Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Horse, of Course!

Started by visualspice, January 03, 2014, 06:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Edward only smiled at her remarks, remaining quiet and keeping his lips sealed to what actually occurred. If Dahlia were more inclined her pressing, it would not be difficult for Lord Draven to cave, but as it stood- he remained unmoving in giving up any information about what had transpired and lead up to his most unfortunate predicament.

"More spirits?" He gave a breathy laugh. "Are you and he aiming to keep me drunk most of the day? I can't say I can completely disapprove, but I am not exactly a man fond of too much drink."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Dahlia grinned at Edward's remark. "It's been a long time since I've been accused of trying to keep a man drunk!" She managed not to slip in anything about 'in bed'... it was a bit early for jokes like that! And Dahlia had a sneaking suspicion it wouldn't register with Edward anyway. "I won't force it on you, though," she said, her grin widening a little, before she laughed it off. "But if you're in pain, it's the easiest thing for it. You just let me know when you need it."

At that moment, the large, lop-eared rabbit sped into the room, followed shortly by a skinny little ginger cat - another cat! Just when it looked like the rabbit was caught, though, it turned around and charged the cat, and the two animals tore back out of the room., the sound of their chase disappearing down the hall.

"I hope you don't have any trouble with animals," Dahlia said, looking a bit sheepishly from where the rabbit and cat disappeared back up to Edward. "I let the kids keep, er, one or two."

visualspice

Edward gave Dahlia a lop sided grin, one that only grew at the mention of the animals.
"I think the hardest thing will be for me to keep all of their names straight!" he told her with a laugh and nod. "But if it's not too much trouble.." And here he grit his teeth. "I might have to take you up on that offer of spirits. The pain, unfortunately, is still there." And he gave a gentle rub to his leg, which elicited a wince.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

"Oh, I wouldn't worry about that," Dahlia said as she got up and walked to Edward's side, taking the lid off the pot of tea on the tray she'd handed him, "I can't even keep up with how many of them there are, forget the names!" Pulling a smallish bottle out of the pocket of her dress, Dahlia poured out a measure of the clear spirit into the tea, and replaced the lid. "There's... the dog, of course, we already had her, and one of the cats. Then I think now we've added... two more cats, that giant rabbit, a kestrel, a crow, and a duck - though the duck at least stays outside - Lilly keeps that rat and usually a frog or two, there's a hedgehog they keep in the gardens, and I think Lilly and Riley have some mice, but, I'm not sure."

Dahlia gave a bit of a self-conscious laugh. "It probably all seems like a bit of a madhouse. I probably ought to be a bit stricter about it but," she gave a small shrug, looking a bit sheepish again, "I just can't manage to say 'no' to them about it. You know, it was so empty here after..." she paused there, glancing out the window, and gave a little sigh before continuing, "after their father died. It seemed better to keep the house a bit mad, but at least lively."

visualspice

"I see no harm in keeping so many animals. So long as you're all comfortable with it and enjoying your lives, why stress? I don't know how I'd feel about so many animals, though I suppose if Britta were to ask, I'd cave every time!" And he gave a good natured chuckle at that. Though as she went on about her husband, he grew quiet too and nodded in her direction.

"Yes.. it is very difficult to lose your love. When I lost Britta.... well, I don't think I'll ever truly get over that."

kleineklementine

Dahlia did something of a double-take when the letter was delivered to her by the household maid. It wasn't a letter to her, but to Lord Edward Draven, who was still their "house guest" during his prolonged healing after an unfortunate leap from a tree. But it wasn't who the letter was to, it was who the letter was from. Written in a fine script across the envelope was:

To Lord Edward Draven
From Duke Harold Chandos

Huh. Somehow, it seemed, Dahlia hadn't been quite curious enough about her bed-ridden house guest. Though of course Edward was from Highheart, she knew that, and she supposed it'd been clear enough that his family was of higher standing than hers. It wasn't so unbelievable that a duke would send something of a "wishing you a speedy recovery" letter when hearing of an injured member of his duchies nobility.

"We better go pass this along to your father," Dahlia said to the blonde-haired little girl by her side.. She hoisted Britta up, carrying the letter in her other hand.

When she got up to what had become Edward's room, Dahlia knocked once before pushing the door open. In the past handful of weeks, they'd reached a comfort level where formalities were no longer very necessary. She entered the room with Britta in one arm balanced on her hip.

"You got a letter," she said by way of 'hello,' "and you'll never guess who it's from." There was an obvious amusement to Dahlia's voice. She didn't yet know that the joke, as it were, was on her.

visualspice

Edward's eyes lit up at the sight of Britta in Dahlia's arms, and at such a question, he lifted a hand for her.
"Oh? Did Britta try to write me something, did she?" he asked, clearly amused and most proud at such an idea. He had no idea the truth of what she held, for it had been some time since the Duke and he had spoke, so it shouldn't have surprised him. But for now, he could only presume his sweet baby daughter was the culprit, and she smiled and giggled and reached for her daddy when he did the same.

kleineklementine

"No, I don't think Brittany has quite mastered her penmanship," Dahlia replied as she let the little girl down onto her father's bed when she squirmed and reached for him. Dahlia's nose wrinkled in a little smile as she watched the pair of them; their obvious affection for each other always endearing. Then after they had their moment, she handed him the letter. "You better see for yourself."

Dahlia, of course, had no clue what was written in the letter. But she stayed by the bed, watching Edward, half interested in what it said and half in how he would respond to the sender.

visualspice

Edward was all smiles until he glanced down at the letter. But then his smile slowly faded as he looked at the cursive.
"By Angsar's name!" Then he laughed. "The Duke of Highheart?" And he glanced up at Dahlia. "He didn't bring this personally, did he?"
Because he wouldn't put it past that eccentric man if he did!

kleineklementine

Dahlia continued to watch Edward as he looked over the letter and raised her eyebrows when he asked if the Duke had delivered the letter himself. "I shouldn't think so!" she answered. "Does he normally?"

She paused a moment, curious what the letter said. But finally she had to concede that it was bad manners to stay and watch someone read a letter. It wasn't addressed to her after all.

"I'll leave you to it," she told him. "Shall I take Britta, or do you want her here with you for a bit?"

visualspice

Edward blushed a little at the question.
"Well, uh... yes he does, actually. Well, at least for me. But then again,I  live so close to him," he said, giving a shake of his head in hopes to shake off his embarrassment.
But then when Dahlia mentioned she leave, he raised up a hand.
"Oh, no! You don't have to leave on the account of one letter!" he said with a dry, brief laugh. "But perhaps you can hold Britta while I open it? Though I don't suppose," he added sheepishly. "You have a letter opener I could borrow?" He'd hate to seem vulgar and tear through the envelope.

kleineklementine

The Duke of Highheart 'normally delivered letters personally' for Edward Draven?

Dahlia probably made too little attempt to hide her mild surprise and amusement at learning that. Well, at least, outward amusement. Personally bringing by letters? Dahlia had always understood that Edward was higher on the noble ladder, so to say, but hand-delivered letters by a Duke? Dahlia also wasn't completely nïave about Edward's at least boyish affection for her. But a duke. Maybe she'd been mistaken. Dahlia couldn't imagine being courted by anyone with a personal connection to a Duke.

"Oh, of course," she complied, reaching out to pick up Britta again. The little girl tugged gently at one of Dahlia's curls to watch it spring back into place. In retaliation, Dahlia blew on the little girl's face, distracting her attention. Her own returned to Edward when he asked for a letter opener.

"Oh, er..." Dahlia wondered. Surely they did somewhere. "Here, give it to me," she finally said, taking the letter from Edward and opening it with her spare hand in one continuous motion. She held it back out to him. "There you go."

visualspice

Edward blinked at her skilled motion.
"Well, guess there's no need for a letter opener in this house!" he told her with a chuckle and took the letter from her, and pulled it out. "You know, I could use a letter opener like that. And to think, this one is good with children!" he teased, well- flirted AND teased, because, you know, where he was positioned, it seemed like the thing to do you know...
Nice woman, nice house, wonderful company....

And he was sort of somewhat a bachelor- even if he wasn't quite sure he was ready to replace his late wife. At least Britta seemed to adore her, as his daughter giggled until she was bubbling out spit and reaching to pull at the woman's hair. Edward sighed at such a sight. If only his wife had been alive to do that.

kleineklementine

Dahlia's eyebrows raised at Edward's comment about 'being able to use that kind of letter opener.' But there was a hint of a smile on her face, too. "Well, I'm at your disposal while you're here," she said simply, leaving the comment intentionally open ended. After half a moment, though, she added, "We do have the standard kind around here somewhere. Assuming none of the kids have reappropriated it as a dagger or something."

Britta squirmed in Dahlia's arms and Dahlia gave Edward a meaningful look. "Are you ever going to read that? You're just killing Britta here with anticipation Look at her!"

visualspice

Edward's smile went crooked as he observed Dahlia holding his child. Britta noted that smile and she giggled and squirmed sheepishly and tried to reach out for him. And, the distracted daddy that he was, he reached out a hand and let her grab his finger, and encouraged her, cooed at her, before realizing...

"Oh, right.." he cleared his throat and held up the letter. "Suppose I ought to read this?"

And even Britta laughed about that, flapping her arms ecstatically like a bird.

Edward grinned, then looked up coyly to Dahlia.
"Shall I read it out loud?"

He didn't think anything personal would be int he letter anyhow, and he'd probably share with Dahlia the contents of the letter anyway. It was the least he could do, and Harold's letters were always an amusing read. He was probably seeing how the poor Lord was doing. Such a thoughtful Duke, Harold was!

kleineklementine

Dahlia rolled her eyes. "You keep this up for too much longer, and I'm going to snatch that letter away from you and read it myself," she warned.

Britta, thoroughly enjoying being in the middle of things, went from clutching onto Edward's finger to grabbing at the letter herself.

"Or if you're not careful, Britta here will take it. And we all know that the first things babes this age do is shove whatever they get their hands on straight into their mouths. So if you want to read it at all, you better hurry up."

visualspice

Edward laughed and gently tugged the letter away from his child. It crumpled the paper a bit, but he simply brushed it forward to straighten it as he cleared his throat.

"To Edward, Lord of Higsbee,

I have heard the news of your most grave situation! To have an injured limb is most serious! I had to write right away the moment I heard of your condition. I hope the Lord and Lady of the home are taking good care of you. You know how greatly Highheart depends on you!"
And here, Edward paused and found himself shaking his head before he went on to read the rest.

"This letter was sent out with haste but make no mistake..."
And here, Edward's face fell as his eyes moved back and forth, reading the rest in silence.
"Oh no!" and he shook his head into his hand.

"The Duke is on his way here! The letter said he'd leave the day after he sent this letter, meaning he'll probably be arriving this day!"
Because the Duke of Highheart was never very good at calculating his arrival and...
Poor Dahlia! To think- she's suddenly have a Duke to entertain in her home-

ANd the Duke of Highheart, to trump them all!

kleineklementine

The Duke if Highheart was... coming here?

Dahlia's face fell and she stared, wide-eyed, at Edward for a few moments. "He... what?" she repeated dumbly. Then, without asking, sat down on the edge of Edward's bed.

"Oh, I think I need to sit down for a moment. I think I must be running around a bit too much. For a moment," she gave Edward a meaningful look, "I thought you said that the Duke of Highheart was coming here. Today."

visualspice

Edward's face twisted in confusion and worry.

"Oh, but you heard me correctly. It says it right here. You can read it yourself," he went on, even so much as to hold out the letter if she wished to read it herself.

kleineklementine

Again, Dahlia just stared at Edward, her gray eyes wide. She held up a hand to gesture away the letter. She didn't need to read it. She believed Edward. She just didn't really believe what he was saying.

"No. No, that's okay. I believe you. But... The Duke of Highheart. Is coming here. Today." Her tone was flat, her eyes still looking disbelieving at Edward. "Today."

As if to punctuate Dahlia's point, in the hallway outside, a half-grown young lynx barrelled down down the hall, followed closely by the shaggy gray deerhound. When did Lilly bring home a lynx? A moment later, they barrelled by again. This time with the lynx chasing the hound.

"Well. I can't say I've ever had the honor of entertaining a duke..."