Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Oh, My Goddess!!!

Started by visualspice, January 03, 2014, 05:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Layana shook her head.
"N-no. I.. I can't. I can't go back yet.. the ritual. I..."
How could she explain why she came back? And what would she say when they met Jocelyn? And how woudl they take knowing their goddess was blind!?

They'd realize the lie.. that she just let them on (though to be fair..s he tried to protest...)
But even still, she lowered her head guiltily.

"We just.. I.. I can't. Not yet... three days. I have to stay out here, three days."

Then raising her head she realized.

"Je-Jeremy!" she turned to wher she thought the bear was and saw his outline, foggy beneath the mask. Stumbling towards it, she grabbed ontot he wooden bear and fell to her knees into the  water int he boat's bottom.

"Please... please... take this blindess away! I need to see! I need my vision! Jeremy..."
but no matter how much she pleaded...

The bear remained silent. Sobbing, she eventually slipped down completely to her knees and cried at the bears wooden feet.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Watching her completely break down in despair almost made Jocelyn wish he was blind again. When she slid down to her knees and burst into tears, he slid over to that end of the boat and sat down beside her. His arm went around her shoulder and, slowly, drew her away from the bear and back to the other side of the boat. Her skin was clammy to the touch and he felt every heave of her shoulders as she cried through the Cloth. Pulling her closer to him, he simply held her to his chest as her tears flowed freely. He could feel them dampening his drying shirt, but now wasn't the time to interrupt her.

"I'll fix this, I swear," he muttered firmly.

The scroll lay discarded in the bottom of the boat, half-soaked by the puddle of water pooling in the hull. Jocelyn reached down with his free hand and snatched it up, turning it over to inspect the writing on it. It struck him that this was the first time he'd ever observed writing, and the colors and patterns began flooding into his head in infinite combinations.

Somewhere in these symbols held the key to solving this mess, and just looking at the jumbled runes, he was already beginning to get an idea of how the bear worked. The patterns were beginning to click in his head.

But the bear was on the other side of the boat, and they were on this side. The sun was slipping past the horizon now, and on any other occasion he would have marveled at its sheer beauty. But she was still crying, and it didn't seem appropriate.

visualspice

When Layana finally found her voice, she sounded as if she were choking on her words, as her voice was hoarse and squeaky from crying.

"But how? The bear won't talk to us! I can't even see to help and we can't go back to the island- Gods!" She buried her face into her hands again. "How can I explain this to my tribe!? M-maybe I can lie. Ye, that's it!" ANd it sounded so decisive.

"If we can't fix this, Jocelyn, you have to promise to help me lie to them. They can't know I can't see!"s he said, and suddenly grabbed onto his wrist, her vision aided by the clothe as she peered up at him through the awkward magical clothe.

"Gods.. I wonder if this happened to me on purpose..."
For all those years of lieing... to think, she lead them on all to believe what she wasn't...
She lifted a few trembling fingers to her lips, but couldn't make heads or tails of any of this.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Jocelyn was taken aback by her urgent insistence. He nearly dropped the scroll when she snatched up his hand. "Uhh... of course," he said hastily, not exactly sure how to respond, "I'll make sure they know you still have your sight."

He felt it wouldn't be a good impression on these natives, to immediately lie to them upon meeting them. In the past, he'd found it more helpful to be up front to the locals about who he was and what he did. Of course, sometimes they chased him around with sharpened sticks too, but Jocelyn quickly erased that memory from his head.

Besides, something about Layana made it seem like this tribe would be different. After all, if she looked like him, then maybe the rest of them weren't so different from him either.

He chanced a glance over the side of the boat and at his reflection in the water. The features staring back up at him were those of a stranger. It was odd to finally realize what he looked like; he'd always had an idea from just touch, but this was something else. He could only look at himself for another second before pulling his gaze back to the scroll.

"This absolutely did not happen on purpose," he firmly declared to Layana as he absently began tracing the scroll's symbols in the air, feeling out the different patterns and different combinations of them, waiting for something to click. This was what he did: figure things out. "The bear somehow switched our sights, and by the Gods it will fix what it did. I just need to figure out how to turn him on again..."

visualspice

Realizing what he was doing, Layana shot a hand out and placed it over his hand and the scroll.
"By the spirits, don't mess with that scroll! We should leave it rot in the ocean! This magic is a curse!"

Cambie

Jocelyn jerked slightly when she grabbed his hand again, not at all expecting her to react in such a way. She was getting better at visualizing the world through the hazy grey and black of the Cloth though.

"How else will we right this mess?" he asked her pointedly. "I will tell your people that you certainly can still see, but I'd rather this be fixed than you having to live a lie your whole life."

The sun dipped below the horizon, finally, and illuminated the sky with a gentle purplish glow. While it was a spectacle for Jocelyn, it also made him realize how dependent on light people actually were. The scroll was already getting harder and harder to see. Reluctantly, he dropped it to the bottom of the boat.

visualspice

Layana went silence. She knew not the answers but him bringing up the point about her lying her whole life...
it made her sob again.

"Gods, I probably deserve this,"s he cried, and buried her face into her hands as she hunched over her lap from where she sat in the boat as the day turned into a much cooler, blustery night.

Cambie

Jocelyn bit his lip as Layana sobbed into her hands. What was he to do? He reached out and placed a warm hand on her back, hoping against hope that it would at least help in her grief. Likely though, his feeble attempt would just bounce off her in her immense sorrow.

Maybe it was just better to let her cry it out.

He folded his hands together just sat there in the little rocking boat, newly blue eyes staring at the puddle of water at his feet. The silence in the air was punctuated only by the lapping waves and the girl's soft mewls.

He didn't know how long he sat there or how long she cried, but by the time he finally looked up again the sky was a dark blue and the stars were beginning to peek out.

visualspice

It wasn't until the stars came out that Layana finally stopped her crying. She shivered, wrapping an arm around herself to keep warm. The faux winged sleeves of her dress did nothing to keep her arms warm (consideirng most of the fabric draped off the arm rather than wrapped around it) and her bare feet could only find a resting place in the chilly waters now resting in the wooden boat's bottom. Shifting her weight on the bench she sat upon, she wiped away the tears and snot from her nose before finally raising her blind folded eyes to him.

"What... what if we can't fix this.."
She blanched, thinking about spending the rest of her life this way,a nd turned her sightless gaze toward the wooden bear. Though she could see the lines the blind fold allowed for her to 'see' things in the wrold around her, she knew enough to notice the bear was still silent and asleep.

"Stupid bear!" she said, smacking an angered fist upon the wood. "This is all your fault! Why did you have to mess with my sight!? What did I do to you, Jeremy!? I only found you in the ocean! It wasn't like I put you there! IN fact, I was just trying to help!"
And it sounded crazy but that's how it was happening- Layana was now going from sad to angry and was slapping and punching- even kicking some at the totem bear-

But nothing she did made it wake up,a nd if anything, her anger only served the rock the boat. And one last angered smack set the woman off-balance,a nd she crashed, sobbingly, back into Jocelyn's arm.

"Maybe this is just a nightmare," she croaked, gritting her teeth. "Maybe when we wake up, none of this will have happened. Your ship will never have sunk, my eyes- and their sight, never leaving me...a nd the wooden bear can just rest, where ever he was, far, far away from me."

And to think! She had grown fond of Jeremy!

Cambie

Jocelyn nearly stood up as she began hammering away at the wooden totem, half afraid that in her frustration she might injure herself or worse. But he stopped just short of grabbing her and pulling her back down. Somewhere deep inside, he knew that if their positions were switched he would've done the same thing.

Finally he teetered off balance and fell back into him. This time, with the aid of actual vision, he caught her in his arms before the both of them tumbled into the boat or out of it. He held her again as she sobbed, his own lips pressed firmly together in silent discomposure while he shot a sidelong glance to the bear. He'd brought this curse on her. On the both of them.

"Shhh," he cooed quietly under his breath when she began to shiver slightly with the night wind. The air, while still warm, cooled significantly as the evening wore on. And it certainly didn't help that they'd been in and out of the water multiple times. Her skin felt clammy and cold to the touch and, though he couldn't see it clearly, it was obvious that her skin (underneath the gold paint) had paled. His arms tightened around her frame, half to steady her, and half for the collective warmth they both might receive.

"Rest yourself. I swear to the Gods, I will figure this out. I swear it."

She was right though. Everything seemed so surreal about the situation, that it very possibly might have been some nightmare. The bear sat there silently, staring at them with those dead painted eyes. Jocelyn doubted that they'd heard the last from Jeremy.

He had two days to solve this. In the back of his mind, he already had a plan: come first light, or even before, he would find a way to make Jeremy talk again.

visualspice

Dizzy, sick and upset, Layana remained wilted and defeated in the young man's arms. It was a welcome sense of relief, even to be comforted by a stranger, but he hardly was seeming a stranger as the hours rolled on. They already shared so much, and suhc a peculiar story it was, it would be awkward to think of him anything less than some sort of friend by now. Either way, she was exhausted as she leaned into him, thankful for the warmth and his words.

"But it's just a bad dream," she murmured, half asleep. She had to tell herself that, or she'd grow more ill. "In the morning, none of this will matter."
Life will go on.
And she would see again.

Though when the gulls cried out at first morning light, and she opened her eyes and, in a half panicked state, didn't remember why she was suddenly blind, she wilted in the after math of her memories and grimaced.
It was another day.
And she still could not see.

Cambie

Jocelyn barely slept that night. For all his exhaustion, there was just something about finally being able to see that had him waking up more than once, groggily realizing that the moon shone brilliantly down on their rickety little boat. In those moments of lucidity he sat there against the side of the craft, staring up at the sky in awe. Layana was nestled up against him, and everytime he peered down at her troubled sleep, he couldn't help but marvel at the way the pale moonlight illuminated her hair, and how it highlighted the dark waves around them.

When he stirred awake for the final time of the night, the sky was still dark but was beginning to turn a shade of aqua. She was still huddled up against him, fitful in her slumber but thankfully still asleep, pinning him against the boat. Peering around and letting his newly restored eyesight to adjust to the lighting, Jocelyn turned his attention back to the discarded scroll some feet away from him. He couldn't reach it with his hands, not without stirring her awake. His foot though...

With some deft maneuvering he managed to re-acquire the scroll, once again studying its strange symbols in the morning light. With his free hand he traced the runes in the air again, letting his eyes close and feeling out the patterns and shapes. The salmon, the claw marks, the snake, the stag... he tried running his fingers along the parchment in different combinations, recalling the energy that had emanated from Jeremy the day before.

And then, all of a sudden, it clicked. He felt it. The pattern.

"That's it!" he said aloud while sitting up straight. It was then that he felt her stir awake in his arms. The look of terror on her pretty face, as she opened her eyes to only blackness, had him wincing and biting his lip again. But at least this time he might have a solution.

visualspice

"Jocelyn?" her voice came out, soft and delicate, even wavering through it's strained sound. "I... I guess you're still here." Which sounded lame and she clamped her mouth shut, teeth biting into her lower lip. "I.. I mean, you... we..."s he sighed, moving away from him and feeling awkward that, oh.. she totally just slept on some random man all night! Her cheeks immediately flushed. If she hadn't been tongue tied before, she was more so now.

Frowning, she looked up at him, and recalled, whens he was half waking up, he made an exclamation.
"And what.. you.. you were saying something as I awoke. Do you see something?" And she peered around towards the ocean, but the only thing she could see was the muddled form of the islands behind them. The rest was just lines of sea.

Cambie

When she awkwardly scrambled away from him, it finally gave the rejuvenated Jocelyn a chance to climb up to his wobbling feet.

"No, but I know something. Just sit tight while I get this stupid bear awake again..."

Before Layana, in her morning grogginess, had time to object, he stepped his way over to the bear. Two hands wrapped around it and turned it right around so that the runes were facing him.

Just as he remembered them. The faintest remnants of magic still lingered from when it'd last awoken. He gave the scroll one last look and, with a triumphant nod of understanding, placed his fingers up against the upraised notches of the carved symbols. Closing his eyes, he traced a pattern between them, letting his senses and his intuition guide him. The symbols were jumbled together, but the shape he traced along those edges seemed to just... fit.

And slowly, in the morning light, the bear's painted lines began faintly glowing again.

visualspice

The moment his eyes began to glow, his monotone voice soon followed.

"Yes, Jocelyn. What is it you desire? I was asleep."

Layana, who had been holding her breath, gasped at the sound of Jeremy's response.
"he's awake!" she said, suddenly hugging onto Jocelyn's arm. "Now can you.. can you ask him to fix this?" she said, not hiding at all the eagerness in her voice. Maybe.. maybe since hte bear's power seemed back, this truly could be fixed.
"Wish for him to fix this.. " and as she was tugging impatiently at his arm, she added, "Please? I don't wnat to stay like this. I can't stay like this. PLease.. please!"

Cambie

Jocelyn's heart skipped a beat when the bear responded. He shot Layana a triumphant smile and responded, "Yes, fix this. You took her sight from her and gave it to me. Give Layana her sight back. I... uhhh... I wish it."

The bear's eyes glowed a light blue, shining in the dim light of the morning. The voice, still monotone, answered them briefly.

"No."

Jocelyn's jaw dropped. Taking a step toward the bear and leaning forward until his face was inches from the totem's painted one, he gave it an incredulous look. "NO?! What do you mean no? Just undo whatever it is you did, and we'll call it a day."

"The wish is granted. Tan'nuh-ku can do no more. Tan'nuh-ku's power is used,"
the bear replied in a toneless voice.

A wave of despair crashed over Jocelyn then and he stepped back, falling back down into his seat with an unceremonious thunk and nearly pulling Layana down on top of him. He didn't know what else to say.

The bear remained silent for a second, before adding:

"Tan'nuh-ku is not the only one. Perhaps Jocelyn and Layana might try another. I am not the only one who may grant your wish."

visualspice

Despair washed over her and she found herself gripping the edge of the boat, her back to it. Beneath the scarf, her eyes wavered with tears. By the spirits, she really was going to be stuck like this. Dread sunk into her heart like a winter chill, and she had almost missed what Jeremy spoke in the end.

"Wait, what?" Blinkingly, she tried to see what the bear meant through her foggy, lined-art vision, but the bear went quiet again. Even still she hesitated and asked, "Did... did you say there's another way to wish?"

For a good long while the bear was silent, but his eyes were still lit up.
And it was well into the five minute mark before the bear spoke again.

"Tan'nuh-ku is one of many. We serve sun. We serve one of sun. Tan'nuh-ku was made for granting wishes. Yours have been sealed."

Layana frowned and grew nervous. What did this mean? Was there hope? And if so... she found herself taking a timid step forward as she asked, "If that is so... how... where.. where are the others? They've become lost in the sea- and even if we find them.. how.. how do we know what o do? How to wish this .. away?"

Again, Jeremy was quiet- ad it seemed he wasn't going to answer her, but in a softer, more faded voice, it answered.

"The sea. I sense some in the sea."
And a pause before it added, "And that tree."

Perking up, Layana turned around to stare back at the island- but she could not see a tree, for there were many upon the island.

"One is on shore.."s he whisepred, hands now gripping tightly ot the edge of the boat.

ANd to confirm that, Jeremy responded with, "Yes. Tana-muk. He's my brother."

Cambie

A pit of despair bubbled in Jocelyn's chest when Jeremy mentioned the other artifacts.

"In... in the sea?" he said in a disbelieving voice. All those priceless artifacts, lost! Their magical powers would never be unlocked now, and the mysteries of a civilization lost so long ago would never be revealed. He felt sick just thinking about it.

He sat up a little straighter though at the promise of an artifact still surviving the shipwreck.

"The other bear totem from the excavation! You mean it's somewhere on this island? It survived the storm?"

"Yes."

Jocelyn stood back up on the swaying boat, cautiously stepping forward until he was standing next to Layana.

"Can you show us the way to it? To Tana-muk?"

The bear's eyes flickered with light again, not as strong as before but still illuminating the boat's interior. It was as if the bear was tired of answering questions. Or was running out of energy to do so. It remained silent for a while and then, suddenly, the entire wooden totem began to tremble slightly.

"...Yes."

visualspice

Layana held her breath. If there was a means to break this curse, to take back that god awful wish and give her back her vision...
Yes. she had to risk it. They had to get to land and fast.

Straightening her shoulders, she approached the bear.
"Then show us where he is."

After placing a hand upon his shoulder, the bears eyes flashed but once- and there, an image danced before her eyes- of a single tree upon a rock, half buried in the ocean- and the faint glimpse of a wooden bear at it's base-
but that was all she could see, and the vision faded, as did the bear's glowing eyes-
and all Layana could do was gape.

She had no idea she was the only one who had seen the vision. SHe just knew they had at least gotten a hint. Groping at the air, she finally got a hold of Jocelyn's shirt sleeve and gripped onto it, peering up at him through the scarf-veil.

"The vision- did you see it? The tree- it.. I think I remember that rock. It's to the north of the island!" and she was all smiles and beautiful again, too bad it was the blind girl who the vision had taken to!

Cambie

"What?! No, I didn't see anything. You know where to go?"

The excitement in her voice brought some life into the young man though, and he peered down intently at her. The brilliant smile on her pretty face stunned him for a second; he'd only seen outlines before, never a true smile. The exuberance of it took his breath away, and it took him a moment to realize it was now his turn to gape. He quickly clamped his jaw shut.

"Okay, north it is then. Uhh... which way is north?" What a stupid question to ask... But he truly didn't know. Instead he picked up the lonely oar and held it firmly in his grip, determination setting in. They were going to fix this problem.

Her back was turned to the bear and his eyes were firmly set on her. Neither of them noticed that, behind Layana, Jeremy began to disintegrate.