Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Long, Cold Road

Started by visualspice, February 11, 2014, 09:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Calent shook his head at the offering, raising a hand.
"If I were to believe every rumor, Connlaoth would be in a most sorry state indeed."
And studying the man a moment, he frowned.
"What brings you out in such weather? Even the mages seemed to have cease because of it."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Murder and mayhem, mostly...

"Exactly," he answered with a handsome grin that looked somehow shark-like.  "It seems I've made an enemy of a certain mage, who is determined to have my head.  I was hoping the storm would slow him down and give me some room to breathe."

visualspice

Calent scoffed.
"Even if weather like this a mage becomes as ruthless as a dog." He shook his head. "They have no scruples." Though he frowned and looked the man over. "Are you a man from the military?" He could only hope, it would be nice to get an update from this side of the land. Melora's words only told him so much- and she rarely revealed updates unless in person. It was... terribly trying, and after an event like this....

Well, he might have to reconsider any future endeavors in the duchy.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Ruthless?  Indeed.

Kerr's grin seemed hardly dampened by their topic of conversation as he finally lit his pipe.  He puffed at it a few times before answering the Grand Duke.

"Once upon a time.  I've become a bit of a mercenary these last few years.  I tend to wander, you see, which means I call no duchy my home...and, therefore, no lord may call on me."

visualspice

He couldn't have known that, his little bit of information helped cement the seed of conscription. Yes.. men like this, those who believe in the cause, she not be wasted. Connlaoth needed every bit of it's valuable resources. It was definitely something he'd have to consider come his return.

"And when you were in the military, what Duke did you serve?"

Ivory

"I'm from Wulfbauer originally," the man answered honestly -- though, of course, Calent could not know that.  "Shame about the Carwicks.  I never met any of them personally -- no social standing to speak of -- but they were a decent family by all accounts."  He blew out a ring of smoke, and it wavered unsteadily as it drifted upwards towards the ceiling.

visualspice

Calent gave a nod.
"It was unfortunate indeed. That duchy, I dare say, has seen better times."

Ivory

"It certainly has.  That seems to be the case with your home duchy as well."

The news of the terrible flood had spread quickly throughout all of Connlaoth...as well as the rumors involving magic...  It was an interesting scenario, to say the least.  Some had even ventured to claim the Shrouded Swordsman and Masked Mordecai had had a hand in the destruction themselves.

"I'm afraid my news it a bit outdated.  Hazards of the road and all.  How are the repairs faring?  Were they able to repair the harbor wall before the winter set in?"

visualspice

Calent grew silent a while at the thought, before answering, evenly. "Yes. Though it took more resources from the military than I'd like, but the Duchy could not be left in such a state."

Ivory

Kerr nodded slightly, looking serene and sage as he puffed on his pipe.  "That must have been a hard decision to make.  Knowing what to sacrifice and when you must...  That's something to be respected."  He bowed his head slightly, as a gesture of respect.

"I'll get you to Hellvion once this storm clears up.  You've wandered pretty far to the west."

visualspice

Calent peered up at him carefully.
"My men.. they were on the mountain pass. I... had an unfortunate fall when I wondered off foolishly on my own. As a result..." he gestured to where he lay now. "I don't think I've ever suffered more bruises and scratches in all of my life."
Though there had been that one time with he and his wife...

But well, that had been more pleasure than a silly fall off a cliff side. He was just lucky there was snow...
A true fall in any other weather would have resulted in death.

Ivory

Kerr nodded thoughtfully.  "And I very much doubt they would have left without you, unless the storm forced them to move on."  He rubbed his chin, thinking over the situation for a moment before saying, "That pass gets pretty bad in this weather.  I'll be surprised if we find it open.  The snow slides right off the sides of the pass onto the road.  Come spring, it will all melt...and that's a whole different problem."

visualspice

"Yes," the Grand Duke frowned. "Unfortunately, my hope the weather would hold out until I've reached the castle seems to have gone in vein. Though I'm sure Angsar has a reason, he does have a path for us all."

Ivory

"He certainly does," Kerr agreed, sounding, momentarily, a bit dark as he mused over the subject of his arch-enemy.  "I suppose you've grown rather accustomed to those rumors as well.  I certainly hope the Church isn't pulling away from the throne and that Saint Solee was an isolated incident..."  Of course, he was referring to the incident involving Kathryn and the attempt on her life...

visualspice

Calent furrowed his brow. Thankfully, that was the only incident that was popular. Damn rumors, even if they were true. It was harder to.. cover up any faults of his wife when they were in such public a place.

"But of course," he replied evenly, if not a bit tiredly. And he tried to move to make himself more comfortable, but it elicited a grimace from the man as his hand shot to his leg. Damn... feeling something wet- he realized he had reopened the wound. Gingerly turning the leg over, he regarded it a moment with a deepening frown. This was just not to be his winter. Not only was this season to take it's toll on his country, but himself as well!

Ivory

"That looks like a nasty wound," Kerr observed sagely.  He should know; he'd had his fair share of nasty wounds himself.  "We should pack it and stitch it up.  What did you cut it open on?"

Rising once more, the man began to busy himself about the hut.  He set more snow beside the fire to melt and went to his pack to fish out a needle and thread.  "It won't be pretty when I'm done, but at least you won't bleed out."

Heh, it seemed he had a captive audience after all...

visualspice

Calent's eyes flashed to Kerr's, though he said nothing for a time. "I wouldn't know. Probably sound rock or sharp ice when I fell."

Ivory

A plain, white shirt was taken from Kerr's pack -- his only spare, as it turned out, though he wouldn't complain -- and he began to tear it into strips.  Once everything was ready, he heated his needle in the fire with a curious glance towards the Grand Duke.  "That is, assuming you don't mind, your grace.  I've gotten pretty good at patching myself up.  Mercenary units aren't usually lucky enough to have a surgeon attached to their outfit."  Particularly not in his brand of work...

"Oh, that reminds me."  From his pack, he drew out some tea.  Sprinkling it into the water heating in the cup, he offered it to Calent.  "Some tea.  It will dull the pain without knocking you on your ass.  And it probably won't hurt your cold, either."

visualspice

Calent stared at the tea hesitantly, before knocking back a great gulp of it after blowing on it a few times to cool it off. But he cared not for a burned mouth, he just wanted this to be over and done with.

"So I suppose you can do this swiftly?" he asked, wiping any tea dribble from his lips.

Ivory

Kerr's grin looked a little crooked as he peered up at the man.  "Don't like needles?"  What good would it do any of them to hurry this along?  There was a storm outside, after all...and even if there wasn't, with a wound like this, the Grand Duke wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

"I wasn't expecting you to gulp down the entire cup..."  He'd spoken true when he said the tea would help numb the pain -- but gulp down the whole cup like that would have its side effects.  Calent might stay conscious, but he would probably feel disconnected from his body, as though he were floating above it looking down...and who knew what else?

But he sure wouldn't feel anything!

"Be still, now, and let me work.  I'll be as quick as I can."