Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dreaming of Dragons [M]

Started by Lion, May 12, 2014, 01:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

The touchdown at Reichenstone was as gentler than the wind.  As exhausted as he was, High Lord Doryx Acaulian was not about to wake his sleeping wife.  After all that happened in White Sands, they both deserved their rest; perhaps, she more than he.  All the same, however, there was no shortage of relief to finally be safe at home, at least for the time being.

Doryx had never been one to fly by the seat of his intuition and damn the consequences.  Least of all in moments like this, when he could only imagine the consequences to come from the summarily destroyed castle left behind in the wake of Devaniée’s …conniption.  That was putting it lightly and the matter lay heavily on the High Lord of Darken Vei’s heart.  The Gods only knew what price would be demanded as payment, as punishment, as justice for the lives that had been lost.  He tried to prevent it.  Gods!  He risked his own life to save so many others at that castle!

But the damage had been done and could not be undone.

Doryx looked to the quiet motionless form of his wife, in what some would have called an exhausted slumber and what other’s still would only describe as the sleep of death.  His heart leapt up into his throat at that notion.  Perhaps she was better off dead, if only that he might spare her of what was to come.

Devaniée, he thought.  My wife, my love, how I neglected you so.  How could you let me bury myself underneath worlds of study, of state, of diplomacy, and never once did you utter a word…  Not that you would have.  But how could you ever come to believe that I would never want you to think or to peak or to tell me how you feel?  Tears welled up in his eyes.  What is life without someone to share it with, in every way?  I will make it up to you.  Somehow, someway I will prove my, Devaniée.  I will never leave you behind.

His eyes glistened with the threat of tears and they rolled over until two fell and landed onto the pillow case beside Devaniée’s head.  He’d set her down gently and pulled the thin silken covers over her body as the cool breeze drifted in through the balcony doors.  And gently did his hands hold hers before he leaned across her and pressed his lips to her forehead tenderly.

He then took his place beside her and laid down.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

As Devaniée lay there sleeping, a raging storm of dreams surged inside her head. Of darkness, of destruction, and the bitterness of being alone. Through the fire inside her mind, through the smoke, she could see herself moving, flying, sweeping, calling, crying as she opened her large black wings and howled mournfully towards the moon. And below her was a city of blood, where even the rivers were red, and the bones of men lay charred beneath the trees. But she was seeking something. She knew not what, just something.

And as she looked around to where an emptiness lay to the west, beside purple fog laced across tall mountain peeks, she realized whatever it was she was searching for was doomed. And her stomach grew cold and her eyes wet over and her long mouthed lips curled back as she let out a cry-

and awoke, clinging to Doryx with tears in her eyes.
"Noooo! Noooo!"she wailed, half awake, half still inside her dreams.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Doryx had been just falling asleep when Devaniee startled him, half-asleep herself.  He jumped, nearly fell out of bed before he realized she was still asleep.  "Devaniee," he whispered, leaning up on an elbow and brushing her hair from her face.  "Devaniee!  Wake up!  You're dreaming."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Devaniée let out a sharp cry of alarm as she sat up in the bed, her body covered in sweat, her hair in disarray, and her heart nearly beating out of her chest. And she took one look at Doryx before hastily touching a hand all over her face before suddenly throwing herself at him and sobbing against his chest.

"Tell me it was all a bad dream, Doryx. All a terrible dream."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Doryx's eyes were wet from his tears and they only welled up again when she threw herself against his chest.  How could she not know?  How could she so easily forget?  He hadn't wanted to believe it as much as she, but he knew distorting or brushing off the reality of what happened to would do neither of them any good.  If he couldn't protect her, the least he would do was to tell her the truth. 

His arms went around her and he hugged her possessively to his chest.  "No...it wasn't all a bad dream," he murmured.  "Maybe the parts when you were asleep.  But the parts before.  Those were real."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Devaniée continued to weep as she held him, wetting his shoulder as she cried. She slowly shook her head.
"I know," she breathed against him, fingers curling into his clothing as she clung onto him. "But I was just hoping, that when I fell asleep.. the moment I woke up it would all go away."
She laughed pathetically at her self. "I know... a silly, selfish dream. But I.." and here she went silent, lips trembling, teeth tucking back that quivering lower lip.

Lion

"It's not silly," Doryx said softly.  "It's a perfectly natural reaction.  After all that...  Well, I don't want to think on it now."  His arms squeezed her tighter.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Devaniée hugged him back tighter, keeping her face buried against him as she too, didn't want to think about any of it now, or ever.

Lion

Doryx laid back against the bad, draping Devaniee across from him and pulling the blankets up with a spare hand.  He brushed her hair from her shoulders instead as a breeze came in from the balcony, rustling the sheets in a cooling touch.  "When I first when to that ball, the one where you saw me and hunted me down to make me your own, I have to admit, I was terrified.  But...I also had to admit, that when I saw you...just wow.  You were...dazzling.  Like an enchanting crystal.  Or a charged shard."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

She tried to smile about it, but it was forced as the tears began to roll down her cheeks.
"I knew you wouldnt have been able to resist me," she said quietly. "But who knew what the consequences would be of my greed?"

Lion

"Well, no one could have known then what the consequences would have been then.  I couldn't have known that we'd end up married and find myself hopelessly in love with you.  I knew that you were beautiful and I was waryabout you," Doryx went on.  "I thought you would surely try some kind of trickery.  Little did I know the joke was on me.  I couldn't get enough of you.  Even if I was a little hard-pressed to show it."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"You may say that, Doryx, but I still hate myself," she admitted. "The woman you fell in love with. That wasn't me. At least not the real me. I just wanted to be perfect, like my mother groomed me to be. And I could marry no one else. You were the exact man she wanted me to marry. So I did."

Lion

"Then your mother has good taste in men," Doryx laughed, trying to lighten the mood.  He squeezed her tighter and rubbed her back once more.  "Maybe you didn't like who you were then.  You say you tried to be perfect, the most appealing version of you you could possibly be.  But y'know when I met the real you, that...now that was perfection.  Our flaws make us perfect."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"Perfection?" She peered up, brows dipping sharply. "Perfection?!" She shook her head. "Doryx, I could have killed you today! I tuned into a horrible monster! A beast!"

Lion

"I didn't say the dragon," Doryx said evenly.  "I meant the you I saw before the bracelet, before all of this happened, when we made love in your room...and practically demolished the place."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Devaniee trembled as she looked up into his face.
She couldn't even speak, tears simply fell down her cheeks.

Lion

Doryx never did let her go.  Instead he leaned in to kiss at her tears, brushing them away and leaning his head into hers.  "Even after all these years, I wish I had seen that woman earlier.  Her fire, her intellect, her passion.  Like when I would surreptitiously watch you when you were painting.  I love that part of you.  That is the perfection I see."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

His wife smiled warmly at the thought, a hand finding his and threading their fingers together.
"I do love to paint.." she murmured softly, giving his hand a gentle squeeze. "It's the only time I've ever felt free."

Lion

"That is when I see the perfection I so admire," Doryx whispered.  "I always loved to watch you paint.  I always loved to watch you at peace, to watch you express yourself without fear of retribution."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"Yes... they were always nice times," she went on, tears still clinging to her eyes. "But now I fear I might not ever paint again." For she was so afraid, so anxious of this curse that even her love for painting seemed like it existed in some other, dream like world.