Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

After the Storm [Lion rawr!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 05, 2014, 10:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

"Well, you could always show your appreciation by polishing my spear."  He snickered suddenly and tried to use it as a distraction when he saw the large gash that had been dutifully splayed out across her back.  He winced from behind her, but didn't say anything regarding it.  Both of them had taken a beating, it didn't need commentary.

He snorted aloud and raised a hand up.  "Just kidding!" he was quick to add.  "I can polish my own spear well enough.  The real ones you know, not my love spear.  Oh goddess, this is escalating really badly, so I'm just going to stop talking about spears."

And he couldn't only hold his laughter for so long before he suddenly burst out in a great guffaw.

"...I'll polish your sheathe if you want," he snorted again, unable to help himself with the sex jokes.  "I'm glad to see, however, that my efforts weren't wasted.  You're a good fighter, Yasmin, don't even let your humor sell yourself short.  I've seen good fighters in my day, some of them more privileged than they deserved.  And it isn't where you come from that makes the fighter, it's what you do with what you already have, and learning to adapt when needed.  You do all right...for a bumpkin."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

"Excuuuse me? Bumpkin?" Yasmin asked with an incredulous laugh, her shoulders twitching in pain as Agrian tended to her back.

"Says the man that calls his penis his love spear! Seriously, I'm still stuck on that, I just--did you name it, Agrian? I heard men do that, did you? Pfffft, anyway, I don't think we should be doing any polishing of any sort here 'cause if our fake out made the guards pissy, I think they'd have our heads over the real deal! Both of your heads, probably, and my one. Unless they decided to watch. Maybe that's why he got so livid, he wanted a piece of the action and we didn't deliver, the pervy voyeur."

Yasmin realized, abruptly, that she was rambling, because her face had heated more than a little when he'd mentioned polishing her, the bastard, not to mention she never quite knew how to accept praise--especially from someone she looked up to so much. How messed up was it that she found criticism and insults easier to swallow but genuine compliments made her inwardly flail? Thank Hakeshna her back was to him. She valiantly pushed onward!

"Whoo, total derail aside--sorry, I just, love spear! Uh, but seriously, thanks." She squirmed a little more, scratching the side of her cheek. "I only hope to live long enough to be half as good a fighter as you are!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

Awkward conversations indeed.  But something about it all made him feel, what was that word?, ah, normal!  And he hadn't felt like that in a long time.  In the end, it was a feeling he knew he would be thankful for.  There was something about Yasmin's demeanor that kept him grounded, reminded him there was still more to life than killing, than surviving, and he didn't know what he'd been doing he met her.

He just smiled, mending her back, letting the blood collect along the ripped up piece of blanket.  They were moth-eaten anyway. 

"No, I don't name my body parts," he said, to clarify.  He laughed anyway and shook his head.  "You're a real smart ass you know that?  You just want to find out all the gossip about your gladiator hero, so you can spread it around to all the other fresh bloods and make a little Agrian fan club."

He snickered and snorted again – that was getting to become a bad habit of his!.  "Ah, there we go, all fixed up.  For now anyway.  Soon as we get out of here, we'll have to take you to a real healer.  Not the kind in the Arena.  Kavena just likes to cut people open."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

"Make an Agrian fan club? That implies I already haven't," Yasmin said with a teasing smirk, and rolled her shoulders gingerly when he finished up. Ergh. That smarted, the skin along her shoulder blades and back pulling at her wounds. It was going to be especially awful tomorrow, because things always felt worse the next day. Fantastic. And here she thought the wound Agrian had given him would be it until she returned to the arena!

If she returned to the arena alive...

It was an effort not to touch the wounds to see how bad they were. She had a bad habit of worrying and poking at her injuries, and she had to fold her hands to keep from doing just that. "Kavena's a creep, anyway. I heard she keeps the dead bodies of fallen gladiators stored somewhere and does like...experiments on them. Cuts them up and plays with their insides."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

It was kind've a painful irony that there even was a healer for the Arena.  She was a sunken-eyed old bat with what seemed little more than three teeth, all of which were rotten, and long gnarled fingers twisted with arthritis, and an unnerving thirst for blood.  Agrian had only seen Kevena once and that was after his first fight, suffering a broken arm, and was cut up pretty bad.  She had set the arm, but only after several agonizing attempts.  He'd seen that look in her eye, that gleam of amusement, the hag.

"If she does, I hope it's so she can learn to do a better job at fixing the live ones," Agrian said and gently moved toward the cot nearest him.  He was dead tired, after all the trouble of the day.  In fact he wouldn't mind if he didn't wake up at all the next day.  As long as Yasmin made it out alive that was.

"Hey, you better get some sleep while there's still light to be had.  We'll be going back to the auction block tomorrow probably, if we don't get the headsman's one first.  Either way you'll want to look your best."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Look her best? Yasmin cracked a lopsided grin at that and, gingerly, stretched out onto her cot, laying on her belly. Of course, it was nearly impossible to get comfortable, with her back aching, her side throbbing, and her torn clothes damp and sticky with blood.

"What? You trying to say I don't look drop-dead gorgeous right now? I'm insulted," she said, resting her cheek on her folded arms. "I'll be sure to paint my lips with blood and pinch my cheeks rosy tomorrow. There might be some dirt laying around I could use in place of kohl, too..."

Lion

[And this thread will probably be coming to a close very soon.]

Agrian lay turned with his back to her in his cot.  "Oh I'll be sure to write you a heartfelt letter of apology and praising your beautiful body and shapely breasts when we get out of here.  You got my back, I got your back, right?  Which means you'll owe me one too," he said, growing sleepy and closing his eyes at last.  Tomorrow could not come fast enough!

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Owe you? Bah, I'm fairly certain you did your math wrong there, thunderthighs..." Yasmin murmured, and was surprised at how exhausted she was now that she'd actually laid her head down. An emotionally taxing day that ended with getting flogged was draining? Who knew! It may have been impossible to get comfortable, but there came a point where one's body didn't care one hoot about that, and Yasmin had reached that point.

And before she knew it, she had drifted off, tumbling into the deep, blessedly dreamless sleep of sheer exhaustion.

[Fin? =O]

Tags: