Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Mending Feathers (Rhi)

Started by wolfie, May 04, 2013, 05:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfie

"I guess if he's going to steal from a lord he would take a uniform too. I could find out for you if you like?" She said just trying to be kind. She had been thinking of the angles on how to rob a lord. She didn't think it wise to encounter them though that usually led to more trouble than it was worth.

Ewara's mind was reeling though. She remembered that the guard said a couple of robberies. She wondered if they already knew about this one. She wished she had asked more, but then again taking an interest would look odd to the guards. She couldn't call attention to herself. It would be a couple of days before she could start that dress. Then unloading it would be easier than pie.

"So how long before someone will report their lord missing and come looking for you?"

Rhindeer

Shit. Hatame hadn't thought about that angle. People would notice a missing lord and report him, wouldn't they?

"Erm...probably very soon! Which reminds me, I really shouldn't leave them worrying. Ah, thank you for all your help, but yes, I really should be off! They wouldn't know where to find me, after all!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

wolfie

"You really shouldn't be travelling yet. Perhaps something to eat or drink?" She said trying to be a good hostess. She hadn't really been taught much of that in the desert though. Ewara wondered what she should offer as well. He didn't seem to want her to contact anyone which was suspicious.

"I could still send word that you are here and alright if you'd like. Wouldn't be any trouble," she said waiting for him to turn it down. She had a feeling he was hiding something. She didn't like it when people did that it usually turned out to be bad.

Rhindeer

"Nope, nope! It's all good. I don't want anyone to worry, see, and besides...I wouldn't want to upset the missus! She hates when I'm out late, haha!"

With a pained grunt, he rose to his feet, wobbling slightly where he stood.

"Though I appreciate everything you've done for me, ma'am! Truly. I would've been dead if not for you! So, ah, here!"

Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out one of the stolen rings and held it out to her. "A token of my gratitude!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

wolfie

She wished he wasn't standing he wasn't doing so good. She could see that in how wobbly he was on his feet. She sighed wondering if this was just like home when it came to men not listening. So far she had been proven right in her theory that every place is the same in some form.

"It was no problem really. I'd like to think if I was hurt somewhere someone would do that same kindness for me," she said then saw he was offering her a ring. She blinked for a moment then realized the one thing she hated to understand so quickly.

Ewara didn't want that ring and she knew why. She wondered if she should call him on that ring or just take it and return it to where it belonged. Not many would recognize rings, but she kept her eye on all things shiny when they entered her shop. It was no wonder he was hurt.

"Where did you get that?" She asked just sitting there. She wanted to hear what lie he would come up with having that ring. There was no good one out there.

Rhindeer

Hatame gave a little shrug. "Oh, this old thing? You know, I don't really remember!" he said, eying the trinket. He laughed and rubbed the back of his neck. "I just have so many of them, you see! But ah, yes! A duke in, uh, Featherfall gave this to me! An old friend and all. But here, you can have it! Neither of us will miss it."

Once again he proffered the ring. "Go on, it's okay. Really!"

wolfie

Oh what a web was here. She took the ring even though she wasn't sure she wanted it. It would be easy enough to turn him in now if only she was that kind. She pocketed the ring for now not sure what she would do. She could make up a lie about finding it on the street and getting it back to its owner. She would need time to make sure it was convincing enough. There was no way she could sell it the ring was to well known.

"Please sit back down I'd hate to have to pick you up off the floor," she said watching him. The items in the room were where she left them so she knew he hadn't done anything in here. He wouldn't do that to me. Besides I keep nothing in this shop worth that unless I've already done so. She thought getting tired of this game.

"So how long did you say you'd been a lord?"

Rhindeer

Stubbornly, Hatame remained standing, even though his legs felt wobbly. Because by the gods, he would walk himself out of here, and he would do it soon, because this woman was keen and was starting to poke at his story. He wasn't sure if that was out of genuine curiosity, or if that was because she was wise to him.

"What? Oh, silly girl. I've been a lord all my life! I was born into the life, as were my parents before me," he said, moving shakily for the door.

wolfie

She sighed. He wasn't going to sit down. He was ready to leave even if his body was telling him otherwise. Ewara just never understood men. She had a feeling she never would.

"Do I offend or something? If you are meeting someone I can direct them here. I can also take a message to them. You really should at least sit back down," she said trying to remain sounding kind. He was irratating her.

"Ah you hadn't said before and I've heard some aren't born into that life. I've heard of some people just taking what they want. Lucky for us the guards are around so we don't have to worry about such people."

Rhindeer

Oh gods. Yup. It was definitely time to bail. Maybe it was a complete coincidence that she was speaking of people who weren't born into nobility, or who 'took what they wanted', but it was making him nervous, making him worried that she was growing wise to him.

Especially with that casual mention of the guards.

Yikes.

Rubbing the back of his neck, which was a little sweaty, Hatame laughed and backed toward the door. "Oh, no no. You've done so much already! I couldn't ask more of you. Please don't worry yourself! I promise I'll be fine!"

His hand found the door and he grappled with it before finally pushing it open and half-stumbling out it.

wolfie

Him leaving like that confirmed it for her. She knew that look, and had done her best not to have it on her face in the same circumstances. She wondered what he took and where he was going. She couldn't just outright ask him about it though he was trying to cover it up.

"No need to leave you are fine here. Please at least sit," she said again but he wasn't listening. She had spooked him, and now she was going to pay for it in some way. He had exited the back room and was now out in her store. She followed him.

She was watching on a second before she found he knocked over two displays and was heading for a third one. She moved swiftly and grabbed him by the arm before he knocked it over too. She directed someone to clean them up for her.

"Now I was being nice earlier," she said having a nice grip on his arm. He had angered her greatly. She lowered her voice so only he could hear, "go back in that room and lay down or I will alert the guard on who you really are. Yes, I know. I'm not about to turn you in unless you try to leave."

Rhindeer

When the woman grabbed him by the arm, Hatame's first instinct was to twist around and roughly shake her off, but he refrained--half because it hurt to move like that, and half because he knew his own strength and didn't want to hurt her. He was about to tersely tell her to let go when she spoke before he could.

And all their pretending and pretenses came crashing down.

Dammit.

"...So you're gonna hold me hostage instead. That it?"

wolfie

The look on his face was priceless. She sighed and knew that this was now one big mess. She couldn't turn him in without turning herself in, and she wasn't about to do that. She wasn't dumb though in what he did and didn't need to know. Just because she knew he was a thief didn't mean she had to share.

"Men are nothing but babies when it comes to being hurt. That isn't just some little scratch. If you would listen to me we wouldn't be in this mess. I grabbed your arm to keep you from hitting a third display of mine. If anything happens to those I'm out money," she said shaking her head and saying it loud enough for all to hear. It would do him some good in her opinion to feel sorry for a merchant.

"Now as for the hostage thing," she said lowering her voice for just them again. Ewara hated this. She wondered if she should, "I am doing this for your own good, you big dummy. One, they are looking for anyone matching your wounds. Are you looking to be caught so quickly? Two, those injuries need rest and time to heal. I'm giving you a place that is safe to do so. I know the guards and can keep them from suspecting you. You have a safe haven here and you would rather blow it and just go do things on your own. I've known those like you in the deserts where I used to live. They aren't around any more."

If anything she hoped he was listening now. She hadn't turned him in, and truthfully wanted to assist him.

@Rhi-Rhi

Rhindeer

Hatame opened his mouth to protest, but no sound came out. Mainly because...ugh. As much as he hated to admit it, she had a valid point.

Several of them, in fact.

His shoulders slumped in defeat and he let out a heavy sigh.

"Alright," he said, frowning and letting his tense muscles relax--a little, at least. He wasn't fond of the idea of staying here. He much preferred the outdoors, and while he didn't mind staying inside for short periods, it was easy for him to grow anxious and claustrophobic. Especially when someone was outright denying him his freedom, as this woman was now, even if it was the sensible thing to do.

"So you just want me to stay here, and...sit around."

Ugh. He had never been good at this healing business! Sitting around waiting for his wounds to mend? Doing nothing? Gods. That was miserable...

wolfie

She was glad he was listening to her now. She knew what she was doing even if she wouldn't admit it. She could tell this wasn't easy for him. The slumped shoulders was a sign of them along with the sigh.

"Let's get you back into the back room and resting again. Don't worry I'll think of something if anyone asks about you. I'm good that way.

"Well that's mainly up to you. You could try your hand at sewing if you really are bored. I could get some books if you want to read. What else would you consider doing to pass the time you are awake and on the mend? I might be able to get items for you," she said not saying how. Her shop was doing good, but not that good.

"There is also talking to me. We could converse about things too if you like. I do have some dresses to make. I can talk and do that at the same time."

Rhindeer

With another sigh, Hatame motioned her closer so he support himself against her shoulder. Which was awkward, because the woman was so short! So mostly, "supporting himself" consisted of laying his hand, gingerly, on her shoulder and trying not to put too much weight on her, otherwise the both of them would go toppling over, no doubt!

"Sewing, huh? To be honest, I'm actually not bad at that," he said with a one-sided shrug. He'd taught himself, for it was a practical skill to have, and he damaged his clothes too much not to know how to mend them.

"I only know a basic stitch, mind you. So I wouldn't trust me with any dresses."