when you cannot help her after all she did for you. Mmm I do love such happy endings!'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

Turning his head to watch the other man manage to slip by him, Akakios didn't bother to budge to let him by any easier. He wasn't saying anything about it either, though, least not now. Perhaps a nice parting gift would be in order later. For now, though, he was scoffing at the idea of only being brought a sample when he'd already been made to wait for so long. Agehneim was lucky it would be too much of an inconvenience to find someone else good enough and willing to sell him what he wanted at the moment.

Finally turning around to face the apothecary as the little jar was held out, though, the vampire definitely perked up at the mentioning of Toren and gritted his teeth against the rushed, rattling closure of the door right behind him for it. He had no idea what he was talking about with the horse, though. As the other man continued on, Akakios shifted his gaze to stare intently at the woman who'd woken him until she slipped away to find and fetch the younger man. While it certainly wasn't typical on a day like this, he needed to speak to him. Now.

The more he heard, the more the fire in his belly grew. The mere thought of being betrayed like that and being lied to about so much by his favorite slave and favorite food had him ready to confront the boy himself rather than just go straight to his punishment. He deserved to squirm if all of this was true, it was too much for him to just get off the hook on this. At least this was something worth getting up for.

"Petal... Huh. You're quite sure it was him? And the horse... I suppose I never did see her come in, but this is all so odd." Running a hand through his hair, Akakios glanced to the hall the other slave had run off to, but she was yet to return. With whatever time he had left he was determined to get all the information he could out of Agehneim. Lowering the hand holding the jar he continued with, "Did it look like they knew each other well? Have you ever seen him there before?"

GoblinFae

Agehneim donned a serious face despite the glee he felt inside. "Quite positive. We even traded for a moment or two. He was really quite hostile especially in his use of your name. I'm telling you Akakios you better beat some sense into that boy or get rid of him. He's going to cause all sorts of trouble."

The apothecary shook his head and averted his eyes to the floor. "I'm sorry to be the messenger of such poor news my friend. But, I thought it best you know." He sighed and watched the other man from the corner of his eye.

"Know each other? Well I wasn't there very long to determine that myself but your boy certainly got very territorial about her once I showed up. He went so far as to threaten me and try and pick a fight. I of course did not lower myself to squabble with such filth but yes, I do think his behavior indicated knowing the wench. Petal Hornwort's her name by the way, she's a flower shopkeeper. Gave me a mighty trouble bit of trouble over the Sentripe leaves. She promised me delivery and then refused to relinquish them after payment." Agehneim waved his hand flippantly. "Honestly Akakios I don't understand people these days. The two of them are completely irresponsible and ridiculous. It cannot be allowed to continue!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Akakios had never known Agehneim to be entirely truthful, but the man was good at his trade and had had so few missteps that by this point it would be more of a pain to replace him than to just continue dealing. The news he bore, however, had certainly piqued his interest and sparked a small flame in his eyes; the mere thought that the words carried even a sliver of truth was practically unforgivable. Even worse, he entrusted so much to the one boy and Agehneim, while self-serving, didn't have much reason that he could see to lie about it. Much.

"How troublesome," was all he said as his gaze was still fixed on the hall as the sound of a door being shut echoed through. "And you said he used my name against you? And, at the least, spending time where he has no business for me.., this Petal must be quite special for him to stray..." A smile finally began to curl his lips at the sight of Toren finally appearing with the other servant girl keeping ahold of him still.

"Ah good, you remembered, dear. I'd hate for him to cause more trouble than he already has," Akakios thanked passively as she led the wide-eyed man closer to their master.

"Did you leave my precious pony a mess? Is it true that you wasted my time with nonsense flirting, Toren? I never thought I'd see you become so disrespectful, and after all I've provided you with, too." The vampire was genuinely disappointed in all of this, especially with knowing  that Toren had cost him so much already.

"Flirting?" Toren croaked between gritted teeth. "Sir, the horse was an honest accident! I was going to tell you about that soon, I just didn't want to waste your night or spoil... spoil your meal, sir," he insisted.

