Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Blood tears (Silver)

Started by Anadwen, January 09, 2014, 11:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

Athran was struck speechless. How did she know this song? Most mortals wouldn't even understand the words, not sing along. It was, however, a pleasing surprise... If she knew elvish, they could talk without others knowing what they speak about.

His hand arose to her head, and softly stroke her cheek. "That was beautiful. I didn't know you know the language of my youth, but it surprised me wonderfully. Where did you learn?" he asked, speaking softly and silently.

SilverShadow

"My mother is an elf," Tavi explained, "Growing up she insisted all her children be educated in elven culture, arts, and skills as much as human ones. My brothers and my little sister and I all speak old Elvish fluently, play the elvish flute and harp, and are at least a bit familiar with elvish styles of art."

Then she added with a twinkle, "That song is a classic."

Anadwen

If it weren't so dark, it would be clear that Athran blushed a little, but in the dusky night, nothing could be seen. He kissed her fleetly on the cheek, then immediately pulled himself back, as if he regretted it (though he really didn't).

"That's wonderful... I would not have expected that." he smiled. His eyes sled from her face to the lute, and at the memory of his mother, he looked down. "My mother died when I was eight. I don't remember much of her. I was raised by my father, who never had time for me... And learned most things alone. Though, we had a bard in the house, and he taught me how to play the harp, and sing."

SilverShadow

"The bard sounds wonderful," Tavi commented. "I know this is no consolation, but I often wished growing up that my parents didn't have time for me. Especially my mother. She was determined to groom me into an elven noblewoman," she glanced down at her trousers and tunic, "which I obviously wanted no part of! I think she always regretted having children with a human man. I was never quite elf enough for her." This last part she said with a rueful chuckle, thinking of the criticisms her mother used to throw at her. "It didn't help that I was the only daughter in the family until I was 11."

Anadwen

Athran smiled sadly. "I wished that my father would have time for me. He left me to take care of myself, or be raised by other people in the house, when I was 10. The moment when I learned how to fight, and could fire a bow, all care was gone, except for military training. He said that it was only because he was too busy... When I complained about it, he started bringing me to councils and meetings... And I was suddenly expected to be a good son and take the responsibilities that he gave me. He never listened..."

He shook his head, suddenly appearing bitter and sad. "Elesian always said that he loves me and wants to raise me well, but I never felt like he actually meant it." Clenching his fists, he threw his head back, and stared at the dark sky. "His only son. His heir. I wish I wasn't."

SilverShadow

"Heir to what, if you don't mind me asking?" Tavi inquired, wondering that he would reject his father's words of love, rather than clinging to them like most neglected children.

((Sorry for the delay, and the short post, and my general failing at life... x.x))

Anadwen

"Heir to his name, heir to his title..." Athran winged off. "I was supposed to be the next commander of the army, but I refuse to. I'm not him, and I never will be like him." He stared into the distance, avoiding Tavi's glance, and continued speaking.

"I don't need the pretentious love of someone that sees me as a tool that he can push around. The fact that there wasn't a mother doesn't mean that he had the right to try and make his children like himself..."

SilverShadow

"You don't need him at all. Look at all you've accomplished, and are still accomplishing!" Tavi pointed out brightly. "The credit for that goes to you, not to him. He doesn't affect who you are now, that's all in your hands."

Anadwen

He raised a half smile at her words, and softly stroke her cheek. "I know I don't. It still hurts remembering, though..." he replied sadly. "We all crave what we lack, but some things can't be replaced. To some things, there isn't a cure, there isn't help. But that's alright... We can't have everything..."

SilverShadow

"Perhaps not, but that doesn't mean we can't try really damn hard anyway!" Tavi responded with a grin. "And besides, who says we can't have everything? How do you know, until you've tried everything?"

A thoughtful look stole over her graceful features, giving her a rather wise look. "And why not try to cure that which we think can't be cured? What have we to lose, other than the potential for success?"