Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Long, Cold Road

Started by visualspice, February 11, 2014, 09:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Calent's head was immediately affected by the drug. Not only did his throat burn from it, but as Kerr suspected, he felt himself floating, as if up and away from all of this, and the room not feeling quite as close as it was, but also confining in the same breath. He blinked, his pupil's dilating as he half growled, "Yes, well... whatever needs to be done.."A nd his voice trailed off on the end, as he clutched onto his consciousness, trying feverishly to stay awake, even as the heaviness of the drug threatened to take him down as his body also began to grow hot, and he, to sweat.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"You must relax and let the herbs do their work," Kerr advised as he bent over the man's leg to examine the wound.  It was a jagged, nasty thing, and it would leave quite the scar even with the proper treatment.  Well, Kerr would do his best, regardless; they couldn't have a lame Grand Duke, could they?

His needle shot out swiftly, beginning to knit up the bleeding flesh with a steady hand.  Even as he worked, he could feel the amount of heat the man's body was giving off...  It would either break the fever, or it would kill him.

"I have to say," he muttered as he looked down at the injured man with a catlike grin, "I never imagined I'd be patching up the Grand Duke himself."

visualspice

Calent was still swimming from the tea, and trying to keep himself from wincing each time the man worked the needle into his flesh. But at the last comment, he flattened his frown.
"I can't say I imagined it, either."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"You might as well sleep," he added with a glance towards his patient.  "There's nothing else to do until the storm passes and your leg heals enough for you to walk on it, anyway."

And, he imagined, it would be a difficult journey, with the snow probably deep enough to that they would spend most of their time fighting through it rather than simply walking...

visualspice

Calent gave an irritably sigh.
"Sleep would come more swiftly without the storm." For it added just one more plague to his mind.

Ivory

Kerr's laugh was genuine in response to the Grand Duke's gripes.  It seemed the rumors about him were true after all...

"Apologies, your grace, but there is only so much a man can do.  I'm not often relied upon for my medical services, so I'm afraid I've already given you all I have."

And, there was no way he could collect more -- not in the dead of winter with a massive blizzard trying to knock in the door, anyway.

visualspice

Calent gave a sigh and leaned his head back so it rested against the wall.

"It is not that I don't appreciate what you've done. It's just this winter is but another head ache added to my plate."
Things just could never be easy for him, it seemed. War, winter and women....
Just too many plagues in every direction he turned.

Ivory

"Well, there's only one person you can thank for the winter storm, isn't there?"  Once settled down in front of the fire again, he extended his hands outwards for the flames to warm them.  One person indeed -- stubborn, sadistic bastard that he was...

visualspice

"What, the mages?" Calent said, his jest coming out a bit bitter in his drugged stated as he gave a glare towards the wall. His head was swimming, and he found himself raising up a hand and holding his temples, eyes closing to stop the room from spinning.

Ivory

Kerr blinked at the man, then grinned widely.  Well, now he supposed he knew what happened when you drank the tea too quickly...

Good to know.

"Not what I had in mind, no.  Hey, look, I'll make you a one-time deal here.  It's not something I usually do, but it might help you sleep."

Kerr took a sip of the melted snow beside the fire, then cleared his voice softly and began to sing.  His voice was soft, but there was an almost unnatural beauty about his melody and the way he formed the words to the song.  The rhythm was almost hypnotic, lulling the Grand Duke to sleep with a folk song so old it had been all-but forgotten by most.

"In the fields, the grains began to sway,
In the reddening dawn of that final day.
And the voice carried 'pon the wind
Promised hope, peace, forgiveness of sin
All those who fought and all those who died.

Though we live on, not a one survived
Murdered by guilt, by fear, or pride.
Sacrificed all at the whim of a lord,
He remembered but forgotten the horde,
All those who fought and all those who died."

visualspice

The song was hypnotic in his fever and drugged state, and he found his eye lids hanging low.And just as it appeared as if the man were to drift off to sleep, he grumbled the words, ".. like a piano. Your voice. Like the music, on my piano.."
And then his body shifted forward as he fell into a restless sleep.

Ivory

Kerr's smile twisted slightly upwards.  He didn't sing often these days -- and, certainly, not for an audience.  Once upon a time, however, it was something he had loved...but, like everything else, it fell to the wayside, unable to compete with his quest for vengeance.

By the time Calent awoke, the storm outside had dropped off significantly, although the wind continued to howl outside.  The tiny cabin had been warmed by the heat of the fire, which had all-but sputtered out now but for a few burning embers.  The gray light of morning trickled weakly through the window, trying to compete with the blown snow and snow already covering the window.

Across the room, in a shadowy lump lay the Grand Duke's unlikely savior, asleep from the even breathing, now himself.  His mace sat nearby -- easily in arm's reach -- though his back was currently to it, to the dying fire, and to Calent himself.  His pack served as a pillow, while his heavy jacket had been tucked over him as a sort of blanket to keep the chill of winter at bay.

visualspice

It was dark when Calent awoke, the chill from a dying fire setting in and the approach of a second night was at hand. But what could be seen out of the little window of the cabin indicated at least the snow had subsided. Raising his head, he gave a groggy look Kerr's way before peering over to the fire. The blaze was a low glow and barely humming with life. Seeing the pile of wood nearby, he pushed himself along and managed to toss a log onto the flames. The fire let.out a breath of smoke and sparkling chips aglow, before returning to its crackling contentment. With a heavy with, Calent leaned up against the wall, catching his breath and letting his eyes drift towards the window, and wondering what was to become of the day.

Ivory

"Awake at last," Kerr murmured as he shifted beneath his blanket-jacket.  He yawned softly, then picked himself up with the air of a soldier accustomed to uneasy, unreliable, and uncomfortable sleep.

"How's your appetite?"  He gave the Grand Duke a once over, noting the effort which it had taken to put a simple log on the fire, and then he offered him a grin.  "And your fever?  Not any worse, I hope."

He doubted that; if it were worse, he never would have awakened at all.

visualspice

The moment he heard Kerr move, his eyes immediately went to the man. He observed him in relative silence before frowning and closing his eyes. He was exhausted, still groggy from sleep, but managed to rake a hand through his hair as he sighed at his last question.

"It's still there, but tolerable," he murmured, keeping his eyes close and a hand poised in his hair.

Ivory

"You obviously needed that sleep."  With the air of a man accustomed to checking battle wounds, he examined the freshly-sewn up leg, then nodded in satisfaction that it wasn't continuing to bleed.  He didn't dare removed the bandages -- not yet, at least.

"I'll have to go hunting if we want anything of substance, but I have some jerky."  Here, he fished out a piece and offered it to the Grand Duke with a thoughtful frown.  "Not what my mother would recommend for a sick man, but it's better than starving to death."

visualspice

Calent gave a tired sigh and nod in his direction.
"I could offer to help you, though I'm sure I'd be more of a hindrance than a help." Even if his own hunting skills were impressive. "Perhaps when this is over and I return to my men, you can come back with me and I can reward you for your generosity."
No kind act should go ignored.

Ivory

"It will take some time, I think, to dig ourselves out of this place."  He gestured towards the windows, half of which were buried beneath heavy snow.  "We'll have to dig ourselves out, I'm afraid.  And once outside, who can say how deep the snow will be?"  It wouldn't be easy, that was for certain...

The offer to repay his generosity, inexplicably, made Kerr laugh.  "If I wanted payment, I'd hold you hostage, your Grace.    Thank you, but no.  I've other business I must attend."  People to kill, places to see...

visualspice

Calent frowned and peered over towards the door.
"Perhaps we should have a look now?" ANd he moved to try to rise, grunting painfully at the effort.

Ivory

"If you're determined to kill yourself, you go right ahead."  A kinder man, probably, would have moved to help or to usher Calent back down -- but Kerr was not a kind man, and he had learned long ago that a man was more likely to learn his lesson through a licking than through kindness, anyway.  So let the Grand Duke take his licking -- perhaps next time, he wouldn't go wandering away from his men in unfamiliar territory on the brink of a snowstorm.

And, perhaps, he would realize just how hurt he was.  And, better yet, Kerr would get to see just how weak the man was...

So, instead of helping, Kerr simply watched in knowing silence as the Grand Duke of Connlaoth tried to pull himself together enough to simply stand.