Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Blood tears (Silver)

Started by Anadwen, January 09, 2014, 11:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

"My mother was a warrior and huntress... But she died when I was eight. My sister is a soldier and guard." he replied as he buckled his belt. The many chains and weapons on it clinked as his hands fastened it. "You don't need too much. Hard leather is enough for training with swords. I will be careful."

For a while, he packed his bags in silence. It was only when he grabbed his sword that he spoke again. "I came on feet. I'm sure I could get a horse, though - or run, if it would be necessary." Athran was able to run for long distances as swiftly as a hart, fleet even in heavy armour. "I'm used to traveling by whatever means... Dragon's back to crawling to the nearest town, I tried it all." he smirked.

SilverShadow

"Crawling?" Tavi laughed. "That sounds painful! I have a horse in the inn's stable. I know the innkeeper, and I'm sure he'd let me borrow a horse if you'd like to ride. I can also send word to a friend to come pick up my horse and take him home, if you'd prefer to walk. It's entirely up to you. I, too, have quite a bit of experience travelling by a variety of means." She paused, then added with a twinkle, "Not crawling, though."

As she spoke, she carefully swept up the broken glass from the floor and dropped it into the waste bin. "We wouldn't want any of the maids getting hurt."

Anadwen

Athran looked down in shame. "I never thought of these things... Smashed bottles, shards of weapons, I simply left the things on their place every time I left an inn. I hardly thought about the people that will come after." Now he was a bit ashamed of his self-centered thinking, focusing only on his own goals.

"Don't try crawling. Unless you've lost too much blood to keep on your feet, there's no need to it - it's slow and painful. But I think I'd rather ride than walk. I'd pay the innkeeper if he'd let me borrow a horse... I still have some money I didn't spend on wine." he explained her. Finally, his bag was packed, both of his scimitars and long bow on his back, and the Black Sword by his side. The dark leather and cloth hid his pale skin, and all that was still visible from it was his face and fingers.

SilverShadow

((Since the innkeeper is an NPC, I'll just run through his part of the dialogue and we can get on with our thread. :P))

"Don't feel bad, most people don't think about such things. That's why I do!" She shot him a big smile. "Ride we shall, then." She lead the way out of the room and down to the lobby, where she got the attention of the desk clerk. "Lilly, may I speak to Marcus for a moment before we leave, please?" The girl at the desk nodded and knocked on the door behind her. A moment later, an older, slightly rotund gentleman emerged. His rosy face lit up when he saw Tavi.

"Tavi, my dear! I trust your stay was good?" his voice was deep, strong, and jovial.

"It was wonderful as always, Marcus, thank you!" Tavi beamed at him. "But I'm afraid I have a favor to ask... We are about to leave for Moonspear, but my friend here doesn't have a horse. Could we perhaps borrow one for the journey?" She gave him a bright, hopeful smile.

"But Tavi, of course!" Turning to Athran, the innkeeper boomed, "Any friend of Tavi's is a friend of mine! Take any horse you like, and just return it to me whenever is convenient for you."

"Thanks, Marcus!" Tavi exclaimed with a little bounce. "I'm sure I'll see you soon. Thank you again for a great stay!"

"My pleasure, dear!"

And with that, Tavi turned toward the door, gesturing Athran to follow her.

Anadwen

Athran followed her, quickly pulling the black hood onto his head, as they headed to the stables. There were many horses inside, but only a few that would be fit for someone like him. After a while he picked a great stallion with steel-grey hide and mane.

"I don't need a saddle or bridle. I'm used to riding without equipment... It's more natural." he explained her silently, as he led the horse out. Before the gates, he jumped onto the horse's back. It whinnied a little, but didn't seem to mind him too much, and actually appeared less nervous under Athran's steady hands on its shoulders.

"Shall we ride?" the elf asked, and smiled a little.

SilverShadow

Tavi had stopped outside the stables and watched as he selected a stallion and lead him out, never once crossing the threshold.

"I'm used to riding without equipment..."

She grinned, a tone of mischief in her voice as she said, "As am I." Ryuu, come to me! She called to her horse in her mind, unheard by Athran. There was the clatter of a latch being clumsily opened, and as she stood there waiting, a tall black stallion trotted out of the barn to greet her, nickering affectionately. She hopped on his back, no saddle, bridle, or halter involved, and rode up to meet Athran. "Your horse's name is Sai, by the way." Her eyes still held that twinkle of amusement.

"Shall we ride?"

Tavi narrowed her eyes playfully at him. "Yes, let's." No sooner had she finished the sentence than Ryuu was off, clearing the gate in one powerful leap.

Anadwen

"Sai..." Athran mumbled, stroking the horse's head. It was calm and obedient, but ready to gallop forth in the moment he'd order him to go. And just then Tavi flashed by on her own steed, almost as black as Athran's clothes.

"Forth! Run swift, Sai!" His voice pierced the silence in a cry, and Sai leaped into the dust, his hooves clapping on the stones. Athran soon reached Tavi, by a simple gesture ordered his mount to slow down, and showed her a wide grin from the shadow of his hood. "It's a good mount, fast and clever. Almost as comfortable to ride as my Maigrod!"

He turned his head back towards the road. The black cape was waving behind him like a flag, and all his gear was clinking and thudding as daggers and chains, concealed within his clothing, jumped up and down on Sai's arched back.

SilverShadow

"Maigrod is your dragon, right? He's almost as famous as the Black Sword himself!" She winked at him in amusement. "I bet the Black Sword can't do this, though!"

In her mind, she reached out to the grey horse. Sai, would you please stop for a moment? And without any cue Athran could see, Sai suddenly stopped. Ryuu turned around and went back to where Sai was standing. Ryuu stopped, facing them, and Tavi looked at Sai. Sai, please take just three steps forward? Sai took three steps and stopped again, looking at Tavi inquisitively.

"Athran, you might want to hold on," she hinted. Then, silently addressing both horses, she said, Alright boys, now let's GO! The horses sprang forward obligingly, matching strides as they broke into a canter. Not wanting to wear them out unnecessarily, Tavi silently encouraged them to go back to a travelling pace, and thanked them for cooperating.

Anadwen

At first, Athran was a tad confused, and it took him a few moments to realize what's going on, but when Sai rushed forth seemingly without any order, his lips twisted into a grin even wider than before. The dark hood sled off the raven-black wisps of his hair, flowing behind him, and he felt the wind on his face.

After Sai begun to slow down, he gently pushed the horse with his heel, and Sai sped up again. His hooves were clapping on the road, and Athran held onto him tightly. He pulled his feet up, and while  his arms were still bent by Sai's neck, he was already squatting.

"Watch this, Tavi!" he shouted at the woman behind him, and let go off Sai. He sprung to his feet, and stood up on the back of his galloping mount with his arms spread. "Run swift, Sai! Run!" He was maintaining his balance so well that he was hardly shaking, standing steadily with the confidence that he had in almost everything.

SilverShadow

Ryuu, at Tavi's request, eagerly leaped after Sai, matching the other horse's pace stride for stride. Then Tavi gasped in surprise and delight as Athran rose to his feet and stood on the back of the galloping steed. He didn't seem wobbly at all, like he was standing on solid ground.

"Wow!" Tavi exclaimed, "That's really impressive! And you should know that Sai likes you already, he was just telling me how worried he is about dropping you!" She giggled at the thought, her laughter ringing over the pounding of hooves against cobble.

Anadwen

Athran almost fell off Sai's back at Tavi's last statement. All he managed to do was to drop back down and stare at her. "You... Talk... To animals?"

Now that was not something usual. Tavi seemed as a usual girl, maybe with a bit of fae blood, but not a mage, or magic-user. But first sight can fool one, and he himself didn't resemble one much... However, it was still an unusual talent.

The fact that he can control fire he kept to himself - she would be surely surprised if he would set his harp on fire while playing it, and he didn't want to spoil that surprise.

SilverShadow

Tavi grinned playfully at him. "But of course! Why do you think Sai kept doing all those strange, impulsive things? I was asking him to! He found it rather amusing, too." She always found it entertaining when she demonstrated her skills and people didn't get it right away. But then, she found a lot of things entertaining.

"Everything speaks. Animals, birds, plants, rocks...you just have to know how to listen. Once I've known you a while, I'll be able to speak silently with you, too. Don't worry, I can't read minds though." she added with a chuckle. She'd lost count of the number of people who'd freaked out about that.

Anadwen

"You would have nightmares for the rest of your life if you'd try to read mine," Athran smirked. "I don't want that. It's safer for you to keep out of my mind!" He shook his head and stroke Sai's head. "I didn't expect such reason, though. It's an unique ability. I am only able to speak to Maigrod, my dragon - other animals remain silent to me, though they listen to my commands."

He shrugged. "I've never been a good listener." The world maybe could speak, but he never had the patience to listen and hear those words. He could set it on fire, though.

"Just by the way, where are we heading?"

SilverShadow

"Yeah, dragons are pretty talkative compared to the rest of the non-humanoid creatures in the world." She chuckled as he spoke of nightmares. "I think that's probably the same for most everyone. People tend to have very jaded minds. Fortunately for me, I can't read them, just talk to them." Like this. she added silently to him, with a grin.

Out loud, she said, "I have an apartment in Selevea, Moonspear province. The people of Moonspear are much less nosy than the people of Tirial, and tend to mind their own business. Those in Tirial, on the other hand, live under the belief that everything is their business!"

Anadwen

Athran shook his head. "No. I mean real nightmares - true horrors. I was dead for three days... Remember?" He raised a brow. Upon hearing her talking to him through their minds, his lips twisted to a smirk. Like this? Am I doing it right?

At her second statement, he nodded. "And that's not something for me. My business is better to be kept out of. They wouldn't like it if they knew it!" he laughed. "Though, it could be interesting to see their faces if they really knew my business." His smirk suddenly appeared bleak and cold.

SilverShadow

Hey, brighten up! It's not like that anymore, remember? You and I, my dear friend, are going to change that! And yes, you did this exactly right! You're a natural! She caught his eyes and gave him a beaming, encouraging smile. The kind of smile that makes people just want to smile back.

Anadwen

Athran laughed. "It's never going to be that different... I have it in me. But... Maybe at least I won't have to kill anything that crosses my road. Eh, I mean, I'll try." he shrugged.

"It isn't one of my best memories, when I fought him and died. But at the same time, it is, since I know I've done a good thing, despite the strife. It's complicate... My whole life has been. I'm doing bad things for a greater good, but fail to see the results." he looked down at his hands in dark gauntlets, only revealing his fingers. "What I see when I look into the mirror is the reaper in a pretty body. I can't help it. I'm proud of myself, but ashamed at the same time..." He sighed.

"What I learned is that there is never peace without a war. And I am willing to sacrifice myself in that war to fight for the peace for those that don't have the strength to march in the front lines."

SilverShadow

"Hey, you haven't killed me yet!" Tavi pointed out with a chuckle. As he went on, she nodded more solemnly. "That's very noble of you, even if you don't see it. Those who can't fight for themselves need someone to fight for them, and it sounds like you've been that person. And that is something to be proud of."

They rode in silence for a moment as she thought about what he'd said. "So what you need, is to find a way to fulfill your noble goal without the nightmares. In a way where you see the honorable man you are in the mirror, rather than the reaper. And I'm willing to help you in any way I can...if you'd like." This last bit she said almost shyly, not sure if he even wanted her help.

Anadwen

"While I'm on the battlefield, it's all honor and renown. The moment I leave it I'm a murderer and someone to fear and avoid." Athran shook his head. "I don't understand people."

He remained silent for a while, watching as the landscape flashed by. Only then he proceeded to speak up again. "I'd appreciate it. It's very kind of you... And not usual. I always though people are... Mean and evil. Cruel. Most of them lack the compassion and understanding for others. I'm no exception, but you..." He smiled a little. "You know these things. Be proud of it, too."

He turned his head towards her and grinned. "I'll teach you how to use a sword. I have a feeling that days when everybody will need it aren't that far."

SilverShadow

Tavi actually found herself blushing a little at his compliment. "I just care about people, that's all," she said with a smile. "There are a lot of mean, cruel people out there, it's true. And there are a lot who aren't actually mean, just stupid and ignorant. But there are a lot of good people too! It's just a matter of finding them, I guess. Plus, I imagine your line of work would lead mostly to the evil ones!"

As he turned to her and grinned, she found herself thinking that he had a really wonderful smile, and she enjoyed seeing it happen a lot. "Thank you, I really appreciate it. I can't imagine a better teacher! And while I want to believe that the world will continue to live in relative peace for a long time to come... I fear you may be right. Peace can only last so long before the world is once again hit with chaos and destruction. Someday I might need to know how to truly fight."