Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Knowledge and Power

Started by DragonSong, February 16, 2019, 09:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Um, yeah. Sure, I can do that."

They were in the village proper by now, and drawing a bit of attention from the locals. Ushering Orcas through the clusters of houses toward the healer was easy enough, and Kiara managed to explain the situation to the robed elder as concisely as she could.

Razor-D-Belphe

"I thank you in advance for your service." Orcus bowed his head to who he could only presume was the healer.

"We've travelled a decent way by dragon to see you. Kiara was kind enough to bring me here. She spoke highly of you and your talent. I put myself in your care."

DragonSong

The healer wasn't much for conversation, but they set to work easily enough, shooing Kiara out of the hut to give them space.

With no other real objective-- she needed to let Kit sleep a while longer-- Kiara started looking for a general store or something where she could get ink and parchment.

Razor-D-Belphe

Orcus was motioned to sit on some facsimile to a hospital table and remove his robes, revealing a white cloth shirt and pants. He removed his shirt as well, throwing it on the crumpled robes and exposing his toned body where a massive purple bruise was blooming on his side.

The healer nodded at this, as if answering a question, then held her palms out a few inches from Orcus's injury. The air around her hands seemed to shimmer and glow a faint white. Orcus could not see this, but he could feel a pressure being exuded. That pressure pushed down on him and rapidly intensified. There was no pain, not exactly, but the pressure felt strange and intrusive. Orcus could feel his broken ribs rearranging into formation and weaving themselves back together, his bleeding organs closing up and the swelling fading. His bruise shrank and then disappeared altogether.

When it was over, Orcus slumped over, suddenly winded and panting. His whole body ached now.

"What is this? My injuries are gone, but I'm still sore?"

At last, the healer spoke. "Of course. I used my energy to accelerate your natural healing process. The effectiveness of the treatment relies on the patient's stamina. After rapidly mending itself, your body is suffering immense exertion. It Will take a full day for you to truly recover."

"I see. Nonetheless, I can't wait any longer. I'm delayed as it is."

The healer had sensed something else, but it was not in her nature to tell her patients when the shadow of death was upon them. It was better not to know.

DragonSong

Kiara spent a bit of time finding what she needed-- and haggling down the price, since it had been a few weeks since she'd had a real, paying job-- but once she had she made her way back to the healer's cottage.

She nudged the door open just in time to see Orcus double over. Her eyes widened, but she hung back until the healer seemed to be finished before hurrying forward. She laid a hand carefully on his shoulder, clearing her throat just before she did to alert him to her presence.

"I've got pen and parchment," she told him, sitting carefully at his side. "How're you feeling?"

Razor-D-Belphe

"Ugh, like I've been run over by a mammoth, but I'll endure. You brought my supplies?"

"Charlotte will want this update. I -"

Orcus went silent as his body stiffened. Then, he snatched the quill. His hand went flying across the paper so quickly as to be a blur. His arm jerked around hard enough to pull the rest of his body in whatever direction it went.

When at last the letter was completed, Orcus tumbled off of the table, unconscious.

The contents of the letter read as followed:

"The Crescent Moon will rise on the night of harvest.
The bonds will become as chains
The deep red will corrode
At last the chains will break come harvest
When the reaper has his due
Then the wheat will rest in peace eternal"

DragonSong

"Holy--!"

Kiara leaped for him, catching him before his head hit the floor. The letter fluttered to the ground and she looked it over quickly, her eyes going wider.

What in all hells?!

"Orcus? Hey, Orcus!" She shook him slightly, pressing two fingers against his pulse.

Razor-D-Belphe

Orcus slowly stirred.
"Huh... What happened?"

He had a splitting headache now, in addition to the aches all over his body.

"Kiara? What's going? Did something happen to me just now?"

DragonSong

"What happened?" She shook her head, trying to help him into an upright position. "You tell me. You just sorta...had this fit or something, and you-- you wrote...this thing."

Kiara grabbed up the letter and read it to him.

Razor-D-Belphe

"I... wrote this...?" Orcus asked. "I... can't have... I'm blind, how could I have written anything? Never mind. More importantly, what's it supposed to mean?"

Orcus recited the prophecy.
"The Crescent Moon. So, something will happen come the Crescent Moon. The bonds become chains- binding people together. I don't know what the 'deep red' means. The chains break under the Crescent Moon, and the reaper - I'd assume Death - claims someone, and they rest forever." Orcus paused.

"Could this prophecy refer to us? If so, is it changeable?"

He looked over his shoulder again, his unseeing eyes lined up with the distance outside where he and Kiara had been when he had sensed that presence.

He spoke again to Kiara. "What do you make of this? Does this mean it's dangerous for us to meet?"

DragonSong

Kiara shook her head helplessly. "I have no idea," she sighed. "Really, I don't. I've seen my share of strange shit in my lifetime, but..."

She huffed and leaned back on her heels, shrugging. "I dunno. What-- what do we do about it?"

Razor-D-Belphe

"Hmm" Orcus held his chin in deep thought. "In any case, I need to return to Charlotte now that I've healed, and repay my debt. She may know what to do about the prophecy. There is another witch, supposedly, an acquaintance of Charlotte's, who is said to have the power to see people's fates directly. If Charlotte cannot help me, I will seek her associate out."

Orcus turned to Kiara. "Since you may be involved, perhaps you should come as well. Otherwise, I will meet you at a designated time and place of your choosing with an update. It's up to you."

DragonSong

"Oh fuck that, I'm coming with you," Kiara responded bluntly. If he hadn't suggested it, she certainly would have.

"Fucking curses and prophecies and magic bullshit," she grumbled to herself as she got to her feet, then reached down to help him up. "C'mon, let's...I dunno, get something to eat. Kit still needs a few more hours of rest but then we can be on our way."

Razor-D-Belphe

"Very well." Orcus accepted the hand Kiara offered. "Your pick of eatery then. I'm not overly familiar with this region."

In the light of the healer's lanterns, Orcus's face seemed slightly haggard, drawn thin. Whether it was the curse, his karmic debt to Charlotte, exertion from his automatic writing, or all three was impossible to tell.

DragonSong

"Well I dunno the town that well, but I'm sure we'll find something," Kiara murmured as she drew Orcus's arm around her shoulder and set off, giving a nod toward the healer as she did.

Out on the main street through the village, she glanced around, hoping something might jump out at her as a destination.

Razor-D-Belphe

A small inn popped into view, a menu of items posted to its side.

"I sense a great many people congregating to out left. Are we in range of food at the moment?" Orcus asked.

DragonSong

Kiara chuckled a bit. "Yeah, just off this main street. C'mon, what are you in the mood for?"

Razor-D-Belphe

"Food." Orcus said, chuckling. "In all seriousness, I'm fine with whatever they specialize in here."

They entered the crowded restaurant and were ushered into a booth. Orcus deferred to Kiara to decide, opting not to have her read each menu item to him.

"We have to get to Northoak. That's where Charlotte's Shop is. Do you know the way?"

DragonSong

"I'm sure we'll manage," Kiara responded with a shrug, catching a serving lad's attention and holding up two fingers, indicating they'd take whatever was hot. "Traveling dragonback has quite a few advantages-- namely, we can go as the crow flies."