Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Seeing in the Dark

Started by visualspice, January 30, 2014, 11:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

When Igna came down, she found herself strangely hungry. That's when she realized it must've been days since she'd eaten. Glancing around, she found an empty table, ordered herself a bowl of soup and bread, and a mug of beer, and once she was served it all, she began to dip the stale bread into the soup as she began to ponder away the events of the day.  However, something caught her attention as she began to listen into the men in the place-

"Yeah, spiders- really large aggressive ones. I ain't never seen so many larger spiders. Took me a while to stop the one beneath my boot- cause it was just as big as it it was, but I swear, twice as strong as any spider I've met."

"Maybe there was a nest nearby. These island house a lot of unique creatures, and even us as natives aren't even aware of them all."

Spiders? Large spiders? She began to wonder, idly- if the spider she had killed last night was in any connection to it. Thinking it over, she went back to her soup- but dropped her piece of bread into the moment she heard-

"Yeah, and I found this strange black rock. Wonder if it's volcanic?"

And that must've been the weird sensation she had felt.
There was another stone nearby- though this sensation, this pull was decidedly different than the rest. So she grew quiet, ignoring the fact her entire piece of bread had gone soggy, and continued to listen in to what the men had to say.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Alegretto

Darjak finished the meal put in front of him quickly, it wasn't a lot of food for a hungry dwarf, but he decided against ordering more, better to conserve his coin.

He stood up from his table, intending to leave the tavern, but he overheard a couple of patrons talking. They were saying something about spiders, but that wasn't what caught Darjak's attention. H focused on the word: volcanic. Was there a volcano on this island? The though actively excited him, volcanoes often meant sulfur, and other interesting materials...

He had to find out more. He walked over to the table where the two men had been talking and tapped one of them on the shoulder. "If you'll be excusin' me, I thought I heard someone over here talking about a volcanic rock? Is there a volcano or somethin' on this island cause I hadn't heard of one?"

visualspice

The familiar voice of Darjak was not lost on her when he interjected, and she held back, observing in silence from where she sat as they men conversed. Apparently there were volcanoes, volcanoes and spiders, but what concerned the woman the most were the spiders- and the speak of a black rock. To her, that only meant one thing...
A shadow seed.
And she was not about to let the lead on one simply go. So she kept a watchful gaze upon the group, but said nothing, nor did she attempt to interject her own self there. No, it was best to be patience, she realized. Perhaps these men could inadvertently lead her to where the rest of the seed, or seeds, were.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Alegretto

Darjak's excitement was clear, and it just as clearly upset the too Yoreiqi men to have their conversation interrupted by a foreigner. "And what business is it of yours? Dwarf." one of them spoke. He said the last word like an insult, sneering as he did so.

Darjak's face darkened, and his voice got very low. Now, normally, Darjak is very mild-mannered, but several factors were wearing on the Dwarf and stressing him out. So he got a little angry. "I'm making it my business, right here, right now," he spoke softly to the pair, "and let me tell you I have had the worse day and I am not in the mood to be taking crap from a couple of backwards fisherman."

Both men stood up with red faces and raised fists, and Darjak smiled toothily. "So I'll have to beat it out of you, fine then, who's first?"

visualspice

The men wouldn't get a chance to get into a scuffle, for a sack of coins suddenly fell onto the table. The men's eyes went up to the young man swathed in black, looking pissed, but also confused.

"Money to learn more about this rock."
The men exchanged looks before staring at Iyla.

"And what is it to you? Why pay money to learn about something so-"

"I'll double it if you can show me what you mean."

ANd at that, the men grew quiet.

Alegretto

Darjak watched with surprise as the man in black made another appearance. It was all the Dwarf could do to not shout: you're alive!

He honestly didn't think that he'd see his odd ally again, and he was relieved that the fellow was alright. It didn't even once cross his mind that the man abandoned him in the cave, that just wasn't the way the Dwarf thought of things.

While Darjak was taking stock of the man in black, the two Thanati men were doing the same. One of them turned to his friend and spoke in Thanati so the foreigners couldn't understand. "Skinny looking fellow eh? If he has that much gold to throw away about a rock, I wonder how much more he has?"

visualspice

It was then Iyla's eyes cut into the pair of them like sharp rubies.
"I'll half the offer if you keep this up," she hissed in Thanati. The talk was evidently accented, and a bit garbled, but she knew the language well enough.

The pair of men stared at her, a bit dumbfoundedly before they grew sheepish.

"Now.." Iyla took a seat near to them. "About that rock..."

Alegretto

The two looked away awkwardly for a few second before one of them spoke up. "There's a valley near here with a river running through it. Fresh-water fishing's good there. Anyway, I was setting up my pole when a big ol' spider popped up from some hole in the ground. I smashed the thing up good with my boot, and when I took my foot away, the spider was gone. There was just this weird black rock."

visualspice

Iyla gave a snort. These men had obviously been drunk. But then she thought back to the large spider she had killed in the cave and gave a thoughtful frown.
"Can you take me to this valley?" she asked, looking at the two men. The two exchanged glances again before they gave a nod.

"Y-yeah, sure we can, but can we at least finish our drinks first?"

Iyla slammed more coin onto the table.

"No," she said, adjusting the belt on her pants. "Let's do this now."

Alegretto

Darjak frowned. "Hey then, I haven't heard about that volcano you were talking 'bout yet." One of the men, clearly distracted by the coins on the table, answered offhandedly, "Oh it's right near the valley we were talking about." as he stood up and grabbed his things.

"Alright then," the dwarf said to no one in particular. "I guess I'll tag along since we're going to the same place," and so saying Darjak went to collect his things from his table.

visualspice

To say she was pleased was a grave understatement. But anxious she was, though hid it well on her placid expression as the men, still half drunk, lead the way. She said nothing, of course, the two men in front bantering from time to time as they argued over who'd get what bag of gold, and if it were not for the black rock she craved...
She was half tempted to slit their throats. But those dark thoughts she tried to suppress...
But it was so difficult when she could sense, which each step, that what she craved was so near.

Alegretto

Collecting his materials as he was, Darjak almost didn't notice his guides leaving. When the trio stood up and walked out, the dwarf had to rush to catch up. He followed behind them, uncharacteristically silent. There was a tension over the group that even the tactless dwarf could notice.

visualspice

As they neared a pathway that lead towards the volcano, Iyla noticed soft puffs of smoke escaping from the top of it. Curious, she stared at it- never having seen a mountain smoke quite like that before. And that's when their 'guides' came to a stop.

"The mountain... it seems she awakens. We should go no further."

At that, Iyla grabbed the man's wrist suddenly with such a force, he let out a sharp cry of pain.

"You WILL take me there. Smoking mountain or not, I paid you good money for this."

Alegretto

The two men eyed each other nervously. The crazy foreigner in black or the volcano, which was more dangerous?

And while they considered whether or not to make a break for it, Darjak finally caught up. "Geez," the dwarf huffed, "you humans and your long legs. Why'd you stop, were you waiting for me?"

One of the men shook his head silently and instead pointed towards the smoking mountain. "Oh," Darjak said with realization. "That there's a pretty good reason to stop ya..."

visualspice

Iyla cut a glare at the men, ignoring the dwarf as she took a step forward.

"I've already paid you for your services," she pressed, her voice a growl.

And then she saw the one man throw the money at her feet.

"I lost one son to the volcano, I'm not about to let it get me, too. My wife would never forgive me, even in death."

Iyla's glare already hardened, and when the second man went on saying, "Oh Fucking Gods, the lot of you," and threw his money at Iyla's feet as well- that was enough to send her over the edge as she gave the man a good fist to his face.

The first man was shocked and caught the other man as he fell backwards from the blow.

"Hey, lad, take it easy now! We don't want any trouble!"

Iyla was furious now as she growled at the pair.

"TAKE ME TO THE MOUNTAIN AT ONCE!"

The men couldn't believe it, ad both were shaking their heads.

"Just follow the Foot Root Path. If you keep with it, it'll end at Rattler's Mill. Go eastward up the mountain from there and you'll eventually come out to a series of steaming springs. The rocks.. the black rocks were in a cave near there."

And Iyla didn't wait for them to finish their story before she gave an agressive step their way.
"You'd better not be lying."
And she stormed off down the path, allowing the subtle tingling force that drew her towards the stones guide her. After all, what good were mortal men when she was trying to break an immortal affair?

Alegretto

Darjak watched with surprise as the fellow in black blew up like, well, a volcano at the two Thanti men. He'd seen the man angry, dismissive, and irritable, but this was a step beyond any of those. The fellow seemed fully enraged now.

As he stalked off, Darjak had to put serious consideration into following him. Was it really worth wandering into a volcano with some fellow he barely knew?

While he was considering, the two Thanati men made their exit and Darjak suddenly found himself alone on the mountainside. Indeciion plagued him for a moment longer before he decided to follow the quickly retreating figure of the man in black. He'd come this far in his company, might as well keep going. In Darjak's experience, gut decisions were the best ones, and his was telling him to follow along.

visualspice

Iyla followed their directions to the 't'. ANd lucky for them, when she did, she felt the pull towards the shadow stone growing stronger. And by the time she made it to the steaming pools of water, her body felt just as heated as the pools themselves. 

Taking a look around, she began to seek out the cave in question, but it was difficult. It seemed as if the pull for the stone was taking her in two directions, and one felt as if it were to lead her past the cave and up the mountain pass. And though the ground rumbled beneath her feet, she found herself taking that path towards the puffing mountain top.

Alegretto

The fellow in black acted as if something were pulling him, though Darjak had no idea as to what it could be. Soon though, the dwarf felt something pulling him further up the track. Darjak sniffed the air happily before muttering under his breath "Sulfur."

The smell was coming from a cave off the pass. Without even noticing where his companion was going, the dwarf wandered over to the cave. Inside, he found walls lined with yellow crystals. With a gleeful gleam in his eye, Darjak took one of the crystals off the wall with a heft smash from his poker. The chunk fell, the dwarf pulled out his kit so he could start running some tests on the minerals effectiveness in his recipe. As he knelt down, he noticed some odd black stones on the floor. There was only a couple, but something about him struck him as odd in the cavern. The dwarf picked them up absentmindedly, figuring he could check them out later, focusing more on the sulfur and recovering them only as an afterthought.

visualspice

She felt she couldn't get out of this winding cave fast enough. Though part of her drew comfort and power from the dark, another part of her, the part not yet turned feral, still yearned for the freedom the full power this seed could bring her closer to-

So onward she pressed, when another angry rumble from the mountain made her spill over, and rocks and spikes from above began to fall.

Tags: