Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Two to Make Ends Meet (Le Done~)

Started by Passifloraceae, February 21, 2013, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Passifloraceae

This spot had always been perfect for carving as the sun rose closer to midday, shaded just enough to keep the brunt of the heat off of her while still giving her enough illumination to get her delicate work done. It took some maneuvering and getting out earlier than most to snatch it, but like clockwork she was there, and Aliyah was diligently carving out the details on a three-headed dog no larger than the palm of her hand, chisel working its way into the softstone with practiced ease.

Her face was covered with a thin veil, and she kept her head down for the most part while she worked. Occasionally she would lift her focus to scan the street for anyone looking even remotely interested in her work before she would settle back down, eager to finish this project so that she could get it out for sale. Sell three she'd make what she needed for the day, she always told herself. Sell three, and she would eat. Sell two, something'd have to give. Sell four, she'd sneak away early to enjoy herself somewhere with the meager extra she had attained. If she sold nothing, she would sit there throughout the evening and all through the night if she had to.

One. She had sold one thusfar, which wasn't so bad, but people had not been showing interest today, and it concerned her. Not that anyone would notice, her attention so firmly fixed to what she was doing. Aliyah had laid out in front of her several little trinkets and baubles, softstone decorations, little toys for children, and one larger carving of one of the grand sandworm beasts that roamed the desert, its maws poised for eternity to attack, its eyes sparkling with a pride she felt surely must be inherent for the creatures.

Two to go. That was all she would need.

Zero

Essyrn, such a hot land, the sun relentlessly shining down on the city. Tatsu found the climite agreeable, while most would find it oppressive. Being a foreigner, he always got looks when he traveled through. That the locals thought him unattractive because of his very pale skin, eyes, and white hair did not bother him. As long as he had coin, they tolerated him, even enjoyed having him around, as long as his coin lasted and flowed into their own pockets, that is.

In ways, he could admire these people and their tenacity. They hoarded gold like he hoarded his own treasures, although he was less interested in coins, more interested in magical artifacts and trinkets. Every few years he would make his way here, searching for just such treasures to add to his collection. It was rare for him to truly find anything of note, but he enjoyed the warmth of the land, if not the more reserved people.

His armor glinted in the sun, the pale blue and silver shimmering in the heat. That he wore such heavy clothing got more remarks than anything, even going so far to have a long, midnight blue cloak wrapped about his impressive frame with the hood drawn up and a matching scarf covering the lower portion of his face. Merchants he stopped to speak with warned of heat exhaustion and even stroke, but he shrugged aside their concerns. They would never understand that he did not find himself to be uncomfortably warm, let alone hot.

The market was a busy place, with too many venues to visit in a single day, but he found himself stopped in front of one woman, bent over a carving she was working diligently on. His icy eyes moved over the various trinkets she were peddling, he sensed nothing magical about them, but he had a keen eye and admiration for fine craftsmanship. His eyes moved to the woman herself, his voice was deep, rich, and remarkably soft.

"A fine day for business."

Passifloraceae

Aliyah almost didn't hear him. It took her a couple seconds to register the fact that she had been spoken to, and when it had finally processed in her mind, her hands slowed their work though she did not initially raise her head to look at him. "As fine a day as any, one might say. Business rarely gives us rest."

There was a hint of smile in her voice, and she readjusted the veil she covered her face with to keep herself obscured before finally looking up to the man who had addressed her. Her eyes widened momentarily as she took him in. Large. Very strange, though the voice had given her that impression to begin with. His clothes left her to wonder if perhaps he was some grand being. That, or maybe simply a madman. She cleared her throat quickly to break her concentration away from his looks, though she wondered briefly what he looked like under all of the concealing clothes.

Maybe he was actually a very tiny fellow; wouldn't that be curious?

She cleared her throat again, letting out a small bell-of-a-laugh. "I apologize, my mind has been touched by the sun today, I think." Her smile was unseen, as hidden by the veil as it was, but her eyes would allow him to see that she was grinning lightly, the charcoal brushing under them curling up as the corners of her eyes did. "You wish to see what I have to offer, Sir? Come closer, come closer~ I am finishing a little piece here, but anything you see is for sale."

He was clearly a foreigner. She wondered if he had money on him. She was sure he did considering how much he carried on him. All of those clothes!!

Drat it. She really needed to keep her mind from wandering.

alex_xr

Rayk was foreign born, but his clothes and his comfortableness with the city and the heat, showed he had been here a while.   He walked through the bustling market,  He had found that while looked down on, if he didn't let his guard down, he could make as much money as any native. His tanned, skin stuck out but not as much as those who were actually visiting.  He looked over a couple stalls, owned by him he hid from view watching to make sure all was well.   

He then saw a piece of art that he had to make his. He didn't usually have such a reaction but the piece he saw called to him.   Rayk then noticed that a strange foreigner was near the stall too, he didn't pay him any mind though ignoring him, like any native would of done. " Hello madam, I was wondering how much you would like for the carving of  the grand sandworm beast.   It is well made, I must say you are quite the artist.

Zero

Did he give a faint smile at her greeting? It was impossible to say what expression might be held upon Tatsu's face, all but his glinting blue eyes was covered or in heavy shadow. The cloak swayed softly as his body shifted subtly as her eyes widened. He was used to the various reactions he got. Humans were an excitable lot.

"No need to apologize, this heat must give even the fine Essyari pause at times."

There was little need for coaxing, he stepped closer and happily examined the pieces further, each small detail taken in and appreciated. His eyes lingered on the larger statue of the sandworm longer than other pieces before turning to the object in her hands. He was about to comment when another man approached, speaking quickly about the sandworm statue. That piece was fine work, certainly, but didn't hold particular interest to him.

His head lowered slightly, his posture was relaxed even as he straightened himself from looking over the trinkets. If the intrusion annoyed him, he didn't show it. The natives were a bustling, busy sort, he knew this and accepted it. Still, this man didn't seem to be Essyrn born. His tone had not changed. "Yes, a fine artist."

Passifloraceae

Aliyah hunched over, bowing from where she sat in a deep, appreciative manner. "Your words are flattering, kind Sirs. I feel humbled and unworthy." She allowed her arm to brush over the sandworm carving in an inviting manner, turning to it initially to address the man with his interest invested in it. "A strong, proud creature, no doubts there. He is a larger piece, one that took much work. I imagine he and I danced for...goodness, I am willing to say it was two full nights at least." She didn't name a price, finding it more to her custom to allow the buyer to enter into the haggling. She felt that it gave her a good estimate on what they could and couldn't afford. She could not risk not selling a piece.

She set the three-headed dog in her lap and pushed the sandworm forward with both arms, inviting the other man to touch it and pick it up if he would so desire. Invite all of the senses to get a deeper connection, make them feel like they not only wanted it, but needed it. A smile given, once more unseen due to the veil, Aliyah once again turned to face the second man, the man who had, as of yet, not expressed particular interest in any direct piece.

"Creatures of lore and every day animals, things I have seen and have yet to see, things I have only encountered in my dreams. I carve near anything, and if nothing here is able to...catch your eye..." She picked up the three-headed dog carving, digging into it carefully with her chisel, enhancing the detail on one of its hind legs, "I am more than willing to consider commissions." Her hand pulled the veil up to readjust, taking great care to make sure it did not fall and covered everything appropriately before smiling at Tatsu once more. "An exotic piece for an exotic stranger."

alex_xr

Rayk took out a bag and looked through it,  "One copper crescent? " He knew he was asking a pittance but one always tried to get the lowest price possible,  He wondered what else she might be able to carve as she mentioned commissions, as art was a wanted skill and if you commissioned the right artist, you could raise your standing a bit, as a patron of the arts.

He looked over the man, he seemed very odd, even for an outsider.  He then thought about it perhaps she would want to trade, he had plenty of everyday objects in his warehouse he could barter with, he wasn't sure what the woman would want.  Rayk's tan skin and garb were no disguise though he was ultimately not a native. No mater how much he tried.  He sighed. " 10 copper crescents?  He figured he might have to ply a whole silver but hoped to  get it lower.

Zero

Icy blue eyes flickered slightly, examining Rayk as he offered the copper crescent for the statue. The work was worth far more than that, he knew. Tatsu did not understand this idea of swindling. Take as much as you could, while giving the least amount back. How did people survive? Just the thought was enough to give him a mild headache. Humans would never be fully comprehensible, but at least he knew enough to pass as one, if a very odd one.

At the mention of commissioning a piece he shifted his stance slightly once again, his focus returning to the vendor. He wonder what she truly looked like. The veil made it difficult to determine much about her appearance. Wryly he thought that most of the people he had encountered that day thought much the same about him. There was no real reason for him to be quite as covered as he was, except a dislike for the taste of sand and dust on his tongue.

"A commission...yes, I would pay you handsomely if you could carve a small statuette to my specifications. First, however, that sandworm is worth more than ten copper crescents. It is of a decent size and the craftmanship is excellent. If he is unwilling to pay more than that then I will simply have to buy it instead."

Passifloraceae

Aliyah couldn't help the surprised laugh that bubbled from her throat, couldn't resist smiling and shaking her head. "I have not had two people argue over one of my baubles. Perhaps I should let you both do the haggling together and give it to whoever wants it more~" She laid the three-headed dog she was finishing down beside her, moving to shift onto her knees, a more respectful posture than the informal way she had been slouched in a criss-cross sort of seat.

Shifting her veil again, she pressed her palms onto her upper thighs. "I am very flexible with commissions, down to the very stone you wish the carving to be done in." She could carve just about any stone or wood, and could even carve into more precious stones if she could get her hands on them. "Do you have an idea of what you are wishing for, or perhaps you would like to have a consultation at a time when you have put thought into it?"

alex_xr

Rayk wasn't sure what he meant when he said he would pay far more... 40 copper crescents, then, he had expected her to haggle with him, He had anticipated it ricing from 10 rather fast, hopefully the man was so full of coin, but his limit was what 60 more copper crescents, that gave him some wiggle room.   " 40 copper crescents,  and I might also be interested in a commission... though I think you should do whatever you want, and if it is of enough skill perhaps I will commision something even grander... " He wondered why the woman held her face behind a veil, though he didn't need to know,    He wondered if she would take either of his offers..

Zero

Tatsu wasn't one to mince words. He meant exactly what he said about paying more. Of course he had several thoughts swirling through his mind at any given time, rarely did he speak any of them. He reached his gloved hand inside his cloak, the jingle of coins could be heard as he withdrew a heavy purse. His fingers kneeded the leather exterior, feeling the coins inside, eyes withdrawn and pensive.

Coins meant little to him, truly they did. He didn't have an endless supply of them, but he had more than enough to get buy, and they brought him no pleasure. Only spending them brought any kind of real pleasure, in the form of his trinkets. Or on doting on Ellie. He would have exhausted his entire trove on that child if she wished it. Ah, but she was not here, and no longer a child. He shouldn't mourn for the loss of her company, she had grown into a lovely young woman and it was time to let her grow up. Still, he couldn't imagine it was easy for any father to part with his daughter.

"It would seem the question really isn't who wants it more. The obvious answer is: he does. The real question is who is willing to pay more. I have the distinct feeling that answer is different. I'm feeling generous, however. If he truly wants the worm, then he can have it, I have something else in mind."

Tatsu opened the purse, glancing into it calculatingly. The overwhelming glitter was gold, a bit of silver, no copper. He didn't keep copper, it wasn't really worth all that much and he didn't care about coins to begin with. "I wonder, can you set gems into your stone carvings? The commission I have will be complicated, and will likely take you some time to complete."

Passifloraceae

Aliyah worked to keep her face as neutrally-ungawking as possible, but it was becoming difficult, and she found herself adjusting her veil repeatedly to make sure it wasn't coming undone to give someone the impression that her business skills today were somewhat....lacking.

A neutral face, she reminded herself with a mental scolding. A neutral face, regardless of price. When you show surprise, you give them the idea that you're worth less than what they're offering, and considering that both of them were foreigners of sorts, they were more unpredictable than what she could usually pick out.

Neutral, unfortunately, was not what she managed to maintain when 40 copper was thrown into the lot. When 1 was the original price, she was not expecting for the sudden jump, yet there it was. Her original feeling was that of agitation. How dare he start so low when he was capable of more! But then she bit back those feelings, reminding herself that everyone needed a good deal now and then, so perhaps that's exactly what he had been looking for.

She got her wits back around her while the two spoke. Then the purse of money came out and she lost her neutral face all over again, mouth opening slightly as she stared. Damn damn and double damn! How was she supposed to keep herself business-like in the face of these two when they kept--

Her attention snapped back at the mention of commissions. Business deals, potential longterm business deals. Something she couldn't act like a slack-jawed idiot for. She pulled the statue of the worm onto her lap to give a little extra attention, brushing dust and sand from it. It was her gesture to the less-foreign foreigner that he could have it. Pleased as she was that someone had finally decided to take one of her stranger pieces (for she certainly received an inner joy to carve more peculiar pieces, though most preferred the typical types of good-luck things and what-have-you), she would miss how proudly it protected the rest of what she carved! Reminding herself of the look in its eye, Aliyah gave it a kiss of parting on its stone head, with the fabric of her veil in between, and offered it forward to the man who wanted it.

"I can make whatever you desire, honored guests. My hands know few if any boundaries, and they feel truly blessed when given something truly exciting to carve." She looked to Tatsu who clearly had an idea of what he was wishing for in his mind. "Setting gems is very easy, though, of course, I will need to either have these gems provided or be allowed the time to gather them, the span certainly dependent on what you're desiring. I can set, I can carve, I can do anything you're wishing with whatever you would desire. Time is irrelevant to me, so whatever you please. Complicated simply means more fun, now doesn't it?" She began to pull small pebbles from a bag she kept with her, samples of the stones she could carve, ranging throughout the vast majority of different stones with even some peculiar pieces set in such as petrified wood. She had a few semi-precious stones, but she would certainly be willing to work with any other stone she didn't have, be it precious or otherwise, and she let them both know this as she started to ramble off the business-esque detailings of what she could and couldn't do.

alex_xr

rayk smiled and pulled out 40 copper crescents and 1 silver one. " thank you for agreeing to a price, I will treasure it, I will let you decide what you make, I will pay 1 silver crescent, for whatever you may make."    He lookd at her, she kept readjusting her veil and seemed unlike most he did business with. He was wondering if he should stay much longer but perhaps she would ask questions about what he wanted, she might. Dispite the fact he had said whatever she wanted. 

Zero

Tatsu watched the transaction silently. As long as he had lived among humans, he still found himself struggling with just how the put value on an item. Some places an item could be worth very little, and yet, in another place it could be priceless. Putting the thought out of his mind to ponder at another time, he once again found himself focusing on the woman. She was showing samples of the materials she could use.

He already knew exactly what he wanted, including what materials should be used. As she readjusted her veil once again, he let his eyes travel over the market. This was proving to be a much longer stop than he had originally intended. That thought did not bother him. He had all the time in the world. What was a small delay? But a drop of time in an endless sea. That thought might have disturbed him, many years ago.

"I'm thinking white marble, about the size of a cat, with azure moonstone set as eyes. The details of the carving will be extensive. I can provide the moonstone."

Passifloraceae

This was turning out to be a much better day than she had originally anticipated.

Motioning for the two of them to sit down, Aliyah laid everything out better for both of them to see. She pulled two small pieces of tattered parchment from the satchel of examples, the brush she had purchased for these things, and the ink she had made of powdered minerals and water, gently mixed to make a very pretty purple color! C: The parchments she laid in front of her, one between her and each of the gentlemen whether they had chosen to sit down or remain standing. "Details, details~" she cooed merrily, jotting down the details already given to her. "Moonstone is a beautiful specimen to work with; soft and fun to carve but readily long-lived when treated with the care it deserves. With marble, I am already imagining endless possibilities. You, Sir," She pointed to Rayk with her brush, looking up from her writing. "The materials you're desiring? And then, of course, both of you, give me everything you can for what design you want and just...go wild!"

She was clearly more relaxed now, knowing she had readily secured enough money to get herself through the day, and perhaps even such that she could put a little bit back in her meager savings for her...future plans. Yes, the day's worries were well enough taken care of monetarily speaking, and now she could enjoy this more for what it was: an artistic adventure! "Of course, then, following the details and general outlines, perhaps you both can give me ideas of the emotional or impressionistic display you're wanting to impose upon these pieces."

alex_xr

" I am giving you complete artistic license I want to see what you can do. Is a silver crescent not enough for you creativity. I can give you a gold crescent for the commission. Perhaps that can bring out some of your best work. " He smiled the woman seemed nice and a good artist though he still wondered about her veil.perhaps she was ugly underneath. He figured if he could sell this patron of the arts thing he could earn some good will.dispite the veil

Zero

Tatsu took a seat at the offer, his movements surprisingly graceful and careful. While he politely listened to Aliyah, he made sure to wrap his cloak about himself. It was almost high noon, everyone would be retreating from the heat soon enough. Those hours of quiet restfullness would be the best ones of the day. Then it would get uncomfortably cold during the night. The days were perfect, the nights an aggravation. Probably the only thing that kept him from settling here.

His pale eyes studied Rayk from beneath his hood as he waited for him to explain what he wanted in his commission. Tatsu did re-evaluate his opinion of the man, as he heard what amount of payment he was willing to offer in exchange for the woman's work. He had also wondered about the veil. Was that self-consciousness he detected in her adjustments? Most likely, though what she might have to be self-conscious about was anyone's guess. It really was not his business and he would not be so rude as to ask.

Once Rayk had finished speaking, his voice flowed out once again. "I wonder, Madame, do you know what a Sky Dragon is? Most people seem only to know about the winged beasts from Adela in any real detail."

Passifloraceae

"Your offers are incredibly gracious, good sir, but I fear my artistic talents do not merit any sort of gold." Humility, as she was a bit embarrassed now, fretting over whether or not she would be able to rise up to the standards these two were clearly expecting. Aliyah wondered what gave them desire to seek her talents out when surely there were several other much more well-known and more sought after artists who could work magics she could only dream of. "I will do my work to make you something truly remarkable, and when you rest your eyes upon it, you may choose what you desire to pay me. In such a way, you can be assured that, regardless of how it turns out, you shall not be disappointed, yes?"

She turned her gaze back to Tatsu, more settled by the fact that this one had more of an inkling around what he desired. Listening to his request, though, made her wonder just why these foreigners were so peculiar. Were they all this way? She was, alas, uninformed on most parts of the world, as isolated and branded as she was, and she shook her head regretfully, hoping that her ignorance would not lose her the commission. "I do not know particularly what you speak of, good sir, I apologize. I can, however, work as close as I can to accuracy if given the appropriate amount of detail."

alex_xr

Rayk smiled and wondered what she might begin to work on, he also wanted to know more about this sky dragon so he stayed around, looking at the worm he had just bought.  It would look nice in his house he thought.  He also looked around the market, it seemed that everyone else had gone in for the noon break, he felt the heat and knew he should as well, but he wanted to know more so he stayed out, the sweat on his brow clearly building.

Zero

Tatsu shifted slightly in his seat, settling into a comfortable position. He was probably going to be there for a while. He would have to explain in detail exactly what he wanted from the statue, and probably answer questions. Not that he minded. Even Rayk appeared interested. He supposed it was to be expected. It still saddened him that so few knew or remembered Sky Dragons. Then again, it had been many, many years since The Hunt, as he called it. No humans alive would remember it.

"They are also known as Cloud Serpents and Storm Drakes, but I doubt you've heard those names either. Interesting names, they gave them." He fell silent in his own thoughts for a moment before speaking again. "They are glorious beings. Wise, old, powerful. They watched over humans. Once. A long, long time ago. There was a large clan of them, but they are gone now. Hunted to the brink of extinction. If there are any left, they do not show themselves."

His voice had become soft, distant, as if recalling distant memories. "They were long, serpentine, hence Cloud Serpents. They were mostly scaled, like any dragon, but they had glorious flowing manes of silky fur, with a long, feathery tuft of fur at the end of their tails, a long feathery wisker on each side of their snouts. Antlers, like a stag. They had no wings, they swam through the sky with magic alone. Quite graceful creatures." He fell silent again, perhaps troubled?

OCC: On a side note, you should look up Neon Dragon on deviantart. Her eastern dragons are my basis for Tatsu's dragon form. And yes, the statue he's asking for will be of himself, more or less.