Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The hit-list

Started by Ycharley, November 02, 2012, 03:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ycharley

Lumina wore a heavy cloak, trying her best to hide her identity as she neared the house that she was told belonged to a man who she would hire. She rode on a large black horse, so she clearly had money. She rode all the way to his door before she stepped off her horse to knock on his door. The only thing that could clearly be seen under her dark purple hood was her snow white hair and piercing blue eyes. It was twilight, growing darker with each passing minute, it had been a long journey here, but it was worth it.

She used the knocker to knock on the door hard, she needed him. Usually she had no problem getting her hands dirty when something needed to get something done, but this was different. The man she needed killed had broke her heart and trust, as well as took something that she desperately needed. With out this rather innocent looking object she could turn into a force of nature, like a tornado, killing both the deserving and undeserving a like.

She just hoped that this man was there, she was told her was the best of the best, and that's what she was going to have to have. 

Benobi

Alistair was in the back of his medium sized house tending to his pure white stallion, Shadow. He never understood why, but the contrast between the name and his actual color suited Alistiar and for some reason seemed fitting. He had just finished brushing the large boy to a high shine when he heard the unmistakable think of hooves. He listened intently as he methodically out the brush down and bedded Shadow down for the night.

Unfortunately, the horse stopped at what sounded like his door. Alistair adjusted the sword he always had on his back and exited the small barn through the back door. He took a fraction of a second to center himself and drew the shadows from in him and around him to cloak his approach around the opposite side of his neighbors house. The shadows were so dark, only those specifically looking at them and with intense concentration would see his movements. Even so, years of practicing his trade made Alistair slow his breathing and step, no reason taking chances.

When Alistair rounded the house he stopped to observe the figure and its horse standing at his front door. The horse was a fine specimen, strong, tall and with a proud bearing speaking to great training. Not a cheap peasant horse. The figure also had impeccable posture and even though her cloak was plain, the difference in the fabric was noticeable to the shadows that touched it. Also, not a garment worn by peasants.

Aistiar let the shadows drop, drew his sword, though he left it pointed down at his side and approached. He hoped the horse wouldn't give him away too soon.

Ycharley

She waited for a while, until she felt a change in the light, a sense her abilities gave her, she turned to see a man slowly approaching.

"So it is true, as silent as a shadow," She said, her voice slightly hoarse from the slight chill of her ride. To a normal man the only thing that would have been visible from under her hood was her intense blue eyes that almost seemed to glow.

"I am assuming you are Alistair," She added after a few moment. She pulled down her hood to reveal her snow white hair, and seemingly matching complexion. Her full lips held a slight pink, as well as her cheeks, which stood out against her light, nearly flawless skin.

Benobi

"Silent as a shadow? Hardly m'lady, for shadows are never silent. Shadows hold all the secrets of the world, and they will tell you if you ask nicely."

He kept his sword drawn but offered her a formal bow and then leaned against a post a few steps away. He adjusted his sword and body so that he could swipe a quick block and spin away from an attack but made no other moves.

"For instance, the shadows whisper to me that by your bearing, calm heart, and the quality of clothes that you are of good upbringing but not from around here. They whisper of a slight increase in the heat from your skin, a need for urgency or perhaps...some other ailment?"

Alistair purposefully refused to answer her question about his name. The more information she had about him, the more power she had. This was especially true since he was in the dark about her and her needs. In his line of work, Alistair was used to...referrals. That didnt mean that he liked unannounced visitors appearing at his residence. After all, this was his retreat, his sanctuary. Alistair tried not to bring business to any of his homes but, sometimes it could not be helped.

Ycharley

"Shadows only speaks to certain people, just like light only speaks to certain people, it all depends on who you are," Lumina replied raising her eyebrow as she took note of his body language. She instinctually took a step back.

"Enough pleasantries, I need your services, will you invite me in or should we discuss the gruesome details out here?" Lumina said crossing her arms, starting to become impatient.

Benobi

Alistair sidled past her towards the door. As he grabbed the handle to open his door, he gave a half now and said, "By all means, let us talk inside. But I'm afraid you'll find that, whether it be public or private, the details only are always gruesome, often in ways you cannot even imagine."

He let go of the door and took a few steps back to her horse.

"If you wouldn't mind, the tea is in the cupboard right above the table and the kettle is in the stove ready to be used. While you attend to the tea, I shall see to your horse. Agreed?"

Ycharley

Lumina hesitated, would she trust him with her horse, her closet pet and companion. Finally she handed over her horses reins, "Her name is midnight," she said quickly before walking into the house to fix the tea. She took her time, observing his house carefully, not really trusting a man who job it was to kill people.

She started making the tea, he mind deep in thought. She wondered how much the man would want, or if he would want more then money.

Benobi

Alistair brought Midnight to the small barn at a slow pace. Letting her steel him and get used to him. Taking care of. Horse was something that he loved doing. The closeness, the companionship were things so much lacking in his present life but that void could be filled by such simple acts.

Alistair put Midnight into the extra stall he usually used for storage, put some fresh hay, oats and water and gave her a thorough brushing. He left both Shadow and Midnight with a small treat and told them both, with all serious, to play nice.

He went to the back door of his house and knocked to let the woman know he was entering. It might seem absurd in his own house but he didnt want to frighten her. He opened the door after the knock and, after entering and closing it, started lighting some candles.

"Did you find the stuff for tea mi'lady?"

Ycharley

Lumina answered him by handing him a mug. She took a sip from the cup of tea she poured for herself, then took a deep breath. She looked at him, almost sizing him up in a way.

"So shall we get to it?" She finally asked, "What would you want for payment?" She continued. She put one hand on her hip, causing her cloak to open, revealing her dark, soft looking dress.

Benobi

Alistair breathed deeply of the tea, letting the sharp steel clear his head and soothe him a bit. He was never sure why, but there was something about the simple act of drinking tea that always brought him into complete balance and focus. Alistair solely lowered himself into a chair near the fireplace, the wooden structure groaning a bit under his weight. He shifted forward to and lighted the fire with a striker left on the hearth and then leaned back in the seat.

"Didnt you want to discuss the details? It seems you've glossed over some very important points that need to be ironed out before a price can even be talked about. For instance, isn't it customary to know your business partners name? That seems to me to be the finest basis for starting a conversation at the very least."

Alistair gave her a half smile as he took a sip of the tea. His sharp eyes never leaving her face or form, observing every detail and storing it away. Was she a fidgeter? Did she do this kind of...business....often? How far could he push her patience? All the small details would paint a portrait of a thousand colors to a trained eye.

Ycharley

Lumina nodded, taking a sip of the tea before she sat down beside him in a chair, enjoying the heat of the growing fire. She wasn't fidgety, she seemed calm, almost relaxed. Finally with a sigh she looked over at Alistair.

"My name is Lumina, and honestly this is my first time hiring a person with... your set of specialized skills," She started, leaning back into the chair slightly. She looked down, taking another sip of the hot tea, enjoying the way it warmed her core. "The basics are someone stole something of mine, something that I have to have, if it was a simple piece of jewelry I wouldn't care, money isn't a problem for me, but its something I can't just go get made," She said, looking at him, seeming to not be intimidated by the trained assassin that sat in front of her.

"So I want my pendant and the mans head, when you agree to the job, I'll give you all the details you want, but until then, I don't want to give out any more details," Lumina finished, taking another sip of the tea, looking at Alistair the entire time. 

Benobi

She was poised, more so than pretty much anyone that visited Alistair with a contract. Most were skittish, afraid of their own shadows, looking for his help to solve a problem that they created. She was also very cautious, giving out just enoug information to make the job look like easy money. However, if there was one thing Alistair had learned, it was that the easy looking jobs invariably almost got you killed.

He very slowly set the cup down as his mind churned through the different possibilities and complications of the job. Alistair leaned backward in his chair, propping it on its back two legs and lacing his fingers behind his head.

"You put me in a difficult spot, Miss Lumina. You say that I have to accept the job before I can get more details. But, I haven't lasted this long in my...profession...by just jumping into a contract. Answer a few small questions for me, then I will decide. Are you accompanying me on this...job?"

Ycharley

"I could," Lumina said, watching him very carefully. "I don't know how my pendant, would react to you, I wouldn't want the person who is doing my bidding to get hurt," She continued, taking another sip of the tea before sitting it down. She reached up to rub the pendant that she had worn sense she was a child, just to be reminded that it was no longer there.

"What are your other questions?" She asked, looking back up at him, hold his gaze with seemed ease.

Benobi

Alistair stopped looking at her and started running through plans and supply lists in his mind, trying to inventory what would be needed for a price and processing this new information. I was obviously some magical artifact, perhaps something she always had close as evidenced by her unconscious gesture to her throat. That would affect the price as such items were notoriously fickle.

"Do you personally know the person who stole it? I don't need the whole history, but if its someone close to you, they'll be expecting you to follow and thus be prepared for it. However, a stranger may not be aware of the significance of this piece to you. Fan ally, the last bit of vital information is, where they are located."

Ycharley

Lumina chuckled, it was a pleasing musical sound. "He will not be expecting it, he thinks I'm dead, he thinks he poisoned me," Lumina spoke as she popped her neck. "He also knows I will not fight with out it," She added softly, looking down.

A suppressed look of rage and hurt crossed her face, but only momentarily. "He was my supposed lover, so we knew each other quite well, or at least that's what I thought," Lumina sighed. "Actually his little hide away isn't far from here, its tucked away in the woods, south from here," She continued after a slight hesitation. Lumina seemed to be deciding if she was going to add something, and finally decided against it.

"Would you want me to come along?"

Benobi

Alistair dropped his chair to the floor with a heavy thud. He had come to a decision, he thought. He braced himself with his palms on his thighs and heaved his frame off the chair. He laced his fingers and stretched his arms far above his head, stretching his spine and all his muscles. Sitting always made him so stiff and he hard being stiff.

"Well, that's enough talk of gruesome things Lumina. The base price would be dependent on your preferred method of payment. So that's another question, whether you'd be wanting to pay in coin or more valuable items such as gems. Finally, no I would not want you to go with me. However, since this...piece...is apparently somewhat irregular and valuable, prudence suggests I take you along. Any questions for me?"

Ycharley

Lumina stood, smiling, "Whats your preferred form of payment, I can pay you either way." Lumina popped her neck, her turquoise eyes seemed unusually bright, the excitement of revenge pushing her abilities dangerously close to the surface. Lumina reached into her cloak pulling out a bag with a mixture of gold and gems.

"This should be enough for now, I can give you the rest once I have my pendant back," Lumina continued with a slight yawn. Personally she would have preferred wine or ale instead of tea, tea always made her so tired. She looked up at Alistair, "Where do you get your abilities? I get mine from a curse," She said looking him in the eye.

Benobi

Alistair reached out and grabbed the bag. He poked through the contents and removed 3 golden coins and one medium size gem. He the tossed the bag onto the chair behind Lumina. He pocketed the down payment and listened as the shadows whispered of growing heat from around Lumina. Alistair knew that the prospect of revenge was affecting her and was worried about her reaction.

"From birth, mi'lady."

Ycharley

Lumina thought of her childhood, before she got her necklace and had a slight control over the light. "I've had might from birth as well, I was cursed in my mother's womb," She said, trying to push the light back down, but having little luck.

"My ability is why my pendant is so important, it give me a bit of control over it. You seem to have to have an excellent handle on your abilities though."

Benobi

Alistair gave a small bow and a sardonic smile.

"Thank you for your compliments, Lumina. Though the reason rests with a father and mother who thought they could use me for their own ends. Now, we have an early day tomorrow. The upstairs bedroom is at your disposal. If you should need anything, I am but a call away."

Alistair turned and walked towards the back door. He would sleep with the horses, make sure they were getting along and that they were not bothered by other nearby residents.