Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Horse, of Course!

Started by visualspice, January 03, 2014, 06:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: Taggy-poos to Klei 8D

Also this |8*

-----------

It was really only a few days since the Grand Duke's Masked Ball had gone off without a hitch, though it wasn't that fact that had Lord Edward Draven enthusiastic, for as he was smoothing down his suit and kissing his child goodbye, he explained to her how very improper it would be for him not to make good on his promise to the young Riley Gray.

"Yes, yes, I know it seems presumptuous, but when I was his age, surprises were few and far between. Just think of how his eyes might light up to see our horse at his front door!" he told Britta, who only grinned at him and gave a cooed bubbling of spit. Edward's eyes sparkled with affection as he moved forward and swept her into a hug, then kissed her a few more times before depositing her back into the care of the maid, Sarah.

The older woman was delighted to see her master so rambunctious, for it had been ages since he had been outside of their keep, and she held onto Britta, keeping her to her hip as she helped the young toddler wave goodbye to her daddy as Edward grinned up towards the window and lead the sable horse with the dark brown mane down the gravel path.

It would be some ride, but the day was beautiful and Edward- feeling adventurous, was up for the task. Mounting onto 'Abigail', he gave a light push into her side with his boots and she trotted off down the roads. From what he was told, their estate shouldn't be too far from his own, (at least the keep he kept in the capital) for if he were traveling from Highheart, he'd need more than a day at best! But since he was already in the city due to the masked ball, he was making a several month affair of it and also finally making use of his manor home there.

Though not as lovely as the rolling hills of Highheart, this side of Connlaoth was still breath taking as he thoroughly enjoyed his horse ride until he pulled up the Gray's estate. And when he approached the front, he swung off the horse, boots first, and landed into a puddle. Not thinking much o fit, he removed his riding gloves and took Abigail's reins and strolled forward towards the manor door to give the heavy iron knocker a good hit and then clasping his hands behind his back much like a school boy, he grinned and waited for the door to be opened.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

The Gray Estate, as it was, was more of a city home than one of the great country estates. But still, the blue-grey stone house was well-situated in Uthlyn and had some gardens to its property and a small stable which kept only one horse, and it was for the carriage, not for riding.

On this particular day, the household staff had leave of their duties. They didn't keep a large staff, and at present there were few enough people in the home to give them some leave. So it took some moments before the door was answered, and when it finally was, it wasn't by a butler or maid. Indeed, Edward might have to lower his line of sight, for the door was answered by a girl no more than twelve, a bit breathless from presumably running full speed through the house. Her relation to the Lady of the house could not be mistaken. The girl bore a clear resemblance to Dahlia Gray in her face and had the same curly hair, though hers was flame red and, rather than neatly kept up, floated around her face and down to her shoulders in a somewhat unkempt bushy poof. But what was even more remarkable about it, upon closer inspection, was that nestled in her hair, looking quite comfortable if a bit curious about the visitor, was a large white-and-brown-spotted rat. And, in the hand that hadn't opened the door, she held a rather unhappy looking and rather large frog.

Lilly Gray, for this was the girl in question, looked Edward Draven over in silence for a moment. They hadn't been expecting any visitors and this was a stranger. "Hello? Can I help you?" she finally asked with a slight hint of suspicion in her voice; not of Edward in particular, but the tone any child might use with a stranger they aren't suspecting. Then, as if suddenly realizing she was still holding onto it and it might not look proper, she stuffed the frog into the pocket of her dress.

visualspice

Edward blinked when the door open but he only saw the top of red hair before he peered down. Smiling warmly at the girl, and even more so when he saw the dear rat, he cleared his throat and bowed his head.

"Good day, my lady. I have traveled from Reajh in hopes to request the pleasure of a visit with both your mother and brother, Riley. You see, my horse Abigail and I," to whom he gestured towards, and with a click of his tongue and pointed of his finger, the trained horse obeyed and gave a bow of her head. "She and I discussed a possible surprise visit to see your brother, though I hope I'm not too presumptuous, er, your are sister to young master Riley?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Lilly looked the man over, not entirely impressed by his airs, and maybe a bit more suspicious. Or at least more skeptical! He was acting a bit mad, after all, wasn't he? But more importantly, Lilly didn't normally have the power over answering the door and admitting people or not. She wasn't going to relinquish it just like that!

"You talk to your horse?" was the first thing she said. She, of course, frequently talked to her rat, and even the frog. But she wasn't a grown up. Grown ups weren't meant to 'discuss things' with their horses. "Riley is my brother," she finally answered, but didn't make any motions to let Edward into the house. "But I don't know who you are. And I'm not meant to let strangers into the house. I think..."

But she was cut off. "Lilly? Was there someone at the door?"

The question preceded a silver-haired woman who showed up a moment later. She smiled graciously at the man, who, though she didn't know him, was clearly a gentleman by the manner of his dress. "Lilly, have you left this gentleman standing unattended to in our doorway?" she asked the girl, though warmly, before turning to Edward. "You'll have to excuse her. Come in, please," she entreated, holding the door open. "Please excuse us; our staff is out for the day. But how can I help you, sir? I don't think I've made your acquaintance; I'm Helen Gray."

visualspice

"Ah, you must be Lady Dahlia's mother in law," he stated warmly, bowing his head before her. "And no, I couldn't step in. Not until Abigail has been properly tethered that is." ANd he stroked her long cheek before bowing, "OH! Do forgive me. Where are my manners? Allow me to introduce myself. The name's Lord Edward Emmanuel Draven. How do you do?" And when he raised his head up, some a smile graced his lips as he stood there, horse giving a gently pawing at the ground with it's hoof.

kleineklementine

The woman smiled what might have been a somewhat knowing smile upon hearing Edward's name and nodded her head in polite acknowledgment of his introduction. She opened her mouth to say that it was a pleasure to make his acquaintance, and perhaps something about the horse, but Lilly spoke first.

"He said he's here to see Riley," Lilly announced in a manner that made it clear she thought that very odd indeed. She chose to ignore the fact that he'd said her brother and her mother. Lilly, for one, was not keen on the idea of strange men showing up to meet with her mother. Especially ones that talked to their horse. "And he seems to know an awful lot about us."

Plainspokenness clearly ran in the family.

Helen gave a little sigh, but kept her manner warmly polite, even while reminding Lilly that, "You forget that your mother and brother just attended a ball in Reajh, Lilly. It stands to reason that they may have made some new acquaintances." At this, Lilly shot Edward a baleful, unconvinced look, but Helen returned her attention to Edward, never losing her polite smile. "Yes, I am," she finally answered. "The late Lord Gray was my son. And this is my granddaughter, Lilly Gray, who I will guess has not properly made her introductions to you."

At a nudge from her grandmother, Lilly bobbed a reluctant and hasty curtsy.

"Lilly, why don't you take Lord Draven's horse around to the stable? I'm sure Clover will be glad of the company. Then go and fetch your mother. And please, dear, do take that rat out of your hair."

For her part, Lilly wanted to stick around and see what this was all about and why this strange man was at their house unannounced, but she dutifully bobbed over to the horse, taking the rat from her hair while she did so and stuffing it in the frog-less pocket of her dress. Then she took Abigail's reins from Edward and led the horse around the side of the house, glancing back over her shoulder once or twice.

"Please, come in, Lord Draven. I hate to leave a guest waiting at the doorstep." She stood aside to let Edward pass into the house, then led him into a small-ish sitting room off of the main hall. "I have to inform you that, unfortunately, if you are here to see young Riley, both of the boys are away this week. But please, make yourself comfortable. We can't have you have come here for nothing. Can I get you anything to drink, Lord Draven?"

visualspice

When Lilly gathered the reins, Edward blinked and took a step back to allow her to get closer to Abigail.
"Abigail is sweet, but if you wish to treat her, she does like carrots," Edward suggested, and gave a crooked grin as he heard the frog croak once in the young girl's pockets. And after her seeing stuff two animals in there, he wondered what other sorts of critters she had hidden on her person. Shaking his head after she left, his smile brightened before he turned his attentions to Dahlia's mother in law.

Bowing his head slightly at the mention of her late son, he told her in earnest, "I have heard of your late son and am sorry to hear of it. I have recently lost my wife, so I know how hard it is to over come grief. But I can only imagine how you must feel to have lost him."
And then raising his head again as she gestured for him to come inside, his smile returned, abliet sheepishly as she took a few uncertain steps inside.

He was removing his riding scarf as he did so, studying the foyer of the home and it's quaintness before his brown eyes shifted over to Helen and he nodded towards her, and frowned when he came to realize...
"So Riley is not here?"
And for the week?! The poor man wore his heart on his sleeve, and his emotions plain as day, so it was mroe than evident in the wilt of his shoulders that he was crestfallen. He had brought Abigail all the way out here to see him! How foolish he now found himself without being able to carry through with his surprise intentions!

"That's a shame. I was hoping to make good on a promise I told Riley at the ball. I offered him a ride on my horse and an invitation to my manor. Though perhaps I should have kept the intial offer, I came here today in order to surprise him. I figured, when I was a boy his age, I loved surprises and that well- this would have been perhaps, a nice reunion after the time we had spent together at the Grand duke's royal masked ball."

kleineklementine

Helen gave a small, gracious smile in acknowledgement of Lord Draven's words about her son. "I'm sorry to hear about your wife, Lord Draven. Losing a spouse is very difficult." She smiled a warmer smile, though, at his explanation of his business with Riley. "I'm sure he would have loved that. But no, unfortunately Riley is not here. He and his brother are spending the week in the country with Milo's godfather, an old army companion of my son. I'm sorry to disappoint you. But perhaps you can stay for tea or a small drink? I'd hate to think you'd made a wasted trip here."

A few moments later, Lilly came tearing into the drawing room barefoot; clearly she'd wasted no time in stabling the horse and calling for her mother. She didn't want to miss this! Who was this strange man, and what was he really doing here? She plopped drew up close to her grandmother and resumed staring suspiciously at Edward.

"Lilly, where are your shoes?" Helen reprimanded. "You're forgetting we have a guest."

"They were muddy," Lilly retorted, then turned to Edward. "I like your horse," she said bluntly, almost as though she were saying something she didn't want to. She didn't particularly want to admit to liking anything about him just yet!

Then, not long after Lilly came back in, Dahlia came into the drawing room, but she didn't look like she was expecting a guest! Her curly hair was tied loosely back in something of a 'poof' and she was wearing plain trousers and what was clearly a man's shirt, marked with soot and clay and paint. It looked as though it'd been used as a work shirt for some years. And, smudged on her cheek, was the faint mark of clay. She stopped stock still when she saw Edward, her eyes widening a little in surprise.

"Lord Draven!" she stammered, her cheeks just barely coloring. "I... Lilly didn't tell me we had a guest! I was just working on... in my studio and..." She ran a hand through her hair in an unconscious tick. Dahlia wasn't used to being caught quite so off her guard. "How... are you? Are you staying in Uthlyn, then?"

Helen and Lilly, for their part, exchanged looks between themselves.

visualspice

If Edward was disturbed at all by the lack of order in the Gray household, he didn't show it, and in fact, appeared outwardly.. charmed by it. His eyes alight by the energy and activity there in, and even blushing subtly at how (well at least in his own mind, ) he perceived it to be endearing.

"Well, Lilly, if you like Abigail so much, perhaps later I can take you both for a ride in the park? It seems my initial plans have been thwarted to take your brother out, so perhaps, you and er, whatever siblings are still home- might be able to share in at his expense? But only if your mother agrees... Then afterwards we can feed her apples, and maybe eat some ourselves." ANd the last part he added in a bit of a lowered whisper as he bent over to ensure only the little girl would hear. THough no doubt, her Grand Mother would be able to as well.

And it was here, with his body half bent over, ass facing Dahlia Gray, did the disheveled woman enter the drawing room and with a turn, and his hands clasped neatly behind his back, he regarded the woman with a beam- though the beam of a smile faltered a little at the quirky way she looked. But like the shoeless girl who kept rats and frogs in her pockets, he was no less charmed by her messy dress and face. And in fact, for a brief moment, he was a bit smitten by it.

The way her ash gray hair remained barely kept in a frizzy tail, and how her cheeks lit up beneath dried bits of smeared clay... why, he was, for the moment, speecheless in her presence, that was, until her exclamation of his name came out, her shock, evident, and her inquiry- there in.

Giving a sheepish smile himself, his own cheeks heated on their own as he bowed before her, a bit rigidly, before clearing his throat.
"Reajh," he corrected. "Though it's not too terribly far from Uthlyn. Just a few hours on horse." And his eyes glimmered a moment as he took her in, finding her most attractive in her off-taken state before he, again, became sheepish and righted his posture more appropriately.
"I'm terribly sorry for the surprise, Lady Gray. It's just that at the ball- I had been talking to Riley and came with my horse to surprise him, only to find, much to my dismay, he has flown the coop." ANd he gave a bit of a twitchy grin at his silly kick back to the ball. They were, after all, birds of a feather there, as it were.

Remaining sheepish, as he knew he had caught her off guard (and probably upset her so, his late wife, after all, hated to be caught answering the door in her night gown, or other such inappropriate things) and though Dahlia was hardly dressed in appropriately, he wasn't born yesterday, and knew she would probably have preferred not to be caught so off guard in this way. And for that, he felt immensely guilty, but in a sense, took a bit of pride int he fact he caught her this way- for at the ball, it wasn't that he was not charmed by her or her family already, but to see a woman so exposed...

Oh.. he really needed to keep his mind away from staring at all of the pottery caked onto her form.

"Your mother in law and daughter have seen me in. And I.. I'm sorry to intrude, dreadfully so, but as I stated, I was hoping to catch Riley and offer him a ride on my horse. Though I suppose, if it were not so inconvenient, if any of your other children are home..'A nd he looked about, straining his ears as if to catch the possible noise of another lurking... "Then I would not mind obliging any of your other children in a ride upon Abigail. That is, with your permission." And at that, he gave a bit of a leftward smile, one that was almost dreamy in the way it tugged at his cheek. "Though I'd understand if you'd rather I see myself out. I have showed up quite rudely so, without so much as a proper announcement and here I see you were busy. Clay pots... or .. sculpting?" he inquired, gesturing towards her dress. There was no use in hiding the fact it was quite obvious.

kleineklementine

Lilly folded her arms and looked at Edward, clearly unimpressed. Her little baby brother might respond to obviously staged whispers, but she was eleven, not some little kid, and she could see straight through his act - as she saw it! "No, thank you," she answered curtly. "We have our own apples. I can eat them any time I like." A vague look of regret might have passed her face (After all, she wouldn't mind going riding! Especially on such a beautiful horse! But riding with someone else, of course.), but she certainly wouldn't admit it out loud. Frowning sourly at Edward, she added, "And both of my brothers are out."

Helen sighed. She wasn't entirely surprised at Lilly's behavior. In the day that Riley had been home after the ball, but before leaving with Milo, he'd gushed about the new friend he'd made, and Lilly  hadn't been impressed then, either. But Lilly had been the closest to her father, and Helen suspected that she resented the entrance of some other man in her brother's life. But all the same, that wasn't an excuse for bad manners, and she cleared her throat. A clear message to any of her grandchildren.

Getting the hint, Lilly heaved a sigh and 'corrected' herself. "Excuse me, Lord Draven. I would love to feed your horse some of our apples. I don't really feel like riding, though." That would have to be good enough; her grandmother couldn't expect much more, surely!

Dahlia, still collecting herself, shot a thankful look to her mother-in-law for handling Lilly. It was bad enough that she'd abandoned this man at the ball when Janette had her... incident... as, she supposed, had Riley. (Though, was she overthinking that? Surely he hadn't really waited for her to dance. Surely he'd gone straight on and danced with some other lady. Right?) And now he'd shown up at their house before she'd even managed to send a letter of apology. And now Lilly had to choose this moment to put all of her pre-teen charm on display?

"Yes," Dahlia repeated, still looking a bit bewildered, "Riley and his brother are spending the week with Milo's godfather... Um, can I get you anything?"

Helen looked between Dahlia and Edward and, deciding it would be the best, announced, "I'll go make some tea, shall I? Lilly, come along with me. You won't make your grandmother carry a tea tray wiht her weak old arms, will you?"

Lilly had also been watching the interaction between Edward and Dahlia and didn't like it one bit and definitely didn't want to leave them on their own! But one look from her grandmother told her to shut her mouth, and she followed Helen out of the room.

Dahlia watched them go, then turned back to Edward, feeling a bit conspicuously alone with him now. (Surely she was overthinking this). "Oh, pottery," she answered, with a bit of an embarrassed laugh, when he asked 'pottery or sculting,' and she looked down at the smudged white shirt, as if just realizing she was wearing it. For a moment, a shadow of something passed her face. The shirt had, of course, been Kerry's. Once she had delighted in stealing his shirts to use in her workshop. The newer and cleaner the better. Now she didn't need to steal any; but she didn't dare touch the ones that hadn't already been turned into smocks. They stayed clean and pressed and folded in the wardrobe that had been 'theirs' but now was definitively 'hers.' But it was only for a moment, and when she looked back up, she seemed more collected.

"Of course I wouldn't rather you 'see yourself out,'" she admonished him, but warmly, and with a smile. "Don't be silly. I'm sorry that Riley isn't here to receive you, though. Oh, please sit down," she added, suddenly realizing that they were both still awkwardly standing. "I think we both owe you a bit of an apology, er, after the ball. Neither of us gave you a proper good bye. Or any, for that matter! And now I'm afraid your trip here is proving to be a bit of a disappointment."

visualspice

Edward, still smiling like a teenager, nodded warmly at Dahlia's words. Though his blush would take ages to go away (after all, he felt so ridiculous), but he didn't want to dampen the mood, so he simply nodded his head and obliged.

"Very well, I shall take a seat, but don't think I'll be needing that apology," he said with a smile and shake of his head. "I waited as long as I could and was proper, but assumed you both were busy. The evening was lovely anyhow. And as far as today goes, don't worry about it, Lady Gray. I'm sure something can be done with the day, that is to say, if you'd be alright if we made a thing of it. I did bring a horse, after all."

ANd as he went to sit down, still grinning over at her like an excited teen- he then suddenly yelped and shot up from the chair, just as a frog ribbited and leaped onto the ground.

kleineklementine

"Oh, no, really I feel I ought to," Dahlia continued with her apology, despite Edward's objection. "I wouldn't want you to think we'd just abandoned you, but my sister... well..."

Dahlia said this as Edward finally sat down, and she crossed his path to move to sit down herself. But she didn't get anymore out because at that moment, Edward yelped and shot up, just when Dahlia was in exactly the wrong place! Startling backwards, she tripped over Edward and tumbled backwards onto the drawing room carpet.

visualspice

Watching her fall, Edward did the only thing a gentleman could- So he reached for her as she was headed for the ground.
"Lady Gray!" he shouted. And as his hands fetched around her wrist, it was too late- she was already on the ground and with her dead weight there, it dragged him down too with an 'Oof' as he landed awkwardly over her person.

Dazed a moment, he pushed himself up and looked down at the poor woman, his blonde hair a mess about his face.
"Are you alright, Lady Gray? Please forgive me and my clumsiness. I.. I didn't want to sit on Young Miss Lilly's frog and I-"
And before he finished that thought, the little green frog ribbitted and leaped past the pair of them from where they were now situated most inconveniently upon the floor. Naturally, it landed in poor Dahlia's hair, as Edward simply gaped at the frog as it just stared, with awkward flat lips and it's eyes in opposing, blinking directions, back at Edward.

kleineklementine

Dahlia's first 'oof' from her own fall was followed quickly by a second when Edward was dragged down as well, landing on top of her. Though the second one might have come out as a bit more of a groan. Edward was a lot more solid than she was! Once she had her wind back, Dahlia could feel her cheeks warming again. A bit warmer than her first blush; it was one thing to find Edward unexpectedly in her sitting room and another thing entirely to find herself on the floor of her sitting room with Edward on top of her!

But nonetheless, amusement shone in her eyes; it was just too ridiculous. She gave a short, embarrassed, breathy laugh, looking up rather sheepishly at Edward (her cheeks still pink) and opened her mouth to say something, but was interrupted by the frog landing - naturally - on her head. What next? Then whatever words she might have said disintegrated into laughter. Still laughing, Dahlia reached up, conscious of her movement beneath Edward, and removed the frog. Then she carefully propped herself up on her elbows. This put her in a slightly less compromised position, but also put her rather closer to Edward.

"Sorry," she laughed. "Welcome to my very orderly household, Lord Draven. As you can see, everyone is welcome here - men and frogs alike!"

As if to punctuate her point, at that point a sleek, wiry grey deerhound loped into the sitting room. Excited to see people on the floor and wanting to be involved, his tail took up a quick wag and he trotted over, and began licking Edward square on the face.

visualspice

At her laughter, a smile cresented his lips; and as her laughter continued, his smile broadened into something more warm and genuine and by then, he had moved to shift himself onto his knees.

"My lady, please allow me to help you to your feet." And as he was offering her hand, the family dog entered the room, quite delighted by this predicament as Edward's face scrunched by the over abundance of doggy-breathed kisses.

"Well, at least your dog likes me. I'd be in trouble if he were a mean beast," and playfully, he ruffled the dog's neck fur, then his cheeks. AN the dog, enjoying it thoroughly, lulled out it's tongue as it gave a few contented thumps of it's back paw.

"And don't apologize. I think we've done enough apologies for one day!" he said with a soft laugh,a d after patting the dog upon the head, he re-offered his hand out to Dahlia.
"So.. about that hand I offered, if you're willing to take it, I'm willing to get us both off the floor."

kleineklementine

Dahlia couldn't help but snort with suppressed laughter when the deerhound entered the scene, greeting Edward enthusiastically and a bit... wetly. She managed not to send herself into stitches again, though, instead ending up with a broad, amused grin across her face.

"Oh, I think you can go ahead and call me Dahlia now. Now that we're, ah, so well acquainted," she laughed.

Scooting herself up to a sitting position, she hooked an arm around the dog and pulled it affectionately away from Edward. Then she took ahold of the beast's head and gave it a quick kiss on the nose. "There, you've had your kiss, you ham, now off you go," she said laughingly, admonishingly, to the dog, then gave it a playful swat on the rear. The deerhound gave her one quick lick on the face, then shuffled off and flopped down in front of the fireplace, tail still wagging.

With a gracious bow of her head, Dahlia took Edward's hand and pulled herself up. Once on her feet, Dahlia ran a hand through her hair in a mostly-futile attempt to get it back into some order. "You must think I run quite the madhouse," she admitted, looking up at him with big, earnest eyes. "But I swear it's not usually this crazy. Normally I have two boys to add to the chaos!"

Lilly, unnoticed at first, came back to the room as Dahlia got back on her feet. But she hung back at first, not liking what she was seeing. After Dahlia made the comment about her brothers, Lilly stepped into the room properly and cleared her throat loudly. "Excuse me, Lord Draven. But my grandmother would like to know how you take your tea."

The disapproving look of the girl could not be missed.

visualspice

As the two now stood off the floor, it was hard for him to keep his gaze from Dahlia Gray, though his  brown eyes did travel to follow the dog to where he finally settled by the fireplace, which only made the Lord smile even brighter.

"A mad house? Nonsense," he insisted. "If I were to have as many children as yourself, I should think my own home would fair the same." And his grin was a bit smitten as he took her in, when a throat clearing drew his attention elsewhere.

"Three lumps of sugar, and honey if you got it. I've always preferred by tea rather sweet." He said with a shrug, though if he noted the girl's souredness, he did not dote on it as he turned back to Dahlia. "Will you be having tea as well?" And noticing a piece of clay, or some such, tangled within her hair, he reached forward and plucked it out, but as he did so,t he dry bits crumbled between his fingers.

"Er, you had some clay right there. I was trying to spare you from it, but I think I've made it worse," and he laughed awkwardly, having found himself in quite the odd moment with Miss Dahlia, and he, fumbling t help her brush some of the dried bits from her shoulder. Though he supposed, it didn't matter if he did that. Her own clothing was already crumbling with the drying mess from her pottery adventures.

kleineklementine

Dahlia had to laugh at his comment about having 'as many children as her.' "If you think this is a lot, you should have seen my home growing up. I was one of ten!"

Then Lilly entered, and even if Edward missed it, Dahlia couldn't ignore her look. Composing herself a bit more, her almost childish grin turning to a more polite smile, she took half a step back from Edward. She couldn't help but feeling a little bit like she had when she was still a kid and she'd been caught with Kerry. Not that this was anything like that! And she felt a little guilty, too, because she knew that Lilly missed her father every bit as much as Dahlia did.

Lilly looked a bit incredulously at Edward's request for 'two sugars and honey,' her bright blue eyes widely wondering if he was joking. But when he insisted that he preferred his tea sweet, she assumed he was serious and just nodded her head. At that point, Edward reached out to remove the clay from Dahlia's hair and Lilly's nose scrunched up. Having fulfilled her grandmother's request, Lilly turned on her bare heal and headed straight out of the sitting room. Gross!

Dahlia laughed again, but rather self-consciously now after observing her daughter, and uncertain of her own feelings at the moment, and moved her hand to brush the clay out of it. In doing so, her hand brushed against Edward's as he was trying to do the same thing and she glanced up at him a bit sheepishly. "Yes, I'm a bit of a mess, aren't I? If the boys were here, they'd never let me stay in the sitting room in this state. But luckily for me Lilly is much less fastidious." She grinned again, again a bit sheepishly, then suggested, "It's probably safe for you to take a seat now, Lord Draven, if you like. Though I can't offer a complete guarantee that you won't find more little creatures."

Lilly returned a moment later, burdened by the tea tray, with Helen not far behind her.

visualspice

"Really, Miss Dahlia, you may call me Edward. I do believe we are on more friendly terms now?" he reminded, grinning much like a young boy in love- and perhaps he was, or at least was beginning to coin some affection for the beautiful, albeit filthy, woman before him.

"And I-" though before he had a chance to accept the offer, he turned and smiled when Helen and Lilly returned. "The tea smells lovely." And he went to take a seat, this time mindful where he did, and was fortunate enough this time that there were, in fact, no animals beneath him, but the dog's gaze did remain upon him, his tail thumping happily when the others entered the room. And after accepting his tea, he nodded to them both, "Thank you." And took a sip and landsakes, it was a bit sugary, but hey, at least it was something to wake up his limbs from half a day on the road.

kleineklementine

Dahlia smiled feebly as Edward finally sat down and nodded acknowledgement at his insistence that she call him ‘Edward.’ Well, at least they were over that. But then again, it suddenly felt a little strange. It was one thing, boldly suggesting that they dance alone on the balcony when they were at the ball, but Dahlia wondered about her attitude now that she was here in her own home, with her daughter and mother-in-law. But she couldn’t deny that, whatever the reason, she felt a little flush to find Edward here. Once Edward took a seat, Dahlia sat at an opposing chair, cautious not to soil it.

Lilly plopped down unceremoniously next to her grandmother, who was already sitting with her cup of tea. She was staring meaningfully at Edward, just barely managing not to glare daggers at him. “What about your horse?” she asked. “Does she want a bucket of honey, too? Should I bring her one?”

Dahlia shot Lilly a look, but it was too late for her daughter to take the words back now.

“How long are you staying in Uthlyn, Lord Draven?” Helen asked politely to break the tension coming from Lilly. “You must stay with us, of course, now that you’ve come all the way here. If you haven’t already made arrangements yourself, of course.”

Both Dahlia and Lilly suddenly looked at Helen, but she paid them no mind. Helen Gray was always a gracious host. And, taking advantage of her proximity to Lilly, she gave her granddaughter a nudge.

"Oh, yes, Lord Draven!" Lilly spoke up with an automatic (forced) brightness. "Then you can take me riding!"