Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Winter's messenger

Started by Anadwen, January 04, 2014, 06:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

Snowflakes danced in the wind, falling onto Maigrod's scales and Athran's armour. They got caught on the fur, lining his exquisite cape, woven from thick wool, and sled off the iron plates of his armour. Wind was blowing strongly, sweeping the snow into his eyes and onto his hair.

He was a messenger again, taking a letter to some noble in Fallial. As a veteran knight, he had few duties except battle and defense of his homeland, but one of those was delivery of important messages. Dragons were the swiftest of all mounts, racing with the wind itself, their wings like a thunderstorm, and their riders were reliable. Athran enjoyed being sent with messages to nobles and kings - usually, he got fed well and it was a simple task. What he got from it was better than killing for money.

Vast forests appeared on the misty hills beneath, covered in snow. Smoke rose from houses in small villages under them, turning in the fierce wind. A city, encircled by tall walls, appeared before their eyes - that must have been Novastone, Athran's destination. Maigrod slowly begun descending, brisking up his flight towards the fortress amid the city. Wind wailed in Athran's ears as he pressed himself onto Maigrod's shoulders and neck, and pulled the bridles back.

They quickly rushed above the walls of the city and flew over the houses. Surprised villagers turned their heads up in awe, wonder and also fear, most of them seeing a dragon for the first time of their lives. Athran didn't pay attention to their excited faces and pointing hands, instead leading Maigrod towards the courtyard before the house where the nobles, the Aniani, were said to live. It wasn't looking very expensive or big, but it was quite sturdy and simple like the rest of the region. The dragon spread his wide wings, and slowly landed amid the courtyard before the fortress. A cloud of soft snow arose around him, and slowly fell back. Maigrod shook it off his scales, standing tall in his armour of impenetrable charcoal scales, his crimson eyes, shining like fire, sliding from one side of the building to another.

Athran unbuckled the belts that secured him in the saddle and pulled his feet out of the bridles, jumped into the snow beside his mount. There was no one around, and so he grabbed his horn and three times blown into it. Its sound was loud and fierce, like thunder in a raging storm, echoing from the walls. After that he stood still, waiting for someone to come and take his message.

Snow was falling peacefully down, landing on his shoulders and black-haired head.

wolfie

It was a cold day, and she had the fires going. Wood was easy enough to come by and she didn't have to worry too much about what it would cost her. She sighed knowing her husband or father would take care of these matters had they lived. She often missed having a man around to take care of the things she didn't like doing.

She was in the middle of a thought and processing a few things when she heard the horn. She shuddered and grabbed her winter wear. It wasn't something she had heard before, and she wasn't about to freeze to find out what it was that was summoning them, or maybe just her.

She walked outside and stopped short. A dragon was before her. She wondered if it was wise to attend this herself. She didn't want to be eaten, but couldn't show any fear either considering who she was.

"What was that blasted horn for? I could have been napping for all you know," she said walking over to where the man with the horn was. She didn't like the look of this.

"Is there something I can do for you?" She asked curtly. Sure there was a mean looking dragon next to him, but she couldn't cower. She was a noble after all.

Anadwen

Athran raised his right hand to his head in a salute and proceeded to bow deeply to her right after.

"Athran Daineth, knight and warlord of Adela, to your service, my lady. I was sent as a messenger from Adela with a letter." he replied. "Nobody was outside, so I blew the horn. I believe that these concerns are more important than napping." He shook the snow off his shoulders and his hand, covered in heavy plates of black iron, handed her an important looking letter.

"It would be best to take the letter." His ways were not soft, but he got what he wanted - someone to take his letter without letting him wait. He could never stand waiting. His business was far too important to sit and wait for nobles to decide about their actions.

He saw that she looked at Maigrod with fear in her eyes, and smirked. "That's Maigrod, my dragon and war-mount. He won't harm anyone but enemies, and who I tell him to. He doesn't eat maidens, nor noble ladies... Actually, he prefers boars and deer like me." Maigrod let out a low growl, stepping forth towards Athran, and softly poked him into the shoulder with his big head. Athran stroke him, to show there is no reason to fear.

"I don't eat nobles, my lady. Unless they die in battle and I'm allowed to clean up the battlefield." he growled again.

wolfie

Julianna didn't like the look of this at all. Who would be sending her an important letter? It was strange and from Adela. She sighed and took the letter from him opening it on the spot. She wasn't sure what he would say to that.

"He seems a good mount," she said not completely interested in what the dragon would do to her just then. The letter had her attention. It was not good news, and she hated that. At least he could have brought her out into the could for good news.

"It says to send a reply immediately. If you'd like to wait inside that is allowed. It'd be warmer than out her somewhat Maigrod must wait outside though. Hopefully he won't get too cold. It shouldn't be a long reply," she said then heard what the dragon said to her. She nodded her head grateful.

"I see you've guessed who I am then?" She said to the dragon wondering if that was true. It was a question because she wasn't sure. Maigrod had said he didn't eat nobles and she was at that. Her clothing didn't suggest noble born. She looked as poor as the rest of her lands.

Anadwen

Athran gave Maigrod a short glimpse, then turned back to Julianna. "Who else? You don't have the ways of a peasant. It's not all about the outside... But mind telling me your name? I've no idea how to call you, and it's not comfortable to me."

The dragon made a step back and prepared to set off. "I will be hunting in the woods till you get your reply, Athran. I will return soon." he announced, and leaped into the air, hardly even noticing the woman's remark. The elf watched him leave, then nodded silently. "I'd gladly go in. It's far colder than in Adela in here."

He looked down at the woman, his piercing azure eyes checking her from her feet to her head. She didn't seem noble or rich, but behaved with grace, and actually much more noble than him, though he was clothed in expensive furs and finely crafted armour.

It was really cold here, at least when compared to his homeland.

wolfie

"Good thing I'm not trying to fool anyone then. Lady Julianna is what most call me," she said not sure if she had any preferences. Her husband had a name for her, but she wasn't about to share that with anyone. Some things just needed to remain private.

She watched the dragon go glad that they weren't going to try anything. She didn't want a fight on her hands. She knew she was no match for a dragon. She heard what he said and made motion for him to follow her inside. She had nothing to hide, and her daughter was off doing whatever teenage girls did this time of day. She couldn't remember as it had been too long for her, and the times did change.

"Sorry I don't control the weather or it would be warm here more often," she said making somewhat of a joke. She had no magic abilities. Feeling his eyes on her she blushed a little. It had been awhile since anyone had looked her over like that. She wasn't sure she liked it.

"It won't be but a moment for that reply," she said moving over to her desk once they were inside. She noted the fire was going well enough, but would need to be poked shortly.

Anadwen

Athran looked around himself, examining the room with his eyes. He was immediately attracted by the fire, noting that it burned quite faintly... His fingers in gauntlets snapped. The flames grew a little, and their color changed into bright blue. The chamber instantly felt warmer with their searing heat, and he only grinned.

"Take your time. I've nothing to do, I'll wait." he answered, walking around and rattling his heavy gear. His right hand was resting on the hilt of his sword, hanging by his side in its sheath. He felt how the heat was slowly drying both his clothes and long hair, what he was thankful for and secretly hoped that she will take long with the letter - he wished to leave dry, and not drenched in melting snow.

"How do you even survive this winter every year without breaking something? The last time I walked through snow and ice like this, I kept slipping and falling." he wondered, staring out of the window.

wolfie

Julianna had picked up the quill and was about to start in on the reply. It wasn't something she looked forward to. She just didn't have it in her power to grant this. She wondered how her father managed year after year. She didn't have much time to contemplate that as she noted the room became warmer. She had a feeling that was her messenger's doing.

She didn't really hear him as she was trying to find the right words. She wrote down 'Dear sir,' to start and wondered how to say this without offending this person. She hated this part of her job, and wondered if she could appoint someone to take it off her hands. She knew better though as there was no money for such a thing. She sighed and started to word the letter. She almost missed his comments.

"When one lives in it they have plenty of practice with that. Where are you from?" She asked putting the quill back in the ink bottle. She had turned her attention to him instead of finishing the letter. She was a little stuck at the moment any ways. She would have to figure out how to say no without being so blunt. She had to be strategic in case she needed his help in the future.

Anadwen

"Adela." replied Athran, and stopped marching around when he noticed that she put her quill down. "It rarely ever snows there. I was already a knight, and I'd say even older than you, when I first saw snow and ice. And sprained a shoulder on it." he laughed and shrugged.

"But I'm no graceful lady... Eh, even flying on a dragon's back is simpler. But that might be the practice, too. Maybe if you get used to it, it's not as bad - like armour. It's heavy when you start wearing it, but you get used to it." He was beginning to talk more to himself, following his thoughts, rather than speaking to her.

"By the way, what's even in the letter? I was told nothing about it..."

wolfie

"I don't remember travelling there at all. My father mostly handled these things, or my husband after I was married. Older than me? How old are you?" She said making conversation. It was nice just talking to someone and not worrying about who she was.

"Sprained shoulder? I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you weren't injured long," she said being not only polite but a little concerned. She blushed a little hearing the compliment. She didn't get those any more. She listened while he rambled a little. She didn't have that much either in her life. Most got to the point and left.

"Someone wants us to send money, food, and support to them. We are in no position to help though. I am trying to tell them that in the reply. Have to be nice about doing so in case we need to ask for it later on," she said hoping it never came to that.

Anadwen

Athran smirked. "You won't believe if I tell you I'm 347, will you?" He crossed his arms on his chest, and shook his head. "But you don't have to worry about me. Something like a young fool on a frozen lake isn't worth the concern, and I can tell you, I have gone through worse things. Those I'll better keep to myself, though... I doubt the tales of my travels are fit for this occasion. Or any occasion at all." He only appeared to be in the prime of blooming youth at the first side - under the cover of iron was a scarred, old warrior.

He only sighed when he heard of the letter. "As usual. Beg for money and beg for food and soldiers, while their own crops lie untended and knights are running wild through the lands. Accursed nobles." he growled. "I'd like to see them on the battlefield, or give them a sickle and let them cut the wheat."

wolfie

"Really? I wouldn't have guessed that or anywhere close. I bet you could tell me a few things about this world I never knew. That's too bad I bet tales of your travels would be very informative if nothing else," she said liking learning of others. He wasn't willing though and she wasn't one to push someone into talking if they didn't want to. She respected privacy.

"Yes, they tend to do that, and they forget we are poor here. If I didn't know better I'd think I should take offense to that. I'd take a sickle up if it helped my people," she said blushing a little. It was true she would help in any way she could just so her people wouldn't suffer.

She wondered what he would think of her lands and those around Fallial if he stayed long enough to see it. She didn't ask because she wasn't sure she wanted to hear the answer. His clothing alone would feed the hungry here for awhile. She didn't linger on that though not wanting to seem like she was begging and for fear her thoughts could be read.

Anadwen

"I'd tell, but..." Athran sighed. "But I don't want to accidentally say something that may terrify you. My tales are dark. I could tell you of far lands and kingdoms, if you wished, though." He bent his head down, letting his long hair hide the sadness in his eyes. There was only little to speak of except wars, bloodshed and horror, but he wanted to be as nice as possible.

"You sure do care for your people a lot. I admire that - I know I don't have that kind of empathy in me. But if you need it, for the letter, I will explain the reply and tell them how it is here, that there's hardly anything to send, too." he offered. There wasn't much he could help with, but he attempted to at least show that he cares.

"It's a beautiful land, after all."

wolfie

"I understand. I would appreciate anything you could tell," she said being polite. Inside she was a little disappointed. She didn't let that show though. There were other things like this letter and where the next batch of firewood for her people were coming from. She knew she would have to brave the storms to see if there was anyone who knew where they could get some. She thought of using Athran for that, but she couldn't pay him.

"Thank you, yes I do care. They need all the help I can give them, but it isn't much I can do. I appreciate that its hard putting it into words for the letter and sounding polite too," she said grateful for what he was willing to do to help. She wondered if perhaps he was wrong in not having that kind of empathy after all.

"The springs are something wonderful. Its warmer for one. Seeing the flocks on the hills are great too. Long walks by the springs. I remember doing that when I was younger," she said blushing a little realizing she was rambling just a tad.

Anadwen

"There are very few places I have never visited before, and I've fought well about every type of creature you can meet around. From wild beasts to demons..." he shrugged. "Not many are still alive to speak of it, though." Most of his opponents and enemies fell under the blade of his sword. Even now the blood-stained weapon was hanging by his side in its sheath, flawless as new at the first sight.

"I wouldn't bother with being polite... Damn their needs, and I'd shove the letter down their throats in bits." Athran winged off. "But I see your intentions. I'll describe them how it is here in Fallial. That it's cold, and there's not much to give. But I agree, the springs in Serendipity have their charm... In the everlasting blooming youth and life... So fresh and green. Full of life, unspoiled by war." He saw the woods and hills before his eyes, covered in the veils of mist, laying softly on the green leaves. It was long since he last saw them like that, but the memory remained in his mind as if it was yesterday.

wolfie

She listened as he spoke in awe of what he was saying. The places she had been were far and few between. She couldn't do much to fix that either. Money was an issue along with her charges. If she went wandering off who would take care of things here? Who would take her place? She didn't want to think of that.

"I agree with you in this and don't want to be. It's why I'm having trouble writing this. I have to be polite though if I offend them they won't help if I ever need it," she said blushing a little. She hated this part of being Lady of Fallial. She had to be nice when she didn't feel like it.

"Is that where you'd rather be? Some place full of beauty with no war?" She asked not sure she should. She thought she could hear him missing such a place, but she couldn't be sure.

Anadwen

"Without war? I'd die of boredom, my lady. Battle is about the only thing I know... I can't do much else, well, except hunting and singing. But I wouldn't do as a bard." he laughed, but looked down in what could have been shame, if there could be anything seen through the strands of his hair.

He was never good for much but fighting and using weapons - even though he could play the harp well, it never quite matched his skills with a sword. "War's my living. What would I do without it? I can't even tend the crops."

His hand instinctively slipped to the handle of the Black Sword. "Even with smithing and forging it's only weapons and weapons all around."

wolfie

"You sure about that? I could use a good bard," she said teasing just a little. She had a feeling he was made to fight and for that alone. Just like she was made to run this place. She knew some people were great at some things and only so good at others.

"I understand. I couldn't imagine my life any different than what it is now. You are a decent messenger you could always fall back on that," she said trying to give him something. Julianna wasn't sure what else to say. It was better than writing that response.

Anadwen

Athran chuckled. "A decent messenger... Only through the latest century. I tend to lose the letters, you know. Or spend a day searing for someone to give them to!" he admitted with laughter, and sat onto the corner of the table.

He wondered whether this woman had anything to eat - it was time for breakfast and he didn't have a meal since yesterday. However, he said nothing, and instead kept looking around the chamber. "Yes, it really difficult to imagine living in different circumstances." he uttered after a while.

wolfie

"Well you got mine here to me. That is something," she said still at a loss for words. He had chuckled, she liked she could get him to do that.

"That it is. Are you looking for something? I know where everything here is I could make your search easier," she said not having noted the time. It happened from time to time that time would get away from her.