Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Nomads Shifting as the Sands

Started by Juer Kalmuri, January 22, 2013, 04:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juer Kalmuri

It is more of a shock than a depression that swept over Juer following the days after his quest had begun, without warning and without remorse being removed from his home and sent on a quest with nothing but ink and what he had learned. The first day was the longest, worried his skin would blister in the sun, with nothing to hide his shame, he took to robbery to feed himself his first meal and stripped the merchant of his robe in order to dress himself. Now at least half presentable to the outside world, he was faced with the daunting question of what to do next.

He took what he had needed from the merchant and nothing else, awkwardly finding out as he went how difficult it was to do anything with the tattoos providing immediate reminders whenever he tried to touch anything, even lowering his hands to the ground would cause the grains of sand to shift around, avoiding his touch. He decided it was best to try and find the closest civilization he could and get to work learning what he must, so that he may return home and be the leader that he was born to be.

It took a day or two of straight walking, no protection on his feet meant terrible sores and rashes, rubbed raw by the burning hot grains of sand, the moment he stepped foot on ground shaded by a building he was shocked, the cool stone under his feet doing little to sooth him, the village he found himself in was hardly what he was looking fore, a disjointed path of rocks leading though a small outpost, hardly even worthy of stopping for most travelers. But Juer was not most travelers. People looked on as they saw the tall stranger walk barefoot though town, scared to speak to him outright. Juer looked for anything that could he used to help him before he would force himself to abandon hope in this strange place and move on again, seeing no importance in shelter for the night, having no fear of the desert nights.

Zane

A tall and proud man walked through the shifting sands, his entire body covered against the harsh sun. The only thing marking his person were his bold dark grey eyes and the gold and black gauntlets, marking him as a Saint of Cleara Vardad. So where was the rest of the religious group? They had taken another path to the Golden City. The Book told him to go elsewhere.

Walking into the outpost, Sinead heard their whispers. "It's a Saint."
"There's a Saint here?"
"Why are the Saints here?"
"There's only one."
Sinead ignored the whisperings from the group and took the book from the hidden pocket under his sword sheaths on his shoulder. "I'm here. Now what?" He opened the book and began to read.

Juer Kalmuri

Juer would have entered the outpost on one of the other angles of the small encampment, and thus would not have seen the well-clothed saint as he entered, looking straight in the eyes of the standard villager here was almost unfair for Juer to do, already intimidated by the sight of one of the Kalmuri's tribe, the first one to be seen in years. Juer could feel the rumors starting to write themselves, mostly revolving around the idea that Juer was here purely to stir up trouble, Juer even heard one or two "end-times" thrown in there, but Juer was not interested in that, it was plain to see that these people led themselves and therefore were useless to Juer unless a leader was to be found among them, and that was plainly not going to be the case from the looks of it.

Juer would have been in the middle of the outpost when he first heard the word, "Saint" even though he ahd studied the common word of the land, the word meant nothing to him, Juer was slightly confused for a moment before he realized that they were referring to someone, or something that was in the village. Thye must be ether mocking him, calling Juer some slang term made up on the spot or held in this community as something negative, or there was someone else that strode into the village with Juer. Monster or man that had been trailing Juer while he was not looking? Juer was not about to let ether of these cases stand.

Juer would turn, now on a coarse to pass Sinead. Ignoring the villagers as he quicken his movements, not giving the saint mind as he passed, his half-clothed and tattooed body betraying who he was to the saint, if the saint knew of the Kalmuri tribe at all.

Zane

"Find Juer Kalmuri?" The book told him, Sinead knew of the Kalmuri tribe, of course he did he spent all of his free time reading the Book of Fate. A written window into the past, present and future. He looked around, spotting the tell tell tattoos. Sinead slowly made after the man, catching up at his own pace, trying to determin if this man was a threat or not.

Threat or not, Sinead walked up beside the man, "Hello Juer, My name is Sinead Volkov, and I am the Bearer Saint of Cleara Verdad. Mind if I ask you some questions?"

Juer Kalmuri

Juer would, at the first hint that the man was coming up behind him, turn around, his eyes narrowed at the man, clearly trying to come off as short, and hoping that whomever he was, he would leave Juer alone.

Upon hearing his request however, Juer realized he was not going to get rid of him so easily, anyone whom had heard of his kind would know of how stand-offish they were. So to simply tell him no would do little to detour him most likely. That would not stop Juer from trying anyway however, opening his mouth to speak in his native language, hoping the lack of understanding would turn him off of speaking to Juer.

(OOC: [] Signifies words spoken in the Kalmuri tribe's language in this context)

[No, leave me alone.] Juer would say, stepping forward and attempting to look threatening. his open palms pointed at his back as his arms straightened at his sides, his chest and face leaning closer to the saint, trying to intimidate him

Zane

Sinead was quite obviously not intimidated. But he understood the man's language so little was lost on him in the attempt. Through many years using the book, Sinead understood many languages, the tribal tongue of the Kalmuri was no exception. [A Kalmuri so far from home, I can only assume the reason you have left your reclusive tribe is the quest to become the God-king. A narrow mind which turns away those who approach you will do you know good, a King must be knowledgeable of his lands, so how do you know that you have not just turned away one who can help you?]

With that Sinead turned and walked away, no doubt that the man would be reeling from the fact that Sinead spoke in his tongue and knew of the God-king quest. Nothing can hide from Sinead and the book.

Juer Kalmuri

Juer was slightly shocked at his ability to understand him, staring for a moment wide-eyed as he listened to the reply of the Saint, blinking only after he had finished Juer would step back slightly, evening his stance to be standing straight. Shaking his head again at his question and returning with his own, his tone clearly showing his anger.

[Tell me how you speak in my tongue before we continue!] Juer would call after the man, following him now, rage quickly starting to build up as the man turns his back to him, Juer raising his left hand, palm outstretched, to most, this would be a simple sign of someone wanting to get the attention of another, but in the Kalmuri clan with his marked palms, it means that he is about to snap this man's shoulder if he lets him the chance.

Zane

Sinead turned abruptly and snagged the man's arm just above the elbow. [These hands, can kill. Quite simply might I add] Sinead held up his other gauntlet covered hand, [these hands have killed, they have killed a near countless number, and I remember them all them. Killing someone is a simple and haunting matter, to kill is to remember someone's face, for eternity.]

Sinead released Juer's arm. [As I stated before, I am the saint of Cleara Verdad, there is little that I don't know or I can't find out.]

Juer Kalmuri

Juer would step back from him after being grabbed, rage filling him even faster as the saint had the gall to grab Juer, clearly doubting the killing power of the Kalmuri Tribe if he thought he could lecture him while grabbing his arm. Juer held both his hands out on ether side of his body, palms facing Sinead. This time, speaking in the Trader's Tongue.

"You dare insult me this way, I don't know what a "saint" is (there is no word for saint in the Kalmuri language) but my hands can kill as well!"

Zane

"You have missed the point. Think about what I said. There is an astronomical difference between someone who can kill, and someone who has killed. I can tell by looking at you, that you have never taken a life, your muscles are more or less relaxed, and even now while you are seething with rage, your eyes have a softness to them." Sinead, always took the opportunity to teach. Although the lesson was almost always obscure, but there is almost always something to be learned from him.

"As for the word 'Saint'. Basically it means religious leader, in many places saints hold more power then kings as they interpret the will of god. But my religion is not like that. We are all warriors in Cleara Verdad, and through a gift from our god. We can read fate, everyone's fate. It wasn't chance that made me seek you." Sinead's face had softened some. But the hard edge in his eyes made him seem less welcoming, more authoritative, downright intimidating to those unaccustomed to the psychological warfare of holding one's gaze.