Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Horse, of Course!

Started by visualspice, January 03, 2014, 06:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

At the sound of a snap from up above had Edward gasping as he rared back, a broken limb hanging precariously above his head. And he panted a moment before holding it as he realized...

"Lilly!?"
Had she really climbed so high up into the tree to avoid him? She was up there so high, it was dizzying, even from his position on the ground!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Lilly was in a jam. Edward has spotted her and she didn't have much of anywhere left to go. Plus, she knew now that she was going to get in trouble no matter what happened.

Well, if she was going to get in trouble anyway, there was no point in making it easy for him. Her pride wouldn't have let her, anyway. The only sensible thing to do would be to go back down and let Edward take her home. Even if he hadn't found her, it would be a long walk home on her own without the horse. Plus, her grandmother might be right, it might not be safe to be out after dark. And she definitely wouldn't get home before nightfall on her own two feet. But even if she knew that, there was no way Lilly Gray was going back down, apologizing, and letting Stupid Lord Idiotface take her home.

Even if she didn't have a Plan B.

"Go away!" she shouted, standing on the bow now, holding onto the tree's swaying trunk. Glaring down at Edward made her realize how far away from the ground she was and sent her head spinning a little. "Go away! I don't want your help or your horse or anything to do with you!"

visualspice

Edward winced. His knee was still throbbing and he cautiously got to his feet with a limb. Like Lilly, he scraped his knee pretty good, but after gingerly testing out his weight on it, he stood at his full height and called up to her,

"Lilly, please! I did not mean to make you upset! Please come down here so we can talk!" And then he paused, realizing how dangerous it was for her up there, he then added, "If you want I can take you home! Back to your mother's! Lilly!" He implored. "Please!"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Lilly glared down at Edward. Oh no. She wasn't going to lose this battle! She didn't even know what the stakes were, but she knew she wasn't giving in! Risking her stable grip on the tree, Lilly leaned precariously forward to grab a fist full of acorns.

Then, in the only response Edward would get, she hurled them downward straight at him.

visualspice

Edward's eyes widened when he saw her move, fearing the worst, his hands shot out, as if to catch her, but then suddenly, she was yanking and throwing at him a fist full of acorns, that plopped and scattered along the brnaches on their way down. Gasping, his outraised hands were now held up to guard his face.

"Lilly!?" By Angsar's name, what was she doing!?

kleineklementine

"I told you to go away!" Lilly repeated, but the last two words came out as a half-choked sob as a wave of frustrated and upset emotions broke through her. She shouldn't be up here. She shouldn't have to be up here. He shouldn't be here at all! Her dad should. And that, suddenly, was all she wanted. To fall into her dad's arms, to rest her head against his chest and let him carry her home, like she was still a little girl. Like he was still alive. Without realizing it, Lilly had started crying, but she clung resolutely to the old oak's trunk. She was not climbing down this tree for that man!

visualspice

Edward's gaze had become frantic, taking in the girl and her dangerous position above her. But then he heard it. The sob, a choke- a cry,a nd his own eyes wavered.

"Oh, Lilly.." he whispered. The poor child! And now she was up in that tree all upset! ......
and despite his better judgement to just let her be, for he was not a man to just let a weeping child take in her sadness and be all alone, he moved to climb up there himself.

His knee protested at first, but ignoring the pain, his hands gripped into the rough bark and soon enough, he was reaching the flimsy and precarious top near to her. With one boot n the branch beneath hers, he pushed himself up, being mindful of the layer of leaves and branches that got in the way,a nd pushed them aside as he poked his head up towards her.

"Lilly... please... I'm sorry if I've upset you. Let us climb down from here. You can talk to me, or I can take you back to be with your mother. PLease... it is not safe to cry here in the tree. Let me take you back home on Abigail. Once you're home, I'm sure you'll feel right as rain."

kleineklementine

Lilly's eyes widened in surprise when Edward actually started climbing the tree. He was crazy! What was he doing? She couldn't believe that a grown man was actually coming up the tree after her. The surprise of the situation actually stopped her tears, though her cheeks and eyes were still salty. But she wasn't going to be coaxed down so easily. After all, they hadn't just been sad tears; they'd been angry tears.

