Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Star Falls (Chronicler)

Started by Ethereal-Star, October 11, 2014, 08:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

Note: This is based on a character (non-canon) that I created. I felt she was best left to be as free-form a character as possible. Basically she is the Earthbound version of a Star called a Flameling and as such, does not really fit into a particular setting. But enough talk, without further adieu here is the story.

A Star Falls

The night sky was calm and quiet, a beautiful reminder that life can be peaceful and filled with many blessings if one were to only look and acknowledge them. At first glance the starry heavens seemed to be as they should, twinkling merrily from far away in their cosmic homes. Soon, however, a far off light could be seen glowing in the blackness, getting brighter and closer to the earth. As the light came closer it began to shift in form and shape before a sudden brilliancy filled the area in a copse between two trees. The light had already begun to dim and a yellowish white humanoid shape could be seen taking further form. After some moments, the glow dimmed enough to reveal a woman, albeit a most exquisite and ethereal woman, her beauty was definitely not of this earth.

Evadne looked up as the transformation completed. Having taken Flameling form, she could now rest and continue to adjust to this new state of being. After all, like all Flamelings it took awhile to fully adapt to being land-bound. She smiled contently. She had chosen once more, like many a time before, to come to the world of Gaia to explore its lands and meet its people. It had been awhile since she last descended, about three centuries or so ago. The last time she had visited the world of Runa, a most tranquil and lovely place to go to. The people here on Gaia, while not as spiritually or technologically advanced as Runa's inhabitants, were still nice people for the most part. She tried to avoid the shadier types however. Their darker, troubled auras revealed them as such and so she kept her distance as much she could.

She trekked a short way toward a small cave and began the process of adjustment which could last anywhere from a week to a whole entire month of Earth time. After that, she could travel freely and begin her journey. Her sparkling luminescent hair flowed behind her as she took light steps toward the safe haven. She glanced up at the sky, taking note of her brothers and sisters above and silently sent them a blessing. Not all Stars can or choose to descend, she was one of those who were able to and chose to. But they all had their place in existence.

As Evadne reached the cave entrance, she stepped inside and looked around for a suitable spot. During this time her powers would be greatly weakened and she needed to be at full strength before she went anywhere else. It was absolutely vital. Despite these limitations, she experienced a certain freedom many of her kin did not have. She reveled in the thrill of it all. Settling down, she chose a spot near the back of the cave, near a small waterfall pouring into a shallow pool. Closing her eyes, she laid down and entered her star-lit meditation, feeling much at home there amidst the light.

27 days later....

Evadne was now fully adjusted to her new form and was ready to see the world and all it offered. Mortal life was so short and so she was excited to see what this new Gaia would offer as much time had passed since her last visit. She soon came upon a small village of people doing their daily everyday activities. Some looked up at her presence and gasped at seeing such a magnificent being. She briefly heard murmurs of "Look, it's an angel!" and "Don't be silly, that is not an angel!" "Then what is she?" someone else asked. Evadne had experienced this time and again, for it was nothing new to her. She simply passed them by but not before gracing them with a smile that seemed to evoke starlight itself.

The world had changed a little bit in her absence from what she recalled, but she was eager to see what else lay ahead. She had a feeling an adventure awaited her.

Commentary: If anyone has any questions on this character, just PM me. I have a very detailed description of Evadne and her kind in general. Interesting note: Evadne's name is from Greek Mythology but a Latinized version. It means 'Light'.   

Chronicler

The mundanes took her for an angel, how amusing. Aleric knew better than most the nature of angels.

A dark figure stepped from the shadow of the eaves of a building, the darkness seeming to cling to him for a moment before he was revealed fully in the morning light. Aleric gave the flameling his most disarming smile.

It wasn't much reassurance, as the expression revealed a set of short fangs. Though he outwardly displayed grace and charm, the darkness in him was unmistakable.

"I apologize for not arriving to greet you sooner," he said with a bow, the black feathers of his cloak rustling with the movement. "Locating you proved something of a challenge, but it seems I am indeed just in time to offer you my hospitality."

He offered her his hand in a gesture of friendship, the dark metal of his ring, and the black polish on his nails catching the sunlight.

Ethereal-Star

When Evadne noticed the man come out of the shadows, she was immediately put on guard. His aura was clearly of a corrupted, malevolent nature, the mark of a demon summoner clear in his energetic field. She also noticed his rather macabre cloak and the blood red vial at his waist. The Flameling recognized the feathers as those once belonging to an angel and decided right then and there, this was an individual not to be trusted at all. After all, angels and other celestial beings were allies of the Star-Folk. Seeing the remnants of one clearly defiled like that, made her both wary and alarmed, taking an instant dislike to the dark vampiric-looking man. Evadne could only imagine what the contents of the vial were.

She stared evenly at the evil man, her eyes fierce like glowing supernovas. "I do not speak with the likes of you." she stated firmly. "I sense the darkness in you and I do not wish to tarry here any longer than is necessary or be seen with one such as yourself. Begone, vile creature of darkness and death!"

Evadne watched his reaction carefully. "I will also do what I can to protect these people if you so much as dare lay a finger on them. I will have none of your foul magics cast!"

Chronicler

Aleric bit his lip fretfully, placing a hand to his chest. "You wound me my dear," he said softly, his deep voice soft and pleasant. "Indeed I walk a dark path, but as they say, the end justifies the means. If I cause harm it is only for the greater good of all."

"Aleric Hellswarden I am called. Resident late of Zantaric." He bowed. "It is my wish to learn what I may from one such as yourself, and provide my protection against those who would mean you ill." He smirked. "Admittedly, people not unlike myself.  But who better to understand the creatures of the dark than one who dwells among them?"

Ethereal-Star

The Flameling listened to the necromancer's words, letting him speak.
After all, her kind did their best not to judge as it were not in their nature
to do so without good reason. However, she felt justified in her earlier
accusations as he indeed did walk a dark path of treachery. Evadne recognized
a demonlord when she saw one. Dealing with such matters only invited trouble,
no matter how much the person wanted to sugarcoat it.

Evadne continued to stare at him with a level gaze. "Explain to me what you
consider to be "for the greater good." As I see it, and I have seen much as I'm sure
you can understand, the greater good covers a wide berth of the knowledge of life
in general, the first and foremost thing to consider and always keep in mind is
that life is precious. Life after all is a series of complicated and intricate events,
something that is not meant to be wasted. And demons and their ilk do not harbor
this sort of respect for life, especially mortal life which is so fleeting in the greater
scheme of things. For one who deals with such creatures I am certain you
understand the nature of thus better than most."

Here Evadne paused, gathering her thoughts before continuing. "If you truly wish to know more about my kind, you need to understand that we as a whole, cherish life in all its forms. Those who would exploit it for their own cruel ends and misguided amusements have turned away from the Light and as such it is up to them in their own time, to come to terms with their deeds. Stars do not interfere in such matters, we only observe. And some never do come to understand the error of their ways."

"The real question that remains is what path will you take? Will you continue
your current one or seek to better yourself by realizing the entirety of your actions? I have watched from afar many demonlords and those who practice the dark arts in the hopes that they will change their ways. Some do, some don't. Many a time it depends on a major earth shaking experience to deter them from a life of death and destruction. Perhaps it is the death of one they have grown to admire and love at the hands of the very ones they serve? The knowledge that there will never be another quite like them, a fact that has indeed driven some to repent and rethink their course of life. I have SEEN it, I know of which I speak. You would be wise to consider the nuances of every little action you take, and whether or not it truly is for the greater good as you so believe. As Stars, while my kind may dwell in the depths of darkness, the life that sustains us also sustains many more, worlds and people alike. We see the dark as necessary, and so it is with good and evil. They co-exist alongside the other, for there can be no light without the dark. No order without chaos. It is a fundamental of the very fabric of the universe itself and of the greater multi-verse. But for one such as yourself, you have taken the side of destruction in an entirely different way, one which does not respect or honor life."

"I can only hope my speech has made you consider yourself in a new light. Until then, I bid you good day, for I must be off. Perhaps one of these years, you will come to a better conclusion and reintegrate yourself in a more beneficial way in the network of life. Perhaps then, we can discuss more. But for now, I only see the evil that festers inside you, seeking to claim you for itself. I will not be drawn into that." And with that, Evadne turns away.

Chronicler

Aleric smirked, listening to her diatribe.

"You misjudge me. I am not a servant of the darkness, but it's master. I have saved countless lives banishing destructive demons, and when justice fails I give vengeance. It's true I charge for my services, but that is only fair," he said.

When she turned away, he reached to grab her hand.

Ethereal-Star

Evadne sensed this and moved her hand out of his reach.

"I wish to hear no more of your misguided words. For in truth, you simply just revealed that you are in fact not one to be trusted. Leave me now. I do not want any conflict."

The Flameling turned back around to face him again. "Why are you here regardless? I cannot believe your presence here is at all for anything good."

Chronicler

Aleric scowled.

"I will not be leaving here empty handed," he said with an air of certainty. "You care about these... humans? What are you willing to do to protect them?"

He raised his hand and pointed at one of the villagers who stood by watching the pair of strangers. He made a gesture and a pale blue flame rushed to life at her feet. She began to whither away and when the eldritch light faded, a mouse stood in her place.

"Shall I turn the next one into a cat?" he asked coolly.

Ethereal-Star

Evadne gasped at this. "STOP." she commanded in Star-Speak, a strange foreign tongue common to all Flamelings which had the surest possibility of affecting whoever hears it, especially if such spoken words were directed at them. It's ability to penetrate deep into the subconscious was in truth something that either alarmed or fascinated most. What effect it would have on this being of darkness she couldn't be entirely sure though. Her voice took on a haunting but eerily beautiful quality of sound that went straight to the depths of one's mind. "Leave these people be and reverse what you have done. NOW." she continued in that strange eerie language.

Evadne looked quite intimidating in that moment, a pure force of celestial power standing strong, golden light radiating around and through her. She could only hope the demonlord-necromancer would heed her words.

OOC: Check her profile for information on Star-Speak. It is up to you to decide if this would have any impact on your character. At the very least, I think it would make him pause and be mildly alarmed. Your call though. And, in case you're wondering, Star-Speak is more felt than heard, so understanding the words isn't necessary to know what is being conveyed. If that helps at all.

Chronicler

In the midst of the screams of the locals as they ran for cover, the necromancer froze, momentarily transfixed by the music of her voice.

Before he could think, Aleric waved his hand and the mouse began to change again. The magic ceased abruptly, however, leaving her in a strangely elegant shape with the proportions of a human but still the aspect of a mouse. She huddled in silent terror, too afraid even to flee.

Aleric's eyes gleamed with a red shimmer, something other than himself seeming to look out at the flameling from behind them.

"That is a clever trick, star child. Perhaps I'll have you teach it to me," he said with a snarl.

Ethereal-Star

"I'll do nothing of the sort." Evadne replied vehemently, this time in the common tongue, the energies of starlight still coalescing around her but not nearly as much as before as she toned it down to a lesser degree. "Even if it were possible, I would never do such a thing."

The star woman crossed her arms in front of her chest, regarding the evil being that peered out from the necromancer's red eyes. "I gather you are one of the demons who inhabits your host who stands before me. Know that I will not give you anything so I suggest you go back to the abyss which harbors your kind. And tell your 'master' such as well. I may not desire to go on the offensive, but I certainly will if you give me reason to." she warned.

The village by this time had mostly deserted with the inhabitants fleeing for their homes out of terror. It was for the best they remained out of the way anyhow. Evadne did not wish to see any of them hurt. As for the poor frightened woman....

"Remove your vile magic on that woman. Completely." the Flameling ordered sternly, eyes ablaze with starfire. "I will not see a civilian hurt by any means."

Chronicler

Aleric chuckled. "Allowing a demon to share my body is a small price to pay for his power," he said. "He is hardly noticeable until someone makes a misguided attempt to wield magic against me. I will not be caught off guard again."

He focused his attention on his victim still sobbing on the ground, and with a snap of his fingers she was a mouse once more. He walked over to the spot and knelt down to pick her up by the tail.

Ethereal-Star

Evadne was extremely worried for the villager, now a mouse again. "Release that woman! She has done nothing to you!"

Evadne walked over to the woman/mouse and Aleric himself, hoping to find a way of saving the woman from whatever this dark mage were about to do. This was the problem with descending to different worlds. In Flameling form, she didn't really have the option of staying out of conflicts. She was no longer a detached viewer of events, but now a humanoid being who became drawn into the very happenings in which all Stars watched from far away in space. As a Flameling, she was now involved in a more direct way with the people on whatever world she came to visit, and these were the kind of things she had learned to accept over the many millennia of her long existence and many travels. Evadne knew this. While being no stranger in becoming involved with the various struggles of mortals, fighting and violence was never something she could become accustomed to. She preferred to help, to guide, and when necessary to be stern and strong in the face of evil. Violence was the last resort for her and it would always be that way. The star had unleashed her powers before on those tainted individuals, but it could have gone no other way. Sometime these things were unavoidable. And so Evadne would help this woman with whatever means necessary. If a fight were in order with the dark demon master, so be it. She would not stand idly by while this woman suffered at the hands of this vile creature.

"I am warning you." she slowly made her way over to them, thinking about her options as she did so. "Leave these people and this village in peace."

Chronicler

Aleric nodded. "I will leave, if you leave with me," he said. "I have no ill will toward these people, but I have no qualms about killing to achieve my ends."

The mouse in his hand shifted and changed, becoming a sparrow, which promptly few away in a panic.

Ethereal-Star

Evadne watched the sparrow fly off with a sigh escaping her lips. She wondered what the necromancer could possibly want with her. There was no doubt his intentions were vile, lacking any kind of decency within their depths. However, Evadne had promised herself she would do whatever she were able to in defense of the village and its people.

Reluctantly, the star agreed. "I'll go with you." she stated quietly. "Just leave these people be." She looked up at him, eyes alight with blue-black fire blazing in the dark orbs. "On one condition. You tell me what it is you wish from me."

Chronicler

"I want to study you," the necromancer said. "I want to learn how your magic works, master it if I can for my own ends."

The flameling was no fool. She'd seen so much of the world, though she was not a part of it. But she had not seen him. He was a different creature.

Ethereal-Star

"That's simply not possible." Evadne stated with certainty. "We Flamelings are our own unique race of beings, anyone else cannot learn our abilities, it is exclusive only to us. You are wasting your time." she raised her head in defiance, looking at him straight on. "And what exactly does this study of myself entail?" She needed to know what she was getting into after all.