Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

After the Storm [Lion rawr!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 05, 2014, 10:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Agrian just grunted louder like an animal.  He scowled as he watched the shadow of the guard approaching them in hurried anger.  He smacked the whip against the bars, Agrian stepping back just in time.  "No fornicating in the cell!"

He stopped when he approached and when he saw they were doing nothing, he blanched.  But his face was more than pissed!  "Stupid slaves!  Think you can make a fool of me?" he growled, holding the whip in one hand and unlocking the cell with the other.  He yanked it ajar and slammed the whip down at Agrian.

He was defenseless against the assault and staggered backwards against the whip, holding his arms up to protect his head.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

...Well, shit.

That backfired.

Bastardly guards couldn't take a joke! And Yasmin stared in horror when one entered the cell and scored Agrian with his whip before she could do little more than register the danger.

Shiiiit!

The guard struck Agrian again, and again--but when he raised the whip that final time, Yasmin threw herself between them and took the blow instead, crying out as it opened up a red gash along her back.

"Stop! Stop it! It's my fault!" she yelled as she grabbed onto Agrian. "It was my idea! It was just a joke!"

And guilt flooded her, biting sharper than the pain, because Agrian had saved her life--and she wasn't about to let him be punished because of her stupid antagonism.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

Agrian turned blindly when Yasmin suddenly lunged herself between them.  What a stupid girl!  He howled when the whip cracked against her skin.  The gaurd's arm was tireless, relentless as it beat against her, cracking against cloth and flesh.  He turned his arms around her, pushing her away and lunging at the guard.

"Stay back!  Damn you!" the guard yelled.  Agrian grabbed the whip and and drove him back against the wall, but the guard was equally strong, and soon his hands were around Agrian's neck.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

Shit! Shit! Shit!

Yasmin panicked, panicked worse than when she'd been hit by the whip, and as the two grappled together, she didn't know what to do. She'd leaped before Agrian to take the blows because she hadn't wanted to attack the guard. They were already up shit creek, so attacking a guard? That seemed like a surefire death sentence! Why couldn't he just let her suffer her stupidity?! The lashes would end eventually, but now they might die.

But when the guard started to strangle Agrian, that decided it.

It was all or nothing. They were already fucked. May as well fully commit.

She threw herself on the guard's back and wrenched him into a choke hold, squeezing hard enough to impede his breathing but not cut him off completely. "Let him go!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

The act loosened his grip and Agrin gasped for breath.  He sucked in air harshly as the guard struggled with Yasmin.  But it wasn't long before more guards came rushing down the hallway.  "What the hell is going on here?" came the call from what clearly must've been the captain.

"Both of you now!  Back in order!" The Captain said and two of his mean went in to peel Yasmin off the guard's back.  Agrian stayed in the corner of the cell and moved forward only to yank Yasmin toward him. 

He stared at all the guards defiantly, as if daring them to kill him now.  He moved forward as if to strike the first guard, but stopped short as the captain bellowed out.  "Stop there slave.  We keep the order around here!  We will sort this out."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Yasmin clung to the guard like a wild thing, but there were more of them than there were of her, and they weren't injured, either. They managed to wrench her off the man, and she struggled still until Agrian yanked her over with him, and only then did she start to calm down.

She was trembling from sheer adrenaline, and though she knew she was bleeding, as she could feel it trickling down her back, she didn't know how major or minor the injury was. She could feel its stinging, and feel the throb of the injury she'd received in the Colosseum, but the pain hadn't hit her fully yet as her body thrummed with energy.

She grabbed onto Agrian's arm, pulling him back. "Are you okay? Fuck, I'm sorry, I didn't--I didn't know it'd go so far."

visualspice

Their plan had been enough to fool the Shah, for as naive as she was, she didn't quite pick up on the obvious falseness of their act. But then again,s he was a virgin, and as any female Shah had to be, would remain that way until she chose a husband- and her only husband, for life. But just as she was about to depart, her face completely white, then crimson, she froze stock still as she heard the entire encounter go on. The whipping, the yelling and the revelation...

It was an act?

At each thing she flinched over, and it only cemented her feet to the ground. And for the moment, though it seemed s if the guards had order, she wasn't entirely sure what she was doing anymore as the world around her seemed to whirl.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Agrian was stony in his silence and kept an almost protective grip on Yasmin's arm.  True, she could fight well enough on her own.  He'd taught her well after all, but here in the Sha's Palace, he knew this was not the same life and death struggles of the Colosseum.  Here the chance for death was greater, and he'd rather see to it that at least one of them went on to wake with tomorrow.

"You!" the Captain growled.  "What happened!?"

"These two were making trouble!" the first guard growled, trying to massage his throat after Yasmin choked him out.  "I set them straight and then they went crazy!  Execute them!  For attacking the Shah's guard!"

The Captain just scowled at the man, taking what he said with a giant grain of salt.  "And you slave?  What do you have to say for yourself?" he asked.

Agrian instinctively squeezed Yasmin's arm, as if to tell her to hold her tongue.  And he stepped forward.  "We were sharing an intimate moment," he said with a deferent lowering of his eyes.  But when he looked at the Captain, the man seemed taken aback.  "He started to beat us.  Without cause."

"You seriously want me to believe you did nothing to instigate this?" the Captain growled and his hand gripped hard on the blade on his belt.  But Agrian's expression never faltered.

"We were sharing an intimate moment.  Life in the Arena can be hard.  You tend to keep close the companions you've made," he said, answering honestly.  "We sought to protect each other.  We instigated nothing."

The first guard spat at Agrian, and the gladiator stepped back, wiping his face.  "Don't tell me you believe such utter kaadir shit!  An attack on the Shah's Guard is the same as an attack on the Shah herself!  I saw you, you scum muckers!  You're lucky a whip was all you got!"

"ENOUGH!" the Captain bellowed.  He cut his eyes to the slaves then to the guard and snatched the man by the neck.  "I know my orders, and you would do well to remember yours.  They may be slaves, but they came here as guests within the Shah's palace.  Did she directly order them to be whipped?" he hissed.  His grip made the other man buckle his knees.  Pain was evident in his features.

"N-no, sir!  She was -"

"Then under what pretense did you have to abuse guests of the Shah's palace!?"

"N-none, sir!"

The grip hardened, and the first guard choked.  "Then you knowingly attacked guests of the Shah and shall therefore pay the price!  Take him down to my office!  I will deal with him personally."  He released the man and he choked, coughing hard, as the other guards in the entourage carried him off, taking off his helmet, and his weapons.  He said not another word to the pair as he slammed the cell door with a bang and locked it.  He glared at Agrian and Yasmin for a burning second and departed.

Though he said nothing, the message was clear enough to Agrian.  Another sound from the cell and they would both hang, without another warning.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Wisely, Yasmin kept silent and let Agrian do the talking.

He was better at that, and she knew anything she said would come out terribly. She definitely didn't have his gift for words and diplomacy!

As soon as the guards were out the door, the fight drained from Yasmin and she slumped bonelessly to her cot even as her heart still pounded away in her chest. That had gone...significantly better than she'd expected. Guests? They were guests of the Shah? What even...?

None of this made any sense to her. Not that she was complaining! It had kept them alive when they should have been dead yesterday.

Running her fingers through her cropped hair, she sucked in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Just. Stuff a gag in me and don't let me open my mouth the rest of our time here," she said, and winced. Now that the heat of the moment had passed, her body was starting to register the stinging pain in her back, and the hot trickle of blood wetting her torn clothes. But she grit her teeth and didn't complain, because she'd kind of brought that on herself.

"I'm sorry, Agrian. I...you're not hurt too bad, are you?"

Lion

The whole notion gnawed at him the wrong way.  Guests of the Shah!  He could spit!  To think that a cell and a cage and being pushed around by guards was anyway to treat a guest.  No, you must show them every hospitality, courtesy and need.  When he was still a Prince, he knew how to treat a guest....  When he was still a Prince, he knew that even the little things went a long way.  When he...

But that life was no more.  He was now the Shah's guest, and allowing them to live was the extent of her courtesy.

It was then that he remembered that they had both been severely wounded and Agrian's back and arms stung with the remnant fury of the whip.  "I'm cut open, and so are you.  I'm sure we can both assume the Shah doesn't want blood all over her own holding cell.  We wouldn't want to take advantage of her hospitality," he said, his tone no less biting.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Persea had wished to leave, to rid herself of what she was hearing, which was no less repulsive than if she would have seen it with her own eyes. But her legs felt useless, cementing her in place, and when things quieted and the slaves went back to their more civil speak, she had no idea how to react to that, to what they were speaking, and how.

It made a cold, sick tightness grip her belly, and her mood gravely went from fearful, to soured.
How dare they make such talk against her! Against she who saved their lives over their masters! No wonder there was chaos in the arena, perhaps the masters were not to blame...
Such insolent slaves should have been executed at the beginning, or sold off to other lands for those lesser to deal with them.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Agrian had no more words to spare.   The night had drawn in and the day had been trying and only tomorrow would bring news of their fate.  Were they to be executed?  Thrown to the wild cats on the Shah's property?  Only time would tell.  For now they surivived,  and Agrian quietly tended to Yasmin's wounds.

"Sorry," was the only word that passed his lips, and it came out no higher than a whisper.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Why are you sorry?" Yasmin whispered back with a frown, flinching away from him when he started to tend her injuries. She lightly swatted his hands away and turned to face him, not wanting him to fuss over something she'd brought onto herself.

"You saved my life, thunder thighs, and kept me alive. And I've just gone and gotten you beat up all the more for it. Now turn around and lemme fix you," she said, grabbing up what passed for a tattered blanket.

"I don't give a shit about the Shah's prison rags. You're worse off than me and we've gotta stop the bleeding somehow. If she didn't want blood on her cots, she shouldn't have put cots in here at all."

Lion

Agrian stared at her blankly, looking at her like a dumb log.  He wanted to laugh, even to grin, but something about the whole situation made him feel empty inside, like this was all his fault even if it had been Yasmin's choice to throw herself into the fray.

He said nothing as she tended to his wounds, the lacerations from the whip proving deeper than he thought and he visibly winced when the cloth touched them.

"Do you trust me?" he found himself asking.  "If you do, why do you trust me?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Yasmin tried to be gentle, but it was difficult. His wounds were bad, and it couldn't help that the blanket wasn't exactly clean. But it was cleaner than the clothes either of them wore, and it was their only other option. It was either that or let him bleed freely and suffer the effects of blood loss.

"Hold still. This'll hurt," she warned, before she carefully pressed the blanket to the worst of his wounds and put gradual pressure on it. It wouldn't feel pleasant, but it was necessary.

What they really needed was a needle and thread, Yasmin found herself thinking, but she was snapped from that thought by Agrian's sudden question.

She smiled lightly, a slightly crooked, wry one, and gave a small shrug--which she regretted, because it pulled at her wounds and made her gasp.

"Of course I trust you, Agrian," she said, without hesitation. "Why wouldn't I? You saved my life. Not just the other day, but way back. All the years I've been here. I would've died my first day in the arena if you hadn't pulled me aside and told me what to do. I would've died a hundred times over if you didn't keep helping me. And just the other day, you could have killed me--but you didn't. You asked me to trust you then, and I did, and I still do now."

She let out a small laugh. "It's not easy," she added, which she was sure he could imagine, considering how she'd fought against trusting him when he told her to lose. "It's hard just...I dunno. I guess it's just hard being vulnerable like that. Showing your soft, squishy parts and hoping you don't get a spear through them, figuratively and literally speaking. But I was serious when I said you're my friend, you know."

Lion

"Your friend?  A friend," Agrian mimicked her like one of those exotic birds his father liked to keep in his bird habitat.  They were well taken care of, unlike most of his slaves.  To think an animal had more value than a being of the same flesh and blood as you.

But they didn't see it that way.  To them,you were created by the gods to serve, and serve you will or suffer the consequences of disobedience.  Agrian shook his head of such thoughts. 

"I remember back then," he said with a laugh, trying to lighten his own blackened mood.  "You were so scrawny!  I thought just holding a sword was going to break your arm.  Now you've bulked up since then, good for you.  Strong like bull."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Persea had listened in to too much of their conversation, for she went from anger, to jealousy, even sympathy. Friends? Trust? Part of her had to wonder what that meant to these slaves, and what did it mean to her? But she left it at tthat, only the sounds of her foot.steps echoing softly indicated she had left.

Rhindeer

"Moooo!" Yasmin said with a quiet laugh, and slowly peeled the cloth from his back so she could find a dry spot and press it back down again. Oof. That looked so bad. It made her own stinging gashes ache all the more, but she hadn't been struck as many times as Agrian had.

"I was a little twerp back then. What can I say? I'd lived a soft life. Just turned eighteen when I got tossed in. Happy birthday to me, eh?" She pressed a little harder, and was relieved when she noticed Agrian's blood wasn't soaking through as much as it had been before.

"Say, what made you do it, anyway?" she asked suddenly, leaning to the side to get a look at his face. "Help me, I mean. Was I just that pitiful?"

Lion

"Yes.  I had to rescue the poor little gladiator from becoming tiger bait and watching you stumble around the arena, admittedly, was kind've funny.  You looked like a chicken trying to run for cover," he said with a snicker.

The cleaning up stung much less now and when he felt his wounds were dry enough, Agrian looked at her from over his shoulder.  He gestured for her to let him have a turn tending to her back.

"Actually, I think back then, I just wanted to help somebody survive.  Maybe I had something to prove...that we could learn to fight, to survive.  Or maybe I just wanted to see if you had any brains.  I'm still waiting."  And with that he stuck his tongue out at her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

With a laugh, Yasmin roughly ruffled his hair. "Says the one with moss growing out his ears, you ass!" she said, but there was affection in the insult, and in her grin. Handing the blanket over to Agrian, she turned her back to him so he could get at her wounds, clasping her hands on her knees as she braced for what she knew would be unpleasant.

"Well, brains or no brains, I'm still here, so you must have done something right, eh? Or all my opponents were just dumb. Still, uh...I never really did thank you for that. I guess being stuck here in this stupid cell together's just a good time for reflection and sappiness, huh? Uh. Anyway. Thanks. Seriously. I know I never really showed my appreciation--always too distracted by living--but...I always felt it. And always admired the stuffing out of you. You were like my idol back then."

She cleared her throat awkwardly. "I'd say you still are, but ever since I got that first whiff of your pits, well...that dropped you down from god status juuust a scooch."

And there she went again, cushioning sincerity with humor as she always did when she got too awkward.