Lilly had collected herself by the time Edward neared her but rather than stay and talk to him - much less climb down - she jumped for the next branch up and scurried farther up the tree several more meters. The limbs were bending heavily under even her weight now and Lilly had to hold on tight to brace herself against the swaying branches. When she'd gone far enough and the branches were green and bendy - and weak - enough that she was sure Edward couldn't follow her, she looked angrily back down at him.

"I said go away!"

visualspice

Edward gasped when he saw her climb up further.
"Lily, please!" And a bit of anger and desperation came through in his voice. "That's dangerous! You're up too high! Please come down here at once! Before you fall!"

kleineklementine

"I wouldn't be up here at all if you'd just go away!" Lilly countered.

She had to keep her arms wrapped firmly around the thin trunk of the oak to keep from falling. But still, when she looked down at Edward, she felt the bile rise up in her stomach again and - sighting another cluster of acorns a few feet away, she let go with one arm to grab the acorns. But the force of tugging on the acorns caused her to lose her balance and she fell from her perch with a squeal.

Lilly caught herself a branch or two down, though and, panting from shock as she clung to the branch, she found that the bunch of acorns were clutched in her hand. So she did what she'd meant to do: she threw them at Edward.

visualspice

He wasn't quite sure if he could recount the exact events of what unfolded next. The girl's precarious position had him more than a little on edge, but when the acorns came at him, they only sought to anger him further. Was she so mad she did not realize the danger she was in?

And he was so naive to not realize ... so was he?

For he knew not what happened next except well...
he slipped, and more than once, for an acorn had lodged itself near the branch he was perched and he miss stepped and slipped...
and found himself barely able to catch the branch below him-

But the place was too thin, and when his full weight was placed upon it-
There was a snap, a fall, and most undoubtably a yelp, before Edward went crashing through the tree....

And opened his eyes a moment later as he stared up at the Oak in shock. And in that moment, he was frozen in panic and could not breath, but the second his breath returned to him, he let out a groan as a sharp pain shot up his leg as he clutched onto it from his stiffed position upon the forest floor.

kleineklementine

Oh. No.

Lilly watched what happened open-mouthed and wide-eyed. The girl winced every time Edward hit a branch on his long way down to the forest floor. All of her anger and sadness was gone for now, and so was the color from her face, replaced by fear. What just happened?

"Lord... Lord Draven?" she called down. The bough swayed beneath her as she leaned forward to see if he was okay or even.... alive. "Lord Draven, are you okay?"

A wave of relief hit her when she heard the man groan and Lilly suddenly started climbing down the tree as quickly as she could, even falling once or twice herself, but always catching herself. It felt like it took forever to get down the tree, and once she got down to the lowest branch, she had to jump, landing with an 'oof' on the forest floor. But Lilly picked herself right up and scrambled over to the fallen man.

"Lord Draven?" she asked, her voice a little frantic, and gripped his shoulder, giving it a little shake. "I didn't mean to make you fall! Are you... are you okay? Lord Draven?"

visualspice

The fall had been a dizzying sensation indeed, and despite finding himself groaning in pain, his stomach was almost certainly still in the branches, until another sharp pain of his leg shot up through him and he let out a noise. Damn! Perhaps he shouldn't have tried to move...

Gritting his teeth, he blinked back a few threats of sparkling tears from his eyes and only then did he realize Lilly was down out of the tree,a nd safely beside him.

"Be... Better I fall, than you," he said, trying to smile, but winced through it as pain became him again.

kleineklementine

Lilly just stared at him, white-faced, for several moments. He was even trying to smile now? But she didn't dwell on it. She had to get him somewhere. Or maybe get help. Or... or... something! Because if she didn't...

She was going to be in so. much. trouble.

"Can- can you get, get up?" she asked, still in shock. "Lord Draven?"

Even if she was worried about getting in trouble, even if she still didn't like him, guilty feelings pulled strongly at Lilly. She hadn't meant for anyone to get hurt! Not even him! What had he been thinking, following her up the tree, anyway?

"Should I go get help?"

visualspice

Edward grit his teeth, and at her question, paused for a moment, eyes going distant as he tried to think over an answer to it. Though when he tried to move, he closed his lips to suppress another cry of pain.

"I... I think my leg is pretty bad off," he told her, voice course and gruffy as he winced. "If... if you could bring... bring me Abigail. Maybe... maybe we can make our way back to your mother's..."

For Lilly, as smart as she was, was still too young for him to wish to send her off all alone for help. Maybe if he could at least get them on the horse, he could get Lilly home and...

Just a subtle movement sent another sharp pain through him,a nd this time he did gasp as he gripped at his leg.

"Just.. just be quick on it, Lilly." Because the last thing he wanted to do was to have this leg, if it were broken.. to get worse...

Left untreated...
He didn't want to think about htat right now.

kleineklementine

Lilly nodded, wasting no time before jumping up and running as fast as she could through the forest. She fell once or twice, skinning her knee again, but jumped straight back up and tore towards Abigail. Once she got to the horse, she worked on untying Edward's knot, looking guiltily up at the horse whose master she'd caused to fall from the sky.

"It wasn't my fault," she told the horse defensively, "he shouldn't have followed me up!"

But soon the knot was undone and she started leading the horse through the forest. It took much longer to lead Abigail through the trees than it had taken Lilly on her own, but they made their way as fast as Lilly could manage. Fifteen or twenty minutes later, the pair returned, and Lilly carefully brought the horse around as close to Edward as she could manage.

"Can you pull yourself up?" she asked, still sounding quite scared. "If I help you?"

visualspice

Through sheer determination and will power, Edward pushed past the pain and managed to drag himself onto the horses saddle. Though once seated, he could at least rest his leg up at a somewhat more comfortable angle, but after getting Lilly on with him; he realized how bad this was the second Abigail took off towards Lilly's home.

Each trot shot a pain through him like no other, though he tried to ignore it, to save face for Lilly's sake, the pain was evident in his face. And it seemed like ages before they even returned to the home, but as they arrived, Dahlia's mother in-law was there to greet them at the door, smiling up at them- until she saw Edward's face, and also Lilly's.

"Angsar's sake, what happened!?" she exclaimed, pushing the door open to get a better look at the pair.

"We had a bit of an accident. Lilly is well, but I think my leg has seen better days." And though he  again, forced a smile, the pain was evident in his eyes and the paleness of his skin.

The woman gasped.
"My heavens! Let me fetch Dahlia!" And with haste, she rushed back into the house.

kleineklementine

Helen returned with her daughter-in-law only moments later. Dahlia had, while they were gone, changed into a simple blue-gray dress - nothing that looked like she was trying to impress him, but at least so she’d be properly dressed! - but when she saw the situation outside of the house, she wish she’d left on her work clothes. Her gray eyes went from Lilly to Edward, silently trying to assess the situation. “Dear lord…” she breathed.

Dahlia shook herself from her surprise and she moved quickly over to the horse. “Alright, Lilly, down you come,” she instructed, reaching up to help her daughter off the horse. Once she was on the ground, Dahlia gave Lilly a once-over to make sure she was okay. Edward might have said she was, but as a mother she had to check for herself once she’d heard there was an accident. But Lilly looked shaken more than anything else. Scraped knees and elbows were certainly nothing new for her semi-wild daughter.

“Mom, I…” Lilly croaked, looking like she was about to cry. The truth was, however much she didn’t like Edward, listening to him try to hide his pain the whole way home had her feeling very, very badly.

But Dahlia put a finger to her daughter’s lips to silence her and kissed her quickly on the head. “It’s okay, Lil. Just a moment, okay?”

“Come on,” Helen said, more collected now, “I think together we can help him down.” While Dahlia was inspecting Lilly, she had left and come back with a wooden step stool which she placed now by the horse. Working together and employing the step stool, the two women, small though they were, managed to get Edward off the horse and onto the ground. It was clear from his pain dismounting the horse that Edward shouldn’t - and probably couldn’t - stand on his own, so Dahlia held tightly to him to keep support his weight.

“Lilly, are you okay to take Abigail around to the stables?” Dahlia asked her daughter gently, though strain was evident in her voice. Lilly nodded then, after a moment of staring at the injured Edward, hurried to the horse and took her reins and led the horse guiltily around to the stables. Then Dahlia and Helen, supporting Edward between them, managed to get him in the house and - finally, onto the sofa in the sitting room.

“I’ll go get the doctor,” Helen said, a little breathless from the effort of supporting the man for so long. Dahlia nodded, and Helen gave Edward’s shoulder an encouraging squeeze. “I’ll be back as soon as I can,” she said with a smile, then left the house, leaving Dahlia alone with the battered and bruised Edward.

For several moments, she just stared at him, as though she didn’t believe any of it. Then, snapping out of it, she put a hand to his forehead. She didn’t know why; he was injured, not sick. She moved it down to his shoulder, and knelt down next to him. “Are you… Can I get you something? What- what happened?”

visualspice

The removal of the Lord from his horse was a challenge in itself. Where as he could not put much weight on his leg, it seemed one of his arms was injured too. Though that pain was of little consequence to him, his leg, which must have been bleeding, for his pant leg was thoroughly stained, kept shooting up pains from the broken area each way he turned. But once he was off the horse he felt at least some relief, and into the house he was ushered, sweat slicking his clothing and skin and matting his disheveled hair against his face.

Once settled in, he let out a cry of pain, having put too much weight on the leg than he had intended and clutched on the knee until it somewhat subsided. And with a breathy, forced smile, he looked up at Helen and gave a nod.

"Angsar's name.." he said, giving her a wincing nod. "Thank you."

And then as they were alone,t he room grew quiet- perhaps too quiet as he tried to blink back the sharp tears collecting within his eyes. But then Dahlia's words drew his gaze down to where she knelt.

Edward laugh, this time a more agreeable one as he tossed back his head, tears straining inside his eyes.
"A lemon-soured drink!" he said with a shake of his head, tears now streaming from his eyes as he laughed at the terribleness of the situation, as if he himself did not believe it either. The pain was terrible, but at least, hey, he had lived.

Had he landed in any other way.. it is possible he could have broken his back or neck.

kleineklementine

A lemon-soured drink! The semi-joke brought Dahlia more to her senses and she forced herself to smile at his laughter as she answered, "I'll see what I can do." Her mothering instincts taking over, she unconsciously wiped the tears from his cheek with her free hand, her other one still on his shoulder. She gave it a gentle squeeze, and turned her gaze from Edward's face to assess the damage. His leg looked... bad. Dark blood oozed from beneath his trousers. It'd need to be cleaned.

Dahlia looked back at him with a sympathetic, serious face. "Maybe we can get you something stronger," she said, half-joking herself. "And we'll have to clean you up." She stayed a moment longer, gently rubbing his shoulder in an attempt to comfort him. Then she let out a little exhale. "Okay, I'll be right back, okay? Don't you dare move while I'm gone." As she got to her feet, she leaned over him to kiss him on the forehead, just as she might with one of her children.

Lilly came into the doorway just as Dahlia was leaving the room, her face ashen. "Lilly, are you okay to come give me a hand?" Dahlia asked. Her daughter quickly nodded; she didn't want to be left alone with Edward. Guilt was weighing very heavily on her and the last thing she wanted was to stay alone with him.

The pair returned a few minutes later, Dahlia carrying a mug, towels, and a knife; Lilly carefully carrying a basin of warm water. She set down the basin, careful not to spill too much of the water, then looked wide-eyed at Dahlia.

"Mom," she asked meekly, "can I go wash up my knees? Or do you..."

Dahlia set down the towels next to the basin and pulled Lilly into a hug. "Go ahead, sweetheart. I'll be up once I can."

Lilly didn't need to be told twice. With one glance at Edward, she took off, scurrying out of the room and up the stairs.

Dahlia watched her go, then turned back to Edward. Kneeling down next to him again, she wet one of the towels in the basin. The water was warm, and she put the towel gently to Edward's forehead. She watched him carefully, frowning sympathetically, then reached for the mug - filled with a strong, peated whisky - and handed it to Edward. "Not soured lemon, but it should brace you," she told him. Once he'd taken the mug, she looked back down at his leg. "The doctor should be here soon, but do you want me to try to clean the wound?"