Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Long, Cold Road

Started by visualspice, February 11, 2014, 09:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Calent peered at the man, and though both were haggard, and Calent, evidently having something wrong wtih him as he did not move, the only thing that came off his tongue was, "There was no one here when we had come."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"We?"

Kerr's smile was close-lipped as he regarded the other man across the flickering flames of the fire.  The light played with both of their features as they sat across from one another.

"Forgive me, but I didn't escape the storm to be murdered in my sleep.  The North has been thrown into chaos, and chaos attracts dangerous men."

Such as himself.  However, he had no interest in killing a sick man...particularly when it would not help his cause.  If, however, the sick man and his partners made the first move...then the truce was over.

visualspice

"There was one other. Not one of my men, but a woman on her own." he paused, observing the man before his face hardened. "You have not seen her?"
Or had he disposed of her? Calent was not a man to over look any sort of detail, and he carefully studied the man's features in silent judgement.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

A woman?  A woman should not be too much trouble, should she suddenly appear...

Turning his attention to the fire, he rubbed his hands together to work out some of the knots that had formed in the bitter cold outside.

"I thought you had the look of a noble about you.  You certainly are no Northman.  What are you doing here?"

visualspice

Calent's expression went bitter, green eyes cutting into him.
"I came traveling North with a caravan." The man did not need to know much more than that, but he had an inkling he'd ask more about it anyway.

Ivory

Kerr at last must have decided it was safe enough to sit, for he settled down near the fire with a barely-suppressed chill.  "I'm sorry for your loss."

Because, one might assume that if he were here alone, it meant things had not ended well for his caravan...be it the storm or something else...

"You look as though you've got a fever."  Rising, he began to investigate the small house.  He still felt a little stiff in his limbs, but it would be better to walk it out than let it stiffen up further by crouching beside the fire.  "I'm no doctor, but I'll see what I can do."

visualspice

Calent cut a glare the other man's way. He wasn't sure what it was about this man, but he felt testy and so he replied, curtly, "No. The Fever will break now that I am out of the weather." And he closed his eyes, sighing. "But thank you for your concern." Besides, what else could the man do for him anyway? They were in a cabin without any supplies. Unless he were some herbalist and carried a pouch of dried remedy, that of which, he doubted. But he had been surprised before...

Ivory

Stubborn fool, Kerr thought with a roll of his eyes.  Rather than say as much, he set a tin cup of snow down to melt beside the fire, then scooted the freshly-melted snow closer to the sick man.  It wasn't kindness that made him want to see the man recover so much as it was an instinct that the man was more important...or could be.  And Kerr was a man who loathed to give up an opportunity.

"You should stay warm," he added as a set of blankets were set down beside him as well.  Another blanket was soon strung across the door in an effort to protect them from the draft.  The fact the door was barely holding itself together had opened up a rather large crack through which freezing air was blowing...and a bit of snow, too.

visualspice

Seeing how the man was not reaching for a knife or some means to poison him, the shivering man nodded at his suggestions, and moved rigid hands in attempts to layer himself in the offered blankets. Though when a strong gust of wind nearly blew the door open, Calent attempted to rise, believing he might be of some assistance and seeming to be oh so ignorant of his delicate state.

Ivory

Kerr was busy fighting with the door, his senses dulled by his concentration and the whistle of the wind as he steadily forced the door closed.  It wasn't until Calent was on his feet that he caught the movement out of the corner of his eye.

"You shouldn't over-exert yourself," he muttered as he pushed the door shut with all of his might.  In truth, it did look as though he could use a hand -- but, eventually, he'd get this thing shut.  Did they really have to break down the door to get inside, though?

visualspice

Calent stared at him with a long and tired face, and once the door was secure, instead of moving to sit, he glanced around the room.
"I need to rest, but I also need to move. It is too confining in here. Perhaps I shall pace a bit to get the blood flowing."

Ivory

"Do as you like," Kerr answered shortly as he settled down in front of the fire.  "But, as I said, I am no doctor.  If you make yourself any sicker, I don't think I'll be able to do much but carve your name on the door of your tomb when I go."

Nor did he have the patience to tend to the sick...

"Out of curiosity, what name would that be?"

visualspice

"Allarrick," he said, firmly. "Grand Duke Calent Allarrick." And not much would need to be said in proof of it, for he wore the banners and badges of his status clearly across his form.

Ivory

It was rare that Kerr was caught off-guard -- but this was certainly one of those times.  He found himself staring at the other man for a moment.  Of all the people had had presumed this might be, the Grand Duke himself never made it on that list...  It was certainly an interesting opportunity...

"Kerr," he said at length, reaching out a hand in greeting.  "Mikko Kerr.  I hadn't expected to find the Grand Duke himself here..."

visualspice

Despite himself, despite the situation, he saw the man's genuine surprise and cracked a small smile.
"Neither did I. I... had attentions to deal with in the North. Hellvion castle is... or was... only a day or so ride from where we had been perched on the mountain pass. The weather... caught us quite by surprise. Though suffice to say, we had hoped it would hold off until we were well within Hellvion proper. A... foolish act to be sure. But the Duke and Duchess had called upon me, and I could not deny a Duchy in need."

Ivory

"Indeed," he agreed grimly.  It was a foolish thing to do -- particularly for a man liked as little as the Grand Duke.  "You're lucky I am who I am.  There's a fair chance you would be killed on sight by some of the people in this area."

And, once upon a time, by Kerr himself...  Fortunately for him, the Grand Duke was more useful alive at present.

visualspice

"Yes," Calent said with a careful sigh, but also a sight that told of the tiresome trail he walked. "It is one of the reasons I have come to Hellvion. While there is peace in the Northern half, by the southern boarder it seems there are a lot of unruly cities with unhappy citizens causing problems for the Hellvion military. I promised to come post haste. Duchess Melora would have nothing less."

Ivory

Kerr nodded slightly.  Yes, he supposed he knew quite a bit about that...

"Were you bringing relief troops?"  It was hard to imagine an entire army had been decimated by the weather...as bad as it was...  Still, he'd seen worse disasters, he supposed.

visualspice

"No," the Grand Duke shook his head. "It was to devise a plan of action and to figure out where aid could be best used if more troops were brought into Hellvion. It seems my letters were not enough when I made suggestions along with some of my top Generals. It seemed she wanted visual confirmation of my... concern."

Ivory

"I'm not surprised."  As he spoke, he worked his pipe and tobacco out of the pocket where he had stowed them, taking a moment to open up the tin for a pinch of the stuff before offering the tin to Calent.  "It seems she is making a point by dragging you away from home at such a time.  I've no doubt she's still offended with your choice in bride."  That was the rumor, at least.