Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In Light and Darkness [Goblin]

Started by Juno, July 28, 2013, 07:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

She never saw the color her praises brought to the Mordecai's face, but her own smile disappeared at his rejection of her claim. "You know an awfully decent lot, then. You're quite lucky to have them." Her words were not spoken with any coldness or jealousy, but she was certainly feeling it. What she would have given to be able to return to a normal life, to not have her friends and neighbors and fellow countrymen wary of her like some caged animal. It made her wonder if she might ever recover and achieve a life in Connlaoth or if it was just the way of outed mages to live in such a way.

Maddie fell silent for the rest of their night's walk, unwilling to voice the way that sleep tugged at her eyes or admit that she needed rest. They had a lot of ground to cover and very little time to do it. Despite her fears she was quite eager to see her father again, to have some sense of normalcy in her life if she might keep her magic a secret.

GoblinFae

Lorcan held his tongue, unwilling to argue with her. His opinions were his own and should be kept to himself, as he well knew. Instead he trudged along in silence. He was not a fan of walking on in the dark as they were but he had trained in far worse conditions so just continued his march with her at his side with an occasional glance to the side to see how she was enduring.

After a few hours of walking with no other sounds but those of the night between them, Logan found he could not take it anymore. They needed to stop. She needed sleep and it was obvious to him how she was pushing herself. He had hoped she would be the one to call an end to this but at the rate they were going, he could see that she would force them to go until dawn without someone else intervening.

"Ma'am may I suggest finding a place to rest for the night? I fear the progress we make from this point forward will be more destructive than constructive. You are tired and it is dark. In my experience that would make us more likely to go out of our way and have to spend the morning returning to the proper course. We can continue if you wish at first light or even in a few more hours but I think rest would do us both good."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

The sudden sound of his voice should have startled her but she was somehow expecting it, merely turning her head to give her attention as he spoke at last. It was enough to get her to slow her walking pace at first, wondering if he was only saying it because he himself was tired. She would have felt quite guilty to know that.

"No, a rest would be nice," she agreed once he was finished, lifting her head to stare out into the darkness. She had no idea if the Mordecai might prefer to be out in the open or sheltered away somehow but she thought their odds of finding an actual home so far out from the city unlikely. Even the farmland had grown scarce several miles back. It was mostly unplowed, wild land around them.

"We can just find some softer ground off the road," she suggested, unwilling to actually voice the exhaustion she was already feeling after only a few hours' journey. It would hardly help to complain. "And just go on in the morning." Trouble was, she had no idea how far he preferred either and didn't feel comfortable telling a soldier of the land where to go or what to do. Instead of doing any of that she gradually inched her way off the path and further into the brush and brambles one step at a time determined all the while to make absolutely no progress in any definitive direction.

GoblinFae

Lorcan nodded, allowing her to lead to where she wished to be. As long as it was not a truly awful sleeping place he would go where she went. "As you wish Ma'am. As far as our journey together is concerned as long as you remain the upstanding citizen we all know you are then I'm just along for the ride and am to follow your lead. You needn't worry for my comforts or desires. Morning is perfectly fine for picking up where we've left off. We can always make up for lost ground when we have the ability to see where we are actually going," he added encouragingly as he followed close behind her.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

Even with his assurances Maddie hesitated, stepping one way and then the other indecisively. "I don't think we've wandered in the wrong direction at all," she commented, finally choosing a path and stepping cautiously through the darkness. "Do you think we have? You've mentioned that a few times now. Did you...not trust my sense of direction?"

GoblinFae

"On the contrary, Ma'am it is more a figure of speech. It is just that in my experience it is more likely to stray from the correct path in the dark. I was also stating that we can quicken our pace during the day when we are more sure of where we are going to make up for the ground lost by resting. In the dark we are usually forced to go slower for the sake lack of proper lighting and whatnot, unless of course you had the foresight to pack a lantern however I'd likewise be concerned about attracting bandits by bringing such attention to ourselves," Lorcan rambled on as he picked his way through the brush behind her.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

If she had not been so tired Maddie would have had it in her to laugh at his rambling worries. It was endearing at least and would be good for keeping her spirits up once their journey stretched beyond a mere day's walk.

"No lantern, so we're definitely safe," she promised, finally settling to sit down on the first stretch of open grass they came upon and throw her pack down beside herself. "Is this the sort of thing where you stay awake all night so I don't run away or am I trusted more than that?" she asked tiredly.

GoblinFae

Lorcan chuckled at her question even as he plopped himself down to rest against a tree. "Now if I were to do that Ma'am why I'd be dead in no time flat. I highly doubt I could stay awake for a fortnight straight even if I did have fancy elixirs for energy. Nay you needn't worry, I trust you to sleep and stay put. If I was truly concerned I could always link the pair of us together, although truly I see no reason for that unless you would feel more comfortable that way. I must say though," he added rubbing his wrist as if in discomfort, "I am not a fan of cold metal encasing you while you sleep. Rather uncomfortable even if it does make for comical antics in the barracks.

"Nay any keeping up I do while we travel is just to protect us both in case of bandits or other unsavory figures and cretins. You needn't worry though Ma'am you'll be safe with me, of that I assure you. All the same though if you decide to get up in the middle of the night for um you know, personal reasons, if you could kindly wake me up it would be much appreciated just so I know you're safe and you don't get too much of a head's start on me if you did get an itch for a morning jog," he teased with a wink.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Maddie averted her eyes at his description, a bit tight-lipped as she remembered her very recent discomforts of restraints and caging in the jail. "I don't think there will be a need for it, I just wanted to be sure."

His teasing was refreshing, though, and she couldn't help a bit of a giggle at the idea of warning him if she did have a desire to make a run to escape him. "I'm not a fan of running, really. Especially when I have a lot to carry. Would be far too slow to escape," she teased. Settling her bag on the ground, though, she shoved it this way and that to try and form some sort of pillow so she wasn't left to sleep entirely on the ground.

Once she was satisfied she flopped over to curl up with it as best as she could to rest her tired eyes and the limbs that would certainly be sore come morning from such a short journey. "Wake me up if I sleep too long," she warned him, gesturing at herself with a heavy hand before letting it fall back to curl beside her head on her makeshift pillow as a sleepy yawn seized her for the sudden prospect of rest. "Goodnight Mister Dempsey."

It was several moments more before she would speak again, her eyes closed and brow creased with worry. "Don't let the magic happen," she pleaded in a whisper, knowing it was a silly thing to wish for so long as he stayed near enough to nullify what she feared.

GoblinFae

"Goodnight, Ma'am," he replied cheerily, a smile ever on his lips as he allowed himself to get comfortable. His head fell back to look at the stars but his gaze quickly shifted to peek at her from the corner of his eye at her plea. All traces of jest left his voice as he just as quietly replied. "I won't." There was no hardness in that promise either. He meant it and not in the power-hungry or even cruel way he knew from experience that some other Mordecai took pleasure in squashing others. Lorcan was a genuine, good person or at least one who tried to be. Nevertheless it was her fearful plea that kept him up for a good portion of the night rather than any concern that she would flee. He pitied her, this little woman with such a heavy weight resting upon her shoulders. Lorcan knew it was not his place to, but he could not help but wonder what God had intended for her by placing such a trial in front of her. He hoped for her sake if nothing else that she passed the tests placed before her. She was far too sweet to end up behind bars again.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

With his promise she actually slept quite soundly, her mind free of nightmares of that fateful night for the first time in weeks.

Even so, she lifted her head with a start as she'd briefly forgotten in her haze of sleep that she was not at home anymore. Sitting up to look at Lorcan she yawned and stretched a bit as she tried to make out if he was just dozing or still fully asleep.

Looking up to the sky she determined it couldn't be too late. Morning still, at least. There was no real rush even though they were a little short on time. There was enough that she could be a decent human to him and not wake him just to pull him onto the road for the rest of the day.

Maddie took it slow as she stood and brushed herself off, her legs already a little sore and stiff from their short journey the previous night. Carefully and quietly she went to the pack of food to dig out something to munch on until he might wake up. Taking a bit of dried meat and fruit she grabbed one of the water skins to bring with her as well before retaking her seat near her own belongings. At least she could admiring their surroundings, the deep country was quite beautiful and she thought she could certainly get used to the view if it was like that the whole way.

GoblinFae

Lorcan stayed up for much of the night before finally falling into a rather uncomfortable sleep. He woke after her and with a start, flinching visibly as he came into consciousness despite his silence. The man assessed their surroundings, running completely on instinct before breathing a sigh of relief and nodded in greeting to his travel companion. Nothing seemed to be amiss for which he was ever-grateful for.

The Mordecai quietly told her to stay put and that he would return shortly. After moving off to quickly do his business he returned more alert and awake. "Did you sleep well, Ma'am?" Lorcan greeted more cheerily. "I apologize for not being ready when you were. Next time do not hesitate to wake me. I know how important traveling quickly is for you."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Maddie was content enough to stay where she'd been, continuing to just admire the land around them until he returned to her. "I did, actually, thank you. I usually have nightmares," she admitted, glancing up to him briefly. "But I didn't have any. It was...nice. And don't worry, you looked like you needed the sleep."

She stood slowly but finished her breakfast in a quick few bites and shouldered her bag just as fast. "If you don't mind I'd actually like to take things a bit slower today," she admitted, refusing to glance down to the source of her soreness. "You know, just enjoy the scenery a bit. I don't get to come out here much." Well, it was as good of an excuse as any, wasn't it?

GoblinFae

He nodded understandingly without needing any further explanation. It was not his place to drive her forward and onward. As long as she was returned to her home by the designated time, Lorcan owed her nothing. However, he personally was invested in ensuring that he did not hold her back. If she held herself back then that was entirely up to her and he had nothing to say about it.

"The pace is entirely yours to set, Ma'am. Don't worry about me," he added, looking out at the trees around him before agreeing. "The scenery is indeed quite refreshing. It's very different than the city." He smiled over at her before adopting a more relaxed and serious look and dropping his gaze to the ground. "After you, Ma'am."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

"Very different," she agreed, smiling gratefully for his willingness to cooperate with her. It was a relief that he seemed quite the same person even away from the protection of the city or the possibility of neighbors eavesdropping. He was still kind though overly polite and formal with her.

"And please call me Madeline or Maddie. Nobody calls me 'Ma'am.' I'm not an old maid. Yet." She giggled and righted the pack on her shoulder before stepping out to head back to the road. Her pace was indeed quite slow and leisurely, careful not to show how sore and lame she was feeling already. She didn't want to turn back and wouldn't.

GoblinFae

"Far from an old maid," he agreed before realizing how that sounded. "Not that I meant any insult of course Ma'am, I mean Miss Madeline." Lorcan sighed and shook his head, covering his eyes as if to hide himself from his own bumbling stupidity. He was glad they were moving at least so that he had something to focus his thoughts on that was not the little woman at his side. "Do you travel often?" he asked later, grasping at straws and hoping all the same to spark some form of conversation in place of a long journey of silence.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Maddie was happy to settle into the peaceful silence between them, pleased enough that he seemed willing to forego such a formal way of addressing her. It was a small improvement at least.

When he spoke again she smiled slightly in thought and shook her head. "Only when necessary, really. This is the first time I've traveled without my mother. When we need to travel it's really just easier to close up the shop than have only one of us go," she explained. "We just make things to sell. Clothes mostly. And I mend a good deal. Well, less so now that I have to stay at home." Perhaps he already knew that, though. She'd forgotten what she might have told him in their brief meetings together.

"But this is still nice," she assured him with an easy smile. "I feel very...at peace with you."

GoblinFae

Lorcan listened with interest, an easy small on his lips as he nodded his head along with what she was saying. "Ah then consider me honored, Miss Madeline to be gifted with escorting you on your first solo outing," he declared with a short teasing bow. "You know your skills could come quite in handy over in the barracks. Have you ever considered making your business known to the other soldiers? God knows we could use some help in the patching and repairing department if you understand my meaning. Large, clumsy hands were not meant to handle such delicate and vicious instruments as needle and thread."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

She nodded eagerly, a fond smile on her lips as she knew she'd certainly mended a good deal for soldiers in her time. "I do a lot of work for them, yes." Only thing was, she realized, was that it was mostly their wives bringing in their trickier jobs to her. Unmarried ones would certainly have more uses for her and were probably also her least served clientele. "Ah, but- Perhaps I should actually go there sometime. I'm sure they don't quite know of local seamstresses like their wives would," she admitted.

"Speaking of mending, though... Is there anything of yours I can help with while we're away?" she offered.

GoblinFae

"You would most certainly be welcome to come. I would even spread the word among my comrades if you'd like. I can't tell you the number of times we've bemoaned such a seemingly impossible task. And if it's a matter of coming and going for deliveries I'm sure something could be arranged to appease both sides."

Lorcan beamed warmly down at her, a hand coming out to pat her shoulder gently before he remembered how inappropriate she might find the gesture from a male stranger. He let his hand fall back to his side, his fingers curling into an embarrassed fist as he tried to keep his face light and unaffected by his own mistake.

"I don't believe I have anything at the moment Miss Madeline but I would be surprised if by journey's end that is still the case. Certainly when we return though if the offer is still open I know of a few items that would greatly appreciate your delicate service in lieu of my ham-handedness."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]