Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Knight business [Nova]

Started by Anadwen, January 03, 2014, 03:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

A pair of heavy boots, completely covered in black steel, clinked on stone tiles. An exquisite cape from a thick fabric, darker than the night, bushed behind them. Several chains and strips of leather, as black as everything else on his armour, let out a silent sound every time he moved, and as he walked into the hall, he was followed by clinking of metal.

His armour, much more noble and precious than his ordinary clothes, covered almost all of him, except for his face, and the thick plates of iron would be too heavy to move in freely for anyone but a knight. He retained his elven grace and elegance nonetheless, even though he was moving only slowly, still feeling the misfortune of last battle and Maigrod's unsuccessful flight on his body.

Several other knights were already in the hall, waiting for their council to begin. Athran walked to the closest chair and dropped onto it with loud clinking of the metal plates and chains. His right hand grabbed the finely crafted hilt of his sword, hanging by his side, but kept it in its sheath.

A few bright fires were burning in the hall, their smoke turning under the high ceiling and escaping through the windows. There were countless trophies from hunts and fights, mounted on the walls, of which he many recognized - not one was from a beast slain by his own hands. It was always a relief to see that memories of past battles weren't altogether forgotten, and there was a reminder of the threats, faced in the past. Even though it was covered in several years old dust.

He stretched his legs underneath the table and took the winged helmet off his head, allowing his long hair to slip onto his shoulders. It has grown much since he was here last time, when it hardly reached his shoulders, but now wisps of it hung onto his back and chest.

Oh gods. How long it was since he last stood here... He remembered first entering this great hall, still in his youth, hardly an adult. His young self surely wouldn't be ashamed of the three centuries older Athran, now among the most well-known and skilled knights. He'd never say he'd fight a dragon and tame him only a few years later, too, though...

A long sigh escaped from his chest with a leaving breath. All that was so long ago.

Now, his eyes were sliding from one knight to another, young next to old, tall standing by short. He remembered many of them from the times when they were still just students. Maybe a bit too many. He felt like an antiquity next to those mortals.

Scythe-Nova

The large heavy wooden doors creaked as they swung open slowy as Akibi pushed it open, He took a step in and saw that most of the people had allready showed up and it would not be long until the meeting would start. Unlike normally Akibi was in his formal battle armor and boy was it an heavy armor, It was all plate and thick fur linings with red and gold silk threads woven into the fabric on the tabbard and cape after all Akibi had been the commander once. Many whispered about him when he entered the room and some even greeted him with an respectfull nod, Akibi looked around on the many battle trophies in the room with a nostalgic look, He remembered some of them as ones he himself had taken down after all he was most known for taking down the big creatures employed in wars.

-"..."

He gazed down to his side where Nanako was and gave her a pat on the head along with a slight smile, Nanako had also a different garb today but nothing heavy but instead more like a thick leather armor with black and blue silk threads woven into the armor. Much like Akibi Nanako carried her sword on her waist together with her dagger, Unlike her father however she had no cape but instead a thick blue shawl that was wrapped around her neck and the ends hanging down on her back.

-"There's so many..."

Nanako said softly as she gazed upon the many trophies upon the walls with admiring eyes, Nanako loved to hear the tales of her father battling the monsters he would encounter on the field of battle. Akibi however felt old while looking upon the trophies as some of them was over a hundred years old.

Anadwen

Athran turned his head when he heard the door opening again, and to his surprise, the man that entered finally wasn't that unfamiliar to him. Akibi, a former commander... Almost as old as himself. He stood up from his chair, grabbed his helmet and quickly put it back on. With a few long, confident steps he found himself before him, almost as tall as the one-armed, one-eyed veteran himself.

His sword, now unsheathed, arose to his head in a salute. It seemed heavy to his right arm, still not fully healed, but he kept that to himself and performed his greeting flawlessly as any other time. "Red tail." he said. It was a plain observation without any emotions in his cold voice.

He didn't have any old arguments or sways with Akibi, as far as he remembered. They were both skilled and experienced fighters that sacrificed a lot on the battlefield - flesh and bone, or company and sanity.

His bright eyes flashed towards Nanako for a moment. He didn't remember her... But it was a long time since he last attended one of the meetings. Almost fifteen years have passed.

He was really starting to feel like an ancient artifact - or was half of the knights around still almost children?

Scythe-Nova

Akibi's gaze shifted from the trophies as he felt a presence clos in on him and when he saw the one comming towards him he let a slight smile upon his face as he mirrored Athran's greeting except only with one arm,

-"Deathstorm"

He replied before seathing his blade again before looking around a little before noticing that Athran gave Nanako a look of curiosity, He simply gave Nanako a poke and nodding towards Athran. Nanako who had been looking at the trophies was a bit caught off guard when her father poked her and looked up at him before following his nod towards Athran and smiled at the new man and made a introductory greeting without her sword drawn as she did not know the man.

Nanako:"Nanako, Squire of Knight Akibi"

Akibi:"It has been a long time since we last saw eachother Athran"

Akibi said with the same slight smile as he ruffled Nanako's hair to show her that her greeting was good, Nanako smiled more widely as her father ruffled her hair and looked up at Athran who was much taller than her and she wondered if he also had some cool tales of the past battles.

Anadwen

Athran took off his helmet and saluted Nanako. "Athran Daineth, the Black Sword." he introduced himself. "It is a pleasure to meet you."

His eyes shifted from Nanako back to Akibi. "Indeed, it has. Almost fifteen years... You didn't age a day." It wasn't a flattery, just stating the obvious. "How have you been doing? Still serving, or already retired?"

He had many questions that he was planning to ask, but didn't want to flood Akibi with them. He knew well how annoying it can be, and himself disliked to be asked a hundred things at once. "Did something change since I last stopped by? I hardly remember half of the faces in here... I feel so old, it's almost awkward." He shook his head.

Scythe-Nova

-"I did retire about ten tears ago... Got married... Got back into service about two years ago"

Akibi said looking to the side at the many young faces in the hall, Like Athran he did not know many of them and also like him he did feel like a relic among these young knights. But Akibi did not let it get to him at all he knew that the young needed the old to learn properly, Akibi knew all to well what would happen to inexperienced knights and that was Death.

-"There was a surge of fresh blood taken into knighthood about one year ago... as i see it they're too fresh, too inexperienced..."

He explained as he looked back at Athran with his one eye, It was not normal for Akibi to talk as much as he did but as Athran was an old friend he felt more chatty than usual. He had left the question about him going back into service open if Athran decided to pursue the question, Akibi would answer truthfully if Athran decided to ask. Meanwhile Nanako was lounging around near the two knights and generally behaving childly by walking in a pattern or playing with her hair a bit all the while her tail wagging back and forth.

Anadwen

Athran sighed. "I feel like I'm either going up all time, or knights are going down. Every time I attend these meetings, I just see a slaughter-house." He shook his head and stepped towards one of the chairs nearby, pulling it from the table and slowly sitting down.

"But it's good to hear that you at least had some fun. Hopefully your marriage won't end up like mine." His lips twisted to a sad half-smile. Not every knight had to share the same lonely path, but it appeared that he simply wasn't fit for marriage. "And you have a nice daughter. Consider yourself lucky..."

The light of the sun, entering through one of the windows, glinted on the dark metal as his hands laid the winged helmet onto the table. "I used to have a wife, now I've just a dragon."

Scythe-Nova

-"My wife passed away eight years ago... at least she got to spend some time with Nanako before passing away"

Akibi explained to Athran looking back at Nanako who were poking at an knight armor display a bit away from them both, Akibi did not mourn his wife anymore he had done that over a couple of months after her death and Nanako was too young to understand. Akibi had not qualms about speaking to Athran about this subject since he was an old and good friend.

-"And i feel lucky to still have Nanako..."

He said and gazed towards Nanako with an affectionate gaze one that only a father could have, Nanako was his light in life she was what kept him going after his wife had passed. Nanako came walking back to the two and smiled widely at them both before looking up at Athran with a curious smile.

-"Ser Athran did you and father fight together in the past?"

She asked while looking up at Athran all the while smiling her curious and cute smile, She balanced on the ball of her foot as she looked up at Athran with expectation in her eyes. If Athran had any stories to tell Nanako would want to hear them some time.

Anadwen

A shadow of past memories crossed Athran's face, but he nodded. A few of his adventures were with Akibi, and they weren't the worst. "Fought, hunted, and many other things." he replied silently, and stretched his arms. His bones cracked a little, and the armour clinked, but he didn't pay attention to that.

"I'm sorry for your wife, Akibi." he uttered after a while, his glance shifting towards Nanako once again. "But at least you have Nanako, as you said. I'm alone." he shrugged. Even Anoriel didn't meet him as often as she used to, though she still was in contact with him. She didn't fight his father like him, and remained neutral...

...Although, Athran though she was just indecisive as always. Maigrod was a better company than his family, anyway. An old fool and a flirty sister were of no help to him. Even the company of knights was better to him.

Scythe-Nova

Akibi nodded slightly at Athran when he spoke about his wife, He then looked at Nanako and patted her on the head making her smile widely.

-"Anyhow... Do you know what this meeting is about? I just got back from my hometown when i was called here."

Akibi asked as he shifted his stance to a more relaxed stance and straightened his shoulderplate over his missing arm, Somehow Akibi felt that his old wounds ached more than usual and he had a bad feeling of this day. Nanako on the other hand felt nothing of the sort but then again she was very young and did not have enough experience yet, She resumed to roam around and looking at displays and trophies with interest.

Anadwen

Athran gave him a shrug. "I have no idea. Honestly. Normally, I would not even have come, but I'm currently..." He delved into his hair with his hand. "...Incapable of combat." he groaned. Technically, he could fight, although it would cause him great pain and slow the healing of his wounds, and he rather didn't try.

"Maigrod thought he can maneuvre something, and, well, he was mistaken. Before I realized it, we bashed into the ground." he explained, toying with a chain on his belt. He could still feel the unfortunate events from two weeks ago in his bones.

He stretched his arms. "Don't you have a bit... Bad feeling about this? Everybody's bleak and the air is still and hot like before a storm..." he muttered.

Scythe-Nova

-"Hmmm i thought there was something strange in your stance..."

Akibi said eyeing his friend closely before looking at Nanako who was inspecting the flower on a potted plant in the corner of the room, He looked back at Athran and shrugged sligthly.

-"Yeah it feels like the calm before a storm... almost like before a war..."

He said with an anoyed undertone while he straightened his breastplate, It was allways like this the plate would slip to the side because of his missing arm but he refused to replace his armor for a better one.

Anadwen

The elf shook his head. "I don't have a good feeling about this... Heck, and there isn't even wine!" he moaned. "It may be that you are right, and there is a war beginning." he speculated, bending his head back and staring at the ceiling.

One of the nearby knights gave him a disapproving laugh. "And it may be that you are just paranoid as always, Daineth." the man growled. "Shut your mouth before I shut it for you!" Athran snarled back. The other knight stepped back and turned away.

Athran kept twirling whatever came to his way around his fingers - his long hair, chains, hanging from his belts, or the chain around his neck. He yawned. He felt strangely drained, deprived of all energy.