Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Taste of Freedom [Draco]

Started by Zero, April 03, 2017, 04:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Of course that was how they lived, and some part of her knew that. However, this was obviously a case where the money shouldn't have been enough to make them do what they were doing! Not that they had any reason to care how unhappy or angry she was - as long as she was delivered intact to her husband they were getting paid for their service.

That was part of what made it so easy to cry. Nobody cared and she couldn't just escape like she'd so cleverly thought.

It surprised her when he actually stopped and set her down surprisingly gentle-like. Pyria guessed he had to make sure the goods weren't damaged. They'd get in trouble if she was hurt during transport. She bit her lip, trying to stifle her waterworks as he kneeled down and started...sniffing her. How strange.

He really was like some kind of animal person.

"I'm not bleeding, and you can't fix it." Why did he suddenly think she was hurt somewhere? He'd looked at her dumb ankle last night and seen for himself it was fine. Was he confused by the crying?

No time to think on it. Pyria's eyes went wide and she tried to step back when he pressed his nose against her stomach. This was too weird. He was like some big, scaly dog.

"What the...how would you even know that?" She huffed, glaring up at him as her tear-streaked cheeks burned red. This was humiliating! He could raise her arms up and hold her there so easily, and now he was talking about stuff like that after sniffing her! "That's not something that you need to know!"

Draconian

Roland winced.

Right. Right. Human.

Finally he looked up, his pupils wide orbs in his mix of concern, curiosity and well, feeling bad. His ears were pinned back and he reached up with his hand, fingers going to her cheeks to wipe away they tears before he stopped and stood up. His hands on her shoulders before he shook his head, right. Human.

They weren't as touchy-feely as he was used to.

"It's..." He frowned, "Just... I can..." Smell was a bad word. That meant it didn't smell good. Not that it smelled good. It didn't smell bad. It just... "It's just a scent and..." He tried to smile at her, but it looked more like a grimace, "Sorry," He rushed out, "Just part of what I am, I was surprised. That's only supposed to happen once a year and we're taking you to your new Mate during, so now you have to wait ..." He pat her head sympathetically, "How do you know you'll hate him?" He asked, curious before he moved his hand to her bicep, fingers going around it, not silly enough to let her wander away.

Zero

Why did he keep touching her so much! It was weird. Pyria still had a very sullen and pouty expression as he wiped away her tears. If he wasn't a big lizard man that was keeping her captive against her will she might even have considered it a kind of sweet gesture.

It seemed useless to point out that he didn't need to be scenting her at all. That wasn't part of his job or what he was being paid for.

Pyria had no idea where to even begin picking apart everything he was saying. Once a year? Have to wait? Why'd he look at her all sympathetic when he said that? Honestly it was starting to make her head spin just a little bit. She gave a small useless tug when his fingers curled around her arm, but as she suspected, there would be no running.

"He's not my mate, and I don't care what he's like. I will hate him. From what I've heard he's not exactly a nice guy, and I am not going to be his damn wife. He can't just control me and force me to sit in his stupid house and, and, and..." Have his children.

That was the worst part. She didn't want to have to lay there in some stranger's bed and let him have his way with her only to be then forced to have his babies.

"I'm not a brood mare!" Pyria snapped angrily.

Draconian

Rolands eyebrows went up.

Concern was clear on his face. "You don't want to be his mate?" His hand hovered by her head, ready to tuck haie behind her ear. His voice was soft. It clicked then, how different everything was. "Having children is a great honor," his eyes were soft when he looked at Pyria.

"You didn't Choose him? You don't want children with him?" Sure humans were different but.. Everything he knew went out the window when it came to the little human girl. He was a predator now. This was his girl and if she didn't want to mate with someone...

"I'll protect you," he decided. Like a switch was flicked, money didn't matter anymore. The only thing that mattered was keeping His safe and happy. "Where do you want to go?"

Zero

Children as a great honor? She'd heard that it was a great joy to be blessed with children in your life, but to her it was only presented at a duty expected to be fulfilled whether she wished it or not. It wasn't that Pyria disliked kids and never wanted any. The idea that it was beyond her choosing when or with whom that had so turned her stomach at the idea.

"Of course I didn't choose him." She muttered in response to his question. If she'd chosen the man why would she be trying to run away from him? That made no sense at all.

The complete turn around in attitude did take her by surprise, though. Well, he'd always been willing to protect her, that was his job. It was him asking where she wanted to go that was catching her off-guard.

Pyria really didn't have an answer to that. "Wait, really? You're not going to drag me back kicking and screaming? What about your money?"

Draconian

Didn't choose?

Roland's eyebrows drew downwards and he let out a quick little breath. Angry. For her. For the choice she didn't get to make. Roland placed his hands on her shoulders, looking at her before he sighed and glanced away. "I don't need money," Which was true. The mercenary band needed money.

He'd lived just fine before without it.

As much as the Mercs had been his family they had never truly been such. It hurt to think of it but he knew he'd only ever been fooling himself into believing they cared about him. His hand cupped her cheek and he smiled at her, close lipped so his teeth didn't scare the girl.

"I'm yours," he said softly, letting his hand fall away, "Just... Now we need to go somewhere. Do you have other family I could bring you to? A home somewhere?" he paused and tilted his head, "Where were you going to run off to, Sweetling?"

Zero

What kind of mercenary didn't need money? He'd been concerned about money just a minute ago. She had no idea what could have brought on this sudden change of attitude. Was it the part where she didn't choose her husband-to-be? That made no sense. Shouldn't it have been obvious from the start that she didn't want to go to Adela or marry Edgar?

Topaz didn't have to show his teeth, the smile alone would have been enough to set her on edge, and the way he cupped her cheek definitely did. The affectionate touch was strange and seemed wrong to her.

He was a hired thug!

"No you're not, and I'm not your Sweetling." Pyria scowled, folding her arms protectively around her as she tried to step back away from him. She didn't know this man...creature. "I didn't have anywhere to go, but anywhere was better than to him. All of my family would turn me in and give me to him."

She shuddered at the thought. They already acted like the damn man owned her. Like she was his rightful property.

Draconian

Right.

Right.

Roland pulled his hand back and looked a little bashful with himself, a flush on what tanned skin the scales didn't cover up. A moment for his ears to pin back and he looked away before clearing his throat. "Right, Sorry," It felt like rejection. He knew it wasn't. He knew she was frightened and he was a giant beast of a man and unfamiliar but still.

Being told he wasn't hers felt like straight up rejection and he couldn't help the tightness in his chest.

Keep it ... Not vocal. He closed his eyes for a moment before he looked away and moved his hands away before he stretched his arms up and rolled his shoulders. "So... No where? You had no plans. You were... Just going to get eaten by a cat and that was it?" He'd been a little angry. Putting herself into needless danger like that.

"I don't want you to get eaten by a cat so... Name somewhere that you know the location of and we can head there, okay?" It seemed that simple. It could be that simple.

Zero

For a lizard man, he was very expressive, what with those big ears and all. It almost made her feel a little bad when they pinned back like that. He truly did remind her more of a puppy than a lizard, except for the scales.

Still didn't make him hers or her his Sweetling, or give him a right to go touching her like that.

"Getting eaten wasn't part of the plan! I just...underestimated the danger of the forest." Pyria huffed and narrowed her eyes. "Plus getting eaten would have still been better than having to go marry that jerk in Adela."

Actually, they were in Adela now, weren't they? She honestly wasn't completely sure anymore, and didn't know where to go. Her plan had been very pitifully thought out. With determination and a frown she flexed her hands into fists and paced a little, eyeing her weird guard cautiously. As far as she was concerned he couldn't really be trusted.

Then again, she didn't know why he'd decided to turn on the mission and instead focus on her.

"What about the other guards? Won't they come after us? I imagine they still care about the money." She didn't know if they could catch her as easily as he had. Pyria licked her lips nervously. "What about you? Is there somewhere you know that I could go and be safe from...well...everyone? I know you said you don't care about the money, but I'll find a way to pay you back, I promise!"

Draconian

At her last request, Roland instantly thought of his home. His true home.

A far away look in his eyes for a moment, remembering. Could he go there? Would that be safe? A moment for his heartbeat to pick up, the idea of being home, truly home, fluttered in his head. It would be a destination, at least. And while headed there, he could convince her that he was hers and she was his and he'd make her happy and shower her with affection and live out his life for her and... Roland blinked away the thoughts, frowning at the ground for a moment.

He'd gotten it bad quickly.

Swallowing carefully he nodded to her. "I have an idea," He said softly, looking over his shoulder like the other guards would be hot on his trail. They wouldn't be. He was the tracker. Still, when he didn't meet up with him... Would they think he turned traitor? Was he willing to do that for this slip of a girl? He rolled his shoulders, ears pinned back still with his mental distress before he nodded to the girls horse.

"Get on your horse, we're going to go north, okay? I'll take care of you, you just need to tend to your beast." He tried to smile at Pyria before he started to walk the other direction, "We can't take the mainroad. Not for a few days. So... You'll probably have to sleep on me again," he tried to look sad about that for her but... He'd probably enjoyed the contact far more than he should have.

Zero

For the longest moment she was afraid he'd say no. If he didn't have anywhere safe that she could go Pyria didn't know what she was going to do. It didn't really feel like anywhere was safe to her.

Despite her suspicions and reservations, she felt a bit of relief when he finally said that he had an idea. Where would they be going? Had she really lucked out this much? That her paid guard would suddenly decide to go against money to help her and then just conveniently know somewhere to take her that would keep her free of her arranged marriage?

She saw him look back towards where they should be heading. Was he afraid the guards would find them? Just thinking about the others capturing her and dragging her to Adela made her shudder softly.

Pyria nodded slightly and quickly moved to climb into the saddle. The mare turned easily to follow the strange creature. She was kind of surprised that the horses weren't afraid of him. He was obviously a predatory beast man - if what he'd done to that cat was any indication. Her attention jerked back to him when he suggested she'd have to sleep on him again.

"Well you won't have to restrain me, so I should be fine not sleeping on you." They shouldn't be anywhere near each other, honestly. "You don't have to do this. You could go back and tell the others that you couldn't find me or something."

Draconian

Her suggestion just made him frown and he felt the growl at the back of his throat at the idea.

Did she think him just evil? She already almost got herself eaten by a cat! Roland's heart lurched at the idea of losing her now. Could he go on? A moment of panic at the idea of her just... Leaving. Luckily for him he could probably track her to the end of the world but... Death was permanent and Roland looked up at her on her horse, his brown and orange hair being blown by the slight breeze. His mouth parted slightly and he quickly closed it and turned away.

"The ground is cold," He said simply, "I am warm," A confused look at her... Why wouldn't she want to be warm? Roland opened his mouth and then closed it again, glancing off to the side. "I'm yours," He said simply like that answered all the questions. It did to him, at least. "Leaving you alone is out of the question," he said firmly, walking along side the mare, nudging her when he wanted her to move in a certain direction.

A deep breath and he looked at Pyria on the horse. Looking at her set him at ease because he knew that as long as he was with her, everything would be fine. It would all work out because she was his and even though she didn't believe it or understand, he knew that he was hers. "I'll have to probably hunt something for fur so we can trade and sleep somewhere that isn't the grass," He huffed a breath and looked around, wishing he'd thought to skin that cat.  A deep breath and he only caught the scent of His and her horse.

"Do you know anything about the geography here?" He asked a little hopefully - she was noble, that meant they were educated, right?

Zero

Out of the question.

Pyria scowled at him, blue eyes flashing daggers at him. Who did he think he was? She was not at his mercy! He did not own her and she didn't need his permission for anything, including being alone if she wanted. Perhaps that anger was in part an extension of her distaste at the idea of being saddled with a controlling husband.

"You're not mine." She growled obstinately. "I don't own you, and I have no way to pay you. You are your own man, aren't you?"

That kind of threw her argument right back in her own face, didn't it? If this Topaz was a free man, creature, person...then she couldn't stop him from following her. Right now it was highly convenient for her to have him around, and despite her reluctance he could definitely come in handy. She didn't have much protection against dangerous things like that cat.

"What do you need to know? We were going south, now we're going north. Which would take me back towards home. I'll have to skirt well around my father's holdings. Just in case." Being captured meant for sure that she would be shipped to be married.

Draconian

The words hurt. Again.

Roland winced visibly, his head ducking down and his ears pinning back. Of course she didn't know what she was saying or how badly it hurt him. The pang in his heart at being denied so vehemently did more damang than good but... She was human. They didn't feel like Kulshedra felt. Roland gave a simple nod to her question.

He was his own man. Now more than ever. He was doing exactly what he needed to do to keep himself and His safe. Still, he breathed in quietly and continued walking, listening to her talk and explaining about her fathers holdings.

"Don't worry," He said, voice firm and he was very sure he knew what he was talking about. Everything would be fine. He'd see to it. "We'll... Go right up north," He said simply, a glance away, "What province is he in? Maybe we can avoid it. Get you settled somewhere else," He rubbed his arm and looked up at the sky, "Can you do anything that makes you money?" Roland asked, curious, "You can't live on your own if you can't feed yourself."

Zero

It was easy to miss his body language, since the young woman wasn't paying attention to her unexpected accomplice. Instead Pyria was gazing straight ahead and chewing on her bottom lip, deep in thought. She was oblivious to the hurt she was causing him, and wouldn't have understood it if she had noticed.

"Ravensway is where all my family lives. We could go around it to head further north. It will just take a little longer. Which is okay." It wasn't how long it would take, just the matter of not getting caught. They didn't have much money on them that she knew about.

He said he could hunt, which would give them food, and mentioned selling pelts too. Hopefully they wouldn't need much coin to get by for now.

"I've never thought about it." Pyria scowled softly, angry at herself because she felt pretty useless. How had she ever thought running away would be simple and easy? She couldn't even take care of her self and make a living. "I don't know if my lights will be much use outside of home, but I could probably do something."

She was well-educated. A governess wouldn't be too bad, but she'd have to deal with rich people like merchants and nobles, who could possibly recognize her.

"Are you really sure you want to help me? I think you'd be better off leaving me to fend for myself. I already told you I have nothing to pay you with. This is a suspicious amount of work you're willing to offer for free to a girl you've barely met." There were a lot of suspicious things about him, but she was kind of desperate too. He saved her life and she didn't have many other options for aid.

Draconian

Ravensway.

Roland's ear twitched while he thought, trying to picture a map of Serendipity. His reading skills still weren't the best but he could manage and he had seen a map once or twice before. While she spoke, he pictured Serendipity and finally, after getting a somewhat decent plan plotted out in his head, he gave her an orange eyed look. "Lights?" He questioned, ears perking up.

Though, her questioning of his choices made him a little angry. A heated angry because why would she think that? She was his! He was hers! The words were on the tip of his tongue before he remembered that they made her uncomfortable and that was one thing he didn't want to do. Make her question his motives. Make her not want to be around him. "I just..." Roland couldn't think of a good lie that didn't sound super creepy.

"Can't stand to see children being sold off like cattle," He said. Which was true. As far as he was aware, "They don't tell us the details," Right? Were they supposed to know? Did she tell him? Roland couldn't keep his story straight. There was an odd mix of feelings. Both I've found Mine and Why does she hate me?

"Maybe my conscious caught up with me," He lied again. It wasn't his conscious. He was selfish and didn't want His to go to a different man when he could woo her and ... Maybe make His want him back.

Zero

"I can make little balls of light with magic. It's not a super useful skill, at least not for making money." At least she was pretty sure it wasn't something that could be considered in high demand. Her own little home was not an indication of the outside world at all. Nobody would find her useful except her home with its traditions.

Or her stupid not-husband who only saw her as a means to make himself more money and to produce babies with.

Pyria scowled at his explanation, plucking at her mount's mane in frustration. He didn't make any sense to her, and therefore couldn't be trusted. It was just that simple. Besides, her father had hired him to take her off to be married. Even if he said he didn't like that, well, who could say for sure if he was lying or not?

"I didn't know many mercenaries had consciences." She grumbled, folding her hands and tilting her head back to look up at the sky, still frowning. This mercenary was the best shot she had right now. Maybe antagonizing him wasn't the best idea.

