Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fool's Gold

Started by Lion, September 28, 2013, 02:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

"...All you know are living entities.  Creatures with thoughts as meager as your own.  But even you, in all your might, cannot fathom the source of all things.  Return my heart to me, and all will be forgiven..."

High Lord Doryx tossed and turned in his sleep, and awoke only when the echo of the voice left his mind and he suddenly jumped up.  He sat up in the darkness, looking around him, for he could have sworn the grim echo was right next to him.  But there were no eyes or suspicious form to permeate the darkness.  And the room was cool from the hearth in front of the double bed, and he saw nothing more, not even the faint moonlight coming from the western window could illuminate anything beyond the armchair and ottoman and decanter on the side.

With a sigh, he slumped back into the bed and let the cool sheets embrace him.  The bed was empty, save for himself and the lack of his wife was only another distant topic of his mind.  Doryx relaxed at the realization that it was only a dream and nothing more as he stared up at the ceiling.  Well, there wasn't much use in trying to go back to sleep.  For he knew tomorrow, people from the college were coming over for an important business lunch.  Another sufferance of the life of high nobility, particularly one in his position.  It was one thing having to bother with stuffy nobles who wanted only to get on your good side to share a good word and a little wealth; and another to try and cater to the pretentious scholars with something to prove and just aching to see what holes they could find in your research.  But there was little option in the matter and at his wife's suggestion, he thought of hiring a fool for at least an afternoon's entertainment.

It would at least help lessen the expectations set upon him by bloated egos in college robes.

So when morning came and lunch had been set in the main dining hall of Reichenstone castle, the High Lord's residence in Reichsgard, the courtly capital of Darken Vei, stately but respectable and never overdone.  So far, when the three associates came from the local college, all the well in the House of Acaulian, but even Doryx could only hold his breath for so long.  The lunch was nearing at its end and Doryx caught the arm of his steward coming passed him.  He pulled the old man down and spoke into his ear.

"Where's the fool?" he grumbled.  "That...Efrain Whatsisface!  He was supposed to be here an hour ago!"

"I'm afraid I don't know, my Lord," Irvine answered tentatively for fear of further raising his master's ire.  "My best guess is that one Mr. Efrain is running late.  Shall I send out a party to search for him on the road?"

Doryx released Irvine for after a moment and mulled it over.  "Late," he said, internally shaking his head and watching the college associates talk amongst themselves for the time being.  "Wait another fifteen minutes.  If he's still not here, send the party.  That poor bastard better find himself dead in a ditch, or else he's going to be ashes for my fireplace if he doesn't show soon.  Thank you, Irvine."

Irvine bowed his head and departed toward the main hall.  "Your wishes, m'Lord."

Doryx sat back in his chair and took a sip of his wine, glaring at his three visitors: Mr. Shaemus Crale, Sir Arthwyk Whitley, and last but certainly the least, Arduval Ranis.  They were esteemed in each of their schools, if only because they were proficient in knowing how to kiss ass as much as they knew about the study of magics.  But their meeting here had less to do with their own bloated fundings than it did for the new renovations at Airelos University, and expanding their own arboretum.  Still, Doryx couldn't find himself more bored the thought.

That damned fool better be here soon, or Doryx was going to make good on his promise.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Minion

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear!" his voice echoed theatrically from the shadows, reverberating about the room. Ever the jokester, Efrain had been lounging in the shadows by the wall behind Lord Doryx in anticipation of their meeting.

With arms spread wide he stepped into the light, a toothless grin spreading his lips. "Though wishing him dead in a ditch is not a very nice scenario even for a fool such as I." He came over to the table and promptly plopped himself down on the edge of it so that he could face the province leader.

Shamelessly he sat there grinning and swinging his legs like a child. "Greetings my lord," he hailed, bowing where he sat with a flourish of his hand. "How may this humble jester be of service?"

Lion

Doryx was not proud to admit that he jumped when he heard the voice of the damned jester waiting in the wings.  As did the other colleagues from the college as their conversation was interrupted when the Fool made his way toward the table and had the gall to sit his ass upon it. 

Doryx sat back in his seat and eyed the Fool in his motley livery and soon gave a round of applause, the likes of which his colleagues hesitantly followed.  "Welcome to Reichsgaard, Mister Efrain," said Doryx as he stood and proceeded to shake his hand.  But he didn't wait for him long.  "You ought to do what you came here to do.  And that was to entertain me and my companions here.  That is, if you wish to be paid."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Minion

The jester smiled and straightened from his bowed position on the table but did not bother hopping down. "Of course," he replied quietly before snapping his fingers. In a cloud of dark, scentless smoke that burst out from where Efrain sat, he disappeared. When the smoke sucked back into a central point, the Jester was not to be found.

"Gentleman," he called out, standing with arms wide-spread in the center of the room. "Welcome." Then, with a seemingly bored ease, the man began perform illusion after illusion. He began with the most basic and well-loved ones of making coins disappear and re-appear before moving on to more complex ones.

His final trick was to turn a goblet of water into wine which he then offered to the High Lord himself. "Sir, if you would?"

Lion

The illusions were well done, if not common parlor tricks.  Thankfully, however they were enough to satisfy the meager imaginations of the three colleagues from the college that sat with Doryx.  He watched with a raised brow when at last the cup was handed to him and he sniffed the wine before taking a small taste of it, letting it roll on his tongue and offering the gesture a small smile before setting it back.

"Well done!" he said, applauding and leading the other men in the room do the same.  "I don't know about everyone else, but I certainly hope that's not all!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Minion

"Of course not," Efrain replied with a small bow. "But it is quite unwise for a man to reveal every trick up his sleeve on the first date. I have whetted your appetite for the fantastic, no gentleman? I am afraid though that in order to perform my more daring and devious illusions I must first have time to prepare."

An enquiring nod of his head to Doryx was given before he continued. "Of course with your permission that is my lord."

(OOC: I am SO sorry my friend I have no excuse for the delay >.<)