"You're avoiding it again. You've been doing this for days, Toren. My patience is running thin with you, boy. Tell me who you met. Tell me who Agehneim saw you with," Akakios stepped forward to demand as he began to recall other odd details about the other times he'd seen the younger man. "And the torn letter... You showed her. You showed her, didn't you?!" he barked, snatching him up by the collar and ignoring the danger of them being close right now.

Wild eyes searched behind Akakios for the apothecary and were genuinely startled when they rested upon the slimy man. Furrowing his brow, Toren practically growled at the accusations being placed upon him now for, he assumed, simply talking with an acquaintance. "I never showed her the letter. I swear to you I would never do such a thing, never break the trust you've place in me, sir," he pleaded.

"He saw me with...with the flower shopkeeper. I guess she deals in remedies, but she saw me with the mare... Sir, I swear, she was only helping me! She was badly hurt...the mare... She got bitten by some wolves on our trip and she was having so much trouble walking, sir. I swear I didn't stay any longer than I needed to, you must believe me, sir, you know I'm not the one who would wrong you!" he growled through the pain all while glaring at Agehneim.

"You're getting too defensive, boy. I truly am so disappointed in you. To think you feel the need to lie to me. That's just terrible..." An idea began to form then as he could see he wasn't going to get much out of Toren in his current state. "But if you really are sweet on her, I think she deserves to see you plead your case, hm? Defend her honor...and all that. Watch you pay for your lies, see you bleed for deceiving me and making me hear all of this from someone else." Glancing to Agehneim, he nodded in both acknowledgement and to continue on with putting his plan into motion.

"Toren... Return to town with our kind friend and bring me the girl. Will there be a problem with this, dear Agehneim? Can you handle this little favor of an errand for me? Make sure he doesn't run away with his sweetheart?" Akakios laughed.

GoblinFae

Agehneim snorted gleefully as he nodded his head in acknowledgement to Akakios. "Of course it's not as if she has much honor to defend. The woman is known for her remedies. Consider it no problem at all sir. As you well know I am all for seeing justice served. What the both of them have done is inexcusable. I would trust no one else but you to handle this severe matter appropriately."

Latching onto Toren's arm, he yanked the servant close and made his goodbyes and exit. The false smile on his quickly face melted away as soon as he was out of the master's sight. "You're going to get it good boy. Told you to stay out of it," he growled out, dragging Toren to the carriage and roughly throwing him inside and onto one of the benches.

The apothecary joined him soon after, plopping himself down on the opposite bench and placing his large feet up right next Toren. Agehneim continued to move his legs closer and closer to Toren until the other man had no choice but to squeeze into a corner of the already cramped carriage. "Comfortable?" he taunted before signaling the driver to go. "I have to say I can't wait to hear your explanations to her. Petal has a lot of fire in her. I have to say our encounter this morning was quite pleasing. I guess I owe you thanks for that."

__
Ladybird meanwhile was getting ready to close up shop early for the day. Despite the multiple topical applications of the healing paste, a nasty purple bruise still shone on her pale cheek. Other fingerprint bruises had also sprouted on her arms from the man's cruel grip.

She wanted nothing more than to soak in the tub and then go to bed. But, the sounds of a carriage pulling up and the sound of a familiar voice, quickly squelched the idea. The young woman cringed inwardly as she heard the front door slam open and one of her cats screech angrily as its tail was stepped on. Pulling herself together, she marched into the frontroom only to freeze slightly in her tracks.

While she had know Agehneim would return, she had not expected to see the man he was literally dragging along with him. "I'm sorry but we are closed for the day. Come back in the morning."

"Now now Petal dear. Surely that is not the way you treat a favored customer. Surely not after our discussion this morning and your agreement to being prompt? Doesn't matter anyway though," he added flippantly, shoving Toren in front of him. "The boy has something to say to you." Ladybird glared at the apothecary as he crossed his arms and smirked lasciviously at her before drawing her gaze over to the other man expectantly.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

If Toren hadn't already been bug-eyed enough before, he certainly was now. The angry, hurried way his master had shoved him off on someone else took him aback, but he was silently joyous for the distance it would put between them for a while. If only he could say the company he was exchanged for was more amicable.

The pain he felt was already exhausting enough, but being pushed around and forced into the corner only added to it. If discomfort was his goal, Agehneim was certainly outdoing himself. Crossing his arms defiantly and refusing to look at the other man, Toren still tried to hide all of this. He didn't want to speak to him at all, but he wanted answers. He craved them. He knew he probably would feel entirely restless until he got them.

For about an hour he remained entirely silent, but Toren eventually turned to glare at Agehneim. For now, he could not bring himself to lower himself that much, especially when he already felt so horrible, so instead of mouthing off like he'd been gearing up to do he tried to focus on figuring out what he could do to help his new acquaintance. He knew it would not be in her best interest to see Akakios even though he had called for her.

The glaring gradually turned into sadness and staring at the floor at the thought of seeing hurt in those kind eyes. Toren did not want to see that look when whatever trust might have been there was broken. He did not want to have to see an innocent woman fight for her life with his master, and he especially did not want to see Petal die for his own mistakes. He had already witnessed the fire of life broken so many times in his existence, but this particular girl had never come to his master for selfish reasons, nor asked for his help. Entirely innocent, was all he could think.

He heard more than saw the change of footing once they'd reached town, but once the carriage jumped to a halt Toren braced himself to be dragged back outside, which it seemed Agehneim was all too eager to do. Gentleness was something he was sure the apothecary was unaccustomed to as his arm screamed for mercy from the vice grip he was being held under. "Let go!" he grumbled once they'd entered the shop while struggling rather weakly to free himself.

The sound of her voice made him freeze in his tracks, though, and, again, not look up from the floor. The small sliver of hope that she would not be at home was squashed. Their short conversation was a blur to him in his current state, but the unknowing look in her eyes did him in as he stumbled forward.

Gulping loudly against the tightness in his throat, Toren finally lifted his head and stared wide-eyed at her for more than a comfortable moment as he pondered refusing his master's orders. Dropping his gaze again and rubbing at his aching arm, he finally spoke softly, "My master wishes to see you. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but won't you come with us?" He did not want to tell her his own fate depended upon her cooperation, but that would be telling the whole truth, a thing he was not accustomed to giving to many.
[hr:2bc9hbt3][/hr:2bc9hbt3]
Releasing Toren to Agehneim was not difficult, but maintaining his composure until they were gone was. The words of their encounter circled 'round in his head incessantly, like flies to rotten flesh. He could not rid himself of it, even as he busied himself with an early start to his day. He was not entirely himself in this.

The thoughts of betrayal had him wild-eyed and tense. As soon as the door was shut, Akakios went up to his main study to write. He wrote letters and reminders to himself, but nothing could get it off of his mind. Cleaning up for their eventual arrival did not help either: crisp clothes, shined boots, brushed hair. Every glance in a mirror grew his anger, every encounter with the other servants fueled his bubbling temper. Every small thing he noticed wrong about someone or something added to it; smoldering coals were quickly igniting to roaring fires the longer he waited.

"Who is this, this girl?!" he spat at his reflection. "Years of grooming. Years of training, discipline ruined by some... some harlot!" Akakios snatched his coat over his shoulders, for once fumbling to fasten ties and buttons.

Despite the collective joy that the vampire's attention was on others at the moment, the house was still too quiet for his liking. He knew they were waiting for him to explode and probably preparing to flee at the first sign of trouble, but even knowing that irritated him to no end. Nothing got him to settle. He paced the foyer, the halls, and just about every room of the house while he waited, but still nothing quelled his frustrations and need to know.

Finally, he climbed the eastern tower to sit. He lowered himself to staring out the window, just waiting. He was impatient, but could not bring himself to retrieve this mystery woman himself. He would wait, watch, listen. He would know when they arrived. Smell Toren's fear, feel him drown himself in worry, panic, and chaos, taste the bitterness of Agehneim's revenge, and...whatever this woman would give. Most were just as fearful as Toren could be, some came in brave only to crumble, some were lost souls, but it was never entirely the same. It was a game, his own brand of entertainment, and he couldn't wait for the show.

GoblinFae

For a moment Ladybird just stared into Toren's eyes. Then, slowly she nodded her head and allowed a small smile to curl the corners of her lips. "Of course. I am sorry though that it is against what you had hoped for friend, but I believe that this misunderstanding can be easily cleared up. I am not the one at fault after all," she added quietly while shooting a dirty look in the apothecary's direction.

The woman let the hostility go though, instead placing a gentle hand on the younger man's upper arm in a friendly gesture before moving towards the door. She was not quick enough to doge Agehneim's grasp and was soon pulled flush up against him. From his place around her neck, Fern hissed warningly, baring his fangs as if to bite.

He only laughed though, tapping the snake on the head as he rubbed his face in her hair. "If you keep vermin such as him draped around your precious throat, I see no reason why something far better cannot venture there as well," he stated before yanking the snake away and pressing his lips to the now free bit of pale flesh.

Ladybird only struggled then as she was led outside for Fern. Everything else would just have to wait. The apothecary laughed, keeping the reptile just out of reach until they were all in the carriage once more. Again, he resumed his previous position with the addition of the young woman firmly ensconced within his embrace. Only then did he reluctantly hand over the creature and allow her to hide him away beneath her sleeve.

"You can let me go you know. There is plenty of room for me to sit down."
"That there is," Agehneim leered back as he clamped Ladybird's struggling form tightly into his lap. She did not stop until she realized he was getting a great deal of pleasure out of it all. Disgusted, the botanist froze in place before turning to look out the window. It physically sickened her to be desired by this vile man.

Each touch of his lips on her neck, his hands around her waist, his lecherous comments in her ear were close to driving her over the edge. She did not know whether to hit him, scream, hurl, jump out of the carriage, or a combination of many if not all of them. Ladybird had almost come to a decision when the carriage came to a blessed stop.

Agehneim curtly motioned with his to Toren as he lowered his legs from the seat and practically shoved him out of the carriage. Ladybird was quick on his heels as she tried to flee from the old man's clutches. Her skirt caught on the step, tangling with her legs and sending her headed face-first for the ground.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

It would have been so easy to let her fight it and win. Toren could not yet fathom why she would agree, but he had to remind himself, too, that not many knew his master's ways as intimately as he. All he could hope was that she would find some way out of the pit she was walking into now. "Let us hope," was all he could bring himself to say as he walked numbly beside her. It was far too short-lived, however, when he felt himself being forced forward and Petal being snatched away. Even before he had a chance to let her huge favor of a kindness wash over himself he'd been herded back inside to the cramped corner he'd already spent so much time in today.

Even as Petal struggled once inside, though, he could not bring himself to look at her. His head was hung in classical shame as he gritted his teeth against the pain pulsing through his body. Everything he felt now was reduced to a sheen of sweat: His fears, pain, sickness, heartache. He was sure he would end up being physically ill by it all at some point, the wrongness of her situation already making him lock up.

It was no longer "How can I save her?" but "Can I save her?" that raced through his mind. Her fate seemed sure enough, a dark routine within the estate that seemed inescapable once the wheel had been set into motion. The horrible things going on across from him he could not bear to see and tried desperately not to hear. Once the carriage came to a stop, a whole new panic lurched through him. There was no hiding her now, but he hoped she might still be able to sneak her way by with her tongue.

Being pushed on his way out, he thought more than once to run to the front door, as he stumbled to get his footing, to hide away and never see what might happen to the woman he assumed would meet just as a misfortunate fate as others before her. It was the way. He knew, yet he was scared for them both.

Before he had time to move more than a step away from the carriage, however, he saw the door being opened by another and his master going at quite a clip towards it from what he could see swooping through the windows. Cringing, he looked over his shoulder just in time to see her not where he thought he might find her and looking like a bird that had failed to take off. Suddenly wide-eyed at the thought that she was falling, and fast, Toren immediately jumped forward to catch her by her shoulders. Only, he over-estimated her height and ended up being dragged down some himself before he managed to pull them both back up to their feet.

"Are you alright?" he whispered, eyes darting every which way trying to find the blood he prayed would not be there. "Are you hurt? I'm so, so sorry, Petal." Glaring up at Agehneim was all he could do, though he wanted to yell. He wanted to kick and fight and make him pay for his cruelness to her through an ordeal she did not deserve.

"Sorry?" came the growl at his back. Flinching, Toren dropped his hands from her immediately and turned to face Akakios, who now stood on the steps. "Still trying to be her shield? Aren't you a little weak for any more of that?" he mocked him, smiling while slowly shaking his head.

His gaze flickering to the woman behind his servant and then Agehneim after, with a wicked look of satisfaction for his benefit. Only then after did Akakios finally settle his eyes upon her. "I mean no disrespect, darling, but I could break him like a twig. That isn't saying much for you," he continued with a slight raise of his brow. "Fortunately for you, your time with him is up.  But it's good to see you have passion even in your goodbyes."

"That wasn't any--"

"I did not ask you to speak for her, Toren." His face flashed to a stone-cold stare in a heartbeat as he looked between them. "Get inside, I will speak to you after she is questioned."

Looking to Petal with an apologetic sadness in his eyes, Toren obeyed and shuffled along before he got them into further trouble.

"Good listener, isn't he?" Akakios commented with a chuckle as he watched him go and took a few steps down to stand closer to her. After a moment of looking her over again, the vampire held out his hand in a gesture for her own. "We have some business to discuss. I'm afraid it isn't optional, so why don't you come with me? We'll go sit somewhere quiet..., away from all of these silly people. I'm not sure what you might have been told, but I just have a few things I need to confirm with you and then you'll be on your way home. Sound all right?"

GoblinFae

"I'm fine, thank you," she replied softly, blushing and gripping his arms to steady herself. Ladybird had been about to continue when a new voice interrupted her. Instantly, she let go of Toren and stood up straighter to coolly eye this new presence.

His clothing was impeccable with perfect crease lines and not a single spot or speck of dust. From his manner to his clothes suggested that this was the man of the house. Right there her older sister Blossom would have been impressed and won over. An organized man who was conscious of his appearance went far in life as it meant that he was just as careful with his money, something the Hornwort family had always been careful with.

Then there was his attitude. His biting comments, his verbal boasts of strength, it was all the way that he carried himself that would have endeared him to the youngest Hornwort daughter, Berry. The baby of the family tended to like her men with a wild streak in them. She enjoyed the thrill of the dangerous and unconventional which had on more than one occasion gotten her into a great deal of trouble.

Ladybird however, noticed neither of these things. Instead she had become fixated on word, darling. This made her mad. She was not his darling. She was not some simple-minded little chit from the lower ends of town. She was a merchant with a shop in the town's square and was living quite comfortably. The botanist hated being treated as inferior and judged by people who only had assumptions to make their decisions based off of.

While she had stood there silently appraising the much taller man, Agehneim had chuckled at the master's words. His eyes though were focused on something else. Instead of meeting the newcomer's they instead rested on a place on the back of Ladybird's shoulder and neck. The sight of a rather large and reddish-purple oval resting there brought the largest smirk to his old and pock-marked face. For one moment he looked up to catch the other man's eye before once more dropping it back down to the mark he himself had left on her.

"It was very good to see you sir. I will just hurry home now to finish working on that batch for you. I'm sorry I can not stay any longer to further lend my assistance however, has you know these things are quite time-sensitive. I would not dare to waste anymore of your time. A good evening to you sir. May your endeavors be fruitful," he sneered at the end, incapable at hiding his perverse glee. "Petal."

"Agehneim." Smirking still, the pompous apothecary scrambled back into the carriage and took off, peeking out from behind the curtains to see just how Ladybird's fire would get her into trouble.

Unaware of just how much danger she really was in, Ladybird stared up at the man with a face of stone. Her lips curled slightly into what was a small smile but there was no warmth in either it or her gaze. "Do no call me darling for I do not belong to you," she finally stated calmly, even as her small hand reached out to land within his own. There was no reason to be so stubborn and contrary. As far as she knew this was still just a misunderstanding and nothing that warranted poor behavior on her part. "If what you say is true then it is best if we get started. The longer things are put off the worse they often get."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Even in his slight haze he was able to spot the twinkle in the apothecary's eye. It drew his gaze from studying the woman before him, but the way the way he looked at her back told him something was amiss. Immediately, his thoughts turned to her hiding something on her person, but then he couldn't think of what might be so unimportant that Agehneim would not make some small scene to retrieve it. Probably the worst thing she could have had was a knife, but even that would not have been enough to do the damage it would have been meant for. For now, he would wait and see: there was nothing indicating now he should be mindful of her.

"You as well, faithful friend. Thank you for your service, as always," Akakios bid him, watching closely until he was stowed away. Turning his eyes back on Petal, he was more than a little surprised to see her hardened, emotionless appearance. "Indeed, madame, I meant no offense," he chuckled, bowing his head to her as she had given him what he'd wanted anyway. Her further remarks, however, struck him for their uncanny accuracy within his house.

With a smirking curl to his lips the vampire raised her hand slightly with his own in both approval and agreement before turning to step off and lead her inside. Despite the image he had of her already, she was certainly proving to have common sense quite quickly. "I have never heard truer words so candidly from an acquaintance. I am purely honest when I say that, in this house, living by those words would be in your best interest.

"But I trust your trip was pleasant? What have they told you?"

GoblinFae

"I would not say that the trip was a pleasant one," she began, but continued in order to continue with the civil conversation they seemed to be having. "However, aside for the poor choice of company present the scenery was at least enjoyable. You have quite a few rare and beautiful plants that grow on your property. It gladdened me to see such sights.

"However, that is not really is not what you are after. Formalities aside, I have only been told that you wished to see me in order to discuss something personally. I have not been told why although I suspect it may have something to do with the supplies Agehneim claims I promised him. Is this indeed the correct matter, or have I been misled?"

Ladybird was not trying to keep matters cool and diplomatic. The sooner she could leave the better. Agehneim's leaving with her sole form of transport unnerved her some, although if she had a choice she would prefer to never share a ride with him ever again than to do so. His lecherous behavior sickened her even now to recall and she had to clench the hand not holding the stranger's to keep her roiling stomach in check. Fern soothingly slithered around the wrist, reminding her of his presence and that she needed to relax. 'Thank you Fern.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He hadn't expected it, but Akakios was slightly disappointed that she didn't offer up any information immediately, or at least the kind he was looking for. "I only know what he has told me of the matter, but affairs between he and yourself are not really my business. It causes delays all around, but in the end I make the transaction with him. I'm afraid that's all I really have to say about that at the moment, but why don't you tell me a little about your relationship with Toren?" he prompted while shutting the door behind them. Immediately he turned again, though, to lead her upstairs to his study.

"How long has this been going on?" he asked while staring straight ahead despite the fact that he could have made it up and gotten them seated without opening an eye. He wasn't planning on telling her outright if she had been misled or not, though, for he had only sent them off with instructions to return with her.

Once he had reached the door he stopped abruptly to open it for her and gesture for her to enter ahead of himself. "Please, have a seat, would you?"

GoblinFae

Ladybird's face scrunched up in confusion. "My relationship with Toren?" she repeated. "I would not call it a relationship as we have only had a handful of encounters thus far and all of them quite brief. What more is there to know?"

She looked up at him cautiously as she slowly settled on the edge of her seat. "I'm sorry but I don't understand why I am here then. If this is not about Agehneim and his dealings with the both of us, then what is this about? Surely you did not have me come here simply for my company, I am not that interesting an individual."

Her tones were kept even and business-like despite his odd questions. Hoping to change topics or steer things into her favor so that she could start garnering some information, Ladybird decided to play the ignorant card. "I am afraid sir that you have me at a bit of a disadvantage. You know who I am and yet I do not even know your name. Perhaps we could start again? I am called Petal, and you are?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Even though she was owning to the fact she had met with Toren, he was not happy that she was not cooperating to the extent he had been hoping for. He thought she was just dancing around it and trying to distract him on purpose and he wasn't liking that one bit. With a set frown, he decided to oblige her before setting into her again. Bowing his head to her slightly as he took his own seat across from her, he began again, wondering, "You are called Petal or is that just your name?" Raising a brow at her, a small smirk formed at the idea she did not know who he was already. It was laughable, to him, and only further assured him that she was some sort of spy.

"Akakios Reolaras. I apologize for being so rude, I'm not accustomed to needing introductions," he explained, having at least that being truthful. "I have questions about Agehneim and our own arrangements with him, but I'm mostly interested in what you have talked with Toren about. And done with him. I'm curious about how you know each other and what your intentions are with each other as well, Petal. Would you be willing to share that information with me?"

I'm afraid there might have been some misunderstandings and I just want to clear things up between us across the table. Misunderstandings never really end well, in my experience. And, unfortunately, most of the time the vast majority of my suspicions are true. I would hate for that to be the case with you, honestly."

GoblinFae

"A pleasure to meet you then Akakios Reolaras. I had heard of you but am not one to make assumptions. Such a terrible thing isn't it to be misunderstood all because of someone's misconceptions? I can completely understand your desire to clear up these misunderstandings as in truth I do not see how our businesses affect each other if this is not about Agehneim. Toren and I are not really something to talk about. I have only had two, no three if you include our lovely carriage ride here with that simply darling apothecary, encounters with him and they are nothing worth talking about really" she spoke evenly but with venom in her voice that clearly stated the ride was far from lovely and Agehneim would only be darling in death.

"As for intentions would it not be better to ask him yourself? Personally I have none other than possible friendship. I mean we are nothing now but," Ladybird paused as she thought of the appropriate word, "acquaintances. I am afraid sir that I still don't understand where this is going. I have no relationship with Toren. What does he have to do with anything? Perhaps you could tell what this misunderstanding is about and I can better correct for you. I cannot give you what you want without first knowing what that want is."

Ladybird truly did not understand what this was all about and was beginning to become a bit irritated. She was livid at being dragged from her home and subjected to the apothecary's treatment, all for what was appearing to be nothing. The whims of the noble class were infuriating. If this Akakios Reolaras really had just whisked her away for nothing she was going to raise high holy hell. There was only so much abuse and torment a girl could take in one day.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He saw this conversation going in a circle, never really reaching an end. The end he wanted was answers and despite her agreement, she was not providing what he sought out in the slightest. "Acquaintances. With the possibility of friendship, you say." The information was quite upsetting to him, already having it firmly set in his mind that there was something going on, particularly that she was spying for someone and was corrupting his most trusted servant. "Would you say you consider yourself a team in any way? Partners in some manner?

"And may I ask what you know of me, Petal?" he prodded, hoping to hear something telling besides the general rumors and tales. "What is it that you have heard?"

GoblinFae

She was beginning to lose her patience. Ladybird knew they were dancing around a topic but she did not what it was. All she wanted was for the day to end already and her to crawl into her warm bed at home, far away from this elitist and his mind games.

"A team? What are you trying to get at Mister Reolaras? No we are not a team we are just two people that met due to circumstance and keep meeting. Our encounters are due to happenstance not premeditation. As for your character, I could fill books with the amounts of what I supposed were lies and rumors about you, but I am beginning to see that some of them quite true. Already I can write an entirely new chapter all about how manipulative you try to be in person. For once it seems town gossip might actually be true."

Her nostrils flared in anger. She was hurt and humiliated which only served to fuel her fiery temper. It did not take much to send her over the edge after she had had a run-in with Agehneim and she had been unfortunate enough to see him twice in one day. It had only been a matter of time before she snapped.

"Now," she started again in a calmer voice, "are we going to be adults where you explain frankly what this is all about, or are you going to continue your childish act of beating around the bush? Because I've had enough for one day. If you are not going to be open with me then this conversation is over."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]