Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Another Land, Another Lesson (Author Hope!!!)

Started by Nix, July 03, 2012, 12:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nix

Arkyn couldn't wait to get off the ship. He felt as though he'd been seasick the entire last week... and the rest of the two months hadn't been much fun either. He stumbled down the dock covering his mouth like he was going to vomit, his heavy satchel slid off his shoulder and jerked his arm to boot as he wretched over the small dock.

"Wow. Now that's something there..." Demaraen chuckled darkly as he watched the little mage spew his innards into the sea. "I told you we should have traveled my way... or not come to such a remote place at all, but you refused... and now you have none of my pity and none of my aid."

Arkyn tried to ignore the tall demon standing behind him... but it was difficult to ignore someone like him. "Shut up... Master...." He grumbled as he stood shakily, wiping his mouth and adjusting his spectacles. "I was not about to travel by your methods... and I want to learn about every culture I can... I cannot skip the islands simply because I have to travel by sea..." Ughhh the thought of it made his stomach turn. "Besides we met some interesting people on the ship..." He muttered as he started to walk towards the village nearby.

Dem chuckled again and followed after the brightly dressed mage, finding it hilarious that the short human stood out so much already. "Yes, I forgot... you acquired more stories for your anthology." The foolish boy, spending his time writing about nonsense... people, lands... stories of victories and myths about creation... it was so pointless... in 12 years the mage would be dead, no children left behind, no one to remember him... and that would be all. Dead, soul consumed by Demaraen as agreed. The end.

"...Master... please do not cause any... problems here." Arkyn spoke in a hushed voice as they entered the village, despite the fact that his words were in the common tongue and the natives' words clearly weren't.

The blonde demon let out a sigh and looked down at the younger male. "I will merely translate for you."
Amalendu Somadev // Arkyn // Ayvya // Brynjar Eir // Cijii // Demaraen Astarthos // Jaibah
// Kaavi Klkrin // Kevinth Arik // Khavanri Jalmuur // Kiaal Ethyarion // Lahvi // Mahvash Samara // Maram-Jinan // Robin // Runeha // Siiraia Ethyarion // Sureya Anelise // Tryggvi Vilhjal

"FEELING GREAT ABOUT YOURSELF IS NOT A JOKING ISSUE, iT IS HEAVY DUTY BUSINESS, aND NEEDS TO BE GIVEN ALL THE SERIOUSNESS THAT SAD THINGS GET" ~American Sports Legend, Charles Barkley

Author Hope

It was always exciting when the boats arrived. Each one brought tales to tell of far off lands, exotic people from far off places. Yes, it was all a real treat.

He had known a boat was arriving, and indeed on the way there he had met sailors and outsiders who could only have come from the latest vessel. They had exchanged greetings, he had attempted conversing. But none of them seemed to know his language, apart from one of them who knew "hello" and "I do not speak your language". Dola had laughed at that, and they chuckled in return.

Not that he could complain even if he wanted to, he didn't know their language either. It was, he mused, a rather silly oversight he had made. One he was hoping to fix at some point, although it would most likely take longer than the duration he usually stayed on one island. It was... difficult convincing himself to delay. There was always something new happening on the next island, just waiting for him, and the overpowering urge to find out what it was.

He hadn't strolled far when he noticed a straggler from the boat. In the distance he could see odd clothing, pale skin, and the familiar gait of those who struggled with seafaring. Poor guy, Dolas immediately waved and shouted. 'Hello! Do you need any assistance?' while heading towards him.

The straggler probably didn't know what he was saying, but maybe he could get the gist of it from his body language.

Nix

For a second Arkyn forgot that these people probably couldn't see the demon walking behind him. Well he didn't know if any of them possessed strong magic and could see through Demaraen's simple trick. He looked at the man had approached him, dark skin like most of the people here, short black hair with white streaks, a muscular build... beautiful eyes... and he looked older than the shrimpy little mage too. Not that he was.

"You are going to start drooling if you stay like that Arkyn." Dem scoffed and eyed the other trying to figure out if this man could see and hear him. It didn't matter either way. "He asked if you need help."

Arkyn blushed at his master's accusation. It wasn't like he was truly ogling the native... but well he was an attractive man. The mage lifted his satchel back onto his shoulder and shook his head a bit. "No... no I am alright." He wondered if the other could understand him, probably not... he wondered if this man could see Demaraen... and if Dem would appear for all to see so that he could fully translate conversations.
Amalendu Somadev // Arkyn // Ayvya // Brynjar Eir // Cijii // Demaraen Astarthos // Jaibah
// Kaavi Klkrin // Kevinth Arik // Khavanri Jalmuur // Kiaal Ethyarion // Lahvi // Mahvash Samara // Maram-Jinan // Robin // Runeha // Siiraia Ethyarion // Sureya Anelise // Tryggvi Vilhjal

"FEELING GREAT ABOUT YOURSELF IS NOT A JOKING ISSUE, iT IS HEAVY DUTY BUSINESS, aND NEEDS TO BE GIVEN ALL THE SERIOUSNESS THAT SAD THINGS GET" ~American Sports Legend, Charles Barkley

Author Hope

As he got closer, Dalo noted the straggler had a friend. A big, burly friend that didn't seem interested in helping his companion. That wasn't particularly nice.

Then again, it could be the straggler's pride, as after his friend spoke to him, translating Dalo assumed, he shook his head and replied in a familiar yet unknown to him language. Shaking one's head was a well-known sign for "no".

He just stopped himself from asking  "are you sure?". It seemed kind, but as he had learned, it was rather condescending and cruel. No, this man was quite sure of his answer.

So instead, as he reached them he turned and began walking by the his side. 'So, what's your name?' He kept his gaze on the straggler. Even if the other one was translating, it was best to look towards the one you're talking to, albeit indirectly, right?

Nix

"He wants to know your name..." Dem said to his possession before the mage could even form a puzzled expression. The demon looked over the native, evaluating the man in his own way. "He can see me." The blonde said narrowing his gaze and walking closer, although still behind Arkyn.

The youthful looking mage rubbed the back of his neck shyly, a habit he had picked up despite having met so may people. For some reason he was relieved that the native see Demaraen, maybe cause he felt a little less like a crazy person this way. "My name is Arkyn, what is yours?"

Demaraen let out an annoyed huff before repeating the rust haired boy's words in the Yoreiqi language, his tone not nearly as gentle and soft as Arkyn's.

Author Hope

They chatted to each other in their own language before the translator answered.

"My name is Arkyns, what's yours?" The translator seemed somewhat grouchy, but Arkyns seemed happy enough. Odd, considering he was the one who still had a hint of sickly green on his face.

He pointed to himself. 'Dalo' No need to translate that, the translator seemed a little... Well, off-putting. Maybe it was just the grouchiness, most translators he had met had a fair degree of patience, and he supposed one needed that to learn another language.

Still, it didn't take long for his curiosity to get the better of him. 'So, what brings you to this island?' His fingers danced to an invisible beat, a sign of restraint. He wanted to bombard the man with questions, but it was best to go one at a time, maybe he could ask several at once later.

Tags: