Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Two to Make Ends Meet (Le Done~)

Started by Passifloraceae, February 21, 2013, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Passifloraceae

Aliyah was busy scratching away as quickly as she could as many details as she could on the parchment she had procured for his commission, and as she wrote, she smiled. What a pretty creature! She was imagining a sort of majesty and pride as she delicately shaped the dragon into life within her mind. Fluid, she thought. Did they take humans to the ends of the world and back? How marvelous to think of a world once where such creatures could exist and be friends and protectors to those confined to the ground!

The quill scritched and scratched as he spoke, and with the details she wrote, she drew out examples for herself of what she was imagining. She wasn't really paying attention to the example, as eager as she was to get the details down that he spoke, and then he was silent, and she looked down at it, breath hitching as she imagined how magnificent it would be on more than just a piece of parchment cradled in her hands.

And then he was silent. Bother bother! How long had she been ignoring him? She looked up from her work with hesitant fear and was caught off guard by how...troubled...distant, he seemed. She glanced up at the sky and squinted harshly, shifting the veil on her face to let a little air rush in as she caught up to the fact that it was midday. How stifling, and she had kept the two foreigners who were likely ready to melt out in it! She was terrible, she just knew it!

Scrambling up after hastily stuffing everything she had back into her satchel, Aliyah tried to grab at both of their arms, offering to try to help them up. "Come come! It is much too hot, I fear you will get ill! That will do no one any good, will it? I can take you to where I stay, and you may rest until you feel well enough to go back out in the evening, or you can tell me more about your desires regarding this statue. But no more out in this heat, certainly not!" The fussing of a mother, or maybe just a very eager woman.

OOC: Pretty dragons. +u+

alex_xr

Rayk was thrown off as he was dragged into where ever she stayed. He had been absorbed with the creatures the man described.  He laughed a bit as he could tell she was was now worried having realized they were out in the hottest part of the day.  He hadn't minded he had wanted to hear more, perhaps he would, as he didn't have much else to do as he couldn't make his way back now.  So here he was following this woman to wherever she stays during the break.

The creatures described sounded majestic and wonderful, he hoped he got to see the finished result of her work for the other man, as it was quite nice  sounding.

Zero

Without meaning to, Tatsu had allowed himself to slip into a pensive mood, his dark thoughts troubling him. As a rule of thought, he tried not to focus on his past or on how much he had lost in his life. Doing so could crush him under a heavy burden of despair. It had done so once. The fact that he might have never seen the light again from that dark inner turmoil was not lost on him. The only reason he had been able to rise up from his own misery had been his daughter. He refused to dwell on such dreary thoughts. To do so was simply too dangerous.

When Aliyah grabbed his arm, he lifted his head, icy eyes flashing in the shadow of his hood. Tatsu did not resist her touch, nor did he argue that the heat was not bothering him. The woman was human, he knew, and the heat certainly had to have been bothering her. The other man, too. Rising smoothly he allowed himself to be led. "Of course...we will rest and converse through the heat of the day."

Passifloraceae

She led the two of them through a small maze of buildings and stalls, slinking with ease through alleyways, like a cat, until she made a quick drop onto a lower platform a few feet below. Aliyah was lithe and quick, a skill she had picked up with relative ease when it became necessary for her survival. Sometimes someone would recognize her despite the veil, and she would have to make a quick escape to keep from getting pushed into some altercation she didn't wish to be a part of. Other times she had to get away from a business situation when it had gone sour, particularly when the other found out what she was.

Most of the time, though, agility and nimbleness came as a necessity to getting out of tighter spots when she had to resort to getting what she needed without the ability to pay. Aliyah did not like to steal, regardless of what it was or who it was from, and whether it was a peculiar sense of honor or just sheer guilt, her casual thefts always became a double-mission when she would take it the first day and have to find a way to sneak the money she owed back later when she had procured it. At the very least, it kept any sort of conscience from nagging at her, and knowing she owed these people nothing made it easier for her to go about her business of trying to get her rightful life back.

It all came down to what she was. Aliyah couldn't help but fiddle with her veil again as she thought about it, a plight of necessity more than anything, and she ducked into a tiny little building that seemed to dip even further down, like a basement, though it remained open and lit by what light could shine through the door leading to the alley just above their heads.

"Come in, come in." It wasn't much. With no real decoration past the small hoarde of carvings in one corner, haphazardly piled as if she had recently gone digging through them, it bore little resemblance to a home and seemed more like a hideout than anything. The snoring, slobbering man in another corner didn't seem to help with the ambience, either. "Ignore him," Aliyah murmured, leading them in and waving off the filthy sleeper. She sat them on the ground again after having pulled out two well-mangled rugs for them to plant themselves down upon. No furniture, either. But! The room lent itself a nice cool sensation from the fact that it had the earth surrounding it, and she reckoned it might have been one of the cooler places in the desert at that particular time.

Without a second thought or any words, she was already busy fussing around again, bringing forth a canteen of water and offering it to the two of them. "You'll have to share, I'm sorry I don't have two. I have a few pieces of fruit, though, that I found while stone-searching last night! You are welcome to them!" Aliyah didn't wait for an answer before she had zipped off to another corner, scrounging around in a large blanket-covered mess to pull out the fruit she had been talking about.

alex_xr

Rayk was now not sure what to think, not only were they in some strange alley way but there was a strange man.. and you would think she would live in a better place with such artwork. but perhaps she took the whole starving artist bit seriously.  He wondered what he was doing her he had wrapped up his business letting her design whatever she wanted, he waited for the other man to make the next move. He just did his best to smile and go along with the woman, not taking any fruit or water.

Zero

Tatsu followed wordlessly. There was a lot on his mind. Talking about his people always left him pensive. It always reminded him of just how alone he truly was. Not even his daughter could have taken away that particular loneliness. As far as he knew there was only one thing that could really take that particular pain away, but in all his years since the death of his people he had found not a single other survivor.

Despite his somber mood, he remained keenly aware of his surroundings as he moved through the alley and down into the sub-level room. The air was cooler here, partially buried beneath the earth. The heat hadn't bothered him, but he didn't mind the new temperature. As long as it wasn't actually cold it didn't make much difference to him in the long run. The sleeping vagrant was observed and dismissed from his mind. Not a threat.

If the obvious poverty in which the woman lived unsettled him, it did not show. Though his own clothes were fine, he did not hesitate to sit upon the old rug upon the floor with his long legs crossed comfortably. His pale eyes watched his two companions, subtly. He'd gathered much about them simply from observing them for the short amount of time he had known them. The woman was a kind and honest sort at heart, he had decided. The water was ignored, Tatsu wasn't particularly thirsty.

She turned away from them again, speaking of fruit. He pulled his heavy gloves off and dropped them in his lap before reaching up to push his hood back and pulled the scarf from where it had been wrapped about his nose and mouth, letting the blue silk hand over his shoulder and down his breatplate. His snowy hair and pale skin was revealed by the actions, the coldness of his appearance was not limited to just his ice blue eyes.

"You're too kind, Madame, but no thank you."

Passifloraceae

Aliyah stopped midway in grabbing the fruit, holding the two pieces in her hand before turning to face the two of them. An unseen frown was on her face, and she looked between the two of them. "It's really rather sweet, I promise. Like nectar!" The man interested in the dragon was the most unusual of men she had ever seen, and she wondered briefly if maybe he had been carved from the waters of some oasis. It was fortunate for her that the extremely exotic nature with which he seemed to carry about himself kept her from staring, a keen awareness that doing so would be intensely rude and stir up more questions in her mind that would keep her from thinking in a straight line, like why was he out in this heat when he clearly shouldn't be? People with such light skin always seemed to burn and wither, like a little plant. But he didn't seem all that delicate, now did he? No, certainly not delicate, and he wore armor and the like, which meant that he was likely some sort of wild adventurer. How peculiar! What would a wild adventurer want with a lug of a statue to cart around? Then she started to imagine if he was some sort of mythical fairy person, and she giggled despite herself before catching it and stifling it with a cough.

Damn damn damn quadruple damn! She needed so hard to work on her wandering mind. Twirling back around, she dropped the fruits back onto the blanket before spinning back around to face the two of them once more. "Right, sorry. I'm getting off track again, and certainly you both have places to be and things to do! I will take any details you wish, good sirs, anything else, and I will get to work on the sky dragon and the....whatever...comes to mind." A strange sort of commission to have whatever, but she'd do it no less!

alex_xr

I am curious, where are you from good sir? You are unlike any I have met, I don't mean to be rude, its just not everyday that someone as unique as yourself comes to our city.  Where do you hail from?"  Rayk said wondering where this man could be from. He was unique that was for sure,

Of course it wasn't every day he decided to buy some art and commision an artist. He wondered what he was doing here, after all.  Rayk supposed he would at least wait out the heat.

Zero

Tatsu folded his hands in his lap, not looking at all wilted in any way. Indeed, he seemed cool and crisp, sweat had not even beaded on his skin. When Aliyah could not stifle the beginning of a giggle he merely arched one thin brow in response, his cool expression did not otherwise change. In his travels he had become accoustomed to many different reactions to his appearance. Some were milder, others more extreme, some were positive, some negative. Apparently something about him had amused the woman.

At least she seemed to recompose herself quickly enough, and she had been polite enough not to stare at him for too long. Being stared at made some people uncomfortable. It was hard to describe his own feelings towards being stared at. Not so much discomfort as plan irritation at the rudeness of it. "I have nowhere else to be, Madame, and nothing else to do."

Despite himself, Tatsu found himself turning to Rayk, eyes and expression frosty. "Simply stating that one does not mean to be rude does not excuse rudeness." He made a curious gesture with his right hand over his heart and bowed his head to each of them in turn. "Speaking of rudeness, I seem to have failed to introduce myself. I am Tatsu Drake, and I am something of an antiques dealer, specializing in enchanted and magical relics and artifacts."

Passifloraceae

Aliyah didn't interject when the two men spoke between each other, remaining silent as she pulled her work from her bag, setting them around the small den-of-a-home and pulling out her commissions parchments. One so close to blank it was almost comical that she was going to be working a commission through it, and the other prettily detailed with her picture, the woman couldn't help but feel a little nervous she would not meet the desires of the two who had shown this interest in her work.

They spoke of rudeness, and she scratched her head, choosing to remain silent before rubbing her chin while she concentrated on the drawing, scanning it and comparing it to the notes she had taken while mentally conceptualizing what it would look like in the marble, what the moonstones would seem like set in. "You're going to be a magnificent little thing, aren't you..." she murmured quietly to the drawing before snapping her attention back to the two men. Oh dear, introductions were being made. Did she miss anything? No, she didn't think so. Even so, she didn't introduce herself quite yet, looking between the two men, half expecting them to not really be speaking to her.

alex_xr

"I am Rayk, I am a entrepenur of the area, owning several stalls and things.  I might not be native but I have spent considerable years of my life here in this city.  I must say I haven't see work like yours before, what was your name? " He didn't recall if she had said it but he was pretty sure she hadn't . He  knew the man was right.. but he had the question... most wouldn't mind if one asked where they were from.

Zero

Tatsu listened as Rayk introduced himself and asked for the woman's name. She seemed rather more interested in her work than in them. He supposed that was to be expected. Artists could often find themselves so wrapped up in their art that they find themselves oblivious to their surroundings. At least, that was his experience with them. He found art to be beautiful and fascinating, and those that could create it were to be admired. His own hands were much more skilled at destruction than creation. Regrettably so, at times.

"Yes, Madame, I do not believe you've given us your name. It would be a great injustice for me not to be able to properly credit you when my daughter admires her present." He knew that Nellie would love the statue. It would be of some resemblence of himself, after all. Something for her to remember him fondly when he was not there. A greater present would have been to simply stay with her, but that was not something he felt he should do.

Passifloraceae

A present! How jolly! And for a daughter, no less. She didn't know why she found it somewhat...surprising, that the fellow had a daughter, but then today hadn't been a particularly typical day, now had it been?

Aliyah quickly bowed her head from where she was sitting, her palms extended upwards and out towards them as if she might have been serving them with something in her hands. It was less formal than the full gesture, but it was a customary sort of bow given by one obliged to serve. Whether it was because of the fact that she had been employed to cast their work in stone or simply because she was used to it as a lesser ranked individual, one might have a hard time guessing. "I am Aliyah Fathiyya Rahat-formerly-Darzi, most honored to serve the two of you, Tatsu Drake and Rayk." She paused. Those two sounded together very similar, rhyming! She wiped the small giggle-of-a-smile off of her face before raising her head up to look at them, her countenance still masked of course, but her hands still extended towards them as she first met Rayk's eyes with her own and gave an individual nod of the head and then Tatsu's, maintaining eye contact very stubbornly! Perhaps, then, she did not find herself completely submissive!

alex_xr

" A pleasure to meet you Aliyah, I look forward to the end result. " He was sort of at a loss of words, unsure of what to say or do, he couldn't wait till it was time to go at this point. He looked at the two, and wondered what to say next. Should he say something?   

Zero

Tatsu watched the gesture curiously but merely inclined his head at the mention of his name. His instincts had told him to stop and speak to this woman. It had proven to be a most interesting encounter. The commission had been an impulse decision, but Tatsu felt rather pleased with the idea of the statue. Nellie would like it. He hoped.

The idea of sheltering through the remander of the heat of the day in this small place was less than pleasing, however. Heat or no heat, he had other things he wished to do while in Essyrn. A great many things. He had not held Aliyah's gaze, he did not wish to have a staring contest with her. Instead he began pulling back on his gloves.

"You must both forgive me, but it is time I took my leave. Madame, I shall return in three days to check on your work. I know it will not be finished by then, but I am eager to see how it progresses." He once again pulled out his purse and plucked a small gold coin from it. He left it on his mat as he stood, fixing his scarf and pulling his hood back up. "I will see myself out."

With that, he was gone.

Passifloraceae

The first had given words pretty standard for a desire to take one's leave, and the second had, well, gotten up and left. Aliyah gave the remaining man an awkward bow of sorts, assuming he was leaving from the way he seemed eager to scram, and got up to go gather the supplies she'd need for that night. She needed to go collect stone for these commissions, and she figured she could get the marble she needed with some of the prepay she had received. For the fellow with the all-open commission, Aliyah thought a natural brown alabaster would do lovely! And in such a case, she knew exactly where she could get that on a bit of a side-adventure. She would pocket the money that was left behind for her when Rayk had taken his leave, and from there she would settle to rest until that night when she'd go sneaking.