Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Birds and Consequences

Started by visualspice, September 01, 2014, 06:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: tags to @Bleeding Phoenix

It was an exceptionally hot day, but she desired to be exceptionally pretty- for it was her birthday, and many fine men (and well, other sorts of guests) would be arriving in attempts to appease the wealthy merchant princess on this day of days. The first gift had arrived and had been erected in such grand splendor it was nearly impossible to top, for an exotic tree from the South was brought to her that bore sweet fruits, and had exquisite foliage unique to the jungles.

She was intoxicated by such a gift, and also by the many bottles of wines given and served to her that day that she eventually concocted a plan to have her gifts (for the ones that could be so) strung upon her tree in a magnificent display. No one had seen such a thing done before, and to see all of her gifts perched within the sweet smelling branches made Ne'friss all smiles and blushes.

The day couldn't be anymore perfect, and the flirts and almost kisses here or there were rather nice, but as usual, she did not give into temptation, and let the men who pined for her linger a little longer. After all, choosing a husband was critical, and she could only have the best of kinds-
and she was not sure that these handsome and wealthy men were the right kind-

Perhaps more alcohol would have persuaded her, but she soon grew tired and the evening ended well into the night when the skies were twinkling with stars.

Still on a high from the seven glasses or so of wine she had drunk (though really, it was considerably less, considering some of it had ended up spilling out when she, like a ninny, ran around with her gilded goblet in hand)-
but now that she was alone,s he gushed beneath her tree and plucked at each of the individual gifts until a soft flutter caught her attention and her eyes turned to a cage wrapped in gold. Her eyes went wide as she observed it. How had she not see this gift wrapped cage before?

Reaching up on her tip toes, she tried to reach it but failed. A few more times came in vain, but eventually, she was smart enough to bring over a few pillows to step upon,a nd used them ot give her the few inches she needed, and soon the cage was plucked from the tree and she- greedily tearing off the gold paper-

and with a gasp, there she peered down at the delicate little fluttering humming bird within,- and her green eyes shined like the stars themselves.

"Oh, aren't you such a gorgeous thing!" the merchant princess gushed, holding out the gilded cage to get a better look at the thing. "Such a tiny and handsome bird, with such regal colors!" And as she tried to look for any sort of indication as to who had given her such a gift, she came back with none. None theless, she was pleased with such a gift, and one of her slaves could inform her later, for now, she was exhausted, but excited all at once as she kept the cage top gripped into one hand while she rushed off to her room.

"You shall hang in my sleeping chambers, by the window, so that I may see and hear you sing when I wake and when I sleep." And she made a cheerful little noise as she entered into her room, taking delicate, but regal steps as she moved over to a stand beside her bed and cleared off a spot just for the little bird.

"There, isn't that much better?"s he cooed to the tiny bird, bending over just enough so that the beaded attire that she wore seemed not to be covering her body any longer and exposed the lush, gold and black paints that adorned her skin beneath, and glistened off the sweat that was sticking to her- for even the royals sweat in Essyrn.

"Such a handsome bird... you'll need a name,"s he mused, eyes sparkling still as she peered at her bird in the cage and lightly poked at it, still bending over and giving the little birdie a show.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Bleeding Phoenix

Emyr had really been liking the desert. Or rather, he'd been liking the oasis; the desert was just a little boring, but it was well worth it to reach the city of Essyryn. What a paradise that was! There the only plants were cacti and other succulents which bore massive, vibrant flowers that beckoned to him like candy, and though the air was bone dry, the vast open sky boasted huge crispy insects far slower than the bugs he caught elsewhere. The hummingbird hens were plump and lustrous, the drakes no match for him in flight, and the humanoids invariably troubled and interesting. Hot sun, cold bird baths... And oh, the wines! The people of Essyryn had an unrivaled appreciation for wine, and it showed in their craftsmanship.

Yeah, paradise... Until he fell into a trap.

It must have been that the crafty bastard spoke to or observed him in one of the canopied watering holes that cloistered the city. Emyr had been flitting from each to the next as the fancy struck him, taking in conversation and many thimblefuls of Essyryni wines. Such was the power of currency- if a hummingbird could order and pay, then by the gods, they'd serve a hummingbird.

Emyr had lingered for long enough that serving girls who at first had given him strange looks no longer did, and several tavern keepers no longer batted an eyelash to see him bringing them copperlets and demanding their finest. He was no stranger to meeting people who wished him harm- but never, on all the earth, had he ever thought the idea might occur to anyone to catch him in search of profit. So, naturally, when Emyr stopped to drink from an unattended phial of full-bodied red one evening at dusk, the gossamer net that sprung up around him was the last thing he expected.

He'd cursed and plotted and tore at the fine threads with his toes, but before it could do him any good, the net had opened on a golden cage. And what was worse, the man who caught Emyr had had the foresight to acquire a cage whose crisscrossed bars left no room for him to squirm his way out. None of his threats had fazed his captor, nor had his logic held any sway. In short order, the cage was giftwrapped in paper that left Emyr in the dark, and before long he could hear the sounds of a gathering or party of some sort around him. Some perverse part of him had even wondered how much he would sell for, but now it seemed he'd been given as a gift. Just great. No longer seeing the point of hovering within his confines, Emyr curled his talons on the intricately carved perch provided for him and heaved a sigh. He was getting hungry, too. Not good.

After what felt like a thousand years (okay, it was maybe only three hours. Three LONG, impatient hours) something disturbed the tree the gifts were nestled in, and unable to see what it was, Emyr panicked and tried to fly away. The hornetlike hum of his wings, half muffled by the paper, was the only result.

There was a pause, and more rustling, and finally he felt his cage being taken down. Light poured in as the wrappings were torn off. "Eeek!"

The face of a young woman filled his vision, her eyes alight. Her outfit covered so little and cost so much, he could only guess she must be a high-class courtesan. Oi... He dared not ask.

"Oh, aren't you such a gorgeous thing! Such a tiny and handsome bird, with such regal colors!"

Flattered, Emyr puffed his chest and struck a pose. The moment didn't last long- he bolted from his perch and hovered in the middle of the cage so her running down the hall couldn't make him motion-sick. He'd had almost the whole phial of wine before that trap sprung.

"You shall hang in my sleeping chambers, by the window, so that I may see and hear you sing when I wake and when I sleep."

"Sing?!"  Emyr gave the scantily clad lady a look that somehow, with only his beady little eyes, suggested he was concerned for her psychological health. "Do you know what birds are saying to eachother when they chirp? It would make your ears burn!" He tilted his head. "And believe me, you don't want me to sing in the more conventional sense. Can't carry a tune in a basket."

"There, isn't that much better?"

"I'll admit, I'm a little hung over and not being moved is so much better right now." Emyr gave a tiny belch. "But what would be really great is if you'd let me out of this cage."

His wings spread reflexively in offended surprise. "I'm Emyr! And I won't answer to anything else, not even 'Handsome'. Although I am flattered you think so." He climbed to hang from the top bars of his cage, away from the swinging of his perch. "Nice knockers, by the way."

visualspice

At the sound of the tiny voice, Ne'friss gave a cry as she jerked away, at first her jade colored eyes darting all around her room until she realized, with a few quick breaths, that the voice was coming from the bird.

"You speak!" she exclaimed, one hand going to the beads that rested, just barely covering her breasts, and that was when she took in the last comment that he said as she peered down at her beads, then back to the bird.

"For one so small, you have a mouth so big!" she exclaimed, not quite certain how to react to such a thing, for it fascinated, and she supposed she should also be offended, but the surprise and intrigue won over for now, as she took a few dainty steps forward towards his cage.

"And you said you had a name?" How cute he was to accept her compliment. Wouldn't others be jealous of he? She had seen talking birds before, but those birds vocalization was sketchy at best and never before had she ever heard full sentences, or ones that could properly react to a conversation!

Approaching the cage fully by now,s he was nearly breathing down upon him as she asked, "And what was it you said your name was, little bird?"
And she spoke to it as if it were some sort of child or pet-
For to her, this exquisite creature was!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Bleeding Phoenix

Emyr had a tendency to speak at breakneck speed, and was somewhat used to large swathes of his statements being ignored. Yet now, it seemed the breast comment had snapped his new captor into finally addressing him. With his beak closed, he gave a tiny exhale that may have been a laugh. "Yup. Sure do. That was dreadfully impolite of me," he said in a cheerful tone.

"But as they say, out of sight, out of mind, if you know what I mean." Emyr's beak was longer than his body; a perfectly appropriate metaphor.

"Oh yes, I have a name. Don't you?" Emyr tilted his head at her from where he hung in the roof of his cage, studying as if trying to guess. "All birds do, but mine's special because humans can distinguish it too." He puffed up his crimson chest.

"My name's Emyr, and I seriously am a little bit hung over right now." He huffed a sigh. "I don't suppose you'd let me out of this here cage yet, would you?" Lacking a means of making facial expressions, Emyr bodily hunched inward a little, looking sad. "I don't much like being caged."

From their interaction so far, he supposed she was to be his new 'owner', the recipient of the gift. He didn't imagine she knew what to feed him or how quickly he'd sicken without exercise. For that matter, he couldn't assume she'd care one way or the other. Sweet spirits, what had he gotten himself into?

visualspice

"Emyr? Oh, what a lovely name," she cooed, still mesmerized by the sweet, adorableness that was this bird. But when he went on to as to be let out...
Her demeanor changed quickly as she snapped, "Absolutely not!" And placed her hands to her hips as she glared down at the bird. "You were a gift to me, and a gift you shall remain. Your cage is your home now," she went on. "Do you not like it? Do you wish for something bigger? Grander?"
Yes, perhaps even this little of a bird might benefit from something much more grand. She wasn't completely heartless, after all.

Bleeding Phoenix

"I know, right?" he said. "But what's your name, then?"

Emyr blinked. What a sudden change! He hadn't expected the suggestion of being let out to be well received, but he hadn't expected that either. He looked around, taking in the luxurious room outside the cage and what it likely implied about her tastes. He was no expert on people, but knew someone who made it a point to have the best of everything was probably not the kind of person to let go of what they got.

"Well, of course I don't like being caged," he said, as casually as he could manage. "Would you? But bigger would help." And then he got what he considered to be his most brilliant idea since finding himself trapped. "Oh! Or- you could jess me around the foot, like falconers do." His wings whirred into motion and he hovered above his perch. "Then you could be sure I wouldn't escape, and I could spend some time uncaged."

visualspice

Ne'friss peered thoughtfully at the bird for some time before giving a nod.
"Then it will be done. A larger cage you wish, a larger cage you will receive. And I'll be sure it is in gold and crafted only from the finest metal smith. But oh, there I go on."
So she paused when he went on with another suggestion that made her expression sour a bit, but then as she thought it over, she tapped her lip in thought.

"So.. like a leash?"
And still bending over his cage, she furrowed her brows, the frown returning.
"But you're so small," she said with a poke towards his belly. "How would I ever get a leash on you? It seems as if it might strangle those tiny little legs!" And she didn't wish to hurt her knew gift, after all! Yes.. perhaps the biggest cage she could find for him. And oh- wouldn't it be lovely to get him another bird? She didn't share this with Emyr, but her eyes sparkled at the idea.

Bleeding Phoenix

Emyr was in no mood to thank her for a better cage; if you asked him, he still shouldn't be in a cage at all. He did perk up visibly though- this place was tiny! Much too small to properly plot his escape in, with half his attention on not banging into the bars.

Hmmm. What were the chances there'd be any alcohol in his near future? Perhaps better than he'd thought, if she were so apt to spoil her "pet". Maybe he should ask tomorrow morning. Then again... Maybe he should give her more time than that to forget about the knockers remark.

"Yeah, like a leash." He nodded. "Or rather more like a shackle, I suppose, in human terms."

Ill-temperedly evading her poke, Emyr looked down at himself. Okay, fair enough, he was no falcon. "I guess we'd have to get one custom made," he thought aloud. "It's true they don't generally come in hummingbird size."

He cleared his throat. "Now, either you don't want me to know your name, or I've not heard it among all this kerfluffle." Settling on his perch to rest, he added: "And I really am getting quite hungry. The sketchy jerk who trapped me didn't feed me a gods-be-darned thing. Too busy staring off into space."

visualspice

"A hummingbird?" her eyes were still aglow. "Is that what you are?"
And as he went on to mention her name, her lips split open into a wide grin.
"I am known as Ne'friss," she told him cattily. "But you can call me Lady Ne'friss."
He was her pet, after all! He might as well keep his tone proper!

Bleeding Phoenix

"Why yes," said Emyr, settling on his perch again for a moment. "If you listen, you'll hear it." He took flight again, the sound of his wings audible. "That's why we're called humming-birds."

Lady Ne'friss, huh? he thought. Well, he had no reason not to address her the way she wished yet. Maybe it'd get him out of here faster somehow. Still...

"That will be an adjustment for me... My Lady." The words stuck in his beak like stale taffy, but it was a start.

visualspice

Ne'friss's eyes shined at his reply. How wonderful to have a little bird of her own that could actually talk, and not the way like other birds do that squawk! She'd have to learn more about these 'humming' birds, because she was so delighted by him she wanted some more!

"So tell me, my little bird," she cooed. "What sorts of lands are your breeds from?"

Bleeding Phoenix

Emyr cleared his throat as if about to give a formal speech.

How he loved to talk about his species! In a way, it meant talking about himself. "Well, all over Lee'reana, for starters," he began. "But elsewhere too."

He sat on his perch again, his wings falling silent. "There do have to be insects to catch and plenty of plants to drink from. We're voracious hunters who rely on nectar as fuel for the chase, and need an incredible amount of it in a day. A hungry or thirsty hummingbird is a dead hummingbird."

At this point, his stomach rumbled audibly. He hadn't forgotten that. "Although I'm different because I can eat human food too. Hint hint." He paused pointedly before continuing. "We look for gardens. You'll find no hummingbirds in the city proper, nor stopping to sightsee in the open desert." None except me, he thought, missing his freedom anew."If there are too few flowers in any place we cannot survive there. "

visualspice

"Oh, but you are lucky then that you have found me!" Ne'friss went on in a gush. "At my home, there is a lovely garden I could let you stay in. It's full of so many fragrant and beautiful flowers. I love to watch them bloom when new buds arise."

Bleeding Phoenix

Emyr tilted his head at her.

"Are you sure you haven't seen any hummingbirds in your garden already?"

He fidgeted on his perch, stretching his toes. "They wouldn't have the same colour scheme as me, but there are hummingbirds in Essyryn. I've seen them."

visualspice

"Oh, no... I don't think so..." She went on with a frown. "But perhaps if you're here, they will come!" And her features brightened immensely. "And maybe we can get a few more to share in your cage!"

Bleeding Phoenix

"It's strange you haven't seen any in your garden, especially at dawn. Are there a lot of hawks or-" his voice quavered "-owls in it?"

Owls weren't even hummingbird predators- too slow- but Emyr feared them more than the legitimate dangers of hawks, roadrunners, giant jungle spiders and frogs, jumping fish or getting stuck on a cactus. He was phobic of them.

Emyr twitched momentarily and tilted his head at Ne'friss. "Hens?" he said hopefully.

visualspice

Ne'friss was about to answer him when someone came shouting down the hall.
"Lady Ne'friss! Lady Ne'friss!"

She turned from his cage and called out into the hall, "Hrobreht, I am in my room!"
And not even a moment later the pudgy, red faced Hrobreht appeared, and he had to pause and rest against a piece of furniture as he caught his breath.

"Oh, Hrobreht! What is wrong? To think you'd be so foolish as to run!"

"Oh, but I had to tell you the news!"
"News?"
"Yes! And its fabulous news indeed! I came all the way from Memtaht just so I could be the one to tell you first!"

"Oh, but if its such wonderful news, why don't you speak of it already?" She said, her temper beginning to flare. "You know how I am not a fan of these sort of surprises!"

Hrobreht was still trying to catch his breath.
"I am aware, my lady. It is why I ran!"

"Then out with it already! I shall be in the grave long before you will reveal!"

And it was only then the man sputtered out, "Lord Mehta is to arrive tomorrow. And he wants to see.you!"

Bleeding Phoenix

"Mmmkay," said Emyr, looking between Hrobreht and Ne'friss, "who's Lord Mehta?"

(OOC: Ack, sorry for one line. Was really hoping to come up with something better.)

visualspice

Ne'friss could have shouted for joy, but the shouts that suddenly erupted were hardly from herself as Hrobreht was all over the talking bird.

"Oh, by Hakeshna's name! Did that little biddy birdie just talk!?"

OOC: No worries, short posts happen sometimes ^_^

Bleeding Phoenix

[OOC: Sorry for the long absence. Life's been crazy.]

Emyr slicked back some of his shoulder feathers and twitched one wing. Eventually, he made eye contact with Hrobreht.

"I did," he said, "and I understand it's weird. But I could still really use to know who this Lord Mehta guy is."