Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Oh, My Goddess!!!

Started by visualspice, January 03, 2014, 05:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Layana, appalled, was having a hard time coping with the idea her new bear friend could be harmful. In fact, for all she knew, he could contain the very END of the world! Biting at her finger nails, she tried to shake it off and turned to Jeremy and patted the wooden bear upon the head.

"Of course he is! He's a NICE BEAR!" she retorted, patting him a bit harder than intended upon his head, and not realizing some of her magics had bubbled out in consequence to her emotions as his eyes glowed for just a brief moment and his mouth popped open- though instead of a piece of wood falling down, it jut out and struck Layana as she let out a scream and leaped into Jocelyn's arm.

"IT BIT ME! THE BEAR BIT ME! THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

There it was again, her magic forming itself into an almost-describable shape before bubbling out of her fingertips. Jocelyn was focusing so hard on it that her terrified scream almost had him leaping out of the boat as well. When she jumped into his arms he yelped in surprise and instinctively hugged her tightly, swinging her around his other side and half-shielding her from the bear with his own torso.

The boat rocked dangerously with the movement, threatening to overturn again. It came dangerously close but, slowly, the rocking subsided and they were once again left on the calm ocean waves, upright.

His gaze, though, never once left that wooden bear. He could feel it even more strongly now, the unique magical signature of that unnamed tribe swirling around inside the animal totem. She'd somehow unlocked it, or at least stirred it out of its sleep.

His mouth dropped open slightly as that look of fascination and wonder crossed his features again.

Turning excitedly to look back down at Layana, he exclaimed, "Wait, that's it! I think it responded to you and woke up! Quick, whatever it is you did, you have to do again!" In his excitement he didn't even realize that he still had both his strong arms wrapped around her warm skin.

visualspice

Layana didn't mind him holding onto her, but really- did he have to get so exuberant over the fact she could have awoken a bear bomb!?
"What? No!" she said, wrinkling her nose at him. "What if the next thing the bear does is explode? Or turn alive into one of those more realistic, angry bears and tries to eat us?"
She shook her head.
"No way. No. Besides, don't you think I've done more damage now that I've- OHMYGODTHERE'S SOMETHING STICKINGOUT OFHISMOUTH!"

And her lips hung open as she stared at an ancient scroll stuffed inside the secret compartment that was his mouth.
Hesitantly, she leaned forward to pluck it out, and she could feel something otherworldly about it, but also it's age.

"It's some sort of scroll."s he said, and turned to regard him, still partially within his arms. "And by the looks of it, it's very ancient."
Woah, had they stumbled onto some secret archaeological clue!?
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Jocelyn turned his head also, looking over her shoulder at the object poking out of the bear's mouth. From this distance, the grey lines of his vision blurred the object with the contours of the totem, making it very hard to discern. What he could sense, though, was the dormant magic also swirling around it, either from its own magical qualities or imparted on it by Jeremy.

When Layana identified it though, his eyes immediately widened a bit. It was so rare to find intact remnants of a lost civilization's language, undoubtedly written on that weathered parchment. Positively beaming, he looked down at her and said, "Incredible! We should open it to see what's written inside. I mean, I can't read it but at least you can describe it to me. Unless you think it might somehow be harmful to us."

At that moment he realized his arms were still wrapped around her little frame. His cheeks flushed a bright red and he hastily let go of her with a sheepish grin, instead attempting to direct her attention back to the scroll.

"Do we dare?"

visualspice

Giving a nod, she moved to sit facing Jocelyn on her own seat within the boat. Hastily, she smoothed hair away from her eyes as they glittered over while she peered down at the scrolls.
"I don't think any harm ever came from opening a piece of paper.." Though as she moved to untie them, she hesitated a moment and glanced over at Jocelyn. "Though you don't think this could be cursed, do you?"
And chancing a glance back towards Jeremy, the bear stared at her with wide, unblinking, painted blue eyes. It was almost enough to make her shiver. But then realizing, perhaps he was being silly, she drew in a breath and peered over at her companion.
"Though we've got three days to look into this."
Well, technically two and a night. But still!

"Let's open it up!" And unbinding the largest of the scrolls, she lifted the end up and away from the scroll as it began to unravel itself, and she peered down at the paper while making a face.

"There's certainly something written here, but nothign like I've ever seen! Give it a look!" and she turned it around to show him before she paused sheepishly with an, "Oops.. I forgot.. right.. the whole blind thing."

Delicately clearing her throat, she peered down at the words.
"So like- how ought I to describe this? I've never tried to describe what things looked like to a blind person before. I mean.. what would I even need to do in order to start? Just like.. describe the squiggles here or something? THough soem of these scribbles look like animals.." And she turned the scroll over a few times to give it a once over. "Yeah, something that looks like a bear... maybe a rabbit, and fish."

Cambie

Jocelyn faltered for a moment at the comment on his blindness. Even after all these years of accepting his disability, it still irked him to hear others mention is inability to do things that normal people could. The lines on his clean-shaven face grew a little tighter and his back straightened slightly. He made no retort though.

Instead, the young man extended his hand out to her, palm facing up. "Here, trace it for me so I can understand what you're describing. There's definitely something about that scroll... it could be magical, or it could just be residue from Jeremy himself."

What she described had him thinking. What he knew of these lost tribesmen was that they were foragers and fishers. Did the scroll summon their bounty for them, or lure them for easier capture? Or was there some other purpose to their spells?

visualspice

Layana blinked when his palm was offered, definitely sensing some of the tension from her partner but not being fully aware where it was stemming from. Maybe he was just impatient.

Taking her finger then, she moved forward to draw something.
"At the top of the scroll there's this S like thing- not sure if it's a snake- but here- feel that squiggle? It's like an S with an extra hump- then a second, smaller etching of lines are here." And she drew the three hatch marks close by, being a bit hasty in her finger-work.
"Beside that is something like a bear- like this.. no wait, maybe this. it's hard to draw," she admitted, backing away with a sigh. "It has a lot of detail. Like an inner circle of line art around the main frame. And the colors are opposing- infact, the entire scroll's writing seems to use various colors, certain one's designated for certain symbols." She bit her lower lip. "You think that means anything?"

Cambie

Jocelyn closed his eyes (whatever good that might do) and let the movement of her finger against the palm of his skin do the talking. As she traced the general patterns of what was inked onto the scroll, he envisioned the patterns in his head.

The first squiggle did seem less like an S and more like a snake, and it certainly felt familiar in the palm of his hand. The three hatch marks she traced was even more familiar as he slowly turned his head toward the open-mouthed bear. In his head it looked like the claw marks of a bear, which were also found...

"On Jeremy's back!!!" he exclaimed suddenly as he turned to directly face Layana. "He has both those symbols carved onto his back, and many more! Maybe this scroll is some sort of code on how to activate the bear? Maybe it has something to do with the... colors."

He still had trouble understanding the concept of color, knowing only that it differentiated exactly similar objects from one another. Nevertheless, Jocelyn tried his best.

"Maybe if we trace the same symbols on the carved totem as are written on the scroll, that we can somehow turn him on."
Of course, he could also blow up.

visualspice

"Trace the symbols?"
Layana shook her head.
"I don't know, but you are right. Look... the back of him does have those marks." And cringing, she realized the issue with her and the phrasing 'look' to someone who was blind. Either way, he knew about it anyway.
"It seems the colors though,  in some of these recesses have faded." She traced her fingers lightly over the air above the bear's back before turning to Jocelyn. "I think opening a secret tot he bear might take more than tracing over the marks. They're recessed- maybe we have to put like, I dunno, some sort of liquid inside them or um, I dunno, fill the symbols with sand?"
Wow, did her suggestion sound as lame to him as it did to her?

Cambie

Surprisingly, the look he gave her was a thoughtful one.

"That would not shock me at all, to be honest. These magical artifacts usually take more than just a finger pattern to activate. Let's try it."

And without giving Layana a chance to protest, Jocelyn leaned over to the bear and let his hand feel the ridged carvings of symbols along Jeremy's spine. There were so many of them, and only a few symbols had been written on the scroll. It must've been a clue. Tentatively he traced his finger along the snakelike glyph that she'd drawn on his hand, and held his breath.

Nothing happened.

"See? You were right," he shrugged, idly dipping his hand into the water and trying again with his wet fingers. Again, nothing happened.

"Or maybe not..." He traced several more symbols with the water clinging to his fingertips, to no avail. With a long breath and a sigh, he lazily traced his hand over one last one, a tiny carved symbol that looked like a fish.

Jeremy's painted eyes started glowing faintly.

visualspice

Not noticing the glowing eyes, Layana sighed.
"Well so much for that. Maybe there's some sort of sequence, or I dunno- maybe the markings mean nothing at all." She found herself sighing again as she gave a shake of her head, an elbow resting against the bear's side as she studied a few of the runes nearest to her.

"Heh, this symbol kind of looks like that fish one as well-"

"Hello, Jocelyn," came an other worldly voice- one that sounded as if it had three different pitches within it at once. At the very sound, Layana felt her skin prickle over with bumps as a chill washed over her.

"Er... was that you?" she asked, sitting up hesitantly as she peered over at Jocelyn. That's when the bear's eyes flashed brighter.

"Hello, Layana." ANd it was in that moment she realized the wooden bear had spoke. Her eyes, wide and white with her pupils small, wavered a moment as the rest of her went stock still.
And her mouth was left hanging open.

SWEET SPIRITS OF THE MOUNTAIN!!!! Had the bear just SPOKE to them!?

OOC: Lol don't ask- I'm making this up as I go ahaha.

Cambie

The first hint of something happening was the faint swirl of magic that he felt from the bear. Like it was coming alive or something. The arcane energies convalesced in Jeremy, forming something, something...

And then it spoke.

With a start, Jocelyn sat up straight and slid back in his seat just an inch, blind eyes opened wide behind that Cloth of his. He turned to Layana and perceived her mouth, gaping open. He realized his was also gaping.

"Okay, so I'm not the only one who heard that, right?"

Tentatively he reached out with his wet fingertips to poke at the bear. He shot Layana another look and then once again reached for the runes running down the bear's back. And while he did so, he ventured a soft-

"Hello? Jeremy?"

Of course the bear's name wasn't Jeremy! But it rolled off his tongue so easily, now that they'd been calling it that for so long. It almost seemed natural.

visualspice

The eyes glowed faintly in reaction to the name, and after several moments of dead silence, Layana actually dreaded the powers had gone out. But then she was surprised yet again as she drew back when the bear's eyes lit up again.

"I am Tan'nuh-ku." And his eyes flashed blue again, and faded, then returned as he added. "Or, as the one of Sun has claimed, Jeremy. To whom do I call my master?  I await orders. Tana'dias." And his eyes faded again, before eyes turned on as he added, "I offer wishes to those of worth. So to whom do I call my master? Speak now and I can see what I do."
Then the bear paused before correcting itself. "To see what I can do."

Layana only gaped. Was this for real? Clearly she had passed out through boredom on her boat. Jeremy wasn't real. Jocelyn wasn't real- but just to be sure..
she reached a hand out and pinched Jocelyn's arm.

Cambie

"Tan'nuh-ku..." Jocelyn repeated slowly after hearing that otherworldly voice emanate from the carved wooden bear. He repeated it again and again in his head, and came to a conclusion: Jeremy was definitely easier to say.

And had the bear (whatever its name was) said that it granted wishes? He leaned forward, closer to the bear's unmoving head, rapidly thinking of how to respond. Finally, he said:

"My name is Jocelyn Arh-OUCH! LAYANA!"

The pinch had been entirely unexpected and he now rubbed at it with a slight frown, before reaching out and giving her a pinch back. That'll show her!

"Jocelyn Arhouch Layana,"
the echoing voice repeated. "I await your bidding."

Jocelyn's face turned red again and he quickly shook his head and waved his hands at the bear totem. "No, no, that's not what I meant at all! My name is Jocelyn Arhain. The Third. And this is Layana."

"Jocelyn Arhain the Third, one of Sun," the bear repeated, its eyes pulsating a soft light with each spoken word. "Layana, one of Sun."

visualspice

Layana stared, gaping at the talking bear as her smile grew and grew. She was positively giddy, and because she hadn't registered the full force of the pinch to Jocelyn the first time, she pinched him again.

"Tell me if that hurts and if I'm dreaming!"
For this she could not believe!

Jeremy's eyes flashed again.
"One of the Sun." His eyes went out, but a moment later, the glow returned. "Wishes come from sacrifice from one of the sun. She gives power. Gives us life."

Layana made a face, totally not understanding what the bear was going on about again and... reached to pinch Jocelyn again- at the third time, it was becoming a numbed reflex because this was just TOO weird.

"Is he saying I made him live?" she wondered if her magics had anything to do with it but... this was just so strange!

After a moment, the bear answered her question. "Yes."

Layana was taken but soon laughed. "This MUST be a dream. I mean, I know sometimes I have crazy dreams when I come out here for this yearly ritual but really, this is TOO much!" And then thinking over what it was exactly that hte bear had said, she came to a realization, "And what do you mean about wishes and things..."

"Jocelyn Arhain the Third, one of Sun, he is wish master." And the bear paused and added with brighter, glowing eyes. "And Layana, one of sun, she is wish giver."

Blinking,  Layana found herself suddenly laughing even louder as she patted Jocelyn on the back.
"Did you hear that? He's changing his mind, thinking I'll grant wishes. How surreal!" Shaking her head, she peered over at Jocelyn, but another set of words from the bear had her smile fading.

"Jocelyn, wish master. Jeremy, wish granter. Layana, wish giver."

Layana's brow furrowed.
"So like... what does that... even... mean..." and her expression remained flat and unamused this time. Really, this was just.. weird!

Cambie

"This -OUCH!- is definitely not a dream. What does that mean though? 'Wishes come from sacrifice from one of the sun.' That's you, but -OUCH!-"
After that third pinch, he gently but firmly snatched her hand up to prevent it from accidentally marauding his arm again.

The bear's magical signature was beginning to grow clearer and clearer to him. It's words, not so much."Okay, I'm as confused as you now. Jeremy, er, I mean Tan'nuk-ku, can you explain this whole wish business to us? We're not familiar with the people or culture that made you, and we're a little lost."

The bear's eyes positively gleamed, but its words were not at all helpful.

"Jocelyn, wish master. Jeremy, wish granter. Layana, wish giver."

Jocelyn frowned and looked quizzically at Layana before leaning right up to the bear's face. "So I make a wish and you make it happen. But it requires a sacrifice from one of the sun. Yeah... I don't like the sound of that at all."

visualspice

The bear went silent. Layana blinked, and peered over at Jocelyn.
"That does sound a bit creepy. Especially, considering, the sacrifice was directed towards me."
She turned her gaze back to the wooden bear.
" Though that's odd... only the islanders here know me as one from the sun. How would a bear get that idea? I never told you or Jeremy." And she made a frumpy face at that.

Cambie

"Jeremy? Hello? Are you still awake?"

Jocelyn gave the wooden bear a friendly tap on the head, to no avail. Frowning, he turned his Cloth-covered eyes to Layana. "Yeah, and I'm definitely not one of the sun. I've never even seen the sun. The only reason I know it's there is because I can feel the heat from it." If it had to do with their hair, the blind man certainly had no idea. For all he knew, she could've been blue with orange hair.

He eyed her up and down and raised a brow. "What exactly is it you do on this island? Are you some sort of sun whisperer?"

visualspice

Layana was taken back by the question.
"Sun whisperer?" What did that even mean! Making a face, she shook her head. "No." ANd she paused to regard the statement and answered it careful. "I'm a healer." And she sighed at such a response. "Though I thought that much was obvious." And she gave a haughty fluff to her hair.

Cambie

Jocelyn could not help but smile at her haughty response. By now, he was used to the way she brushed him off so nonchalantly, as if used to the idea that people didn't question her about anything. Maybe she was island royalty of some sort, only accustomed to giving orders, not hearing strangers speak with impunity. He must be irritating her something fierce. Very intriguing.

A thought occurred to him.

"Wait, maybe that's how you woke Jeremy up, by healing him. Maybe he's not a bear totem at all, but someone trapped in the form of one. Try using your powers on him again. Maybe if you heal him enough, he'll make you the wish master."

And possibly him the wish giver. What did that even mean?