Sighing heavily she looked back to him and tried not to look or sound quite as annoyed as she truly felt. "Look, uh, Topaz?" That's what he called himself, wasn't it? "Thank you. For saving me, and helping me. I know I probably sound like a spoiled brat to you, but I do appreciate what you've done for me and what you're offering. It's just one of those things were if something seems too good to be true it probably is, you know?"

A mercenary that was her enemy spontaneously switching sides to help her was kind of...just like that.

Draconian

Roland felt his ears pin back involuntarily when she mentioned consciences. How many times had he had to tuck his away? Why was this time special? Because she smelled wonderful? Because he'd felt more at home the night before when he kept her close than he ever had? Roland licked his lower lip before he caught it between his teeth while he walked. A brief glance to her while she was looking up at the sky and he opened his mouth... Nothing came out.

He wiggled his ears to move them from their pinned back state and he watched the grown while they walked... Topaz? For just a second he was back at his tribe. His elder was there, the talk they'd just had about his future there. No female would want him after his child had died inside the last one he'd laid with. Bad luck. Terrible fortune. Topaz smoothed his hand over his chest, feeling his heart lurch, lost in the memories before he jerked his head to the girl.

Orange eyes wide, he stared at her for a moment before right. It'd been fifteen years.

"Roland," He corrected softly, " My name is Roland. Topaz is..." He paused, "My title." he carried on, letting his head process more of what the girl said before he got pulled away into it. He took the reins of the horse and stopped it, standing beside the girl and looking up at her.

"Just... Trust me, please?" His voice was soft, a quiet beg. "I just want you to be safe. I'll die for you. So please. Please. Just trust me. This isn't too good to be true because you're not in the clear yet. And you've almost been eaten by a beast. I just want you to be safe and happy." He said. Her happiness was key now. It didn't matter what happened to him.

As long as His was happy, he would follow suit - even if that happiness wasn't with him.

"C'mon," He said sharply, moving again and tugging on the horses reins. They should move. The longer his previous companions had to wait, the angrier they would get and Roland wanted to be as far away from them as possible.

Zero

Pyria frowned as her spontaneously loyal guard seemed to not really be there for a moment. She wondered what thoughts had dragged him away. Whatever memory had snared him didn't seem to be a pleasant one and her frown was less scowl and more concern as he rubbed at his chest for a moment. When he jerked his head to look at her again she turned her head slightly and cast her eyes down so she wasn't staring at him.

She wondered if staring got offensive. With humans being the most populous race in the world – as far as Pyria knew – it probably got old being started at by humans when you looked so different.

Hearing his voice softly made her lean forward slightly, blue eyes drawn back to him as she listened to him tell her his name. Delicate eyebrows arched gently at the correction. His name was Roland? That seemed like such a bland human name for a scaly lizard puppy man-thing. What did he mean by title? She thought about asking, and then thought better of it for now.

"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't know. Last night you called yourself Topaz, so I just assumed." Pyria had a moment of panic, heart trying to creep back into her throat, when he made the horse stop. Was he going to reconsider? It was probably a decent amount of money he was giving up in exchange for nothing but trouble and she wouldn't blame him if he chose to side with her father and the other mercenaries. That, at least, would make way more sense than the words spilling out of his mouth right now.

"Just... Trust me, please?"

Pyria had never heard words spoken in more earnest while simultaneously being so absurd. A complete stranger of a different species, a mercenary hired by her father to escort her to a husband she didn't want, and he begged her to just trust him while claiming he would die for her and wanted her to be safe and happy.

Her own family seemed unconcerned with her happiness, why should he care? It was surreal and strange and too much to fully wrap her head around. Logic would tell her this Roland was after something she just hadn't thought of yet, but he seemed so genuine.

Either he was a very good actor or he meant what he said.

"I don't really have much other choice but to trust you." That much was true enough. She already proved woefully inept at being out here by herself. Roland had saved her life once already, and he was all the protection she could currently count on. It sounded horrible even to her as she thought it, but the giant mercenary could definitely come in handy if she actually could count on his loyalty.

She just wished she knew why he was suddenly so eager to protect her.

"You never did answer me yesterday. Although, I guess the question was posed pretty rudely at the time. I've never met or seen someone like you. What is your kind called?" Pyria questioned quietly as they started moving again, Roland tugging at the reins to lead her horse.

Tags: