Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Blood tears (Silver)

Started by Anadwen, January 09, 2014, 11:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

It's worthless. Completely worthless like it's always been. And it won't change, it's too late to change.

Why did he waste his time chasing after something that doesn't even exist? Searching for an imaginary treasure? Now he's here, a hopeless, lost existence, and all he has is blood on his hands and regrets in his mind! Nothing he's ever done was good for anything, past heroism is forgotten and its results only temporary! The battles he fought and won, bought the victory by his blood, flesh, and bone, are lost in the flow of time, and their results don't matter.

Athran stared at his reflection in the mirror, his vibrant azure eyes, long black hair and bare chest, white skin covering the muscles. A face so fair, yet a body so scarred... The white lines of scars appeared almost like a map, crossing with each other countless times. His right hand, clenched around the hilt of a long dagger, arose.

He could do it. He could do it and end everything forever... And nobody would ever find anything but a dead elf in an old inn. But was it really the solution? Death in such desperation? He was a warrior. And warriors don't just give up... It would be a shame to even die like this! It would be the definite surrendering to fate, the end of all strife, and all his effort would be for naught! He was trapped here, ever without any hope. Was there any escape from this hell? Hell of his own mind?

"Why... WHY?!" he screamed, banging his fists onto the mirror. The glass broke and its shards skewed into his skin, cutting it open, but he didn't pay any attention to them. "Why can't you just take me on the battlefield where I won't feel nothing, no remorse, no pity for myself? Do I emerge unscathed every time just for you to torment me?" He collapsed onto his knees, covering his eyes with his hands. The tears, streaming from his eyes, mixed with blood and flowed down his face.

How did he even get here? When did he stray from the path to salvation and fell into the dark? Where did he make the wrong turn? He couldn't remember when his life turned into searching for something that he can't find, when it lost all purpose and turned into endless wandering. Was there even anything he could search for, anything worth living for? He had no one left... His sister thought him maddened by bloodshed, his mother rests beneath the ground and his father... His father has forsaken him many years ago.

"No son of his will wage war just for the sake of fey hunger for blood and revenge for what cannot be changed! Elesian! Curse the day you said it! Curse you, and curse me, too, for I am of the same blood!" Following Elesian's path was the last thing he wished - to be like the father that threw his own son out of his door? And still every one thought better of him. Athran could never be as much as his father, no matter how many times he bested him in battle, in deeds, in anything a warrior could achieve. That it's not of deeds, but of pure heart and a kind spirit? Those were only lies... Everything around was lies and illusions, love and compassion was only a disguise for disdaining pity!

No matter how high was the price to pay, he would do anything to find something to aim for. Something to strive for... To find a goal, a reason to live.

"But there's nothing! NOTHING! THERE IS NOTHING IN THE WHOLE VAST WORLD!" It's only ash and barren rock, hidden beneath a veil of enchantment, that makes it seem beautiful. "And I can't even end this, because it won't solve anything!"

Blood tears fell from his eyes, dropping onto the broken shards of glass. His whole body shook in suppressed sighs, clenching his teeth and fists to stop crying like a child.

There was no giving up, not for him, but to cringe in neverending torture was a nightmare that doesn't end with the rising sun.

SilverShadow

Tavi, wandering aimlessly around the inn, was at the other of the hallway from Athran's room when she heard the shout and the crash of the mirror breaking, with long strides she broke into a run, bursting into the room to find an elf sitting alone on the floor among the shards of what must have once been the mirror, but was now just a carpet of glass.

"What happened? Are you okay?" she exclaimed in alarm, forgetting that she had just barged into someone's room unannounced. She could only see his back from the door, not his face, but he was kneeling in all that glass, and even an elf's skin could be cut. Then, remembering herself, she added, "I'm terribly sorry for barging in like that, I was just afraid you might be hurt!" Walking toward him now, she continued, "May I help you? I have a healing potion here..." she fumbled around in the pockets of her tunic, pulling out half a dozen vials of different kinds of potion. No one seeing her collection would ever accuse her of going anywhere unprepared for...well... just about anything.

Circling the elf, she kneeled next to him and saw that he was crying...blood? That couldn't be healthy. She met his eyes and in a soft, kind, gentle voice said, "Sir? May I heal your wounds?" Her eyes were locked on his, wide with concern, and their almost celestial depths held no trace of pity or disdain. Only caring.

Anadwen

Athran stared at the visitor in surprise. He found no words to say, and just swallowed his tears, not making a sound. He hardly heard the woman coming, and didn't pay attention to her words. Only after a while he realized she was actually speaking to him.

"It's... It... It doesn't matter... Nothing matters... Don't worry... Don't worry about me..." he whispered. Even though he was already beginning to feel the shards of glass in his skin, he didn't want help. He never asked for anyone's help... Even when he did, he was either chased away, or betrayed.

He didn't want to suffer any longer... And any contact with a human being was potentially dangerous. The share of hurt he has already taken was enough. But this one didn't seem to want anything bad, at least it didn't seem so...

He breathed in, trying to clean his mind.

"Why did you come in?"

SilverShadow

Relieved that he was speaking, Tavi replied, "Why? Because yelling and giant crashes usually mean someone's hurt. What was I supposed to do, go on about my day without checking? What if you'd been dying in here? I would never have forgiven myself." She moved closer to inspect his cuts. They weren't as bad as she'd feared, but he was an elf after all. And an unfortunately attractive one, at that. Not that she was going to say anything about that aloud, of course!

In response to his first comments, she said, "Nothing matters? Well that's pretty depressing. Also definitively untrue. You, my new friend, are a living being. Therefore, you matter!" She beamed a bright smile at him, as though this statement explained everything. "And it's too late, I'm already worried about you. Now here, have a sip of this." She'd finally found the vial she was looking for and now she held it out to him. "Just a sip now. That's really all it takes with that stuff. I'm Tavi, by the way, and it is a pleasure to meet you, Sir Elf!"

Anadwen

"My name is Athran." he replied. It was just common politeness - nothing more. He didn't see it as polite to not introduce himself if someone did the same, and especially when someone was trying to help. But there was hardly any help for him.

"I'm sorry if I made you worry. I lost control. But if I'd be dying in here, there would be even less to worry about..." he said, grinning a little, but there was no humor in it - it was a twisted, bleak grimace. "I may be living, but my life is worth very little. I'm lost in the dark... What can you do about it? What would happen if I'd die? What would happen if one of the shards would by a lucky accident cause me to bleed out? Nothing. The world would remain the same."

He looked down at the vial and softly pushed it back. "Don't waste it on me. I can take care of myself." Leaning on the wall, he stood up and grabbed the closest shirt, laying by, to wipe the blood off his hands.

SilverShadow

"What would happen if I'd die? Nothing. The world would remain the same."

Tavi tilted her head to one side, studying him. "So change the world." she said softly, simply. "Make it matter. Make it yours, however you want that to be. The simple existence of each living being, no matter how small, changes the balance of this planet. You might not see the effects the way you want to, you might not see them at all, or they might not live up to the lofty expectations of yourself or others, but they are there. Every moment, your very existence changes something for the better, whether you see it or not."

Anadwen

"I don't see them! I never saw them! FOR THREE HUNDRED YEARS I DIDN'T SEE THEM!" he shouted. "I CHANGED NOTHING! I TRIED, I FOUGHT, I STROVE ALL MY LIFE, AND DIDN'T CHANGE A THING!"

His eyes seemed unnaturally wide as he stared at her, and the realization of his harshness reached him only then. He shook his head and hid his face in his hands, still covered with the black shirt. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to shout at you when you're only trying to help." he mumbled. "I... I don't know what I'm doing. I'm behaving like a complete idiot. I'm sorry, Tavi, I'm sorry."

And this was how it ended every time someone tried to help him - he chased them away with his stupid behavior.

How could he change the world? Her words were nice, but not realistic.

SilverShadow

Despite what the depressed elf thought, Tavi was not chased away easily. Or at all, for that matter. Rather than backing up or leaving, the young woman took a step toward him. Without any hesitation or fear, she set a gentle, comforting hand on his arm, careful not to touch any of the scratches. "I would say you're forgiven, except that there's nothing to forgive." Her voice was soft and soothing. Her deep eyes were filled with sympathy and compassion.

"Your life isn't over, Athran. While you may not see the good things you've brought to the world over the last three hundred years, you are young yet. Spend your next three hundred years causing good you can see. Then you won't be able to doubt your worth. But you have to give yourself that chance. If you die now, you'll die never knowing."

Anadwen

"What is there to know? I'm... I'm afraid I'll spend all my life chasing something nonexistent and never amount to anything. I don't know what I'm looking for - and that's what I fear, that I'll lose myself, and end up too deep to stand up. My pride stops me from ending this... I'm a warrior, it would be a shame for me to die like this... But it doesn't stop it from doubting myself. I only brought bloodshed. I... I never did anything good, I feel like I'm only killing what is in my way as I chase the wind, and I fear that I'll break my neck in this mad chase. I don't know if I want to die..." he said silently, staring at the floor.

"I don't want to die, but I don't want to live. Not like this. I can't explain it. And I hate it. There's only me to blame, no one else, though. And there's only me to change something... But... But how?" He suddenly turned his head back towards her, staring into her eyes. The blood on his face has already dried, but it was still there, crimson, a terrifying reminder of what's going through his head.

SilverShadow

Tavi listened closely, her delicate brow furrowed in concentration. "You just said you don't really want to die, and that's the best possible start. If you hate the killing you do, and you fear breaking your neck while chasing the wind, then stop chasing it. Find something else to be your goal to strive for. Something wholesome, something you love. If you don't want to die, and you don't want to live like this, your only alternative is to change how you live, is it not? As for how... Stop chasing the wind. You already know that it brings you only suffering. And when you no longer feel like you have to catch the wind, suddenly you have worlds upon worlds of opportunities. A whole planet of different directions and passions to pursue. Do what you love. A life worth living doesn't happen to you. You have to create it." Throughout the time she was talking, her hand never left his arm, and her eyes never left his handsome, sad face.

Anadwen

"I don't know anything else. I'm a warmachine. All I can do is fight. There's nothing I love... All I know is the battlefield and joy of bloodshed. I was born for it, my father was born for it, the father of my father was born for it. Since I was a child, I was taught to fight... I never really learned to love anything except my sword and those arms that wield it and bring death and destruction to whatever stands in my way. It's the only thing I know, the only thing I love." he glanced down at his arms, and saw her hand.

"I tried to stop chasing after the wind. But then I am stuck, frozen on one place. I don't know what to do. I have no goals... I don't know how to change. I'm so used to this that I'm trapped in the routine... I'm blinded, I don't see any other ways of life... I found a way to live, and it's dark, twisted and bad, but it's the only one I know. I'm afraid of changing it. I don't know any else."

A stream of tears flowed down his face once again, but this time, they were crystal-clear, washing the blood away.

SilverShadow

Going with her gut as she always did, Tavi reached up and lightly brushed away his tears with the back of one hand, never taking her other off his arm. "Shh, easy there. Fear can be overcome, with time. If you want it." her voice was just a soothing whisper. "New things can be learned, love can be grown, passions discovered, purpose created. But you have to give it time." You have to shake off that which binds you and hurts you, and deal with the not knowing for a while. Because it's only by spending a little time in new waters that you can develop new desires, new skills, and a happier way of life. And you can. I believe in you already, and we've only just met."

With a dazzling grin, she added, "If you want, I'll even bring you back to Maestoso and teach you some about potions, if you'd like. You can start your new path with a new friend and a new skill!"

Anadwen

Athran shook his head and smirked. "I'd demolish your potion making place... And I don't really want that." he said. "But there are some other things I can do. I used to play the harp... I think I still have one. If my hands wouldn't be so scratched, I'd play you some."

There indeed was an old harp somewhere in his bags. It was one of the few things he knew except fighting - music.

"Maybe there is something we could teach each other... I used to have apprentices when I was younger, but most of them hardly even learned my name." He sighed. "But that was a long time ago. I used to like it, teaching young warriors... I don't know if I would be still able to do so, though."

SilverShadow

Tavi's eyes light with the excitement of a challenge. "You could teach me! I know a little hand-to-hand, but nothing that would help me much in a real fight. And," she added firmly, with a warm smile, "I would absolutely love to hear you play the harp sometime."

She thought a moment, then said, "Although if you're willing to come with me, we should go to my apartment in Moonspear, instead. Tiriel is mostly made up of gossipy housewives, and you strike me as the type who likes your privacy, am I right?"

Anadwen

"Above anything." he groaned. "But I could teach you a lot... I've been around for a long time. Actually, there's hardly anyone that would be able to best me in one-to-one combat. Sword, spear, scimitars. Two handed weapons just as well as dual wielding and ranged..." he shrugged.

"I don't know if you have ever heard of me, but maybe you've heard of the Black Sword. That's me, you know..." He looked into the corner of his room, where he stashed his blades and armour. "There's hardly anything I can't fight with. I'll need to pull the glass out of myself first, though."

SilverShadow

Tavi laughed at his groan. "I suspected as much! And as for teaching me, if you're willing I would love that. Growing up with 3 older brothers I got pretty good at getting myself out of scrapes, but I would love to learn to use an actual sword. Well, properly, anyway!"

Tavi, aka "The Ears of Maestoso" had, indeed, heard of the Black Sword. "So what you're saying is that when I kick my brothers' butts in our next 'duel', I can brag that I was trained by the Black Sword himself? Sounds like some pretty high bragging rights to me!" She grinned at him.

Then, at his comment about the glass, she said "For the deities' sakes, just take some of this." She once again held the healing potion out to him. "It doesn't take much, and it's really not as expensive as I may or may not lead my customers to believe..." she shot him a glance that was half sheepish, half mischievous.

Anadwen

Athran grabbed the viol. "If you insist. Do I... Drink it or what?" he asked in confusion. It wasn't every day that he would use those - he relied more on how he could treat himself, rather than healers, who tended to have too many questions.

"And yes, with training you receive full bragging rights. I may not be able to teach you how to slay a demon yet, but a bandit or thief, yes. I only hope you have your own sword." he pointed at his weapon, resting in the middle of his bed. "That's not for borrowing. I forged it myself, and the only other pair of hands that held it was a thief. He almost ended badly." He chuckled a little.

The sword was almost half as long as he himself was tall, with an elegant, pointed blade, forged from dark metal, that appeared almost black. It was lighter than steel, but much harder and sharper, hard as a dragon's scales and sharp as a razor. "You'd hurt yourself with it. It's a precious weapon, but extremely dangerous, if you aren't proficient with swords. I don't want you to cut off your fingers."

SilverShadow

"Yeah, just let a couple drops fall into your mouth. Don't worry, it only comes out a drop at a time," Tavi explained. "It'll make your body reject the glass, pushing it to the surface so you can just brush it off. It'll also clean your wounds and speed their healing."

"I bet the thief seriously regretted that decision!" She chuckled as well, thrilled to see him smile. "And I do have my own sword. Sized for me and everything! I've been told I'm quite adept with it...for a woman. But I don't want to be adept for a woman, I want to be adept for a person!"

Anadwen

"Whoever said something like that was unreasonably rude. If you're a warrior, it's only prowess in battle that maters, not the circumstances of your birth. My mother would have shot a man if he said something like that, and so would my sister." Athran winged off.

"And any thief that dares to lay a hand on my belongings will meet his end in flames. This one was clever enough to give it back before I burned him to ashes." His voice was once again hard, but this time with pride, not desperation. He opened the viol and poured a bit of it into his mouth, then handed it back to Tavi. It didn't take long for it to begin working, and he soon begun feeling the glass being pushed out and the wounds closing.

In the meantime, he started preparing to leave. He put on his shirt, and started picking up various parts of armour, scattered around the room. "Since you shouldn't train completely without armour unless you are experienced enough, I will lend you some of my own things. The bracers should fit. I'm not so sure about the rest, though." he uttered.

SilverShadow

Tavi smiled at his spiel about warriorhood. "Your mother and sister are warriors too, then?" she asked, hoping the question wasn't too personal. She took the potion and stuck it back in her pocket, where it clinked against the many other bottles held there. "I have some light leather armor, just nothing fancy or heavy enough for battle."

She leaned forward to inspect the wounds on his arm, which were little more than scratches now. "Your cuts are looking good. Did you come by horse, or did you walk?" She inquired, thinking about how best to get to Moonspear.