Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Pearly Shells Shining in the Sun... [M]

Started by Winters-Feather, March 10, 2012, 12:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winters-Feather

OOC: Covering the shoooooore -cough- songs's stuck in my head ><

IC:

Narron made his way to Ewelani's hut. He hoped she was there, but if not, he could always ask around. The man looked down at the small basket in his arms. It was full of beads he had traded with men from the main land along with shells. Things that he knew she  liked. Among these offerings was a curious, round glass that could make small things appear larger, and large things looks distorted. A sailor had traded it for some fish the day before, but Narron had no use for it, so he decided he might as well see if the young woman did.

He hadn't had much time to visit her, lately, which was a shame. He liked watching others work, and Ewe was skilled with her fingers in a way he was not. Plus, he was hoping to trade some of the goods in his arms for some new jewelry.  His was always being passed around, borrowed, or traded; the man had little use for such things outside of his poi dancing. There were only a few pieces he kept over the years. One of which was the necklace he wore around his neck, a gift that had been passed down to him from his mother.

The man brushed his bangs out of his face as he stood outside her hut.
"Ewelani, are you home?"

stelmarisa

((I don't think I know it! *feels sheltered* xP))

Ewelani was sitting in the cool dimness of her hut, cross-legged on a grass mat. She had been out in the forests all morning, and a large basket of flowers sat beside her, giving off a gentle aroma into the air. She hummed quietly to herself as she worked at weaving blossoms into a new mat - a purely frivolous item, as the flowers would surely die in a few days - but one that amused her enough for now.

Until the call came from outside her hut, that was. Her face brightened as she looked up towards the door. She set her flowers aside and straightened up as she replied.
"Narron, is that you? Come in!"

Winters-Feather

The man smiled at the sound of her voice and quietly entered the young woman's hut. He pulled his wings close into his body so as not to knock over anything.
"I brought gifts and was hoping we could trade," he explained as he walked over towards the youth and gently pressed his face against hers.
As he settled himself down next to her to show her what he had brought, his dark brown eyes curiously examined the mat.

The hut smelled like the sweet meadow, which was a nice contrast to the usual smell of the salt of the ocean.
"It's pretty," he complimented as he carefully set his basket in front of him.
The man pulled out the round shaped glass and held it out for Ewelani to test out.
"Look what a sailor from the main land gave me."

stelmarisa

Ewe grinned cheerfully as Narron entered, raising herself up as they greeted each other. "Gifts? What have you brought?!" she couldn't keep the curiosity out of her voice as she answered, peering at his basket impatiently. "Thank you..." she was absent minded as she accepted the compliment, eyeing the strange object that Narron was now holding.

"Ooh!" She took it from him eagerly and turned it over in her hands, tracing the edge of the glass carefully. "What is it? What does it- oh!" She had noticed how the basket behind the glass suddenly loomed large, at odds with it's actual size. She jumped and laughed, examining the item more closely.

"What is this thing? How does it work?" She held it up in front of her face, laughing as it distorted the image of Narron. "Your face looks huge from here!"

Winters-Feather

The man smiled at his friend's curiosity. He was always amused by her immense energy; she never seemed to run out of steam. Laughing, he shyly brushed the glass away so that Ewelani couldn't make fun of his face any more.
"He called it a... ah..." Narron paused to think of the name in Common.
"Something 'glass'.... 'My-gee-fly'...."Mag..Mag...neh?"
The man let out a flustered sigh as he scratched the back of his head. It was at the tip of his tongue, he knew it! If only there was someone to remind him.

"I forgot," he admitted, "I'll have to ask another one, some other time. Though I do know that it makes really small things look big; that's what they use it for, on the mainland. People who use their hands  to make things, like you do, use it there. Or those that study how life works. I don't think we have a word for it."
Narron paused, wondering what it should be called. Their  culture was largely ignorant of most things from the rest of the world.
"Maybe you ought to name it, Ewe," he suggested.

stelmarisa

"A my-gee-fly glass? Mah-gee-fly?" Ewe tested out the strange syllables, gazing at the implement in amazement. "I wonder what that means. I've never heard of a word like that before." She twisted the glass over absent-mindedly, and gasped as she saw through it again.

"Look! Now it is making things small ... and far away!" She laughed in delight, turning the glass over and over to see the different effects. "It's like it's magic!"

She stopped for long enough to pay attention to what he was saying. "That sounds useful! It would make all the little beads look bigger so you could thread them more easily. How clever of them!"

"Maybe I could name it after you, because you discovered it. A Narron-glass!" she suggested, giggling. "Or perhaps you should name it after me, so that you will think of me when you use it." She smiled up at him, offering the glass back.

Winters-Feather

"Eeeehhh?!" Narron blushed furiously at the suggestion of naming the device after him in alarm. He wildly shook his large hands in protest.
"N-n-n-no, that's not it!" he stuttered, "It's just that I don't have any use for such a thing, but it's really interesting, right? So you should keep it. It's a waste on me. Use it for threading. That's why it's a gift. I'm giving it to you."

The man was horribly embarrassed. Name it after him? He couldn't imagine such a thing! It wasn't like he discovered it or would use it or anything like that. His name wouldn't do it good at all. Maybe Ewe's would, though, or something like Making-Big glass or Giant-Small glass or something of the like. He turned his attention back towards the basket full of shells and beads. Subconsciously, his fingers began to play with the pendents on his leather cord.

"Anyway, I came here to trade the things in this basket for some jewelry, if you have some. I'm going to poi dance next week with some of the others."
The man grinned, the light in his eyes flickering in glee at the thought of it.
"It's going to be so much fun," he said as he sat with a straighter posture.

stelmarisa

"For me?!" Ewe's eyes shined as she took the glass back, excited. She laughed at his blushes and held the glass to her chest. "Oh thank you Narron! I can't wait to use it. And, maybe something like, Big-Small Glass will work for now, if you don't think I should name it after you. Your name is prettier than that, though." She teased him gently,  experimenting by holding various objects underneath the glass to see how they changed.

"Oh! Yes I have some jewellery around. I bet I have some that will look perfect when you do your dancing... but you have to let me come and watch!" She leaned over to see what was in his basket, curious.

"What do you have there?"

Winters-Feather

Narron nodded shyly. He was surprised that Ewe had tried to use a name similar to one that he was thinking of, though he didn't bother to say so out loud. His smile brightened as she mentioned that she might have some that he could use.  
"Of course," he replied.
It was a big party- everybody was welcomed.
Narron pushed the basket towards Ewelani so that she could examine it's contents better.
"Just some shells from the beach and beads some main landers traded with. Nothing special," he humbly said.

The man leaned back as he tilted his head up so that he was using his arms to support himself.  He was a little restless; he liked being outside, under the sun or moon. He could stretch his wings more easier that way, or at least move. Narron was only in his hut for sleeping or eating for the most part.
"Is that a fair trade, or do you want something else?" he asked, quite seriously.
If she wanted a different price, he'd try his  best to match it, so long as it was equal.

stelmarisa

"Ooh, they're so pretty." Ewe picked through the items in the basket eagerly, picking some up to examine more closely. "I like these shells!" She seperated some pinky shells, spreading them out on her palm to admire them. "They would look beautiful in a necklace, don't you think?"

She placed them back into the basket and stood up, stretching before she crossed over to the corner of her hut. "No, they're a very fair trade, I like them a lot."

Smiling warmly, she returned to Narron, bringing with her a small wooden hamper. "I have some things in here that might be good for you." She dug through the hamper, quickly retrieving a short necklace. It was made of small white shells interwoven with bright malachite and turquoise stones, the colours gleaming dimly in the hut.

"It looks a lot better in the sun - or by the fire," she handed it over to Narron as she spoke. "What do you think? I think it'd suit you well... you can look at it outside if you like, and I can bring the box outside too."

Winters-Feather

Narron gave a shy smile as Ewe admired the shells.
He nodded as the young woman asked him about them looking beautiful in a necklace. Personally, he thought most did just fine as he didn't really care about the making of such things, but if she said these were nice, then they were.
"Great," he exclaimed as Ewe brought over the familiar wooden hamper.
His eyes widened a little in surprise at the sight of the shell necklace with the beautiful blue, white, and green colors.
"It's amazing," he said, awe struck. "Thank you."

Narron accepted the piece gingerly, as if it would fall and break if he handled it otherwise. The man supposed she was right it would suit him well. It nicely contrasted his flame like tattoos and seemed that it would catch the light of the flickering flames, but wasn't too loose or bulky. He nodded as if a bit dazed at her suggestion.
"Sure," he replied as he carefully got to his feet and moved his way out of the hut.

Once outside, the man stretched out his sea gull colored wings as he held the piece up to the sun light. He couldn't help but to enjoy the breeze that passed by, suddenly getting the urge to go flying.
After this, he promised himself as he waited for Ewe to join him.
Maybe I could bring her along, he thought, If I fly low enough.
"You're right about it looking better in the sun," Narron commented.

stelmarisa

Ewe grinned and bounced a little where she sat, flattered and excited as he complimented her work. Seeing him holding it even she was impressed at how well it looked as if it would suit him.
"It shouldn't get in the way whilst you dance," she explained as he looked at it. "I made sure not to make it too long, for that reason."

Pulling the box of jewellery behind her she followed him outside, blinking in the sudden sunlight. She had been sitting indoors for a while now, working away, and had forgotten that the sun would have risen by now.
"Oh, good. It should have the same effect with the fire when you're dancing too - even better, because the fire will be so bright when it's dark." Her eyes shone as she pictured the scene, and she felt around inside the hamper for some more strands.

"I have some anklets and bracelets in the same style too, if you'd like them. That way you have a full set." She offered, adding shyly,
"I'm glad you like them. I thought of you when I was creating them."

Winters-Feather

"Is that so?" Narron asked as Ewe's eyes lit up passionately when seemed to be engulfed in scene she was painting inside her head. He smiled,  as he stuck out his chest a little, finding her giddiness rubbing off on him. Now he was even more excited for the performance, not just because he got to dance, but now because he got to show off Ewe's incredible creations.

He stooped down to get a better look at the other pieces she was offering him. He gave a broad, almost silly grin. She had made a full set with him in mind? A full set? It flustered him a bit to think that someone had him in their thoughts. He wasn't that important of a person.   He didn't deserve such kindness, yet he couldn't help but feeling proud and delighted at the same time. The villagers meant the world to him- they were his world- so to think that someone valued him enough to do so filled his heart with happiness and gratitude.
"You're amazing," he said with a  small laugh as he spontaneously bear hugged the girl and kissed her on the fore head.
"Thank you."  

He drew back and began to put on the necklace. Ewe had worked so hard, after all. It was only fitting he try it on.

stelmarisa

"Oh, yeah!" Ewe laughed to see Narron's pride and pleasure in her creations. Nothing made her happier than to create items for her fellow villagers and see their delight as they received their personalised items. Knowing that Narron would wear her jewellery in front of everyone made her feel a little giddy.

"I hope they're okay! I-"
Her words were cut off by the hug that Narron bestowed upon her. She giggled as he kissed her forehead, her cheeks turning pink in embarassment.

"It looks good." Still blushing she stepped back to admire the necklace on Narron, pleased with the fit. "What do you think?"

Winters-Feather

"Do you think so?" Narron quietly asked.
He shook his head as the blushing Ewe asked him for his opinion, again.
"You fret too much, Ewelani," he said as he rubbed a turquoise bead between his fingers. The necklace fit comfortably with enough room so as not to scratch up against his skin or choke him, but also small enough so as not to prove a disturbance.  The man  crouched down to put on a bracelet as he made circles with his wrists. He pulled his wings in so that they wouldn't hit the girl in the face.

"I like it a lot. All of them. I'm really surprised," he confessed.
Granted, he was an easy man to please. Still, he usually  never kept most jewelry for a very long period of time, yet he had a feeling that this was a set he wanted to treasure for as long as he lived.
 "You're sure you had me in mind when you were making these?"

stelmarisa

"I do think so. I know you don't wear jewellery that much, but I think it suits you."
Ewe smiled as Narron asked her opinion, and watched with a critical eye as he put on the rest of the set. As an artist, she was used to never feeling like her creations were quite finished, or quite as perfect as they could be, but she did like this set. The colours were nicely complementary, and she'd loved the shells, little white things that curled in on themselves.

"Maybe, maybe not," she teased in answer to his last question. She couldn't quite tell what his reaction was to the idea, whether he was flattered or not.

"Yes, I'm sure." She shrugged then and admitted the truth. "You don't mind, do you?"

Winters-Feather

Narron sheepishly shook his head.
"No, not at all!" he admitted, not wishing to have offend her.
The man rose to his feet and playfully tugged at a strand of aquamarine hair as he looked down into her big, bright eyes.
"I'm honored," he explained, "Really, thank you."

The man hesitated before bringing up another suggestion. He might as well ask now; after all, their business was done. All there was now was to test out how well he could move with the jewelry on, and what was a better way to do that then this? It was so beautiful out.
"Would... you like to go for a flight with me?" he asked, "I'm strong, I won't drop you."
He frowned.
"That is if you're down with your work," he quickly added, "You were busy before with that mat, weren't you? If you don't want to come, I understand."

stelmarisa

"Flying?!" Ewe's eyes widened. "A flight with you? Are you serious?"
She clapped her hands, jigging on the spot.
"I would love to! Oh! How exciting! I'm not busy at all, not really."
She had always been disappointed at her lack of wings, only able to imagine the wonders of flying. The child in her couldn't resist the prospect of seeing the world from a whole new angle, and she found herself barely able to contain her excitement, even as she considered the logistics.

"That would be wonderful Narron! But are you sure you will be able to carry me? What if I'm too heavy... you might hurt yourself!" She frowned in concern.

Winters-Feather

Narron smiled happily at her excitement and nodded when she said she wasn't busy. If she wasn't working, then that was fine.
"All right, then," he said.
The man shook his head when Ewe contemplated her weight.
"No worries," he replied.
The fisher man had spent his entire life flying, on boats, or trading with the men from the main land. He was used to lifting and hauling heavy burdens. The young woman, who was only a few inches shorter than him and weighed considerably less, was nothing compared to that.

He wasn't worried about the remainder of the contents of the hamper being stolen, either, so he promptly walked up to her and wrapped his arms tightly, but gently, around her waist. Their bodies were pressed close enough that he could hear her heart beat.
"Wrap your arms around my neck. Hold on tight, okay?" he instructed Ewelani before lifting off into the clear, blue sky.

Flying with other people was tricky, and Narron didn't like to do it often because he couldn't move as well or fast, which made avoiding obstacles a bit difficult. He shot straight up with the girl. The sound of his wings beating was loud against the sound of the wind, which violently tousled their hair. Narron was glad that he braided his, though he regretted not putting on a bandanna that day because of his bangs.
He stopped once they reached a high enough altitude that the entire village was within their sight, and they could see the breathtaking scenery of the island and ocean that sprawled all around them.

"Are you okay?" he asked, "Which way do you want to go?"

stelmarisa

Ewe took a deep breath as Narron wrapped his arms around her, and clung onto his shoulders tightly. She couldn't repress a little shriek as they took off and closed her eyes tightly. She could feel Narron's wings beating against her arms, the warmth of his body against hers, and the wind ruffling through her short hair.

As they slowed she opened her eyes cautiously, gasping as she saw the village spread out below them. "Oh! Oh it's beautiful!" She kept a tight hold on Narron's shoulders as she peered down carefully, amazed to take in the scenery below them.

"Oh this is amazing... what's that?" Unable to let go, she gestured with her foot towards a spot halfway up the mountain, where the trees seemed to clear. She could see a bright flashing of water that she'd never seen when scrambling through the forests.

"Narron, what's there?"

Tags: