Shattering the Veil, Vol I: Blacklight

Started by Vyraena, December 12, 2014, 01:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vyraena

Shattering the Veil
Vol I: Blacklight
by Vyraena Krosse

Preface
   Ever since I have turned my focus on being a Sorceress, many people have asked me how I created Blacklight Magic. The answer I typically give in response to this question is "I never created it, it was always there." The responses then vary, but they all have the same message; "If it was always there, someone would have discovered it already." This is my contribution to the magical community around me, the legacy I will leave for the Mages who follow me. In this tome, I will disclose how it is possible for this magic to exist, and why no one else had discovered it first. I will also describe how I came to "create" this unique magic.

Chapter I
   In the beginning, before the creation of the world, or even the universe, there was only darkness. Eventually, at some point, a light showed up somewhere. In that singular spot, the light shone, surrounded by darkness. More and more lights began to show up, and eventually the world and universe got to the state they are at today. Now, say for example that we were to take away all the light in the world. What would be left? Darkness. No matter how you look at it, this is the correct answer. Without light, there is darkness. Similarly, without darkness, there is light. Applying that principle, we can conclude that darkness is no more than the absence of light, and retrospectively light would be the absence of darkness. This explains how Blacklight Magic can exist.

Chapter II
   If you look in the magical tomes from any civilization, no matter how old, Light Magic and Shadow Magic are described as two elements that are opposites of each other, and do not work well together. Yet, how does this make sense if we just decided that all light is is the absence of darkness, and vice versa? The answer is simple: it doesn't. If you don't believe me, take a light and shine it on an object in an otherwise dark area. From that object, you will see a shadow extend. Now take that light away, and the shadow will disappear. You can't have one without the other, because they are the dependent on each other.
   Once you free your mind from the illusion that Light and Shadow cannot coexist in a singular form, you can unlock the full potential of both elements. This is how I came to realize that Blacklight Magic would be relatively easy to create. If I could control the light, why shouldn't I be able to control the darkness? They needed each other to exist at all, so it should be completely possible.

Chapter III
  After my epiphany, I began to experiment. I would create a light and shine it at an object, then attempt to manipulate the shadow that was created. Right away, I was able to control it in minor ways. I could extend and retract it, as well as alter the shape. As I kept practicing, it got easier and easier. Eventually I could create shadows from scratch without needing and object to take them from. I had finally gotten a grasp on both elements. I kept improving my skills until I could use Shadow Magic as if it were the natural magic I had been born knowing.
   Most people would have been satisfied there, but I was not. I wanted to go further. I began to think about what would happen if I combined the properties of the two elements. What if I could create something with all the properties of light as well as those of darkness? A black light. This time it only took me a few hours to figure out the key. I went to try it out, creating an orb of light like I normally would, but focusing on creating an orb of shadow at the same time. As it formed I could see the elements fuse together. I had done it, something with the properties of both light and darkness. Since it looked like a black light, I called it Blacklight Magic.

Afternote
   I understand that even after reading this, most people will dismiss the idea as crazy. Some of you may think I made all this up just to keep the real secrets of my magic to myself. No one wants to accept that something that has been deemed correct for centuries is actually incorrect. However, only those who are able to break free of the illusion before them will ever be able to comprehend this magic. Eventually, I'm sure someone else will crack the code. I'm sure it won't be long before other Light Mages attempt the same thing I did. Some of you may even be asking why I would give away the secrets of a magic no one else had ever thought of.
   To those people, all I have to say is this. Human life is so fragile. We are born and then we die. Everyone exists at some point in between. However, few people ever truly live. People go through their lives only worried about themselves, never giving anything to the society they grew up in. This is my contribution, the legacy I will leave behind and hopefully be remembered for. For that, I'm willing to give up my secrets.

Tags: